PDA

View Full Version : Trail of Cthulhu – The Murderer of Thomas Fell


Pages : [1] 2

sraymonds
09-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Poetfox – Dilettante Jan Joyce-Cleveland
Shivam – Detective Norman Wright
Kaisel – Doctor Roger Fell
Lucas – Professor Knox Makepeace
Falselogic – Artist Kenneth Fell


It has been seventeen days since anyone has heard from Thomas Fell. Numerous calls have gone unanswered and his mail continues to pile up. No lights are seen inside after dark.

Another unanswered phone call. Jan Joyce-Cleveland begins to fear the worst. Has he been hurt? Has he run off? What happened to the men hired for the expedition? Worried for Thomas Fell, she places a call to Professor Knox Makepeace.

Thomas wanted Makepeace on the expedition. As they met for lunch to discuss Thomas’s plans, Makepeace was disturbed by Thomas’s behavior. He was overly paranoid. Any slight against him was magnified by ten. He cared for nothing but the expedition. In the end, Thomas stormed off, leaving Makepeace wondering what could have changed him. When Joyce-Cleveland called asking if he had heard from Thomas, he became concerned and contacted a friend of Thomas, Detective Norman Wright.

Years ago, Thomas Fell had helped Detective Wright solve a case involving antique theft. Ever since then, the two have kept in touch, sharing a lunch together now and then and swapping stories. When Professor Makepeace called him and said that Thomas Fell was missing, Detective Wright would use all his resources to make sure his friend was all right. During his inquiries, he somehow drew the attention of Thomas Fell’s sons, Roger and Kenneth Fell.

Roger Fell. The successful doctor. Kenneth Fell. The struggling artist. When they heard that their father was missing, they both volunteered to help search for him. They did not volunteer out of some familial duty; no, they agreed out of guilt. It’s been months since either had spoken to their father. Embarrassment sets in when they are not the first to notice that Thomas Fell is missing.

Calls are placed and plans are made. Now, the five stand outside the house. The five want answers. They want to know what happened to Thomas Fell.

Lucas
09-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Well, I like history. I think back on everything I've done with Thomas, trying to come up with any precedents for his strange behavior and disappearance.

poetfox
09-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't guess this is something that actually came up in the other thread... can we agree on OOC like this, and in character in quotes, like sraymonds is doing up there? I think that's a good plan. Anyway...

Jan looked not at the house, but at the others gathered, taking a long drag on her cigarette to attempt to calm her agitation. She keeps her distance for the time being, sizing everyone up.

"So, I assume one of you has a plan?"

shivam
09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
great idea, poet.

Norman checked out the house before him. "The first thing we should do is figure out if anyone has entered, or tried to enter this place unlawfully. Hold on a moment while I investigate."

Checking for fingerprints and stuff on the door.

sraymonds
09-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Detective Wright finds plenty of fingerprints. However, unless he leaves and heads back to the station, there wouldn't be a way to see who those fingerprints belong to. They could all belong to Thomas Fell!

During his examination of the door, he doesn't find any signs of forced entry.

kaisel
09-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I might not be around a lot today/tonight (have my weekly D&D game, and I'm at work at the moment), but the next few days will be a little better for me.


Roger sighed, and looked at the assembled group, and tries to hide his embarrassment as the investigator looked at the door.

"I'm sure my father is fine, probably just got a little too engrossed in his collection and stopped contacting people. I mean, there hasn't been anything else to indicate that something bad happened? Right?"

Falselogic
09-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Seeing as this is my father's house

Kenneth looks under the mat or underneath a rock, wherever his dad left the spare key. Keeping an eye out for any noticable changes to the exterior of the house since he was last here. He asks his brother when the last time it was he talked to their father. Wondering himself when he talked with him last...

Besides his brother he wonders what all these other people are doing here and what trouble they might have got his father into.

sraymonds
09-08-2010, 04:19 PM
To Kenneth, nothing about the house's exterior looks any different from when you were here last, which was several months ago.

As you lift up the door mat, you see the key tucked underneath it.

poetfox
09-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Jan rolls her eyes a bit at Norman's plan, before sweeping her cigarette towards Roger, gesturing to him. "Well, he stopped going on and on to me about said collection, that's cause enough to worry about him, I suppose... and the collection... not like him to stop when he had something... interesting."

She looks to Kenneth, seeing him with the key. "Ah, excellent. Let's get inside." She glances to Norman. "Unless we need to put up some crime scene tape or follow this or that silly protocol first I suppose."

Falselogic
09-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Kenneth asks Jan as he unlocks the door, ignoring the investigator, "what collection? What did he get his hands on now?" Holding the door open for everyone he looks around the entryway for anything that looks amiss.

sraymonds
09-09-2010, 09:29 AM
The lock clicks and the door swings open as Kenneth turns the key, confirming that yes, the door was locked. With Kenneth holding the door open, do y'all want to enter the house in any order?So I know what order the monster eats everyone in.

kaisel
09-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Well, seeing as I'm apparently the first to respond, and it's my father's house...

Roger heads to the door first, brushing past his brother, glancing around the entryway. "As I said before, I'm sure father is just holed up in his room. Probably forgot how much time has passed. Still though, anything else odd, besides the collection? Have you found anything out, detective?"

Lucas
09-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Knox is worried for his friend, but also a bit worried about himself - this a strange business, after all. He waits for the detective to enter before him.

shivam
09-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Unholstering his gun, Norman followed into the house.

poetfox
09-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Tossing the remains of her cigarette to the side and deciding it would be best to be behind the person with the gun, Jan follows Norman in while responding to Roger's query in a completely unhelpful manner.

"Well, I'm sure you knew your father. I'd be more concerned if there wasn't something else odd, personally. Not keeping me up to date with what's going on was the most normal problem I've ever had with him. Thus, concern. Which spiraled out of control to lead to this little expedition. Thanks for that, by the way, Knox." She waves back at him sarcastically as she crosses the threshold.

She steps to the side after walking in, so as not to block the doorway, and taking a look around the interior of the building, to see if it matched up to what kind of life she always imagined Fell lead in his spare time.

sraymonds
09-09-2010, 01:08 PM
An empty hallway greets the investigators as they pass through the door. There are stairs that lead to the upper floor. To your left, the living room. To your right is what looks to be a den. At the end of the hallway, there is a closed door next to the entrance to the kitchen.

A fine dust fills the air and seems to have settled on every surface.


God that's so poorly written.

Falselogic
09-09-2010, 01:53 PM
No point wasting anytime poking around the house. If dad is anywhere here he's in his study and if he's not here clues will surely be there, Please be here dad. "His office is back this way" Kenneth proclaims as he closes the door and walks down the hall

I'm assuming the closed door leads to the study, if it doesn't then I lead them to wherever his study/office is

Lucas
09-09-2010, 02:12 PM
mean things to Knox

"Well, if you'd rather I just didn't call people to help find out where Thomas is...." Makepeace lingers to look into the den while considering where his old friend Thomas would keep anything illicit.

sraymonds
09-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Falselogic
Kenneth opens the door to reveal a cramped, dusty bathroom.

Lucas
The den is dark and musty. Except for one wood-burning fireplace, bookshelves line the walls, blocking out the windows. The floors are covered with various stacks of paper; newspapers, invoices, maps, report, etc. A roll-top desk sits in the corner nearest the entrance. On it lies Thomas’s camera, some photos, and some ledgers.

shivam
09-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Norm was baffled to see everyone going every which way without any consideration towards the nature of the investigation.
"Folks, we can't go off splitting the group like this. This is a potential crime scene, and if you disturb everything in sight, we'll never find out what happened to Thomas here. Can we stop for a moment and strategize?"

poetfox
09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Jan takes a step over towards Knox, in a supposed attempt to make the conversation more private. The volume of her voice doesn't really lower along with this move, however. "Basically, yes. I said I'd handle it, if you recall. I had a plan. I always have a plan. Unknowns complicate the plan. I barely know OF these people. Hell, I barely can say I know you, Knox. I mean, I thought my father had put some trust in you for a reason, but... well..."

She sighs and shrugs. She was letting herself get worked up.

