PDA

View Full Version : On the Stick podcast

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Evil Dead Junkie
02-08-2011, 10:22 AM
I really enjoyed the second 'cast, especially the horror talk at the end. House of the Devil was a really effective movie at not having anything happen for long periods of time while keeping me in complete suspense for every minute of it. I had rented The Strangers but was too afraid to actually watch it. Home invasion stories scare the hell out of me.

Glad you enjoyed it. It's always nice to get feedback. I think the decision you made on The Strangers was the correct one.

I'm glad Bryce was on to represent my view.

Toy Story 2 > 3 > 1.

Respect Knux.

Balrog
02-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Toy Story 2 sucks pretty hard. It's like Toy Story 1 - charm + annoying as fuck cowgirl.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Toy Story 2 sucks pretty hard. It's like Toy Story 1 - charm + annoying as fuck cowgirl.

psst the impersonate rei contest ended awhile ago.

reibeatall
02-08-2011, 12:26 PM
psst the impersonate rei contest ended awhile ago.

Besides, he would have bombed that pretty hard. I'm not nearly that abrasive.

Calorie Mate
02-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. It's always nice to get feedback. I think the decision you made on The Strangers was the correct one.

I haven't gotten around to House of the Devil yet, but I completely agree that he made the right choice, re: The Strangers.

I wouldn't say it "sucks" but it's definitely the weakest of the three.

ShakeWell
02-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, I see my companions have done a shit job of keeping this thread up while I've been off acting. There're many articles about indie games up on the site for this month, one or two podcasts and today I posted a video (http://www.onthestick.com/118/same-name-different-game-episode-01-life-force-salamander). It's me talking Life Force and Salamander for 22 minutes, so if you're into that, enjoy! Also, we're working on fixing it, but the site cuts off the video, so I'd recommend using the direct link on the page.

Oh, and Ray Barnholt is coming on soon to talk about Scroll and the Game Center CX 2 translation project, so stay tuned for that!

TheSL
02-25-2011, 12:10 PM
The video was pretty rad, but you could stand to either turn up the volume or get an actual mic for the head to the camera sections.

ShakeWell
02-25-2011, 12:36 PM
The video was pretty rad, but you could stand to either turn up the volume or get an actual mic for the head to the camera sections.

True! I will be getting a lav before the I record the next one! Glad you enjoyed it otherwise!

Balrog
02-25-2011, 10:22 PM

This, a million times over. The editing was really good though. It had a nice pace to it and I especially liked the side by side comparison videos.

Alixsar
03-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Shooters are stupid and that guy was ugly who was that oh it was you you're ugly I hate you

Translation: Yeah get a mic it was weird how I couldn't hear you and THEN IT WAS LOUDDDDD

Matchstick
03-04-2011, 11:06 PM
There's a new sheriff in town, and his name is Reggie Hammond (http://www.onthestick.com/121/on-the-stick-27-ejecting-mass). (Translation: new episode is up)

Stephen
03-05-2011, 12:32 AM
There's a new sheriff in town, and his name is Reggie Hammond (http://www.onthestick.com/121/on-the-stick-27-ejecting-mass). (Translation: new episode is up)

Right on.

Alternatively: I should have my dick bronzed.

liquid
03-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Would you guys think less of me if I told you that I'm totally in love with Total Eclipse of the Heart for realz (although I'm partial to the Nicki French version)?

Balrog
03-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Would you guys think less of me if I told you that I'm totally in love with Total Eclipse of the Heart for realz?

Evil Dead Junkie
03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Would you guys think less of me if I told you that I'm totally in love with Total Eclipse of the Heart for realz (although I'm partial to the Nicki French version)?

You have a Kim Pine Avatar. Nothing could possibly make me think less of you.

ShakeWell
03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Oh, hey, look, Ray Barnholt joins us for a two hour epic, suitable for occupying your travel time while you get to PAX East this weekend. Check it here (http://www.onthestick.com/122/on-the-stick-28-salaman-damn)!

Alixsar
03-08-2011, 10:42 PM
How the hell do any of you know Ray Barnholt, again?

AJR
03-09-2011, 01:21 AM
He posts here.

Calorie Mate
03-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Don't worry Eric, I liked your joke at the start of this podcast.

(Having me in your corner may or may not be a good thing in this case.)

widdershins
03-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Whenever I'd hear him on a 1up podcast, Ray always seemed to be "the quiet one" -- I love how by comparison he starts a podcast with you gentlemen by calling everyone motherfuckers, and putting Eric on his shitlist.

I suppose he could put Hearst at the top of his shit list, as a more topical entry than ZD, but then I imagine he doesn't want to get fat and do drunken commercials for frozen peas. Though, I must admit, I've not purchased scroll yet (I only JUST bought the first two volumes of GSQ, so I'm a tad behind the times), so I probably shouldn't crack wise unless I want to get on that list m'self.

Much as I agreed with the entirety of the discussion about playing games to enjoy them, I thought you guys were a little harsh on Daroga's comment from the Pilotwings thread. The way I read it was from the perspective of "I really want to buy this thing on launch day, even though I know I shouldn't because there's nothing much I'm interested in." That is to say, that while he's interested in Pilotwings, it's not a must buy for him, and as such he feels kind of silly using it as a rationale for purchasing the 3DS.

Sure, you can (and did) argue that he shouldn't need a rationale for purchasing it if he really wants it, but I can sympathize with wanting something just to have it, and feeling a bit of retail remorse about that. It's not really limited to gaming -- just boys with toys mentality. You end up using really weak arguments to talk yourself into or out of a purchasing decision, and I can totally relate.

j00ey
03-12-2011, 06:28 PM
The way I read it was from the perspective of "I really want to buy this thing on launch day, even though I know I shouldn't because there's nothing much I'm interested in." That is to say, that while he's interested in Pilotwings, it's not a must buy for him, and as such he feels kind of silly using it as a rationale for purchasing the 3DS.

Like you, I could only read the text and interpret it in my own way, and that's why I wasn't naming names, because I wasn't talking to them or reading their mind. All I know was what they wrote, and I worked from that. If someone wants a 3DS but not one game is persuasive enough at the time, I'm not going to slap that down.

Sure, you can (and did) argue that he shouldn't need a rationale for purchasing it if he really wants it,

I know it sounds like all I said was "if you love games, just do it, derp" but I know there's more to it than that. What I should've spent more time on is that if you don't have a reason to not want something, then where are you coming from? Keeping in mind a reason is different from an excuse. If you have bills to pay, a child, or any other big responsibility that demands your attention, of course that's going to give you doubt, as well it should. But again, I only went by what I read, and it was an odd comment to me because it seemed to come only from insecurity without much weighing of the pros and cons. If I'm wrong, and if your interpretation turns out to be the truth, no problem.

but I can sympathize with wanting something just to have it, and feeling a bit of retail remorse about that. It's not really limited to gaming -- just boys with toys mentality. You end up using really weak arguments to talk yourself into or out of a purchasing decision, and I can totally relate.

Yes. If anything, find stronger arguments! I go through the remorse too, so I know I'm not perfect, but if someone's feeling guilty EVERY time they treat themselves, then something's gotta give.

I dunno, maybe I'll do some public speaking and an infomercial about this. And find a way to include forex trading.

McClain
03-12-2011, 06:40 PM
How the hell do any of you know Ray Barnholt, again?

^
Psst, this is his super secret identity.

daroga
03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
I think you guys read just a wee bit too much into that little post. I was just being silly; no great pangs of conscience to be seen!

It was really more of a surprise that one of the launch games actually had my interest and at that point got me thinking about getting a 3DS at launch (which I am happily doing, by the way :) ), as I had previously written it off until at least this summer.

ShakeWell
03-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Hey, there's some PAX stuff up on the site now. This includes:

1) A podcast recorded in my & Stephen's hotel room, with Coffee and Zef joining the regular band of miscreants. (http://www.onthestick.com/125/on-the-stick-29-no-sleep-til-pax-east)

2) A goofy video of us playing DOOM with fart music (which is to say, the 32X version). (http://www.onthestick.com/124/on-the-stick-at-pax-east-2011-we-play-doom-32x)

3) A goofy video of me braving the show floor to return Stephen's cell phone to him. (http://www.onthestick.com/126/on-the-stick-at-pax-east-2011-the-show-floor-and-eric-s-cell-phone)

4) An interview with Shane Bettenhausen about El Shaddai. (http://www.onthestick.com/127/on-the-stick-at-pax-east-2011-interview-with-shane-bettenhausen-of-ignition-games)

Stephen
03-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Much as I agreed with the entirety of the discussion about playing games to enjoy them, I thought you guys were a little harsh on Daroga's comment from the Pilotwings thread.

