PDA

View Full Version : On the Stick podcast

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Stephen
07-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Because Adam demanded it, On the Stick has it's own thread.

Just to recap, On the Stick is podcast Matchstick, MCBanjoMike, Shakewell, a bunch of guests and I have been doing for a few months. We were hosted at the Cast At Demonhead (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=8820) site for long time, because we didn't have a name and I was already paying for that server space. Now we've got our own website (http://onthestick.libsyn.com) and iTunes page (http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/on-the-stick/id383059509).

There's a new episode up, check it out (http://onthestick.libsyn.com/on_the_stick_01_not_without_my_chicken). Special thanks to Mike for doing the editing/production work on this one. I'll never make fun of his mom again.

The-Bavis
07-28-2010, 08:15 AM
What is the subject matter of this podcast? Everywhere I could look to find out more is inaccessible to me at work. If I don't ask here and now, I will forget long before I get home where I can look.

Ethan
07-28-2010, 09:30 AM
It's about microphones and dicks.

Calorie Mate
07-28-2010, 09:51 AM
I meant to post in the C@D thread and say that I'm referring to you guys (Stephen, Matchstick, MCBanjoMike, Shakewell) as the "stick riders" from now on, but evidentally I forgot to. I've been thinking it for weeks, though, so good luck changing my mind!

Falselogic
07-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Listened to the new episode. It's good to know that Shakewell is a pedophile. Wasn't that the consensus at the end?

As much as I like shooters it isnt enough to get me to buy that game.

reibeatall
07-28-2010, 10:13 AM
How often do you guys talk about rape? Or does that only happen when me and Shakewell are together on a podcast?

Calorie Mate
07-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Define "rape".

reibeatall
07-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Define "rape".

I... uhh... don't think I have to...

liquid
07-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Doin' a great job of selling me on this podcast, guys!

The-Bavis
07-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Doin' a great job of selling me on this podcast, guys!

SUBSCRIBED!!!

Stephen
07-28-2010, 03:38 PM
What is the subject matter of this podcast? Everywhere I could look to find out more is inaccessible to me at work.

Pay no attention to the peanut gallery. The podcast is roughly 50% videogames, 35% other forms of media, 14% nonsense... and, fine, about 1% dick jokes. But they're good ones, so it's forgivable.

reibeatall
07-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Pay no attention to the guys who aren't actually on the podcast.

Stephen
07-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh, I see how it is. Sabotage from the jealous.

We'll have you guys on soon. Probably.

Alixsar
07-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Oh, I see how it is. Sabotage from the jealous.

We'll have you guys on soon. Probably.

And then they'll make dick jokes. About your dick. Which is small.

Like Matchstick's, which is why it's called on the stick.

I don't even know what I am saying anymore.

Falselogic
07-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Like Matchstick's, which is why it's called on the stick.I don't even know what I am saying anymore.

It seems to me you're obsessing over the size of Matchstick's junk. We're not even a page into this thread and the homo-eroticism is so thick you could cut with a knife.

Adam
07-29-2010, 09:27 AM
We're not even a minute into this podcast and the homo-eroticism is so thick you could cut with a knife.

Moirae
07-29-2010, 09:43 AM
It seems to me you're obsessing over the size of Matchstick's junk. We're not even a page into this thread and the homo-eroticism is so thick you could cut with a knife.

That's not the only thing that's thick.

Calorie Mate
07-29-2010, 09:55 AM
And then they'll make dick jokes. About your dick. Which is small.

Like Matchstick's, which is why it's called on the stick.

I don't even know what I am saying anymore.

That's not the only thing that's thick.

...so Matchstick's is like a tuna can, then?

ShakeWell
07-29-2010, 08:17 PM
How often do you guys talk about rape? Or does that only happen when me and Shakewell are together on a podcast?

No, we discuss the tree rape scene from Evil Dead in the new episode, so... I'm sorry. I feel like I cheated on you.

Stephen
08-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Before I forget again, there's another On the Stick (http://onthestick.libsyn.com/on_the_stick_02_cliff_hanger) up. I bummed the original intro for this one got lost, it was pretty cool.

MCBanjoMike
08-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Did you folks know that there's a new episode of On the Stick (http://onthestick.libsyn.com/) on the site? It's true!

Dadgum Roi
08-10-2010, 06:48 AM
How is this one different from Cast at Demonhead? It appears to cover the same topics and have the same cast.

MCBanjoMike
08-10-2010, 07:08 AM
On the Stick is a (generally) weekly show with a stable cast consisting of myself, Stephen, Shakewell and Matchstick. It mostly sticks to a format of stuff that we're playing, some news and a music segment at the end. Cast at Demonhead is Silent Snake's community-focused podcast, where he rounds up folks from the forums to talk about various stuff, generally with different people for each topic. Somtimes one of us will be a guest on his show, and sometimes we'll have a guest on ours, so there is a bit of overlap in the people involved. On the Stick started out as a sort of C@D spinoff, but has actually been going for almost 20 episodes - we just took our sweet time in finding a name for it. The two shows are pretty much independent at this point, so if the subjects of discussion seem similar then you should just chalk it up to the common interests of the people on this forum.

However! The newest show is a segment on Limbo (featuring Alixsar), and I don't think that game has been discussed on Cast at Demonhead, so it's all good.

Balrog
08-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Cast at Demonhead and On the Stick are like two members of the same boy band. C@D is the serious tough guy with the goatee who underneath it all is a really nice guy. On the Stick is more of the light-hearted kid who sings falsetto.

TheSL
08-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Did you folks know that there's a new episode of On the Stick (http://onthestick.libsyn.com/) on the site? It's true!

Well, I was thinking about maybe trying that game but there's really no point to it now.

Dadgum Roi
08-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Cast at Demonhead and On the Stick are like two members of the same boy band. C@D is the serious tough guy with the goatee who underneath it all is a really nice guy. On the Stick is more of the light-hearted kid who sings falsetto.

i like had this dream last night where they were both my boyfriend

at the same time

MCBanjoMike
08-10-2010, 12:59 PM
i like had this dream last night where they were both my boyfriend

at the same time

But is there enough Grant to go around?

ShakeWell
08-14-2010, 04:04 PM

Why are we the kid who sings falsetto? I call shenanigans on that!

Stephen
08-14-2010, 05:44 PM
It's because our naturally gruff, manly voices are too harsh for the average listener.

Balrog
08-14-2010, 07:31 PM
The Cure? Really? The Cure? Shake needs to sit in album of the week timeout for a bit. I mean, they have a handful of good songs (like 4 or 5) but everything outside of their singles is just mopey and uninteresting.

Matchstick
08-14-2010, 08:07 PM
I mean, they have a handful of good songs (like 4 or 5) but everything outside of their singles is just mopey and uninteresting.

This is demonstrably incorrect (at least as far as the mopey part is concerned).

The new episode (http://onthestick.libsyn.com/on_the_stick_04_beastin_) that includes the aforementioned Album of the Week is now online. Available at the link above and through iTunes.

Calorie Mate
08-19-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm with Balrog on this.

Also: hey! I subscribed to this in iTunes yesterday. You're welcome.

Alixsar
08-19-2010, 10:39 AM
The Cure? Really? The Cure? Shake needs to sit in album of the week timeout for a bit. I mean, they have a handful of good songs (like 4 or 5) but everything outside of their singles is just mopey and uninteresting.

Oh, great. Now we're going to have to listen to Shake bitch about The Cure. Thanks a lot.

Calorie Mate
08-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Well, he's gotta bitch about something.

MCBanjoMike
08-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I think if anyone here isn't going to bitch about The Cure, it's Shake.

Alixsar
08-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Precisely. He's going to bitch about how wrong Adam is because The Cure is great etc., etc.

