PDA

View Full Version : September RPG: Chrono Trigger

Pages : [1] 2

Parish
09-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Since we couldn't seem to come to a consensus on a September RPG, I've decided to make an executive decision and go with unbridled awesomeness:

Chrono Trigger
Square | Super NES, 1995 | PlayStation, 2001

If you don't own this game, you should. Find a copy by hook... or perhaps by crook. I don't need to know the details. Everyone has probably played this game to death, and that's fine; feel free to tackle specialized playthroughs. Work from a New Game+ file and go for wacky endings. Whatever! But let's enjoy this exceptional game together.

(And maybe now I'll finally find the motivation to finish the Revisiting Trigger series.)

Guy
09-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Damn, and my SNES doesn't have a power cord. My Chrono Trigger cartridge has just been sitting there, alone.

shivam
09-02-2007, 01:45 PM
seems like as good a time as any to actually play trigger, i guess.

yeah yeah, shut up. i didnt have a SNES, and the psx version was crap and you all know it.

Mr. Sensible
09-02-2007, 01:48 PM
But I'll feel bad if I don't at least play through the PSX version and see the cutscenes! Oh, how I suffer for other people's art.

Parish
09-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Let me make your life easier:

They're not worth it.

I actually didn't mind the slowness of the PS1 port, but that is because I played it in Japanese and welcomed the sluggishness for the way it gave me more time to try and parse the unfamiliar language.

Mr. Sensible
09-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Even so, I bought the game and I'm goddamned well going to squeeze my $30 worth of enjoyment out of it.

Slowly. Very, very slowly.

I'll catch up with you guys next month, maybe.

Guy
09-02-2007, 02:54 PM
But I'll feel bad if I don't at least play through the PSX version and see the cutscenes! Oh, how I suffer for other people's art.

Youtube.

doc_marten_abortion
09-02-2007, 03:15 PM
I believe this is the only RPG I've played through more than once. Sometimes, beating a game with all female party members is a good idea. :D

ringworm
09-02-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm going to totally lame myself up, hardcore, but I actually own a SNES cartridge for this and have never played. For one reason or another I kept getting distracted by other stuff.

le geek
09-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Cool choice!

Just got the SNES cart in the mail like a week ago. I got tired of the loading on the PSX version (in FF Chronicles) and didn't get very far (the race with the cyberpunk dude in "the future") before calling it quits...

Calorie Mate
09-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I got about half way through my cart yet again when your Revisiting Trigger series got me all hotand bothered...maybe I'll give you guys a short head start (while I finish up Metroid) and then jump back into that file.

(Shivam, you haven't played FFVI, Chrono Trigger, or MGS? Are you sure you're not just lost and on the wrong message board?)

shivam
09-02-2007, 03:45 PM
yeah, well, the games i HAVE played no one gives a crap about, apparently.

Excitemike
09-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I've decided to make an executive decision and go with unbridled awesomeness

You've passed ludicrous and gone to plaid.

Dang, I only have the PS1 port, though. Between this and FFT, it's going to be a s-l-o-w couple of months.

Calorie Mate
09-02-2007, 03:53 PM

Aw, now I feel bad. Would pressuring Parish into (eventually) choosing Suikoden/2 make you feel better?

Tomm Guycot
09-02-2007, 04:37 PM

Get over Plok, dude. It sucked.

le geek
09-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Aw, now I feel bad. Would pressuring Parish into (eventually) choosing Suikoden/2 make you feel better?

Suikoden (and II) are so awesome that I like Suikoden IV! < / froth >

Anyway, it's a shame they are so hard to track down...

blindblue
09-02-2007, 04:44 PM

LIES

shivam
09-02-2007, 04:56 PM

don't hate (http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Fortress/6019/).

MechaX
09-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Chrono Trigger? I thought Persona 3 had a sizeable consensus for September RPG, unless that discussion at the main board blew up more than I realized.