She turns to Norman. "Yes, thank you. We need to be careful not to disturb any... evidence... or anything he might have been be working on."

She hesitates, unsure what she wants to say for a moment.

"Also, last I heard, he had four guests. Business associates for something we were working on together. Haven't heard from them either, so... you know. We should probably be on the look out for them, too."

shivam
09-09-2010, 02:49 PM
also, what tense are we doing this in? when i play by post, it tends to be past tense. poetfox's style is...unnerving a bit.

poetfox
09-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Oh, I can switch to past tense. Heh, I wasn't thinking about that. When I do things like this online, I normally use a present tense to kind of indicate that, you know, I should be interacting, so what I'm doing is in progress and not completely set in stone if someone wants to stop me or something, you know? Doesn't bother me at all to switch or anything.

sraymonds
09-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm fine with whatever tense y'all feel like using.

Since the investigation has started, I'd like everyone to start declaring if they're using a skill. I want to see how that goes.

kaisel
09-09-2010, 03:10 PM
I can use what tense everyone else is using, though at this rate, I'm going to be switching tenses mid-sentence. I'm assuming I've been here before, is there a skill check I can make to give a real basic overview of the house? Like, describing what general area each room is in?


Roger stopped after Detective Wright made his plea. "Right, investigation," he muttered under his breath. Then said louder, "What sort of things should we do to start here then, detective? I'm afraid I know what to do if someone's injured, but this is my first foray into police work. If I get together with Kenneth, we might be able to give an overview of this place, though, I at least, haven't been here in a while. Though..." He turned to his brother investigating the bathroom, and sighed.

"We can give it a shot at any rate."

Lucas
09-09-2010, 03:14 PM
I'll try to use past tense, but years of RPing online have put me solidly into present tense mode when I play. I'm action-ing, not past-ing.

"Your father. Who... you know what, nevermind. I'm more concerned with my missing friend right now." Makepeace turned to the detective. "I'd suggest we start here, Detective Wright. I'm sure we can suss out something from Thomas' papers."

Makepeace will be investigating using History, to see if anything catches his eye or seems important. Eventually. After the officer lets him.

sraymonds
09-09-2010, 03:40 PM
kaisel
The sons know that that the downstairs consists of the living room, den, bathroom, kitchen, stairs to cellar. Upstairs is the master bedroom and master bath.

Well, Roger knows.

Lucas w/ History
Having seen all the artifacts Thomas Fell has collected over the years, you notice that Thomas has taken all of his Pre-Columbian American artifacts out of storage and has them displayed on every stable surface he could find.

kaisel
09-09-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm sorry if I'm posting kind of a lot at the moment, and I'm not trying to rush anyone, I just have a little bit of free time right now, so my posting should slow down from here on out (I'm also psyched to be playing this).


"Well, if we want to start down here, there's a couple of places to look, the living room's that way, over there's the kitchen, there's the den, and there's a cellar somewhere in that direction, I think. And the bathroom, thanks Kenneth. And then upstairs is the bedroom and bath, which I think we should start looking, but I'll defer to the detective." Roger finished his brief overview, and turned to look at the surroundings, to see if he can dredge up any clues, hoping to appease the detective, so they can check upstairs.


Roger will be investigating, using Forensics, if that works, trying to find signs of a scuffle or something like that.

sraymonds
09-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Roger will be investigating, using Forensics, if that works, trying to find signs of a scuffle or something like that.

What room are you in?

kaisel
09-09-2010, 04:45 PM
What room are you in?

The den, probably trailing in after Makepeace.

sraymonds
09-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Kaisel
The room is a mess, but it's more of an organized mess. No signs of foul play in this room.

Falselogic
09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Kenneth will follow them into the den after using the bathroom

Kenneth takes a look at the film and the camera, being careful not to expose it if it hasn't been treated yet

He'll use his photography skill to either interpret/develop the film

sraymonds
09-09-2010, 06:50 PM
falselogic
Some of the photographs depict a rocky landscape. Several of them are focused on a tall obelisk that's covered with strange glyphs.

One photo shows Thomas with four other men; two plain white man, a tall man with a prominent mustache, and a young Asian man standing in front of some odd stones. As you focus on this picture, you notice that they all seem to be standing on tile.

falselogic: If you spend 2 points in Architecture, you may notice something others may not.

Falselogic
09-09-2010, 06:57 PM
I'll spend the two points. Do I need to keep track of this or will you?

"Anyone here know anything about dead languages?" Kenneth asks as he flips through the photos pointing to the glyphs in the pictures? "or any idea where these might have been taken?"

sraymonds
09-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I'll track it.

falselogic:
Having been in the cramped bathroom and now being in the den, you can tell that something's off in this room. One of the rooms should be larger than they actually are. Something with the fireplace just seems a bit out of place.

Lucas
09-09-2010, 07:13 PM
"Let me see those pictures," Knox said. "Thomas seems to have gotten out and displayed all his pre-Columbian artifacts here, even things I know were in storage for years. The pictures may be connected."

Can Makepeace make pieces sense of any of the pics?

sraymonds
09-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Lucas
Using Art History, you notice that the obelisk is a strange mix of styles. The obelisk has an almost Egyptian shape but it's covered in Pre-Columbian, Incan-looking glyphs.

poetfox
09-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Following the men into the den, she looked around, obviously a bit on edge from Knox's talk, but not seeing anything that catches her eye... until she gets a glance at the picture Knox had been studying for a short time, that of the Obelisk.

"Woah, woah, hold on." She walked over, quickly snatching the photo from the man's grip. "Got to get this in the right hands..."

I want to use both my personal history (How do you do that?) to pull what I know about these pictures, and throw some Occult on these glyphs more specifically.

sraymonds
09-09-2010, 07:48 PM
poetfox
You know the men's names but without ever actually meeting them, the only one you can identify is Wu Han. The other names you know are Franco Gruber, Jules Farquarson, and James Kellerman.

As for the glyphs, you don't recognize them.

kaisel
09-09-2010, 10:16 PM
"They're just ancient writings, how could this have anything to do with father disappearing?" Roger paced, letting the others investigate the pictures and room. "Wonder what current thing father was interested," he muttered, going to look at the newspapers, and trawl through some of the other papers.


Roger will start looking through the newspapers, trying to find any articles about pre-Columbian artifacts or shows. Is there a skill I should use here?

Lucas
09-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Makepeace quirked an eyebrow at Jan. "Learning anything from that picture?"

He turned to Roger. "That thing they're standing in front of makes no sense. That might be an Egyptian obelisk, but the markings look like Incan glyphs. Archaeologists don't like artifacts that mix cultures like that."

I get the feeling Knox and Jan got off on the wrong foot :(

I almost made an Indiana Jones reference here before remembering he wouldn't exist in Lovecraft's universe.

shivam
09-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Norman decided to head upstairs to the bedroom to see if there was any sign of conflict.

poetfox
09-10-2010, 05:01 AM
Heh, well, my interpretation of her back story kind of shows Knox screwing her over in her eyes. Even if it wasn't such an act in his perception.

She sighed and handed the picture back to Knox. "Nope. Still, those are likely the four guests I was talking about. So they were all together at some point... but where was this taken? Don't suppose anyone recognizes it?"

She turned to the ledgers on the desk. "That'd be too easy, of course."

I'm going to use my Accounting-Fu on the ledgers, receipts, and such in the room. I'm going to look for anything I'd find strange for what I know Fell was doing, or that I'd disapprove of, at least. Especially spending for travel that might clue me in to that location.

In addition, just a general question. I'm horrible with time periods and what was available then. Would they have a camera with a timer in this time period? Or would there have to have been a 6th person behind the camera to take that group shot? I guess that could use my Photography, but it seems like a common sense thing too.

sraymonds
09-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Kaisel – it would be the Library Use skill.
You can’t really tell what your dad was looking for but it all seems to center around South America.

Poetfox
The tiles in the photo look out of place. Too…modern.

As you pore over the ledger, you can see that Thomas has tapped his savings to fund this expedition. Camping gear, a shotgun, plane tickets, and two grand that was to be converted into various South American currencies. Those checks you’ve been writing him helped pay for everything.