Calorie Mate
08-19-2010, 01:34 PM
I'd like to ignore everything of actual consequence you guys talked about on the last episode and instead say: every time a good friend of mine and I start talking about wrestling, someone inevitably mentions Vader, and we immediately start talking about Boy Meets World instead.

This is how I know Shakewell is good people.

mugenkokoro
08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
So I'm checking this out for the first time, which one should I start with? There are a lot of episodes up on your itunes feed, some of which have negative numbers....!?

MCBanjoMike
08-19-2010, 01:49 PM
So I'm checking this out for the first time, which one should I start with? There are a lot of episodes up on your itunes feed, some of which have negative numbers....!?

The "negative" episodes are just the ones that we recorded before finally choosing our new name. They're all quite fine! If you're wondering where to start, you should try...let's say, Cliff Hanger. I think that one's all right, but I may be biased.

mugenkokoro
08-19-2010, 02:07 PM
I started at the first one, the one you guys did at PAX East. It's good! It REALLY makes me want to do a regular podcast about gaming, but I don't know enough good friends in my area who are gamers and would want to do a podcast.

mablem8
08-20-2010, 07:08 AM
We have two of those podcasts here at Talking Time. I'm sure you could Skype in and do a couple of segments!

mugenkokoro
08-20-2010, 10:08 AM
We have two of those podcasts here at Talking Time. I'm sure you could Skype in and do a couple of segments!

That would be bitchin'!

I'm going through all of the episodes on iTunes from the start, and I'm liking it so far! At the very least, it's giving me something to do at my incredibly boring job, and I feel like I'm getting to know some people on the forum better.

TheSL
08-20-2010, 02:47 PM
I can't remember which one of you guys was the Get Up Kids superfan, but they've got a song up on Rock Band Network now.

Matchstick
08-20-2010, 06:28 PM
I can't remember which one of you guys was the Get Up Kids superfan, but they've got a song up on Rock Band Network now.

That was Shake_Well, but he has Rock Band on the wrong system, so he's screwed (again).

ShakeWell
08-20-2010, 08:48 PM
That was Shake_Well, but he has Rock Band on the wrong system, so he's screwed (again).

al;sdjfopaweiurjhwoijwle

Which song?!

Also, me and ESA recorded a new Action Cast! with Calories and Alixsar last night, so look forward to that.

TheSL
08-20-2010, 09:24 PM
al;sdjfopaweiurjhwoijwle

Which song?!

I guess I didn't pay too much attention, its some of their new stuff:

Your Petty Pretty Things - The Get Up Kids

Calorie Mate
08-21-2010, 11:54 AM
al;sdjfopaweiurjhwoijwle

Which song?!

Also, me and ESA recorded a new Action Cast! with Calories and Alixsar last night, so look forward to that.

It's ok, we'll get it eventually. Probably. The few songs I've cared about so far (like Perry Gripp's stuff) made it over, so never give up.

(And I will totally buy it, too.)

Traumadore
08-21-2010, 12:13 PM
I started at the first one, the one you guys did at PAX East. It's good! It REALLY makes me want to do a regular podcast about gaming, but I don't know enough good friends in my area who are gamers and would want to do a podcast.

Yeah, I don't know enough dick jokes for one thing.

Stephen
08-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Listen to our new episode (http://onthestick.libsyn.com/on_the_stick_05_it_s_better_with_friends) and you're bound to learn a few new phallic references.

The quality on this one is really weird. We tried a different recording method and the result was kinda disappointing. At one point we threaten to spoil Alan Wake, but we don't really get into it. If you're sensitive about that kind of thing, just jump ahead to the 29 minute mark.

Morbid Coffee
08-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Coffee time is like reverse Valve time.

reibeatall
08-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Guys, there's a new podcast up.

Calorie Mate
08-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Man, I wish I could have argued with y'all about TF2. (Mostly the notion of paying to unlock everything. The rest was pretty ok.)

Also I'm totally going to leave you a voicemail if I don't forget.

Alixsar
08-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Man, I wish I could have argued with y'all about TF2. (Mostly the notion of paying to unlock everything. The rest was pretty ok.)

They talked about TF2 without us? Blasphemy!

widdershins
08-28-2010, 11:10 AM
I've finally caught myself back up.

Notes:

-Pumaman is NOT on instant queue. Way to get my hopes up guys! I would like to see thepyumayman fly clumsily with his rear end in the air! And Aztec fighting! And the flavor of bacon in a dip!

-Stan tells Robert Smith that Disintegration is the best album ever, not Cartman. I don't know why I remember that.

-Lorelei is 9, and keep your goddamn stakes away from her!

- My favorite thing about that Indiana Jones game is that when you die you get a digitized Sean Connery saying "I've lost him", if memory serves.

- Speaking of Connery, if I had known you guys were gonna try to talk about The Rock, I totally would have tried to join ya, and you wouldn't have been so lonely. Lord knows Luana gets tired enough of my trying to do my "losers always whine about their best" impression -- you guys would've been the perfect foil!

ShakeWell
08-28-2010, 11:36 PM
-Stan tells Robert Smith that Disintegration is the best album ever, not Cartman. I don't know why I remember that.

We're both wrong. It's Kyle (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103727).

widdershins
08-29-2010, 07:20 AM
We're both wrong. It's Kyle (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103727).

Well I'll be -- that's some egg on my face. Curses! I knew it was one of the shrill ones!

Adrenaline
08-29-2010, 09:50 AM
I had a dream where an actual kid took over voicing Cartman after Trey Parker left the show

My dreams are always awful

Stephen
08-30-2010, 11:58 PM
New episode (http://onthestick.libsyn.com/on_the_stick_06_for_mademoiselles_that_haven_t_had _enough), now on iTunes and everything. TT's own Squid Brand joins for this one. Dude's got mad podcast skills.

Adrenaline
08-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Matchstick, you did say hot fudge.

Matchstick
09-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Matchstick, you did say hot fudge.

Nope.

TheSL
09-02-2010, 05:37 AM
This (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pilgrims-punch-out/id380736800?mt=8) is the closest you guys will get to an awful, digitized Scott Pilgrim game. Emphasis really on the "awful" part.

Calorie Mate
09-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Oh, so we have an actual full episode of Action Cast again. (http://www.onthestick.com/media/action_cast_2.mp3) I'm supposed to be promoting this and I kind of forgot, but, uh...yeah. It's about The Expendables (mostly), and it's good stuff.

For all two of you that care, we've decided we're going to make this it's own thing (probably every other week or so), so we're in the process of getting its own feed / iTunes set up. You can direct download it at the link above, or wait until next week and I'll post a way to subscribe to it.

ShakeWell
09-08-2010, 10:20 PM
We do podcasts, but we also have other content now. Check out the site for more stuff that isn't just us talking about videogames and dicks! Tonight, I posted the first in a continuing series about beat-'em-ups! And we have something awesome planned for October. Well, multiple awesome things, both podcast related and article related. Stay tuned!

http://onthestick.com

reibeatall
09-08-2010, 10:21 PM
For all two of you that care, we've decided we're going to make this it's own thing (probably every other week or so), so we're in the process of getting its own feed / iTunes set up. You can direct download it at the link above, or wait until next week and I'll post a way to subscribe to it.

except when the recording fucks up! Then there's gonna be a bit of a delay.

TheSL
09-09-2010, 05:36 AM
Does the Action Cast have an actual feed yet? Do you guys have a link perhaps?

reibeatall
09-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Right here (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/), but yeah, we've only got two up.

Calorie Mate
09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
I just listened to the last On the Stick. You guys should have gone out on a downer and mentioned that Jeff Pezzati has Michael J. Fox disease now. :( (But, uh, good music choice, Ethan. Naked Raygun is rad.)