I missed this post (and the rest related to that episode) 'cause I was busy reveling in the grandeur of PAX last weekend. I still haven't listened to that cast (Joe edited it), but none of us were really satisfied with how that conversation played out and we definitely didn't mean to sound harsh. The interesting part of that topic related to the type of writing Ray was going for in Scroll (which I have since read and enjoyed), but we got totally derailed.

Don't worry Eric, I liked your joke at the start of this podcast.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1088/fistpound.jpg

widdershins
03-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Sadly, even with Shane the audio's just a bit too drowned out for me. Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the pain of subtitling it, but a transcript would certainly be sweet. Especially for when you guys post the FPW interview -- I'm really curious just how full of shit he is.

Also, you touched on it, but between Joe's promo and talk of his (pretty awesome sounding) game, you never mentioned: did you bring up the podcast war with Schafer? Was he amused?

Alixsar
03-22-2011, 02:35 PM
If you guys wanted to play Doom 32X, I could've just sent you mine/my 32X.

Incidentally, let me guess: Shane thinks it's the best thing since all things ever?

Stephen
03-22-2011, 07:56 PM
If you guys wanted to play Doom 32X, I could've just sent you mine/my 32X.

Incidentally, let me guess: Shane thinks it's the best thing since all things ever?

Shane did seem pretty enthusiastic. Go figure!

And yeah, we could have done that to get our Doom 32x, but it wouldn't have been the same.

Balrog
03-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Just finished the PAX episode, it was good stuff. I demand more Zef in future episodes.

Calorie Mate
03-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I keep forgetting to say so, but props on the PAX episode's title.

Evil Dead Junkie
03-28-2011, 10:57 PM
The new On The Stick is good. You should listen to it.
(http://www.onthestick.com/129/on-the-stick-30-sam-raimi)
I say as a completely impartial observer.

Ethan
03-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I hope y'all gave A Simple Plan the props it deserves. One of the best movies of the '90s.

liquid
03-28-2011, 11:31 PM
So am I the only one who absolutely loves the evil Peter Parker bits of Spider-Man 3?

And apropos of the scientific discussion at the beginning of the podcast... (http://liquid.do-ob.com/DSA8-243.pdf)

Evil Dead Junkie
03-28-2011, 11:39 PM
I hope y'all gave A Simple Plan the props it deserves. One of the best movies of the '90s.

We give it its due (despite Eric's Bill Paxton allegry).

But after watching it again I think I underrated The Gift.

No Love For Evil Peter Parker?

I love evil Peter Parker. Just not jazz club Evil Peter Parker.

Adrenaline
03-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Enjoying this podcast. Man, I've been watching too many "classics" lately. I need to watch a few insane movies.

ShakeWell
03-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Ey, it's Wrestlemania Week On the Stick! I'm sure you've heard the new Action Cast!, but now the 2nd episode of Same Name, Different Game is up. It's (unsurprisingly) Wrestlemania! (http://www.onthestick.com/131/same-name-different-game-episode-02-wrestlemania) Check it out!

widdershins
03-31-2011, 02:57 PM
I like the star on your belly button, brah.

The sound for the on-camera portions is vastly improved, dude. Fun to watch and well edited. Can't wait to see more of these.

ShakeWell
04-01-2011, 12:31 AM
I like the star on your belly button, brah.

The sound for the on-camera portions is vastly improved, dude. Fun to watch and well edited. Can't wait to see more of these.

Fun fact about that tattoo: it was far and away the most painful one. It ranks up there with my nipple rings for the most painful body mod I have.

Stephen
04-01-2011, 06:39 AM
And apropos of the scientific discussion at the beginning of the podcast... (http://liquid.do-ob.com/DSA8-243.pdf)

Male ducks are vile. I used to think giant spiders and giant sharks were scary, but can you imagine the damage a giant male duck could do with this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwjEeI2SmiU) (NSFW if your boss frowns on videos of duck ejaculation)

widdershins
04-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Man, what the fuck is it with you guys. You do this to me every time.

Yesterday I watched Spider-Man.
Today I watched Darkman.
And then, I was in Best Buy looking for a reasonably priced usb video capture device (no dice), and somehow the Blu Rays for Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness found their way into my cart.

I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY GOT THERE.

OH WELL, I'D BETTER WATCH THEM NOW.

K BAI.

ShakeWell
04-02-2011, 12:11 AM

Today I watched Darkman.
And then, I was in Best Buy looking for a reasonably priced usb video capture device (no dice), and somehow the Blu Rays for Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness found their way into my cart.

K BAI.

Just be glad the Darkman NES game (http://www.onthestick.com/133/raimifest-darkman-nes) didn't find it's way in there.

Or WWF Betrayal (http://www.onthestick.com/132/wrestlemania-week-meat-in-a-garbage-can-wwf-betrayal) for that matter. Ugh.

Ethan
04-02-2011, 12:27 AM
My most vivid NES WWF game memory is from Rage In The Cage Steel Cage Challenge. I played it as Bret Hart and beat the entire main mode by spamming the punch button nonstop.

Evil Dead Junkie
04-02-2011, 02:01 AM

Today I watched Darkman.

K BAI.

So shouldn't you be... thanking us?

widdershins
04-02-2011, 09:28 AM
So shouldn't you be... thanking us?

Indeed! That was an evening well spent.

widdershins
04-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Oh god... it's up...

And it's 84MB....

Hold me.

MCBanjoMike
04-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Three hours? THREE HOURS??

Ethan
04-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Hahahahahaha!

widdershins
04-03-2011, 07:56 AM
I gotcha for THREE hours.

Three hours of PLAYTIME.

EDIT: Man, I remember about 50% of what I'm hearing. I was such a sleep-starved zombie when we recorded this.

R.R. Bigman
04-03-2011, 08:30 AM
That's too much Stick.

ShakeWell
04-03-2011, 10:32 AM
That's too much Stick.

Search your soul as ask if there is such a thing.

Adrenaline
04-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah I hope you guys aren't offended if I don't listen to you talk about a wrestling pay per view for 3 hours.

Ethan
04-03-2011, 11:23 AM
We don't talk about one. We talk about 27.

AJR
04-03-2011, 11:23 AM
I think it's pretty safe to say a lot of regular listeners wouldn't be up for a three hour podcast about wrestling.

But I'll listen.

j00ey
04-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Pri-fuckin'-orities.

ShakeWell
04-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Yeah I hope you guys aren't offended if I don't listen to you talk about a wrestling pay per view for 3 hours.

Not only am I offended as a member of onthestick.com, I take it personally! You asshole! No, actually, we fully expect that not that many of our regular listeners will listen, but we felt like doing it and it's our site, so we did.

Also, if you grabbed it earlier and it sounds like ass, it's been fixed now.

Ethan
04-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Worth mentioning: you were actually only one pound off in calling my billed weight. I weighed 235 pounds a few years ago when I last got my ID updated, so that's what it says to this day. I've lost weight since then, but I am officially still "billed" at 235 by the Illinois Secretary of State's office. You said 236.

widdershins
04-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Sadly Joe's probably not far of on my and Jeremy's combined weight. I'm embarrassed by what my portion of it is.

McClain
04-03-2011, 07:54 PM
As a lapsed wrestling fan (and only a brief one at that) I'm enjoying your history lesson.

I wish I had a friend who hosted a Wrestlemania party so I could get an annual fix.

Ethan
04-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I've been pimping (http://www.namcrazy.com/blog/2011/4/4/191-minutes.html) y'all out (http://www.namcrazy.com/blog/2011/3/30/the-wait-is-over.html). At 10 unique hits per day, getting linked from my website will surely catapult you to the next tier of stardom.

Alixsar
04-03-2011, 08:38 PM
3 hours about wrestling? Fuck that.

TheSL
04-04-2011, 06:49 AM
3 hours about wrestling? Fuck that.

I might still listen if I get really bored, though.

MCBanjoMike
04-04-2011, 06:38 PM
I had some really boring work to do by myself after hours, so I listened to this. All of it. It was actually OK, to be honest; even though I don't enjoy watching wrestling, I can kinda see why you folks are so into it. That said, as someone who once tolerated wrestling and then grew to hate it (due to a traumatic experience that I've told Joe and Eric about), what is one wrestling match that is so good that it might actually entertain me? If you can link it via YouTube, I will watch it, I promise.

AJR
04-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I listened to this yesterday. It was actually pretty good.

