PDA

View Full Version : Skaianet Approved: General MSPA Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

PapillonReel
07-28-2010, 01:59 PM
MSPA has turned into a behemoth of a webcomic series at this point, considering that Homestuck's bordering on 2,000 pages at the moment and has more plot than you can shake a stick at (to say nothing of Problem Sleuth). Since an involved discussion would likely end up devouring the Webcomics thread whole and since MSPA updates are frequent enough to keep the chatter going, I figured it's about time we started up a thread for the comic itself. So, without further ado:

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/01434.gif

> Talk about MS Paint Adventures. (mspaintadventures.com/)

Also: Pesterchum (http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread.php?30473-MILESTONE!-Pesterchum-2.0) has just been released! Feel like chatting it up with other Tyrants about whatever in particular, or plan on trolling the hell out of them instead? Just post your handle in the thread and have at it.

Currently on the chumroll:
•artificialGirl (teg)
•bosonicExploit (Ruik)
•papillonReel (PapillonReel)
•thunderousArach (shawn struck)

Nodal
07-28-2010, 02:01 PM
I just wanted to say that I love how any other storyteller would just pan to avoid showing the mysterious blood type. Andrew? He makes it flashing rainbow colors and puts a large question mark next to it.

PapillonReel
07-28-2010, 02:11 PM
I just realized that, because of that wound on his side, all that typing Karkat did about blackroms and moirails and whatever he did in his chat with Vriska? It was done entirely one-handed. Holy fuck, that right there is dedication.

Also, Jack Noir: He's all stabbed out. Probably.

Mewd
07-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I like how he's managed to make the trolls sympathetic in general. I didn't figure I might wind up LIKING the body builder one when he was introduced with musclebeast posters. Andrew Hussie seems to take pride in taking characters with offputting traits and making them endearing somehow. To saying nothing of Bro.

Kylie
07-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Or maybe his blood does actually flicker, and the ? is not "MYSTERY TIME" but the author going "WTF, rainbow blood?"

Okay, probably not. But I'd just previously assumed Karkat was grey, and that that was the bottom of the totem pole, not that he was concealing a blood type. But I haven't been reading thoroughly.

Possibly it's UV, since the further towards the violet end you go, the higher the class of the bleeder.

PapillonReel
07-28-2010, 02:37 PM
I like how he's managed to make the trolls sympathetic in general. I didn't figure I might wind up LIKING the body builder one when he was introduced with musclebeast posters. Andrew Hussie seems to take pride in taking characters with offputting traits and making them endearing somehow. To saying nothing of Bro.

Yeah, I never thought I'd see the day where Vriska would be sympathetic, much less likeable, and yet here we are.

Speaking of which, I'm really liking where things seem to be heading at the moment. An espionage mission with Karkat, Vriska and Jack Noir into the heart of Derse (possibly even with Terezi as back-up)? Considering how sociopathic and adorabloodthirsty the three can be at times, this is going to get interesting...

Possibly it's UV, since the further towards the violet end you go, the higher the class of the bleeder.

Could be! Either way, it seems that Andrew's going to be keeping his blood colour underwraps for a while longer - my guess being until the trolls all die, like Sollux predicted inside the veil earlier on. Having him keep it a secret until the very end would have the dramatic impact I think Andrew's aiming for with this arc.

PapillonReel
07-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Come to that, is Sollux waking up the furthest thing we've seen, chronologically?

From what I remember, yeah - according to this strip (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004050), he was the last one into the medium, or at least the last one in on the Blue Team's chain. As it stands, it's looking like the chains will be CG < GC < TC < AT < AG < GA // CT < AA < AC < CA / CC < TA for the two sides, with CA and CC going either way. My guess is it's linked with their dream selves, or something along those lines.

I don't think we've been formally introduced to GrimAuxiliatrix either, now that I think about it. I wonder when we'll get around to her side of the story?

Phat
07-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah I just spent like ten hours catching up and I'm not even close to caught up.

I will never stop. Not when the author is wont to put entire flash games in his comic as an update.

teg
07-28-2010, 03:29 PM
I just love that the trolls seem to be an excercise in making escalatingly reprehensible characters into increasingly endearing characters.

Also, Equius jumping through the first gate and beating the first boss by punching its head off is one of the best crowning moments of awesome the series has had thus far.

Walliard
07-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Well, that reveal came sooner than expected.

PapillonReel
07-28-2010, 05:48 PM
HIS BLOOD IS RED.

Well. Guess that explains everything, I suppose.

Nodal
07-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Well, that reveal came sooner than expected.

Seriously, one day? Hahahaha.

BEAT
07-28-2010, 05:52 PM
So Nodal talked me into reading some of homestuck. His time will come.

It's pretty neat, no lie, but there are parts that make me pause and go "Wait what." I'm not really talking about the whole video game ending the world thing, so much as the fact that once you get aways in, suddenly the jokes are based on assigning numeric values to letters. I can't approve of stuff like that on principle.

Also some of the chatlogs run a little long for my tastes. I'm looking at you, granny jester ghost spirit thing.

_L_
07-28-2010, 06:22 PM
I was rereading this thread (http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread.php?25592-Homestuck-IDE-THEORY-THREAD(ness)-%C3%A2%E2%80%B0%CB%86%C3%8F%E2%82%AC-The-Next-IDEration) the other day, and I saw something interesting:
The only question is: What the crap is GEL VISCOSITY (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002305) for?
It's like HP. The Gel Cube he picked up restored his Life Gauge. I guess the Life Gauge thing is like a Tube of Gel and your Vial of Life inside it, being attacked just slowly pushes your Vial of Life out of your Tube of Gel. His Gel Viscosity increased, so it will now be harder for imps to push his Vial of Life out.

PapillonReel
07-28-2010, 07:02 PM
It's pretty neat, no lie, but there are parts that make me pause and go "Wait what." I'm not really talking about the whole video game ending the world thing, so much as the fact that once you get aways in, suddenly the jokes are based on assigning numeric values to letters. I can't approve of stuff like that on principle.

Yeah, the fetch modi jokes and the like tend to wear out their welcome after a while, I found. On the plus side, you're nearing the point in the story when they start having less and less relevance; it's rare that they get mentioned at all once Dave enters the medium and the plot really starts to take over.

Better get used to the chat logs though; they're only getting more common from here on out (though the trolls being awesome mitigates that somewhat. Karkat/carcinoGeneticist and Terezi/gallowsCalibrator? Right up there with John as two of my favourite characters).

teg
07-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Oh, and now that we have a thread for it I guess I'll post this again:

EDIT: wait a second. The forums are all locked, so that link won't work. It's the Pesterchum download. I'll repost it later.

Also, am I the only person who has a borderline obsession with figuring out ways to break Sburb? The Captchalog Camera and Pictionary modus being perfect examples of exactly how to sequence-break the whole thing.

In one of the many Homestuck /co/ threads, I once mentioned the first thing I would alchemize would be "printer && captchalog card".

Alixsar
07-28-2010, 07:31 PM
So should we start a Penny Arcade thread? And a Kate Beaton thread? And a any-other-generally-liked-by-TT-webcomic-thread?

I'm just curious.

PapillonReel
07-28-2010, 07:38 PM
So should we start a Penny Arcade thread? And a Kate Beaton thread? And a any-other-generally-liked-by-TT-webcomic-thread?

I'm just curious.

Uh, no? Slippery slope isn't exactly a valid argument, and I've already gone into detail in the first post why MSPA warrants its own thread anyway (namely: serialization, update speed, relative complexity, full-on discussion overwhelming the other comics, etc.).

EDIT: I think I'll add in the Pesterchum link to the OP, Teg. Plus it doesn't hurt having all of the handles up there to save people the trouble of hunting through the thread for them.

EDIT2: Pesterchum is hell on Macs. :/ Anyway, I'm papillonReel on the chance I'm online (which isn't often; I'm terrible with IM clients).

Healy
07-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Jack Noir and Karkat: Best Hatefriends Forever.

Brickroad
07-29-2010, 05:16 AM
I'll be honest, I stopped reading the chat logs in their entirety some time ago. I just have my MSPA-fiend buddy bottom-line them for me.

teg
07-29-2010, 05:43 AM
What? The new Pesterchum version has a quirk manager! Now all those stupid typing gimmicks are automatic! Doing this!

Your chumhandle is artificialGirl. You have an un4tun8 10dency 2 type f1ny. You are a fan of HIGHLY ELABORATE WEBCOMICS and HIGHLY INEFFICIENT CHAT CLIENTS, and are a longtime perpetrator of COMPULSIVE FAN-WANKERY.

shawn struck
07-29-2010, 06:29 AM
Done!

thunderousArach, here.

Adrenaline
07-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Man, could you guys have been more wrong about the blood thing?

Also some of the chatlogs run a little long for my tastes.

Yeah. They're usually funny, but I still find myself sighing every time an especially long one presents itself.

Merus
07-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Man, could you guys have been more wrong about the blood thing?

I'm glad someone pointed out that a lot of the spooky foreshadowing gets resolved anticlimactically in a couple of days max. Should keep it in mind the next time - I mean after all we do know how this ends, the trolls lose.

