PDA

View Full Version : I wanna cast Magic Missile! (Let's play paper RPGs guys!)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Googleshng
09-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Remember back when D&D3 first came out and nerds were just pouring out of the woodwork to play it over IRC with die roller bots, and setting up stuff like the d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) and sometimes even dabbling with weird obscure systems nobody's heard of. Whatever happened to that? These days I'm in a stable saturday game with some old online friends, and my main wad of offline friends gets together once in a blue moon to try and schedule a campaign of something around work and kids, but otherwise I can't for the life of me find a group of half a dozen people to sit around for a four hour stretch once a week to roll dice, do math and detailed bookkeeping, and make horrible puns.

It's particularly annoying that interest levels in general seem to have died off for this since these days we have online character sheet managers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=39542), decent multiplatform freeware die-roller/chat/map applications (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads#MapTool), and voice-chat conferencing (http://www.skype.com/) to make things easier to deal with.

So... are there still thriving wads of nerds doing the whole internet roleplaying thing I'm just not aware of? Am I just some crazy old dinosaur? Are there enough other crazy old dinosaurs around here to start up some regular gaming group? For that matter are there better play-aids than what I mentioned out there? Or handy SRD type resources for things besides D&D? (Well and Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/), but that still counts as D&D in my book.)

Walliard
09-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I've always liked D&D mechanics and making characters (both 3.5 and 4e, what a twist!), but I lack the creativity to DM, and previous online attempts have all failed for various reasons.

But I'd definitely be interested if we could drum up enough players.

Crested Penguin
09-06-2010, 07:33 PM
I am up to my neck in online D&D campaigns right now so it probably would be bad for my sanity to join another, but I can probably answer a lot of questions about maptool, which is a great piece of software that is really hard to get used to. It's also very customizable using different frameworks to make it play better with specific rulesets.

All that said I'm good with one-shots and miniseries, but I generally keep to the systems I really like, ie: D&D4, Mouse Guard, Feng Shui. I've always wanted to run a game of Polaris but I feel like the limitations of voice chat might make that not work very well.

Nodal
09-06-2010, 07:39 PM
I would really like to give a D&D 4e online campaign a shot. Really really really like.

cortbassist89
09-06-2010, 07:43 PM
What Nodal said.

Brer
09-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm one of those RPG geeks that spends far more time collecting sourcebooks and absorbing "lore" than actually playing, if only because I love good world-building and finding good groups is always tricky.

Still, there are quite a few systems I'd love to crack open if the opportunity presented itself. Stuff like Blue Planet, Fading Suns, Deadlands...Hell, just the other day I was rereading Fading Suns' sourcebooks and marvelling at how intriguing a setting it made, and how much I liked the simplicity and flexibility of a WoD-esque "stat + skill = dice pool, successes = degree of success/failure" system.

Edit: Wow, after some internet searching, one company (Red Brick) owns the publishing rights for Earthdawn, Blue Planet, Fading Suns....it's like the Graveyard of Great Games No One Actually Played.

Dadgum Roi
09-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I've always wanted to play pen and paper RPGs. My mom wouldn't let me as a kid, and all of the RPG players at the local game stores are so loud, I can't stand to be in there for more than a few minutes.

:(

Rosencrantz
09-06-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm one of those RPG geeks that spends far more time collecting sourcebooks and absorbing "lore" than actually playing, if only because I love good world-building and finding good groups is always tricky.

Wow, same here. I love making characters for no good reason, too. I had a really fun group going with two of my oldest friends, but a year or so ago it got really hard to meet up on a regular basis, so the game fell apart. I've tried playing online a couple of times, but real life got in the way each time and I had to stop. (Funny how I can find lots of free time to play games, but as soon as I schedule something on a regular basis, it becomes impossible to do.)

Lucas
09-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm playing a game over gchat right now! I would be willing to add a non-Friday-night game to my itinerary - we have a lot of games going, but we just switch off who's running game night each week.

I also just got some seven RPG manuals this weekend. Aces and Eights certainly looks to be the most unique of them, though.

teekun
09-06-2010, 09:26 PM

I was this guy when I was a kid. I had a full set of AD&D 2nd Edition hardcovers, but only ever used them to play a game one time. I couldn't ever find enough people who wanted to play enough for it to be worthwhile.

Played a few classic D&D games before that, but it wasn't much to talk about. Just some runs through the B1+2 modules, I think.

Googleshng
09-07-2010, 02:52 AM
I've always liked D&D mechanics and making characters (both 3.5 and 4e, what a twist!), but I lack the creativity to DM, and previous online attempts have all failed for various reasons.

But I'd definitely be interested if we could drum up enough players.

I would really like to give a D&D 4e online campaign a shot. Really really really like.

What Nodal said.

It bugs me how I STILL haven't managed to give D&D4 a decent shake on its own terms. I mean, I've been in a couple aborted attempts at getting a game going, but every time the GM was running it like a D&D3 game (lots of time spent in towns and wilderness travel, never more than one battle in a given day) which is REALLY not how it was designed to be played.

So yeah. I suppose since I started the topic I'm kinda obligated to volunteer to DM something. Would people generally dig and be able to reasonably commit to a regular D&D4 game? I've had this mildly wacky notion for a while of doing this whole violent injection of magic into a mundane medieval setting sorta thing, where random mazey dungeons just start spontaneously ripping open and growing in the middle of corn fields and monsters start pouring out, with the PCs being random hicks lucking out by getting transformed into, well, the PCs, in a lucky fluke of a side effect, generally getting stuck dungeon crawling to take out the sources of these things to protect all the random townsfolk since they're stuck with realistic wimpy stats and none of that magical "healing surge" weirdness.

I'm thinking, run it over maptool, maybe support that with skype since in my experience being able to actually SAY "OK, X is up" increases general attentiveness and game cohesion a thousandfold or so. And just pulling a regular time off the top of my head, maybe... 8PM-midnight Eastern on Frid-

I'm playing a game over gchat right now! I would be willing to add a non-Friday-night game to my itinerary

Er... on Wednesday nights? Or whatever other arbitrary fixed time would work for those who want in on it. I'm pretty frelling flexible as long as I'm not breaking from my crazy sun-hating sleep schedule or overlapping the saturday evening game I'm already in. I'd rather play the schedule overlap game via PMs or something though after getting a basic gist of whether enough people would be down for it.

And you know, while I'm in the spirit of tossing vague ideas around, I'm also down for attempting to run some sorta game of my source of shame and pride (although it's not especially suited to a continuous campaign), or play anything anyone else feels like running. I have a particular itch at the moment to play with those new Pathfinder classes/get some use out of this pseudo-pacifist Shadowrun character concept/experience the horror that is Maid/actually get to use the over-the-top VoP monk or Half-Orc Paladin Princess I made for D&D3 games that fizzled before playing a single session.

... OK, I technically never had a DM APPROVE of me playing a Half-Orc Paladin Princess, mainly due to that "Princess" part, but you have to admit any campaign where that's a character option you could rationalize would have to be pretty awesome.

But uh, yeah. Anyway. D&D4. Shall I attempt to run it?

Walliard
09-07-2010, 03:01 AM
I'm good from 3PM-Midnight on weekdays, anytime weekends(Pacific).

Nodal
09-07-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm good after 10 on Mon-Wed, and then anytime in the evening other days. (All EST)

Lucas
09-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Thursday night would be best for me, I think. If we're playing 4E (which I'll vote for) I call dibs on being the half-orc rogue (killin' spec, not sneakin').

experience the horror that is Maid

AHAHAHA

Nothing quite like a bunch of grown men pretending to be teenage girls kowtowing to a tween master. (This is an actual ongoing game my group plays. The game of Maid I occasionally run is even weirder.)

Destil
09-07-2010, 01:08 PM
I may actually be interested in trying this. I run 4E once a week but I never get a chance to play. Depends on a number of things, though (time being a big one).

Traumadore
09-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Yeah, it's really hard to get together enough people for enough time online. I also find it really difficult because my fiancee feels like I'm somehow doing something wrong by playing D&D on the computer because I'm in the same space and ignoring her. Even though I've had a pretty consistent game in person for...years now? I can get away with it because I'm in a different place I guess.

Wish I could :(

Nodal
09-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm just posting to say the absolute BEST time for me would be Thursday evening-night.

Googleshng
09-07-2010, 05:27 PM
OK, so that's... Nodal, Lucas, Walliard all evidently totally down for Thursday night D&D4... I'm thinking... 8 eastern (5 pacific) as a start time? Maybe 9? Late enough to get stuff dealt with first, not so late as to potentially get into playing until dawn territory (not that that seems to necessarily be a problem for anyone involved). If at least one more person would be down for that then I guess I'll go refamiliarize myself with the rules, dash some notes out and try running something starting oh... next week?

BŁge
09-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I'd like to play, but I have no voice chat support.

Nodal
09-07-2010, 06:53 PM
What? Mics are like $5.

Walliard
09-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Someone has to be this (http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3853/1279043132335.jpg).

Googleshng
09-07-2010, 08:19 PM
... is that from an actual official sourcebook? Logic says that has to be a joke, but balance wise it actually looks pretty solid.

Oh, and as far as voice chat goes? Usually what I do with online games these days is- Everything in-game is properly typed out into the chat window of MapTool (or whatever), then there's a skype conference call in the background for general table chatter/OOC planning/generally reinforcing the notion that hey, we have a whole wad of people sitting around here playing a game so it's bad form to constantly be tabbing out, playing KoL or whatever, and checking back every few seconds to see if it's your turn yet. So... a player or two lacking a mic is only a problem in that you end up having to type responses to the weird comments people are making in the background.

They are crazy cheap though these days. I have a REALLY good USB mic here which I seriously bought off Amazon for 7 cents.

Lucas
09-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah, voice chat wasn't vital when we played before. Half of us talked and half of us used text chat to interact; we were all in on the Skype conference call, but we didn't need to actually talk on it.

On the other hand, without Skype we would have missed out on the singing gnome.

Walliard
09-07-2010, 11:48 PM
... is that from an actual official sourcebook? Logic says that has to be a joke, but balance wise it actually looks pretty solid.

No idea, a friend linked it to me. I hadn't been talking about D&D at all, so it was actually pretty serendipitous.

MetManMas
09-08-2010, 09:55 AM

I've totally been there before. I had at least a few hundred dollars of 2nd Edition stuff in high school (Dark Sun, Planescape, Forgotten Realms, etc.), but I stupidly traded it all away for some common Pokťmon cards I don't have anymore. >_<;

I hope the guy I gave it to got some use out of it, at least.

Knight
09-08-2010, 10:15 AM
OK, so that's... Nodal, Lucas, Walliard all evidently totally down for Thursday night D&D4... I'm thinking... 8 eastern (5 pacific) as a start time? Maybe 9? Late enough to get stuff dealt with first, not so late as to potentially get into playing until dawn territory (not that that seems to necessarily be a problem for anyone involved). If at least one more person would be down for that then I guess I'll go refamiliarize myself with the rules, dash some notes out and try running something starting oh... next week?
I'd like to give this a shot too, if there's room and you're willing to put up with someone who's never played D&D or any other paper RPGS. I'd also have to double check with my wife about the time first, but I don't forsee any problems.

shivam
09-08-2010, 11:55 AM
i play in two online pathfinder games right now, and played D&D 3.,5 before. i love internet gaming, but it's a different beast than tabletop.

Cyrael
09-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Can someone lurk?

Someone... like me?

Googleshng
09-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Well, D&D4's magic optimum PC count is 5, and so far there's... 3 other people who seem totally on board? 4 if BŁge there definitely wants in, 5 if Destil's maybe solidifies to yes, so... with you we're in the golden 4-6 player count range. So no problem there.

Lack of experience, also not really a problem. I'm pretty sure that the bulk of people who want in here want in because we haven't really gotten enough experience with 4e under our belts to have a strong opinion of it, so it's probably going to be a pretty learn-y game for the first few weeks anyway.

Only potential snag I see is that WotC are kinda being huge jerks and not throwing enough to create a character out on the internet for free for 4e, like everyone else who has ever released an RPG does. To my knowledge anyway. Possibly because it comes down to picking a few options out of hundreds of pages of lists. So you'd need to either get your hands on the PHB in some fashion, or have someone just kinda talk you through it and pass you a properly filled out sheet to get started/when you level up. Apparently there's also a limited demo of some crazy sorta software tool on WotC's site, but it seems geared more towards helping min-maxers totally twink out by collecting a bunch of weird optional stuff from magazine articles than something practical.

On a related note, I SHOULD have my act sufficiently together to toss some background info/setting specific character creation notes up on a page later tonight.

Oh- And just kinda lurking about and watching is totally cool by me. Only population limits I'm concerned with are that if we go with the whole skype-for-table-chatter bit I think there's a cap of like... 10 people? And if the actual player count ends up climbing up towards double digits someone else needs to put their GM hat on and split the load into a couple different campaigns, but that's a given.

namelessentity
09-08-2010, 01:10 PM
And I call myself a nerd, I had no idea DnD and the internet had a baby and it was awesome.

Oh- And just kinda lurking about and watching is totally cool by me. Only population limits I'm concerned with are that if we go with the whole skype-for-table-chatter bit I think there's a cap of like... 10 people? And if the actual player count ends up climbing up towards double digits someone else needs to put their GM hat on and split the load into a couple different campaigns, but that's a given.

Well, seeing as you are approaching cap, my schedule is crap, and I have little to no experience, I think I might try watching and learning the ropes

Kalir
09-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I would also like to participate in these times, playing if able but spectating if not. Utah is not exactly home to the tabletop gamings.

shivam
09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Utah is home to a LOT of tabletop, actually. Dragonlance was created by tracy hickman, who lives in utah, and i know a lot of mormon gamers from there.

but that's besides the point.

Kalir
09-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Maybe it's that I'm not Mormon, then. That tends to be a really alienating factor here.