Stephen
09-09-2010, 06:22 PM
In the newest episode (http://www.onthestick.com/29/on-the-stick-07-it-was-a-podcast-lobster) we learn that wolverines are stealthy and that pandas don't like scrotum tugging.

breakman
09-09-2010, 09:22 PM
There is not a download link on that page.

Matchstick
09-09-2010, 09:31 PM
There is not a download link on that page.

Now there is. Folks can also subscribe via iTunes.

Calorie Mate
09-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Oh shit the Action Cast is on iTunes now! (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/action-cast/id391256469)

widdershins
09-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Just finished listening to the most recent ep. My personal favorite thing about Rock Band 3 is that the keyboards lend themselves beautifully to finally having Doors tracks in the rhythm genre. I'm pumped as fuck about Break on Through and hope there's more to come via DLC.

Also, let us know when you have that scrotum missile LBP thing online somewhere -- I feel like I need to see this.

MCBanjoMike
09-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Also, let us know when you have that scrotum missile LBP thing online somewhere -- I feel like I need to see this.

That's actually linked in the show notes (http://www.onthestick.com/29/on-the-stick-07-it-was-a-podcast-lobster) under the slightly confusing name of "Pandajet Rave".

Falselogic
09-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the copy of Zombies ate my Neighbors! On the Stick!

Calorie Mate
09-14-2010, 10:05 AM
I feel better about not being completely sold on the RB3 tracklist, seeing as how you guys spent 90% of your discussion bitching about it, too. :)

mablem8
09-14-2010, 05:06 PM
LISTEN TO ON THE STICK

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/4991656440_0b74bca2da_z.jpg

WIN A PRIZE!

Falselogic
09-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Now I'm jealous of the game you got Mablem!

ShakeWell
09-15-2010, 10:39 PM
X-Men

Hey, my shitty handwriting is in that picture!

TheSL
09-16-2010, 05:59 AM
Man, I'll never beat that damn game. Or its sequel, for that matter.

MCBanjoMike
09-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Isn't that the one where you have to reset the game once you've finished it a first time to play the second loop?

widdershins
09-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Isn't that the one where you have to reset the game once you've finished it a first time to play the second loop?

If I recall, it's not even when you finish it. There's some area where you have to reset to get to the next stage. It's supposed to be some kind of meta reference (perhaps Arcade's involved? I'm too lazy to look it up) or something.

Calorie Mate
09-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Hey, my shitty handwriting is in that picture!

Alright, you remind me of my best friend for a number of reasons, but you have the same goddamn handwriting, too.

C'mon, Dominic, stop pretending. I know it's you.

MCBanjoMike
09-17-2010, 10:23 AM
> look

You are in a dark room with stone walls, crumbling after decades of neglect. A faint light draws your attention to an ancient computer terminal, flickering quietly in a corner of the room. On the screen, you see a new episode of the On the Stick podcast up for download. Do you wish to listen to it? (Y/N)

> N

You find yourself strangely compelled, you can't tear your gaze away from the download link. Do you want to listen to the podcast? (Y/N)

> N

You can't go north from here. Do you want to listen to the podcast? (Y/N)

> Listen to On the Stick (http://www.onthestick.com/30/on-the-stick-08-a-realistic-kirby-game)

I don't understand "Listen to On the Stick". Do you want to listen to the podcast? (Y/N)

ShakeWell
09-18-2010, 09:04 PM
I love you, Mike.

Stephen
09-25-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm not even going to try and match Mike's podcast introduction. Episode 9 can be found here, (http://www.onthestick.com/) if you feel so inclined. Calorie Mate joined us for this one, so if it stinks...

Calorie Mate
09-26-2010, 04:30 PM
...then it was everyone else and not me.

ShakeWell
10-03-2010, 12:39 AM
There's a new one of these. Get it here (http://www.onthestick.com/40/on-the-stick-10-man-cannon-online) or on iTunes.

Also, don't forget our 31 Days of Twilight Zone (http://www.onthestick.com/37/october-on-the-stick-thirty-days-of-the-twilight-zone) going on at the site, and the related contest (http://www.onthestick.com/41/a-contest-from-another-dimension).

Mr. Sensible
10-03-2010, 02:39 AM
You guys are really getting that good podcast-chemistry going now. Amusing banter that doesn't digress overmuch, peppered with news you can use about games and music and stuff.

I'm really enjoying the show. Excellent work, y'all!

I almost fell out of my chair when someone (ESA?) starting talking about testicular elephantiasis out of the blue.

Adrenaline
10-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I think the first game I really remember iron sights in is the first Call of Duty.

Adrenaline
10-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Yeah I just decided to pop in Frontline again out of nostalgia with the new game coming out. No iron sights, just the traditional Goldeneye button that sticks you in one spot and brings up some crosshairs with a slight zoom.

Stephen
10-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Yeah I just decided to pop in Frontline again out of nostalgia with the new game coming out. No iron sights, just the traditional Goldeneye button that sticks you in one spot and brings up some crosshairs with a slight zoom.

I wish I still had some of my Medal of Honor games so I could have checked before we recorded. Call of Duty definitely had them and Battlefield 2 is the game that hammered the concept home. I think Quake 3: Arena let you zoom-in, aim and move too, though there wasn't a sight to look through.

New episode (http://www.onthestick.com/57/on-the-stick-11-sick-ass-space-jeeps-on-the-moon) is all Mass Effect all the time. There are tons of spoilers, so don't listen if you haven't played the game and don't want the surprises ruined. There was supposed to be time for other topics, but it turns out we had a lot to say about the series. Even with a 105 minutes of recording, we missed lots of stuff (the upgrade in level design from 1 to 2, Elcor Hamlet, spotting which ME races were ripped off from which sci-fi TV series, etc.)

Falselogic
10-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Listening to episode 10... wondering how far I need to fast forward to get past the Halo talk. The series has never been interesting to me. Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 were better, so much better. Especially when it came to on-line play...

ShakeWell
10-17-2010, 07:41 PM
You have two weeks from today to get your entries in to our contest (http://www.onthestick.com/41/a-contest-from-another-dimension). Get to being creative!

Matchstick
10-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Part 1 (http://www.onthestick.com/59/on-the-stick-12-nes-game-draft-part-1) of our NES Game draft is now live.

Falselogic
10-18-2010, 04:09 PM
I have to listen to it? Where are the accompanying charts and graphs that seem so popular during other draft events?

Stephen
10-18-2010, 04:29 PM
If it makes you feel better, I Mel Kipered my hair just before we recorded it.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5637/kiper.png

Balrog
10-18-2010, 07:25 PM
I kept cracking up at work due to MCBanjo's shenanigans in episode 11. Was he high or something?

reibeatall
10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
You have two weeks from today to get your entries in to our contest (http://www.onthestick.com/41/a-contest-from-another-dimension). Get to being creative!

It's a shame I can't enter!

Stephen
10-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I kept cracking up at work due to MCBanjo's shenanigans in episode 11. Was he high or something?

High on love for Mass Effect.

widdershins
10-19-2010, 09:23 PM
You guys are such teases! When can we expect part 2?

Red Hedgehog
10-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Yeah, a draft was a great idea for a podcast. Though it's a bit unclear to me whether the criteria for picking was "desert island games" or "our favorite games" (At least it came through that you meant "game we would play today" rather than just "most important NES games").

Stephen
10-19-2010, 11:39 PM
We kinda buried ourselves in metaphors at the beginning of the show, but the question I really wanted to answer was this: If you were only allowed to play 5 NES games, which would they be? The reasoning behind each person's pick was their own. Some picks were made with replayability in mind, others nostalgia, whatever. Everyone values different things and I hoped this format would let that come through.