ShakeWell
04-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I had some really boring work to do by myself after hours, so I listened to this. All of it. It was actually OK, to be honest; even though I don't enjoy watching wrestling, I can kinda see why you folks are so into it. That said, as someone who once tolerated wrestling and then grew to hate it (due to a traumatic experience that I've told Joe and Eric about), what is one wrestling match that is so good that it might actually entertain me? If you can link it via YouTube, I will watch it, I promise.

It may not be my #1 match of all time, but it's the first to come to mind that contains all the elements of what I love about pro wrestling: Magnum TA vs. Tully Blanchard in a Steel Cage "I Quit" Match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maSQzzn5HHs).

Ethan
04-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Yes, I'm glad you linked me to that match a few weeks ago because it's outstanding. It feels so intense and violent, even though it doesn't have nearly as much objective violence as "extreme" wrestling from the '90s forward.

Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat from WrestleMania III would also be a good choice. It's on DailyMotion, though the quality is pretty cruddy.

TheSL
04-05-2011, 11:20 AM
I know I'm a week late, but I'm finally breaking down and watching ED2 and Army of Darkness because of last week's 'cast. I'd put it off so long because my wife hates Bruce Campbell, but fuck it, I'll watch without her.

liquid
04-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Loved this one, guys. Couple questions, though:

1) If I wanted to pick up a half dozen or so wrestling DVDs, what would you recommend?

2) Was Joey Pink typically a face or a heel?

ShakeWell
04-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Loved this one, guys. Couple questions, though:

1) If I wanted to pick up a half dozen or so wrestling DVDs, what would you recommend?

2) Was Joey Pink typically a face or a heel?

(Note: availability on these may vary)

1) Bloodbath: Wrestling's Most Incredible Steel Cage Matches (http://www.amazon.com/WWE-Bloodbath-Most-Incredible-Matches/dp/B0000DIJOS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1302152116&sr=8-1), The Rise and Fall of ECW (http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fall-ECW-Bill-Alfonso/dp/B0001Y4LZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1302152139&sr=1-1), The Life and Times of Mr. Perfect (http://www.amazon.com/Life-Times-Mr-Perfect/dp/B00120LPP6/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1302152187&sr=1-1), ECW Deep Impact (http://www.amazon.com/ECW-Extreme-Championship-Wrestling-Uncensored/dp/B000059WIW/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1302152212&sr=1-1), The Monday Night War (http://www.amazon.com/Monday-Night-War-WWE-Nitro/dp/B0001CCXCA/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1302152139&sr=1-4), Ric Flair and the Four Horsemen (http://www.amazon.com/Ric-Flair-Four-Horsemen-Discs/dp/B000LC3III/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1302152235&sr=1-1), The Best of Monday Night Raw 1993-2008 (http://www.amazon.com/WWE-Best-RAW-15th-Anniversary/dp/B000VXWK8Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1302152257&sr=1-3), Revival of Super Hero: Tiger Mask Final Collection (http://www.highspots.com/product.asp?id=19627), Better Than You: The Best of CM Punk (RoH) (http://www.amazon.com/Ring-Honor-Best-Punk-Better/dp/B000OQJ2GI)

2) Heel, baby.

BONUS: As we said on the podcast, if you want to read a great, GREAT book about wrestling, you owe it to yourself to read The Death of WCW (http://www.amazon.com/Death-WCW-WrestleCrap-Figure-Present/dp/1550226614).

Calorie Mate
04-06-2011, 11:17 PM
I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but did you guys talk about Mick Foley's Have a Nice Day (http://www.amazon.com/Have-Nice-Day-Blood-Sweatsocks/dp/0061031011/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302156923&sr=8-2), too? I enjoyed that one. (Haven't gotten around to reading The Death of WCW yet, though.)

widdershins
04-07-2011, 02:56 PM
I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but did you guys talk about Mick Foley's Have a Nice Day (http://www.amazon.com/Have-Nice-Day-Blood-Sweatsocks/dp/0061031011/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302156923&sr=8-2), too? I enjoyed that one. (Haven't gotten around to reading The Death of WCW yet, though.)

We talked about it briefly when I mentioned that it's fun to read it and count the number of Al Snow jokes contained therein. I'd also recommend Chris Jericho's book, which I read recently. He's not the writer that Foley is, but he as an exceptionally strong voice that makes it a joy to read. I've read Hogan and Hart's books as well, but neither is really much to write home about.

TheSL
04-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Speaking of wrestling, does anyone else remember the time Hulk Hogan, Mr. T, Mike Tyson and Jean Claude Van Damme teamed up to fight crime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKFjdN5ypRc&NR=1)?

Balrog
04-08-2011, 11:07 AM
You ever heard of those Native Americans that suspended themselves from hooks and the pain reached a point where their spirit left their body? That's what the last two episodes felt like. C'mon, guys.

Falselogic
04-08-2011, 11:10 AM
You ever heard of those Native Americans that suspended themselves from hooks and the pain reached a point where their spirit left their body? That's what the last two episodes felt like. C'mon, guys.

So you had a religious experience listening to them?

ShakeWell
04-08-2011, 01:03 PM

Ok, I get people not like the 3-hour wrestlecast, but who doesn't like Sam Raimi? Fie on you, sir. Fie, I say!

widdershins
04-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Ok, I get people not like the 3-hour wrestlecast, but who doesn't like Sam Raimi? Fie on you, sir. Fie, I say!

He was maybe referring to the action cast? He's still crazy, but I could understand that more, I guess.

In before "less painful than Crescent Isle" jokes.

Alixsar
04-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I still can't believe you talked about wrestling for three hours. I have a hard time talking about wrestling for three minutes. And you did it for three hours!

ShakeWell
04-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I still can't believe you talked about wrestling for three hours. I have a hard time talking about wrestling for three minutes. And you did it for three hours!

Yeah, because you don't like it. I have a hard time talking about landscape paintings from the 19th century for more than three minutes because I don't give a fuck about landscape paintings from the 19th century. I do, however, like wrestling. In fact, we continued talking for probably another hour after the recording ends AND we could probably have continued beyond that. Because we all enjoy pro wrestling sports entertainment.

Evil Dead Junkie
04-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I hereby start a petition that all On The Sticks should be edited to Django Rheindart. It adds something, though I can't put my finger on what.

Ethan
04-17-2011, 01:25 AM
I love that everyone freaked out about the 3-hour length of the Wrestlemania cast, and now there's a new OTS that's also basically 3 hours long.

Evil Dead Junkie
04-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Uh... Dude It's 2 hours.

Ethan
04-17-2011, 02:01 AM
Weird, it showed up in my feed as 2:44, and then when it finished it became 2:06.

Adrenaline
04-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Weird, it showed up in my feed as 2:44, and then when it finished it became 2:06.

I think that happens sometimes when the original audio file was cut down in length.

Stephen
04-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I think that happens sometimes when the original audio file was cut down in length.

Sometimes I think this is true, but in this case the original was about 2 hours 17 minutes. I honestly have no idea why the run times displayed in iTunes are always wrong and it drives me crazy.

I hereby start a petition that all On The Sticks should be edited to Django Rheindart. It adds something, though I can't put my finger on what.

Django's music should be the score for everything.

MCBanjoMike
04-17-2011, 09:44 PM

We've had Django ever since episode 1. It's true! For my part, having playing Limbo over the weekend, I finally went back and listened to episode 3 today for the first time. It didn't really clear up all of my questions about that game, though. Oh, and I totally don't see any dead bodies on the title screen, I have no idea what you were talking about.

Ethan
04-17-2011, 11:02 PM

Hidden secrets revealed by vestigal metadata. That reminds me of the Cat Schwartz incident.

If you got that reference, you are a big dork.

liquid
04-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I did, unfortunately.

Meditative_Zebra
04-18-2011, 12:12 AM
If you got that reference, you are a big dork.

Er, uh, no. I couldn't have any idea what you're possibly referring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Schwartz#Personal_life) to.

God, I miss how good TechTV was back before G4 destroyed it.

Ethan
04-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Apparently she's only 33 now. Weird. TechTV feels too old for its young participants to still be young.

Except for Kevin Rose, who will apparently look like he's 19 forever.

Alixsar
04-18-2011, 02:03 PM
I miss TechTV

ShakeWell
04-27-2011, 08:41 PM
So there's a new one of these (http://www.onthestick.com/141/on-the-stick-33-cameltoe-blaze) now. We talk about Streets of Rage Remake, Pixeljunk Shooter 2, I mispronounce some French and Mike corrects me, Dead Space 2 and Primus.

Next week: FRANK CIFALDI!