Cyrael
09-08-2010, 01:43 PM
My wife and I are the only Mormons in our regular D&D game! What part of the state are you in?

Ruik
09-08-2010, 01:47 PM
I haven't played DnD since several years ago as 3.0 or 3.5, and I've been dying to play some recently. I even bought some dice at PAX the other day. You guys are looking pretty full and I'm not sure I can commit to a 4 hour block of time right when Helen is getting off work, but I'd like to put down a MAYBE for this and hope to be able to do it.

I love character building too, and have been using that demo program to make a few characters, my favorite of which is a lightning Gensai Swordmage with all lightning based special attacks and feats etc.

Destil
09-08-2010, 02:15 PM
I love character building too, and have been using that demo program to make a few characters, my favorite of which is a lightning Gensai Swordmage with all lightning based special attacks and feats etc.

I've got one of these in my Tuesday game. It's a reasonably good build, though I question some of his stat/power choices (really want to grab either Str or Con based powers, but he has a mix of both). He bounces between monsters a lot with his teleport powers and generally just makes life hard for my monsters.

I'd most likely play a hybrid swordmage/artificer... yeah, I like breaking systems (though it's not too overpowered a combo until paragon, and you can't really deal much damage with it).

Kalir
09-08-2010, 02:29 PM
My wife and I are the only Mormons in our regular D&D game! What part of the state are you in?

The eastern end of Salt Lake City. Sadly, I really don't have a way of traveling easy or any money right now, so even if I found a good group, gaming in person's kind of an impossibility.

Cyrael
09-08-2010, 02:36 PM
The eastern end of Salt Lake City. Sadly, I really don't have a way of traveling easy or any money right now, so even if I found a good group, gaming in person's kind of an impossibility.

Well, if you are ever interested, we are down in Utah County and play pretty regularly once a month. But even up in SLC I know there are a lot of groups, but no idea if they are good or not. It's a bit too far of a drive for me to get into a regular thing.

If you can get there, Hasturs (http://hasturgames.com/) is on State street. I've got a few gaming friends who say you can get into the community really easy there!

Edit: Also, sorry for derailing the thread, but I want to make sure all the locals can get their game fix too!

Phil
09-08-2010, 03:04 PM
So... are there still thriving wads of nerds doing the whole internet roleplaying thing I'm just not aware of? Am I just some crazy old dinosaur? Are there enough other crazy old dinosaurs around here to start up some regular gaming group? For that matter are there better play-aids than what I mentioned out there? Or handy SRD type resources for things besides D&D? (Well and Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/), but that still counts as D&D in my book.)

I've run a number of Basic D&D (Rules Cyclopedia)-based games online in nothing more complex than IRC with a dice-rolling bot. Old-school D&D lends itself well to text-only chat, because it doesn't have the grid-based movement aspects that became strong in 3/3.5/4e. It worked ... beautifully, to be honest. Particularly so considering the vast majority of my players have not had English as their native tongue.

Red Hedgehog
09-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Well, if you are ever interested, we are down in Utah County and play pretty regularly once a month. But even up in SLC I know there are a lot of groups, but no idea if they are good or not. It's a bit too far of a drive for me to get into a regular thing.

If you can get there, Hasturs (http://hasturgames.com/) is on State street. I've got a few gaming friends who say you can get into the community really easy there!

Edit: Also, sorry for derailing the thread, but I want to make sure all the locals can get their game fix too!

Hastur's is definitely something I miss about Salt Lake. It was a really great gaming store. But yeah, Utah is big into tabletop RPGs (and board games).

Destil
09-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I'd most likely play a hybrid swordmage/artificer... yeah, I like breaking systems (though it's not too overpowered a combo until paragon, and you can't really deal much damage with it).

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Athgar, level 1
Human, Artificer|Swordmage
Hybrid Artificer: Hybrid Artificer Will
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Shielding
Hybrid Talent: Swordmage Warding

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 19 Fort: 14 Reflex: 15 Will: 14
HP: 29 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +6, Thievery +5, Endurance +8, Arcana +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Heal +1, History +4, Insight +1, Intimidate -1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +4, Stealth, Streetwise -1, Athletics

FEATS
Human: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 1: Hybrid Talent

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Magic Weapon
Hybrid at-will 1: Luring Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Thundering Armor
Hybrid encounter 1: Scouring Weapon
Hybrid daily 1: Frost Backlash

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Bastard sword, Adventurer's Kit, Backpack (empty), Thieves' Tools

McClain
09-08-2010, 05:30 PM
I've always wanted to give D&D (or any tabletop) a try sometime, but I never had any friends growing up who played. If there's a (very patient) DM in the Atlanta area who would want to take me in, I'd be interested!

I'd want to try an in-person game before playing online, but maybe after I pop my cherry I'll try to get in on the online games.

Comb Stranger
09-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I'd be up for a Pathfinder game, though I don't have a functional mic. My headset literally fell apart right after I gave up WoW. I type much faster and clearer than I speak, anyway.

Ruik
09-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I've got one of these in my Tuesday game. It's a reasonably good build, though I question some of his stat/power choices (really want to grab either Str or Con based powers, but he has a mix of both). He bounces between monsters a lot with his teleport powers and generally just makes life hard for my monsters.

I typically default into min/maxing (and I'm sure I'll do so in many future characters), so it's fun to just choose a themed character I like and not worry that it's not the very best character possible.

I find it intriguing that pen and paper RPGs can provide a different, and equally rewarding experience for a purposefully "flawed" character; something that never happens in other types of games.

Then again, D&D is probably not the best system to provide that since it's so combat focused...

Kalir
09-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I have something of a soft spot for Risus, because it's easy to get started and you can more or less just make stuff up.

Googleshng
09-09-2010, 03:14 AM
As promised, here's a page of character creation/background stuff. (http://www.kekkai.org/google/dandifor/4ecampinfo.html) If you're definitely yon 4e game on thursdays, check that out, make some sorta character, let me know you made it. Should get things going next week if I get a solid head count soon enough to properly fiddle with monster counts. Don't think we're in danger of exceeding a reasonable ceiling on player count, so it's strictly a question of whether you have little enough going on in life that playing pretend games on the internet with reasonably consistent scheduling is something you're pretty confident about.

As for me, I TOTALLY have no life, so in addition to running this, if someone wants to pick some other afternoon/night type time block and run a game of Pathfinder or Deadlands or any of these other myriad games I have rules to stacked up about me, hey, count me in.

Lucas
09-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Sweet, I'll check that out and see if my rogue I made a while back matches up with it. Though I should check something with the group first: anyone mind if I'm a kill stealer?

It's been a while since I made this character so I've forgotten some of the details, but he was designed to do extreme amounts of damage to monsters that are already in combat. If anyone has a problem with the grimlock they're fighting suddenly sprouting a shuriken from the back of its head and collapsing, let me know; I'd be happy to go back to my old standby of Mr. Wednesday, dwarf star pact warlock or whip up a bard (which I'll also do if I can't figure out how to justify shurikens and the one or two splatbook feats my rogue has).

Also, Googleshng, are we going to keep track of ammo in this game, or would a quiver of arrows or stack of throwing knives be assumed to be enough to last through the adventure?

Edit: Alright, Morn the Half-Orc Rogue is partly up on that site. Turned out I'd already gotten rid of everything that wasn't in the first two PHBs.

Nodal
09-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm not gonna post it right now, but I call priest. I'll set it up tomorrow.

Googleshng
09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
It's been a while since I made this character so I've forgotten some of the details, but he was designed to do extreme amounts of damage to monsters that are already in combat.

So a rogue then. That's kinda what they're for and all.

Also, Googleshng, are we going to keep track of ammo in this game, or would a quiver of arrows or stack of throwing knives be assumed to be enough to last through the adventure?

Normally I'd say yes, just because I'm the sort of OCD weirdo who always actually keeps track of food eaten and changes of clothes and carrying capacities and wagon tongues. Here though, I'm saying yes because no seriously, prolonged periods where heading back to civilization are likely to come up. Plus there's the old story about the archer finding 10 +3 arrows the GM expected them to save for special desperate occasions, only to realize several sessions later she'd just decided to treat them as permanently upping her accuracy and damage and hadn't really just been rolling extremely well since finding them.

Throwing knives meanwhile are way easier to keep track of since USUALLY it's a pretty simple matter of collecting them all again after the fight, so on the rare occasion one ends up losing one off a cliff or into a river of magma, ticking the count down shouldn't be an issue.

Nodal
09-10-2010, 08:27 AM
It started as just a patch of dead grass, but every day it's gotten bigger, becoming a big ring of bare earth, and this afternoon when someone walked by it, they saw that there was suddenly some sort of weird tunnel in the middle of it

THIS IS MY TUNNEL. IT WAS MADE JUST FOR ME.

Nodal
09-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Also, I just looked at MythWeavers. Maaan that is way more work than the D&D Character Builder. Does anyone mind if I just upload the sheet that gives? I can just take a screenshot and upload the file it gives as well.

Edit: Yeah Destil has the right idea.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Phil, level 1
Dragonborn, Cleric

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 11, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 11, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 14.

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Reflex: 11 Will: 15
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +6, Insight +8, History +8, Diplomacy +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Arcana +1, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance, Heal +3, Intimidate +5, Nature +3, Perception +3, Stealth -1, Streetwise +3, Thievery -1, Athletics +3

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Mace)

POWERS
Cleric at-will 1: Priest's Shield
Cleric at-will 1: Righteous Brand
Cleric encounter 1: Healing Strike
Cleric daily 1: Avenging Flame

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Chainmail, Morningstar, Holy Symbol, Adventurer's Kit, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) (2), Lantern, Oil (1 pint) (3), Rope, Silk (50 ft.), Wine, Bottle
RITUALS
Gentle Repose, Fastidiousness

Destil
09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Also, I just looked at MythWeavers. Maaan that is way more work than the D&D Character Builder. Does anyone mind if I just upload the sheet that gives? I can just take a screenshot and upload the file it gives as well.

CutePDF would let you print the sheet to a PDF file.

Note I sadly won't be able to play, as it conflicts with Jess' raiding time and we only have the one awesome PC (I'm not trying maptool on my netbook). Have fun stormin' the hole!

Knight
09-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Argh, it's so hard to choose! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be a Tiefling, but Warlord and Warlock both sound so good! I'm leaning towards Warlord though, since it seems like it would be simpler for a first timer. How exactly do spells work in 4e? I skimmed through the PHB, and I couldn't find out. Is it still that weird spells-per-day thing or did they put in a mana system? I guess I could just take the time to read it cover to cover, but I figured it'd be easier to just ask here!

Lucas
09-11-2010, 03:44 PM
From what I've seen, Warlords are an extremely weak class. We had one in D&D Encounters that all he could do was stand back and tell the fighter to hit things, occasionally moving up for a flanking power.

Spells work just the same as the abilities for other classes now. Some can be used whenever you want, some can only be used once per encounter (which as long or as short as the GM says it is), and some can only be used once per day. Wizards imitate their old versatility with a kind of odd system: where normal characters start off with one daily power that they can use once per day, wizards can choose at the start of the day which daily they want available. I can't remember, but I think they have to choose which two dailies they know at creation and can't just switch between all the dailies each day.

benjibot
09-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I would be so down for this, but I'm never free in the evenings because I work the second shift. I've been wanting to put together a campaign since forever but haven't been able to round up people.

I do, however, have two of the 4E player's handbooks as well as few other sourcebooks and I'd be happy to help someone make a character. I also put together a power and equipment card stylesheet to generate printable cards to keep track of the 4E abilities. Send me a list of your abilities and I can prepare you a document you can print or refer to.

Knight
09-11-2010, 04:05 PM
I had wanted to be an intimidating, dual wielding badass, so Warlords being weak is kind of disappointing, but now that I read some of the actual Warlord section instead of just the summary near the beginning of the book, it makes sense. I guess I'll go Warlock instead.

benjibot
09-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I can't remember, but I think they have to choose which two dailies they know at creation and can't just switch between all the dailies each day.

Correct. As a wizard you have those spells in your spellbook, but you can only memorize one at a time. There are ways of increasing the number of available dailies you have in your book (like feats) but you've got to pick which one you commit to memory beforehand.

I want to weld on the 2E casting components personally. I love the idea that a wizard has to keep sulfur and bat dung on him at all times if he wants to roast things with a fireball.

Other spellcasters like warlocks and sorcerors don't use this system because their powers come from other sources.

Kalir
09-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Warlords, weak? I contest that remark, sir!

Granted, you have to play warlords sort of like a TF2 medic, but their powers are crazy awesome! Heck, my warlord was the king of our short-lived 4e group and they still make comments about his beret being a focus of immeasurable power.

Lucas
09-11-2010, 04:48 PM
I'll go Warlock instead.

I whole-heartedly endorse this plan.

Warlords, weak? I contest that remark, sir!

Granted, you have to play warlords sort of like a TF2 medic, but their powers are crazy awesome! Heck, my warlord was the king of our short-lived 4e group and they still make comments about his beret being a focus of immeasurable power.

See, this is what I expected from Warlords, and I am fully willing to believe our Warlord player was just incompetent. What sort of powers did you have?

Kalir
09-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Well, we never made it past 2nd level due to the aforementioned scheduling hells, but Melio (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=100198) focused on defensive play style for the group. He played a lot as described earlier, due to our group only having one dedicated melee character, but that also meant he also spent plenty of time on the frontlines alongside our fighter dishing out attacks. He'd use his powers to keep the weaker characters, like our wizard, out of the way and the fighter close to the front, and was a very firm "leave no man behind" sort of fellow who would hurry to the aid of characters in danger.

Admittedly, that's not really a playstyle that would suit people looking to go both guns blazing into a fight (that's more of a ranger sort of thing but hey warlocks are cool too), but it's a neat twist on the traditional healer role, especially considering that it's a martial background.