I’m not sure if cameras had timers back then but I will tell you that Thomas only mentioned four other people in the expedition.

Shivam
You are thunderstruck as you step through the doorway to the master bedroom. Or, rather, what’s left of the master bedroom.

Shivam, would you kindly make an Athletics check for me?

shivam
09-10-2010, 09:16 AM
ok, I'm gonna spend 3 points of my 12 for this roll.

official wotc dice roller gives me a 1d6(4)+3 for a total 7.

sraymonds
09-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Shivam
Detective Wright’s keen reflexes keep him from falling into the kitchen below. Nothing but the walls remain of the master bedroom. Brownish vines originating from the kitchen have begun to spread throughout the bedroom. A dead tree trunk is poking through from below. Several dead tree branches seem embedded in the walls and are poking through the wallpaper.

shivam
09-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Norm quickly backed away, and ran back down the stairs.

"Holy Shit, guys! The bedroom is entirely gone, and all that is there are trees and plants! It seems to be coming from the kitchen, so let's check it out!"

He headed into the kitchen to take a look.

kaisel
09-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Roger dropped the articles he had been looking at, and stepped outside, to see Detective Wright rushing toward the kitchen. "Trees? Plants? The bedroom gone? Are you perfectly fine, Detective?" Roger followed, clutching his medical bag in case Detective Wright had somehow injured himself and was seeing impossible things.

Falselogic
09-10-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't recall Dad having any trees in the kitchen Kenneth thought to himself as he followed his brother out of the den...

shivam
09-10-2010, 10:37 AM
"Man, I know what I saw. There has to be some reasoning for all of this."

Lucas
09-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Realizing he's a bit useless at this biology thing but intrigued by the situation and assuming he could always go back to the den to continue his investigations, Makepeace followed Ken.

And that's it for me today. I have to hit up a job fair in Palmdale and won't be back until four PST at the very earliest; probably more like seven tonight.

sraymonds
09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
As you enter the kitchen, your eyes are drawn to the wall furthest from the entrance. The wall, or what’s left of it, is covered in these odd grayish stones. Bits of the plaster seem to have been removed, exposing the framework, giving you a nice peek into the living room. A dead tree trunk stretches from a mound of soil located in the kitchen and past the ceiling into the room upstairs.

There’s a door in the corner of the kitchen.

kaisel
09-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Roger heads to the dead trunk, after a passing glance at the detective to make sure there weren't any signs of a head wound, and then kneels near it, to look at it.


Roger would like to make a biology check on the tree, see if it's indigenous to the area, if that's acceptable, since I didn't see any botany or nature sort of skill. Though, I'd imagine that Roger's specialty would be more human biology so if he can't do it, that's cool.

sraymonds
09-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Kaisel – I’ll partially allow Biology.
You believe this tree is more likely to be found somewhere in South America.

kaisel
09-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Roger stepped away from the tree, confused, "Kenneth, do you have any idea why father would have a South American tree in his kitchen? Something to do with his collections by chance?"

poetfox
09-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Surprised he was pouring more than her funds into the project, Jan waited for a moment before responding to the shocked sounds coming from the other room. She headed to the kitchen, and gasped.

"Oh my... this... what?" She shook her head. "Why would anyone have a tree in their kitchen! Goodness."

I'll throw some Outdoorswoman at this tree. See if maybe I can understand why it's dead, besides the fact that it's attacking a house or whatnot. Also, to see if it could support someone's weight. Just in case something crazy needs to occur.

sraymonds
09-11-2010, 02:36 PM
As you examine the tree, you brush away some of the soil covering the roots. The majority of the roots have been torn away and are missing. The tree is not stable for climbing because the roots are not embedded into the tile floor below it.

Lucas
09-12-2010, 11:12 AM
"First Thomas has all his pre-Columbian artifacts on display. Then there's that obelisk covered with Incan glyphs in the pictures. Now there's... now we find a South American tree in his kitchen. There's got to be some connection."

sraymonds
09-12-2010, 11:26 AM
There's no one in the picture of the obelisk. Thomas and crew are standing in front of some strange rocks.

Lucas
09-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Oops. Comment edited to be more in line with reality (such as it is in Cthulhu game).

sraymonds
09-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Lucas, roll me a D6 and tell me what you get.

Lucas
09-12-2010, 12:10 PM
1d6=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2685102/)

sraymonds
09-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Lucas
The photo of the expedition group had them standing on tile, didn't it?

Lucas
09-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Struck by a memory of something he'd glimpsed, Knox examined the photo of Thomas and his expedition, paying close attention to the artifacts he could see under their feet.

I guess checking the tiles would be an art history check?

Man, I even thought about checking those tiles earlier. Can't remember how I justified to myself not looking at them....

sraymonds
09-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Or you could look at the kitchen floor.

shivam
09-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Norm looked at the floor to try to discern where the tree was coming from.

Lucas
09-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Makepeace squinted at the picture, then looked around the kitchen. He examined the floor and looked at the rocks in the walls. "Are those the same stones as in this picture?"

sraymonds
09-12-2010, 01:10 PM
shivam
The tile floor beneath the tree isn't damaged in the least. It's as if someone plucked the tree from it's natural habitat and placed it in Thomas's kitchen.

Lucas - Yes it is.

Lucas
09-12-2010, 01:20 PM
"They are the same stones. This is getting strange."

kaisel
09-12-2010, 06:07 PM
"Can you read any of the writing on that obelisk? Can anyone here read it? Otherwise it's an interesting thing to look at, but considering what's going on, I think I'd like to find father as quick as possible." Roger looks at the tile, a little unnerved. "Anyone heard of any similar stories about these odd stones?"

Falselogic
09-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Kenneth looks puzzled not quite sure what people are saying.. "Are you telling me that picture of my father in the jungle was taken here in his kitchen?! Why, what for, that doesn't make any sense at all! What was he doing for you two anyway?" he asks Jan and Makepeace

poetfox
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
"Doing for me, you mean. And from what I was reading in the other room, nothing he wouldn't be doing anyway."

She stepped back, still staring at the tree.

"Be careful around this thing. It's not really anchored to the ground. As is, though, we've found the location of one of the pictures. We should continue looking into the rest. Plenty of house left unsearched."

She walks over to the door in the corner of the kitchen and tries it.

sraymonds
09-13-2010, 04:40 PM
The doorway opens to reveal a set of stairs to the cellar.

Lucas
09-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Does my language skill cover Incan glyphs?

Falselogic
09-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Would I know what my dad usually keeps in the cellar?

sraymonds
09-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Lucas
Despite all your years in the field, you can't decipher the glyphs. They're very similar to Incan style writings but with enough different to make them a whole other language.

Falselogic
Storage of both everyday items and artifacts

EDIT:Of course, that was several months ago. Things may have changed since then.

poetfox
09-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Are there lights downstairs? Or am I descending dramatically into darkness? Because...
She peered inside the door and, seeing no immediate danger, slowly started her way down into the cellar.

sraymonds
09-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah, the stairs are lit and you can see a light coming from the cellar.

The cellar is little more than four unfinished walls and a ceiling that consists of cobwebbed pipes and the flooring above. An old workbench occupies one wall, filled with old tools and a dusty suitcase. Above the workbench is a birdcage, and inside is a rock about the size and shape of an ostrich egg. A rusted bicycle sits next to a ragged wooden door.

Lucas
09-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Knox hesitated about going down the stairs, muttering something about how Thomas was supposed to deal with these things.

shivam
09-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Norm's face twisted into a frown as he saw the commoners trying to investigate. "Alright, kids, time to get out of the way and let a professional take charge."

He headed down the stairs, gun at the ready. The first thing he did was check out the suitcase.

sraymonds
09-15-2010, 07:22 PM
shivam
One touch and the suitcase springs open, sending dust into the air.

It's empty and from the look of things, it hasn't been used in a while.