Part 2 will be up sometime today.

Balrog
10-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Yeah, the first NES show is really good. I like that you added a gimmick to what would have been Just Another Podcast Episode About NES Games. It's good I wasn't on because I would have totally picked River City Ransom as my first pick.

MCBanjoMike
10-20-2010, 08:01 AM
It's good I wasn't on because I would have totally picked River City Ransom as my first pick.

Jerk. :mad: Nobody takes my River City Ransom away from me!

Alixsar
10-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Listening now. If someone doesn't take Ducktales in the first round, then I call shenanigans.

McClain
10-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Just listened to the first half of the NES Draft. Wow, what a fucking brilliant idea. I've heard/seen/read every top-10/25/100 list you can think of for video games, but this is way more interesting.

I can't wait for the Master System Draft.

Red Hedgehog
10-20-2010, 10:57 AM
We kinda buried ourselves in metaphors at the beginning of the show, but the question I really wanted to answer was this: If you were only allowed to play 5 NES games, which would they be? The reasoning behind each person's pick was their own. Some picks were made with replayability in mind, others nostalgia, whatever. Everyone values different things and I hoped this format would let that come through.

Part 2 will be up sometime today.

Well, in more than just the beginning you guys kept alluding to "desert island" which didn't really make sense with the reasoning most were giving behind their picks.

MCBanjoMike
10-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Well, in more than just the beginning you guys kept alluding to "desert island" which didn't really make sense with the reasoning most were giving behind their picks.

What can I say, I'd rather have my favorite games with me than a bunch that are infinitely replayable. And by the way, Part 2 is up now (http://www.onthestick.com/62/on-the-stick-12-2-nes-game-draft-part-2)! Listen to it so you can complain that we didn't include your favorite game.

Alixsar
10-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Listening now. If someone doesn't take Ducktales in the first round, then I call shenanigans.

Shenanigans!

Seriously, I don't understand your guy's tastes in NES games at all. I mean, sure, SMB3 okay. But the rest of the 1st and 2nd round picks just make no sense to me. You guys are weird.

At least ESA busted out the Zelda one-two punch, Kurt busted out Blades of Steel, and Mike got SMB2 (Toad fo' life) at the last second.

But still, no Ducktales? Adventure Island? Star Tropics? Duck Hunt? Tecmo Super Bowl? Dr. Mario? Baseball Stars? Double Dragon? Battletoads? Skull and Crossbones? TMNT 1, 2 and 3?

I mean, no Ducktales? What is wrong with you? Heathens, all of you!

Incidentally, this was great and there should be more.

For reference:

1st Pick - Kurt - Super Mario Bros. 3
2nd Pick - Joe - Mega Man 2
3rd Pick - Mike - Bionic Commando
4th Pick - ESA - Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse
5th Pick - ESA - Contra
6th Pick - Mike - River City Ransom
7th Pick - Joe - Life Force
8th Pick - Kurt - Metroid
9th Pick - Kurt - Pro Wrestling
10th Pick - Joe - Mike Tyson's Punchout
11th Pick - Mike - Mega Man 3
12th Pick - ESA - The Legend of Zelda
13th Pick - ESA - Zelda 2
14th Pick - Mike - Crystalis
15th Pick - Joe - Ninja Gaiden
16th Pick - Kurt - Blades of Steel
17th Pick - Kurt - Tengen Tetris
18th Pick - Joe - Super Dodgeball
19th Pick - Mike - Super Mario Bros. 2
20th Pick - ESA - Lolo 3
21st Pick Sort Of - Super Mario Bros.
22nd - ESA- Little Nemo
23rd - Mike - Final Fantasy
24th - Joe - Balloon Fight
25th - Kurt - Strider

MCBanjoMike
10-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Shenanigans!

Seriously, I don't understand your guy's tastes in NES games at all. I mean, sure, SMB3 okay. But the rest of the 1st and 2nd round picks just make no sense to me. You guys are weird.

At least ESA busted out the Zelda one-two punch, Kurt busted out Blades of Steel, and Mike got SMB2 (Toad fo' life) at the last second.

But still, no Ducktales? Adventure Island? Star Tropics? Duck Hunt? Tecmo Super Bowl? Dr. Mario? Baseball Stars? Double Dragon? Battletoads? Skull and Crossbones? TMNT 1, 2 and 3?

Incidentally, this was great and there should be more.

Adventure Island? Duck Hunt? Skull and what now? Seriously, those are not A-list contenders. Even Ducktales, which is really good, only really deserves to oust one or two of the choices on our list. You've gotta admit that most of the choices in our draft are rock-solid, and they're all a damn sight better than the first TMNT game.

Plus, why would you ask for Double Dragon when you could have the superior Double Dragon II?

Also, I would like to request that you spoiler-text the list of games, since I think it's fun for people to not know what we're going to pick ahead of time. And the folks what don't care can just highlight the list to see them all ahead of time!

Alixsar
10-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Adventure Island? Duck Hunt? Skull and what now? Seriously, those are not A-list contenders. Even Ducktales, which is really good, only really deserves to oust one or two of the choices on our list. You've gotta admit that most of the choices in our draft are rock-solid, and they're all a damn sight better than the first TMNT game.

Plus, why would you ask for Double Dragon when you could have the superior Double Dragon II?

Also, I would like to request that you spoiler-text the list of games, since I think it's fun for people to not know what we're going to pick ahead of time. And the folks what don't care can just highlight the list to see them all ahead of time!

In fairness, I did go boot up a ROM of Skull and Crossbones, and while it does have pirates fighting ninjas AND wizards, and it ends in a "Party...dance...party!", it is kind of shitty. But I remember it fondly. Ah, Tengen. You silly bastards.

But seriously, I just don't get a lot of those entries. There's no Blaster Master! Or Final Fantasy III! Or GI Joe!

Instead, mother fucking Contra of all things goes in the first round. Before Zelda or SMB1 or 2? An absolute disgrace, by any measure.

MCBanjoMike
10-20-2010, 02:23 PM
But seriously, I just don't get a lot of those entries. There's no Blaster Master! Or Final Fantasy III! Or GI Joe!

Instead, mother fucking Contra of all things goes in the first round. Before Zelda or SMB1 or 2? An absolute disgrace, by any measure.

Blaster Master is only fun in theory, and Final Fantasy III never came out on the NES. I'll leave the others to defend Contra, since I mostly only played Super C as a kid.

Balrog
10-20-2010, 06:34 PM
What, no Dragon Warrior III?

Matchstick
10-20-2010, 09:07 PM

My reasoning for not picking it? I've never played it. I commented at the beginning (and at least once during the proceedings) that I don't have extensive NES experience, so I can only go with the choices from the pool of games I've actually played.

Stephen
10-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Don't worry Match, even if you had played Duck Tales you wouldn't have picked it. Cane bouncing is awesome, but the rest of the game is pretty mediocre. Don't believe the hype.

And all the turn-based NES RPG's can take a flying leap as far as I'm concerned. They fall under the category of "Important, But Not Fun".

Red Hedgehog
10-21-2010, 12:03 AM
What can I say, I'd rather have my favorite games with me than a bunch that are infinitely replayable.

And that's fine. I actually prefer that you guys chose your favorite games over best for desert island ones (I mean, I'd take Nobunaga's Ambition or Genghis Khan with me to a desert island, but neither makes my top 25 NES game list). It was just unclear at first what the criteria was and only by about midway through did I get it. And even then you guys kept referring to the stupid desert island!

EDIT:

And except for Kurt's, I thought all the choices were good. Sorry, Pro Wrestling and Metroid were good for their time, but I can't stand to play them anymore.