The beret thing is due to a trait he had in battle of regaining his composure by adjusting it. Somehow, I'd always roll a critical or similar just after doing this, which led to the whole "beret of kickass" thing.

(yes I stole the name from Order of Ecclesia. they used Latin and I like Latin)

sraymonds
09-11-2010, 05:32 PM
The one warlord I played with was crazy awesome and he pulled our fat out of the fire so many times.

Knight
09-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Alright, so I'm trying to pick my character's stats, and I think I'm gonna use the 28 point buy thing. Would I use the section of the PHB on point buying for that? It says to start with stat scores of 8, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, and then spend the points on upping your stats, with a table for how many points it costs to up a stat to a certain amount.

EDIT: Also, it says Tiefling's get +2 Intelligence and Charisma to Ability Scores. Does that mean I only apply those to rolls, or should I just add 2 to those stats on my character sheet?

benjibot
09-11-2010, 06:05 PM
I imagine warlord is a class that would be best run by someone with a fair bit of experience or just good tactical sense. Somewhere I read a review of the PHB that was laced with bilious nerd rage over warlord being a class. His point was that it was a title or some such nonsense.

Now I just keep thinking of how many delicious hooks a warlord character could bring to a campaign. Maybe he was once the leader of a group of bandits who grew disillusioned with the lifestyle and was either forced out in a coup or abandoned his increasingly murderous band in the dead of night (with some of their treasure and/or magical macguffin). Perhaps he intended to return said treasure but there's the little matter of the bounty on his head. Or maybe he's not that good.

Oh man, I could do this all day.

A Tiefling warlock is a race/class combo I'm looking forward to playing one day soon.

Destil
09-11-2010, 06:57 PM
None of the classes are so weak as to be unplayable.

Spells, aside from rituals, work just like every other power. You get daily, encounter and at will spells and they come back after the appropriate rest. Rituals have long casting times, require you to learn them (pay gold), cost money to cast and often have a check to see how well they work. Rituals are pretty much 'non combat magic' (though utility powers cover some of that too).

Warlords aren't weak at all. They're the best class for handing out extra attacks, which may look weak at first (it's not. If you have a fighter or a barbarian in the group the warlord is likely 'doing' fantastic damage). If you don't like that just don't take powers that hand out extra attacks. The various builds, off the top of my head:
Inspirational (Str/Cha, PBH1): Leader above all else, main specilaity is in having a lot of encounter healing surge triggers. Healiest of the warlord builds.
Tactical (Str/Int, PBH1): This is the build that hands out extra attacks like candy, though taclords also are all about positioning and granting attack bonuses. Very handy to have around, especially in a melee heavy party.
Bravada (Str/Cha, Martial Power1): All about taking big risks for big rewards. Powers that do more damage or have better effects but leave you open to an opponent's attacks.
Resourceful (Str/Int|Cha, Martial Power 1): Kitchen sink sort of build, gets good use of both sub-stats and has a lot of options and flexibility.
Skirmisher (Str/Int or Wis, MP2): Ranged build, has more options to hand out ranged attacks than other warlords. The most striker-like warlord option (more because they have really good target selection options than raw damage).
Insightful (Str/Wis or Cha, MP2): Similar to the taclord, though they hand out defensive bonuses as well.

Aside from your build warlords are really defined by equipment selection, since they're a weapon wielding class. The Int based builds can take light armor and end with good mobility and AC, other builds generally want chain. If you want to focus on powers with cool 'hit' effects pick up a sword of some sort (bastard sword + shield for AC or fullblade for damage), if you just want damage go with a hammer or axe. They're also one of the classes that gets a LOT of use out of reach weapons (greatspear) because so many of their powers rely on positioning.

Mechanically, warlocks are actually 'weaker' than warlords, ironically enough. Their damage isn't that great for a striker, but they have lots of utility and are actually have some really nice controller style powers.

Destil
09-11-2010, 07:00 PM
EDIT: Also, it says Tiefling's get +2 Intelligence and Charisma to Ability Scores. Does that mean I only apply those to rolls, or should I just add 2 to those stats on my character sheet?

Add +2 after rolling/spending points.

Kalir
09-11-2010, 07:07 PM
See, compared to this guy, I'm an ignorant pigdog rolling in filth when it comes to character optimization (case in point: defensive warlord/paladin build, but uses tactical trait. ????????) And yet my warlord was still highly valued on our team.

It sounds like you just got someone who didn't want to play a warlord at all or possibly misunderstood what the class entailed. On the upside, there's plenty of classes that have the style of the warlord (clerics in the base PHB, shamans in PHB2 which really interest me because they basically center around an animal companion style of play) and there's a ton of classes for people who want to hit things with stuff and be intimidating (rogue and barbarian both spring to mind right off).

Derra
09-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Warlords are awesome.

I'd love to play but I'm not sure I could be regular, unfortunately. Still didn't keep me from rolling up a character!

Crested Penguin
09-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Warlords are amazing. Double amazing if you have a fighter and/or a decent striker. They are basically a multiplier for the rest of the party - I can understand not wanting to be a support character like that, but they're awesome at what they do.

Walliard
09-11-2010, 10:34 PM
So we've got a cleric, a warlock and a rogue? Looks like I'll want to be a meatshield of some fashion.

Googleshng
09-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Note I sadly won't be able to play, as it conflicts with Jess' raiding time and we only have the one awesome PC (I'm not trying maptool on my netbook). Have fun stormin' the hole!

Interestingly enough, someone in my saturday game was stuck using a netbook today and things worked out pretty well. As long as you aren't making use of all those snazzy features like realtime line-of-sight shadow casting and such, maptool's not all that resource intensive. On the other hand, tiny screen=rar.

I want to weld on the 2E casting components personally. I love the idea that a wizard has to keep sulfur and bat dung on him at all times if he wants to roast things with a fireball.

On the one hand, I totally get the notion of the totally abstracted "spell component pouch" as an ease of use sort of thing. On the other hand, yeah, specific weird spell components are just inherently awesome. My actual serious pet project RPG that will likely never see the light of day takes the approach where snazzy magical stuff requires you to go on some big epic quest just to gather the components needed in advance.

Alright, so I'm trying to pick my character's stats, and I think I'm gonna use the 28 point buy thing. Would I use the section of the PHB on point buying for that? It says to start with stat scores of 8, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, and then spend the points on upping your stats, with a table for how many points it costs to up a stat to a certain amount.

Yeah. First you use the point by chart in the PHB as written (except for me giving higher than standard points to distribute). After distributing all points, regardless of how high you get them, you add a flat +2 onto those stats. So you could spent the points to end up with 18 int, 17 cha, and then bump those to 20 and 19 by going tiefling, or bring int cha and con up to 16s (with one point left over), then kick int/cha up to 18 with the racial bonus, or various less-min-maxy things along those lines.

And... I'm still trying to figure the total player count here out. I'm seeing... 4 people with characters finished/mostly finished in yon depository of sheets (and yay, with a nice class mix) anyone else definitely throwing their hat in/pondering it?

Lucas
09-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Don't suppose I could claim my character has his equipment because he was a member of a Landschneckt-type company before he started changing, could I? (Granted going from pikeman to rogue would still a bit of a stretch. Should find a more closely-themed mercenary company....) (Speaking of which, I still need to think of some way to justify him using shurikens. Could always go to throwing knives instead, but... but... damage dice.)

Also, can we buy an adventurer's pack and assume that the two sunrods inside are replaced by a lantern?

Edit: Hrm.... Y'know, I think I'll nix my Backstabber feat for Weapon Focus (Light Blade). My sneak attack dice will go down to 2d6 instead of 2d8, but I'll do +1 damage with light blades. Rogue Weapon Talent gives me a +1 to attack with daggers, so I can go with those for all my major attacks (and a sling for when I have time to set up ranged attacks). With my at-wills and encounter power, that makes for +9 attack and 1d4+6 damage total. Y'know, I think I can be happy with that.

benjibot
09-12-2010, 02:00 AM
Oh! I just checked out the links from the first post and:

Note that the filenames ending with .dmg are Mac OS X install images.

My heart skipped a beat. I honestly did not expect this to be friendly to me. Now I'm even more upset that I can't join in.

I'll just have to content myself to a support role here on this thread. One day, I shall have a campaign on one side of the screen or the other.

Destil
09-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Interestingly enough, someone in my saturday game was stuck using a netbook today and things worked out pretty well. As long as you aren't making use of all those snazzy features like realtime line-of-sight shadow casting and such, maptool's not all that resource intensive. On the other hand, tiny screen=rar.Well, I may be willing to give it a shot. I'll try and stick to something non-essential just incase, though. controller or secondary defender.

How would you deal with utterly fantastic character concepts? I've had an idea for a githzri seeker for a while who carries a huge bundle of arrows on his back and after every fight meditates with a handful to imbue them with aspects of the elemental chaos to refills his quiver. A little hard to work that guy into a non-magical world (just being gith in the first place, for one...)

Googleshng
09-12-2010, 02:06 PM
My heart skipped a beat. I honestly did not expect this to be friendly to me. Now I'm even more upset that I can't join in.

Oh yeah, all the programs for playing tabletop games via computer are oldschool Mac compatible, except I think one specifically for playing D&D, but %@$ it, Maptool's NICE. You may also want to check out VASSAL (really good for playing anything, particularly wargames, assuming someone has taken the time to go through the hell of creating the module for it), and Brettspielwelt, which is this general chat hub/playing environment for like, every eurogame ever (although the interfaces tend to be awkward and unforgiving).

Also, can we buy an adventurer's pack and assume that the two sunrods inside are replaced by a lantern?

Yeah, that's pretty much the way to go with it.

Don't suppose I could claim my character has his equipment because he was a member of a Landschneckt-type company before he started changing, could I?

Fine by me. It's the sort of backstory I'm not likely to try and build off for a while, what with the initial small town focus and things getting all crazy by the time people start wandering about.

How would you deal with utterly fantastic character concepts? I've had an idea for a githzri seeker for a while who carries a huge bundle of arrows on his back and after every fight meditates with a handful to imbue them with aspects of the elemental chaos to refills his quiver. A little hard to work that guy into a non-magical world (just being gith in the first place, for one...)

Thematically that's actually totally fine. The whole magic-ification of the world angle is basically all about me rationalizing all the stuff about D&D4 that kinda directly conflicts with coherent world-building. Assuming there's PC race stats for'em, you don't have to worry about why a member of race X is hanging out with all these other people, they were all humans the previous day and ANY other race is thus equally weird to suddenly see wandering around. Whatever weird crazy class with silly board game mechanic abilities you want, that's fine too. Even your average vanilla level 1 fighter is some crazy superhero with mysterious powers and knowledge coming to them compared to the standard NPC soldier. I don't have to rationalize why this here dungeon has the weird variety of monsters it kinda has to in order not to be boring as heck, magical chaos just kinda randomly blinked it all into being as-is (although later on they'll probably spread out and fall into more realistic monster ecologies).

This is however a fair time to point out again- All I have on character creation wise is the first PHB/MM. So... if you're pulling stuff out of the other PHBs, please write out how your powers/racial perks work on your sheet somewhere. Kind of a pain to do, but it avoids those situations where I do something like recreate the water temple puzzle from Zelda:OoT and then it turns out someone can naturally raise and lower the level of any body of water at will or something. Plus it's just a HUGE time saver to have all the fine print right there if one of those "so wait, does this work this way?" situations inevitably comes up.

I still need to think of some way to justify him using shurikens.

Yeah... even with me bending over backwards to make everything make total sense, that's a tricky one. What's up with that being officially commonplace anyway? D&D4 totally remade the implied standard campaign setting all Dark and Edgy and Badass, but it's still essentially just medieval europe dressed in spike studded black leather. Throwing stars still feel totally out of place in the pockets of the average plucky alley dwelling scoundrel. Most sensible backstory I can think of to make sense of them would be, oh... spent a lot of time on ships (as a pirate/merchant/privateer/whatever) that made their way back and forth between Vanilla Feudal Farmlands Land and Exotic Mysterious Land, and picked up an affinity for these crazy things you saw on display somewhere, picked'em up, and taught yourself how to handle them.

... now I'm feeling guilty for not having a proper map drawn out with some specific country names on it to toss out here (I usually actually do that sort of thing), but given the whole map-being-redrawn-by-magical-chaos angle it seems a less than productive use of time. Practically speaking, you can pretty safely assume whatever's most convenient about any foreign countries you want to work into your backstory. If your character concept depends on there being some Venice analog or Japan analog or whatever to be out in the world for you to have picked up some crazy weapon proficiency/style of dress/outlook on life in, odds are good I can sneak it in somewhere, and smash it up with rampaging dragons and orcs and such to mesh with everything else if the party gets around to checking out various members' old stomping grounds.

benjibot
09-12-2010, 02:20 PM
This is however a fair time to point out again- All I have on character creation wise is the first PHB/MM. So... if you're pulling stuff out of the other PHBs, please write out how your powers/racial perks work on your sheet somewhere. Kind of a pain to do, but it avoids those situations where I do something like recreate the water temple puzzle from Zelda:OoT and then it turns out someone can naturally raise and lower the level of any body of water at will or something. Plus it's just a HUGE time saver to have all the fine print right there if one of those "so wait, does this work this way?" situations inevitably comes up.

I've got PHB 1, 2, the Dragonborn pamphlet (that I won by rolling 17 on a d20), and MM 1 & 2. I'm kind of dying to use the power card template I spent so much time on. Let me type them up for y'all. I'll be your Assistant to the Regional Dungeon Master.

I played around with the tools this morning. For being Java applets they're pretty nice looking.

Googleshng
09-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Go for it. I seriously suspect that it was the original intent with D&D4 to release every class as a little pamphlet and a deck of power cards, then at the last minute they chickened out and stuck (about a third of) everything in a more trustworthy looking big fat PHB. Having a stack of nicely formatted little reference cards is so very clearly how the game was meant to be played... that or via that computer enhancement deal they were pushing so hard pre-release.