Kirin
07-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Man, I read a bit of MSPA back when it was about some noir-ish dude trying to get out of his apartment. This thread is very bewildering.

Adam
07-29-2010, 08:56 AM
CG < GC < TC < AT < AG < GA // CT < AA < AC < CA / CC < TA

Wait. So all the trolls are DNA?

PapillonReel
07-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Wait. So all the trolls are DNA?

Sburb kids, too. GT (EB) < TT < TG < GG

Captain Keene
07-29-2010, 10:08 AM
p3St3rc|-|uM 5u% u53 4 r341 cl13nt l1k3 tr0ll14n

teg
07-29-2010, 10:47 AM
I discovered something about Pesterchum: You have to save before you close it or it will drop all the names you add to your chumroll, plus your own info.

You seemingly have to enter your own chumhandle each time.

Patrick
07-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I was really annoyed by long chatlogs for a while, but I've grown to love them. They usually have some of the funniest parts of the story buried in them.

shawn struck
07-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Kind of interesting how in the kids' session, it was Jack's vanity that lead to him snapping and finally ursurping the Queen while in the troll's session, it was the Queen's vanity that was her weakness.

Adrenaline
07-29-2010, 04:57 PM
They usually have some of the funniest parts of the story buried in them.

Key word.

shawn struck
07-29-2010, 06:09 PM
So I was pestering one of my chums, when he came up with this awesome theory about Lord English, specifically, his identity.

In pool, who does the cue ball "serve"? The dude with the cue. The player. ... but you're the player! YOU ARE LORD ENGLISH.

PapillonReel
07-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Hrm... I can't help but wonder what role Bilious Slick has in all of this. On the one hand, the frog temple is where Sollux and Aradia unearthed the information to create Sgrub, as well as (presumably) the makers of Sburb, meaning that he has some hand in the game the kids are all playing. But on the other hand the Dersites outright disgust for the frogs (as well as Becquerel's guarding of the temple itself) makes it seem much more dangerous than thus far shown. I'm guessing that Bilious Slick is related to Lhttp://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/scraps/o.gifrd English somehow, possibly as an equal? Maybe someone in opposition? Or just a red herring? Guess we'll find out later on, my guess being once Jade gets to work on entering the medium.

Also: Oh, hey there Doc Scratch. We were wondering where you went.

Bongo Bill
07-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Oh, so that's why the frog temple is a crime scene.

teg
07-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Clearly Lord English and Bilious Slick are just pseudonyms adopted by Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/CX-Neo/1278817812858.png

I WARNED YOU ABOUT ESCHER BRO

I TOLD YOU DAWG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVw23WyIQdI&feature=related)

PapillonReel
07-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Well damn. (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004219) I sorta expected the two teams to link together at some point, but forming the mobius caught me a little off guard. I'm pretty sure every character arc so far's been wrapped up at this point, so I'm guessing with that we're just about done the troll's arc - all that's left is to introduce the last three characters, show their fight with the Black King and start delving into the rift and how it's going to kill them all. Then again, there's no telling what else might come up I suppose...

Also: Gotta like the nice touch with Karkat alchemizing his sickle with Jack's regisword. Terezi's dragon cane is pretty awesome too.

EDIT: Oh hey, what's this thing (http://www.pizzatriangles.com/trollslation.html).

Gredlen
07-30-2010, 11:54 PM
I don't know how many people have already noticed this, but Jade's dog, Bec, is the kids' version of Doc Scratch (http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004153).

Merus
07-31-2010, 12:36 AM
Oh, so that's why the frog temple is a crime scene.

Wait, why is the frog temple a crime scene?

PapillonReel
07-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Wait, why is the frog temple a crime scene?

The Dersites hate Bilious Slick (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004208) (billiards stick?) and his ilk, so much so that any depictions and idols of him are banned while inside Derse's borders. Ergo, the frog temple is breaking the law (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003810).

EDIT: Wait, I just noticed: the frog temple's design is a model for the incipisphere, isn't it? Hence the four towers for each of the kids lands, as well as the two small ones beside the temple (Prospit) and furthest away (Derse)... With the frog in the middle, that means that Bilious Slick might be part of Skaia itself holy craaaaaaaap

EDIT 2: Hey cool, GA has a name now.

dtsund
07-31-2010, 04:11 PM
I must say, looking over this thread makes me very reluctant to read MSPA. It is... scary, in a similar way to how Dwarf Fortress is scary.

ravinoff
07-31-2010, 05:28 PM
I started reading Homestuck shortly after this thread was first posted and as of this afternoon have caught up. Damn, this is a tremendously fun webcomic/multimedia-thing.

Walliard
07-31-2010, 06:56 PM
I must say, looking over this thread makes me very reluctant to read MSPA. It is... scary, in a similar way to how Dwarf Fortress is scary.

Start with Problem Sleuth; it's shorter and less convoluted.

BEAT
07-31-2010, 07:05 PM
I keep hearing that the troll chatlogs are amazingly high on hilarity, but honestly the "troll" way they type makes it almost unreadable. So my high-speed rush through the archives has sort of lost steam.

Also, I really doubt any of the conversations could possibly be more hilarious than Dave's "Welcome to Nam" (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002999) speech.
Start with Problem Sleuth; it's shorter and less convoluted.That's like saying painting the mona lisa on the head of a pin is easier than painting the last supper on the head of a pin.

It might be true but it barely matters.

Nodal
07-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Also, I really doubt any of the conversations could possibly be more hilarious than Dave's "Welcome to Nam" (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002999) speech.

None of them are, but did you really expect anything to be funnier than that?

BEAT
07-31-2010, 07:19 PM
No, I honestly didn't.

PapillonReel
07-31-2010, 08:23 PM
I keep hearing that the troll chatlogs are amazingly high on hilarity, but honestly the "troll" way they type makes it almost unreadable. So my high-speed rush through the archives has sort of lost steam.

Yeah, that's the big problem of the troll convos as a whole; they're not nearly as easy to break into as the chats between the other kids because of the "quirks" used (especially when they start getting more complex and, uh, idiotic). This should help mitigate things somewhat, however (http://www.pizzatriangles.com/trollslation.html).

EDIT: I doubt anything's going to match that one though. I forgot just how viciously Dave counter-trolls AT at the time. D:

teg
07-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Start with Problem Sleuth; it's shorter and less convoluted.I actually find Problem Sleuth more convoluted. Homestuck is complex, but Problem Sleuth just didn't make sense at points.

...Also the final boss takes more than half of the entire story.

PapillonReel
07-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Sollux is the only one I have trouble reading, really. I wonder what the last two unrevealed trolls will be like in that regard... we haven't even seen a hint of their dialogue so far, even in the main story.

Rumour mill is that CA is going to be an eco-freak while CC's gonna channel Jade's silliness, but so far there's nothing really concrete otherwise (outside of their teasers, of course). Pisces is pestering Kanaya right now though, so maybe we'll get our first peak at them sometime tomorrow today.

On another note, Andrew's answering some more questions (http://www.formspring.me/andrewhussie).

Ruik
08-01-2010, 04:55 PM
A new Chum has appeared! Command?

bosonicExploit

EDIT:

A favorite of mine from the Q and A:

Q: I am hopelessly addicted to your comic, and like all junkies, I’m beginning to require larger doses of it to keep me satisfied. Would you be terribly miffed if I just cut out the middleman and skipped to eating your brain?

A: I think a lot of people are in your shoes and it's probably kind of irresponsible of me to produce something that lends itself addiction through such erratic daily updates.

But then I look through a lot of these questions and I wonder... do these people even understand what they're obsessed with?? This doesn't make sense!

Nothing makes sense. I'm going to drive all you people insane, and you won't even understand what's happening to you. We're all going down together.

Sayonara motherfuckers.

Traumadore
08-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I spent several, several hours reading all of Problem Sleuth on friday. It was really fun. I think I only laughed exactly 2 times, but I was smiling all the way.

It left me with serious doubts about how much the audience had to do with it though, but that's probably because it was all sitting there in finished form.

Phat
08-02-2010, 07:59 AM
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/scraps/calhead.gif

Traumadore
08-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I started homestuck, but it didn't hook me immediately like problem sleuth. I might give it another chance, or just wait a while. I might just be fatigued?

MrBlarney
08-02-2010, 08:57 AM
I had a similar experience with Homestuck myself - it's not really as immediately catchy as Problem Sleuth. I binged Problem Sleuth over less than a week's period around the end of last year, but didn't really start delving into Homestuck until earlier this year. So it might be a bit of fatigue...

PapillonReel
08-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I started homestuck, but it didn't hook me immediately like problem sleuth. I might give it another chance, or just wait a while. I might just be fatigued?

The thing about Homestuck also is that it takes a little while to get started with the meat of the story (Andrew's gone on record that he did so deliberately, in order to ease readers into the new stuff), so you pretty much have to stick with it 'til the end of Act 1 before things pick up.

