PDA

View Full Version : On the Stick podcast

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Alixsar
09-22-2011, 10:01 AM
I like that occasionally throughout the LA Noire podcast you can hear my 3DS making OoT noises.

widdershins
09-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Oh hey, it's been a while since I left you guys comments. And I'm doing it to say something innane!

Yes Kurt, there are a ton of variations, but they are super spaced out. In particular, the four dies, and then all the other numbers hold a funeral for it, and every game thereafter it's replaced by an actual 'f'

Also, there's a game in which the wrong answer prize is you get to adopt a fully grown ex-con, and when the 1 and 0 have sex for question 10, his picture pops out.

To confirm Joe's suspicions, I think all of the Jack packs were pretty much available at launch, so it does indeed have nothing to do with sales.

Also I'm fucking down to play this anytime (so long as you have it on 360). If you're in the mood, PM me, e-mail me, whatever, and I'm down.

ShakeWell
10-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Hey, a new episode (http://www.onthestick.com/172/on-the-stick-48-eric-is-retarded-david-bowie)! We're also now five days into our 31 Day History of Horror Games ( http://www.onthestick.com/tag/31-day-history-of-horror-games/)!

Adrenaline
10-07-2011, 08:11 AM
I bought a ticket for that mc chris tour yesterday, before I even listened to this episode.

liquid
10-15-2011, 09:00 PM
To this day, I get a frisson when I hear a siren.
I learned a new word today!

Ted
10-18-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm digging the new theme on the site.

widdershins
10-18-2011, 08:33 AM
It's pretty rad. Doesn't quite work with all the transparent backgrounds, but I figure it's temporary and sufficiently spooky/badass to not matter.

Stephen
10-23-2011, 11:26 AM
The transparencies look cool, but it's a total pain in the ass to find/make backgrounds that don't obscure at least part of the design. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably start with a different template.

ShakeWell
10-23-2011, 12:08 PM
NEW EPISODE! (http://www.onthestick.com/191/on-the-stick-49-spiteful-brand-boat-oars) Ray Barnholt joins us once again, and we reveal a contest in which you can win a copy of the next issue of Scroll Magazine!

widdershins
10-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Your ingenious ploy worked! Now I'm gonna buy me some scroll so I can win me a contest (also 'cause I'm a fan of Ray's writing and have been meaning to buy them anyway). Good fun to listen to as always, and I don't even care about most of the games under discussion!

Also can't wait for the spookified SN/DG.

ShakeWell
10-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Also can't wait for the spookified SN/DG.

It's right here (http://www.onthestick.com/195/same-name-different-game-episode-07-resident-evil)!

Also, episode FIFTY (http://www.onthestick.com/196/on-the-stick-50-all-your-base-are-belong-to-on-the-stick) is now up!

Alixsar
10-29-2011, 09:20 AM
picks Green Day’s American Idiot as his album of the week

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

No way, man. You guys had a chance to veto this shit and you didn't. You're all failures.

Also, Mike, yes you are crazy for not being excited about this fall's lineup.

Matchstick
10-29-2011, 11:46 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

No way, man. You guys had a chance to veto this shit and you didn't. You're all failures.

You're seriously going to claim that American Idiot is worse than that album that Andy picked?

Serephine
10-29-2011, 12:23 PM
I just want to say that I am so happy I was not the only one to freak the fuck out (http://www.onthestick.com/178/31-day-history-of-horror-games-shadows-of-the-empire) about the Dionaga boss in Shadows of the Empire.

ShakeWell
10-30-2011, 10:52 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Also, Mike, yes you are crazy for not being excited about this fall's lineup.

We have a policy of not vetoing AotW selections. Even when they're something as shitty as what Andy picks. Especially if it's a special guest, i.e. not someone we know from this board.

liquid
10-30-2011, 04:17 PM
But what if somebody picks a Nickelback album, ShakeWell?

What then?

Matchstick
10-30-2011, 04:44 PM

What then?

We never said we wouldn't make fun of people for their picks. Just that we wouldn't stop them from picking.

widdershins
10-30-2011, 06:47 PM
We never said we wouldn't make fun of people for their picks. Just that we wouldn't stop them from picking.

And that's how you remind them of what they really are. HEY-O!

Loved the latest SN/DG, though I hope Joe won't be crestfallen to learn he won't be winning any Vincent Price impersonation contests anytime soon.

Quite enjoyed the latest ep, too (happy 50!). Since I don't really pay attention to any kind of game news, I was blissfully unaware of Harold's book AND Binding of Issac. I think I'm gonna need to check out both post haste.

Alixsar
10-30-2011, 11:31 PM
You're seriously going to claim that American Idiot is worse than that album that Andy picked?

I don't remember what that was, so maybe?

Either way, all I'm saying is that company policy should be revised.

Ted
10-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Either way, all I'm saying is that company policy should be revised.

I would agree if said company policy wasn't conducive to comedy, but it is, so I'm glad to hear it stays.

What then?

More denture jokes.

ShakeWell
10-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Loved the latest SN/DG, though I hope Joe won't be crestfallen to learn he won't be winning any Vincent Price impersonation contests anytime soon.

I might be if I had been specifically going for Vincent Price. Speaking of, the Halloween SPOOKTACULAR (http://www.onthestick.com/201/on-the-stick-51-halloween-spooktacular-2011) is up now.

widdershins
10-31-2011, 10:02 AM
I might be if I had been specifically going for Vincent Price. Speaking of, the Halloween SPOOKTACULAR (http://www.onthestick.com/201/on-the-stick-51-halloween-spooktacular-2011) is up now.

Hehehe, well it seemed like generic spooky dude, which is Vincent Price by default in my mind. :-D

Ted
10-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Forgot to mention: #49: Mike's nod to Connie Francis when Stephen's talking about why he's going with the 360 version of Battlefield 3. Yeah, you made me laugh.

ShakeWell
11-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Gudfooht, you're gudpeople.

Adrenaline
11-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Having just played RE5 I agreed with pretty much everything that was said about it. It also reminded me - what's with introducing that guy with the hood in the beginning and never revisiting the concept? You don't even kill him the once!

Alixsar
11-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Having just played RE5 I agreed with pretty much everything that was said about it. It also reminded me - what's with introducing that guy with the hood in the beginning and never revisiting the concept? You don't even kill him the once!

What guy with the hood? The arms dealer guy? He gets killed by the executioner off screen. Or do you mean the one who puts the Las Plagas into the first Not Zombie you see? Because that's Jill.

Adrenaline
11-04-2011, 05:18 AM
No the giant guy with the axe or whatever

Stephen
11-04-2011, 05:53 AM
This guy? (http://residentevil.wikia.com/The_Executioner) You can defeat him right when you meet him. It's not a great idea on the first playthrough, since it'll cost you almost all of of your ammo, but if you do a second run with the upgraded weapons he's a piece of cake.

Adrenaline
11-04-2011, 06:08 AM
There's no reason to do so though... that game reuses practically every character/monster model it comes up with at least once, so throwing out that unique enemy right at the beginning and not even forcing you to kill him seems odd.

Stephen
11-04-2011, 06:11 AM
They throw tons of them at you in the Mercenaries mode (and there's a red version that's 100x more difficult to kill), but yeah, it's bizarre that an enemy in a Capcom game isn't recycled. They even make you fight some of bosses multiple times!

Falselogic
11-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Listening to the 31 Day History of Horror reminded me that I hadn't listened to Monster Mash on Halloween! My decade long tradition is ruined!

Also: Wish I had been on to chat up H.P. Lovecraft with EvilDeadJunkie...

Alixsar
11-07-2011, 01:24 PM
So I just want to make sure that we're complaining that Capcom did not recycle an enemy. What?

Ted
11-07-2011, 01:44 PM
the Halloween SPOOKTACULAR (http://www.onthestick.com/201/on-the-stick-51-halloween-spooktacular-2011) is up now.

That intro is awesome. I will be firing up last year's spooktacular tonight.

Adrenaline
11-07-2011, 01:50 PM
So I just want to make sure that we're complaining that Capcom did not recycle an enemy. What?

Creating a dude that looks that intimidating and not forcing you to confront him seems weird, is all.

ShakeWell
11-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Creating a dude that looks that intimidating and not forcing you to confront him seems weird, is all.

Is there not an achievement in creating an enemy so terrifying that all you want to do is run from him?

Evil Dead Junkie
11-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Listening to the 31 Day History of Horror reminded me that I hadn't listened to Monster Mash on Halloween! My decade long tradition is ruined!