Oh boy.. Chrono Trigger... The SNES has been dead since 8th Grade, I sold Final Fantasy Chronicles back in the days where I thought that FuncoBucks were good trade incentives, and my.. uh, 'computer copy' magically misplaced my saves. But hey, it's a good incentive to play through the game all over again.

Although, it's still taking a back seat to Persona 3 and Wild Arms 4 for the next couple of days or so.

... Wait, did I actually just put Wild Arms 4 above Chrono Trigger in any semblance of priority?

Merus
09-02-2007, 05:31 PM
don't hate (http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Fortress/6019/).
I keep expecting a reference to Plok flipping out and killing people at a diner. Or at least being a mammal.

djSyndrome
09-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Chrono Trigger? I thought Persona 3 had a sizeable consensus for September RPG, unless that discussion at the main board blew up more than I realized.

I think P3 was nixed because the other thread has quite the sizable discussion going on already (and is still going strong). I would like to see it split into two sub-topics, though: story and mechanics. I'm close to finishing the game (nearing December's full moon event) and would love to discuss some plot points with others, but wouldn't dare include them in the current thread.

Rosencrantz
09-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Although, it's still taking a back seat to Persona 3 and Wild Arms 4 for the next couple of days or so.

... Wait, did I actually just put Wild Arms 4 above Chrono Trigger in any semblance of priority?

I hope you mean Wild Arms 5, the one which just came out last week, and is (at least at the 12 hour mark) considerably better than WA4.

I recently started playing CT again on my PSP (something to do on my lunch break) and I'm juuuust about to meet Robo, so that works out well for me.

sillbot
09-02-2007, 05:41 PM
This time around I've gone ahead and killed Magus. I didn't before because, well, he makes the game easier. But this time it was pretty satisfying. His death throes were so emo. Guy sucks!

MechaX
09-02-2007, 06:01 PM
I hope you mean Wild Arms 5, the one which just came out last week, and is (at least at the 12 hour mark) considerably better than WA4.

Nope, it's 4. I did see 5 at the store, and the clerk was like "Oh, WA5 just came out. But it would be better to play WA4 first", and like a dummy, I simply nodded "Uh huh".

I haven't touched it yet, but since I loved WA2 back in the day, despite how it is usually considered as the worst WA by fans and critics alike, I'm holding out that 4 won't be too bad. At least it'll probably make 5 look like a Godsend in comparison.

dosboot
09-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I kill Magus unless I'm intentionally trying to do things differently. The best attacks are dual techs, so while Magus is strong individually he often ends up contributing the least.

Kayma
09-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I've killed Magus to get the associated ending(s), but on a normal play through, I wouldn't be able to LIVE with myself if I didn't have all the characters.

I've had a more-the-merrier mindset with RPGs way before Pokemon jammed such tactics into our brains.

Eusis
09-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Huh. It seemed FFV was getting a lot of support. Eh, whatever, should've known that blasting through CT when it wasn't picked for the first RPG of the month meant it'd be selected for the second, heh. I'll start a New Game + for obvious reasons, plus I haven't seen all the endings yet. I'll have to make sure to do so this time.

Actually, now that I think about it I could just go and play the PSX version and see those cutscenes at last... But the load is several times more horrible when you go straight from the original. Plus it makes me notice the little port flaws I'd overlook otherwise.

Kolbe
09-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Wow. I just started this game (for the first time in my life) a few weeks ago. Let's see if I can keep up!

Radical Ans
09-02-2007, 07:45 PM
I guess I must venture out to my parents house and pick up the old SNES. Oh CT how I've missed you.

Rosencrantz
09-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Nope, it's 4. I did see 5 at the store, and the clerk was like "Oh, WA5 just came out. But it would be better to play WA4 first", and like a dummy, I simply nodded "Uh huh".

I haven't touched it yet, but since I loved WA2 back in the day, despite how it is usually considered as the worst WA by fans and critics alike, I'm holding out that 4 won't be too bad. At least it'll probably make 5 look like a Godsend in comparison.

