PDA

View Full Version : What won't you skimp on?

Violentvixen
06-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Money constraints mean that I often have to skip items on the grocery list or buy a cheaper version of something. But there are some items where I insist on getting a specific brand or getting the item from a specific place even if it's more expensive.

The big one for me is milk. I will get the good milk (preferably from a local dairy) even if it means that I'll have to skip something else on my list.

I very rarely buy meat, but that's another one where I go to the local ranches and pay more for meat that doesn't taste like crap and isn't all fat and antibiotics.

I have several friends who won't skip on condiments or olive oil and stuff like that because they say it makes such a huge taste difference.

Anyway, how about you guys?

djSyndrome
06-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Gasoline. My car's no Porsche, but it has a pretty high-strung engine and it requires premium. I always give it the good stuff from Shell, because the few times I didn't it started knocking quite a bit :\

TheSL
06-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Toilet paper. I'd sooner starve than use single ply.

Edit: Oh, food subforum?

I guess my answer would be cheese, because the cheap brands tend to not taste as good or last as long.

Dizzy
06-04-2010, 01:21 PM
CHOCOLATE!

I MUST HAVE IT ALL

Willm
06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Meat is a big one for me as well. Like you said, I will either go to a ranch or, at the minimum, a local butcher who has high-quality goods.

Bread is a big one as well. I will gladly pay more for quality, freshly baked break instead of buying the nasty, air-filled Wonderbread stuff.

Cheese, no question. There used be a place called Cheesehaven near my home growning up, and they had amazing (and expensive) cheeses from around the world. It spoiled me.

djSyndrome
06-04-2010, 01:24 PM

Bloody hell, I didn't even notice that!

I don't have to skimp on food, because I'm a rich motherfucker and eat small countries for breakfast.

Yeah okay I like deli cheese.

Dadgum Roi
06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I'd love to buy free range meat and shit, but all of the local producers charge about $5000/lb.

Kylie
06-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Meat, because meat. Especially fish.

And because I bake, Butter. Nothing makes the difference between a crappy baked good and an amazing one like a decent butter will.

shivam
06-04-2010, 01:36 PM
fancy cheese and good bread. my wife and i fucking loves us some fancy cheeses and good bread.

Balrog
06-04-2010, 01:39 PM
We make special trips to Braum's for their milk because any other milk tastes like crap. Coke is the second thing I can't skimp on. I drank Sam's choice cola for a couple years when I first got married and I can never go back.

mopinks
06-04-2010, 01:46 PM
I have recently learned that buying big bags of mysterious unidentified generic "apples" is a really bad thing, and instead opt to pay the extra few cents to get some apples with actual names. it's helping me to hate apples less!

also, cheap bacon is terrible. if I'm going to eat bacon, I'm going to do it right. (thankfully I do not eat bacon very often!!)

Sarcasmorator
06-04-2010, 01:50 PM
We usually buy pretty good stuff in general, and generally go for multigrain bread, and real dairy products (I will never, ever buy Kraft Singles). I don't buy any seasoned rice mix but Zatarain's. My wife likes to get organic eggs and milk; I go along even when shopping by myself, if we're not too broke. We get real ice cream (I was actually really annoyed when I realized a lof of Dreyer's products are mostly whey).

Also, we buy high-quality pet food. The benefits really show in their coats. Feebie in particular has fur like a puppy.

Pajaro Pete
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Something you think you can skimp on is something you don't need. Only buy highest quality foodstuff.

Violentvixen
06-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Toilet paper. I'd sooner starve than use single ply.

Eh, whatevs on the food subforum thing. I was thinking about that, but now that you've pointed out the toilet paper thing I have to realize I agree. And I will not get off-brand feminine things under any circumstances.

Also, we buy high-quality pet food. The benefits really show in their coats.

Oh, yeah, this is big too, and it really does make a big impact. I think the most disturbing part was when I compared a "cheap" bag to an "expensive" bag and discovered that the cheap bag wanted me to give the dogs 8 cups of food a day while the better brand only wanted 2 cups a day. Kind of obvious that the cheaper one is crap.

Something you think you can skimp on is something you don't need. Only buy highest quality foodstuff.

Something like flour or sugar, though? I have a hard time seeing a big difference between brands.

Kylie
06-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Flour TOTALLY varies in quality; sugar to a much lesser degree.