Also: Wish I had been on to chat up H.P. Lovecraft with EvilDeadJunkie...

Yeah we need to make sure we guest on the same ep sometime.

Alixsar
11-08-2011, 10:18 AM

You fight him right then and there. While you're fighting all the random mooks, he breaks the gate down. Unless if I'm confusing the main game with the Mercenaries level, but I don't think so. Now I'm second guessing myself.

Also, I just now got around to listening to 50 (since iTunes was dumb and didn't download it initially and I didn't realize I skipped an episode) and guys, Shoop Da Woop is a 4chan meme...thing. So that's where that came from. Don't encourage them!

Also also, Isaac may be a good game but it looks gross and the weird religious overtones and crazy vagina monsters and stuff are extremely off putting. I'm not offended or anything and I'm not about to start a boycott or any nonsense like that, but it's also not something I really want to get involved in no matter how good it is. Sorry bros.

Adrenaline
11-08-2011, 10:21 AM
He's there and you can fight him, but you don't have to because all you really need to do is wait for the helicopter guy to blow open the doors. And so I didn't, because I didn't want to use a lot of ammo when I knew I didn't need to. And he never pops up again. I'm not really complaining, I'm just noting that it's weird.

MCBanjoMike
11-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Also also, Isaac may be a good game but it looks gross and the weird religious overtones and crazy vagina monsters and stuff are extremely off putting. I'm not offended or anything and I'm not about to start a boycott or any nonsense like that, but it's also not something I really want to get involved in no matter how good it is. Sorry bros.

Your loss! I'm seriously starting to this that it will be my game of the year.

Falselogic
11-08-2011, 10:26 AM
It would be nice if the game could be skinnable, cause it is ugly/disturbing to look at. But, it's a lot of fun.

Alixsar
11-08-2011, 10:27 AM
He's there and you can fight him, but you don't have to because all you really need to do is wait for the helicopter guy to blow open the doors. And so I didn't, because I didn't want to use a lot of ammo when I knew I didn't need to. And he never pops up again. I'm not really complaining, I'm just noting that it's weird.

No shit? I thought you had to kill him to get the pilot to show up. That is weird, then. Luckily ammo isn't too much of a concern in RE5 so I killed him with no real repercussions.

And if you play the DLC, then you get to play through a small level where the ONLY enemies are reskinned/slightly different Executioners. So you can always get your fill there.

Your loss! I'm seriously starting to this that it will be my game of the year.

Yes, but as you noted, you haven't played the slew of games that are already duking it out for MY GotY (Rage, BF3, Deus Ex, Bastion), as well as the not one, not two, but THREE different Nintendo franchise games that are coming out within the next month that I want. Not to mention the games that came out that I want to play but won't have time for (Dead Space 2). So yeah. I won't lose much sleep over it.

MCBanjoMike
11-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Yes, but as you noted, you haven't played the slew of games that are already duking it out for MY GotY (Rage, BF3, Deus Ex, Bastion), as well as the not one, not two, but THREE different Nintendo franchise games that are coming out within the next month that I want. Not to mention the games that came out that I want to play but won't have time for (Dead Space 2). So yeah. I won't lose much sleep over it.

Deux Ex I'm interested in, but for the most part everything you named falls into the categories of "millionth sequel in the franchise" or "yet another shooter". Isaac is one of the most unique gameplay experiences I've had in years, which is why I think it's so worth talking about.

Alixsar
11-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Deus Ex is still the front runner right now, for that same reason. I know it's a sequel but it's my first experience with the franchise, so it's new to me. As much as I'm loving BF3, it's essentially More Battlefield so it's the front runner for 2nd place. Rage is amazing, but kinda flawed in some regards. I'm loving it and once I beat it I will definitely replay it (and Deus Ex) at some point once the backlog clears. It's the true successor to Doom 2...when you're playing the shooter parts. The driving parts are okay, but I could honestly do without them.

But shit, there's a Mario, Mario Kart, AND Zelda still on the way. I know they're all sequels and if you don't care about that, that's fine. But these are the series that got me into gaming in the first place, and I reserve the right to be excited about new entries in the most enduring and beloved franchises in the medium.

Ted
11-08-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm of the same opinion as Alixsar at the moment about Isaac: it sure looks brown and poopy, but you guys are selling me on it. Hmm, and 50 minutes left on the Humble Bundle offer. I better make up my mind.... okay, I'm in. But I'll be playing it when no-one is looking.

In other news, I spied this over Shakewell's shoulder on SNDG:

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc517/gudfooht/random/shakewellIsCool1.png

Good man, good man.

Ted
11-10-2011, 12:08 PM
So, I gave Binding of Isaac a try. My netbook must be too slow to run it properly because I'm getting a fair bit of slowdown. In busy rooms it drags down to almost Plants vs. Zombies pace. Oh well.

And, I finally tuned in to the NES draft episodes. Stephen won my heart with Lolo.

Stephen
11-10-2011, 06:19 PM
*high-five* I love Lolo, but I don't want him in my house:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8499/loloezl.png

Also, Alex stop being excited about things! It's getting to be embarrassing.

ShakeWell
11-12-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm of the same opinion as Alixsar at the moment about Isaac: it sure looks brown and poopy, but you guys are selling me on it. Hmm, and 50 minutes left on the Humble Bundle offer. I better make up my mind.... okay, I'm in. But I'll be playing it when no-one is looking.

You won't regret it. Especially since you also get Voxatron, which is cool and has already gotten better since the first version released, and Blocks That Matter, and all that other random stuff.

In other news, I spied this over Shakewell's shoulder on SNDG...

Hahaha! Thanks. I'm surprised that that's the one thing that caught your eye. Guess I assume damn near everyone who posts here has some Batman: TAS on their shelf (next to a myriad of other Batman-related DVDs and blu-rays).

Alixsar
11-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Also, Alex stop being excited about things! It's getting to be embarrassing.

Fuck the world [/Anthony's impression]

Stephen
11-13-2011, 08:25 AM
^
|
|
|

That guy, am I right?

Ted
11-14-2011, 06:50 AM
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8499/loloezl.png

Man, that is scary. Put a few teeth on him and he'll be ready for the next Critters movie.

You won't regret it. Especially since you also get Voxatron, which is cool and has already gotten better since the first version released, and Blocks That Matter, and all that other random stuff.

I'm digging Blocks That Matter. Unfortunately, it looks like Voxatron's system requirements surpass the capabilities of my pansy netbook, though. I can get Binding of Isaac to play, but it does suffer some lag in busy rooms. I'll do some more research on how to free up some cpu (I'm looking at you, AVG Free).

Hahaha! Thanks. I'm surprised that that's the one thing that caught your eye.

Well, the box is nice and big and yellow. :) And it has pure awesomeness inside. The series blew my mind when it first aired. I was in that classic high school stage of "cartoons are kid's stuff". Then I saw this and realized that quality is quality, regardless of the medium. So, thanks Batman: TAS. You helped me grow up a little.

ShakeWell
11-19-2011, 11:41 PM
NEW EPISODE! We become Robocops to talk about Deus Ex: Human Revolution. And nothing else. Get it here! (http://www.onthestick.com/203/on-the-stick-52-do-sex-human-resources) Or on iTunes, where I'm sure you're all subscribed. Right?

R.R. Bigman
11-20-2011, 07:31 PM
How spoilery does the latest episode get? I'd like to play the game someday, but I also want to hear you guys talk about the game and make lots of RoboCop jokes.

Morbid Coffee
11-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Wasn't there supposed to be two parts to that?

Matchstick
11-20-2011, 08:52 PM
How spoilery does the latest episode get? I'd like to play the game someday, but I also want to hear you guys talk about the game and make lots of RoboCop jokes.

We get very spoilery. Eveything including the endings are discussed.

Wasn't there supposed to be two parts to that?

Do you mean the Gears chat? That's being done as a separate episode.

ShakeWell
11-23-2011, 06:37 PM
This episode is called "Podcast Fluffer" (http://www.onthestick.com/204/on-the-stick-53-the-podcast-fluffer) and features Morbid Coffee. You figure out the rest.