None of the Wild Arms games are directly connected through their stories, but sometimes there are vague references in the other games. In WA5, every playable character from WA1-4 (and even some NPCs and characters from the anime) appear as townspeople throughout the game. They're not given names and they aren't the same people, but it's cool to see.

Oh, and WA4 isn't really a bad game, but it's a bad Wild Arms game. I got pretty far in it, but then a bunch of other, better, games came out and I never finished it.

Zef
09-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Whoa! I obviously hadn't played this game in a LONG time. In preparation for a complete New Game+ playthrough, I went and tried to get the Developer's Room ending, but... the future refused to change. Grand Stone followed up immediately by Dreamless is a nasty, nasty combo.

(Of course, I probably should've healed after Grand Stone instead of trying to kill the Center with Luminaire...)

shivam
09-02-2007, 11:04 PM
ok, so i'm at that festival in the beginning and just got marle. should i try to sell her pendant?
(and man, i must be pathetic, cause this is as far as i've ever gotten in the game. i must have been distracted or something)

Eusis
09-02-2007, 11:09 PM
No. It'll affect a future event that can net you an item. But it's not a big lose if you don't get it, seeing as it's just an ether. So don't beat yourself up if you've already tried. Or eaten that one guy's lunch.

Sanagi
09-03-2007, 12:38 AM
ok, so i'm at that festival in the beginning and just got marle. should i try to sell her pendant?
(and man, i must be pathetic, cause this is as far as i've ever gotten in the game. i must have been distracted or something)
Just remember: Big brother is watching.

(Actual answer - it doesn't make a lot of practical difference, but it does do something.)

Guy
09-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Man, you know the rules. If it seems morally questionable, don't do it.

Alex
09-03-2007, 12:58 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=A6xqwBXT3kw

I apologize if this clip of Gato's song has been posted elsewhere on the board.

Sanagi
09-03-2007, 01:35 AM
Man, you know the rules. If it seems morally questionable, don't do it.
That's the rules for real life. The rules for video games are the exact opposite.

Mr. Sensible
09-03-2007, 02:01 AM
Yeah, unless you want the good ending.

ringworm
09-03-2007, 02:23 AM
So my comments this month are probably going to end up being things like "Oh man, this game is awesome, I'm in the future!" while everyone rolls their eyes.

By the way, I'm in the future! I just fought some mutants and crap! Sweet.

PhoenixUltima
09-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Am I the only one who ever bothered to get everyone (including Magus!) up to level **(99)? Makes new game+ even more of a killfest. I never did get enough tabs to max everyone's stats, though.

Hell, since I've finished MP3 (twice, in fact) maybe I'll break out the ol' SNES and give 'er a spin. Though nowadays I wish I had invested in an S-Video cable. Composite looks like shit on a HDTV.

Jeanie
09-03-2007, 06:16 AM
Am I the only one who ever bothered to get everyone (including Magus!) up to level **(99)? Makes new game+ even more of a killfest. I never did get enough tabs to max everyone's stats, though.

Hell, since I've finished MP3 (twice, in fact) maybe I'll break out the ol' SNES and give 'er a spin. Though nowadays I wish I had invested in an S-Video cable. Composite looks like shit on a HDTV.

I had everyone BUT Magus up to lvl 99 on my old SNES copy. If I remember correctly, everyone had their speed maxed, all my fighters (Frog, Ayla, Robo and Crono) had strength maxed, and the casters (Marle, Lucca, Magus and Crono) had magic maxed. Usually to make things faster on my run-thoughs, I'd give everyone a berserk charm or whatever its called, and let the battles go like that until I get to the End of Time.

I loved how stupidly powerful Ayla was at 99. She hit as hard (roughly, only about 100-150 less) normally as Crono did critting with the Rainbow Sword, and if SHE critted, 9999 damage.

estragon
09-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Am I the only one who ever bothered to get everyone (including Magus!) up to level **(99)?