PapillonReel
08-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Huh, CA's just been revealed in the latest chatlog. Also: he's a bit of an asshole! Not much of a surprise considering he's got Caligula in the name, but still. Figures, the one guy who had to be my zodiac troll... Gotta suck to be stuck in the moirail zone, though. :/

Anyway, nice to have some more concrete info on whatever the hell troll friendships are. Kanaya and Vriska: BFFs?

teg
08-03-2010, 06:57 AM
Huh, CA's just been revealed in the latest chatlog. Also: he's a bit of an asshole! Not much of a surprise considering he's got Caligula in the name, but still. Figures, the one guy who had to be my zodiac troll...This describes every troll's first appearance, and they're all generally likable.

I'm more amused by Kanaya being a Twilight fan, especially since /co/ felt that a Twilight troll would be the next logical step after an ICP troll.

BEAT
08-03-2010, 07:38 AM
This describes every troll's first appearance, and they're all generally likable except Vriska

teg
08-03-2010, 07:51 AM
I like Vriska.

I hated her at first, but she grew on me.

Mightyblue
08-03-2010, 10:43 PM
So wait, the trollkunds are from the future?

PapillonReel
08-03-2010, 11:00 PM
I think this strip (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003842) pretty much says it all:

I have used a spell to rip this walkthrough from Earth's decaying network, and sealed it in one of the servers floating in the Furthest Ring. The gods may disperse the signal throughout the cosmos as they wish. Perhaps it will be of use to past or future species who like us have been ensared by Skaia's malevolent tendrils.

Time isn't really a factor, I'm supposing. I like how Kanaya thinks Rose went Rambo on Sburb and single-handedly won the game after that entry though. If she were to discover her quest ended in failure, it might be somewhat disillusioning.

But that thought never crossed her mind.

Walliard
08-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Really, concepts like past or future are meaningless when dealing with such things (http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Weird_Time_Shit).

PapillonReel
08-03-2010, 11:24 PM
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/Troll_Rose_derpa_derp_by_wafflebat.jpg

DISILLUSIONING, INDEED. (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003614)

EDIT: Isn't it odd that Kanaya's first chat with Rose has a tone of unfamiliarity to it? Hmm.

Merus
08-03-2010, 11:24 PM
WHAT A TWIST

Actually, no, that's pretty awesome. It gives a reason for the trolls to be contacting the humans and it makes the troll conversations much more resonant.

Remember that Kanaya's first contact with who she thought was Rose was actually with John. Now we know that she knew who Rose was beforehand and thought she was supersmart. And she gets John instead.

Edit: damn you with your sniping!

Adrenaline
08-04-2010, 09:49 AM
I thought the trolls chatting out of time order with the kids allowed for them being in the future already.

PapillonReel
08-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey, Tavros is in now it seems? The place where Vriska put the totem lathe had me lollin'.

teg
08-04-2010, 08:03 PM
You are now realizing Tavros' wheelchair won't run on sand.

PapillonReel
08-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Okay. So. Back to hating Vriska again, I guess.

EDIT: I mean, I know she's trying to motivate Tavros in her own special way and all, but man. It looks like this'll be what finally sends him over the edge though.

Merus
08-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Okay. So. Back to hating Vriska again, I guess.

EDIT: I mean, I know she's trying to motivate Tavros in her own special way and all, but man. It looks like this'll be what finally sends him over the edge though.
Literally!

PapillonReel
08-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Literally!

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/01908.gif

I walked right into that one, didn't I.

Walliard
08-04-2010, 09:50 PM
AG: Apologize, Pupa!
AG: Apologiiiiiiiize!!!!!!!!
AG: Say you're sorry for being a cripple! Wheeeeeeee!
AG: Aaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!

We are so far beyond BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH territory here.

BEAT
08-05-2010, 06:51 AM
It's easier if you never liked her in the first place.

Brickroad
08-05-2010, 06:53 AM
I don't know what you sissies are crying about. Making fun of cripples is AWESOME.

Nodal
08-05-2010, 09:27 AM
It's easier if you never liked her in the first place.

What's hilarious is that she never did a single redeeming thing other than complain and people liked her again. What will it be next time? She blogs on her livejournal?

PapillonReel
08-05-2010, 10:01 AM
What's hilarious is that she never did a single redeeming thing other than complain and people liked her again. What will it be next time? She blogs on her livejournal?

Thing is, up until she shifted into the whole "apologize for being a cripple" deal... Vriska actually had a good point. Regardless of her role in the scenario, Sgrub isn't going to give two shits about Tavros's disability in the long run and taking the easy way out to win is just going to screw him over later on when he ends up underleveled and underpowered, just like what happened in the Flarp sessions they used to have. Granted, forcing him to climb several stories of stairs was going hella overboard, but at the same time he could've used his animal communion ability in place of it (and Vriska even mentions as much!) - the only reason he doesn't is because, in his own words, he doesn't want to and he's going to have to drop that attitude somewhere down the line if he plans on surviving the game.

Vriska, meanwhile, is just really fucked up in the head. My guess is she doesn't want to be blamed for crippling Tavros, and like with Aradia, she just wants him to finally hate her in the hopes that she can move on from it. Which is probably why she's so desperate to force her hate onto him instead and gets so flustered when he's unperturbed by what she's doing (or, in her P.O.V., his "smugness"). The way I see things panning out, Tavros is probably going to end up giving in and apologizing - or worse yet, forgiving her for what she did - which is probably going to rattle her even more when she realizes just what the hell she's doing wrong. I can see some redemption further in for her, it's just... labourious getting to that point, is all.

Merus
08-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I can see some redemption further in for her, it's just... labourious getting to that point, is all.

If there's one thing I've noticed about this storyline, it's that it tends to resolve subplots pretty quickly. I bet this'll happen tomorrow.

teg
08-05-2010, 12:39 PM
You continue to be sad and alone.oh goooooooood

shawn struck
08-05-2010, 06:22 PM
oh goooooooood

I didn't get all choked up but I gave the screen SUCH A FROWN.

Tavros is officially The Woobie.

PapillonReel
08-05-2010, 08:10 PM
oh goooooooood

:C

EDIT: Hahaha, Kanaya's mediating now. Yaaaaaaaay!

PapillonReel
08-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Oh my God, you guys. You guys.

Tavros now has a dESPERADO ROCKET CHAIR, (http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/track/desperado-rocket-chairs)

pshoooes

Also: I guess this is the redemption I was looking forward to with Vriska? Even if she needed some (okay, a lot of) prodding from Kanaya, she's... being legitimately nice to Tavros. This is really, really weird! Having her room cleaned up by GA was a neat (ha!) little touch, too.

BEAT
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
She's not being "Legitimately nice" she did one non-asshole thing because Kanaya was going to go upside her head with a toilet if she didn't.

Nodal
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Tomorrow: Vriska builds ramps for Tavros out of the bones of kittens and orphans.

Tomorrow: The rocket shoes explode, destroying his wheelchair.

Walliard
08-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Regardless, I'm sure we can all agree that "pshoooes" is the best captchalogue code ever.

PapillonReel
08-06-2010, 03:52 PM
She's not being "Legitimately nice" she did one non-asshole thing because Kanaya was going to go upside her head with a toilet if she didn't.

Yeah, but it was her idea to do all this though - Kanaya just forced her to shift gears. She could've just half-assed it and just replaced the stairs with ramps and gone back to tormenting him soon after but instead he gets a rocket chair to help him out with. Even if she's still a BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH (and she is, don't get me wrong; it's going to take a lot to undo what she did just a few updates before), that's at the very least a step in the right direction.

Of course, watch as she goes and undoes all that when they take it for a test drive tomorrow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye-kPP3D27o#t=0m50s).

Nodal
08-07-2010, 03:28 PM
I seem to recall a similar plan with rockets...

BEAT
08-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Surely Tavros will just add the denizen to his growing army of terrifying monsters.

Surely.

PapillonReel
08-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah, it'd be funny if Tavros steamrollered his world by recruiting the denizen. Guess we'll see what happens when he goes through the gate... right now? Huh, I guess not. Land of Maps and Treasure is pretty cool, and fitting considering Vriska's role and-

Wait what the heck why is she dressed like...?

This is, uh, certainly different than what I was expecting.

PapillonReel
08-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Her patch is also on the other eye now. Weird.

dude... you've got to FLIP it. TURN-WAYS (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003249)

ravinoff
08-08-2010, 03:53 PM
"Make Pupa have happy thoughts"

This I did not expect. Or like possibly imagine. I think Nepeta might have to update her shipping wall.

Mightyblue
08-08-2010, 03:58 PM
"Make Pupa have happy thoughts"

This I did not expect. Or like possibly imagine. I think Nepeta might have to update her shipping wall.

Poor Tavros. He's got a black widow for a girlfriend. Hahaha

PapillonReel
08-08-2010, 04:13 PM
What is this

I don't even

asdfjkl;

Sloppy make-outs ♉x♏ what what what

Alex Scott
08-08-2010, 05:39 PM
First thing I thought: "Man, Vriska really is evil."

Second thing I thought: "Man, troll romance really is confusing."

Phat
08-08-2010, 05:57 PM
You know she had a crazy crush on the dude the whole time.

But instead of teasing him she crippled him for life.

PapillonReel
08-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Okay, I really just don't have any idea what the hell's going on here.

Double Rainbow omg... (http://www.bougan.com/InsanityEtc/Animations/doublerainbow.html)

Olli T
08-08-2010, 11:32 PM
so good

Merus
08-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Vriska's still a bully.