Alixsar
11-23-2011, 07:36 PM
What you can't talk about BF3 without me. Carfee never even talks about anything. Not fair!

liquid
11-25-2011, 10:15 AM
I think that saying poor AI in old games is misinterpreting things a bit. Sure, there may be some cases when this is true, but a Medusa head in Castlevania doesn't really need advanced AI; its bobbing movement works with the level design to create a challenge. Being in the middle of a flat room as one Medusa head comes at you may not be much of a challenge, no, stick the player on a moving platform as a steady stream of them come, and you've got an interesting setpiece. What a lot of people who haven't played Dark Souls/Demon's Souls don't seem to understand when they hear about the AI is that From Software has figured out how to apply this sort of gameplay to a 3D space. Here's a guy with a sword that jumps at you. Okay, now we'll have one in an alcove to your side. Okay, now here's one hiding behind a destructible part of the environment. Okay, now here's a group of them. Okay, now they're backed by an archer. Now try fighting one on the stairs. While the best strategy for 99% of the enemies is to circle strafe behind them and stab them in the back, they place you in situations where this isn't feasible, like on a narrow ledge, or fighting a group, or something similar. The Souls games value clever enemy placement over clever enemies. (http://www.auntiepixelante.com/?p=499)

ShakeWell
11-28-2011, 09:25 PM
What's this? A lot of Batman talk? Uncharted 3 talk? Old RPG talk in the middle of the fall game release rush? Must be On the Stick! And a preview of our Xmas episode! Check it out! (http://www.onthestick.com/205/on-the-stick-54-drivin-through-your-town-with-his-head-on-fire)

widdershins
11-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Can't wait 'til you guys bust open the Skyrim talk. Loving the everloving fuck out of that game.

Also love the fuck out of that Bangles S&G cover. Whoever's responsible for that, kudos. Didn't mind the folk music, but it wasn't really my cup o' Joe.

Matchstick
11-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Can't wait 'til you guys bust open the Skyrim talk. Loving the everloving fuck out of that game.

We're figuring out right now when we'll do the big spoiler cast for that one.

widdershins
11-29-2011, 08:05 PM

But you could only realistically have played a few hundred hours by now tops! Who gets far enough to spoil anything in such short order? :-D

breakman
11-29-2011, 08:44 PM
RE: Wild ARMs: The first one is definitely still good. The second one...ehhh. I like it, but it has issues. 3 and Alter Code: F (a remake of the first one) are the best ones IMO, but since those are both PS2 games, and this came up in a conversation about PS1 RPGs on PSN, that might not be very helpful.

widdershins
11-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Wild ARMS has some great guitar accompanied whistlin', so I can't hate it.

Stephen
11-29-2011, 10:38 PM
What a lot of people who haven't played Dark Souls/Demon's Souls don't seem to understand when they hear about the AI is that From Software has figured out how to apply this sort of gameplay to a 3D space. Here's a guy with a sword that jumps at you. Okay, now we'll have one in an alcove to your side. Okay, now here's one hiding behind a destructible part of the environment. Okay, now here's a group of them. Okay, now they're backed by an archer.

We never quite brought it all together on the show, but that's what I was trying to get at. The biggest problem with applying that design philosophy to a 3D is that 3D games are slower/larger than 2D ones. Failing in Contra or Ninja Gaiden doesn't cost you much time, but failing in DS can cost you an hour of progress. And I was never killed by an eagle in NG because the camera got stuck behind a boulder.

As I've said before, I'm fascinated by and sort of in love with the Souls games, but they just aren't quite there yet.

RE: Wild ARMs: The first one is definitely still good. The second one...ehhh. I like it, but it has issues. 3 and Alter Code: F (a remake of the first one) are the best ones IMO, but since those are both PS2 games, and this came up in a conversation about PS1 RPGs on PSN, that might not be very helpful.

I didn't play any of the later games, but I really enjoyed the setting of the first one. Maybe I'll rip that and play it when I'm done with Suikoden. Were the sequels full of knotty, acronymed systems like most other PS2 RPG's?

Alixsar
11-30-2011, 12:25 PM

Wait until, like, fucking June (argughghhh) so I can play it. OR DON'T AND I HATE YOU

And I know I told you personally Joe but this must be a matter of public record. You will hate Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. YOU WILL HATE IT STAY BACK

Also, I know I told you personally Joe, but this must be a matter of public record. We need to talk about Nintendo's offerings this year because they are fucking killing it.

breakman
11-30-2011, 12:46 PM
I didn't play any of the later games, but I really enjoyed the setting of the first one. Maybe I'll rip that and play it when I'm done with Suikoden. Were the sequels full of knotty, acronymed systems like most other PS2 RPG's?

I don't think any of them literally have acronyms, but yeah, pretty much. 3 and AC:F mostly replaced equipment with Personal Skills, which increase individual stats, or give resistances to elements/ailments, among other things. The amount of skills you can equip is limited by the character's level.

(The one type of equipment in 3 is Mediums, which contain magic spells, and to which Personal Skills are permanently attached. Distributing them among your characters is a lot like arranging GFs in FF8 to make sure each character has the right junction abilities.)

4 and 5 had a new pseudo-SRPG battle system that takes place on a small hex grid. They also removed most of the customization of Personal Skills, by giving each character their own set from the beginning, and just letting you use more of them as they level up. They brought back weapons and armor, though.

(4 also added platforming (sometimes in 2D), and made tool-based puzzles less interesting by making tools temporary, and only giving you one when you need it for a puzzle.)

Adrenaline
12-01-2011, 06:16 AM
I figured they were married and then separated because they both had rings.

ShakeWell
12-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Was Nathan wearing a wedding band? I totally didn't notice that.

Adrenaline
12-01-2011, 07:59 AM
He wasn't, but remember the last scene in the airport?

ShakeWell
12-01-2011, 08:10 AM
He wasn't, but remember the last scene in the airport?

Yeah, I guess I thought that was the ring he wears around his neck, and the one he lost in the escape was another fake? In hindsight, that seems silly, but this is Uncharted we're talking about.

Adrenaline
12-01-2011, 08:32 AM
The one he lost at the end there was definitely the real one.

breakman
12-01-2011, 02:17 PM
One other thing I forgot, while I'm talking too much about Wild Arms: What makes Suikoden 3's 'Trinity Sight* System' (switching between three different main characters) different is that more than half the game is played that way, whereas in Wild Arms it's just the first hour or two. Also, they stopped doing that after WA3.

*It might've been Trinity Site System, actually. Or both. I forget.

Balrog
12-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the shout out in the latest episode, Joe.

~~~~NEW ADDITION TO THE DRINKING GAME~~~~~~
Every time Matchstick properly uses "per se", take a drink.

ultimatt
12-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the shout out in the latest episode, Joe.

~~~~NEW ADDITION TO THE DRINKING GAME~~~~~~
Every time Matchstick properly uses "per se", take a drink.

I usually listen to this on long drives, there is no way I'm going to make it to my destination now!

Has Joe listened to Idle Thumbs yet? He should really listen to Idle Thumbs.

Keep up the good work!

Ted
12-10-2011, 10:19 AM
I dug up Episode 00 a couple days ago, when you guys were talking about Deathsmiles. So who's the wise guy that put in Gary Puckett and The Union Gap as a bumper track? That was pretty awesome. I'm chuckling about it even as I type.

Ethan
12-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Has Joe listened to Idle Thumbs yet? He should really listen to Idle Thumbs.

Idle Thumbs is great, and everyone should listen to it, but I will be disappointed if the OTS hosts get on a Thumbs kick and start saying "It's pretty much a video game" and things of that nature. I want my Joe Drilling to stay pure, with his profane Kevin Smithisms and his wrestling references.

ShakeWell
12-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Idle Thumbs is great, and everyone should listen to it, but I will be disappointed if the OTS hosts get on a Thumbs kick and start saying "It's pretty much a video game" and things of that nature. I want my Joe Drilling to stay pure, with his profane Kevin Smithisms and his wrestling references.

I am my own man/host. Even if I start listening to Idle Thumbs, I promise I will not pick up any Thumbisms.

Stephen
12-11-2011, 07:50 PM
We have our own annoying crutch phrases, we don't need to crib from IT. Plus, (and here's my dirtiest podcast related secret) I don't really like that show.

I probably reference the CGW/GFW podcast too often, though.

Matchstick
12-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Plus, (and here's my dirtiest podcast related secret) I don't really like that show.

That's not the dirtiest, my friend. I don't like it, either.

MCBanjoMike
12-11-2011, 08:54 PM

I've been resisting the urge to turn every cast into Idle Sticks for almost two years, I think I can manage to continue doing so.

Plus, (and here's my dirtiest podcast related secret) I don't really like that show.

GET OUT

Falselogic
12-11-2011, 09:39 PM
I can honestly say that On the Stick is the only gaming podcast I listen to. Why do I need to listen to people I don't know talk about games I'm already playing?

Much better to listen to people I do know do that.

Also there isn't a lot of time between NPR and SGTU

Alixsar
12-11-2011, 11:02 PM
My dirty secret is that I've never listened to Idle Thumbs.