No. I also collected tabs until I maxed out every stat that could be maxed out with tabs. It took a really, really long time. Ah, middle school.

Tomm Guycot
09-03-2007, 09:56 AM

Shivam, I'm only gonna say this once. Chrono Trigger is NOT a game where you ask people "hey, is this what I do here?" it's a game where you do what you do and watch the consequences unfold. You're going to ruin it for yourself if you worry about what other people do.

shivam
09-03-2007, 10:08 AM
i have this deep seated fear of playing a game wrong, and getting stuck somewhere past the point of no return. I have stopped playing tons of games because i can't get the final magic whatzit because i accidentally moved a box three steps to the left 40 hours ago. gotta play it right the first tiem.

Merus
09-03-2007, 10:11 AM
i have this deep seated fear of playing a game wrong, and getting stuck somewhere past the point of no return. I have stopped playing tons of games because i can't get the final magic whatzit because i accidentally moved a box three steps to the left 40 hours ago. gotta play it right the first tiem.
I'm absolutely the same, but trust us when we say that it's better if you play at least the first half of the game, up until the race at least, blind.

That said, don't open any chests until the endgame.

Kishi
09-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Chrono Trigger was made to be played through at least twice. New Game +, yo.

Zef
09-03-2007, 10:18 AM

You're not in much danger of that here, though. Chrono Trigger is very forgiving, and the ultimate stuff is freely available in easily-accessible dungeons by the endgame. Mind, there ARE a few areas that change drastically later on (think FFVI) and therefore several dungeons, uh, go away. But you will visit them all, and if you're the slightest bit thorough in your exploration, you won't have a problem.

That said, don't open any chests until the endgame.
Not any chests that exist in the future as well as the past, anyway.

Patrick
09-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Just how unplayable is the PS1 version? That's the only version I own, and I've never played through CT.

Mightyblue
09-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Crono & Crew: Hey Monsters! Let's Fight!
*Draw weapons*
Crono's Turn: Attack!
*slashes a rolypoly*

Tomm Guycot
09-03-2007, 11:57 AM

Except that CT came out in an era before mandatory Strat Guide purchases. Seriously, you'll enjoy teh game WAY MORE. We're talking like 500%

Parish
09-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Shivam, late in the game you are given a valuable, one-time resource, which can be used to make one of two types of item. But only one. You cannot have both in your first playthrough, because it is impossible. So maybe you should stop playing now.

Zen
09-03-2007, 12:18 PM
CT stands out as an obsessive's friend mostly because New Game + makes it its own strategy guide. Seriously, do anything you want and at worst it'll just be something you do different the next time through.

Still, it's worth telling you that there are black boxes with symbols on 'em that you'll be able to open later. Check them out in the past but don't open them, then open them in the future, then open them in the past. Other than that warning, do whatever.

Tomm Guycot
09-03-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm serious - you can't screw up worse in CT than I did my first time. It's probably my 3rd favorite RPG - so I clearly didn't ruin anything for myself. I'm begging you here, just play the game on its own terms.

reibeatall
09-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm gonna go grind with Gato.

reibeatall
09-03-2007, 12:48 PM
It it possible to change the PS2's PS1 recognition settings to make CT run faster?

Tomm Guycot
09-03-2007, 12:53 PM
It it possible to change the PS2's PS1 recognition settings

yes

to make CT run faster?

no

Mr. Sensible
09-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Just how unplayable is the PS1 version? That's the only version I own, and I've never played through CT.

Speaking as a cheap bastard who refuses to let a $30 video game purchase be squandered, the slowdown for the PSX version is...well, it's tolerable, mostly. Unless you've played the SNES version within the last year or so. It takes about 3-5 seconds to transition in and out of battle scenes. If you have a PS2 you can tweak the system config to ever-so-slightly speed up load times. Yes, it's a mediocre port of a great game. Ya take the good, ya take the bad.

Tom: No, huh? I could've swore the system config sped up load times a little. I dunno, it's probably not significant anyway.