Falselogic
09-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Kenneth follows them down and pokes around looking at the cage and the rock/egg thinking he might recognize it

Use my geology skill?

sraymonds
09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
falselogic w/ Geology
You've never seen the rock before. The rock is the color of cement with raised lines going around it. The lines almost resemble runes of some sort. You're certain that those lines are not naturally occurring, because to make those marks something would have to be inside the rock.

If anyone wants to take the rock, they'll have to use 1 point in either Athletics or Craft to open the cage.

kaisel
09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
"I didn't think father was quite this forgetful," Roger said as he entered the dusty room. He stepped toward the egg/rock, and tries opening the cage, failing. "Anyone think this thing's worth taking?"

He turned to the detective, "Are we going to be dusting for fingerprints or anything?"


I don't have any points in athletics or craft, so I figure Roger just tinkers with it, but doesn't really try to open it really. Also, is the whole place sort of dusty, or only certain parts? Would it be easy to tell if someone was in here recently or not?

sraymonds
09-16-2010, 04:41 AM
kaisel
The only thing that has barely any dust on it is the cage and rock.

Falselogic
09-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Use craft on cage

Kenneth fiddles with the cage trying to open it to get a closer look at the rock

sraymonds
09-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Falselogic
After a few seconds of fiddling, the cage door opens.

By “taking a closer look” I’m assuming you’re picking up the rock?

Falselogic
09-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Kenneth picks up the rock and shakes it. "Anyone have any ideas what this is... cause I'm stumped

sraymonds
09-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Falselogic
The rock is about 10 pounds. It’s exterior feels a bit like cement. As you shake it about, you hear some liquid sloshing about inside. The raised marks catch your eye. It’s as if there’s a pattern in there but you can’t discern what it could be.

Falselogic
09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm pretty sure nothing good can come from Kenneth lugging this around... Should he break it guys?

kaisel
09-16-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm pretty sure nothing good can come from Kenneth lugging this around... Should he break it guys?

Roger probably doesn't want you too, but I'm curious, so I say go for it.

shivam
09-16-2010, 11:08 AM
i dont know that that's a particularly good idea, but why not.

Lucas
09-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Having finally come down the stairs, Makepeace was horrified at the thought of destroying the artifact (and the thought of what sort of thing would be inside). "Hold on! Destroying it should be the last thing we do. Let me look at it first, at least."

Knox wants to investigate the raised marks. I'm half expecting them to be constellations, but that might just be hopeful thinking that my astronomy skill gets some love.

sraymonds
09-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Lucas
Nothing. The lines don’t appear to be constellations or a star map. Despite looking like foreign runes, you’ve never come across these sort of markings during your studies in Anthropology. The marks could be naturally occurring.

Before Kenneth attempts to smash open the rock, we should see what poetfox wants. Everyone’s in the cellar, correct?

poetfox
09-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Jan thinks she sees something in Kenneth's eyes, and she doesn't like it. Not one bit. One doesn't get a return on investment by smashing things left and right.
"Makepeace is right. We want to keep evidence around, or we'll never find your father."

Falselogic
09-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Kenneth moves the stone back from one hand to the other contemplating the designs in it

Does my occult of 1 get me anywhere with this thing?

Also I might be post light this week seeing as I'm in NYC and dont have my normal access to a computer

sraymonds
09-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Falselogic
You've never heard or read about anything regarding this egg-shaped rock.

Lucas
09-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Assuming the "ragged wooden door" mentioned down here isn't the one back up....

"Well, there's not much in this room to investigate. Let's keep going."

Makepeace looked around for a moment to see if anyone else would do it first, then steeled himself and opened the wooden door despite his jittery nerves.

sraymonds
09-19-2010, 09:32 PM
On the other side of the door is a small storage room, dank and crowded. In the middle of the room is a four-foot stone, etched with strange glyphs, standing among a broken down crate piecewand packing material.

kaisel
09-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Roger followed Makepeace and looked into the storage room. "I don't suppose any of you know what those glyphs mean?" He headed to the broken crate, to see if it had some sort of address on it, or where it came from.

"Any chance that the pattern on the egg is connected to this rock?"

Lucas
09-20-2010, 01:17 AM
"Sadly, I haven't been able to read them yet. They look Incan, but they aren't." Makepeace held the egg next to the stone so they could be compared.

sraymonds
09-20-2010, 06:55 AM
kaisel
Roger discovers a packing slip within the remnants of the crate. The package was addressed to Thomas Fell from Jan Joyce-Cleveland.

Lucas w/ Art History and Anthropology
Professor Makepeace is correct in the glyphs looking but not being Incan. He also recognizes that the large rock to be a fragment of a larger standing stone, like a Viking stele or an Incan road marker.

kaisel
09-20-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm assuming we've all introduced ourselves to each other earlier...


Roger turned to Jan. "I presume you know something about... this?" He waved generally at the stone in the center. "Since you were the one to send this to him. What exactly were you two trying to do?"

poetfox
09-20-2010, 10:27 AM
She sighs and waves the accusation away. "Research, what else? I have a find, I send it to a knowledgeable party so that I can learn what I have. Your father seemed a likely candidate. It's just business."

Is the stone what I know was in the crate? I'm a bit confused from my background description, as it's not very specific. Still, I should be able to recognize it, yes?

sraymonds
09-20-2010, 10:31 AM
poetfox
The stone stele you sent Thomas sits in his basement. It looks like it's a bit chipped.

poetfox
09-20-2010, 10:48 AM
She approached the stone, gently running her hand over the chip in its surface. "Of course, if I knew he was going to treat it this way, maybe I would have chosen someone else."
She began to scan the room for the missing piece or pieces.

sraymonds
09-20-2010, 10:57 AM
B)
this is the evil keeper laugh

sraymonds
09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
As soon as Jan touched the stele, it began to thrum and electricity filled the air. A red light pulsed from the stele as it’s vibrations grew stronger. Brighter and brighter the light grew, until everyone in the room had to shield their eyes. And as sudden as the pulsing had begun, the stone grew dark.

Falselogic
09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Kenenth blinks back until his eyes readjust to the dim light after the flashing... "What the hell was that?! Is everyone all right?"

kaisel
09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Roger threw his arm across his eyes, to shield them from the bright light. "What the hell is going on?" He took a step back, and blinked furiously, to try to see if anyone was injured. "Anyone need help!?"

Lucas
09-21-2010, 01:31 AM
"I'm fine, just a little... dazed, I guess. I didn't expect that." Makepeace peered closely at the stele, but didn't get close. "Is this the same stone from the picture? It seems to be the same glyphs...."

shivam
09-21-2010, 09:54 AM
What the hell is going on? What is this room, and where the hell is Fell?

poetfox
09-22-2010, 04:43 AM
She stepped back from the stone, a bit shaken. She stood quietly, trying to regain her composure, taking a few deep breaths.

"Okay... well, in one piece, anyway..."

Something about Norman's words got her worrying, and she double-checked to make sure they were still in the basement.

sraymonds
09-22-2010, 05:27 AM
Now that everyone's had a chance to react...

As soon as Jan took a step backwards, the stele once again glowed a bright red before a red bolt of lightning shot out and hit her in the chest. As it hit her, there was a blinding flare of white light. Jan Joyce-Cleveland was gone and in her place was some rocks not unlike the ones found in the kitchen.

Before anyone could react, four bolts of red hot energy burst from the rock, hitting the rest of the group. As the bright light engulfed them, they all felt a burning sensation where the bolt hit them, as if they had burned themselves on a stove. Then they were falling.

One by one the investigators land on to the soft soil. Dazed from the impact, the investigators find themselves on a mountaintop covered with alien rocks. The obelisk looms before them.

Part two of the adventure begins!

kaisel
09-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Roger pushed himself up, and brushed the dirt off of him, and looked around the area. He turned to Jan, "Y-you... there was a rock... what...?" He shook his head, as if to clear it. "Where are we, and what the hell just happened?"

Lucas
09-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Makepeace groaned, but made no move to get up.

shivam
09-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Norm stood up, dusted himself off, and immediately pulled out his gun.

"Wherever we are, I'm going to guess it doesn't like us."

poetfox
09-22-2010, 03:19 PM
She stayed on the ground for a long while, trying to focus. Finally, she dusted herself off and stood up.
"Well, that's one mystery solved, anyway. Progress."