Googleshng
09-13-2010, 03:11 PM
OK, I have a bit of Actual Work to get done this week, but I'm just about done with everything on the DM front that doesn't require me to know exactly what we're going to have here character wise. Aside from making sure I'm not throwing 30 goblins at 4 people or 2 kobolds at 8 people, I'm making sure I have clear enough placeholder images for everyone's character in my uh... "efficiently sized artwork pile."

So if you're playing and I'm not listing your character here (including people who want in but haven't made a character yet), or I'm listing a character for you but you decided to bow out, let me know ASAP.
http://castlegreyhawk35.pbworks.com/f/1244925456/kaurophon.gif Django- Tiefling Warlock
http://castlegreyhawk35.pbworks.com/f/dwarf-male2.gif Dumat- Dwarf Fighter
http://castlegreyhawk35.pbworks.com/f/1244930787/asfelkir.gif Morn- Half-Orc Rogue
http://castlegreyhawk35.pbworks.com/f/1244926213/ashmantle.gif Phil - Dragonborn Cleric
http://castlegreyhawk35.pbworks.com/f/ranger3.gif Quinn- Human Seeker
http://castlegreyhawk35.pbworks.com/f/grig.png UNNAMED- Genasi Swordmage

Eventually I'm going to swap these out for something more distinct/consistent so the PCs stand out from the monsters and NPCs by the way.

Nodal
09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Phil is damn well not going to switch his human name to some filthy dragon name.

Knight
09-13-2010, 04:03 PM
http://castlegreyhawk35.pbworks.com/f/1244925456/kaurophon.gif Django- Tiefling Warlock
Magus, eh? I'm ok with this.

Man, I had a few more questions to ask so I could finish up my character sheet, and make some final stat adjustments, but now I can't remember them all! Well for now I guess I'll just go with what I have.

How do we handle deities? Were they already known in the original world, or are they just making themselves known?

I'm also trying the decide which of the 4 out of 8 skills I can pick would work best. Arcana is a given, especially since one else in the group (currently) has it, and I can see Bluff being useful, even though Lucas already has it. Nodal has History and Religion covered. So that leaves Insight, Intimidate, Streetwise and Thievery. I think Insight and Thievery aren't worth for me since my Wis and Dex are only at 10. Lucas already has Intimidate taken care of, and Bluff's in-combat use seems like it's use would be more consistent. Streetwise is also already covered, and I don't think I would have much use for it, since this setting seems kind of Diablo-esque, and I don't really see hitting up multiple towns.

I'm also trying to make them fit for my character's story, which still isn't quite settled. I almost always play a rogue type character in fantasy games, so it's hard to get my head out of that mindset. My mind just keeps coming back to some kind of thief or maybe con-man (to maybe fit with the high charisma) and or blackmailer (to fit with picking Vecna as a deity) who is lying low in the small town while he waits for his troubles in whatever nearby big city to blow over or where to move to next. Maybe he knows someone there, like a bartender, or a relative? Anyway, so I could pick some skills to fit with the back story, like Bluff, History and Religion could fit with the con-man thing, being able to infiltrate high society, but I dunno how useful it would be, unless having skill overlap is a good thing.

Ruik
09-13-2010, 04:07 PM
I think I'm going to be able to make this regularly. I'll draw up the character stats later, but I'd like to be a Gensai Swordmage. That'll fill the needed Defender spot.

Destil
09-13-2010, 07:20 PM
I actually changed my guy to a human, for a few reasons.

Quinn.pdf (http://www.destil.org/Quinn.pdf)

Guys, I have 30 gold left and nothing I'd really want to buy. We could get a wagon and some mules or, the safer bet in my opinion, pool our resources into sanctified incense for Nodal's rituals...

Quinn, level 1
Human, Seeker
Seeker's Bond: Bloodbond

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8.

AC: 15 Fort: 12 Reflex: 15 Will: 17
HP: 25 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +10, Nature +10, Acrobatics +8, Perception +10, Stealth +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +1, Heal +5, History, Intimidate -1, Religion, Streetwise -1, Thievery +3, Athletics

FEATS
Human: Distant Advantage
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Thorn Cloud Shot
Seeker at-will 1: Biting Swarm
Seeker at-will 1: Grappling Spirits
Seeker encounter 1: Flickering Arrow
Seeker daily 1: Swarming Bats

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Greatbow, Backpack (empty), Bedroll, Torch (5), Trail Rations (10), Waterskin, Belt Pouch (empty), Hammer, Pitons (10), Dagger, Basic Clothing (2)

Nodal
09-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Guys, I have 30 gold left and nothing I'd really want to buy. We could get a wagon and some mules or, the safer bet in my opinion, pool our resources into sanctified incense for Nodal's rituals...

I fully support you giving me your gold so that I can keep my clothes clean.

Googleshng
09-13-2010, 08:16 PM
How do we handle deities? Were they already known in the original world, or are they just making themselves known?

That's an excellent question which I should really have a solid answer for. There's definitely established churches in the world pre-magical weirdness, and pody-magical weirdness we're definitely going with the Standard List Of D&D Gods. So either those are the gods everyone has always worshipped, and they're all a bunch of jerks who haven't been granting anyone any magical favors, and STILL aren't for that matter aside from the one cleric in the party and some various monsters, or it's, you know, turns out every religion in the world was wrong, take that underlying foundation of society! Splitting the difference is also an option, where there's a few old world religions that equate to properly spell-granting gods, some that are totally baseless, and plenty of standard D&D gods nobody's heard of (Gruumish for instance doesn't seem right to be worshipped in a magic free all human world).

I'm leaning towards the split. How's this sound? The most popular religion in the area is something vaguely analogous to Christianity, at least in that it has big stone churches and an internal bureaucracy and largely serves as a secondary government, but it turns out turning undead doesn't really work out for those guys. There's a variety of way less popular religions around, most of which people heard about when doing heavy travelling, tried to bring back and spread around, and didn't really get much more of a following than the low double digits. So yeah, anyone who wants to be a pre-existing worshiper of a standard D&D, there's probably like a whole dozen other people in the area who have a mini-shrine built in someone's back yard or something.

Streetwise is also already covered, and I don't think I would have much use for it, since this setting seems kind of Diablo-esque, and I don't really see hitting up multiple towns.

Eh. I'm largely planning to play most of this by ear, but I'd expect things to at least be more like Diablo 2. Large stretches of time spent slogging through monster hordes, but then traveling around the world a bit learning about new horrible dens full of monsters prone to kill everyone. On the other hand, the general lack of powerful wizards and secret demon worshiping cults and elite thieves' guilds (at least, ones with enough class levels to be a threat), that does hurt the usefulness of serious info hunting.

My mind just keeps coming back to some kind of thief or maybe con-man (to maybe fit with the high charisma) and or blackmailer (to fit with picking Vecna as a deity) who is lying low in the small town while he waits for his troubles in whatever nearby big city to blow over or where to move to next. Maybe he knows someone there, like a bartender, or a relative? Anyway, so I could pick some skills to fit with the back story, like Bluff, History and Religion could fit with the con-man thing, being able to infiltrate high society, but I dunno how useful it would be, unless having skill overlap is a good thing.

Honestly, when in doubt, fitting the character concept beats metagaming any day. Heck, even when NOT in doubt that's true, really. Anyway, knowing locals good. Knowing non-locals also good. Having people out there wanting you dead is prone to be anticlimactic though, since I'm pretty much set on treating all plain ol' ordinary humans as like, level 0 minions.

Lucas
09-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Well, here's Morn as he stands now. (He's not updated on... that other site, whatever it is.)

Morn, level 1
Half-Orc, Rogue
Build: Cutthroat Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 10, Dex 20, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 13.

AC: 17 Fort: 12 Reflex: 17 Will: 11
HP: 22 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +10, Thievery +10, Bluff +6, Athletics +7, Intimidate +8, Streetwise +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering -1, Endurance +2, Heal -1, History, Insight -1, Nature -1, Perception -1, Religion

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)

POWERS
Rogue at-will 1: Piercing Strike
Rogue at-will 1: Riposte Strike
Rogue encounter 1: Dazing Strike
Rogue daily 1: Blinding Barrage

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Sling, Sling Bullets (40), Flask (empty) (2), Pouch, Belt (empty), Oil (1 pint) (2), Thieves' Tools, Climber's Kit, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) (3), Dagger (6)

I still have 24.74 gold to spend. I was planning to get a bunch of candles and maybe some rope and more sling bullets/daggers, but that wouldn't chew through all of my leftover cash (unless I was just carrying piles upon piles of ammo). I might still pick up a few shurikens too, just for the heck of it.

I hadn't really thought about what god to worship, but I think I'll go with a mercenary marine background for Morn - I like the mercenary background for him and fighting on a ship seems like it would explain why he's more familiar with light blades, light armor, and a dexterous fighting style than he is with the heavier armor and polearms a medieval land-based mercenary company would be. And it would give him an excuse to have traveled quite a bit and potentially have an odd quirk and knick-knack or two.

Knight: Don't be shy about doubling up on Bluff and Intimidate just because I already have them. With your Charisma you'd be much better at them than I will be.

Destil
09-13-2010, 09:00 PM
I fully support you giving me your gold so that I can keep my clothes clean.

Wait, you took what ritual? Er...

So, about that cart and mules, guys.

benjibot
09-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey look, I made some power cards for the guys I could. Apparently Seekers and Swordmages are in another book.

But I've got Morn (http://sorrytown.us/etc/morn.html) and Phil (http://sorrytown.us/etc/phil.html) all set up.

(So, these are set up to print out onto 4x6 index cards so each one is set to be a separate page. I haven't tried printing them yet, because my printer is dead. I think 3x5 would be a better size but they wouldn't fit but maybe I could tinker with the type size. Also, depending on your browser these might not be formatted exactly right and I can make PDF versions if you prefer.)

Derra
09-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Also, if you guys are using Maptools I highly recommend Rumble's Framework (http://www.houseofgenius.com/files/mtfw/v500/rfw-v5-beta.html) to help organize things and automate combat. I use v26 because there are bugs firing off automatic powers in v27. As a DM it makes my life a lot easier, as we have to stat out a lot of monsters over a campaign's lifetime.

Only the DM needs to download it, then make the maps in that campaign file, although players might want to do so to make their characters in it.

You do lose some of the feel of "rolling" [3d8] (you can choose to enter rolls manually, if you'd like), but copy and pasting monster entries to make instant tokens? YES PLEASE.

Knight
09-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Honestly, when in doubt, fitting the character concept beats metagaming any day. Heck, even when NOT in doubt that's true, really. Anyway, knowing locals good. Knowing non-locals also good. Having people out there wanting you dead is prone to be anticlimactic though, since I'm pretty much set on treating all plain ol' ordinary humans as like, level 0 minions.
Yea, I hadn't planned on the whole people wanting me dead thing to ever come to anything, it's just a reason for my high class con-man character to be in that podunk town. Now I just hope I can put the finishing touches on my sheet tonight while my wife monopolizes the TV before Halo times.

Crested Penguin
09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Also, if you guys are using Maptools I highly recommend Rumble's Framework (http://www.houseofgenius.com/files/mtfw/v500/rfw-v5-beta.html) to help organize things and automate combat. I use v26 because there are bugs firing off automatic powers in v27. As a DM it makes my life a lot easier, as we have to stat out a lot of monsters over a campaign's lifetime.

Only the DM needs to download it, then make the maps in that campaign file, although players might want to do so to make their characters in it.

You do lose some of the feel of "rolling" [3d8] (you can choose to enter rolls manually, if you'd like), but copy and pasting monster entries to make instant tokens? YES PLEASE.

Be warned that using this framework, while cool, introduced a ton of lag for me to move tokens and execute macros. It also requires a bit of a learning curve. I've transitioned from this to Rumble's Slim framework, which is more a set of game aids than a whole automated system. You can find it here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15488

Walliard
09-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Argh, I think I have to opt out of this. Sorry guys, I just have too much going on at the moment.

Ruik
09-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Alright, here's Franklin, the Stormsoul Genasi Swordmage. I'm at about 40gold left over. Seems with all the money we have left, we can get that cart and the ritual components easily.

Also, can someone look over my ability scores to make sure I used the point buy correctly.

Franklin, level 1
Genasi, Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Assault

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 20 Fort: 13 Reflex: 15 Will: 13
HP: 31 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, Athletics +6, Endurance +10, History +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, Insight +1, Intimidate -1, Nature +3, Perception +1, Religion +5, Stealth, Streetwise -1, Thievery

FEATS
Level 1: Intelligent Blademaster

POWERS
Swordmage at-will 1: Booming Blade
Swordmage at-will 1: Lightning Lure
Swordmage encounter 1: Lightning Clash
Swordmage daily 1: Dimensional Thunder

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Longsword, Climber's Kit, Flask (empty) (2), Oil (1 pint) (3), Pouch, Belt (empty) (3), Rations, Trail, Torch (2), Waterskin, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) (3), Dagger

Destil
09-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Points look correct to me.

Destil
09-16-2010, 04:00 PM
What version of maptool should I be installing?

Googleshng
09-16-2010, 04:03 PM
OK, starting things up here in about an hour. I THINK I'm pretty much set to run things here. Still running around getting things deal with here, but the maptool server SHOULD be up and running. Grab the latest version (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads#MapTool) (b74), and you should be able to connect to server (under the file menu) and find one called... TalkingTimeDandifor I think it was. Connect with whatever username (ideally, your character's name) and the password percy If it doesn't work, I suck and will trouble shoot next time I'm back at the computer.

Ruik
09-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Where is a good place to host a PDF at? I printed the character sheet the builder gave me to PDF and it has nice cards detailing my powers. I figured I should get that to you somehow. Or I can just email it to you I guess.