P.S.: Almost forgot about the lag opening up your menu. And entering new areas. And a lot of other spots I'm probably forgetting. You might just want to walk away now.

Zen
09-03-2007, 02:00 PM
I remember it being playable, if not fluid. When I played on my PSone it was neither.

ScrambledGregs
09-03-2007, 02:35 PM
I've sat here for about 5 minutes trying to get down all my feelings and thoughts about this game, but the truth is that I'm just incapable of doing so. Anything I say (well, write) will be but a shadow of what this game means to me. It is one of my favorite games ever; definitely my favorite RPG ever. When I think of what a RPG has to do to be one of the greatest of the genre, I invariably use Chrono Trigger as a measuring stick to do so. From the battle system to the characters to the story to the music (my god, the music!!) to the New Game + feature to the perfect length (not really short, not too long) to the little touches in character animations or backgrounds...

I'm not going to play through it because I don't have access to it other than emulation but I hate playing console games on my computer. But I kind of feel like I don't need to play it anymore. Chrono Trigger is like a relationship that ends maybe before it should because you saw too much of each other in too short a period of time, but you have no bad feelings and only good memories.

MCBanjoMike
09-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Ugh, you guys are killing me. I really wish I could get my hands on a cart copy of CT, but I don't feel like dropping $50 for one used (which would probably need a new battery anyway). I've heard bad things about the PSX version, but are the load times any better on a PS2? Or, heck a PS3? Maybe that would convince me to buy one...

Edit: Oops, I think I just did the "hey, there's a second page??" thing.

Ben1842
09-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Okay a quick story.

When I worked at Game Crazy about 3 years ago. I came into work one day and saw a brand new copy of Chrono Trigger that someone had traded in. the cart looked like it was in great shape so I thought I'd buy it.
I walked past the counter and saw some boxes in the trash. Then I looked closer at the boxes and realized that they where like new snes boxes that had been smashed.
I saw Shadowrun, Lufia II and last but not least Chrono Trigger.
I asked my boss why all the boxes where in the trash and he said "some guy traded them all in sealed so I opened them to make sure the games where in them.
That seemed reasonable (a lot of that type of bait and switch going on at the time). but why put all the boxes in the trash?
He said "oh they wouldn't fit right in the case so I just threw away the boxes."

I was so close to a sealed copy of all 3 of those games. I still bought them since there was a sale of 3 "legacy" games for $15.

but I could have had them all in box for that. If only I had gotten to work 10 min earlier.

Eusis
09-03-2007, 03:31 PM
... Ugh. I understand the rationale, but the part of me that loves getting new games in perfect condition is outraged at that. It is kinda weird to do that though, you'd figure selling them on eBay for an inflated price would've been a smarter decision than simply trading them in at a store.

Alastor
09-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Just don't mess up your chance at the zodiac spear, whatever you do.

Gredlen
09-03-2007, 05:14 PM
I recently (well, maybe not too recently) obtained the SNES version of Chrono Trigger through eBay. I played through the game countless times back when it came out, but the game was actually my friend's, so when we parted ways, I was left with nothing... until the PSX version came out. Which was better than nothing, but worse than the SNES one. I was content to leave it at that for a while, but it's such an awesome game, I couldn't help myself after reading Revisiting Trigger.

It's hard for me to say exactly what it is I like about the game. It often feels very open-ended, however it's just linear enough so the player always feels like he has a sense of purpose. There's a good amount of variety in the settings, yet the time travel aspect keeps things from feeling incongruous. The ability to play through the game again while retaining the stats (and most of the items), combined with multiple endings, makes the game very replayable, and the game isn't any less fun with overpowered characters. It seems balanced in such a way as to not totally break the whole game.

I think I'm going to take a shower now, because all that gushing made me feel a little dirty.