Calorie Mate
04-30-2011, 04:47 PM
I think Eric hit upon what - deep down - ultimately made me not like Demon's Souls: the optimal way of doing things was the least fun way. In recent years I've just found myself less and less tolerant of that kind of stuff. I understand why people do like it, but it's not for me.

In more positive news, I keep forgetting to say so, but I'm always impressed with Kurt's ability to break down and explain mechanics when introducing a new type of game. Well done, sir. (In less positive news, I'm not a fan of his Album of the Week, but since all four of you liked Primus so I'll just stop talking now.)

Balrog
04-30-2011, 07:34 PM
I really liked this episode and high fives on the album of the week.

TheSL
04-30-2011, 08:21 PM
I think Eric hit upon what - deep down - ultimately made me not like Demon's Souls: the optimal way of doing things was the least fun way.

My solution for everything was AXE TO THE FACE, so I don't know what you're talking about.

ShakeWell
04-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Hey, the new episode of Same Name, Different Game is up on the site (http://www.onthestick.com/142/same-name-different-game-episode-03-mortal-kombat) now. It's about Mortal Kombat (SNES & Genesis/Mega Drive).

ShakeWell
05-12-2011, 05:07 PM
A new episode (http://www.onthestick.com/143/on-the-stick-34-a-whole-different-kinda-banana)! We talk about taffy, game preservation and Bio Force Ape! Oh, and some dude named Frank Cifaldi is on it.

Ted
05-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Rockin! Looking forward to tuning in later tonight. I managed to catch the 1Up live stream of Bio Force Ape, so it will always be inextricably linked to Frank in my mind. I hope he mentions the breakdancer: best enemy ever.

ShakeWell
05-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Rockin! Looking forward to tuning in later tonight. I managed to catch the 1Up live stream of Bio Force Ape, so it will always be inextricably linked to Frank in my mind. I hope he mentions the breakdancer: best enemy ever.

He actually says that exact thing.

shivam
05-12-2011, 10:33 PM
good episode. first time i listened. how many people are on this thing anyway?

Ethan
05-13-2011, 12:05 AM
first time i listened.

This is like a dad only going to one of his kid's little league games.

MCBanjoMike
05-13-2011, 08:51 AM

Stephen (AKA Eric, Meat or ESA), Match, Shake and myself form the core cast, but the extended family of On the Stick guests is pretty vast. Listen to some more episodes and find out for yourself!

widdershins
05-13-2011, 09:53 AM
On the Stick is great, Shivam. You should listen to all the rest now.

(also, action cast)

TheSL
05-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Just avoid that 3 hour wrestling one, yuck.

widdershins
05-13-2011, 10:23 AM
I'd argue, but I'm absolute shit on that one. Still, lots of fun pieces of history!

ShakeWell
05-13-2011, 12:04 PM

Morbid Coffee, Calorie Mate, Reibeatall and Alixsar have been on several times, Ray Barnholt has been on twice, my fiancee was on once to talk about the Schwarzenegger v. EMA Supreme Court case, Squid Brand and Red Hedgehog have been on two or three times and Evil Dead Junkie sometimes appears to talk about spoooooky stuff.

Zef, SilentSnake, RoaringWarg and Rycarshins have each been on once, too. There's probably a couple I'm missing...

Just avoid that 3 hour wrestling one, yuck.

Yeah, it kind of goes without saying that if we do a show that's dedicated to something you're not into (wrestling, The Walking Dead, Limbo, etc.), YMMV.

Stephen
05-13-2011, 12:09 PM
You forgot that one guy who shows up and plays Street Fighter in the background of several episodes. Also Zef was in the PAX episode and Knight has been on a couple as well.

So, it's basically everyone I play XBLA games with.

Balrog
05-13-2011, 12:48 PM
The one I was on was the best :cool:

Stephen
05-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I deleted that one because you never play games with us anymore. http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/images/icons/icon13.gif

Nyarlathotep
05-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Strangely enough I've preserved all the old Retronauts podcasts.

Calorie Mate
05-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Man, that last episode was really interesting. Way, way more interesting than I would have thought "game preservation" would be.

Karzac
05-14-2011, 06:31 PM
I just finished listening to this, and I think it might be your best episode yet, guys. It's at least as good as the NES draft, which was my previous favourite. Of course, Frank Cifaldi is always fun to listen to, but I think you all provided interesting commentary on the subject.

ShakeWell, if the "Kent book" you were referring to was The Ultimate History of Videogames by Stephen L. Kent, I think I can help you out, since I own it.

On page 466, in the chapter entitled "Moral Kombat" Kent writes:

"The home version of Mortal Kombat was released in September 1993 and the sales went through the roof. Over the life of the product, Acclaim sold approximately 6.5 million[ Mortal Kombat cartridges. The Genesis version [...] outsold the edited-down Super NES version by nearly three-to-one

So there's that. He doesn't give a specific source for that information, but the only source notes he provides for that chapter are from the Congressional hearings about MK between December '93 and July '94. Maybe they came from that. More likely, he got them from Acclaim, since I think this book was written before Acclaim went under.

I hope that helps.

Balrog
05-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I deleted that one because you never play games with us anymore. http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/images/icons/icon13.gif

:(

ShakeWell
05-14-2011, 11:24 PM
ShakeWell, if the "Kent book" you were referring to was The Ultimate History of Videogames by Stephen L. Kent, I think I can help you out, since I own it.

I hope that helps.

It was! And it does! But my MK video is already up. :(

Still, I appreciate you looking that up for me!

Ted
05-17-2011, 05:31 PM
So I've been catching up on the back issues and the 1:21 to 1:22 mark on Episode 32 just wreaks me. It's the part where Shakewell is talking about Demon's Souls and he mentions that his idiot savant friend probably plays with assholes and someone says "but what about video games?" Was that MCBanjoMike?

ShakeWell
05-20-2011, 09:58 AM
It's Episode 35 (http://www.onthestick.com/144/on-the-stick-35-what-if-mortal-kombat-was-a-shitty-ray-harryhausen-movie)! The four of us talk about why Mike hates Castlevania III, Outland, Boobs 'n' Goombas and a plethora of awful '90s fighting games!

And yes, Gudfooht, I'm pretty sure that was Mike cracking that particular joke.

MCBanjoMike
05-20-2011, 10:11 AM
I do have my moments.

widdershins
05-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Dammit, Frank picked the album I had in mind for if I was ever asked to select an Album of the Week. Rayguns Are Not Just The Future is fantastic.

Almost caught up with OTS/AC!

Ethan
05-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Oh man, I thought that Killer Instinct music was hot shit when I was 12.

liquid
05-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Man, that particular piece of Killer Instinct music is still hot shit, what are you smoking?

Also, I'm glad someone had the balls to hate on the NES Castlevanias. Fuck those games.

TheSL
05-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Also, I'm glad someone had the balls to hate on the NES Castlevanias. Fuck those games.

III is still leagues better than Super Tech Demo Castlevania IV.

Ethan
05-23-2011, 08:21 AM
It may shamelessly run through all the graphical tricks of early SNES game design, but it's redeemed by the best music of any game ever.

Balrog
05-23-2011, 08:59 AM
I can understand not liking the second half of Castlevania III due to difficulty issues but the first half is soooo good especially after you pick up Grant. It's really a shame that the series is so bound to the Metroidvania style because I would kill for another 2D Castlevania with multiple characters and decent level design.

ShakeWell
05-23-2011, 01:10 PM
I can understand not liking the second half of Castlevania III due to difficulty issues but the first half is soooo good especially after you pick up Grant. It's really a shame that the series is so bound to the Metroidvania style because I would kill for another 2D Castlevania with multiple characters and decent level design.

I'm with that. Did you play Castlevania Adventure ReBirth? I haven't, but I guess it was kinda that...

Falselogic
05-23-2011, 10:00 PM
I can't agree with Mike about Castlevania III, but then if you weren't forged by its fire in your youth I can understand the turn off.

Speaking of shitty fighters I can't believe no one mentioned Eternal Champions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Champions)!

taidan
05-24-2011, 05:16 AM
I listened to my first On the Stick. It was the wrestling podcast, and I thought it was fantastic. I immediately went and watched Rise and Fall of WCW on Netflix, and I'm starting to remember all my old memories of watching wrestling in HS.

ShakeWell
05-26-2011, 10:37 PM
I can't agree with Mike about Castlevania III, but then if you weren't forged by its fire in your youth I can understand the turn off.

Speaking of shitty fighters I can't believe no one mentioned Eternal Champions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Champions)!

Hey! I liked Eternal Champions... kind of. And I would've played it if I had a copy.