Falselogic
09-24-2010, 01:08 PM
"What just happened?! Where are we?" Kenneth gasped as he checked himself over, patting his body and such. Kenneth slowly rises and offers the remaining members on the ground help getting up... "Everyone okay?" Kenneth looks around trying to get some sense of where he is.

Kenneth uses his geology on the alien rocks

shivam
09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
i think i need some DM guidance to figure out what to do next.

sraymonds
09-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Sorry, I wanted everyone to get in a reaction before I started the scene.

You all find yourselves in a clearing on a mountaintop, scattered around the base of the obelisk from Thomas's photographs. It's markings resemble those of the stele found in the cellar.

The ground consists of loose gravel, and there are three pathways leading away from the obelisk. Vines cling to every surface. A frigid wind blows through cracks in the rock wall behind everyone.

Amidst the rocks and vegetation is Thomas Fell's kitchen. The cabinets have opened and spilled dishware out onto the gravel floor. The refrigerator leans against the kitchen island. The floor of the master bedroom has fallen and formed a makeshift roof for the kitchen. A bed, dresser, and ottoman have all slid down the floor and lay in a heap.

There are a pair of legs sticking out from behind the island.

falselogic w/ Geology
As you survey the area, you realize that you are in the Cordillera Blanca of the Andes, somewhere in Peru. The mountaintops of the Andes are frozen but the rocks before you don't belong. They are smooth like obsidian, colored like limestone, with porous areas like dried sponges.

The climate does not match this region. Why isn't there any snow?

shivam - loved your line about wherever not like y'all

kaisel
09-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Roger approached the island cautiously, to the legs, looking around in confusion. "I don't know what exactly's going on, but I can at least try to help someone..."


I'm assuming island is like a kitchen island, rather than an actual one. Roger would like to investigate with first aid or forensics, whichever is more suited (and if the person is alive, would like to patch him/her up).

sraymonds
09-27-2010, 03:38 PM
kaisel
Among the broken dishes is a body crumpled and bloody, its face shocked and pained. You recognize him as one of the white men from Thomas's photograph. With forensics, you see splatter patterns among the dishes that suggest not just stabbings but slashes. There's blood on the dishes that don't seem to have originated from the victim.

shivam
09-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Norm quickly hustled over, happy to see something 'normal' for a change. He tried to figure out how fresh the body was.

sraymonds
09-27-2010, 04:23 PM
shivam
The body looks to be about five days old.

EDIT
As the detective examines the body, he is able to tell that the cause of death was multiple stab wounds to the back, most likely by a small utility knife.

There's a trail of blood leading from the dishes into one of the paths.

Lucas
09-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Knox backed away from the corpse a step, then whirled around to be sure nothing was sneaking up behind him. "What... What caused that?"

I was double-checking Knox's sheet to see if any of his skills sounded useful right now and misread "stability" as "stabbity". I was a little sad when I corrected myself.

poetfox
09-27-2010, 08:46 PM
"Plenty of time for those questions later, Knox. I'm sure we'll know when we see it. Or when we don't." Her voice dropped to a mutter. "Something like that anyway..."


I'm going to use my Outdoorsperson powers of political correctness and see if I can't find any clue as to where the rest of the party would have went to. Tracks in the trails or whatnot.

sraymonds
09-27-2010, 08:47 PM
I was double-checking Knox's sheet to see if any of his skills sounded useful right now and misread "stability" as "stabbity". I was a little sad when I corrected myself.

Now we know who Thomas Fell's murderer is!!!

sraymonds
09-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Poetfox with outdoors person
You find a trail of blood leading from the dishes down to one of the jungles paths.

Another set of tracks lead down another path, and these seem to have been made by more than one person.

poetfox
09-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Jan looks closely at the walking options before her... it seemed clear enough. Or at least as clear as she could concern which, of course, was as good as it was going to get by default.
"Well, it's a sad loss of... some fellow, but we need to press on and look for Fell. Seems obvious the group, minus a member, went that way." She points down the trail with multiple sets of tracks. "Let's keep moving, hm?"
She turned towards the trail, attempting to sneak a deep breath when nobody was looking. Her father wouldn't break under pressure like this, and dammit, neither would she. She started walking.

kaisel
09-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Roger stepped away from the body, after Jan's statement. "Yeah, we do need to move on. Still, terrible way to go..." he said, looking at the body. "Though, whoever did this seems to have been hurt too, not all of the blood over... that," he gestured to the dishes, "is from whoever that is. Be on guard."

Falselogic
09-28-2010, 09:19 AM
"Before we go wandering off into the Andes shouldn't we be asking what the hell just happened?!" Kenneth's voice exclaims, his voice cracking as he tries to control the ever expanding knot of panic in his gut. Turning to Jan "I want you to tell me what you got my dad involved with!"

poetfox
09-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Jan sighed, speaking without turning around. "I already explained. I had an object I didn't understand, and your dad knows things. I sent it to him, he disappeared, now we're here. He is probably somewhere over there, and he likely knows more about what was happening than his bankroll, hm?"

Jan took a breath. It was nice to blow off steam, but it wasn't in her best interest. She turned around and approached Kenneth. "Look, if I had known what I had could do... this, I wouldn't have got your father involved. But I didn't. I found it lost in crates with no label. I had to know what it was, and I went about it the right way. It went south, yes, but crying about it isn't going to help. We need to find your father."

Lucas
09-30-2010, 11:05 AM
"I understand why you're upset. I am too. But look at it this way: the best chance of finding your dad alive is to keep moving as fast as we can on his trail." Makepeace looked down the trail and exhaled heavily. "Not that I'm very excited for a hike through the mountains right now...."

Falselogic
09-30-2010, 11:23 AM
"Well who's leading? Not me..." Pointing to Norm, "You've got the gun, you lead."

shivam
09-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Norm nodded, and headed off carefully down the path. Looking at the tracks, he tried to determine how many people had passed, and when they had. Can i use evidence collecting for this?

sraymonds
09-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Shivam
Two people went down the bloodied path and two people went down the other path. Judging by the space between the footsteps, everyone was running.

Have I explained Drives? I may enforce a hard Drive.

shivam
09-30-2010, 11:54 AM
a what now?

kaisel
09-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Roger looked at the way his brother went, a little reluctantly, and sighed. Better take care of him, he thought, trailing behind.


And a drive?

sraymonds
09-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Your Drive is what motivates your character. Detective Wright’s Drive is Duty. So if he saw a mugger attacking a lady, his sense of Duty towards protecting innocents and upholding the law is what drives him to rush out and save the lady. Now if you, as Detective Wright, decided not to save the lady, I could ask for a “hard driver”. If you ignore your Drive and still do not save her, it could cost you Stability points.

As of right now, no one’s done anything that goes against their Drive. I just wanted to throw that out there in case I decide to use it.

kaisel - I don't think your brother's gone anywhere yet.

shivam
09-30-2010, 12:12 PM
sure, cool.

kaisel
09-30-2010, 03:31 PM
kaisel - I don't think your brother's gone anywhere yet.

Ah crap, I thought he was following Norm, but he only said he wanted Norm to lead. I guess Roger is just waiting with Kenneth then.

sraymonds
10-03-2010, 10:00 AM
So does anyone want to make a decision or should I enforce the hard driver?

Lucas
10-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I think we're all sort of waiting on Norm to do something, since he's the one who can tell trails apart.

shivam
10-03-2010, 10:26 AM
:Guys, we should find out what happened to this dead gentleman. I recommend the bloody path."

And with that, Norm started to head down.

kaisel
10-03-2010, 10:30 AM
"That sounds like a good plan, though since not all the blood in the uh... kitchen I guess, was from the victim, it could be that one of the murderers escaped this way... or another victim," Roger theorized. "Best be prepared either way," he said, looking into his medical bag, to make sure he has all of his equipment.

Falselogic
10-03-2010, 12:12 PM
"Whatever you two think is best... You're the experts here." Kenneth hesitantly follows his brother down the bloody path.