Actually, my dirty secret is that I don't care, either.

Balrog
12-11-2011, 11:41 PM
My dirty secret is that I've never listened to Idle Thumbs.

Adrenaline
12-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Wow you guys are really cool

Knight
12-12-2011, 07:09 AM
My dirty secret is that I've never heard of Idle Thumbs.

Adrenaline
12-12-2011, 07:15 AM
The coolest!

Ethan
12-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Idle Thumbs is a podcast where three or more smart dudes talk about video games in a thoughtful and experiential way that always leaves one foot planted in the greater world of arts and media. Of all the gaming shows I've heard, it's been the best at avoiding the rabid video game review jargon rabbit hole and the media studies term paper rabbit hole. Also their jokes are good. You should care about listening to it.

TheSL
12-12-2011, 09:51 AM
On The Stick sure made that 9 hour drive back from Denver less boring.

Alixsar
12-12-2011, 10:58 AM
The coolest!

Thanks! :)

ShakeWell
12-12-2011, 01:47 PM
On The Stick sure made that 9 hour drive back from Denver less boring.

We aim to please!

ShakeWell
12-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Hey, a new episode! We talk about Zelda and Mario and... Deus Ex! Again! Check it out! (http://www.onthestick.com/211/on-the-stick-56-swang)

Alixsar
12-17-2011, 11:07 AM
We can never talk enough about Deus Ex. I'm talking about it right now.

MCBanjoMike
12-17-2011, 05:42 PM
We can never talk enough about Deus Ex. I'm talking about it right now.

Oh man, do you remember the part where spoilers? I wanted to see if I could try a thing, and wouldn't you know it, it did or didn't work! God damn, I love this game.

Balrog
12-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Maybe it's because I'm not big on Uncharted but Uncharted is the most boring game to hear someone talk about.

Adrenaline
12-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Maybe it's because I'm not big on Uncharted but Uncharted is the most boring game to hear someone talk about.

I feel the same way about Xbox Live indie games made by bald people

Balrog
12-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Damn, son. Retract the claws.

Adrenaline
12-19-2011, 06:36 AM
JUST KIDDING BRO

MCBanjoMike
12-19-2011, 07:01 AM
I must have missed this due to Skype weirdness, but Kurt said something about there being a Peoples' Republic of Dave in Fallout 3? Holy shit, that's a Rheostatics reference, of all things. My mind is blown.

ultimatt
12-19-2011, 10:32 AM
I must have missed this due to Skype weirdness, but Kurt said something about there being a Peoples' Republic of Dave in Fallout 3? Holy shit, that's a Rheostatics reference, of all things. My mind is blown.

weeeeeird.

Alixsar
12-19-2011, 01:33 PM

I don't know what that is, but I do know that The People's Republic of Dave is a town in Fallout 3 that is run by a man named Dave and it's home to one of the more memorable sidequests and one of the best weapons in the game. So yeah.

MCBanjoMike
12-19-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't know what that is, but I do know that The People's Republic of Dave is a town in Fallout 3 that is run by a man named Dave and it's home to one of the more memorable sidequests and one of the best weapons in the game. So yeah.

All I'm saying is that someone on the Fallout 3 dev team was apparently a big fan of Canadian Shield art rock group The Rheostatics. Peoples' Republic of Dave is one of their oldest songs (though it was first released on Double Live, which came much later in their career) and is so obscure that I can't even find a YouTube link for it.

Ted
12-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Okay, I give. You guys have sold me on Deus Ex, which means I'm picking up a PS3. I'm still on the fence about Dark Souls, though. I'll probably pick it up at some point.

Falselogic
12-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Okay, I give. You guys have sold me on Deus Ex, which means I'm picking up a PS3. I'm still on the fence about Dark Souls, though. I'll probably pick it up at some point.

If you pick up a 360 you might be able to one day play video games with other Tyrants. That doesn't happen as much on the PS3...

Ted
12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Hmm, I see. That would entail me getting internet at home, though. It could happen. Someday.

In the meantime, I'll totally be up for some retro co-op at PAX.

Alixsar
12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
I still can't believe you don't have the internet at home. That's the craziest thing in the world. Get that sorted out before you deal with getting a console. Deus Ex is good but I'd argue that it's more important to get your house/apartment/whatever up to post-1997 standards first.

Ted
12-21-2011, 08:38 AM
After programming web sites for 8+ hours a day, firing up the laptop at home is down towards the bottom of my list of things to do. Coupled with the fact that there are a handful of free wi-fi spots a few blocks away, getting internet at home hasn't ended up being a big priority thus far.

widdershins
12-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah, you guys are hammering it home. I need to get me some Deus Ex action. ...if I ever manage to finish Skyrim. 60 hours, and I've barely scratched the surface, but I'm pretty much ready to finish off the sidequests I'm already on, then tie up the main story. I can always hit the rest of that stuff on my second character!

ShakeWell
12-22-2011, 11:38 PM
It's the On the Stick Xmas Special! (http://www.onthestick.com/214/on-the-stick-57-an-on-the-stick-jugband-christmas) Check it out! Use it to kill time on your drive to see your family!

ultimatt
12-22-2011, 11:47 PM
It's the On the Stick Xmas Special! (http://www.onthestick.com/214/on-the-stick-57-an-on-the-stick-jugband-christmas) Check it out! Use it to kill time on your drive to see your family!

It's just what I wanted! How did you know?

ShakeWell
12-23-2011, 12:36 AM
It's just what I wanted! How did you know?

Peeker Brownies.

There's also a Christmas Action Cast (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/52/action-cast-33-the-only-gigantic-austrian-man-in-minneapolis)!

liquid
12-23-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm glad to see that you decided to kick off the music in this episode the right way.

ShakeWell
12-23-2011, 09:08 AM
You know it. My only problem was deciding which part of that seminal Xmas classic to insert.

widdershins
12-24-2011, 07:47 AM
That was pretty fantastic, you guys. I know I'm considering picking up the Vampire game now.

You should totally expand this to a big community thing, whether on christmas or not, where we set up a big pool. Work it like a secret santa, except you get in touch with your victim ahead of time to figure out what games you'd recommend that they havent played, and have 'em each write a blurb about the experience, and you can pick the best stories to read during the accompanying podcast.

Alixsar
12-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Since it was on sale, I bought Old World Blues on the recommendation of The Stick.

I had heard it was on sale from Joystiq, but fuck if I could find it on XBL's new interface. Holy shit that thing is the definition of a clusterfuck.

ShakeWell
01-15-2012, 06:07 PM
It's a new video! (http://www.onthestick.com/217/same-name-different-game-episode-08-beavis-and-butt-head) I'm taking on two versions of Beavis and Butt-Head for 16-bit consoles!

ShakeWell
01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Ray Barnholt is BACK (http://www.onthestick.com/219/on-the-stick-58-monobivalent).

Alixsar
01-22-2012, 12:11 AM
I haven't listened yet but any podcast that references Metal Wolf Chaos is the best podcast

liquid
01-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Alright, you bastards, I just ordered a copy of Rayman Origins. I hope you're happy with yourselves.

Matchstick
01-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Alright, you bastards, I just ordered a copy of Rayman Origins. I hope you're happy with yourselves.

Very.

R.R. Bigman
01-22-2012, 09:22 PM
What is the console of choice for Rayman: Origins? I've been interested in it for awhile now, but that mouth harp track early in the episode pushed it into "must buy".

ShakeWell
01-22-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm playing it on 360, but I'm using a fightpad. Because, you know, 360 d-pad and all.

widdershins
01-23-2012, 08:55 PM
After I finished the podcast I was immediately assaulted by the Sheik telling me what a great champ-oo-win he is, which I thought was part of the episode, but was in fact an AoW podcast I hadn't finished that auto-queued after OtS finished.

What I'm trying to say here is: the Iron Sheik is a weird dude.

Also that Colt Cabana is very good smart jew business man.

ShakeWell
01-25-2012, 05:05 PM
We made another one of these (http://www.onthestick.com/242/on-the-stick-59-maxed-out-package). Morbid Coffee is on it. We talk about Saints Row and packages.

Morbid Coffee
01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
We made another one of these (http://www.onthestick.com/242/on-the-stick-59-maxed-out-package). Morbid Coffee is on it.

