PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms

nunix
06-04-2010, 06:12 PM
The next in a continuing series of themed ingredient threads!

So I've recently come to find the joy of fungi. All I've been doing so far is buying white button mushrooms, slicing 3-4 times vertically, tossing in some butter, salt, and pepper, and either pan frying or oven roasting. They are quite amasingly good! But I feel like there must be other similar, simple treatments for not only these, but other mushrooms.

Any suggestions?

Grignr
06-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I use Baby Bellas. Buy them whole so you can clean off the black gunk. I fry them up with broken-apart Italian sausage.

Kylie
06-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Aren't Portobella mushrooms just big ol' button mushrooms? Making Baby Bellas a palette-swapped fungus?

Enoki are fun. But button mushrooms are pretty terrific on their own.

Try stuffing them with a breadcrumb-gruyere-butter-garlic mixture, and baking. You will not be sorry.

Marfy
06-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Portabellas cooked in balsamic vinegar and garlic. Mm.

Lady
06-04-2010, 08:50 PM
I like to get a package of baby bellas and just toss them in everything to see what happens. I haven't tried making them a focal point yet, though, but I love when other people do.
nummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm n_n

Dizzy
06-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Mushrooms are an overused ingredient in dishes, especially pasta.

mopinks
06-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I love this thing to bits:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/3985447263_1d414cca22.jpg
I'm not even the biggest mushroom fan, but when I eat this I'm all like "MUSHROOMS OH MY GOD MUSHROOMS AHHHHHHHHHH".

Torgo
06-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Plain 'ol button mushrooms sauteed with a little oil, terragon, and seasoned is absolutely wonderful.

shivam
06-05-2010, 12:07 AM
oh my god mushrooms are so good once you stop eating the generic white crap mushrooms everywhere.

my favorite thing to do is make a wild mushroom risotto with red wine, criminis, wood ear, morells, and whatever looks awesome at the farmers market.

portabellas just taste like garbage to me, though.

Torgo
06-05-2010, 12:26 AM
wild mushroom risotto
This man is so, so right. I had nearly forgotten. I made a wild mushroom risotto for school once. It single-handedly proved to me that if I had to eat vegetarian, I could totally live with it.

Ethan
06-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Criminis and dried porcini in Italian food. Shiitake, enoki, and straw mushrooms in SE Asian food. Chantrelles, oyster mushrooms, and whatever is fresh when I do a simple spring/summer sauteed vegetable thing. Portobellos for the grill. Always wanted to work with morels, but the sticker shock gets to me.

The best thing is to take a bunch of dried porcinis and soak them in a pot of hot water for a while until the water turns opaque with porcini essence, aggressively salt that water and use it as the cooking water for pasta, and then fry up those reconstituted porcinis with a little oil and garlic and whatever else and lay it on the pasta.

shivam
06-05-2010, 09:09 AM
chanterelles are the best mushroom. oh man, their earthy flavor is so wonderful.

taosterman
06-05-2010, 09:12 AM
I love this thing to bits:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/3985447263_1d414cca22.jpg
I'm not even the biggest mushroom fan, but when I eat this I'm all like "MUSHROOMS OH MY GOD MUSHROOMS AHHHHHHHHHH".

Wow, I had that last night. Everything you have said is correct.

nunix
04-14-2011, 06:26 PM
What are the strongest-tasting mushrooms?

I have.. plans.

Googleshng
04-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Well, I would hope truffles have some flavor to'em. Out of what's commonly eaten though, I'd say shiitake.

Büge
04-15-2011, 07:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmIsNpDimQ0

Beefy Hits
04-19-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm a big 'shroom fan.

Shiitake are good, but hard to find here in the sticks.

Portobellas are good, and aren't they the vegetarians indulgent dish, like Vegetarian steak, basically?

shivam
04-19-2011, 10:51 AM
that's what meat eaters would like to believe, but no, portabellos aren't vegetarian steak. they just happen to have a rich flavor and are thick like steak, but frankly, they're not very good. They can be, if you doctor the hell out of them, but otherwise no thanks.

fugu13
04-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Their main best quality is holding sauce while having a relatively firm texture; that lets you make an awesome portobello sandwich. But the mushroom's flavor itself isn't so great.

Oyster mushrooms are pretty darn awesome. Well, lots of mushrooms are, but oyster mushrooms are one of my faves.

Tomm Guycot
04-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Enoki wrapped in pig stomach are the best.

Here's my recipe:

I go to Shinsengumi Yakitori in Torrance and I order them.

Lots of them.

mopinks
04-19-2011, 11:37 PM
I think the bacon-wrapped enoki is the only bacon-wrapped item I have yet to order at my favorite yakitori place.

I HAVE A MISSION

wumpwoast
04-20-2011, 05:13 PM
that's what meat eaters would like to believe, but no, portabellos aren't vegetarian steak.

That would be Chanterelles, like you said earlier. ;)

Apparently "le Gourmet Sukiyaki" requires Matsutake mushrooms, which are ridiculously expensive (like $30 for two mushrooms last time I bought some) but still very meaty and tasty when prepared. And like Chanterelles, they apparently grow in the pine and Douglas fir forests of the Northwest US. A friend of mine used to harvest Chanterelles up near Mt. Shasta. Lucky bastard!

Hito
04-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Where's the love for matsutake and maitake? Short of spending every penny you earn on a truffle or two, you're not going to find a more flavorful mushroom.

Lady
04-20-2011, 10:02 PM
I love grilled portabello. Are you saying there is something better? that I could still find at my grocery store?!

Hito
04-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Try marinating and grilling oyster mushrooms or charring morels. Saute enoki mushrooms with soy sauce and mirin. Make a matsutake butter by hydrating matsutakes in melted butter, blending till smooth, cooling, then rolling and cutting the roll as needed. It'll take pork chops or steaks to a level you never thought possible.

In other words, anything but buttons and portabello mushrooms is better.

shivam
04-20-2011, 10:57 PM
oh, i love me some maitake/hen of the woods.

Ethan
04-20-2011, 11:31 PM
The criminis I used to get from my farmer's market were so good. The chanterelles were amazing too, but je$u$ chri$t. And it's even worse with morels.

Red Hedgehog
04-21-2011, 01:04 PM
And like Chanterelles, they apparently grow in the pine and Douglas fir forests of the Northwest US. A friend of mine used to harvest Chanterelles up near Mt. Shasta. Lucky bastard!

There are chanterelles that grow wild in the woods behind a friend's house in Nova Scotia. Picking them and making them for dinner is the best.

Kirin
04-24-2011, 01:24 PM
I used to think I didn't like mushrooms at all. Then I discovered I actually do, it's just that the ones I enjoy are all annoyingly expensive. Like, dried forest-y ones you can get for some ludicrous price per pound (because they're really light, but even so...).

Skimming this thread has affirmed that I'm not crazy.

Büge
04-24-2011, 09:16 PM
I love grilled portabello. Are you saying there is something better?

Yes

Grilled portabello with pesto.

Hito
04-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Yes

Grilled any other mushroom with anything.