AJR
05-26-2011, 11:51 PM
I liked Eternal Champions back when I first played it. I don't have any urge to pick it up again though.

TheSL
05-27-2011, 06:07 AM
The only Eternal Champions I ever played was some Tiger Electronics style knock-off (http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/203/389/612/xW0Q.jpg) from a gift exchange or something. Hell if I know whatever happened to it, though.

Balrog
05-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Yeah, I liked Eternal Champions too. This rental place I went to as a kid let you get 5 games for $5 for 5 days and I'd always get Eternal Champions if I couldn't decide on my fifth game. When the place closed down the guy who worked there told me I had rented it 40+ times. I guess I could have just bought it :o

Ted
05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
When the place closed down the guy who worked there told me I had rented it 40+ times. I guess I could have just bought it :o

If I was that dude I would have given it to you.

Alixsar
05-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Eternal Champions for life. Although I'm glad someone else thought of the name because I couldn't remember. You also neglected Bio Freaks and Clay Fighter, but I doubt anyone cares.

widdershins
05-27-2011, 10:23 PM
I care!

Shut up!
Der, sorry.
FROM THE TOP!

Clay Fighters
CLAY CLAY FIGHTERS
Come on fight 'em if you dare!

Clay Fighters
CLAY CLAY FIGHTERS
Hit 'em, smack 'em, they don't care!

Stephen
05-28-2011, 07:02 AM
There are a ton of fighting games we neglected, but there were only so many Joe and I could play before we lost our humanity.

I'm going to throw "shitty fighting games draft" into my big pile of podcast ideas. Might need some guests for that one though, since I don't think Mike and Kurt hate themselves enough to go 90 minutes on that subject.

Alixsar
05-28-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm down, but I don't know how much new ground we'd be covering considering you and Joe already talked about a lot of stuff

widdershins
05-28-2011, 11:07 AM
I'd be down as well. And if you break into the 32-bit era, there's quite a bit of ground you can cover. I knew my love for dragonball fighting games and Distrega would come in handy some day.

Calorie Mate
05-28-2011, 11:16 AM
You should do a reverse draft, where everyone makes up a list of the worst ones, and everyone gets to pick for someone else.

ShakeWell
05-29-2011, 06:54 PM
You should do a reverse draft, where everyone makes up a list of the worst ones, and everyone gets to pick for someone else.

That's the best idea.

Calorie Mate
05-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Bonus points if you make 'em play each game live, like Eric did with Total Recall. I want to hear the pain.

ShakeWell
06-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Hey! A new video! Strider! (http://www.onthestick.com/145/same-name-different-game-episode-04-strider)

ShakeWell
06-05-2011, 10:14 PM
We're in SPACE! (http://www.onthestick.com/146/on-the-stick-36-portal-2)

This podcast is all Portal 2 all the time. If you haven't played it yet, or don't want it to be spoiled, think twice about listening to it.

Calorie Mate
06-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Great title, guys.

Alixsar
06-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Seriously. Also, I was going to be on this, but then I wasn't..so how good can it really be, you know?

Edit: Hey I'm not an idiot!

Edit Edit: Not done with this episode yet, by so far, by and large I agree with Eric. Good work brosef!

R.R. Bigman
06-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Really good Portal 2 discussion. I remember when word of a sequel to Portal started going around, and people complained how Portal didn't need a sequel. And it didn't, but thank God we got Portal 2 anyway, because it's amazing.

It's like the discussion about Crank 2 from the Action Cast. Crank was a complete package that stood on it's own. It didn't need a sequel, but it got one anyway, and it was fucking(pardon the language) awesome.

It also got me thinking about how similar Portal's ending is to Crank's, with both Chev and Chell lying on the ground, presumably dead, and both end up being dragged away and revived for the sequel.

Red Hedgehog
06-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Shitty games draft sounds like a great idea and I would be happy to contribute. But not if it's shitty fighting games, since I'm not into those.

Calorie Mate
06-09-2011, 09:31 AM
It also got me thinking about how similar Portal's ending is to Crank's, with both Chev and Chell lying on the ground, presumably dead, and both end up being dragged away and revived for the sequel.

Valve's next game should be based on the Crank license. I'd buy all the copies.

Alixsar
06-09-2011, 10:31 AM
If Chev and Chell had a baby, it would be indestructible.

Also, Chev Chelios? Chell? Coincidence? Obviously not. It's official: Portal 1 is Crank 3.

liquid
06-09-2011, 08:05 PM
For a while I was kind of hoping Duke Nukem Forever would be Crank: Actually a Videogame, but the demo put rest to that idea.

ShakeWell
06-10-2011, 07:01 PM
For a while I was kind of hoping Duke Nukem Forever would be Crank: Actually a Videogame, but the demo put rest to that idea.

Godhand is the closest game I can think of the captures Crank's pace and insanity. MadWorld was also a good try... Still, as I said on the Crank Action Cast!, I really want someone to make a Crank game, because it could be amazing.

liquid
06-10-2011, 09:59 PM
God Hand is missing Crank's casual offensiveness, though.

Maybe Saint's Row 3 will deliver the goods.

ShakeWell
06-12-2011, 12:28 PM
God Hand is missing Crank's casual offensiveness, though.

Maybe Saint's Row 3 will deliver the goods.

I'm not sure about that. Maybe it lacks as much casual offensiveness, but certainly the crazy gay characters, the midgets, etc. It's there, just not in as large of a quantity.

ultimatt
06-12-2011, 11:37 PM
I just want to say that I've really been enjoying this podcast. It makes my long drives fly by.

ShakeWell
06-15-2011, 08:12 PM
I just want to say that I've really been enjoying this podcast. It makes my long drives fly by.

Thank you! A new one will be up SOON.

ultimatt
06-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Excellent, keep them coming. I listen to them on my seemingly weekly 10 hour trip. So even though I'm far behind, it won't take me long to catch up!

ShakeWell
06-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Ask and ye shall receive! A new episode is available for your ear canals! Grab it right here (http://www.onthestick.com/147/on-the-stick-37-mike-takes-a-thing-too-far), oh yeeeeeeah, dig it!

Adrenaline
06-17-2011, 05:57 AM
You made the progression in Mana sound like Ratchet and Clank.

widdershins
06-17-2011, 09:03 AM
I was gonna come in here and yell at you 'cause Macho Man is in the N64 WCW games, which are awesome, but I see you already learned the err of your ways on twitter.

Good show, sirs. Good show.

ShakeWell
06-18-2011, 08:12 PM
I was gonna come in here and yell at you 'cause Macho Man is in the N64 WCW games, which are awesome, but I see you already learned the err of your ways on twitter.

Good show, sirs. Good show.

Yeeeeeah. Sorry about that.

ShakeWell
06-24-2011, 08:42 PM
We've got an episode with our buddy Ray Barnholt on coming in the next week, AND I just talked to Leigh Alexander, Frank Cifaldi and Brandon Sheffield and they will be joining us to talk about the relaunch of InsertCredit.com next month. Look forward to it!

dwolfe
06-25-2011, 06:48 PM
We've got an episode with our buddy Ray Barnholt on coming in the next week, AND I just talked to Leigh Alexander, Frank Cifaldi and Brandon Sheffield and they will be joining us to talk about the relaunch of InsertCredit.com next month. Look forward to it!

I'm behind in listening to podcasts (haven't even hit the rich E3 crop) but I'm looking forward to all of those!

Calorie Mate
06-25-2011, 10:12 PM
I finally caught up again, and I'll say it again for posterity's sake: I'm so proud of you, Mike. Great Album of the Week.

Ted
06-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Indeed I will. Ray took the time to answer a question I had about The Sound Test once upon a time. He's good people.

EDIT: Also, posting this here because this is how I found out about VVVVVV. The music composer, Magnus Pålsson (http://www.souleye.se), is a class act. I bought the soundtrack this morning and my download got stuck. He got me sorted out within 10 minutes.

Calorie Mate
06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
He also sent the On the Stick folks a free song as thanks for taking the time to mention his soundtrack in our VVVVVV write up.

ultimatt
07-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Odd request:
In one of the old episodes, someone mentioned a new game developed by the guys that did Caesar 3. I think it might be Hinterland, but I'm not sure.
It was around episode 18~19 iirc.
If anyone can recall of the top of their head what the game was that would be great.

ShakeWell
07-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Hey, we have a new one of these. Ray Barnholt joins us once again to talk about Scroll Magazine, E3 and other random junk.

Get it here (http://www.onthestick.com/149/on-the-stick-38-the-danger-of-democratizing-communications).