Olli T
08-09-2010, 01:35 AM
Vriska's still a bully.

oh, certainly, a bully AND a tease

Nodal
08-09-2010, 03:55 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ravinoff
08-09-2010, 04:06 PM
A detail I especially liked:

As can be inferred from Nepeta's shipping wall (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004195) different kinds of troll relationships are symbolized with playing card suites. On the page after the kiss (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004281) is a rapidly switching question marked heart/spade animation. A nice illustration of Vriska's ever so fucked up and conflicted feelings towards Tavros (heart being something resembling romantic feeling as we would think of them and a spade likely being Kismesis (http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Troll_Relationships)).

PapillonReel
08-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Also a better romantic drama too. I mean, just... Goddamn, man. Kanaya's character arc has gotten me really bummed out; the poor girl just doesn't deserve for it to turn out like this.

Guess CA was right in the end. Being a kid and growing up... it's hard and nobody understands.

Bongo Bill
08-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Troll romance explained! There's twue wuv, just friends, close enemies, and hatefucking.

Adrenaline
08-10-2010, 08:30 AM
You guys care way too much about this shit and are just as bad as the people on MSPA's forums.

shawn struck
08-10-2010, 08:57 AM
You guys care way too much about this shit and are just as bad as the people on MSPA's forums.

Man, thank heavens you were around to point out our faults!

Adrenaline
08-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Man, thank heavens you were around to point out our faults!

I do what I can.

Bongo Bill
08-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I just wanted to use the word "hatefucking."

Walliard
08-10-2010, 07:27 PM
>Shut up and jam. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oL93R-P0k8)

Adrenaline
08-10-2010, 07:47 PM
I just wanted to use the word "hatefucking."

I just wanted to get an overly offended reply to a throwaway post.

BEAT
08-10-2010, 08:38 PM
So you failed then?

shawn struck
08-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Homestuck is now also a better romantic comedy than Questionable Content.

Wow, yeah, good point!

Adrenaline
08-10-2010, 09:51 PM
So you failed then?

Yeah, I was hoping for a bit more.

PapillonReel
08-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm finding it interesting that Andrew's giving Vriska so much emphasis in Hivebent so far - from a tally I read on the MSPA boards, she's in the lead by a good 20 or so pages right after (I think) Aradia. I mean, not that I'm complaining! Just that I'm curious as to how big a role she's going to have in the upcoming act, especially since a lot of this is being done to flesh out her character more than any of the other trolls. Considering that she's made pseudo-appearances twice (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003290) already (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003644) it looks like Andrew's been waiting on her debut for a while now.

Also interesting: the only trolls we've seen bothering the kids so far (even if just a flashing Pesterchum icon) are from the red team (Sollux and Aradia only making appearances and being referenced respectively behind the scenes). I guess Karket's just especially gung-ho about this trolling business?

poetfox
08-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Why in the world is Hussie explaining Troll Romance in such a blatant way? It was already pretty clearly explained in character by Karkat and by the shipping wall. Sure, maybe you don't understand it 100%, but you get it, you know?

It just seems pointless to add exposition to concepts that were being explained perfectly well in context while the story was going on.

Bongo Bill
08-10-2010, 11:11 PM
If he didn't explain it, we'd have nothing to go off of but fanon. That word should be understood as being accompanied by a diminished organ chord, an ominous thunderbolt, or perhaps a wolf howling in the distance.

poetfox
08-10-2010, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't say they're explained yet, and if I came off that way, that's something I should clarify. I saw Hussie as still in the process of explaining it organically, as we see the trolls start to put labels to their interactivities. It's not clear yet for all parts, but it's going places. I had no doubt what Kismesis was before this, for example.

But yeahyeah, perfectly valid stance, Nich, and it's not going to cause me stop reading in a huff or something silly like that because he's doing it. It just doesn't jive with what I consider good exposition.

Then again, I feel I'm very often kind of... not the norm with such things. Not knowing the exact definition of those words, for example, really doesn't bother me, even when they're being thrown around. I have a good enough idea from context, and I just kind of assume that the exact definition doesn't matter, or it would be easy to figure out. But I know plenty of people who would be really frustrated to not have these sorts of answers in something they're invested in, and that's probably more the norm.

poetfox
08-10-2010, 11:21 PM
I do see where you're coming from, but it's also part of the motif of this arc to have things that would ordinarily be built up organically suddenly get a harsh, cold light shone on them. Getting you just on the cusp of figuring out what the less obvious of the quadrants mean, and then coming out and saying "It's this," is the same work he's been doing with easing into any given mini-arc into this intermission before fast-forwarding to its conclusion.

Really, really good point which hadn't clicked for me till you said it.

Walliard
08-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Trolls are just as confused as we are. Good to know.

PapillonReel
08-11-2010, 10:30 PM
And the last two have now been revealed! GLUB GLUB GLUB.

Walliard
08-11-2010, 11:12 PM
So flamboyant.

KCar
08-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Sometimes I feel like Andrew Hussie and the XKCD guy could be friends, where Hussie is the "cool" guy who knows how to pass, but invities his nerdier friend to parties and stuff.

PapillonReel
08-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Right off the bat: HERO MODE. Gotta say, I like the evil hipster Harry Potter motif he's got going on.

Also: Holy fuck, Eridan's got Ahab's Crosshairs. D:

teg
08-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I came here to mention the Ahab's Crosshairs.

Instead just pretend I said something about how glad I am that we finally have confirmation that Kanaya is gay.

PapillonReel
08-12-2010, 08:28 PM
I came here to mention the Ahab's Crosshairs.

Instead just pretend I said something about how glad I am that we finally have confirmation that Kanaya is gay.

Aah, sorry! When I saw CA's new page, I was just so

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/cc-excite-1.png

Hrm... I think I'm about due for another fanart dump.

PapillonReel
08-12-2010, 09:51 PM
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/UMAD.png

AGAIN with the trolls what IS it even with you and TROLLS MAN

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/gift.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/iamapaleontologist.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/Karkat.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/Vriska.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/Vrisssssssska_by_SUPER_SCHERZO_64_BIT.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/scourgesisters.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/wwhatisthismess.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/makehima.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/dsc00474fy.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/timetables-2.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/A_Land_Under_the_Sea_by_tehKawesome.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/trolltwilight.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/The_Sky_with_no_Shades_by_Shadizilla.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/A_Friend_to_Fix_by_Lumisatu.jpg

PapillonReel
08-12-2010, 09:52 PM
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/fierce.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/RUFIORUFIORUFIOOOOOO.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/WHAT_ARE_YOU_TRYING_TO_PULL_by_Clorin_Spats.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/whatamess.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/egbond__color__by_sassyismymiddlename.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/VriskaL.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/laundry.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/trollclub.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/kanayagreendress.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/IAMTHELAW.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/Magic_Rocket_Ride_by_tehKawesome.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/CMOOOOOOOON_KICK_THE_8ALL_by_ktjayne.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/ccca-uncolor.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/2q1guvqjpg.png
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/Y-EA.png

Also: Rose (http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/rose-tria.jpg) | WV (http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/of4yvl.png) | WV+PM (http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/candlelight-1.png) | Midnight Crew (http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/onlyforyou.png) | WV vs SS (http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/One_of_us_is_goin___down_by_angelblood.jpg) | Rap battle (http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/DROP_IT_LIKE_IT__S_HOT_by_MegaRose.png) | Porkhollow? (http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/porkhollowlove.png) | SMT: Hivebent (http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/AradiaUsesMegidoNormalSize.png) | More trolls?? (http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8844/fuckyes.png) | Ophiuchus!? (http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/troll13.png) | Lil CaaaAAAAGH (http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/Fanart%20dump/calcalcal.jpg)

Okay, I'll stop now.

Reinforcements
08-13-2010, 05:02 AM
Homestuck/They Might Be Giants crossover fanart? ~SWOON~

PapillonReel
08-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Well to be fair, he did just shoot a hole through a whale with that harpoon gun of his. That... that's something, at least. To think, Jade's getting one of these things for herself sometime this or next act? Sheesh.

Nodal
08-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Your hobbies are shooting the fuck out of wind fish.

Adrenaline
08-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Who wants to bet that their "true feelings" for each other aren't in the same quadrant?

Sure wouldn't bet against it oh my god I'm discussing this

Walliard
08-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Homestuck/They Might Be Giants crossover fanart? ~SWOON~

There's more. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6PA4sHwYpU) (Problem Sleuth, anyway)

He's also working on one with Weird Al's Your Horoscope for Today. With the Trolls, naturally.

shawn struck
08-18-2010, 03:56 PM
He's also working on one with Weird Al's Your Horoscope for Today. With the Trolls, naturally.

I can't wait!

Also, now that we know the deal with troll romance, it certainly but Karkat's "friday night hate date" line in perspective.

Merus
08-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Guys, I think someone at Atlus really likes Homestuck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj9COPsEsoc).
And that someone is you?

PapillonReel
08-19-2010, 09:56 PM
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/PapillonReel3/02467.gif

Poor guy... makes you cry. Unt I did.

Guys, I think someone at Atlus really likes Homestuck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj9COPsEsoc).