Least downloaded podcast

ultimatt
02-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Shakewell linked this saying he likes it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d9OIy-yc08

Shakewell said an album containing these songs was his album of the year:http://policeteeth.bandcamp.com/track/summertime-bruise
http://policeteeth.bandcamp.com/track/public-defender

Therefore Shakewell's favourite song must be:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgimjMhAIk

(HEY HEY)

Balrog
02-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Shakewell trying to convince Mike that Toejam and Earl isn't a terrible game is the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

ShakeWell
02-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Shakewell linked this saying he likes it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d9OIy-yc08

Shakewell said an album containing these songs was his album of the year:http://policeteeth.bandcamp.com/track/summertime-bruise
http://policeteeth.bandcamp.com/track/public-defender

Therefore Shakewell's favourite song must be:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgimjMhAIk

(HEY HEY)

I hate you.

Adrenaline
02-02-2012, 09:19 AM
I get why people aren't interested in GTA IV's more realistic approach and would much rather play something silly like Saints Row, but I don't get why they always seem to take it a step further and imply or outright say that GTA is bad or wrong for going the way it did.

Alixsar
02-02-2012, 09:54 AM
My thing with GTA is that if I wanted to watch TV or go bowling or watch a Ricky Gervais stand up special or just go outside and drive around, I'd do those things myself, in the real world. I've only ever played GTA games to fuck around. Saint's Row seems to embrace that (haven't played it though and don't really plan to).

TheSL
02-02-2012, 10:05 AM
GTAIV took the open world and tried to constrain it too much for it to be any fun. My biggest beef was the slippery driving physics and invincible until convenient for the mission fleeing cars.

ultimatt
02-02-2012, 04:30 PM
I hate you.

You can't hate me, I'm a regular listener!

In fact, I should be in charge of the podcast!

...uh.

Carry on.

widdershins
02-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Step off, dawg. Who's the guy that's gets cited as rationalization for Joe going off on wrestling tangents? That's right -- Widdershins, the O.G. regular listener. Aw hells yeah.

Alixsar
02-02-2012, 07:34 PM
So you're the one to blame! You have signed your death warrant, sir.

Edit: Incidentally, here's that Michael Fantasy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZEAC27GysI) thing Eric mentioned. The best part is when giant Kirby-Guile fucks up his flash kick and everything turns negative for a second. Because who hasn't done that?

Also, Michael Jackson fighting Tetris blocks.

Edit Edit: Also also, you guys are dumb. You CAN just watch someone play Abobo's Big Adventure. Youtube, bro. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JZ4QSGUDNo)

ShakeWell
02-05-2012, 01:23 PM
GTAIV is bad. One of the biggest disappointments in recent memory. Basically, Rockstar wants to have its cake and eat it, too. They tried to make a deep, personal story about a man getting away from his past, and juxtaposed it with gameplay of a full-on psycho running over pedestrians and using machine guns on public streets. To say nothing of the game's not-so-subtle parody, which also doesn't jive with the story.

And the fucking cherry on top is that you have to obey traffic laws. If you don't you get a wanted level, which you have to lose to start a mission.

Fuck that game. It's narrative is so divorced from it's gameplay that Nathan Drake's wholesale pirate slaughter looks like spilled milk and it's a chore to play if you want to move said narrative forward.

EDIT: Widdershins, Ultimatt, you two fight nice, or I'll turn this podcast around! I heart(skull) you both.

widdershins
02-06-2012, 10:57 AM
But, daaaaaad... he started it.

To say nothing of the game's not-so-subtle parody, which also doesn't jive with the story.

This was the kicker for me. I didn't have a problem with the more serious tone, even juxtaposed with all the rampant carnage, but the subtle-as-a-sledgehammer "commentary" in the radio/TV/etc pulled me right out of the experience. It was like trying to re-read the comics I thought were so badass in the 90's.

Adrenaline
02-07-2012, 10:30 AM
And the fucking cherry on top is that you have to obey traffic laws. If you don't you get a wanted level, which you have to lose to start a mission.

...What? The only traffic law you have to obey is "don't ram into cop cars", just like the old games.

TheSL
02-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Saints Row 3 is so good. I'm glad I listened to you guys. I never take the elevator leaving the penthouse- that's what parachutes are for.

ShakeWell
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
There's an elevator in the penthouse?

Balrog
02-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Listening to the Stickies now. Anthony doesn't like new EDF :(

Falselogic
02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
AND I WON!

games I most likely already own, but, still WINNING!

MCBanjoMike
02-09-2012, 01:01 PM
games I most likely already own, but, still WINNING!

Dude, if you already own these games, I'm not going to give you them again. Is there at least one of them that you don't already own?

Falselogic
02-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Dude, if you already own these games, I'm not going to give you them again. Is there at least one of them that you don't already own?

I don't have HammerFight

Adrenaline
02-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Give me the video games

Nah don't

Ted
02-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't have HammerFight

There's a demo for that little problem: http://www.koshutin.com/, click the "Steam: Buy this game" logo, click "Demo Version", .exe get. Off you go!

Either you'll suck or you'll feel 150% more manly on the spot.

MCBanjoMike
02-09-2012, 02:05 PM
No no, he gets Hammerfight as part of our AWESOME CONTEST GIVEAWAY. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't exclusively stuff he already had.

Ted
02-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Oh, gotcha.

Well, however it happens, get hammering ASAP!

Calorie Mate
02-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Listening to the Stickies now. Anthony doesn't like new EDF :(

I tried, man, I tried. It just wasn't the same. :(

Alixsar
02-10-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm finally getting around to listening to the xmas podcast and I keep screaming at my PC because I know all of the questions about Ogre Battle 64 Kurt is asking and Mike doesn't know the answers to. Not to mention that you guys are glossing over a lot of things (mainly how obtuse the game is...which is not to say you're not saying it's obtuse, just that you aren't illustrating how deep the rabbit hole goes). If you ever finish it and want to talk about it again, I'll take you to school.

It's super awesome though everyone should play it.

Eric: There are no Queen songs, unfortunately.

Joe: Ogres show up later, but yeah, you fight a shit ton of ogres.

Matchstick
02-16-2012, 09:20 PM
So, people mentioned the Stickies, but none of us linked to it. Allow me to rectify that (http://www.onthestick.com/244/on-the-stick-60-the-2011-stickie-awards).

We also did a big spoilercast on Skyrim (http://www.onthestick.com/245/on-the-stick-61-skyrim).

Adrenaline
02-17-2012, 06:33 AM
High Elves live on Sumerset Isle.

Wood Elves live in Valenwood, which has the giant walking tree cities.

ultimatt
02-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Man that Bryce dude sure likes movies.

I'm not sure if I even watched 10 new movies last year.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-17-2012, 01:14 PM

That's... accurate.

TheSL
02-17-2012, 01:19 PM

I'm not sure if I even watched 10 new movies last year.

Just wait until his 14 tiers of Jackie Chan on an upcoming Action Cast.

ultimatt
02-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Is that really a thing? I'll listen to that. I've watched a decent chunk of Chan movies (though not recently)

So I went through a release list, I didn't watch a single movie that came out last year. I guess I don't like movies?

Best Movie of 2011 - Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

ShakeWell
02-17-2012, 06:21 PM
That's... accurate.

Dude, I think you like movies more than vaginas, pumpkin beer and money put together. (Into a wad of pumpkin vagina cash.)

R.R. Bigman
02-17-2012, 09:52 PM
How much do you guys spoil in the Dovakast? Should I beat the main quest and Guilds before listening?

Evil Dead Junkie
02-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Dude, I think you like movies more than vaginas, pumpkin beer and money put together. (Into a wad of pumpkin vagina cash.)

That is also accurate... PROBABLY.

Also my next band will be called Fourteen Tiers Of Chan.

liquid
02-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Incredible. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2QUZ9T_KhI)

ShakeWell
02-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I told you guys this!

"As long as The Rock still has his palatial palace on South Beach..."

Stephen
02-19-2012, 09:37 AM
How much do you guys spoil in the Dovakast? Should I beat the main quest and Guilds before listening?

When we recorded it, only one of us had actually finished the main quest line, so we don't really talk about the end. And I don't think we talk too much about the outcomes of specific guild quests either. It's hard to spoil a game like Skyrim, since the destination is never as interesting as the journey, and the journey is different for everyone.

I'm impervious to spoilers though, and I'm not very good at determining what is and isn't a spoiler. If you're concerned about it, wait until you finish.

So, that really happened? It wasn't some crazy fever dream?

Incredible. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2QUZ9T_KhI)

I saw that last year when I was going over all the old Wrestlemanias. It's weird and a lot of fun to see the Rock cut a promo that isn't a string of catchphrases. He's a clever dude and it sucks that he's been leaning on the same batch of crutch phrases for the past 13 or 14 years.