Lucas
10-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Makepeace hurried to follow. "Don't leave me alone out here!"

sraymonds
10-03-2010, 02:44 PM
After twenty minutes of hiking through the jungle, you come across a red, metallic train car that's been wedged into the mountainside rocks. The trail of blood leads to the train car's doors.

shivam
10-03-2010, 03:52 PM
I want to investigate the scene of the crime.

Falselogic
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM
"How did this get here? *mumble* Can't be any stranger than how we did..." Kenneth begins walking around the train car looking for anything relatively unusual besides the car itself and the blood

sraymonds
10-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Falselogic
There doesn't seem to be anything unusual on the outside. Other than a metal train car wedged into a mountainside.

Shivam
It seems two pairs of footprints lead into the train car but only one seems to be leading away.

poetfox
10-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Jan held her tongue. She didn't agree with going this way, towards people less likely to be alive, but she wasn't about to split off from everyone else. Also, a good point was made about the detective having a gun. She made sure to stay behind him as they walked.

She looked over the train car as they approached it, keeping her distance.

"Finding a living person to help explain this mess is looking less and less likely down this road..." She murmurs to herself, unable to keep herself from commenting, at least a little.

Are there any markings on the car? Maybe something I'd recognize? Company name or something?

sraymonds
10-03-2010, 09:19 PM
poetfox
The train car is rather nondescript. There are no markings indicating where it came from or who it belonged to.

shivam
10-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I advance slowly into the car.

sraymonds
10-04-2010, 05:02 AM
I can appreciate caution.

As you slowly slide open the train car's door, you find the body of an Asian man slumped against the far wall. His face is frozen in a look of pain and horror.

Something is written on the floor next to the body.

kaisel
10-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Roger cautiously stepped into the car after Norm opened it, and didn't start firing. He looked at the body and frowned, and moved into the car, to try to determine the cause of death.


Roger would like to use his knowledge as a doctor to determine the cause of death.

sraymonds
10-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Kaisel
The man died of blood loss resulting from three slashes across his side and stomach, probably from a straight razor.

shivam
10-04-2010, 09:56 AM
I kneel down and try to read the text.

sraymonds
10-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Shivam
As the Asian man lay dying, he dipped his fingers into his own blood and left a message for whomever found his body.

THOMAS FELL
KILLED ME

The message has been smeared as if someone tried one good swipe to erase it, but the blood was already too dry.

shivam
10-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Turning to the two men accompanying him, Norman fixed a stern expression on his face.

"Boys, you have some answering to do. Your pappy's in something pretty crazy deep."

Falselogic
10-04-2010, 10:40 AM
"Last time I talked to my father he was the same he's always been! Whatever is going on here has to do with whatever she gave my father!" Kenneth points accusingly at Jan. "My father would never hurt anyone! The man was incapable of any such action."

Sraymonds - One of Kenneth's sources of stability has just been accused of murder and is involved in something supernatural. How is he dealing with this? I've tried to convey his breaking by his accusations of Jan and such, but I don't know if he should be reacting more or less?

kaisel
10-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Roger looked at his brother, and then back to Norm, trying to keep his voice steady. "I-I don't know anything about this! I haven't spoken to my father in ages. A-and if he did kill this man, there must have been a good reason." Still, Roger moved away from the detective, to stand slightly in front of his brother. "I'm sure that that some of those here have seen my father much more recently than I have, perhaps they should be your suspects."

sraymonds
10-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Kaisel, falselogic
Thomas Fell? A murderer? That’s not possible. Your father would never do that! He may have been a bit stubborn, but he was reliable. There’s no way he did this! He’s not a murderer!

Right?

I’d like the two brothers to make me a Stability test, difficulty 3. Don’t forget to declare if you want to spend any Stability points towards the test.

Falselogic – I think the way you’re portraying the shock of the accusation is perfect.

Falselogic
10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Please to remind us how check rolls work?

sraymonds
10-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Declare if you’re going to use any points from Stability, roll a D6, then add spent points to total. Try to roll above the difficulty number.

Falselogic
10-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm not going to spend any points and roll

*shake, shake, shake*

*shake, shake, shake*

*shake your bo... wait that's not right*

2

Kenneth fails

kaisel
10-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Not spending any points, and here's my roll:

1d6 → [4] = (4)
(http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2712013/)

Roger passes, if 3's the difficulty (and I'm reading that right).

poetfox
10-04-2010, 12:25 PM
If we're doing things based on sources of Stability, Fell is one of mine too. Although seemingly more for being a good investment that's going to do wonders for me than being a stand-up guy. Still, you know... something to be concerned with?

Jan peeks inside, taking a look at the message on the floor, then turns away. She rubs her temples with her fingers, trying to calm down. She'd get nothing out of this if she wasn't in control.

Then Kenneth speaks. Her hands turn to fists at her side.

"Obviously this has something to do with what I gave Fell, or we wouldn't be in the damn jungle! I..."

She takes a deep breath.

Also, that InvisibleCastle dice rolling thing is genius. Good job, whoever thought to put that together. When I get to roll, I'll give it a try.

Lucas
10-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I think we all have Thomas Fell as a source of stability. There's a reason we five all showed up to investigate his disappearance.

sraymonds
10-04-2010, 01:01 PM
For Kaisel
Delusions of a dying man. Your father would never hurt, much less kill, anyone.

For Falselogic – Lose 3 points in Stability
It’s true. It has to be true. A dying person’s last act isn’t to lie. The man who raised you, the man that you grew up with…how long has he been this way? Was he always like this? Whatever you do, you CANNOT TRUST THOMAS FELL.

I’d go ahead and cross Thomas Fell off as a source of stability too.

It's possible that everyone has Thomas Fell as a source of stability. I hit kaisel and falselogic with the Stability check because Thomas is their father. I’m actually not sure what the Professor is doing at the moment.

Lucas
10-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Actually, I'm not sure what he's doing now either!

Makepeace followed the detective, but balked at actually entering the train car if he didn't have to. From the conversation coming from inside, he was glad he'd stayed out.

He stared nervously at his surroundings. Damn it all, the reason he kept in touch with Thomas was so that Fell could worry about this occult stuff, not him.

sraymonds
10-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Lucas - 1d6 me, baby.

Falselogic
10-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Kenneth stumbles out of the train cart, his mind reeling and noisily retches behind a rock... "What now? Where to next? There's only one set of footprints at this point and whoever's they are they probably belong to a killer... We should try to find a village of some sort and figure out where we are. I'm not spending the night out here with you people and whoever else is on this damned mountain."

kaisel
10-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Roger followed his brother out. "Come on Kenneth, we both know that for all his many faults, father was not a killer. And I'm sure that we'll find some evidence proving otherwise, evidence enough to convince the good detective, and everyone else."

He looked at his brother worriedly, despite the exasperation he felt.

Lucas
10-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Lucas - 1d6 me, baby.

1d6=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2712182/)

sraymonds
10-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Lucas
You hear the brothers burst out of the train car, but the rustling in the trees cause you to focus on the trees. A large grey figure lumbers out from the tree line, it’s arms frozen in a pained expression.

It’s screaming “ELLLLL” as it slowly approaches you.

Lucas
10-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Makepeace always thought he'd freeze in a situation like this, but instead he reacted instantly: "DETECTIVVVVE! THING! GUN!"

Makepeace looked around wildly for anything he could use as a weapon, preferably something nice and long to keep the creature away.

shivam
10-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Norm heard the cry and quickly ran out of the train car. Seeing the...thing rushing at them, he aimed his gun and yelled out "HALT!"

sraymonds
10-04-2010, 05:08 PM
The figure shows no indication of it stopping. As it gets closer, you see the humanoid figure is mostly covered in grey rocks.

"PLSS ELP EE!

Falselogic
10-04-2010, 06:25 PM
kenneth wants to take a better look at the thing

sraymonds
10-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Not all of the creature is covered in rock. Patches of it's face reveal a blue eye, wide with terror. It's mouth seems locked in position, it's tongue darting in and out and the jaw moved imperceptibly as it struggled to make sounds.

It also had a nice, bushy mustache.