Balrog
10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm listening to part 2 now. Shakewell is off his fuckin' rocker.

mugenkokoro
10-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Just finished part one, just wanted to say this is one of the best podcast ideas I've ever heard. This is awesomely entertaining to listen to, and you guys are great.

I don't want you to beat this format to death, but I DEFINITELY want to see drafts like this for other consoles...SNES and PS2 at least, someday.

Man I love fantasy drafts, sports, games, or otherwise.

Stephen
10-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I could listen to a draft of just about anything. Snack foods, colors, whatever. I'm wary of beating the idea into the ground too, but I have an idea for a draft with actual, measurable results and Joe pointed out that the SNES turns 20 next summer. So, there'll probably be another one at some point.

You've listened to the show before, right?

Alixsar
10-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I could listen to a draft of just about anything. Snack foods, colors, whatever. I'm wary of beating the idea into the ground too, but I have an idea for a draft with actual, measurable results and Joe pointed out that the SNES turns 20 next summer. So, there'll probably be another one at some point.

OH SHIT

Yeah it's a running theme.

Matchstick
10-21-2010, 08:15 PM
...I have an idea for a draft with actual, measurable results and Joe pointed out that the SNES turns 20 next summer. So, there'll probably be another one at some point.

Uh oh...

mablem8
10-22-2010, 05:27 AM
Playing a sound clip after each pick is a classy touch. It's like listening to the Oscars.

MCBanjoMike
10-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Uh oh...

Looks like you've got some work to do!

ShakeWell
10-23-2010, 11:24 PM

Yeah it's a running theme.

Can I let you guys all in on a secret?

IT IS YOU WHO ARE MAD!

And I must say, I'm curious which thing I specifically said that made Adam think I'm particularly off my rocker. The other members of the cast seemed to think my list was the finest, if they couldn't have their own.

Balrog
10-24-2010, 12:35 AM
You trash-talked SMB2 and Zelda II, then went and picked Balloon Fight. That is CRAZY TALK.

ajr82
10-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Balloon Fight is the shit, though.

Alixsar
10-24-2010, 07:29 PM
You trash-talked SMB2 and Zelda II, then went and picked Balloon Fight. That is CRAZY TALK.

Also you have shitty taste in music.

ShakeWell
10-24-2010, 09:27 PM

Balloon Fight is fantastic. FANTASTIC, I tell you!

Also, SMB2 is good, it's just not as good as SMB1 or SMB3. Like, way not as good.

Zelda II? Well... it's... I've actually been meaning to revisit it, I just hate that if you die you have to go ALL THE FUCKIN' WAY BACK. Ugh.

Also you have shitty taste in music.

Perhaps, but I take solace in the fact that it's less shitty than yours.

ShakeWell
10-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey, a new Eric Stephen Allen-less episode is loosed on the world! Coffee joins us to talk NYCC! http://www.onthestick.com/71/on-the-stick-13-podcast-of-the-living-dead

Alixsar
10-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Perhaps, but I take solace in the fact that it's less shitty than yours.

I don't know man, you like some truly terrible stuff. Granted, most of the stuff I like has a "it's not for everyone" vibe, but some of the shit you like is straight up boring. We'll have to fight about it on air (or possibly physically, which I will win because I am mega strong) sometime.

Balrog
10-26-2010, 02:13 PM
On the Stick Drinking Game:

Drink every time Joe uses his tattoos as evidence in an argument

Drink every time Joe mentions he's from Milwaukee

Drink every time Stephen shits the bed on a topic segue

Drink every time Stephen mispronounces something (intentional or not)

Drink every time Kurt says something with his velvety baritone and you feel awkward and confused afterwards

Alixsar
10-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Drink every time Joe uses his tattoos as evidence in an argument

I don't have that much liquor!

Karzac
10-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Just started listening to this, and it's pretty good. Well done guys.

Stephen
10-28-2010, 08:47 AM
There's a Halloween special (http://www.onthestick.com/74/on-the-stick-14-halloween-spooktacular) up starring Bryce Wilson, AKA Evil Dead Junkie. Goddamn, Mike's intro made it hard to edit this thing.

Matchstick
10-28-2010, 05:16 PM
There's a Halloween special (http://www.onthestick.com/74/on-the-stick-14-halloween-spooktacular) up starring Bryce Wilson, AKA Evil Dead Junkie. Goddamn, Mike's intro made it hard to edit this thing.

Everybody needs to listen to at least the intro.

Stephen
10-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Next Halloween, I say we present the show in 3D. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnQZlq9Q2M4)

EDIT: Drink every time Stephen shits the bed on a topic segue

Drink every time Stephen mispronounces something (intentional or not)

Careful, you want people to get drunk, not die from alcohol poisoning.

ShakeWell
10-28-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't know man, you like some truly terrible stuff.

You argued in favor of Journey in the Rock Band thread. I rest my case.

Adrenaline
10-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Everybody needs to listen to at least the intro.

Holy crap.

Evil Dead Junkie
10-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Holy crap.

That opening is righteous.

And for the record, no I don't think I could have possibly said "Um you know." Anymore times.

But thanks for having me on guys. Alot of fun. The Bobcat Goldwaithe clip you chose nearly caused me to snort my coffee while I was reading this.

McClain
10-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Listening at work, and I came fucking close to spitting tea all over my computer when whoever shouted "YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY WHORE MOUTH!" fantastic.

I think you guys should do a spoiler-tagged, balls out segment on The Dark Tower. Mostly because I'm curious how other huge nerds interpreted parts of it.

Stephen
10-31-2010, 09:43 AM
I think you guys should do a spoiler-tagged, balls out segment on The Dark Tower. Mostly because I'm curious how other huge nerds interpreted parts of it.

Cool idea and a good excuse to have Bryce back on. I'd have to re-read some of older books though, because it's been like 15 years since I read the first four parts.

And for the record, no I don't think I could have possibly said "Um you know." Anymore times.

I think everyone goes through that the first time they hear themselves. Fits in nicely with all my sentence fragments and awkward "So..."s, Mike's tongue clicking, Kurt's long pause--um's and Joe's mic bumping/snorting.

Maybe some day I'll edit out all the content and just leave the vocal tics. Could be an interesting sound experiment.

Alixsar
10-31-2010, 08:29 PM
I say "like" a lot. It's always cringe inducing when I hear myself talk.

Calorie Mate
10-31-2010, 10:54 PM
I say "like" a lot. It's always cringe inducing when I hear myself talk.

TheSL
11-01-2010, 06:23 AM
It's cause you guys are secretly valley girls, right?

Balrog
11-01-2010, 07:17 AM
They totally are...TO THE MAX.

MCBanjoMike
11-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Like, whatever. :mad:

Alixsar
11-01-2010, 10:47 AM
It's cause you guys are secretly valley girls, right?

No. But that's part of the reason why I hate it so much. I know that people do it everywhere, but I feel like I'm reinforcing a stereotype.

Also, best Count Floyd impersonation ever.

Calorie Mate
11-01-2010, 10:59 AM
I think I should start saying "hella" more often. How much more often? Hella more often.

Evil Dead Junkie
11-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Cool idea and a good excuse to have Bryce back on. I'd have to re-read some of older books though, because it's been like 15 years since I read the first four parts.

For the record I would be totally, totally down for this.

McClain
11-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Bonus points if you guys are up on the comics.

Matchstick
11-18-2010, 10:37 PM
A new episode has arrived (http://www.onthestick.com/82/on-the-stick-16-podcasting-robots).

Calorie Mate
11-19-2010, 09:06 AM
So the last two days at work were really tedious, so I needed some podcasts to fill in the gap, and since I was really behind on this, I ended up listening to like six hours straight of On the Stick.