MCBanjoMike
02-19-2012, 08:58 PM
When we recorded it, only one of us had actually finished the main quest line, so we don't really talk about the end. And I don't think we talk too much about the outcomes of specific guild quests either. It's hard to spoil a game like Skyrim, since the destination is never as interesting as the journey, and the journey is different for everyone.

I'm impervious to spoilers though, and I'm not very good at determining what is and isn't a spoiler. If you're concerned about it, wait until you finish.

We hardly talk about the main quest at all, actually, but we do spoil some things for the various guild quests. The Black Brotherhood, in particular, gets spoiled pretty heavily, and one or two points in the mage's college and Companion's quest lines get mentioned. I mostly agree with Stephen, but the point-by-point dissection of what you do with the Dark Brotherhood might bother you, if you're trying to avoid spoilers.

R.R. Bigman
02-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Even though I probably won't do the Dark Brotherhood questline due to my inability to do bad things in games, I'll try to skip past it.

MCBanjoMike
02-20-2012, 06:45 AM
All that talk is pretty much clustered together, so when you hear Jonathan start getting into it, just skip 5 minutes or so ahead.

widdershins
02-21-2012, 03:34 PM
To whoever was doing their impression of Skyrim's music: you kind of sounded like Tim Taylor. I lol'd.

Mike, you are a wonderful human being. The J'zargo thing was amazing.

As far as cool in-game stuff goes, one of my favorites was the quest that the Jarl of Solitude's right hand man gives you. First off, as soon as he gave it to me, I pickpocketted him, and snagged the note he sends you after you complete the quest -- before I'd even started it.

Then, inside the cave where the wolf queen's worshipers are gathering to resurrect her, there's an large chamber where they're summoning all kinds of crazy magic energy. I was able to fire off a couple of well placed shots from the room's entrance that triggered an epic battle between the draugers and the necromancers. By the time I climbed up, everyone was already dead.

...then a courier delivered a copy of the note I already had to me. :-D

Matchstick
02-21-2012, 06:29 PM
To whoever was doing their impression of Skyrim's music: you kind of sounded like Tim Taylor. I lol'd.

That was me. I was thinking something similar when I was listening back to it. Not exactly the thing I was going for.

liquid
03-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Finally got around to watching 13 Assassins. Based on Bryce's fondness of it, I as afraid that it might not be quite as playful as a normal Miike movie, but nope, there's a lady with no limbs, some flaming cattle, and the dude with the knife through his neck.

Bryce, if you like it when Miike does legitimately good films, you owe it to yourself to see Audition and Dead or Alive 2.

Evil Dead Junkie
03-03-2012, 09:13 AM
I did see Audition and will admit that it's pretty damn effective. Isn't Dead Alive 2 the one with the feces boiling?

I have to say the limbless girl is the perfect example of what Miike is doing differently in 13 Assassins. IHe actually wants you to feel for her, in another movie it'd be like "Haha, It's funny because she has no limbs or tongue."

liquid
03-03-2012, 03:24 PM
The first Dead or Alive is the one with the girl getting drowned in the feces. The second has no relation to it other than sharing the same lead actors. There are still a couple of over the top scenes that are played for laughs, but the movie actually has a hell of a lot of heart. It's probably the best of his films I've seen.

A lot of his movies that first came to the US were taking a piss, and I'm not sure if the people bringing them over were just cherrypicking the crazy stuff (the guy does, like, half a dozen films a year) or if he's just mellowed out over the years, but the man can be pretty damn sentimental when he wants to.

You miiiiight dig Zebraman, but I'm not sure.

ShakeWell
03-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Gozu is still the best thing Miike has done (that I've seen, which doesn't include DoA2 or 13 Assassins).

Evil Dead Junkie
03-04-2012, 10:51 PM
See the only Takashi Miike film I actually like, besides 13 Assassins is Fudoh, and that's mostly because Fudoh looks awesome and I tend to tune out everything else about it.

widdershins
03-05-2012, 01:35 AM
See, I was introduced to Miike via The Happiness of the Katakuris which is fantastic fun in an "Intentionally Bad Musical That's Also A Horror Comedy Romance Movie" kind of way. Seeing as there was no torture or rape, and only incidental murder, I was not prepared for the rest of his oeuvre.

Definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't -- it's unlike anything else of his I've ever seen.

Adrenaline
03-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Did I miss it or did you guys just not mention Ice Cube when talking about The Isley Brothers? Because I thought it was funny that the song you played was the one that was sampled for his song and all those articles about it were just going around recently.

Evil Dead Junkie
03-05-2012, 09:43 AM
See, I was introduced to Miike via The Happiness of the Katakuris which is fantastic fun in an "Intentionally Bad Musical That's Also A Horror Comedy Romance Movie" kind of way. Seeing as there was no torture or rape, and only incidental murder, I was not prepared for the rest of his oeuvre.

Definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't -- it's unlike anything else of his I've ever seen.

I like that movie to an extent, but man that movie did not have to be almost two hours long.

widdershins
03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
I like that movie to an extent, but man that movie did not have to be almost two hours long.

This is true. Still, that movie is near and dear to me just based on the circumstances that led to my seeing it.

In college, I majored in Japanese Language and Literature, and lived in a dorm that was part of a special program: everyone on my floor was either studying Japanese or was an exchange student. One day, my friend Dan and one of the exchange students went to Blockbuster to find a movie to watch in the foreign section. When they found a DVD with what appeared to be the cover to The Sound of Music with Japanese people on it, the decision was made for them, and we went in knowing nothing more than that.

When it opened with perhaps the most bizarre bit of claymation we'd ever seen, we were very confused. When the whole family breaks into the most hilariously bad musical number ever over discovering their inn's first patron has committed suicide, all of our shit was lost forever.

Also, Richard Sagawa is the best character ever. "Yo momma wa beautiful, ne"

Zenny
03-05-2012, 08:01 PM
I am just now at the end of Skyward Sword. So much rage!

I really need that Zelda mini-spoilercast soon. Sometimes the only way to deal with a problem is to commiserate or at least listen to other people complaining about the same thing.

Alixsar
03-05-2012, 11:12 PM
I am just now at the end of Skyward Sword. So much rage!

I really need that Zelda mini-spoilercast soon. Sometimes the only way to deal with a problem is to commiserate or at least listen to other people complaining about the same thing.

Basically go in the SS thread and read every post I made. Then, in a deep voice, say that you agree with me. That's the ghetto version of Kurt and I bitching. Mostly me. I think Eric was there too and was just tired and had nothing to say. We probably should've had Knight on since he liked it but fuck fairness.

Stephen
03-06-2012, 07:11 AM
I was playing Mass Effect 2 the whole time, but yeah that's basically how it went.

Did I miss it or did you guys just not mention Ice Cube when talking about The Isley Brothers? Because I thought it was funny that the song you played was the one that was sampled for his song and all those articles about it were just going around recently.

I'm pretty sure I did mention it. I wasn't aware that it had been in the news recently, though. What was the hub-bub?

Adrenaline
03-06-2012, 07:29 AM
People were speculating on the actual date of the "good day" in question, based on all the variables like when Yo MTV Raps was on and when the right basketball team won. Just yesterday Ice Cube said there was no real "good day", it's just an amalgamation of his idea of what a good day would be.

Knight
03-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Basically go in the SS thread and read every post I made. Then, in a deep voice, say that you agree with me. That's the ghetto version of Kurt and I bitching. Mostly me. I think Eric was there too and was just tired and had nothing to say. We probably should've had Knight on since he liked it but fuck fairness.
Yea, you should have, but I don't know what I would have said other than "Sorry bro, it just clicked perfectly for me, and I had little to no trouble with anything." Maybe if was still fresh in my mind I could come up with something, but my only complaints off the top of my head was that flying got boring and tedious real quick, having to re-fight The Imprisoned three times was annoying, on top of being an annoying fight, and the note fish hunt was stupid. Ghiriham was the shit though.

People were speculating on the actual date of the "good day" in question, based on all the variables like when Yo MTV Raps was on and when the right basketball team won. Just yesterday Ice Cube said there was no real "good day", it's just an amalgamation of his idea of what a good day would be.
Even if it's been deconfirmed, I'll still consider January 20th to be National Good Day Day (http://murkavenue.tumblr.com/post/16553509655/i-found-ice-cubes-good-day).

http://i.imgur.com/Ie2rU.gif

liquid
03-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Man, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who found Monkey Watch to be a complete brick wall.

breakman
03-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Will a podcast be recorded at PAX East? If so, any idea when?