Destil
09-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Not seeing that server on the first tab at the moment...

Knight
09-16-2010, 04:39 PM
I can't seem to connect to the Map Tools server. It's not showing up as a selectable server, and when I tried just typing it in in the Server Name box, it tells me "Cold not find server: TalkingTimeDandifor"

Also, how's Skype gonna work? My skype name is knightdelsol7

EDIT: Just tried again, and I can connect now, but now I get "Could not load campaign. java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect"

Destil
09-16-2010, 04:52 PM
I can't seem to connect to the Map Tools server. It's not showing up as a selectable server, and when I tried just typing it in in the Server Name box, it tells me "Cold not find server: TalkingTimeDandifor"

Also, how's Skype gonna work?

EDIT: Just tried again, and I can connect now, but now I get "Could not load campaign. java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect"

I just got the same thing.

Ruik
09-16-2010, 04:56 PM
I just got the same thing.

Ditto.

Googleshng
09-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Oh maptool... why you gotta have such a nice interface and then randomly decide not to let me host a server the one day I decide to start up a new campaign?

I'm troubleshooting here. In the meantime, if someone else wants to take a stab at hosting (just make sure you connect as player so I can do so as GM) that'd probably be one of the simplest ways to do it. Also, since forum posts suck for troubleshooting, I'm Googleshng on ye old IMer, need people to pass my Skype names if we're going to be doing that bit (PM'em?), and... I suppose there's some official IRC channel around here somewhere for backup realtime conversing, what server was that on again?

Derra
09-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Did you set up your port forwarding? That's probably it.

Ruik
09-16-2010, 05:16 PM
IRC is server: irc.esper.net with the channel: #talkingtime

Destil
09-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Did you set up your port forwarding? That's probably it.

That was my first thought, too.
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3492&start=0

Googleshng
09-16-2010, 05:23 PM
As is often the case in life, having someone else host solves most problems! Everyone try connecting to TTD&D4E (password percy) and we should be good.

Ruik
09-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Paging all Lucases/Morns. You are needed in surgery maptool.

Destil
09-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Aaaand my internet drops me. Lovely.

Lucas
09-16-2010, 07:31 PM
What a convenient day to decide to get back into eating dinner with the family and taking long twilight constitutionals... I'll be on as soon as the latest version of maptools finishes downloading.

Googleshng
09-16-2010, 10:34 PM
So for those curious how much of a disaster it turns into when you spontaneously organize a game using a system nobody's especially familiar with, a group of more or less total strangers, and two tempermental chat programs... surprisingly not much. One hour of headaches, then smooth sailing.

Nodal
09-16-2010, 10:37 PM
So for those curious how much of a disaster it turns into when you spontaneously organize a game using a system nobody's especially familiar with, a group of more or less total strangers, and two tempermental chat programs... surprisingly not much. One hour of headaches, then smooth sailing.

That was the best kind of thing. And now that I understand some stuff I can look up other stuff.

Crested Penguin
09-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm glad it worked out. Initial connection stuff can be a bear - the good news is once you get it worked out the first time it's pretty much good to go for forever :)

Ruik
09-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Great game, it was a total success.

Bonus:

Secret origin of my character's name revealed:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/d1r3/franklin.jpg

Lucas
09-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Yeah, that was fun once I actually showed up. Maybe I'll even talk next time!

Paging all Lucases/Morns. You are needed in surgery maptool.

Two crits with daggers, one of them with a backstab. "Surgery" was appropriate.

Desonovich
09-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Can anybody tell me if the Red Box is a good place to start?

I've never played DnD before, and after years of being publicly mocked at elementary school, university has opened me up to several other geeky people like myself who would also like to take the plunge.

shivam
09-20-2010, 06:20 PM
the red box is an absolutely perfect place to start. it was made for folks who've never played before, and is fantastic for teaching with.

Googleshng
09-22-2010, 05:20 PM
So yeah, friendly reminder for those in it- we're a little shy of 24 hours away from session #2... for which I should be able to host the maptoolness and generally be better prepared all around! (Assuming I can get my router to behave, it's being stubborn about accepting its password AND resetting to default. Worst case scenario I just cut it out of the loop I guess.)

Lucas
09-22-2010, 05:25 PM
I'll try not to leave for a long walk right before game time this week.

Destil
09-23-2010, 11:44 AM
I'll be a few hours late tonight if I can make it at all. Sorry, not getting out of work until at least 6 and the game starts at 5 my time. Hope you can manage without bee arrows.

Knight
09-23-2010, 12:29 PM
I'll be a few hours late tonight if I can make it at all. Sorry, not getting out of work until at least 6 and the game starts at 5 my time. Hope you can manage without bee arrows.
I'm also gonna be an hour or so late, at least. There's overtime available at work, so I'm gonna be here until at least 8PM CST, possibly as late as 9:30, so I'll try to get on as quickly as possible once I get home.

Googleshng
09-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm not opposed to starting an hour or so later tonight. That's only annoying when people sleep at reasonable hours or don't give a heads up that everyone else has time to watch a movie or add extra detail to their big hopefully-everyone-can-connect-OK map.

sraymonds
09-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Do y'all have a transcript or something from your first session? I enjoy reading this stuff.

Destil
09-23-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm also gonna be an hour or so late, at least. There's overtime available at work, so I'm gonna be here until at least 8PM CST, possibly as late as 9:30, so I'll try to get on as quickly as possible once I get home.

Don't wait for me, specifically. I also have to drive home and hook up my netbook and may very well be here until 8-9.

Knight
09-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Do y'all have a transcript or something from your first session? I enjoy reading this stuff.
I don't know if anyone saved the text stuff, but most of the talking happened in skype, so the transcript would mostly be dice rolls and the occasional in-character line.

Don't wait for me, specifically. I also have to drive home and hook up my netbook and may very well be here until 8-9.
Yea, same here. You guys don't need to wait up for me. I'll be here until 8, but I'm not gonna be able to get on until 8:30ish or later. When I went home for lunch, my wife told me how she forgot about the D&D time, and her crops in Farmville be ready around 8, so she'll have to take care of those, and I don't remember how long she said that was gonna take. I'd rather not keep the whole group waiting over that.

sraymonds
09-23-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't know if anyone saved the text stuff, but most of the talking happened in skype, so the transcript would mostly be dice rolls and the occasional in-character line.

Ah, that's right. I mistakenly thought y'all were doing this through IRC.

Nodal
09-23-2010, 03:04 PM
When I went home for lunch, my wife told me how she forgot about the D&D time, and her crops in Farmville be ready around 8, so she'll have to take care of those,

and her crops in Farmville be ready around 8, so she'll have to take care of those.

her crops in Farmville be ready around 8,

her crops in Farmville

Farmville

Ruik
09-23-2010, 04:17 PM
So what's the deal on our start time tonight? Is it normal time or pushed back to a different time?

Knight
09-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Farmville
Hey man, I'm cool with whatever keeps her off my back when I want to play a console game. Of course I think playing Farmville clogs up our internet tubes, because I seem to notice some lag and voice chat disruption when she starts to play, but it might just be coincidence and I'm noticing it happen more frequently because I'm looking for a reason as for why it happens.

Lucas
09-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Well, if the time really is getting pushed back, I won't feel bad for not getting out of my shower until right now. Hell, maybe I'll even put on some clothes before the game begins!

Googleshng
09-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Well, if people are cool starting now I suppose I'm game for it. I was procrastinating and using the extra time to see if I could get maptool here into a proper me-hosting situation. I don't suppose anyone can actually connect to either TTD&D4eDM or direct IP connect to 99.136.254.99 now, can they? If not, I'm just going to have to fling this map at someone else to host again.

Destil
09-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Bee arrows are HERE!

Lucas
09-23-2010, 10:52 PM
We were fifty-five seconds short of a five hour game.

I think Morn needs a nickname now, based either on his ridiculous number of crits or on his blitzkrieg tactics (which are effective when the enemy's not expecting it! And now I know about the whole "minions are immune to half damage" thing, at least). Bonus points if you incorporate both!

Nodal
09-23-2010, 10:54 PM
"Target"

Googleshng
09-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah, that was a pretty amazing number of crits and near death experiences for one character in one night.

Lucas
09-24-2010, 12:45 AM
High risks yield high rewards.

Y'know, when they don't kill you.

Alpha Werewolf
09-24-2010, 08:05 AM
So... you guys have room for one more? I've never played 4e, but it looks fun.

Googleshng
09-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Well, the game I'm running kinda has the whole gimmick of this group of PCs being, so far as anyone knows, the only group of people with class levels in the entire world due to some sort of Fantastic 4 sort of right place at the right time magical weirdness exposure. At some point down the road I can potentially work out a rationalization for another PC or two hopping into the mix, but, I started this thread here as just a general organizational thing for people getting RPG campaigns with random TTers off the ground, and I'm PRETTY sure there's another 3 or 4 people who were up for a D&D4 game who couldn't hop in on mine for one reason or another.

So... anyone besides me willing to start a spillover campaign up for Alpha/Nich/whoever else was looking?

Lucas
09-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Oh yeah, I never could decide on a second level power or feat. I should get on that.

EDIT: Alright, I took the feat that gives me +3 init and an extra healing surge, but still can't decide on a utility power. Let's see what the party says: take the power where I can take a full movement and use stealth, or the one that lets me make a high/long jump from a standing start? I'm leaning towards the jump, although I have yet to use either skill check in this game.

Destil
09-30-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm a pretty big fan of the jumping/climbing powers for Str rogues.

Argh, I'll most likely be late again. Sorry, work hours for me are pretty sporadic, especially weeks like this when I'm on call.

Knight
09-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Alright, so how does this level up stuff work? How many feats and spells and whatnot do I get?

shivam
09-30-2010, 12:53 PM
do you have a players handbook? read the two pages about leveling up.

Lucas
09-30-2010, 12:53 PM
One feat and one level 2 utility power.

Lucas
09-30-2010, 04:22 PM
As mentioned in the Content thread, we're shaping up to have a pretty good thunderstorm here soon. If I'm not online when the game's starting (or I suddenly drop out in the middle), either the power's out or I feel there's a good chance my house is about to be hit by lightning.

Destil
09-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Go ahead and start without me again, I'm going to be stuck fire fighting at work a while.

(note that on odd levels you get +1 to all attacks, checks and defenses, and you get HP at every level)

Googleshng
09-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Should be time for handling actual leveling up mid-session too, since things should be getting kinda downtime-y at some point. Also, start time is now. Let's all start magically appearing in Skype/maptool folks.

Ruik
09-30-2010, 05:05 PM
I'll be on shortly, need to switch over to bootcamp to print out my lvl 2 dude. I figure that might be a bit much to do during the game, even if we're allowing time for lvling and stuff.

Lucas
09-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Here's (https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BxClI41j-ItlODhiMTc1MzItYTQ2Ni00OGEwLTgyMzUtM2ZjNDZhMzBiOWR i&hl=en) the totally up-to-date character sheet for Morn.

For some reason WotC's character builder doesn't like putting actual quantities on the character sheet, nor can you add miscellaneous gems to your inventory, so just in case someone needs to run Morn and needs those specific numbers, here you go:

56 sling bullets
2 empty flasks
2 pints of oil
3 cloth armors
8 daggers
1 gem worth 100g

And I'll try to get the Myth-Weavers page updated too.

Ruik
10-06-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm not going to be able to do D&D this week. Going to an event that night. I'll get up my character sheet onto MythWeavers for someone to use. Sorry I can't make it tomorrow; don't have too much fun without me.

EDIT: Event was canceled, I'm going to be there after all. HUZZAH!

Lucas
10-07-2010, 03:48 PM
I might be a few minutes late. I need to run into town for some errands, and the grocery store lines can be terrible this time of day.

Edit: Got into the line right before the huge traffic jam, and I'm back.

Lucas
10-08-2010, 12:37 AM
That was a really disappointing number of criticals for Morn this session. He'll need to get at least two next week just to keep his crit-session ratio up.

I think splitting my sometimes ridiculous luck between characters hurt his performance (though the synchronization of dailies and subsequent sneak attacking of three enemies at once was pretty cool).

Destil
10-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Sorry, guys. Seems my netbook decided it didn't need a boot partition while I was at work yesterday.

Googleshng
10-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Aha. Figured it was something like that. You missed out on the spontaneous addition of some kinda NPC cannon fodder management cropping up, everyone growing weirdly attached to one of said NPCs (because he's weirdly awesome), and people seriously bowling some wights right the @#$% over in basically one round.

Lucas
10-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Game on in fifteen minutes, right? I'll try to find some dinner beforehand.

Destil
10-14-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm hacking my netbook back into working order as I type and work is going to be a lot less crazy soon. So I should be ready to go next week.

Ruik
10-14-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm hacking my netbook back into working order as I type and work is going to be a lot less crazy soon. So I should be ready to go next week.

OK, it'll be good to have you back. We're killing zombies and the eeeeeviil undead tonight.

Lucas
10-14-2010, 10:15 PM
OK, it'll be good to have you back.

This. Or at least give me an updated character sheet for Quinn to play him from!

Speaking of which, here's an updated sheet for Morn (http://sixmeans.com/misc/morn_3rd_level.pdf).

Nodal
10-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Has Destil been missing? I'VE BEEN TOO BUSY CASTING TURN UNDEAD :cool:

Googleshng
10-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Good to know. Also, everyone is up to level 3 now, so, nab a new encounter once things are stable.

Destil
10-14-2010, 10:37 PM
All I need right now is sound drivers.

I'll make a PDF tomorrow, this only included magical gear. Quinn has added scorpion arrows and spiders to his quiver (trained out flickering arrow because I was never really happy to use it).

EDIT: Or I can put him on iplay4e (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhi24rgCDA).
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Quinn, level 3
Human, Seeker
Seeker's Bond: Bloodbond

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8.