I really have to say - personal bias aside - I really like this 'cast because unlike a lot of podcasts, there's always someone that voices my opinion. You know how you listen to someone saying something on a podcast, and you're just dying to contradict them/add something but can't? Not so much the case here, which is awesome. (And though not 100% rule, the general rule is: if I disagree with Joe, then Mike says what I'm thinking, or vice versa - except for talking about music, where I either agree with Joe, or Kurt). Good stuff.

I'm also sad I wasn't on with Bryce, because talking in circles about what makes a game "scary" and the inherent challenges the medium has with that is one of my favorite things to do. Ah well, maybe next time.

Adrenaline
11-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Spot on Serling impression, Shake.

McClain
11-20-2010, 09:15 AM
I want to play that Twilight Zone game (even though I know most of the twists now)

Stephen
11-30-2010, 06:23 PM
So the last two days at work were really tedious, so I needed some podcasts to fill in the gap, and since I was really behind on this, I ended up listening to like six hours straight of On the Stick.

I somehow missed this, but six hours? Dude, were you on the spism at work?

And hey, speaking of spism there's a new episode up. (http://www.onthestick.com/84/on-the-stick-17-double-podcast-what-does-it-mean) C-Mate and Morbid Coffee talk about indie games in the first half and then ReiBeatOff picks the worst possible album of the week and says some stuff about Kinect in the second half.

Oh and teaser: On the next episode, Ray Barnholt makes a guest appearance. How did we manage that? No clue, but it was a lot of fun.

MCBanjoMike
12-01-2010, 07:07 PM
I just listened to the new episode and I can't believe you guys talked about Cave Story when I wasn't on the show. It's a travesty!

Much like the music that rei chose to end the show with, for that matter.

Balrog
12-01-2010, 08:56 PM
rei's taste in music is worse than Shakewell's and that's saying something.

MCBanjoMike
12-02-2010, 06:43 AM
rei's taste in music is worse than Shakewell's and that's saying something.

But is his taste in music worse than his taste in games? The world may never know, because no scientific instrument has been designed that can withstand the concentrated shittiness.

reibeatall
12-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I love you guys. I'm gonna go listen to the new My Chemical Romance album while playing Viking some more.

AJR
12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
I would much rather hear My Chemical Romance than Go Periscope. I kept thinking to myself that they wouldn't sound that bad. Then their song started playing.

Still, it was a fun episode.

Lucas
12-02-2010, 04:08 PM
I love you guys. I'm gonna go listen to the new My Chemical Romance album while playing Viking some more.

And people say you have bad taste in games. Liars!

reibeatall
12-02-2010, 04:10 PM
And people say you have bad taste in games. Liars!

People say I have bad taste in everything possible.

It's a real downer.

Calorie Mate
12-02-2010, 04:16 PM
You, uh, don't have bad taste in podcasts about action movies!

Alixsar
12-02-2010, 05:10 PM
You, uh, don't have bad taste in podcasts about action movies!

No, but he does have bad taste while on podcasts about action movies.

Knight
12-02-2010, 05:11 PM
People say I have bad taste in everything possible.

It's a real downer.
Hey, at least you like Psych, which is the secret best show on TV right now.

Balrog
12-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Man, Shakewell's old lady sounds wicked smart...what's she doing with him?

Anyway, the first third of this episode was pretty sweet, I haven't heard anyone talk about the bill that wasn't a) entrenched in the video game industry or b) totally uninformed and crazy. So it was genuinely insightful hearing from someone who knew what they were talking about.

McClain
12-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Anyway, the first third of this episode was pretty sweet, I haven't heard anyone talk about the bill that wasn't a) entrenched in the video game industry or b) totally uninformed and crazy. So it was genuinely insightful hearing from someone who knew what they were talking about.

Seconded! I would love to have a regular legal section to the show when stuff like this comes up in the news.

MCBanjoMike
12-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Yeah, that first segment was surprisingly interesting, despite it being a discussion of the American legal system. Way to have good taste in ladies, Shake.

reibeatall
12-12-2010, 10:16 AM
GUYS YOU ARE STUPID PAC MAN 2 WAS AWESOME

fanboymaster
12-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Oh hey, that was a great episode. Nice job you guys.

AJR
12-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Great episode. Feel free to put more legal talk on there, and definitely feel free to put Ray Barnholt on again.

Matchstick
12-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Great episode. Feel free to put more legal talk on there, and definitely feel free to put Ray Barnholt on again.

I suspect both will happen. Thanks for the comments, everybody.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm also sad I wasn't on with Bryce, because talking in circles about what makes a game "scary" and the inherent challenges the medium has with that is one of my favorite things to do. Ah well, maybe next time.

This is late. But I'll be your wingman anytime!

ShakeWell
12-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Man, Shakewell's old lady sounds wicked smart...what's she doing with him?

Man, I don't know, but do me a favor... don't call attention to it.

Calorie Mate
12-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Just caught up myself today. A couple of things:

1. Andy says "camera" oddly. Like, everyone else says "cam-ra" and he says "cam-er-uh". It's weird.

2. Meggan was awesome. All of you guys really need to, like, shoot Kotaku a link or something to that episode, because yeah, I haven't heard a smart conversation like that from any other outlet.

3. I'm surprised no one has given kudos to Matchstick for his part in it, but I will. Meggan was cool, true, but that segment would have really stumbled if you hadn't kept the ball rolling like you did. Well done, man.

4. Mr. Barnholt was awesome as always and you guys should make him come back for sure.

This is late. But I'll be your wingman anytime!

Hell yes.

ShakeWell
12-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Oh, hey... it's a brand new episode (http://www.onthestick.com/88/on-the-stick-19-trogglus-normalus)!

liquid
12-17-2010, 11:47 PM
I think you forgot the episode link?

EDIT: Where did you get the sprites you're using for the site background?

ShakeWell
12-18-2010, 03:01 PM
I think you forgot the episode link?

EDIT: Where did you get the sprites you're using for the site background?

Uh, yeah, I emailed Eric Stephen, he's the web design guru, so he'll fix that. The episode is on iTunes for sure, though.

Eric Stephen gets the backgrounds as well, I think they're just screencaps from emulators, but he'd be better suited to tell you.

widdershins
12-19-2010, 03:44 PM
"Why, to this day I still know that 8 + 6 = 14".

Mission accomplished. I cracked up.

Balrog
12-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Did Shakewell say Bump 'n' Jump was a Taxan game in the last episode? He's super wrong if he did.

Knight
12-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Alright, I skipped the New Vegas episode before because I hadn't played it yet, but since I just got it over the weekend I decided to listen to it now! The same thing happened to me with Tomas, as it did to Alixsar. He was like "Man, that chick tried to rob me, she was after my sarsaparilla bottlecap necklace" and I was like "That sucks, bro. see ya". So he turns to leave, and wonders aloud if his day could get any worse, and I'm like, "It just fucking did." as I draw my gun and line up a headshot. I also steal anything worthwhile, even on my good playthroughs.

Also, in Resident Evil 2, that giant moth was the scariest thing for me. Because I had already played through the A and B scenarios for both characters, and that giant moth on the wall of that computer room at the end always just chilled on that wall. It wasn't until my third or fourth playthrough that it finally dropped off the wall and attacked, and it scared the shit out of me.

ShakeWell
12-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Did Shakewell say Bump 'n' Jump was a Taxan game in the last episode? He's super wrong if he did.

No, Mike asked if it was a Capcom game, and I said it was in fact a Data East game, which it is, because I'm super RIGHT.

Stephen
12-21-2010, 06:56 PM
I also steal anything worthwhile, even on my good playthroughs.

In the wasteland, good guys steal everything. Bad guys just shoot everyone in the face before hand.