ShakeWell
03-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Yes, but no panel, so... We don't know yet.

R.R. Bigman
03-18-2012, 05:19 PM
When is the promised Skyward Sword spoiler cast?

Morbid Coffee
03-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Hey guys can I be on the PAX podcast?

Dizzy
03-19-2012, 12:03 PM
The first Dead or Alive is the one with the girl getting drowned in the feces.

It was a small-sized pool filled with semen.

Stephen
03-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Man, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who found Monkey Watch to be a complete brick wall.

Fuck Monkey Watch.

When is the promised Skyward Sword spoiler cast?

I just posted it a few hours ago. I feel like a turd when they don't get posted in a timely fashion, but real life stuff (and Mass Effect 3) makes it hard sometimes.

Hey guys can I be on the PAX podcast?

Who told Carfee about the podcast?

Ted
03-19-2012, 02:15 PM
So any chance you guys would entertain a live studio audience at PAX?

R.R. Bigman
03-19-2012, 08:58 PM
The last five minutes or so of the PHENOMENAL Skyward Sword spoilercast are missing. Seriously, listening to Alixsar and Matchstick shit on Skyward Sword for fifty minutes almost made playing the game worth while.

The Zelda series has really gone to hell. So has Metroid. I'm not looking forward to the WiiU if the only series they have left is Mario.

Matchstick
03-19-2012, 09:41 PM

We entertain audiences all the time! Hey-ooo!

I just posted it a few hours ago.

For those that need a link, it's here (http://www.onthestick.com/251/on-the-stick-64-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword).

The last five minutes or so of the PHENOMENAL Skyward Sword spoilercast are missing. Seriously, listening to Alixsar and Matchstick shit on Skyward Sword for fifty minutes almost made playing the game worth while.

Happy to be of service. It was cathartic. ;)

Stephen
03-20-2012, 08:15 PM

The Zelda series has really gone to hell. So has Metroid. I'm not looking forward to the WiiU if the only series they have left is Mario.

Thanks for the heads up! It has been fixed and you can download the updated version right here, (http://traffic.libsyn.com/onthestick/on_the_stick_64.mp3) if you want. I assume that an incredible amount of time and effort went into getting the motion controls right, and that probably played a big role in how mediocre everything else is.

We only have a small hotel room to record in, so unfortunately we'll have to limit it to just the core group of cast members.

Also, Kurt? That joke? BOOOOOOOOOOOO

ShakeWell
03-20-2012, 08:39 PM

We only have a small hotel room to record in, so unfortunately we'll have to limit it to just the core group of cast members.

Well... unless someone has a studio that we can use. Then I'm sure we'd be more than happy. Who owns a victorian home in Boston?

Morbid Coffee
03-20-2012, 08:49 PM
I'll start a contest to get one lucky listener to take my spot at PAX.

Stephen
03-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Who told Carfee about the podcast?

Morbid Coffee
03-20-2012, 08:58 PM
I'll start a contest to let one lucky listener take the other side of Mike's hotel room bed.

Matchstick
03-20-2012, 09:03 PM

I know....I know.

ShakeWell
03-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Hey, it's double spoilercast week at On the Stick, so if you want to listen to me, Stephen, Matchstick, Morbid Coffee and Evil Dead Junkie talk for two hours about how fucking awesome Saints Row the Third is, have I got a podcast for you (http://www.onthestick.com/252/on-the-stick-65-saints-row-the-third)!

Contains spoilers.

Ted
03-21-2012, 09:02 AM

Gotcha. There's always hanging out at the TT meet ups, which I'm sure will prove just as much fun.

widdershins
03-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Hey, it's double spoilercast week at On the Stick, so if you want to listen to me, Stephen, Matchstick, Morbid Coffee and Evil Dead Junkie talk for two hours about how fucking awesome Saints Row the Third is, have I got a podcast for you (http://www.onthestick.com/252/on-the-stick-65-saints-row-the-third)!

Contains spoilers.

I bought and played through this game in part so that I'd be ready for the spoilercast. Once I'm done with WaM, I'm queueing this shit up hard.

Falselogic
03-21-2012, 10:31 AM
I guess I need to get Saint's Row 3

breakman
03-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Hey ShakeWell, what NGPC games do you have? Are you bringing any to PAX?

Matchstick
03-21-2012, 06:58 PM
I guess I need to get Saint's Row 3

You totally do.

ShakeWell
03-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Hey ShakeWell, what NGPC games do you have? Are you bringing any to PAX?

Sonic, KoF R2, SNK vs. Capcom: MotM, Last Blade, Puzzle Bobble, Metal Slug 1st Mission. I would imagine I'm bringing them all.

breakman
03-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Cool, then on Saturday we could try the Vs. modes (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=1273484&postcount=276) on all of those if you want (except Metal Slug, which doesn't have one).

TheSL
03-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Sonic, KoF R2, SNK vs. Capcom: MotM, Last Blade, Puzzle Bobble, Metal Slug 1st Mission. I would imagine I'm bringing them all.

A NGPC without Cardfighters Clash? For shame.

And don't use the "DS version was shit" excuse either, because this one was actually fun.

ShakeWell
03-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Oh, I know. I talked about wanting it on the show! I've only had the thing for like a month. But the Midwest Gaming Classic is this weekend, so I might grab it (both versions?) while I'm there. Otherwise, it's a cheap and easy near future eBay purchase.

Also, Break, do you have a link cable? Because I don't.

breakman
03-24-2012, 08:00 PM
That's what the image I linked to is, yeah. I also have both versions of Card Fighters Clash, so if you have one by PAX time, I can trade you (at least) some of the version-exclusive cards.

Adrenaline
03-29-2012, 07:17 AM
The last fifty minutes of the new episode (after the chiptune version of Hulk Hogan's theme song) are silent.

ProfessorS
03-31-2012, 03:50 AM
Really dug the episode about WWF games, a few observations and comments:

The thing that stands out the most about the WWF Superstars arcade game(aside from that it's totally decent) is Ted Dibiase's voice (http://youtu.be/QCiopZGiKyE?t=3m16s) in the cutscene right before you fight him. He sounds like a pencil-necked geek! Mean Gene and Andre sound pretty strange too.

The reason the first two 16-bit games(Super, Royal Rumble) and Steel Cage Challenge have different rosters on each system is because their releases were staggered a bit. For the record, the SNES version of Super didn't have finishers, but the Genesis version did. The Genesis version also had the theme songs. I actually really like these games despite being them being pretty lousy. It's probably the nostalgia talking. The summer of 1993 was pretty much me renting the Royal Rumble game over and over again. The thing that struck me the most about that game was the roster. It was the first game in the New Generation era, and I didn't recognize a lot of the wrestlers. I was a Hulkamaniac(brother) and a WWF game without him in it seemed unreal.

I still think WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game is a ton of fun. I've never played In Your House, but it doesn't look half as good. It's got these weird, super drab graphics.

ShakeWell
03-31-2012, 02:52 PM
In Your House is awful. It will make you like Wrestlemania Arcade less. Don't ever play it.

And, yeah, I'm gonna fix that silence thing.

Also, there's a new video (http://www.onthestick.com/255/obscure-old-games-episode-02-fire-pro-wrestling-combination-tag) on the site about the first Fire Pro game.

Alixsar
04-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Is it just my computer or did the end of the Zelda spoilercast not...you know, exist? It just stopped at the 40-something minute mark and there was silence for 10 minutes.

R.R. Bigman
04-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Is it just my computer or did the end of the Zelda spoilercast not...you know, exist? It just stopped at the 40-something minute mark and there was silence for 10 minutes.

That happened to me as well, which was terrible since the last ten minutes are wonderful.

Stephen
04-02-2012, 02:42 PM

I fixed it. If you re-download the file, it'll be there. But you were there, man! You know how it went down.

Also, Joe is fixing the Wrestling game podcast ASAP. I'm very disappointed that we both made the same fucked up 10 days apart, and I'd fire both of us, but I don't want to go through the process of hiring my replacement.

Alixsar
04-02-2012, 04:30 PM
I fixed it. If you re-download the file, it'll be there. But you were there, man! You know how it went down.

Yes, but to no one's surprise, I like hearing myself talk.

Balrog
04-02-2012, 06:40 PM
I caught up on my backlog of podcasts in the past couple days and I had it all worked out in my head but I'll just say that y'all muhfuckas is crazy.

Stephen
04-03-2012, 02:02 PM
I won't deny it. What are we crazy about this time?