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Reflex: 16 Will: 18
HP: 35 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +11, Nature +11, Acrobatics +9, Perception +11, Stealth +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +2, Heal +6, History +1, Intimidate, Religion +1, Streetwise, Thievery +4, Athletics +1

FEATS
Human: Distant Advantage
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)
Level 2: Weapon Expertise (Bow)

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Thorn Cloud Shot
Seeker at-will 1: Biting Swarm
Seeker at-will 1: Grappling Spirits
Seeker encounter 1: Spider Spirits
Seeker daily 1: Swarming Bats
Seeker utility 2: Hunter's Instinct
Seeker encounter 3: Spectral Scorpion Sting

ITEMS
Thunderburst Greatbow +1, Leather Armor
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Lucas
10-14-2010, 10:43 PM
(trained out flickering arrow because I was never really happy to use it).

Man, I was using it all the time. Once it even hit!

Destil
10-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Quinn, 3rd level. (http://www.destil.org/Quinn3.pdf)

Lucas
10-20-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm thinking I might try to change Morn to a distance fighter. First step would be to buy a whole lot more daggers retrain Weapon Focus (Light Blade) away for Distant Advantage, so I can get combat advantage for any foe my allies are flanking, even if I'm across the room. I'd retrain the feat so I could start dabbling in sorcerer; that way, I would have just enough levels to achieve paragon multiclassing. And if I do this, of course, I'd be happy to give the horned helm to Phil or Frank.

Thoughts? Would this just dilute my rogue-y goodness? Are you having too much fun watching Morn constantly charge into battle and surviving by the skin of his enlarged teeth? Is multiclassing too complicated?

kaisel
10-20-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm thinking I might try to change Morn to a distance fighter. First step would be to buy a whole lot more daggers retrain Weapon Focus (Light Blade) away for Distant Advantage, so I can get combat advantage for any foe my allies are flanking, even if I'm across the room. I'd retrain the feat so I could start dabbling in sorcerer; that way, I would have just enough levels to achieve paragon multiclassing. And if I do this, of course, I'd be happy to give the horned helm to Phil or Frank.

Thoughts? Would this just dilute my rogue-y goodness? Are you having too much fun watching Morn constantly charge into battle and surviving by the skin of his enlarged teeth? Is multiclassing too complicated?

If you're just asking this to a general audience, I've found in the games I've played that the ranged Rogue is pretty great. The one in my current game (he's a Cunning Sneak style, so he gets bonuses to hide) out damages just about everyone since the DM's pretty nice about cover. Though, the Cunning Sneak style is best for ranged, since you can also get combat advantage when you just have cover (if you have a good stealth score)

The melee Rogue that I've seen played on the other hand typically ended up either at 0 surges while the rest of the party still had most of their surges. Granted, that might have been because I was a crappy Fighter (and our Rogue had 8 Con and would rush in).

I only vaguely know what the general consensus is about Paragon Multiclassing (most people don't like it, but don't listen to 'em, most of the people who talk about that are usually the ones insanely obsessed with optimization), but I don't know if Sorceror is the best choice for you, since your Charisma is 13. It'll be hard to hit with any of those powers, especially at higher levels. If you do decide to keep Sorceror, I'd highly recommend at 4th level to increase Charisma, and eventually take Implement Expertise (dagger), Superior Implement proficiency (accurate dagger or whatever it's called) to make up for the lower starting Charisma.

This is mostly mechanical advice from someone who hasn't seen you guys play, though take this all with a grain of salt. Hope it helped some.

Destil
10-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Paragon Sorcerer Mutlclassing is one of the few good ones, due to a single feat that actually makes it worth-while:

Sorcerous Power [Multiclass Sorcerer]
Prerequisite: Any multiclass sorcerer feat, paragon multiclassing as a sorcerer
Benefit: You gain a bonus to the damage rolls of arcane powers equal to your Strength modifier or your Dexterity modifier.
At 21st level, this bonus increases by 2.

kaisel
10-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Paragon Sorcerer Mutlclassing is one of the few good ones, due to a single feat that actually makes it worth-while:

Sorcerous Power [Multiclass Sorcerer]
Prerequisite: Any multiclass sorcerer feat, paragon multiclassing as a sorcerer
Benefit: You gain a bonus to the damage rolls of arcane powers equal to your Strength modifier or your Dexterity modifier.
At 21st level, this bonus increases by 2.

That is pretty amazing. The low(ish) Charisma is a little problematic though, but I don't think insurmountable with expertise and superior implements. That's a great reason to do Paragon Multiclassing though.

Lucas
10-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I was going to increase Charisma in any case, since odd stats bug me (they could be giving me a higher bonus!!!! No, I don't care whether I actually use that stat or not!). That combined with their use of daggers as implements just made Sorcerer more appealing to me to increase my ranged power. There's also the benefit of some elemental attacks, and the ability to target more defenses, which my fellow players will tell you is a big deal for me.

Where's this Cunning Sneak rogue style come from? And the Sorcerous Power feat? I've only got the first two PHBs to work from here.

Destil
10-20-2010, 11:18 PM
I was going to increase Charisma in any case, since odd stats bug me (they could be giving me a higher bonus!!!! No, I don't care whether I actually use that stat or not!). That combined with their use of daggers as implements just made Sorcerer more appealing to me to increase my ranged power. There's also the benefit of some elemental attacks, and the ability to target more defenses, which my fellow players will tell you is a big deal for me.

Where's this Cunning Sneak rogue style come from? And the Sorcerous Power feat? I've only got the first two PHBs to work from here.Martial Power 2 and Arcane power.

Ruik
10-21-2010, 08:40 AM
One thing to note, there will only be Phil and me in melee range to create flanking for the Distant Advantage. Not sure how big a deal that is /shrug.

I'm probably going to miss a chunk of the game tonight, unfortunately. I need to pick Helen up around 6 pacific time. I'll upload an updated Franklin so somebody can use the meat shield for the first hour and half.

Knight
10-21-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm probably going to miss a chunk of the game tonight, unfortunately. I need to pick Helen up around 6 pacific time. I'll upload an updated Franklin so somebody can use the meat shield for the first hour and half.
I was just about to post something similar! I gotta take Bri to the airport tomorrow morning, so I gotta leave maybe an hour or so early so I can get to bed.

Ruik
10-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Also, Frank's new encounter power can be used on a charge, so from a greed standpoint, yes please go ranged rogue and gimme gimme the helmet.

Lucas
10-21-2010, 11:47 AM
One thing to note, there will only be Phil and me in melee range to create flanking for the Distant Advantage. Not sure how big a deal that is /shrug.

I was thinking of that. That's one reason I was planning to dabble in sorcerer, so I'd have at least one or two ranged attacks per encounter that don't depend on you guys flanking an enemy for me to do significant damage.

Ruik
10-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Updated Myth-Weaver character sheet.

Lucas
10-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Man, all thrown magic weapons automatically having Returning is quite the game changer as to what weapons I could use as a ranged rogue....

dussssstin
10-23-2010, 09:27 PM
I just discovered this thread.

How can I get in?!

Lucas
10-23-2010, 09:52 PM
It's up to Google, but I think we're at capacity right now. There was talk of a second game to hold the overflow, but I don't think anyone stepped up to GM it. Of course, if any of our PCs dies, especially before we get easy access to resurrection, they could be willing to drop out and let you take their spot.

And the way things are going right now, that's probably going to me....

Nodal
10-23-2010, 09:54 PM
It's up to Google, but I think we're at capacity right now. There was talk of a second game to hold the overflow, but I don't think anyone stepped up to GM it. Of course, if any of our PCs dies, especially before we get easy access to resurrection, they could be willing to drop out and let you take their spot.

And the way things are going right now, that's probably going to me....

No way! I got your back! TWICE! With a chance of a whole THIRD TIME.

Googleshng
10-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah, the 4e game I'm running is kinda full. Someone else needs to put a GM hat on and run something for the... I think you bring it up to 3 now overflow people.

pence
10-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Who all are the overflow people? My brain and my heart are arguing over whether I should try to run Pathfinder RPG over the internet (or 4th edition, if that's what people want).

Alpha Werewolf
10-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Who all are the overflow people? My brain and my heart are arguing over whether I should try to run Pathfinder RPG over the internet (or 4th edition, if that's what people want).

I'm one. I don't mind if it's Pathfinder or 4e, though I do have a 4e character ready.

TirMcDohl
10-26-2010, 03:03 PM
I do enjoy me some Pathfinder, though I don't know if I'll have the time to squeeze in a game with all the other stuff I've got going on. :(

Googleshng
10-26-2010, 04:03 PM
I remember Nich asking earlier, but that post seems to have vanished into the phantom zone or something. You can probably recruit a bunch of people from the one shots thread too that are just looking for any sort of RPG action. Oh and I'd TOTALLY be down for a Pathfinder game myself. So many APHB classes to try out. I'm spread a little thin though, so... would depend on when you were running things.

Karzac
10-26-2010, 05:47 PM
I'd be down to play 4e, if, you know, you needed somebody or something...

Red Hedgehog
10-26-2010, 07:14 PM
I'd try to be in for some Pathfinder (or 4E, but I like the 3E mechanics much better). Though I'm not sure if my schedule would work well with others.

pence
10-27-2010, 12:33 PM
My schedule only leaves Wednesday evenings open, starting any time between 6PM - 8PM Eastern, and running until 12AM Eastern at the latest. I'm totally open to running 4E (perhaps even preferring 4E, since I already run Pathfinder once a week), although I know there are people like me who will preach the gospel of 3.5 like the AD&D diehards before us. So if you have Wednesdays open and want to cast Magic Missile, go ahead and post:

Do you have a preference for one system over another? Listened to Penny Arcade's 4E podcasts and want to try? Already have a million 3.5 books and haven't been able to find a group to play Pathfinder yet? Just want to roll some dice and pretend to be an orc?

I'm looking at converting some of Paizo's low-level published adventures, so if you're a battle-scarred veteran and have already run through Crown of the Kobold King or the related adventures set in Falcon's Hollow, let me know. I'm not crazy enough to try and run a whole Adventure Path online, I'm saving those for my actual tabletop game. Besides, Kingmaker might be a bit... ambitious for a learning game.

Karzac
10-27-2010, 12:36 PM
That would probably work for me and I would prefer 4e. Would you be using MapTool? Because I'd have to check to see if that works with my laptop.

pence
10-27-2010, 12:39 PM
That would probably work for me and I would prefer 4e. Would you be using MapTool? Because I'd have to check to see if that works with my laptop.

I'll need to give it a spin after work today and see how I like it, but from what I've read, yeah, I'm planning on using it. I can't imagine playing 4E without some sort of map and tokens for combat.

Karzac
10-27-2010, 12:40 PM
yeah, I agree. I'll try it out on my laptop.

namelessentity
10-27-2010, 04:59 PM
My schedule recently opened up and I would love to get in on a game, though I know nothing about anything you guys have been talking about.

BŁge
10-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Ditto.

Red Hedgehog
10-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Wednesday nights work for me (at least through December). I'll still throw in a vote for Pathfinder even if it might be a losing cause. (But maybe I can finally see 4E done in a way that interests me more).

Ruik
10-27-2010, 07:25 PM
I will be MIA for this week's game (10/28). I have 2 exams and a lab report due this Friday, so Thursday night is going to be all school work for me.

Red Hedgehog
10-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Although I can't make November 3 and probably December 1.

pence
10-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Behold, a sales pitch. I'll work out the specifics of teaching people who don't know how to play or make a character later, but I wanted to get this up:

"Efrir ep Bered" - "Free and Ready", Motto of Andoran
Presenting a D&D 4E campaign set in Darkmoon Vale, for 3-6 RPG-curious people, experience not required. Likely start date is 11/10/2010, and continuing on Wednesday nights.

The sawdust-choked village of Falcon's Hollow exists in a constant state of deterioration. Miles from civilization, and possessing no natural resources except for the exceedingly valuable darkwood harvested from nearby Darkmoon Wood, the residents live in servitude to the corrupt Lumber Consortium and its cruel figurehead, Thuldrin Kreed. The impoverished citizens would leave if they could; but the Lumber Consortium subsidizes their food and shelter, leaving them little money for an honest day's work. Even as Falcon's Hollow decays from within, it is besieged from without - Darkmoon Wood is the home of ancient ruins, terrifying werewolves and mysterious living shadows. When the entire populace of Falcon's Hollow begins to fall ill, many of the townsfolk refuse to trust the church of Iomedae, instead turning to an overwhelmed local herbalist for aid...

Map of Darkmoon Vale (http://i55.tinypic.com/308gumv.jpg), poorly edited by yours truly.

Your Character

As level 1 characters, you will all be brought together at a time when Falcon's Hollow needs heroes. The already battered populace has begun to fall ill, victims of a tainted spring. You can use the information below on Darkmoon Vale as a loose guideline for character concepts. Play around with them and find an idea you like!

You may be a resident of Falcon's Hollow, hardened by adversity and living under the Lumber Consortium's thumb. Dragonborn, Dwarves, Devas, and Eldaren are not often found living in Falcon's Hollow, finding life there undignified and miserable. Whether you are a lumberjack acquainted with the perils of the forest, a devotee of the goddess Iomedae, or a cutpurse who steals to live, rural life in the Vale has made you stronger.

You might be from another settlement in Darkmoon vale. Such a character might know someone in Falcon's Hollow, or be drawn there for other reasons:
Olfden is the largest city in Darkmoon Vale - and outsiders often don't think of it as part of the Vale at all. Other Valers treat the citizens of Olfden like outsiders as well, but the walled city plays an important role in protecting the region from constant werewolf attacks. It is a hub of trade and activity, located a day's travel from Falcon's Hollow.

Members of of the Diamond Regiment are career soldiers, led by brave commanders known as Eagle Knights. They are tasked with patrols through the smaller human settlements, often flexing their might in places where the Lumber Consortium holds power. They make their home in a marble tower known as Adamas, just outside of Olfden.