Man, why'd you have to give me ideas. Now watch as I end up spending all of autumn pain-stakingly recreating MSPA characters in that game.

All of the characters. All of them.

teg
08-20-2010, 04:58 AM
Fucking Gamzee making me laugh during Sollux's not real death.

PapillonReel
08-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Fucking Gamzee making me laugh during Sollux's not real death.

HoNk HoNk! :o) Also gotta love how Spades Slick is still as acerbic as ever, even when he's consoling a sobbing Karkat.

Anyway, I guess this is part one of the two deaths Sollux predicted for himself at the start of the troll arc, and my guess is that the other half of that is relating to all of the trolls' dream selves dying later on. Does this mean they'll be in the clear once we shift back to the kids, or is there something else lurking in the wings, I wonder?

Kylie
08-20-2010, 06:06 PM
I sort of assumed Gamzee was too down with miracles to alchemize anything, and seeing his normal-computer basically proved this for me.

And then I saw his new unicycle.

PapillonReel
08-20-2010, 07:50 PM
And then I saw his new unicycle.

PcHoOoNk

I'm betting on the latter, unfortunately, and it's probably going to happen real soon after we get back to the kids. I don't have time to track down the exact pesterlogs for reference right now, but IIRC the trolls have mentioned more than once that they can't see what happens to the kids past when they trigger the rift, and I'm guessing that's because the trolls themselves don't last very long after that.

Oh yeah, that's right; I think Tavros brought it up back when he was talking to Jade. Still, I'm kinda holding out on the hope that the kids and the trolls end up meeting each other at some point, maybe with each of them pairing up with Karkat, Terezi, Kanaya and a fourth troll (Tavros? Sollux? Aradia?) when they head into the rift and shit gets hellacious rudebrazen up in the biznasty.

Or, if not that (and probably the more likely alternative), maybe them finding out that the kids are their only chance at getting out of things alive and help them out to the best of their ability to prepare for Lord English. It'd be kinda fitting for Karkat and John to share a platonic bro bump bulge before he heads in to fight the final boss.

PapillonReel
08-21-2010, 06:28 PM
"Goddamn troll kids. Every time you turn around they're smoochin' each other. Makes a man want to stab his own gut and puke blood."

On another note: Troll shirts! (http://mspaintadventures.com/trollshirts.html)

teg
08-21-2010, 08:46 PM
now you too can pay twenty dollars for a black shirt with a monochrome public domain vector on it

shawn struck
08-21-2010, 08:52 PM
now you too can pay twenty dollars for a black shirt with a monochrome public domain vector on it

Yeah, I was kinda underwhelmed too.

I am for sure making sure to get a green slime ghost shirt and dave record shirt when I have the money though.

Adam
08-22-2010, 03:26 AM
without my own vector image software, I have no way to accurately reproduce the zodiac symbols at the resolution I'd need to put them on a shirt.

Inkscape (www.inkscape.org)

teg
08-22-2010, 07:04 AM
What the flying fuck just happened?

BEAT
08-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Andrew looked up at his most recent update and said, "Oh hey, we have a guy watching a guy on a screen, watching a guy on a screen, watching a guy. Time to do a giant recap."

Then he drew himself covered in body paint.

Olli T
08-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Man, I only just realized that the troll personalities are completely based on their zodiac signs.

Adrenaline
08-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Awesome.

Bongo Bill
08-22-2010, 02:21 PM
It's obvious he's building up to his avatar getting some kind of extremely satisfying comeuppance. He will explicitly describe it as something along those lines as if that makes it okay, but it still won't be as good as if he'd continued without all this nonsense. We know it and he knows it and he's still going to do it anyway. He cannot resist meditating on the nature of the relationship between author, reader, and text.

I want to find out what happens next to Rose and Dave.

PapillonReel
08-22-2010, 06:57 PM
re Shirts: Maybe it's just me, but I like that it's really simple; most of the webcomic shirts I've seen out there are cluttered, overdesigned messes that I wouldn't wear a day in my life. Anyway, I've got an ♒ shirt coming its way regardless, so might as well make the best of it.

re Updates: Land of Stumps and Dismay absolutely slayed me. Well played, Andrew. Well played.

poetfox
08-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Huge Important Formspring Post. (http://www.formspring.me/andrewhussie/q/1001292582)

Favorite Paragraph from it go!

That doesn't mean we lose sight of the fact that this stuff is ridiculous. It's still plenty ridiculous. The juggalo movement still strikes me as awfully silly, and so does overzealous shipping. The thing is, we can mock stuff and that's fine. It doesn't mean that stuff demands excessive scorn, or can't be treated as a legitimate topic to roll with in a story. So I think drawing your own horse porn is pretty weird. But who am I to say that's REALLY so terrible? I'm not better than anybody. I'll poke fun at it for a while, but then I'll just roll with horse dicks with a straight face for a while too. Maybe have a beer with them. Turns out they're a good bunch of dicks when you get to know 'em!

I'm kind of biased to people saying things like that, though.

PapillonReel
08-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Yay, it's Clubs Deuce!

Wait, what is Sollux... oh noooooooo

PapillonReel
08-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Huge Important Formspring Post. (http://www.formspring.me/andrewhussie/q/1001292582)

Favorite Paragraph from it go!

I'm kind of biased to people saying things like that, though.

Just finished reading through this myself. I suppose Andrew's approach to this is partly why I love Homestuck's characters so much - even when he's making fun of something, he takes the time to bring out the better side of it all the same and show just how weird and diverse everything really is. I mean, at first I thought I'd grow to hate Gamzee and his juggalo-ness, but over time he's become one of the nicest, most likeable characters in the entire comic. I'd chill with that guy anytime, clown religion be damned.

On another note, we're now that the land of... brains and fire. Huh. Ok, that's a little weirder than I was expecting, but ok. Feferi isn't really taking it well, though.

Spikey
08-24-2010, 10:49 PM
I found this amusing.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/uploads/2472010/132_project_horoscope.swf

shawn struck
08-24-2010, 10:58 PM
I found this amusing.

This is BEAUTIFUL.

Troll Weird Al Yanokvich is awesome.

ravinoff
08-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Tavros and Vriska happily adventuring together and gaining loot is almost as funny and disturbing as their kiss.

Patrick
08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
I found this amusing.

That is brilliant.

I love the part of the story that we're at with the Trolls. I can't wait until they're in larger groups, just pissing each other off and acting goofy.

PapillonReel
08-25-2010, 09:08 AM
The Zodiac is the means by which all is revealed.

Yessssssss

I found this amusing.

Oh wow, he actually finished it! It's really well done, to boot - much better than the other one with all the zooming and the panning.

Also: Tavros and Vriska seem to getting along swimmingly! Judging by the lack of a psych-out, it seems legitimate too; it's kinda adorable, really. Also interesting that Snowman can't seem to influence her, so it's going to be interesting seeing how she handles Terezi.

Patrick
08-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Are we sure that the 8th exile is Snowman? I honestly don't remember that term being used before.

Also, would there be 12 exiles on this instance of the game, since there were 4 for the kids?

PapillonReel
08-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Are we sure that the 8th exile is Snowman? I honestly don't remember that term being used before.

Seems like it's her to me. Snowman is the 8-ball of the felt so 8th exile seems like enough of a nod to her, and she has enough of an axe to grind to want to get back at Slick (hence the need for someone "crafty").

It looks like the number of exiles is linked to the number of players in a session, since the object they need to break open to enter the medium corresponds directly to their terminal for another player. Going by their dreamselves alone, my guess is we'll have five Dersians (Snowman and the Midnight Crew) and seven Prospitians (Ms. Paint + a bunch of others?) but an even six split isn't impossible.

PapillonReel
08-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Wh-why little cubes and tea...?

Heh, LOLCAT.

teg
08-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Who's Ms. Paint?Ryan North made a bunch of twitter posts about how all webcomics will end with the reveal of their title phrase (like the ending to The Dark Knight). They got increasingly implausable, culminating with him telling Andrew Hussie to introduce a character named Ms. Paint who's constantly having adventures. Immediately afterward, a female Skaian holding a can of paint and a brush showed up int the background of the comic.

Disposable Ninja
08-26-2010, 09:39 PM
So, wait, does that the T-Rex's name is actually... Dinosaur Comic?

_L_
08-26-2010, 10:15 PM
ryanqnorth I just saw Iron Man 2 and it didn't end with "Well, I guess you can really say that he was... an iron man." #wtf
about 5 hours ago via TweetDeck
ryanqnorth I stole that joke from @birdlord and @sountoward, who are going to end their comic with "I guess it really was... a softer world."
about 4 hours ago via TweetDeck
ryanqnorth And from @malki who is going to end his strip with "Is this REALLY the end? I wonder, Mark."
ryanqnorth And from @jephjacques whose strip ends with Marten saying "After sexing everyone, I'm finally content. But... it's a questionable content."

ryanqnorth @andrewhussie I will pay you $5 to introduce a character named "Ms. Paint". Put her in the bg a few times always doing interesting things

_L_
08-26-2010, 10:17 PM
http://bandcamp.com/files/39/54/3954683073-1.jpg

This is extremely silly! (http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/album/squiddles)

PapillonReel
08-26-2010, 10:29 PM
I just had a friendship aneurism.