Stephen
07-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Odd request:
In one of the old episodes, someone mentioned a new game developed by the guys that did Caesar 3. I think it might be Hinterland, but I'm not sure.
It was around episode 18~19 iirc.
If anyone can recall of the top of their head what the game was that would be great.

I honestly have no recollection of that conversation ever happening and I've never played either game, BUT I did some digging on Google and found out that Chris Beatrice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Beatrice) was a key part of both games. You just must have heard about it someplace else or when I was gone.

Alixsar
07-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Hey whatever happened to that episode I was on that hasn't come out yet? I mean, it was a kinda weak episode so I think it's okay...but just curious

Ted
07-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Hey, a Type O Negative transition! Nicely done.

ultimatt
07-11-2011, 09:59 AM
I honestly have no recollection of that conversation ever happening and I've never played either game, BUT I did some digging on Google and found out that Chris Beatrice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Beatrice) was a key part of both games. You just must have heard about it someplace else or when I was gone.

Thanks!
It was actually on Idle Thumbs #2, I was listening to the podcasts alternatively during a recent trip so got them confused.

I'm over halfway through the archive now!

Calorie Mate
07-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Mixing those two podcasts up is the highest praise On the Stick could possibly get.

ShakeWell
07-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Mate. That is high praise for us. Thank you.

Also, we're recording an episode with Brandon Sheffield, Frank Cifaldi and Leigh Alexander tonight! How fucking awesome is that?

Alixsar
07-11-2011, 03:52 PM
I relistened to the NES draft a while back, and I realized something.

No one took Kirby's Adventure.

What the fuck. Lolo 3? Check. Some random wrestling game? You know it. But Kirby? No? COME ONNNN

MCBanjoMike
07-11-2011, 07:52 PM
I relistened to the NES draft a while back, and I realized something.

No one took Kirby's Adventure.

What the fuck. Lolo 3? Check. Some random wrestling game? You know it. But Kirby? No? COME ONNNN

Kirby games are boring.

Evil Dead Junkie
07-11-2011, 09:04 PM
BTW, I've been catching up with the backlog have you done the Alan Wake revisit yet? Let me know when you do cause I kind of like talking about that game.

MCBanjoMike
07-11-2011, 09:29 PM
BTW, I've been catching up with the backlog have you done the Alan Wake revisit yet? Let me know when you do cause I kind of like talking about that game.

That's coming up soon - I'm playing it now, and I think Joe is supposed to start it soon, too.

ShakeWell
07-11-2011, 10:18 PM

And I didn't even pick that wrestling game!

That's coming up soon - I'm playing it now, and I think Joe is supposed to start it soon, too.

Yeeeeeeah... I need to get on that. Probably for your last appearance before baby times.

Also, Frank, Leigh and Brandon are good people. Look for that soon.

Ted
07-22-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm finding the latest pretty entertaining, but, yeah, you guys must have been having a bad Skype day. So where can I see a clip of the awful indie game (Rush 'n' Punch, Russian Punch, who knows)?

Alixsar
07-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Kirby games are boring.

Oh HELLL NAWWW

You need to back this shit up right now.

Spoilers: it's boring!

I'm finding the latest pretty entertaining, but, yeah, you guys must have been having a bad Skype day. So where can I see a clip of the awful indie game (Rush 'n' Punch, Russian Punch, who knows)?

Here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dol74_2yVg4&feature=related)

I didn't think the audio quality was THAT bad, except for Kurt. I dunno. *shrug*

TheSL
07-22-2011, 12:45 PM
I didn't think the audio quality was THAT bad, except for Kurt. I dunno. *shrug*

Yeah, I'm used to having to turn the shit way up to hear Eric anyway since he's usually a lot quieter than the rest of the group(even though this was worse). Inexplicably, Eric was totally load and clear this time.

Ted
07-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dol74_2yVg4&feature=related)

Oh man, that is some quality stuff. Not bad for Game Dev 101, I suppose. The punching animation sure does resemble a Nordic-trac commercial. And that sound effect for grappling! It really does sound like a seal with the dry heaves.

widdershins
07-23-2011, 12:15 PM
I've never had too much problem with the levels, but then I'm used to some really terrible shit, so as long as things are audible, I don't tend to notice.

Way I understand it, the levelator (http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator) is a pretty decent tool to run stuff through, especially if you don't have studio quality equipment. May be worth a gander -- it's free and will apparently magically make podcasts sound better if you feed it a WAV or AIFF file.

ShakeWell
07-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Leigh Alexander, Brandon Sheffield and Frank Cifaldi join us for an InsertCredit/OnTheStick Podcastravaganza (http://j.mp/qeyT2M)!

Ted
07-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Podcastravaganza!

As long as it's not one of those podcastration deals, I'm down.

Stephen
07-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Way I understand it, the levelator (http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator) is a pretty decent tool to run stuff through, especially if you don't have studio quality equipment. May be worth a gander -- it's free and will apparently magically make podcasts sound better if you feed it a WAV or AIFF file.

I use the levelator a lot, and it's great as long as there's little or no background noise. If there is, it really accentuates the noises so sometimes it's a no go. I need to figure out how to properly compress audio.

When the show blows up and we start raking in the billions of dollars we deserve, I'm going to buy a dedicated podcast studio and fly everyone in every week on the On the Stick luxury airliner.

ShakeWell
07-27-2011, 07:55 PM
I use the levelator a lot, and it's great as long as there's little or no background noise. If there is, it really accentuates the noises so sometimes it's a no go. I need to figure out how to properly compress audio.

When the show blows up and we start raking in the billions of dollars we deserve, I'm going to buy a dedicated podcast studio and fly everyone in every week on the On the Stick luxury airliner.

And we'll always be accompanied by the Action Cast!'s fleet of solid gold lawyers.

Zarathustra
07-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Ohhhhh, Leigh Alexander, guhhhhhhh i love youuuuuu...

I want to be on this show!

ShakeWell
07-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Ohhhhh, Leigh Alexander, guhhhhhhh i love youuuuuu...

I want to be on this show!

We can probably arrange that...

Adrenaline
07-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Was it your intention to severely overstate how difficult episode 39 is to listen to?

ShakeWell
07-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I didn't find it that hard either, but Eric is much more of a perfectionist that I.

Ethan
07-29-2011, 07:29 PM
There wasn't much background noise, but Kurt was pretty hard to hear.

Adrenaline
07-29-2011, 07:42 PM
I never listen to that guy anyway.

ShakeWell
08-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey, a new video (http://www.onthestick.com/152/same-name-different-game-episode-05-aladdin). It's about Aladdin.

Stephen
08-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Was it your intention to severely overstate how difficult episode 39 is to listen to?

No, it honestly did sound really crappy, but at the last minute I found a way to reduce the noise without making everyone sound like robots. The intro/post were already done, so I just left them in.

Zarathustra
08-08-2011, 11:32 AM
We can probably arrange that...

Whoo!~

ShakeWell
08-17-2011, 10:25 PM
HOLD IT!

Do you like the law and videogames? Then you should probably listen to the new episode. Get it here (http://www.onthestick.com/155/on-the-stick-41-the-terminator-vs-videogames).

Falselogic
08-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Where the hell is the SpaceChem episode?

Ted
08-18-2011, 09:28 AM

ShakeWell
08-18-2011, 04:04 PM

I'm not responsible for that one, so I couldn't say.

ShakeWell
08-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Hey, check it out... it's that SpaceChem episode (http://www.onthestick.com/156/on-the-stick-42-collecting-monkeys-in-hard-to-catch-places) the people have been CLAMORING for. CLAMORING, I say!

liquid
08-21-2011, 04:04 PM
That last episode was interesting and informative and all, but I'm glad to see On the Stick getting back to what the fans really tune in for: dick jokes.

Falselogic
08-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Hey, check it out... it's that SpaceChem episode (http://www.onthestick.com/156/on-the-stick-42-collecting-monkeys-in-hard-to-catch-places) the people have been CLAMORING for. CLAMORING, I say!

Yes! Yes!

*crotch thrusts for everyone*

Matchstick
08-21-2011, 08:10 PM
That last episode was interesting and informative and all, but I'm glad to see On the Stick getting back to what the fans really tune in for: dick jokes.

There's a reason I dropped that clip at the beginning of the episode.

Alixsar
08-21-2011, 10:00 PM
I haven't listened to it but the description mentions you guys talking about Star Fox 64 without me.

THIS WILL NOT STAND

Ted
08-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Woohoo! I'll be tuning in on the train to PAX.