Falselogic
10-04-2010, 08:03 PM
"I think its human! Something terrible has happened to him I think! Roger he needs help!"

kaisel
10-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Roger looked at his brother, and then at the detective, and took a deep breath, and held up his hands, approaching the creature. "How can we help you?" he asked, a little hesitantly.


Do I need to make any rolls here, since I'm trying to help some somewhat monstrous looking thing?

sraymonds
10-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Kaisel – No rolls, your Medicine/Biology skill is enough
As you examine the creature, you realize that it’s human! The man appears to be in a state of living petrification. Almost his entire body is covered in stone and the very act of moving is causing him pain. The stone appears to be growing from his skin, yet it doesn’t appear to be organic. Spars, like little icicles of rock have appeared all his body. Whatever’s happening to his body is like nothing you’ve ever seen before. You can’t think of any way to reverse what’s already happened, and this will inevitably kill him.

After a few moments, he starts to speak.

“My name…James Kellerman. Thomas Fell brought us here. He can get you back.

kaisel
10-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Roger looked at the man in horror, wondering just how this had happened. "James... how... how did this happen? And do you know of a way to reverse this? I'm afraid that I've never seen anything remotely similar..." He paused. "And... my father, Thomas. Is he here?"

Falselogic
10-05-2010, 09:35 AM
As the man mentions his own name Kenneth turns to the others, "does that name mean anything to anyone?" Without waiting for them to answer Kenneth turns back to the stone man, "where is our father now? Where is Thomas Fell? He killed that man in there didn't he!"

Did anyone bother to identify the dead guy in the train car?

sraymonds
10-05-2010, 09:52 AM
No one’s identified the dead Asian man, but Joyce-Cleveland knows who he is. She also recognizes the name James Kellerman.

“Fell’s somewhere on this damnedable mountain. The stones’ have driven him mad! He killed Farquarsan and attacked Wu Han after we arrived here. “ Kellerman struggles for a breath. “If you want to get home, find Fell. He’s mentioned a shrine near the mountaintop. That may be your best bet.”

Another rock spar appears on his face, covering his remaining eye. “You need to leave before whatever attacked me finds you.”

At that moment, the horrible stench of ammonia begins to fill the air.

Shivam and falselogic, roll a Sense Trouble test, difficulty 5.

Falselogic
10-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Shivam and falselogic, roll a Sense Trouble test, difficulty 5.

Can I spend points now to improve my roll and if so from what?

shivam
10-05-2010, 09:55 AM
i'm gonna use a point--
1d6(5)+1 = 6

sraymonds
10-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Can I spend points now to improve my roll and if so from what?

Yes you can and from Sense Trouble. I believe you have a rating of 5 in it.

Falselogic
10-05-2010, 10:02 AM
I used 2 point of sense trouble and rolled:

1d6+2 → [4,2] = (6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2713283/)

So I passed!

sraymonds
10-05-2010, 10:07 AM
shivam, falselogic
Something is headed directly towards the brothers and Kellerman. You're free to perform one action before whatever it is appears.

By the by, who has the the rock from the basement?

Falselogic
10-05-2010, 10:11 AM
By the by, who has the the rock from the basement?

I believe I still have it...

Sensing something, though he knows not what, Kenneth falls back retreating as far as he can from the scent in whatever time he has available to him. As he does so he yells "something's coming!

shivam
10-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Norman snapped his head towards the left, and aimed his gun for that area. "Guys! Something's coming! Get back in the train car!"

Lucas
10-05-2010, 10:12 AM
By the by, who has the the rock from the basement?

I believe I still have it...

I think Makepeace still has it. The last time I remember it being mentioned is when he was comparing the marks on it to the marks on the stele in the basement.

sraymonds
10-05-2010, 12:04 PM
It looks like the Professor has the rock.

Kellerman yells “IT’S HERE!”

As the Detective and Kenneth start heading towards the train car, the pungent odor of ammonia grows infinitely worse and something shoots out of the ground towards Kellerman. It burrows into the side of his head and explodes out of the other side, showering Doctor Fell with blood and viscera.

What lands beside the doctor is an eel-like creature, as long as a grown man’s arm and as thick as one too. It’s “skin” shines, giving it a slick, wet look. The stench of ammonia the creature emanates is nauseating. At one end of it’s body, you see no eyes, nose, or ears. All you see is it’s mouth and the many teeth that line it.

Everyone needs to make a Stability check and beat 4.

Falselogic
10-05-2010, 12:11 PM
1d6 → [5] = (5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2713394/)

Dodged that bullet.

shivam
10-05-2010, 12:13 PM
1d6+2=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2713396/)

using 2 stability points

Lucas
10-05-2010, 12:26 PM
1d6=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2713408/)

I fumbled.

Assuming I still have any sanity, Makepeace will run and try to hide in the train car, since a savaged body is presumably nice than this thing.

poetfox
10-05-2010, 01:02 PM
1d6+2=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2713450/) (Spent those points for nothing! Silly luck.)

Jan similarly would love to hide in the train car, as there's at least a chance the creature will have trouble getting up to a slightly elevated position.

kaisel
10-05-2010, 02:14 PM
1d6 → [3] = (3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2713535/)

Maybe I should've spent a point... Roger probably just bolts, not paying attention to where.

sraymonds
10-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Kaisel – Lose two points Stability
What in the hell is that thing? It went right through Kellerman’s skull like it was butter!

You fall on your ass but you’re able to scramble backwards during this time.

Lucas – Lose four points Stability
Never, in any of your studies over the years, have you ever heard of this creature. There’s never been a description or stories told about anything like this. There’s only one explanation: It’s of supernatural origin. Thomas is supposed to deal with the occult, not you!

Faced with this supernatural threat, you’re frozen in place.

poetfox, falselogic
Whatever it is, you don’t want to be facing it. Should you follow the detective’s advice and you start heading towards the train car?

Shivam
You have your gun trained on whatever it is. Should you take the shot? Will the others get in your way?

So begins combat. Under your general abilities are skills used for combat checks. There’s Firearms, Scuffling, and Fleeing (I think those are the only ones that pertain to this adventure). The players declare which ability they’d like to use and also tell me what rank they have in it. This is what determines the order everyone goes in. Don’t worry about how many points you’d like to spend just yet. I’ll go first.

The creature is going to attempt to bite the doctor. Scuffling 25

I’d like shivam, poetfox, falselogic, and kaisel to declare their actions.

kaisel
10-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Roger will attempt to slip away: Fleeing 10.

shivam
10-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm gonna shoot at it so that the others can have a chance to run. firearms 14.

poetfox
10-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Ha, I have nothing in any relevant skills, but I'm still going to try to get back and out of the way as per my earlier plan. Fleeing 0, though.

Falselogic
10-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Kenneth is going to keep on fleeing toward the traincar
fleeing = 12

sraymonds
10-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Poetfox- didn’t we talk about you having a gun like a Saturday night special or something?

Ok, so far, the order of combat is this:
The Creature – Scuffling 25
Shivam – Firearms 14
Falselogic – Fleeing 12
Kaisel – Fleeing 10
Poetfox – Fleeing 0

Combat is much like every other skill check we’ve done. Declare points spend and roll die. To hit, you have to roll 3 or better, unless the target has an Athletics rating of 8+, at which point you have to roll 4 or better. For Kaisel, falselogic, Lucas and the creature, their Hit Threshold is 3 while shivam and poetfox have a hit threshold of 4.

Gonna clear up whether poetfox had a gun first before I declare my move.

Lucas
10-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Maybe I'm still just half asleep, but did you just say having higher Athletics makes it harder for you to hit someone?

sraymonds
10-06-2010, 09:59 AM
It's harder for the other person to hit you. Yeah, sorry, I see where I made my mistake.

Lucas
10-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

sraymonds
10-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Went back through all the old things and I did not give Jan Joyce-Cleveland a gun. So begins combat!

The creature rears it's head back, fangs gleaming, and attempts to bite the doctor!

I'm going to spend 2 points from Scuffling.

5 + 2 = 7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2715006/)

Rolling for damage (+4)

2 + 4 = 6 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2715009/)

It takes a bit out of Doctor Fell's legs! sorry kaisel

kaisel
10-06-2010, 10:25 PM
So Roger has 4 hit points left, since he has a health of ten?