EDIT: Oh my God, there's even a full-length animation in there. Oh wow.

Healy
08-27-2010, 04:45 AM
I just had a friendship aneurism.

EDIT: Oh my God, there's even a full-length animation in there. Oh wow.

I'd be interested in hearing the deets on this. Is it like a lost episode of Squiddles?

Alex Scott
08-27-2010, 04:58 AM
Ryan North made a bunch of twitter posts about how all webcomics will end with the reveal of their title phrase (like the ending to The Dark Knight). They got increasingly implausable, culminating with him telling Andrew Hussie to introduce a character named Ms. Paint who's constantly having adventures. Immediately afterward, a female Skaian holding a can of paint and a brush showed up int the background of the comic.
Wait, so does this mean that Gunnerkrigg Court has basically been one big, convoluted epilogue?

teg
08-27-2010, 08:12 AM
oh my goodness I just got the joke behind "little cubes"

Patrick
08-27-2010, 09:23 AM
oh my goodness I just got the joke behind "little cubes"

Is there something beyond them being sugar cubes?

Bongo Bill
08-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Is there something beyond them being sugar cubes?

You probably don't want to know it. First letters of the place's name.

Reinforcements
08-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Oh my goooooood

Walliard
08-27-2010, 11:51 AM

mind=blown

Healy
08-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Oh god I love the new Squiddles album so much.

"Where are the unicorns today, mommy?
Where are the unicorns?"

Brickroad
08-27-2010, 03:27 PM
I think... I think an entire Squiddles album is a little much.

Healy
08-27-2010, 03:47 PM
I think... I think an entire Squiddles album is a little much.

No way, it's totes the best cephalopod related musical endeavor since "Octopus's Garden."

PapillonReel
08-27-2010, 05:16 PM
I'd be interested in hearing the deets on this. Is it like a lost episode of Squiddles?

It's more like the animations from MSPA itself, about the same length as the first track on the album. It's really amazing and almost sickeningly saccharine (but in a good way!).

Lot of really funny jokes too, but I'll leave it to you guys to download and watch it. :P

Squiddle dah dee, Squiddle dee dah~♪

Everyone sing a Squiddly song~♪

shawn struck
08-29-2010, 12:21 AM
It really doesn't get better, trollwise, than anytime Karkat gets up a good head of seething fury.

"HEY FORGET THE BAN BUTTON, USE YOUR MIND POWERS TO HELP ME LOCATE THE DESPERATELY ATTEMPT TO GIVE A SHIT BUTTON. WHOOPS WE BOTH FAILED, IT DOESN'T EXIST. "

Kylie
08-29-2010, 01:00 AM
It really doesn't get better, trollwise, than anytime Karkat gets up a good head of seething fury.

aT blocking Dave is still my favorite thing. But when Karkat gets going, damn, it's impressive.

shawn struck
08-29-2010, 02:04 AM
I just realized something. Jade has one of Doc Scratch's Magic Cue Balls!

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002705

Mewd
08-29-2010, 04:19 AM
Yeah. It was a throwback. Andrew Hussie is kind of insane about taking some small joke from a thousand pages back and referencing or expounding on them.

It's also staggering how he keeps perfect track of all these tiny details when this story can get preposterously convoluted sometimes.

Bongo Bill
08-29-2010, 04:23 AM
YOU KISS THAT GIRL THIS INSTANT. (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/extras/ps000026.html)

BEAT
08-29-2010, 07:58 AM
No way, it's totes the best cephalopod related musical endeavor since "Octopus's Garden."Octopus Prime's EP is out?!

Merus
08-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Octopus Prime's EP is out?!
Yeah, but it was terrible, I'm sorry dude, someone had to say it. I know you were trying to be avant-garde and all but saying "seaweed" in a flat monotone while you play varying atonal sounds for twenty minutes is not really effective as a piece of music. Certainly, it did touch me in a very primal place, but that place was the threat centre.

PapillonReel
08-29-2010, 07:53 PM

He should followw Gamzee's advice and drink a bevverage.

(Goddamn, I love it when Karkat gets his frothing rage on, and with these memos open to all of the trolls (all of them), he's got all the opportunity he needs to let loose. The multi-user chats are fantastic - I can't wait to see if we get to see the kids try it out later on.)

Captain Keene
08-29-2010, 08:00 PM
He should followw Gamzee's advice and drink a bevverage.

(Goddamn, I love it when Karkat gets his frothing rage on, and with these memos open to all of the trolls (all of them), he's got all the opportunity he needs to let loose. The multi-user chats are fantastic - I can't wait to see if we get to see the kids try it out later on.)

I'm not sure if anything can top Karkat banning his future self.

And then his future self coming back and banning him.

Walliard
08-31-2010, 08:55 PM
FCG: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING OVER THERE ANYWAY?
CGA: You Mean Future Me
FCG: YEAH.
FCG: YOU'RE MESSING AROUND WITH YOUR CHAINSAW.
FCG: WHILE TAVROS IS SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR.
FCG: OH GOD.
FCG: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK WHAT ARE YOU DOING???????
CGA: What
CGA: What Did I Do

ravinoff
08-31-2010, 09:00 PM
I rather liked:

FCG: TOO BAD IT WAS ALL A HUGE WASTE OF TIME.
FCG: OH, WHAT'S THAT, PASTHOLE? YOU DIDN'T READ THIS AND FIGURE THAT OUT AHEAD OF TIME?

Pasthole, heh.

That whole memo is pretty great though. One of Karkat's better rants, especially since so much if it was ranting at his past self.

PapillonReel
08-31-2010, 09:31 PM
I think what's really striking is just how drained Karkat sounds in that last memo. You can really see just how much things have (or will?) taken a toll on him the past few weeks, especially at the end of his initial rant when he starts reminiscing about the way things used to be before the game. Poor guy. :(

Kanaya seems to have a lot of thinking of her own to do, as well. I kinda hope we get to see her private chat with Karkat sometime soon.

Bongo Bill
08-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Karkat getting tired of being angry all the time means he might show up less when we get back to the kids.

NO I WILL NOT DROP THIS

NOT UNTIL WE GET MORE THAN TWO PAGES OF ROSE BEATING UP AGENTS

Walliard
09-01-2010, 12:03 AM
This...

This does not look pleasant.

PapillonReel
09-01-2010, 06:46 PM
This...

This looks awesome.

Dragon wings omg...

Brickroad
09-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I think what's really striking is just how drained Karkat sounds in that last memo.

I was too drained to even read it. These chatlogs are a crutch I'd wish Homestuck would quit leaning on.

Come on Hussie. Remember Problem Sleuth? Less tell, more show.

ravinoff
09-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I like how everything related to flight has flames painted on.

ravinoff
09-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Less tell, more show.

Dialogue (and I would classify a chat log as dialogue) is generally considered more to be show, not tell in the works on writing and literary criticism I've read.

Brickroad
09-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Dialogue (and I would classify a chat log as dialogue) is generally considered more to be show, not tell in the works on writing and literary criticism I've read.

Literary criticism is retarded, then. This particular comic works better as silly pictures, short captions and expressive characters. Screens and screens of dialogue just doesn't fit as well.

Nodal
09-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Literary criticism is retarded, then. This particular comic works better as silly pictures, short captions and expressive characters. Screens and screens of dialogue just doesn't fit as well.

For once I have to agree with literary criticism! The dialogue helps describe how the characters feel and think without flat-out saying so and I like it just as much as the other stuff he does in MSPA.

Adrenaline
09-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Dialogue is totally telling. What the hell?

PapillonReel
09-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I think the chatlogs are fine, personally. They add another dimension of characterization to the kids and trolls by given them a direct means to voice themselves to the audience. It's the fact that they're getting long and unwieldy that's the problem here, since it makes it such a barrier to read through them all at once. Plus they carry a lot of exposition too, which doesn't help much either for anyone who just wants the story to move forward.

And this is from someone who liked the latest update! Really though, separate that chat with Karkat and Kanaya into three or four logs (like with the Aradia / Equius convo) and it would've been much easier to parse.

EDIT: PSSWOOOP

ravinoff
09-01-2010, 08:59 PM
You know what, I should modify my statement. Good dialogue is usually show, badly written dialogue is sometimes tell.

Bad generic simplistic example:

Character says something that lets you infer from this that character is agitated and at their wits end = show

Characters says "I'm agitated and at my wits end, I don't know what to do!" = tell

Edit: If all dialogue is tell then outside of the small amount of stage direction Shakespearean plays on paper everything is tell. This is not true.

Edit2: But a character spouting an infodump would almost always be tell. I like Neal Stephenson but he is guilty of that all the time.

Adrenaline
09-01-2010, 09:26 PM
That's what I'm getting at. It's partly based on how well the dialogue is written and partly based on the nature of the information it's getting across.

Pesterlogs are straight up telling at this point.

Bongo Bill
09-01-2010, 10:16 PM
All pesterlogs not involving Dave are too long.

Walliard
09-01-2010, 11:27 PM
So all but two of the red team are outfitted with rocket equipment now.

It's a shame PCHAINSAW is one letter too long.

shawn struck
09-02-2010, 01:59 AM
Best. Fan Narration. EVER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZREZ9GiHXw).