Balrog
04-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't think Saint's Row 3 or Deus Ex were anything to write home about. Saint's Row 3 was GTA III with an Adult Swim paint job and it felt like it was trying too hard to be edgy, I dunno it just rubbed me the wrong way. What I've played of Deus Ex really hasn't blown me away. It has the same problem as the other story driven FPSs which is that the combat doesn't feel right. Interacting with turrets and hacking doors and sneaking around is neat and all but the combat feels about the same as the first Deus Ex (that's not a compliment btw). Super Mario 3D Land was way better :cool:

I also went and listened to that Red Fang song I thought it was really awesome until they started singing and it sounded like Nickelback.

But props on the Isley Brothers album pick. Nobody besides Stephen said much but I thought it was good times. I had read a book a few years ago and the author talked about how on the surface Footsteps in the Dark is a song about infidelity but the subtext of the song is about the uneasiness Blacks felt as racial equality laws passed. I need to find that book again, shit was crazy.

Alixsar
04-03-2012, 03:10 PM
You're right about Red Fang and I haven't played Saints, but you shut your whore mouth about Due Sex. It's a bit janky but I was totally into it despite the jank.

MCBanjoMike
04-03-2012, 03:40 PM
If the combat felt weird in Deus Ex, it's because you were using a gun or some shit. I used takedowns on like 90% of the enemies in that game, and those felt fine.

Stephen
04-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Adam, I love you, but I think you're the crazy one.

I don't think Saint's Row was trying to be edgy, I thought it was trying to be silly and satirical. The Boss is a completely cliched videogame protagonist, only instead of being forced to be afraid of or antagonized by all the crazy videogame shit, she's fully self-aware of her near omnipotence and decides to roll with it. Also, unlike Adult Swim shows, where everything is nonsense done for nonsense reasons, SR characters have (rudimentary) motivations for their actions. The missions favor spectacle over originality or good gun play, for sure, but I fucking loved the spectacle.

DX, if you play it like a Call of Duty, is probably kinda balls. That's why you hack turrets and toss them into rooms full of fools, break through walls like a suicidal kool-aid man, use vending machines as barricades (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnMNQ91soek) and punch obnoxious break-dancers in the face. DX isn't a great shooter, but it rewarded me for finding alternate paths and alternate methods of fun.

The Nickelback comment is a troll and I'm not going to comment on it, but you should still watch this music video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRKRFjm-HA) Let me know what that book on the Isley Brothers is called, it sounds fucking rad.

Balrog
04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
The Nickelback comment is a troll and I'm not going to comment on it, but you should still watch this music video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRKRFjm-HA)

Dude, that's the exact video I watched. Also, I was totally serious.

Let me know what that book on the Isley Brothers is called, it sounds fucking rad.

I found it. Believe it or not, it's called Footsteps in the Dark: The Hidden Histories of Popular Music (http://www.amazon.com/Footsteps-Dark-Hidden-Histories-Popular/dp/0816650195).

Alixsar
04-03-2012, 10:55 PM
On the one hand I totally get where Adam is coming from, but on the other, I also feel like comparing ANYONE to Nickelback is taking it too far.

widdershins
04-06-2012, 12:08 PM
I think that SR3 is a game with a lot of terrible bits that make a great whole. All the missions are still fun because they don't overstay their welcome and they're well written, but it makes it hard to rate it.

On the one hand, I had a good time from beginning to end. On the other, if I were to strip out the wacky windowdressing, none of the actual mechanics are particularly stellar.

It's why I'd give Deus Ex the definitive edge in the stickies debate.

ShakeWell
04-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Oh, I didn't post this here yet? Ray Barnholt makes his quarterly visit. (http://www.onthestick.com/259/on-the-stick-68-squirt-adam)

Alixsar
04-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Joe put the Journey spoilercast up. (http://www.onthestick.com/260/on-the-stick-69-journey?commented=1#c000104) I'm not on this episode, but I've been told that Eric shares my opinion and no one else on that particular cast does and they all dogpile him. Next time Eric. We'll get these bastards.

Also, if you like spoilercasts and all of us dogpiling on each other, just wait for our ME3 podcast!

TheSL
04-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Also, if you like spoilercasts and all of us dogpiling on each other, just wait for our ME3 podcast!

I'd have to get off my ass an actually play it before I can listen, though.

MCBanjoMike
04-23-2012, 06:14 AM
I'd have to get off my ass an actually play it before I can listen, though.

Strictly speaking, you'd have to get on your ass and actually play it.

Matchstick
04-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Joe put the Journey spoilercast up. (http://www.onthestick.com/260/on-the-stick-69-journey?commented=1#c000104) I'm not on this episode, but I've been told that Eric shares my opinion and no one else on that particular cast does and they all dogpile him. Next time Eric. We'll get these bastards.

As should be obvious by now, we don't have a problem with you holding the wrong opinion on something.

Alixsar
04-23-2012, 04:00 PM
As should be obvious by now, we don't have a problem with you holding the wrong opinion on something.

It should also be obvious to you that next PAX Eric and I will hit you folding chairs.

I haven't finished the Journey episode but I got to the part where Eric said (essentially) "Yeah but Limbo was fun and in this game you just press forward and look at scenery" and I cheered out loud in my car to no one in particular. BROS FOREVER

liquid
05-07-2012, 05:29 PM
You know, it amazes me that you guys haven't done a Streets of Fire Action Cast.

Matchstick
05-07-2012, 05:38 PM
You know, it amazes me that you guys haven't done a Streets of Fire Action Cast.

Have...have you been hanging around outside one of our houses and peeking in the window (while awesome 80s music blasts on the soundtrack)? Also, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Alixsar
05-09-2012, 08:10 PM
YEAH SHUT UP

Also, there's a thread for that (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=10660&page=19)

liquid
05-09-2012, 10:36 PM
It seemed appropriate to mention here, given that you were just talking about Double Dragon.

Let's face it, The Warriors and Streets of Fire basically created the Beat 'em Up.

Alixsar
05-11-2012, 07:58 PM
STOP READING OUR MINDS (also I think you'll like the SoF cast but it won't be up for a while)

R.R. Bigman
05-11-2012, 08:56 PM
The Witcher 2 is a damn good game and I think it would make a great spoilercast. You've done spoilercasts for much worse!

Matchstick
05-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Okay, we have a mole.

Alixsar
05-11-2012, 09:21 PM
We're doing something different for Witcher 2. Don't worry. I'm glad you're enjoying it though.

Also, yeah, let's start water torturing all the regulars Matchstick someone screwed the pooch and we need to find out who...unless if...it WAS YOUUUU *slow motion reach for pistol* NOOOOOO

Morbid Coffee
05-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Witcher 2 spoilercast: This one chick was naked and I banged her so hard.

liquid
05-17-2012, 01:18 AM
So, is Coffee trying to troll everyone when he talks about fighting games, or is he really just that insufferable.

also fuck you kof for life

http://liquid.do-ob.com/dot%20eye%20emm%20gee/peopleselbow.gif

Alixsar
05-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Both.

liquid
06-12-2012, 09:40 PM
The best part of Rush was the secret cave filled with ramps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxd7U8x0NjM). The announcer yelling "It's dangerous!" when you went to select a high-end car was also pretty sweet.

You didn't edit in Witch Doctor? Whoever edited this fell asleep on the job.

Also, this episode's album of the week was great, holy shit.

Morbid Coffee
06-12-2012, 10:12 PM
So, is Coffee trying to troll everyone when he talks about fighting games, or is he really just that insufferable.

Whatever gets your panties in a bunch, honeybun. <3

liquid
06-13-2012, 12:10 AM
hugz 'n' kissez, coffee

ShakeWell
06-16-2012, 10:11 PM
You didn't edit in Witch Doctor? Whoever edited this fell asleep on the job.

Also, this episode's album of the week was great, holy shit.

The first part was totally my bad, but the latter part is to my credit, so... I guess it balances out?

Alixsar
06-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Jet Force Gemini ain't B-tier y'all are crazy

Adrenaline
06-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Yeah, it's not even that good.

It's garbage.

It's a bad video game.

Alixsar
06-17-2012, 05:26 PM
You're garbage

TheSL
06-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Jet Force Gemini ain't B-tier y'all are crazy

Its like, F tier. I'd rather play Chameleon Twist or something than JFG.

Alixsar
06-17-2012, 08:02 PM
What the hell is wrong with everyone ever

Balrog
06-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Don't listen to them, Alixsar. Jet Force Gemini is cool.

widdershins
06-17-2012, 10:09 PM
All the ungraceful aging of Goldeneye, plus doodads to collect. What's not to like?!