Here's something we did (http://www.onthestick.com/90/on-the-stick-20-the-walking-dead) about The Walking Dead. Bryce Wilson AKA EvilDeadJunkie joined us and nailed the theme and tone of the whole show/comic about 3 minutes in. The 47 minutes that follow are pretty good too. There are spoilers for both the TV show and the comic books, so if you don't like that sorta thing, skip this.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Pleasure being on as always gentlemen.

And man Joe definitely won the Land Of The Dead argument.

ShakeWell
12-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Pleasure being on as always gentlemen.

And man Joe definitely won the Land Of The Dead argument.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I was there and yes I did. Seriously, that last line just ruins the whole fucking thing for me.

ShakeWell
01-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Hey, we posted another one of these (http://www.onthestick.com/91/on-the-stick-21-wrestling-with-vampire-assassins) earlier this week. Bryce drops in again, and we talk about the Pixies.

R.R. Bigman
01-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Now I know where the title of the Rocko's Modern Life episode "Ed is Dead" comes from.

ShakeWell
01-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Hey, check it out, a new one of these (http://www.onthestick.com/93/on-the-stick-22-wind-for-joe)... and Adam (a.k.a. Balrog) joins us! To talk about his game!

Balrog
01-06-2011, 11:36 AM
My favorite part of the podcast is where I don't answer the question or someone else answers it more precisely than I do.

Matchstick
01-06-2011, 08:28 PM
My favorite part of the podcast is where I don't answer the question or someone else answers it more precisely than I do.

You mean the whole thing, then?

widdershins
01-10-2011, 11:17 PM
All caught up!

Joe, I know I say this every time, but you talk about them wrestling games as much as you damn well please. I'm looking forward to your report on that bit of imported AKI goodness!

MCBanjoMike
01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Joe, I know I say this every time, but you talk about them wrestling games as much as you damn well please. I'm looking forward to your report on that bit of imported AKI goodness!

Please don't encourage him.

Alixsar
01-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Please don't encourage him.

Seriously. Please don't. There's already been an obscene number of obscure wrestling references.

widdershins
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM
What can I say? I know what I like.

TheSL
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
What can I say? I know what I like.

You and Joe just need to make your own wrestling podcast or something.

fanboymaster
01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
You and Joe just need to make your own wrestling podcast or something.

Actually... I'd probably listen to that.

Calorie Mate
01-11-2011, 11:24 AM
We were definitely planning on doing one eventually. I think we were going to Action Cast with everyone picking a different Hulk Hogan movie and just let Joe run wild on you, brother.

widdershins
01-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Dude, if you guys ever do that, count me the fuck in.

...dibs on Suburban Commando...

...I was FROZEN today...

Calorie Mate
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
I totally already called dibs on that one, though!

TheSL
01-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Well, if you guys have dibs on that I call Mr. Nanny.

widdershins
01-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Hrm, I imagine you guys already have No Holds Barred spoken for as well. Is... is Rocky III too easy? (really trying to avoid 3 Ninjas here...)

fanboymaster
01-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Is nobody going to take Santa With Muscles? It may not be an action movie, but in my heart...

Calorie Mate
01-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Hrm, I imagine you guys already have No Holds Barred spoken for as well. Is... is Rocky III too easy? (really trying to avoid 3 Ninjas here...)

I believe Stephen scooped that one up, sorry.

Keep in mind this was our usual joking around and may or may not happen for a very long time.

widdershins
01-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Oh I'm aware, I'm just goofin' about as well. If such a thing were to happen, and y'all were kind enough to invite me on, I'd watch any ol' thing. :)

Alixsar
01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Keep in mind this was our usual joking around and may or may not happen for a very long time.

We're not?! Then what the hell did I just watch 3 Ninjas High Noon at Mega Mountain for?!

Calorie Mate
01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Don't try to blame me, we all know it's your favorite movie.

ShakeWell
01-12-2011, 10:11 PM
All caught up!

Thank you. At least one listener appreciates it!

Seriously. Please don't. There's already been an obscene number of obscure wrestling references.

To be fair, most of those come during Action Casts.

You should have to do 3 Ninjas (High Noon at Mega Mountain). Me? I got dibs on Thunder in Paradise, the straight to video masterpiece which spawned an equally masterful (read: awful) sydicated series!

Calorie Mate
01-13-2011, 10:23 AM
I had no idea Thunder in Paradise was also a movie.

Balrog
01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
I like how much you made fun of me in the last episode.

/kicks can

Evil Dead Junkie
01-21-2011, 11:21 AM
That's nothing compared to how much we made fun of Rei for not seeing The Thing last night.

Balrog
01-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Well, rei's a retard.

widdershins
01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
What do you know -- first podcast I download with my new fancyshmancy android podcast app, and I get namedropped in it. Woo!

This wrestling segment is brought to you buy The Nick Rycar Foundation of Making Alix Roll His Eyes. We have a long and proud tradition.

Incidentally, I've not been able to watch WWF in ages because the schlock got to be too much for me (probably during the Helmsley/McMaheon era that wouldn't die), so I decided to see what I could find online about those Japanese leagues that get so much praise.

The first thing I found was the NJPW Vader match. Yes, THAT match. That shit was gross.

Nyarlathotep
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
I hate Working in a Coal Mine with every fiber of my being.

reibeatall
01-21-2011, 07:27 PM
That's nothing compared to how much we made fun of Rei for not seeing The Thing last night.

Jesus Christ that was brutal. When Alixsar is the most level-headed person, that's saying a lot.

Matchstick
01-21-2011, 08:04 PM

You're a bad person.

Nyarlathotep
01-22-2011, 10:03 AM
I had the joy of working in a grocery store for two years, and that song was one of the most prevalent on their radio's (predominantly shitty) rotation. At some point it basically became water torture in audio form. Hearing it in the podcast basically put me in a PTSD flashback.

Stephen
01-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Jesus Christ that was brutal. When Alixsar is the most level-headed person, that's saying a lot.

I'm missed that part, but there is a point where "making fun" becomes "piling on". That said, dude, go watch The Thing. Not for us, but for yourself. If it isn't not on netflix, I'll send you my copy when I return Arcania.

I had the joy of working in a grocery store for two years, and that song was one of the most prevalent on their radio's (predominantly shitty) rotation. At some point it basically became water torture in audio form. Hearing it in the podcast basically put me in a PTSD flashback.
If you like, I'll splice in "Coal Miners Daughter" or the Hi-ho song (or something not so excruciatingly on the nose) and send you a version that won't cause you to flip out and start throwing cold cuts at people.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-22-2011, 08:22 PM

I have the same reaction to the Blondie Song were she raps. Christ knows why but that song makes it on to every single retail store compilation in existence.

widdershins
01-23-2011, 08:03 AM
For me it was someone or another's cover of "True Colors", and it drove me fucking batty during my brief tenure at WalMart.

mablem8
01-23-2011, 08:29 AM
I used to work as a student building manager at a university center. A little less than a year before I left, there was a new wing added to the building. In the process of construction, the administration found out that the old building had speakers in the ceiling that could be hooked up to satellite radio. The station they picked must have played "21 Guns" at least every twenty minutes. MIND NUMBING.

I hardly ever go in that building since I stopped working there. But every time I do, I'm greeted by "21 Guns." Usually I have to stifle a laugh, which is probably a sign of a simmering hysteria.

ShakeWell
01-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Does that extend to the awesome Devo cover?

TheSL
01-24-2011, 06:02 AM
For me it was someone or another's cover of "True Colors", and it drove me fucking batty during my brief tenure at WalMart.

Mine is "Boys of Summer", because I was working at a bowling alley that played Top 40 the year that like 2 or 3 bands covered it simultaneously so we got all the versions in rotation.