Brickroad
09-02-2010, 05:38 AM
The few slides of ghostgirl realizing her new robot body had been programmed to love strongguy, which causes her to rip her own heart out and then grab him for a violent and passionate kiss did far more to develop both characters than pages and pages and pages of pesterlogs.

Also, the fact that I've been skipping every pesterlog since about halfway through the troll arc and have still been able to pretty much follow the story (inasmuch as you can follow MSPA) is not exactly an endorsement of how important the pesterlogs are to the story.

So yeah. I want more expressive slides and fewer "press PgDn six times" infodumps that boil down to two trolls calling each other cocknozzles.

Patrick
09-02-2010, 07:30 AM
I like how everything related to flight has flames painted on.

That's probably because they all started out as that one pair of rocket shoes.

Anyway, I like the pesterlogs. I thought the long series of images leading up to Eridan killing the whale was way more drawn out than Karkat's rants. I just think that his crazy breakdown is funny in and of itself, and doesn't need to justify itself beyond that.

Olli T
09-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Chatlogs are fine if you know who's talking (not always obvious) and if the amount of l33tsp34k is limited. It's always good if there are some sick burns, too.

Mewd
09-02-2010, 12:43 PM
The chatlogs are occasionally too indulgent but I do think they add something special to Homestuck the majority of the time. I just like Hussie's style of dialogue (apart from the need to read around typing quirks with the trolls) and even though it's not STRICTLY necessary a lot of the time, there are so many little subtle throwbacks and meta jokes and just funny dialogue in general for me to really begrudge at all.

The recent super long one I actually like quite a bit. Yes it goes on forever and it's mostly Karkat bickering with himself, but I find it hilarious that they have this trans-dimensional time continuum memo system and they squander it in pretty much the fashion that you'd expect people on the Internet to. It shows us why the trolls, in spite of having this technology, couldn't really prevent the diverse awful things that are going to happen to them and also establishes the motive to troll other players. Could this have been done more eloquently? Probably, but I still enjoyed it for what it was.

Also you you gotta admit that being your own trans-time-continium kisemis is kinda funny.

Walliard
09-02-2010, 08:57 PM
All the ships.

All of them.

ravinoff
09-02-2010, 09:54 PM
GC: K4RK4T, H3S 4 J3RK!
GC: H3 H4S ST4BB3D YOU ON MOR3 TH4N ON3 OCC4S1ON!
CG: SOME OF THOSE STABBINGS WERE ACCIDENTAL!

Heh

PapillonReel
09-03-2010, 01:27 AM
And then: PUASE.. ... ,

But seriously, Karkat's and Terezi's chat made me aww out loud.

shawn struck
09-03-2010, 04:14 AM
Yeah, I d'awwwed out loud too.

This series has been full of lots of real sentiment and emotion which has been surprising but also pretty neat. And tons of aha! moments that sort of make the emotions resonate a little more.

Like, it hit me this morning: John always complained about all the doting Dad did, and all the notes saying how proud he was of John. Now, think of what John had scribbled all over the walls.

Spikey
09-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Trollflash is live! Allow me to be the first to say: Holy Shit.

Adrenaline
09-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Yeah, that was pretty neat.

Patrick
09-08-2010, 11:48 AM
I kind of get annoyed with the changing art style. I liked a lot of it though.

PapillonReel
09-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Holy shit, he updated while I was at work today. And not during the five days I had off this weekend, grumble grumble.

First thought that comes to mind is I guess Aradia's not 0k with it anymore. Wonder how Tavros and Terezi will handle it though? Also, guess there's a bit of bad blood between Sollux and Eridan if that beam war was any indication.

Disposable Ninja
09-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I get the feeling that Terezi was going to welcome Vriska to Prospit with a slap, regardless of any wrong-doing or bad blood between them. Terezi didn't slap Vriska because out of spite or anger, she did it because she's Terezi, the blind girl that licks red chalk.

Walliard
09-08-2010, 03:35 PM
-Trollflash on my birthday. :D

-Andrew never said that the flash would be the EoA5, just that both were coming up soon. So I'm 0k with it not resolving everything, especially since we got closure on the Team Charge/Team Scourge debacle.

-Sollux ♠ Eridan. Definitely.

-Lastly, I heartily approve of Jack's plain and serviceable combat style.

Ruik
09-08-2010, 04:11 PM
http://images.damncrows.com/img/upld/rick-james-charlie-murphy.gif

PapillonReel
09-08-2010, 05:00 PM
-Trollflash on my birthday. :D

Happy birthday! Lucky bastard.

I think I've watched the trollflash around ten times now. It's really awesome seeing the trolls break loose and kick ass, and the music! So awesome.

Brickroad
09-08-2010, 05:37 PM
My favorite little moment is Nepeta crashing onto Equius after he killsteals the ogre she was pouncing on.

I thought she was trying to glomp him.

I hate that I kinda know what "glomp" means.

Walliard
09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Happy birthday! Lucky bastard.

I even had a call back of sorts in real life today:

Trollflash! Could your birthday get any better? You think not!

Professorlog: "You don't have to buy the expensive textbook for this course if you don't want to."

You thought wrong.

BEAT
09-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I hate that I kinda know what "glomp" means.We all kinda hate that fact.

That video was pretty neat, but I went in expecting the epic end to the whole troll saga, and I didn't get it.

Oh, also I read all of problem sleuth over the three-day weekend.

It was awesome.

Walliard
09-09-2010, 12:56 AM
Hey, look who it is.

PapillonReel
09-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey, look who it is.

So classy.

Welp, I'm off to reread the archives again; gotta pass the time 'til Wednesday somehow. I'd take a stab at where the plot's heading, but odds are I'll just be as hilariously wrong as usual.

Walliard
09-10-2010, 08:10 PM
I'd take a stab at where the plot's heading, but odds are I'll just be as hilariously wrong as usual.

Let's see here. Things Act 5 still needs to wrap up, time permitting:

-Gamzee's title.
-Eridan's Land and title. The latter will probably be shown in the context of his fight with Sollux, the former as either a flashback or when Equius/Nepeta show up.
-The second half of Kanaya's Land, and the purpose of the Forge. May be used to transition back to the kids via Jade.
-The trolls learning of the kids' game and contacting them. May also be a transition.
-Where/when Aradia has/will be/will have been time-jumping to. Probably not important, I just think it's notable that she has about a month's worth of points she could be at before/after the Vriska beatdown.
-How the remaining troll dreamselves die, and how Sollux goes blind.
-Vriska and Tavros reconciling. May be left to the shippers, who knows?
-Operation Frodo and Jack's exiling.

Stuff that likely won't be exposited until later:

-The nature of the Rift.
-Doc Scratch's origins.
-Droog's ulterior motives, assuming he has any (which I think he does; anyone that classy has a keikaku or two up his sleeve).

Walliard
09-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Keep in mind that this isn't actually Act 5. This is the intermission before Act 5. Which is kind of dizzying to think about in a "I told you that story so I could tell you this one..." way.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003889

Walliard
09-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Also, some food for thought:

The pattern established for exiles so far would indicate that Droog is currently inside a giant mechanical kitten.

PapillonReel
09-11-2010, 03:30 AM
Son of a gun. Yeah, I guess if this was an intermission, all the commands would have had that [I] prefacing them. Still, I think I remember Hussie saying somewhere that Act 5 wouldn't end with the finish of Hivebent, and that the kids are going to get some screen time this act too.

Post-hivebent: a 6-month Squiddles intermission.

Walliard
09-11-2010, 01:07 PM
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/254/d/d/nepeta_pounce_dave_by_hypermetalix-d2yh7mb.gif

locit
09-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Post-hivebent: a 6-month Squiddles intermission.
He'd do it, too.
(no he wouldn't.)
(I guess I'm back now.)
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/254/d/d/nepeta_pounce_dave_by_hypermetalix-d2yh7mb.gif
Squeeeee.

Disposable Ninja
09-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Yeah, speaking of Droog, I think I'm going to have to go back and reread the Midnight Crew intermission. I never really payed much attention to the guy in the past, but more and more it seems like Droog is the single most scariest person in the Homestuck universe. Snowman and Doc Scratch might be godlike, and maybe Jack Noir is an omnicidal badass, but Droog seems to be playing his own game, and anyone who gets in his way will probably end up a bloody corpse, regardless of whoever it is.

Bongo Bill
09-11-2010, 09:38 PM
During the Midnight Crew intermission, Droog was definitely the subtle one of the four. Plays with his cards close to his chest, doesn't go for unnecessary force, doesn't seem to reveal any grudges he may hold. Keeps his head down; just seems to be going along with Slick's plan. Looks down on the others.

locit
09-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Man, guys, do I need to go back and really read the Midnight Crew intermission now? I just sort of skipped over it because it was so not related to the rest of the Homestuck story. Now it turns out, increasingly, that it really is. Like, a lot.

>:[

PapillonReel
09-12-2010, 07:33 AM
It's not really that tough of a read though, the intermission's not that long. It's, like, only a third of the size of Hivebent. >:?

POUNCEGREET

Hahaha, oh man. Now I really want the troll's and kid's sessions to mix at some point.