Good characters with a primal source of power might find representation in the Greenfire Circle, which protects the Vale from threats both natural and unnatural. The Druids and Shamans of this circle act as intermediaries between civilization and the natural, even dealing with creatures of the First World (fey).

Many Dwarves and Goliaths live in their own settlements nestled in the Five Kings Mountains. Named for five carvings of Dwarven kings that soar over the mountain passes, this mountain range is anchored by a dormant volcano, Droskar's Crag. One thousand years ago, an ancient dwarven civilization in these mountains was destroyed by The Rending, a volcanic eruption that ripped through the Vale. Although they live separately from the human population, they frequently trade with Falcon's Hollow.

Shifters have it rough here, and at the very least they would have to suppress their shifting powers everywhere they went. There is a strong hatred of lycanthropy in Darkmoon Vale, owing to a history of deadly werewolf attacks. Most captured werewolves are killed in a relatively humane manner by the Valers - a swift beheading with a silvered axe. However, some common folk of the Vale have taken to the brutal practice of 'silvering' - sneaking into the captured lycanthrope's holding cell and force-feeding them a suspension of silver and wolfsbane. The resulting death can only be described as excruciating, even to watch. A shifter can expect to suffer a similar fate in the less educated rural settlements of the Vale. I'm going to houserule Shifters out, but write something cool with it and you might change my mind.

If none of this strikes your fancy, you might be a Pathfinder - an expert adventurer tasked with exploring, experiencing, and chronicling the lesser-known parts of the world. Pathfinders are members of the Pathfinder Society, but are left to their own devices in their explorations. You have found yourself in Falcon's Hollow by some means, possibly hired to protect a merchant caravan or simply drawn by the promise of dwarven ruins and dangerous forests. Either way, as an outsider you will likely find it difficult to win the trust of the paranoid locals, even your fellow adventurers.

Comb Stranger
10-27-2010, 10:16 PM
I'll play on the condition we call it Pathfournder.

Alpha Werewolf
10-27-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm fine with pretty much any day but friday nights.

pence
10-27-2010, 10:24 PM
I'll play on the condition we call it Pathfournder.

Quad-larion, The Pathfournder Chronicles.

People who expressed interest (in order):

dussssstin (before I posted, impetus for my posting)
Alpha Wolf (don't get silvered!)
TirMcDohl (might not have time, mentioned Pathfinder rules specifically)
Karzac (prefers 4E)
Red Hedgehog (sharing my skepticism re: 4E)
namelessentity (let me know if you need help getting up to speed with anything)
Buge (ditto, you'll be exploring dungeons in no time)
Comb Stranger (temporarily setting aside his disdain for 4E to join my wild experimentations)

Also Googleshng and Nich, maybe.

And myself, the 4E-curious, trying to figure out MapTool and justify running a game online at the same time.

I'm thinking of writing up our adventures in a session report / Let's Play format, too, as if I wasn't already biting off more than I can chew. With the amount of people interested in just watching earlier in the thread, I'm sure a few paragraphs of poorly-written (but collaboratively written!) genre fiction a week shouldn't be hard to generate.

BŁge
10-28-2010, 07:37 AM
This sounds good. I would like to play! The only hurdle could be availability, since I work odd hours. I'm free any night at 930EST, however.

Alpha Werewolf
10-28-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm thinking of writing up our adventures in a session report / Let's Play format, too, as if I wasn't already biting off more than I can chew. With the amount of people interested in just watching earlier in the thread, I'm sure a few paragraphs of poorly-written (but collaboratively written!) genre fiction a week shouldn't be hard to generate.

Sounds totally awesome.

Googleshng
10-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Oh yeah, that whole sitting around and watching bit just kinda totally went up in smoke didn't it. Probably for the best since it turns out this little player batch here has a fair amount of SHY all in all.

But anyway yeah, I don't need to play in a 4e game while simultaneously running one, so count me out on Campaign #2 there. Now, if someone starts a third, using a different system, THEN I'm likely down for it.

Destil
10-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Most likely won't be making today game, as I won't be out of work before 7 at the earliest.

Lucas
10-28-2010, 12:19 PM
That's two players who are out today. Should we maybe just call it?

Googleshng
10-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Oh hey, is it? Sure then. Everyone go off and do non-D&D stuff tonight I guess, then next week come back all refreshed and with-working-computers and not distracted with halloween plans and whatnot.

Karzac
10-28-2010, 06:38 PM
I think I'm going to have to bow out for the second game guys. My laptop doesn't seem to be able to handle Maptool and I don't think I'll be able to hog the desktop for that long on a weekly basis. Have fun without me!

namelessentity
10-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh yeah, that whole sitting around and watching bit just kinda totally went up in smoke didn't it.

I tried to watch you guys but had trouble getting maptool to find you.

I'd like in on this new campaign. I've done a few table top games, but not DnD proper, and definitely not 4e, so totally lost on starting points.

pence
10-28-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm not comfortable with MapTool yet, so I'm not sure how any of this will translate to that program, but here's my down and dirty overview of the absolute basic rules for 4th edition D&D:

The core mechanic of D&D is rolling a 20-sided die and adding a number to it. Higher is always better, and rolling a d20 covers pretty much everything you'd want to do from shooting an orc to picking a lock. In combat, creatures take turns. On your character's turn, you normally get one move action, one standard action and one minor action. You probably reposition your character somewhere, decide what you are going to attack and how (I want to cast... Magic Missile!), and perform some other minor actions like reloading your crossbow or opening a door.

In 4th edition, all characters have powers that they choose from to use in combat. You choose powers as you create your character and choose new ones to gain as you level up. Some of these are Encounter powers, and can only be used once every combat encounter (every five minutes or so, in the game world). Others are Daily powers, and can only be used once every in-game day. These are usually major buffs or attacks that have some sort of effect, even if you miss. The rest are At-Will: you can do them as many times as you want. For example, a Ranger might have these (edited for teaching purposes) powers:

Nimble Strike
At Will
Standard Action, Ranged Weapon
Target: One creature
Special: Shift 1 square before or after you attack
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.

This is useful for an archer, because of the 'special' part. When you use this power, you shift 1 square. If a goblin is all up in your grill, you can put some space between him and you before you attack, and use a move action after you attack to put even more space between you! The rest of the stuff boils down to specifying what you should add to your d20 roll when you attack them, and how much damage your arrow will do to them. If you have a longbow, you'll probably do something like 1d10 damage when you stick an arrow through your enemy.

Two-Fanged Strike
Encounter
Attack: Dexerity vs. AC, two attacks
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier per attack. If both attacks hit, you deal extra damage equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Now we're talking, this lets you shoot twice at the same creature, and if you hit both times you do even more damage! More is usually good, and you get to stick two arrows right between his eyes with one action. Since this is an encounter power, though, you don't get it back until you can take a short break.

Hunter's Bear Trap
Daily
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target is slowed and takes ongoing 5 damage (save ends both).
Miss: Half damage, no ongoing damage, and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

If you hit with this, you're dealing twice as much damage (that's the 2[W], two times whatever your weapon normally does). And you slowed down your target. And now he's bleeding, at least until he can make a saving throw. Even if you miss, you still get half damage, and you get to watch him hobble around cursing at you for a round. So you never have to worry about 'wasting' it.

pence
10-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Characters in 4E broadly fall into one of four roles:

Defenders are tanks. If you've played an MMO, you know these guys, and they actually have a mechanical representation in-game! They can 'mark' enemies, forcing the enemy to attack them by lowering their chance to hit anyone else. There are usually some other class-related goodies as well. For example, fighters get a free opportunity attack if their marked target tries to shift away from them, or even if they try to attack someone else.

Strikers are the guys who hit for lots of damage. Our ranger in the example above is a striker. They're not all about damage all the time; like Aragorn, the ranger is probably your go-to guy for leading the party through the wilderness without dying of starvation, too.

Controllers are jerks. They push enemies around, debuff them, and generally make things easier for the party. Way more powerful than you might think. A Wizard is a classic controller, and can conjure up walls, daze enemies, or just sleep the last remaining guy who is trying to run away.

Leaders are the ones pulling your fat out of the fire. The Cleric, formerly known as the healbitch, is a Leader in 4th edition. He kicks ass AND buffs the party!

And this is just the combat stuff. The rest of the session is your usual tabletop fare - telling your GM what your character is doing, sneaking through castles, trying to escape a town full of dopplegangers, whatever your GM throws at you, rolling a d20 whenever the result of your actions is in question. If you can't get access to the 4th edition player's handbook, it might help to play around with the demo of the character builder. I've also heard that the Penny Arcade podcasts might give you a basic idea of how a session plays out (I'm planning on listening to them myself, I don't have a lot of experience running 4E). I can also answer questions or just work with people to build a character!

Character Builder Demo (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new/tool/characterbuilder)
Podcasts (http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4pod/20080530)

pence
10-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Updated list of people interested in exploring the mysterious places hidden in The Forest:

dussssstin
Alpha Wolf
TirMcDohl
Red Hedgehog
namelessentity
Buge

(Removed Karzac and Comb Stranger, can't run MapTool/make Wednesdays)

Alpha Werewolf
10-30-2010, 02:07 AM
Updated list of people interested in exploring the mysterious places hidden in The Forest:

dussssstin
Alpha Wolf
TirMcDohl
Red Hedgehog
namelessentity
Buge

(Removed Karzac and Comb Stranger, can't run MapTool/make Wednesdays)

I need to know precisely when on wednsdays, by the way, because I'm not in the U.S.

Mightyblue
10-30-2010, 02:10 AM
I'd be interested in this. I've always wanted to play D&D with people who aren't high schoolers obsessed with metagaming. And I'm even free on pretty much any Wed!

namelessentity
10-30-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm free after 7pm -6GMT, for consideration purposes

BŁge
10-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Hm

It looks like I'm going to be working until 930PM on Wednesday. Will that be a problem?

pence
11-01-2010, 08:19 PM
I'll add you in, too, Mightyblue.

Here's how I stand on the time thing:

My availability to run a game begins 7:00PM EST on Wednesdays, and covers the six hours after that. Eastern is -5 UTC/GMT, so right now we have namelessentity who can start an hour after 7PM EST, and BŁge who can start two and a half hours after 7PM EST.

I feel like the sweet spot for roleplaying sessions is about four hours long - gives people enough time to get into the story, do some encounters, take breaks, and goof off without dragging on too long. Of course, I also don't know how much time people want to dedicate on Wednesday evenings, and 9:30PM - 12:30AM would still be enough time to set the mood, establish a scene, get one or two encounters, and then get to sleep for work, at least for me. If possible, I'd rather start earlier in the evening, but I'll wait to hear what people think.

Mightyblue
11-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Most of the time I should be fine by 7:30/8 EST.

Red Hedgehog
11-01-2010, 10:39 PM
I feel like the sweet spot for roleplaying sessions is about four hours long - gives people enough time to get into the story, do some encounters, take breaks, and goof off without dragging on too long.

I agree, but in my experience running a game online take more time than running one in person (something like 1.25 to 1.5 times as much).

Of course, I also don't know how much time people want to dedicate on Wednesday evenings, and 9:30PM - 12:30AM would still be enough time to set the mood, establish a scene, get one or two encounters, and then get to sleep for work, at least for me. If possible, I'd rather start earlier in the evening, but I'll wait to hear what people think.

Obviously, I'd rather include people than not, but I'd also prefer to end by midnight EST.

pence
11-02-2010, 09:49 AM
For now I'm going to say 8:00PM EST, starting next Wednesday. Sorry BŁge, but I feel like waiting an extra 90 minutes would end up causing games to stretch a bit too far into the early hours of the morning for a weeknight. I could take a character and work them in as an npc, though :[

And it would be a good time to start thinking about a character! Level 1 character using 22 point buy, for those who know what they're doing. I have some initial campaign notes (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=888535&postcount=191) if you want concepts, and I'd be okay with pretty much any race/class from the three PHBs, except the psionic ones. If you're totally unfamiliar with 4th edition, here's a rundown of the combat roles (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=889373&postcount=204), and the easiest way to get started making a character without access to the books is to use the character builder (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new/tool/characterbuilder). Hopefully someone who has experience can break the ice and generate a character sheet!

BŁge
11-02-2010, 10:18 AM
B-but my character was going to be a Wizard that used Ghost Sound and Prestidigitation to tell stories Scheherezade-style!

:C

Alpha Werewolf
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Well, I had a character ready, but it seems I won't be able to participate in any evening meetups of you US guys - 8 PM EST is 3 AM GMT+2.

Enjoy yourselves, though. Setting sounds great, and I fully expect to be reading logs of your adventures.

Knight
11-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Well crap, I could have sworn I posted this last week, but my wife is getting back in to town this Thursday, so I won't be able to make it this week. But on the plus side, my rolls are so frequently terrible that you probably don't even need to have someone play as me, and you won't notice much a difference!

Red Hedgehog
11-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Hmm... I kind of wanted to be a fisherman's son but it doesn't look like we're anywhere near the coast. There wouldn't happen to be a small fishing village along the lake, would there? (I guess I could just be a farmer's son, but that's boring).

pence
11-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Hmm... I kind of wanted to be a fisherman's son but it doesn't look like we're anywhere near the coast. There wouldn't happen to be a small fishing village along the lake, would there? (I guess I could just be a farmer's son, but that's boring).

Falcon's Hollow could definitely support a fisherman or ten. The population is just over 1500, and the village sits on the bank of the River Foam. As a highway, the river is nearly useless, due to dangerous rapids downriver, and the Gold Falls upriver. However, the same traits that make the river difficult for boats are a boon for fishermen. During spring and autumn, silver-flanked salmon swim up-river to the falls, making catching them as easy as hanging your net off of a boat or barge. These hauls of fish could be hawked to the common people in Low Market. Reefclaws, though rare, could be sold in High Market for a decent price. It would be sufficient to sustain a fisherman, if only barely.