Ethan
06-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Putting this in the food subforum kind of makes it hard for me to answer, because food is what I don't skimp on. I would gladly eschew stuff in favor of tasty foods and beverages, and thankfully I haven't ever been in a situation where I have to skimp on both. If I'm having a lean week, I'll still buy the groceries and go to the restaurants that I enjoy. I might forego something truly indulgent, like a restaurant meal with $20+ mains or a bottle of Scotch, but those aren't things I buy on a regular basis anyway.

Sheana
06-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Butter, for sure. The brand and quality of butter really effects cooking & baking in a variety of areas, and not just taste. Though taste is a big factor as well.

Sarcasmorator
06-04-2010, 04:14 PM
sugar to a much lesser degree.

It varies more than you might think. Cheapass brown sugar just has molasses mixed in, for example.

mablem8
06-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Something you think you can skimp on is something you don't need.

That sums up the majority of my spending decisions rather nicely.

Alixsar
06-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I was going to make a gag-post about putting mayonnaise on everything, but then it started to make me feel sick because mayo is so gross.

Kylie
06-05-2010, 04:36 PM
It varies more than you might think. Cheapass brown sugar just has molasses mixed in, for example.

Most brown sugar is just refined sugar with molasses reintegrated, yeah. Different types of sugar taste very different, but I've yet to taste the difference between Refined White Sugar A and Refined White Sugar B. But stuff like Brown Packaged Sugar and Turbinado, yeah, there's a difference.

I overcome this anti-elitist hurdle by putting the husk of a vanilla bean in my sugar dispenser, so that all the boring Refined White Sugar becomes Delicious Vanilla Sugar.

Posaune
06-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Mrs. Renfro's Green Salsa. $3.60-something for a jar. So good.

Cheerios. Except I can through a technicality. The Aldi's version of them are actually Cheerios from General Mills himself!

Balrog
06-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I was going to make a gag-post about putting mayonnaise on everything, but then it started to make me feel sick because mayo is so gross.

I put mayonaise on everything, that's how I eat. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPeHk4WMWpY)

Luana
06-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Soy sauce, milk, fruits and vegetables, bread, cheese, ginger ale, coffee...

... oh, who am I kidding? For someone on a tight budget, I really don't skimp on anything. I just make up for it by eating one meal a day on average.

Nerdy
06-09-2010, 09:57 PM
My mom won't buy macaroni and cheese unless it's Kraft.

Brickroad
06-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Pop Tarts. No, generic store brand, you are not a pop tart. A pop tart is a pop tart.

Kishi
06-09-2010, 11:11 PM
BUTTER

What is the best butter I can buy without traveling to a remote organic butter ranch?

Balrog
06-09-2010, 11:13 PM
I refuse to skimp (/lowers sunglasses) on shrimp.

Dadgum Roi
06-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Pop Tarts. No, generic store brand, you are not a pop tart. A pop tart is a pop tart.

I took a screenshot of this because it is the platonic ideal of a Brickroad post.

Patrick
06-10-2010, 11:17 AM
I always buy good bread. I can't think of much else that I don't skimp on occasionally though, since I'm usually broke.

Daikaiju
06-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I refuse to skimp (/lowers sunglasses) on shrimp.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Olli T
06-11-2010, 02:29 AM
Champagne! I don't have it often (maybe a couple times per year), so when I do, I go for the good stuff. It really makes a difference, at least in my head. Also: bread, potatoes, certain vegetables like asparagus, spices and condiments.

Comb Stranger
06-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Cinnamon Toast Mufuggin' Crunch. I'll get generic for anything else, but nothing in the world tastes like the real CTC.

Captain Keene
06-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Sandwiches. If you're going to make yourself a sandwich, that means you better bloody well do it right. No Oscar Mayer meat for me. How the hell can anyone eat meat that has the texture of pudding?

Maigo
06-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Being Japanese with a Korean wife, it drives me nuts when she buys Korean or Chinese replacements for Japanese food. Rice, nori, and somen must come from Japan. ...Well, rice, can come from California but under a Japanese brand.

Violentvixen
06-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Sandwiches. If you're going to make yourself a sandwich, that means you better bloody well do it right. No Oscar Mayer meat for me. How the hell can anyone eat meat that has the texture of pudding?

Oh, yeah. Cheap sliced meat is something I won't touch even if it's free at an event or something. Gross.