Walliard
09-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Hahaha, oh man. Now I really want the troll's and kid's sessions to mix at some point.

It'll be really amusing if they mistake the kids' text colors for their blood colors. Like that one pesterlog someone wrote of Equius getting really flustered around Rose.

PapillonReel
09-12-2010, 10:57 AM
It'll be really amusing if they mistake the kids' text colors for their blood colors. Like that one pesterlog someone wrote of Equius getting really flustered around Rose.

Oh hey, I remember that one. It... really was something:

-- centaursTesticle [CT] began trolling tentacleTherapist [TT] at 5:35 --

CT: D --> I've been told by my accomplices that it would better serve our goals if I talked to you
CT: D --> Instead of watching you all day
CT: D --> However, I find this highly uncomfortable
TT: This is certainly a new approach.
TT: My compliments; you almost sound competent.
CT: D --> Yes
CT: D --> That is good
CT: D --> This is how I hoped talking to you would be like
CT: D --> But it is making me sweat
TT: That's an odd way to continue trolling me.
CT: D --> It would be reprehensible for one of my status to troll you
CT: D --> I don't even want to talk to you
CT: D --> For one of my inferior b100d to hold discourse with e%quisite b100d like you
CT: D --> It is a dishonor to your purity
TT: Well, I'd certainly rate myself higher than a troll.
TT: But excuse me for thinking that I'm somewhat more humble than you make me out as.
CT: D --> No
CT: D --> This will not do
CT: D --> You will act your class
CT: D --> If you want that is
CT: D --> I'm sorry, the absolute perfe%tion of your b100d is making me dizzy
CT: D --> And to see you nervous like this makes me angry
TT: I'm not nervous.
CT: D --> Lies
CT: D --> I can see you in your observatory, your beautiful b100d is shaking right now
CT: D --> It's disgusting
TT: How do you know I'm in an observatory?
TT: Or that I even have one?
CT: D --> I like to stare at you
CT: D --> I've been doing it for wee%
CT: D --> You're very attractive for a human
TT: Isn't it strange for an alien to think that?
TT: That is what you are, right?
TT: All of you trolls always emphasize that we're humans.
TT: It's silly honestly.
CT: D --> What is your skin like
TT: Excuse me?
CT: D --> Is it soft
TT: You've done a good job trolling me. You can stop now.
CT: D --> I haven't been trolling you
CT: D --> Stop 100king behind your shoulder
CT: D --> You won't be able to 100k at me
TT: I see.
CT: D --> Do you bruise easily
TT: ...
CT: D --> I apologize for stepping out of line
CT: D --> It is incorrect
CT: D --> You should punish me
CT: D --> I am simply curious whether you would bruise and break if I touched you
TT: What?
CT: D --> Most of the time I bruise whoever I touch
CT: D --> I am too strong
CT: D --> Surely radiant b100d purity such as you could withstand my touch

-- tentacleTherapist [TT] blocked centaursTesticle [CT] at 5:55 --

CT: D --> I need a towel

D: D: D:

Alex Scott
09-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Man, guys, do I need to go back and really read the Midnight Crew intermission now? I just sort of skipped over it because it was so not related to the rest of the Homestuck story. Now it turns out, increasingly, that it really is. Like, a lot.

>:[It's pretty much the Tales of the Black Freighter of Homestuck.

Which means that now I've compared Homestuck to Watchmen.

Walliard
09-13-2010, 01:39 AM
CT: D --> You will act your class
CT: D --> If you want that is

Equius in a nutshell.

Falselogic
09-16-2010, 09:58 AM
I finished Problem Sleuth the other day and I have to say I had a lot of fun with it. Are the other things as random/funny as PS?

Mewd
09-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Home Stuck is a lot dryer with its humor, focusing more on storyline and characters than any of the previous stuff. But if you want more wacky shenanigans, Bard's Quest and Prison Break are both good.

Nodal
09-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Hmm. I think I need this bit of the Memo of Revelations explained to me:

What's the distinction between experiencing the effects and experiencing the consequences? Is she saying what the kids did didn't cause anything bad to happen in Sburb, but the Sgrub session got fucked at the last minute?

I think summoning a scratch has benefits for the group that does it, but consequences for the people they connect to.

poetfox
09-17-2010, 09:49 PM
I was reading it as the scratch shouldn't have done anything to the trolls, but it pissed something off, this other evil the Trolls can't defeat, and this god struck out to everywhere, not just to John and Company, which just happened to be, unluckily, at the very moment of victory for the Hivebent crew.

shawn struck
09-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Holy crap. This latest update puts Karkat's line about "WHO'S YOUR DADDY? IT'S US, BITCHES" into perspective.

Bongo Bill
09-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I was so relieved when I saw the update start with "==>" instead of "======>" but I know I shouldn't have been. Because this is just another fakeout and tomorrow is going to be the first of forty more days of Karkat yelling at things.

I am what they call a pessimist.

locit
09-18-2010, 04:50 PM
I was so relieved when I saw the update start with "==>" instead of "======>" but I know I shouldn't have been. Because this is just another fakeout and tomorrow is going to be the first of forty more days of Karkat yelling at things.

I am what they call a pessimist.
I could live with that. I really could.

PapillonReel
09-18-2010, 05:08 PM
So the trolls created the Squiddles universe. Hmmmmm............

I think I get the gist of what Sburb/Sgrub's about now though. The game challenges and tests each player's ability to build around and up towards a goal (Skaia), pitting them against hordes of monsters and double mobius reach-around loops across planets in order to see if they're worthy of crafting the ultimate prize - their own universe. Of course, in a burst of irony said universe then ends up being the cause of their own predicament at this point, as the beings playing in a session that came from there ultimately bar the trolls from entering it. And since this happened by locking them into their session with Lord English (or, possibly, an English-fied Jack Noir?), who is functionally unstoppable... Man, no wonder Karkat and the other trolls are pissed. :\

Alex Scott
09-18-2010, 09:04 PM
So wait, does that mean the Session's a way to perpetuate existence by continually creating new universes ahead of Lord English's advance?

Spikey
09-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Troll Hatelove truly is a beautiful thing.

Brickroad
09-19-2010, 06:10 PM
oh god oh god

I haven't had time to actually watch [S] ACT 5 ACT 2 yet, but god damn I hope it's a fake-out.

Come on, double-psych combo!

locit
09-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I haven't had time to actually watch [S] ACT 5 ACT 2 yet, but god damn I hope it's a fake-out.
If the past few bajillion pages of Homestuck have taught me anything, it's watch, then react.

I've been making my way through Andrew Hussie's (ludicrously long) formspring (http://www.formspring.me/andrewhussie) Q&A, and his responses give some great insight into why he does what he does. Others are quite silly! And a few of them, like the one below, strike me as coming from the mind of a deep thinker:
when did you realize that you are funny?
This is a really odd question. I'll accept the premise for a moment, and start rambling. 

I think I actually remember when I realized I WASN'T funny. It was a really long time ago, maybe when I was in high school. And I drew some dumb bullshit comics of some vaguely humorous nature and assumed they were objectively funny because they were meant to be. They were "funnies". And those are automatically funny.

But then a little later I took a look at those comics. One series was about a singing snail, and I guess there were some others. And I thought, "Holy shit, this isn't funny at all. What was I thinking?" And then later, gradually, I put a more concerted effort into understanding what is funny. I think it was a pretty slow climb. It was also a gradual process of becoming less of a dumbass. Dumbasses think stupid shit is funny, and that can be a major handicap.

The biggest key to being funny is to not be a dumbass. Really stupid people have a hard time being funny (intentionally). The smarter you are, the better the odds you have of being funny. Note that sometimes you run into really smart people who aren't funny, or lack a sense of humor. But note, this is VERY STRONG evidence that they are not nearly as smart as they appear to be! In my view at least.

When I equate humor as a product of intelligence, I mean it is primarily a product of awareness. The more you are aware of, and the more insight you have into a myriad of things, the more you will be able to successfully illuminate absurdity, and the more clever ways to accomplish this you will be able to conceive of. Awareness lends itself to an agile imagination. This is why stupidity is such comedic poison. Awareness of the world and that from which you draw your satirical muse is deadened by the mind-blunting forces that are associated with stupidity. These forces primarily are a lack of concentration and dedication, and inalertness to all that surrounds you and all content you are exposed to. As well as being quick to judge and label whatever does manage to get through the pinhole. Those are brain killers and comedy killers. They lead to hackneyed work at best, and incredibly awful, prejudicial, bigoted stuff at worst.

Now I don't mean to say I'm a real smart guy and that's why I'm funny, or EVEN VICE VERSA. I'm just pointing out that, in thinking back, becoming less obtuse and deepening my understanding of as much as possible was a turning point in beginning to understand what is and isn't funny.

Bongo Bill
09-19-2010, 09:36 PM
oh god oh god

Come on, double-psych combo!

Part 2 is going to focus on the kids.

He had me fooled for a while, but he mentions this on his Formspring page.

Ruik
09-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Oh my, cross-universe Kimesis is a beautiful thing.

Spikey
09-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Oh my, cross-universe Kimesis is a beautiful thing.

But now he's gone and made it all awkward.