Although the Lumber Consortium is by far the largest employer of the people of Falcon's Hollow, only a fraction of the village has any direct connection to the organization. Like any village, there are farmers, smiths, and carpenters. The only difference is that they have to live with Thuldrin Kreed's bullying nearly every day. It should be noted that even though he is not the mayor of Falcon's Hollow, the power he exerts through his connections to the Consortium and the wealth he commands is absolute. He can murder those who anger him in broad daylight with impunity. You have never seen it happen, but people still tell stories of the sort of things he did years ago.

Mightyblue
11-03-2010, 12:44 AM
I was thinking of rolling a spellblade out of the FR sourcebook (or at least that's what the official chargen says)? If that's okay, I was thinking of a background sort of like this:

[Insert Name here (heh, haven't thought of one yet)] hails out of Olfden from a family with a long history of soldiering. Unfortunately for [name], he was also born with a quick wit and an aptitude for magic, and since his father was a firm believer in making the most of a person's talents, shipped [name] off to one of the city magi to learn how to defend the city walls in a slightly different way.

This, to put it mildly, is not what [name] wanted for himself, and as soon as he grew old enough and saved up enough money for some basic supplies, [name] bid farewell to his master and Olfden and tramped off into the wilderness to figure out just what he wanted to do, and has been wandering the Vale ever since.

Years of traveling the Vale and varied attempts to unify his family's traditional military training with the arcane fundamentals his master taught him have led him to what he believes is a more or less unique fighting style blending steel and sorcery. While his training and travels have honed his mind and body, he still has the social graces of a jagged bit of stone mostly due to his taciturn nature and lack of regular contact with people.

pence
11-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Swordmages are fine with me! Swordmages in 4th edition can be interesting to play in combat, since you get a few variations on marking and punishing guys with spell damage. And one of their at-wills is death grip:

Lightning Lure
You lasso your foe with a leash of lightning and pull it into range of your blade.
At-Will Arcane, Implement, Lightning
Standard Action Ranged 3
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier lightning damage, and you pull the target to the nearest unoccupied space adjacent to you.
Increase damage to 2d6 + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.
Special: If you cannot pull the target to an adjacent square, this power fails and deals no damage.

Comb Stranger
11-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Or if you're our spellblade, you will insist on trying to use it like a magical batman grappling hook.

pence
11-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Or if you're our spellblade, you will insist on trying to use it like a magical batman grappling hook.

I'm still wondering how he's going to turn the Pathfinder Magus into Batman.

Mightyblue
11-03-2010, 01:15 PM
I...honestly hadn't thought about that, lol. I guess you end up making Batman at 3 AM in the morning when you're trying to think of an interesting character background. XD

pence
11-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I...honestly hadn't thought about that, lol. I guess you end up making Batman at 3 AM in the morning when you're trying to think of an interesting character background. XD

Well, your idea isn't Batmannish, if that's what you're worried about. But the same player Comb was talking about did make Batman for one of Paizo's published Adventure Paths, which happens to introduce Batman as a major NPC. It is the Tale of Two Goddamn Batmans.

Mightyblue
11-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Man, I really wish you could easily control what space the lasso pulls a mob into. I keep thinking of shenaniganry with cliffs and traps. :3

Mightyblue
11-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Also, some hunting around for more details on the swordmage class results in chunks of it distributed across two or three source books plus Dragon tidbits, wth?

Crested Penguin
11-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Swordmage was introduced in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. Additional feats, powers, and one (lame) build were added in Arcane Power. You can make a legitimately awesome swordmage from FRPG stuff, arcane power is just extra, though some of the options really help.

Swordmage is fun as hell - you can teleport all over, you're tough so you can afford to be a bit reckless, and you can put your enemies in hilarious catch-22 situations by using your aegis and then keeping them at a distance.

Ruik
11-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I'm playing a swordmage in the Thurs night group, and it's a ton of fun. I went straight up stormsoul genasi and took every power related to thunder and lightning (or teleportation). I teleport all over the place, and have pulled mobs into chasms and traps. It's really fun.

Lucas
11-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Well crap, I could have sworn I posted this last week, but my wife is getting back in to town this Thursday, so I won't be able to make it this week. But on the plus side, my rolls are so frequently terrible that you probably don't even need to have someone play as me, and you won't notice much a difference!

Do you have an updated character sheet available somewhere, just in case someone does want to play as you?

Ruik
11-04-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't see anyone else on skype, or the maptool server up. Did I mix up the times or something?

Googleshng
11-04-2010, 05:13 PM
No, I'm just having a crazy stressful day and only just got to the computer. In fact, honestly, I hate saying this after missing last week, but I am seriously not up for it tonight. Sorry.

Ruik
11-04-2010, 05:15 PM
No worries, gives me more time to work on this lab report due tomorrow. See you guys next week.

Lucas
11-04-2010, 05:16 PM
It's cool. This'll allow me to, say, work on my LP a little more, and get a real dinner instead of (or in addition to) the big bowl of popcorn I'm currently eating.

Destil
11-04-2010, 05:39 PM
It's cool, I was most likely going to have to miss this one again, anyway. Damn I'm lame.

(Guess who got called seven times last night to fix robots while on call? Guess...)

pence
11-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Another update, here's the people who have recently expressed interest in starting a game at 8:00PM EST on Wednesdays.

Red Hedgehog
Mightyblue
namelessentity

BŁge says she would have to start at 9:30. If I don't get enough interest from other people I can push the start time back, but I'd rather get started earlier.

Here are other people who said they might want to play but I haven't heard from in a while.

dussssstin
TirMcDohl

As for you guys in the other game, how are you managing things online? Skype or Ventrilo? MapTool? Anything else? I don't mind if people don't have mics, but I definitely can't run a game without hamming it up a bit.

And of course, I'm still accepting people interested in playing some 4E D&D! The plan is to start this coming Wednesday, the 10th.

Crested Penguin
11-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Skype/Maptools is how I roll. I suggest having a connection test before the game if possible, since people often get tangled up setting up maptool servers, usually due to port forwarding business (protip: the "test connection" button in maptool hasn't worked reliably for a long time and broke my server last time I used it).

You don't really need anything besides a Skype and Maptool, but you might eventually want to adopt a campaign framework in Maptool. Campaign frameworks are a set of properties and macros to customize Maptool for the game system you are running, and generally add in things like character sheets, condition management, HP tracking, etc. All of them have a learning curve, though, which is why you may want to keep it simple the first time you play.

My favorite framework right now is Rumble's Slim framework (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15488). Rumble also wrote an ambitious framework (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16415) that automates attack resolution and condition duration, but I found this level of automation to result in a lot of lag. Veggiesama's Framework (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16429) is well-maintained as well, though I can't really speak to its pros or cons since the last time I used it was before it underwent major revision.

pence
11-05-2010, 01:36 PM
My favorite framework right now is Rumble's Slim framework (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15488). Rumble also wrote an ambitious framework (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16415) that automates attack resolution and condition duration, but I found this level of automation to result in a lot of lag. Veggiesama's Framework (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16429) is well-maintained as well, though I can't really speak to its pros or cons since the last time I used it was before it underwent major revision.

I had started making tokens and maps on the big, fat Rumble's framework, but I don't imagine it would be difficult to recreate or import the maps for the slim framework. I also must have set something up wrong, because striker bonus damage wasn't being applied correctly.

As far as the creation of PC tokens, is this generally handled by the GM/host? How about using these tokens across multiple maps while retaining HP and daily powers? Ctrl+C Ctrl+V?

Crested Penguin
11-05-2010, 05:56 PM
I had started making tokens and maps on the big, fat Rumble's framework, but I don't imagine it would be difficult to recreate or import the maps for the slim framework. I also must have set something up wrong, because striker bonus damage wasn't being applied correctly.

As far as the creation of PC tokens, is this generally handled by the GM/host? How about using these tokens across multiple maps while retaining HP and daily powers? Ctrl+C Ctrl+V?

Maptool recently got an export/import map feature which is a godsend if you decide to swap. The tokens wouldn't function, so depending on how much work you put into that already you might want to wait to switch.

I teach my players to make their own tokens (which is a lot easier than it used to be thanks to the copy/paste parser in the rumble frameworks), and expect them to keep their stuff up-to-date. It's better to have them know how to add in things as they level up so you can save that time and apply it towards making cool adventures.

Cut/Paste tokens is the standard way to move between maps. There are a few macro/property setups out there that can be dropped in to give players control over swapping maps, and I use one of them, but I can't figure out where I found it :/

Mightyblue
11-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Alright, I haven't gotten around to installing and fiddling with maptool or skype yet, but here's my character pence (it's in the official chargen filetype).

pence
11-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Beep beep! It's Monday, and I'm still planning on running a game on Wednesday. Mightyblue has a character sheet, and Red Hedgehog has floated his idea for a character, but I haven't heard from namelessentity, or anyone else yet. BŁge, you should definitely have a character ready to go in case we only end up with two other players, then at least we could have three characters to make a solid party. I'm more interested in entertaining some players for a little bit each week than not playing at all. Still entertaining submissions if you're interested in a Wednesday night game!

Anyway, bear with me, since it's going to be a new group, and I'm not used to running games online. During our Pathfinder session this week, we spent three hours without anyone having to draw their weapons, but it's probably easiest to assume there will be a bit more combat for a bunch of unfamiliar people. I'm going to go by feel, and it should be exciting, either way.

Red Hedgehog
11-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I actually haven't had access to books or the character generator since I made my initial floating character background post. I have his background mostly written up, but there are blanks to fill in as I'm trying to decide between Invoker, Shaman, Sorcerer, or Warlock (or maybe Wizard). I'll have books tomorrow and make my final decisions then. Or if I'm feeling up to it, I could boot into Windows tonight to use the character generator.

namelessentity
11-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Sorry, I've been totally ignoring the forums this past week. I'm going to start looking into it tonight

namelessentity
11-08-2010, 08:08 PM
So I just played around with the character builder for a while and came up with this character that I think would be fun to play as. I have no idea what background to give him to justify his existence. What are the equipment restrictions and what would you recommend?

pence
11-09-2010, 07:02 AM
It looks good to me! You've got all the equipment you'd need to be functional - the armor you're proficient with (being a sorcerer, you're going to be squishy) and an implement to cast your spells with (the staff). I find it easiest to assume that every character will prepare basic provisions, like rations, a bedroll, etc. before setting off on any sort of adventure. Sunrods, torches and the like are always useful if there's no wizard to cast light, or if the wizard suffers an unfortunate accident.

Anyway, it's good to have a character who is good at blowing things up. Since you're just feeling it out, I won't have a problem if you want to switch some things around once or twice, if you find anything totally unworkable. PHB2 wasn't out when my group played 4E, so I haven't seen a Sorcerer in action before, but it looks like you can make a fun character with the wild magic source.

edit: I'll try and grab everyone on skype later today. Not sure whether I should make a new username, since my current one is about 100% work colleagues. Maybe see if I can successfully run a Maptool server, too. Here's the party so far:

Mightyblue, Rhynn, level 1 Human Swordmage (The one who gets punched)
namelessentity, Kairon, level 1 Tiefling Sorcerer (The one who punches... with magic)
Red Hedgehog, TBD

I like the idea of these arcane guys being the latest in the slow march of adventurers passing through Falcon's Hollow looking for adventure and excitement, and Red Hedgehog being the fisherman's son that ends up chaperoning them.

namelessentity
11-09-2010, 07:40 AM
namelessentity, Kairon, level 1 Tiefling Sorcerer (The one who punches... with magic)

I whole-heartily approve of your description of my character.

I've always been a fan of the sorcerer class in computer games so I figured I'd give it a shot.

BŁge
11-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Beep beep! It's Monday, and I'm still planning on running a game on Wednesday. Mightyblue has a character sheet, and Red Hedgehog has floated his idea for a character, but I haven't heard from namelessentity, or anyone else yet. BŁge, you should definitely have a character ready to go in case we only end up with two other players, then at least we could have three characters to make a solid party. I'm more interested in entertaining some players for a little bit each week than not playing at all. Still entertaining submissions if you're interested in a Wednesday night game!

Whoa, wait, what? I thought you rejected my application on the grounds of schedule conflict.

pence
11-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Whoa, wait, what? I thought you rejected my application on the grounds of schedule conflict.

I wasn't sure if namelessentity was going to come through before Wednesday or not. My thinking is that I'd rather start late than run with just two people. I don't mean to string you along or anything, but it does look like we'll get at least three people, at this point. :[

Lucas
11-09-2010, 10:25 AM
My thinking is that I'd rather start late than run with just two people.

I wouldn't want to encourage you against including everyone you can in your game - the more people playing tabletop games the better, I say! - but I have to say that one of the most enjoyable campaigns I ever played was a Star Wars Saga Edition with only two PCs. The two of us were partners, a team with the kind of cohesion I've never seen in any other game I've played.

I'm fully willing to admit the common thread between the games mentioned in that last sentence there is me being a part of the game.

Comb Stranger
11-09-2010, 11:26 AM
We used to play a two-man buddy team. It was an invincible viking and a psychic toad. That was back when you could really break the game, though.

pence
11-09-2010, 11:34 AM
We used to play a two-man buddy team. It was an invincible viking and a psychic toad. That was back when you could really break the game, though.

Garbles and Hypnotoad were unstoppable 3.5 characters. But they never managed to do anything quite as epic as killing the iconics Tordek, Jozan, Lidda, and Mialee singlehandedly. No, that was Flynn the Gnoll, sole survivor of the Bodak's death gaze, and only guy who was able to run away fast enough to avoid the icy death that razed the Duchy of Urnst.

Sorry, it wouldn't be a D&D thread if we weren't nerding out about old characters.