Roger screamed in pain, as he felt the teeth sink into his leg, leaving a bloody trail as the creature pulls away. "Shoot it, shoot it, shoot it!"

sraymonds
10-07-2010, 05:23 AM
Fraid so, little buddy. Shivam's turn.

shivam
10-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Norm steeled himself against the horror and took a shot straight for the beast's eyes.

2 points
1d6+2=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2715846/)

sraymonds
10-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Hit! I’ll say you’re somewhat at point blank range and factoring in the creature’s armor, roll a 1d6 + 1 for damage.

shivam
10-07-2010, 10:34 AM
1d6+1=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2715893/)

sraymonds
10-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Despite not seeing any eyes on the creatures, Detective Wright is able to hit the creature square in the...well, he shot it. It was shot good but it's still coming.

At this point anyone that was fleeing can make it back to the train car and is out of the combat. Lucas and shivam can declare what they want to do this round.

Lucas
10-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Well, I have no scuffling and no weapon for my firearms skill (unless I can use Preparedness to suddenly have a gun), so I guess Makepeace will run to the train car.

Fleeing 20.

sraymonds
10-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Lucas - You can spend points and try to roll Preparedness and get a 5+.

Lucas
10-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Because even Makepeace would feel guilty leaving the detective alone with this... this thing, rather than turn and run he began to paw through his coat for a little surprise he'd packed before leaving for Fell's house.

Spending two Preparedness points.

1d6+2=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2716169/)

sraymonds
10-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Lucas
The Professor pulls out a Holland and Holland Double Express .600 elephant rifle Walther PPK .32 automatic pistol.

Combat order stays the same even if you decide to take a different action, so Lucas goes after shivam.

The creature advances towards the professor as he searches his coat for a weapon, and it catches a glimpse of the rock from Fell's basement. It is transfixed to the rock, and without warning, it lunges at the detective!

I'm going to spend 2 points from Scuffling, bringing me down to 21.

1d6 + 2 = 3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2716341/)

Hit! The Detective takes 1d6+4 = 5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2716342/) points from Health.

shivam's turn.

shivam
10-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Norm yelled at the professor while drawing another bead on the monster. "What are you doing, idiot? get out of the way!"

He took another shot, backing up as he did so.
1d6=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2716574/)

sraymonds
10-08-2010, 04:31 AM
Wait, crap, I messed up. I need to roll 4 to hit the Detective. The Detective was able to dodge the intended bite.

sraymonds
10-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Shivam - roll 1d6 + 1 for damage

sraymonds
10-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Howdy shivam, still need ya to roll for damage.

shivam
10-10-2010, 05:28 PM
oh, oops

1d6+1 = 4.

sorry!

sraymonds
10-10-2010, 05:31 PM
No bigs

The bullet rips through the creature's body, intensifying the smell of ammonia as vital fluids pour out of it's body.

Lucas's turn.

Lucas
10-10-2010, 05:37 PM
"Wait, I think it's reacting to the rock!" Makepeace took the rock from his coat with one hand and thrust it towards the creature, like a cross at a vampire, keeping his other hand on his pistol.

sraymonds
10-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Top of the round!

The creature completely ignores the professor and the rock and dives towards the detective. It hits the ground in between his legs and disappears into the soil.

After a few moments, the smell of ammonia starts to fade and silence falls over the area.

End of the round!

Falselogic
10-10-2010, 08:35 PM
with the stench of ammonia fading and the sounds of struggle and conflict coming to an end Kenneth pokes his head out of the car and asks, "is it gone? What happened?"

shivam
10-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Norm poked his gun in the area where the...thing was.

"I have no idea what in blazes that was, but we need to not be here. Let's get the devil out of here and figure out what's down that other path."

sraymonds
10-10-2010, 08:46 PM
shivam
As you examine the spot where the creature disappeared into, you see that it looks untouched, as if the creature swam through the soil like water.

kaisel - I believe Doctor Fell is in need of some aid. By being a doctor, you can heal yourself for 2 points per 1 point of First Aid you spend. If anyone else has first aid, they can also heal you for 2 points per 1 point First Aid.

sraymonds
10-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Sorry, had a few busy days. I neglected to mention that the tracks leading away from the train car are headed towards a pathway up the mountain.

So do y’all want to go to the other path from the kitchen or the path up the mountain?

kaisel
10-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Sorry, it's been a bit busy here as well. So, first Roger will spend three points of first aid, to heal 6 points of damage (leaving him with 22 if I'm not mistaken).


As Roger Fell bandaged his leg, he looked at the ground where the creature had disappeared into, and shuddered. "I say we double back, who knows if there's more of those things further on, maybe the other path is safer."

sraymonds
10-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Kaisel
As you clean your wound, you see little bits of grayish rock inside the bite. They seem to be embedded into your flesh and trying to pick them out proves futile.

The rocks are similar to the ones that covered Kellerman’s body.

Falselogic
10-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Seeing his brother injured Kenneth asks, "Roger! Are you okay? That thing didn't bite you did it? Oh my god!" "I agree with Roger there might be more of those things up there lets go back to the kitchen and take the other path."

poetfox
10-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Jan steps out of the train car, watching Roger patch himself up and feeling a bit shaken.
"I have to disagree. We already came this far and, however gastly the message, we have a decent indicator that Fell came this way. He's still our goal. He's the one who's going to know what's going on."

shivam
10-13-2010, 11:06 PM
"Yes, perhaps this is the way to go. The other path will still be there when we get back."

Lucas
10-13-2010, 11:11 PM
"I'm with the detective on this."

sraymonds
10-14-2010, 07:27 AM
You all begin the long trek up towards the mountaintop. The path is overgrown with vegetation. Trees bend down as if to block your progress. The terrain grows rough as you head towards the top. After one or two miles of hiking, you come across a clearing. Blood is splattered across the ground, and a rifle lays half hidden in the bushes at the edge of the clearing. The path to the mountaintop lays before you.

Kaisel
Every step brings fresh pain shooting up your body. As you examine the spot where the creature bit you, you come to a startling realization. The gray rocks are slowly spreading across your flesh. You don’t know how long it will be before you meet the same fate as James Kellerman, but you know it won’t be fixed stranded on this mountaintop.

Whether you tell the rest of the party about this is up to you.

kaisel
10-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Roger's pace began to slow, and he took a deep breath. "Uh. Guys... I think I know what happened to James Kellerman. It was the creature that just ran away, and ah... don't get bit by it," Roger winced, "I don't know how much time I have left, but if it looks like I'll slow you down, head on without me, maybe you'll find a cure."

Falselogic
10-14-2010, 10:42 AM
"Roger! What are you saying?" He looks at the wound and the spreading rocks... with a growing horror in his eyes. "Dear God! What about a tourniquet? Couldn't we stop it that way?" Turning to everyone, "We don't even know where we are or what else is out there! We can't just leave him here"

sraymonds
10-14-2010, 11:15 AM
When I say slowly I mean excruciatingly slow..

kaisel
10-14-2010, 11:24 AM
When I say slowly I mean excruciatingly slow..

Ah, okay, that's good to know, I wasn't sure how slow was slow (or how affecting it was, so I'll chalk it up to fear of rocky, spiny death).


Roger waved away his brother, "Thanks for the concern, but I think..." he looked at the wound again, and breathed a sigh of relief as it doesn't seem like it's growing as fast as he first thought, "...I think I may have overreacted. It's slow, I just... just don't let me end up like Kellerman, though hopefully we're not here as long as he was."

shivam
10-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Norman's eyes widened as he saw the rocks.
"What the deuce is going on here? Where the hell are we?"

sraymonds
10-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Well if no one objects, onward and upwards to the mountaintop

Lucas
10-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Sounds good to me.

Falselogic
10-17-2010, 09:06 AM
"Well seeing as you have the gun and there's certainly terrible things out there... I guess I'll follow you"

Kenneth conforms!

poetfox
10-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Upward and onward! While staying back from the lead. Jan'll leave that to Norman.