McClain
01-24-2011, 04:57 PM
The mix that played at a grocery store I worked at had The Last Worthless Evening (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2018776/v2152312), which I just now found out is a Don Henley song, which explains why I hate it so fucking much. I could eventually tune out everything else, but every hour or so his goddamn owl screech of a voice would overpower the chatter and scanners.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Just out of curiosity how's the yearendpolooza going?

ShakeWell
01-25-2011, 10:43 PM
It'll be up in two parts next week!

ShakeWell
01-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Let's talk about some indie games! And some huge budget mainstream games! And sticking corkscrews in dickholes! Check it out here (http://www.onthestick.com/99/on-the-stick-24-more-fun-than-sticking-a-corkscrew-in-your-peehole)!

Mr. Sensible
01-27-2011, 12:40 AM
What happened to episode 23?

Calorie Mate
01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Ugh, The Offspring.

I mean, that's off their least offensive album, but still.

Alixsar
01-27-2011, 07:23 PM
They have a non-terrible album?

Matchstick
01-27-2011, 08:04 PM
What happened to episode 23?

It exists, but somebody hasn't written up a post for it.

mugenkokoro
01-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Woo, I got a shoutout in the last show (which I'm just now listening to).

reibeatall
01-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Ugh, The Offspring.

I mean, that's off their least offensive album, but still.

You're a goddamn idiot.

They have a non-terrible album?

You're also a goddamn idiot.

I'm so glad you threw in something from Smash, and doubly so that it was Bad Habit.

Adrenaline
01-31-2011, 08:07 AM
Good Uncharted discussion, though from what I remember of the first game, while the enemies' torsos absorbed bullets like a sponge, one headshot was enough to kill them. Except for near the end of the game they all started wearing helmets, which meant one shot to pop it off and another for the kill, at which point you might as well just spray into their chest.

R.R. Bigman
02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I went to download the latest episode of On The Stick when I looked at the runtime. Four hours!? I don't my body can handle that amount of Stick!

MCBanjoMike
02-04-2011, 12:16 PM
I went to download the latest episode of On The Stick when I looked at the runtime. Four hours!? I don't my body can handle that amount of Stick!

Are you referring to ON THE STICK'S 2010 END-OF-YEAR SPECTACULAR?? Because the first part of that is only about two hours long or so. And you should all go listen to it right now.

Calorie Mate
02-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Man, my drop-in would have taken a completely different direction if I'd realized television was on the table for discussion. Bah!

EDIT: Man, this "Who's That Brown?" song is fucking catchy. I rarely throw in with this kind of music, so...awesome.

Stephen
02-04-2011, 06:08 PM
You can get their album (http://www.sendspace.com/file/faxjhg) for free on their website (http://dasracist.net/). That song is by far the best on there, but it's solid. Also, stop being so damn white and start (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ4x_eMxYxo) listening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEBGCOCxLgA) to (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq_TlswD1yM) more (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9b-ibeakUA) hip-hop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdseA8LzSjo).

Yeah, Audacity glitches the time sometimes--it's really "only" 1:47. There is a huge second part coming tomorrow, though. Under normal circumstances I'd never let the show go that long, but I had to make an exception for the year end MEGAPOD.

Calorie Mate
02-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Yeah, Audacity almost always makes the Action Cast episodes look like they're about 30 seconds shorter than they actually are. I've dropped way too much time trying to fix that and have come up short, so...eh.

Ethan
02-05-2011, 04:23 AM
I'm listening to the year-end spectacular. It's good. I'm sorry I missed it... though I guess I was doing awesome vacationy stuff in lieu of it, but whatever.

Hey ESA, listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1cfhhzJ-Q). I don't really listen to underground rap (where "underground" refers to a specific scene, not just anything unsigned or unpopular), but 2010 was a great year for street rap or whatever you want to call it. Also, hometown boys! Chicago has needed this ever since we disowned Kanye.

Hey Calories, download this (http://nsaka.com/products/hindenburg-journalist). The free version doesn't come with any effects, but it's by far the most graceful multitrack editing program I've seen for this purpose. It pretty much has only the functions you'd need in putting together something of the complexity level of This American Life, and all the music-specific and jack-of-all-trades stuff has been stripped out.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Y'all need to listen to some Chet Haze (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuJLw2LKzvQ).

Ethan
02-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Here's a 9-year-old girl killing it over the same beat. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipc9rzqX_Jg)

ShakeWell
02-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Are you referring to ON THE STICK'S 2010 END-OF-YEAR SPECTACULAR?? Because the first part of that is only about two hours long or so. And you should all go listen to it right now.

I've been thinking about this, and... these things we do? Why aren't they STICK-taculars?

R.R. Bigman
02-06-2011, 11:37 AM
When's part 2 of the 2010 Sticktacular going up? I'm going to have a lot of downtime tomorrow and it would go by a lot faster with some more Stick to listen to.

Stephen
02-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Part two is finally up. (http://www.onthestick.com/107/on-the-stick-25-the-2010-stickie-awards-part-2)

Adrenaline
02-07-2011, 05:13 AM
Mike: Your opinion of Toy Story 3 is why bad things happen to you.

Stephen
02-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I haven't seen Toy Story 2 or 3, because I didn't think the first one was anything special. That Mike hated on it kinda makes me want to see it, since it's the first voice of dissent I've heard on the movie.

Our site is down for whatever reason today. The show should still be on iTunes and it can definitely be found on the libsyn page. (http://onthestick.libsyn.com/)

Hey ESA, listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1cfhhzJ-Q). I don't really listen to underground rap (where "underground" refers to a specific scene, not just anything unsigned or unpopular), but 2010 was a great year for street rap or whatever you want to call it. Also, hometown boys! Chicago has needed this ever since we disowned Kanye.

I dig the fuck out of that sample. It's so chill. I'll definitely check out some more of their stuff.

R.R. Bigman
02-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I really enjoyed the second 'cast, especially the horror talk at the end. House of the Devil was a really effective movie at not having anything happen for long periods of time while keeping me in complete suspense for every minute of it. I had rented The Strangers but was too afraid to actually watch it. Home invasion stories scare the hell out of me.

Calorie Mate
02-07-2011, 12:29 PM
listening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEBGCOCxLgA) hip-hop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdseA8LzSjo).

These are the only two of those I liked.

Nyarlathotep
02-07-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm glad Bryce was on to represent my view.

Toy Story 2 > 3 > 1.

Ethan
02-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Oh my god Mike you SUCK.

I won't go on and on about it, but two things:

1. It would not be the worst thing for kids. I loved the shit out of Brave Little Toaster as a little kid. The first time I saw it as an adult I was like oh dear jesus the blanket reconciles with mortality (not to mention the self-immolating air conditioner and the nightmare scene), but that's an adult's reaction. It plays way different for kids. That's why these two movies are some of the only movies that I really think of as movies for all ages, as opposed to movies for children that occasionally throw bones to their parents.

2. This movie told a story about a secret that every (North) American boy knows about internally, but that has never really been made into a story before, which is the irrational, sentimental reverence for one's childhood toys a feeling of saudade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudade) which survives even in the face of massive emotional distractions like the testosterone rush of 13 and the bitter objectivism of 17. Watching this movie was like being taken aside by the people of Pixar and told, it's okay, we all feel that same twinge. I feel like it was made for me. It provides footholds for kids, but its main audience is men, the reverse of the usual. It's special to me because of that. It's possible it has some narrative flaws, like an overwrought scene or two, but I forgive them like you forgive the personality flaws of a trusted friend. And beyond that, it's just tight storytelling and jaw-dropping technical excellence that I suspect will remain graphically impressive for a good decade. It's one of my favorite movies ever.