*crotch thrusts for everyone*

Is that a waldo in your pocket, or are you just happy to SpaceChem?

Stephen
08-22-2011, 11:07 PM
We went and did videogame draft in honor of the SNES turning 20. (http://www.onthestick.com/157/on-the-stick-43-the-snes-draft)

I fucking love drafts and the SNES is my favorite console so putting this together was the most fun I've ever had recording and editing a podcast. Also, there's about an hour of silence tacked on to the end of it for some reason. I'm working on getting that cleared up, but don't be intimidated by the 3.5 hour run time.

Nyarlathotep
08-23-2011, 03:54 AM
Hey, you're just in time for my three-hour drive north! I am excite.

Also, you should have new guests give their handles. It took me forever to figure out who Jonathon Howard was.

Falselogic
08-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey, you're just in time for my three-hour drive north! I am excite.

Also, you should have new guests give their handles. It took me forever to figure out who Jonathon Howard was.

I'm Falselogic!

Knight
08-23-2011, 10:19 AM
We went and did videogame draft in honor of the SNES turning 20. (http://www.onthestick.com/157/on-the-stick-43-the-snes-draft)

I fucking love drafts and the SNES is my favorite console so putting this together was the most fun I've ever had recording and editing a podcast. Also, there's about an hour of silence tacked on to the end of it for some reason. I'm working on getting that cleared up, but don't be intimidated by the 3.5 hour run time.
FFFFFFFF- I wish I could have been a part of this, as the SNES is my favorite console too. I also agree that the 360 online experience is the only thing that comes close for the amount of fun I've had with video games.

I don't know how I would have decided between Mega Man X or Super Metroid for my first round pick, but right now I'm leaning towards Mega Man X. Which reminds me that I really should get around to finishing that article about it that I've had half finished on my computer for months now. I'm glad I'm not the only one who would have picked Demon's Crest! Such a fun and atmospheric game. Fuck that headbutt minigame though. I also would have picked Illusion of Gaia and Earthbound, probably in my 3rd and 4th picks.

Morbid Coffee
08-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I haven't listened to it yet but my predictions are that Shake Well picked 5 wrestling games that nobody cares about and two of Mike's games are Cybernator and UN Squadron.

Also predict that nobody actually picked games that are good. I heard your NES draft!

Alixsar
08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
I haven't listened to it yet but my predictions are that Shake Well picked 5 wrestling games that nobody cares about and two of Mike's games are Cybernator and UN Squadron.

Also predict that nobody actually picked games that are good. I heard your NES draft!

Not that far off! For those interested (snake draft, order is Me, Joe, Eric, Mike):

A Link to the Past - Me
Super Mario World - Joe
Chrono Trigger - Eric
FFVI - Mike
Mega Man X - Mike
Super Metroid - Eric
Contra 3 - Joe
FFIV - Me
Super Mario All Stars - Me
Turtles in Time - Joe
Yoshi's Island - Eric
UN Squadron - Mike
Out of This World - Mike
ActRaiser - Eric
Street Fighter II Turbo - Joe
Kirby's Dream Land 3 - Me
Secret of Mana - Me
Demon's Crest - Joe
Super Castlevania IV - Eric
Cybernator - Mike

Lightning Round!

EVO - Mike
Kirby's Dream Course - Eric
Super Bomberman - Joe
NBA Jam - Me

Import Games We Like Lightning Round!

FFV - Me
Parodius - Joe
Terranigma - Eric
Rockman and Forte - Mike

The scary thing is we all STILL had games we wanted to pick.

Stephen
08-23-2011, 04:48 PM
I feel pretty confident that we could have gone 3 or 4 more rounds. The SNES library is deeper than Lake Superior and wider than your momma's behind.

Morbid Coffee
08-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Rockman and Forte proves you guys have awful taste.

brb guys currently removing myself from all past episodes right now to be on a podcast that likes good games

Mr. Sensible
08-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Well, you do enjoy Minecraft, so I think it evens out. ;)

liquid
08-24-2011, 03:07 AM
All-Stars? Really? You dweebs.

TheSL
08-24-2011, 05:52 AM
Boring, partner management Kirby's Dreamland 3 over the raw, unabashed multiplayer awesomeness of Kirby Super Star? wtf

ShakeWell
08-24-2011, 11:51 AM

If they were just ports dumped on to the cart (like the Wii version is to the SNES version) it would have been outlawed, but they were rebuilt from the ground up. Hell, I considered Tetris & Dr. Mario.

Alixsar
08-24-2011, 11:51 AM
In this thread, everyone hates me. Also hell yes. I'll address you both later (have to get to class soon).

ShakeWell
08-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Everyone hates all of us. I should have anticipated how much hate we'd get for not having Earthbound on the list, but I didn't.

Falselogic
08-24-2011, 12:07 PM
In this thread, everyone hates me. Also hell yes. I'll address you both later (have to get to class soon).

Everyone hates all of us. I should have anticipated how much hate we'd get for not having Earthbound on the list, but I didn't.

The great thing about the SNES catalog is that there is plenty of games for every type of possible gamer. The breadth of the library is quite amazing. On the Stick people aren't big JRPG people so I didn't expect to see much of that on the list.

You guys are still alright with me.

breakman
08-24-2011, 12:35 PM
I went in to this episode prepared to get mad at the absence of Demon's Crest. Instead, I'm merely disappointed that Super Metroid wasn't picked in round 1.

Alixsar
08-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Really? I've been waiting for it since the second we all signed off Skype.

Fuck that. It's three of my favorite games of all time in one place. Sure, there were other SNES games I could've taken, but I can't have a Nintendo console without Mario. And without Super Mario World, I don't have a lot of options.

Plus, as Mike said, the addition of a save feature in Mario 3 is worth the price of admission alone.

Boring, partner management Kirby's Dreamland 3 over the raw, unabashed multiplayer awesomeness of Kirby Super Star? wtf

Fuck that. Super Star is good, but it's ultimately kinda boring. The multiplayer "awesomeness" is just a handful of crummy minigames. The individual sections are all good, but some are clearly better than others. The good ones are great, but the not-so-good ones are definitely passable. The whole thing has this weird "Kirby Lite" feel to it. Each individual game feels incomplete; like it's missing huge chunks. Plus, and this may be a product of me emulating it, but there's MASSIVE slowdown when you have a lot of things on the screen.

All in all, it's a great game but I feel like Dreamland 3 has a clearer vision and is overall more cohesive. And it looks/sounds great.

ShakeWell
08-24-2011, 02:39 PM
On the Stick people are big JRPG people so I didn't expect to see much of that on the list.

1) I am not a "JRPG person."

2) The game that everyone is upset we didn't include IS a JRPG.

I went in to this episode prepared to get mad at the absence of Demon's Crest.

I would've been mad, too.

Falselogic
08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
1) I am not a "JRPG person."

2) The game that everyone is upset we didn't include IS a JRPG.

I would've been mad, too.

THis is what I get for not proofing my text, I meant to say that the On the Stick people are NOT JRPG people

which makes the rest of my sentence more understandable: "so I didn't expect to see much of that on the list"

TheSL
08-24-2011, 03:07 PM
The multiplayer "awesomeness" is just a handful of crummy minigames.

Have you played it on an actual SNES with two people? Because you can co-op everything but Gourmet Race. I won't argue over the fact that it looks less pretty than its successor, though.

Knight
08-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Pssh, I don't hate you, Link to the Past was a rock solid first pick. My first pick would have been that, Super Metroid or Mega Man X, and which one I would choose would probably vary from day to day. Secret of Mana was a good one, but I probably would have picked it if I could play it multiplayer, because otherwise it's just not as fun.

Eric's got my favorite list though. I love every one of those games, aside from Yoshi's Island. It was alright, but it just never clicked with me.

Mike's Rockman and Forte was a good import pick too, as long as you play as Forte/Bass.

Where's the hate for not picking Earthbound? I mentioned that I would have picked it earlier, but really, that's only because FF6 and Chrono Trigger would have already been taken.

Fuck that. Super Star is good, but it's ultimately kinda boring. The multiplayer "awesomeness" is just a handful of crummy minigames. The individual sections are all good, but some are clearly better than others. The good ones are great, but the not-so-good ones are definitely passable. The whole thing has this weird "Kirby Lite" feel to it. Each individual game feels incomplete; like it's missing huge chunks. Plus, and this may be a product of me emulating it, but there's MASSIVE slowdown when you have a lot of things on the screen.

All in all, it's a great game but I feel like Dreamland 3 has a clearer vision and is overall more cohesive. And it looks/sounds great.
Even without the multiplayer, I would have picked Superstar over Dreamland 3 because Superstar just plays way more fluidly, and I love the tons of powers available. Dreamland 3 has a pretty art style, but I remember it playing kind of slow and clunky (Although it's been a few years since I played it last, so I could be wrong).

Kirby's Adventure has them all beat though. I'm not sure if I'd pick that or Dreamland 2 for best Kirby game though.

liquid
08-24-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm just glad that Cybernator and Metal Warriors (aka the best multiplayer on the SNES) got mentioned.

Alixsar
08-25-2011, 12:01 AM
THis is what I get for not proofing my text, I meant to say that the On the Stick people are NOT JRPG people

which makes the rest of my sentence more understandable: "so I didn't expect to see much of that on the list"

Fuck that. The SNES was the heyday of the JRPG. It's never been the same since. I love SNES JRPGs. But after that? Ehhhh....

Have you played it on an actual SNES with two people? Because you can co-op everything but Gourmet Race. I won't argue over the fact that it looks less pretty than its successor, though.

This is true, but it is also true for Dream Land 3 (player 2 plays as Gooey) so I don't really think it counts as an advantage over the other title.

Eric's got my favorite list though. I love every one of those games, aside from Yoshi's Island. It was alright, but it just never clicked with me.

I sort of agree. My list was robbed by some other people (FUCK YOU MIKE) so I had to make do. I'm okay with it, but Eric's is just as good as mine if not better IMO.

Mike's Rockman and Forte was a good import pick too, as long as you play as Forte/Bass.

I agree 1000% and it was basically between this and what I ultimately picked. I decided not to pick Seiken Densetsu 3 since I picked Secret of Mana, but that's an awesome import game too.

Even without the multiplayer, I would have picked Superstar over Dreamland 3 because Superstar just plays way more fluidly, and I love the tons of powers available. Dreamland 3 has a pretty art style, but I remember it playing kind of slow and clunky (Although it's been a few years since I played it last, so I could be wrong)

You're doing it wrong. When you consider all the partner/ability combinations in Dream Land 3, it actually has more abilities than Super Star. Super Star is great, and you honestly can't go wrong with either, but I prefer the greater number of abilities and the more traditional structure of Dream Land 3. The "games within a game"-way that Super Star is set up didn't do much for me. You just start getting into one of the games, and then it's over. I like it; just not as much. Deal with it /shades

ShakeWell
08-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Where's the hate for not picking Earthbound?

Twitter and Google+, mostly.

Alixsar
08-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Maybe that's because Earthbound isn't good? OH SNAP CRACKLE PIZZZOPPP

TheSL
08-25-2011, 09:24 AM
I stopped caring about Earthbound when Mother 3 was better in almost every way possible.

Zenny
08-25-2011, 08:58 PM
That was great! You all get high fives, especially Alixsar whose list very closely resembles what I would pick under the circumstances (except Kirby, since I haven't played any SNES Kirby games - I hope to remedy that situation soon).

Adrenaline
08-26-2011, 05:49 AM
Half an hour in, the only thing that's bothered me is the Radiohead diss. Then again, I never owned an SNES.

Balrog
08-26-2011, 08:04 AM
I listened to this last night and I thought it was a pretty solid list. I think I could definitely live with the choices but I would definitely take these out:

Out of This World - Mike
Rockman and Forte - Mike

and put these in their place:

Super Mario Kart
Earthbound
Starfox
Umihara Kawase

The crappy thing is that the SNES was such an awesome system with soooooo many good games that capping it at 25-30 is still going to leave out a ton of good stuff. There's a lot of B and C tier games that I have some serious love for like Soul Blazer and Metal Marines but they can't hang with the likes of LTTP, Super Metroid, and others.

tl;dr Your list isn't 100% like mine so you are all wrong but sorta right, whatevs.

Adrenaline
08-26-2011, 08:08 AM
I listened to this last night and I thought it was a pretty solid list. I think I could definitely live with the choices but I would definitely take these out:

Out of This World - Mike
Rockman and Forte - Mike

and put these in their place:

Super Mario Kart
Earthbound
Starfox
Umihara Kawase

Super Mario Kart was already on the list, it just wasn't named by the main four.

Balrog
08-26-2011, 08:18 AM
I thought I heard someone say it but I didn't see it in Stephen's list so...whatever, man.

McClain
08-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I skipped all the comments about how wrong you guys are to tell you that I enjoyed the draft a lot! I like that you picked some games I wouldn't have, or haven't even played.

And unrelated to anything, but Hey Joe, check out this wrestling name chart poster. (http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0068/6272/files/PCL_ProWrestlers_Zoom3.jpg?101724)

Matchstick
08-26-2011, 07:18 PM
I thought I heard someone say it but I didn't see it in Stephen's list so...whatever, man.

It was my contribution to the list at the end of the lightning round.

ShakeWell
08-27-2011, 01:03 PM
And unrelated to anything, but Hey Joe, check out this wrestling name chart poster. (http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0068/6272/files/PCL_ProWrestlers_Zoom3.jpg?101724)

Someone posted that in the wrestling thread. It's fantastic.

Adrenaline
09-02-2011, 06:22 AM
After you unlock an upgrade level for a weapon in Bastion, you can switch back and forth between either option at any time.

ShakeWell
09-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Clearly, you are referring to our new episode (http://www.onthestick.com/158/on-the-stick-44-the-uncanny-valley-of-commentary). On this one, Coffee is a troll, among other things.

ShakeWell
09-05-2011, 09:45 PM
I wrote something (http://www.onthestick.com/159/the-game-doctor-is-dead-long-live-the-game-doctor) about Bill Kunkel.

Alixsar
09-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Whatever happened to that Dragon Age 2 episode? That was interesting! Also I like the sound of my own voice.

Also, Adam Super Mario Kart was on the list. It's also aged terribly so it's kind of hard to pick now.

liquid
09-09-2011, 04:56 PM
http://liquid.do-ob.com/dot%20eye%20emm%20gee/nickelback.png

Ted
09-13-2011, 11:47 AM
So, just wanted to thank you guys for keeping me company on my train ride out to PAX Prime a few weeks ago. Now SpaceChem and the rolling landscape of North Dakota will be inextricably linked in my memory.

In fact, I passed over the Gassman Coulee Trestle as you guys were discussing that one Canadian show (can't seem to find it in the show notes):
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/4810806368_fd2638c01e.jpg

As for the latest episode, I'm a bit surprised that Hammerfight hasn't garnered more love with the show, Eric aside. It has its share of warts, but, man, I can almost feel the testosterone rippling through my veins whenever I land a perfect crushing blow. It's damn cathartic. Tip: If the play control just feels too wonky, try manually lowering the mouse dpi setting to around 330 or so. Made a big difference for me.

Stephen
09-21-2011, 05:21 AM
Holy shit I can't believe I missed that Nickelback tweet. Love it.

As for the latest episode, I'm a bit surprised that Hammerfight hasn't garnered more love with the show, Eric aside. It has its share of warts, but, man, I can almost feel the testosterone rippling through my veins whenever I land a perfect crushing blow. It's damn cathartic.

The problem is that the people I podcast with are STUPID AND UGLY. I wrote a giant love letter article about it for the site, but they were too busy playing inferior videogames to notice. To become a man one can either go through puberty or play Hammerfight. Anyone that does both is twice as manly and will have a thicker, fuller beard to attract the affection of many sexual partners.

And before I forget again, I posted spoiler filled shows about Dragon Age 2 (http://www.onthestick.com/161/on-the-stick-45-dragon-age-2) and L.A. Noire (http://www.onthestick.com/163/on-the-stick-46-la-noire).

TheSL
09-21-2011, 05:34 AM
I played Hammerfight and now I have carpal tunnel.

Ted
09-21-2011, 07:38 AM
I've beaten Hammerfight twice and my wrist is now strong yet supple. Since then I've noticed a faint but building desire to manhandle phone books and frying pans.

MCBanjoMike
09-21-2011, 07:42 AM
To be fair, ESA does have a particularly full and luxurious beard.

ShakeWell
09-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Look at Eric, dropping balls all over the place. He forgot to mention my awesome new episode of Same Name, Different Game (http://www.onthestick.com/162/same-name-different-game-episode-06-super-dodge-ball) on Super Dodge Ball!

Matchstick
09-21-2011, 10:19 PM
ObOTSlikeComment: It's good to see that Eric's balls are finally dropping.

Adrenaline
09-22-2011, 05:18 AM
Who the hell is this Nick character

Knight
09-22-2011, 05:51 AM
Who the hell is this Nick character
That would be me!