Sanagi
09-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I actually played CT a little bit this morning for reasons unrelated to this thread: I had to know if the Lavos Core battle theme was as bad as the version on Brink of Time(the second half of "World Revolution"). It isn't. So I don't know what happened there.

ringworm
09-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Guys, this game is awesome.

I just "beat" Magus after getting the Masamune reforged and such. That entire trek through Magus' castle was a perfectly paced epic masterpiece of gaming.

Also, how excellent is it that your inactive party members still level up? I'll tell you. So excellent.

Also, Ozzie, Slash, and Flea? Awesome.

Also, this game must be gigantic. Looking at the world map I've barely seen any of it, and with the multiple time periods it feels like I've seen a ton of it.

I can't believe its taken me this long to finally sit down with this game.

PhoenixUltima
09-03-2007, 07:55 PM
I remember, once upon a time, when I had enough patience to grind long enough in the beginning to afford a lode sword. Of course that's sort of pointless since a steelsword costs much less and is only 2 points weaker.

Gredlen
09-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I remember, once upon a time, when I had enough patience to grind long enough in the beginning to afford a lode sword. Of course that's sort of pointless since a steelsword costs much less and is only 2 points weaker.

I too remember such a time. Ah, the things you do when you don't have to worry about jobs, and when homework was just a speed bump.

Issun
09-03-2007, 08:11 PM
I remember, once upon a time, when I had enough patience to grind long enough in the beginning to afford a lode sword.

You are a madman. I wanna party with you.

reibeatall
09-03-2007, 08:47 PM
I spent an hour and 15 minutes grinding for the Lode Sword today before work. And then I made sure to get the extra 77 exp I needed for that level up. And then I had to get the best armor from Porre.

After you get the tech points for Slash, Gato is your best friend for money. He gives the equivalent of 75 gp per fight.

Son of Prog
09-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Hey folks,

I'm a long-time reader, first-time forum-goer.

I bumped into Chrono Trigger at the impressionable age of ten and produced the following humorous anecdote:

On my first play through I was so daunted by Death Peak that I accidentally stumbled through most (if not all) of the side quests before I attempted to scale it.

Gredlen
09-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Hey folks,

I'm a long-time reader, first-time forum-goer.

I bumped into Chrono Trigger at the impressionable age of ten and produced the following humorous anecdote:

On my first play through I was so daunted by Death Peak that I accidentally stumbled through most (if not all) of the side quests before I attempted to scale it.

Death Peak initially had me scared, but I didn't go to quite those lengths.

Now, the Black Omen... THAT was terrifying.

SlimJimm
09-03-2007, 09:55 PM
This game holds so many special memories for me. I just have to gush about my love for this game.

It was the last day of school for me in the 7th grade, my dad brings home my first pet dog for our family, and my brothers and I got this game from Funcoland.
Too cool.

Anyways there was always something special about this game. Perhaps its that all the characters are actually useful and fun to play with. Maybe it is the way Double and Triple Techniques were implemented and enable all sorts of crazy moves depending on what spells you have and which characters are in play. Or it could be that instead of the usual evil emperor/evil god that wants to destroy the kingdom/world/universe its a giant prehistoric parasite from space that feeds on planets to make baby parasites.

God I dont know, the game was so great I actually went and fought Lavos on my first New Game+ after every little event.

Actually one of the funniest things that I did was go to fight Lavos the second it was available from the End of Time.
Begin battle - "Lavos rains destruction from the heavens" - Battle end :(

Tomm Guycot
09-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I'll tell my CT stories then...

I called Babbages about CT the entire week of its release, waiting for them to finally have it in. It was summer, so once it was in I had to beg my older sister to drive me there. I paid $90 for it. I brought it home and played it like a madman.

Two days later was school registration and I was already to the HUGE PLOT TWIST. I was supposed to walk to school to do it (15 mins away) but I was playing CT until literally the last second. I then paused the game and convinced dad to drive me. After school I ran home and finished the battle I was in. Went to my friend's house and indoctrinated him. He bought it a day later for $65.

I beat it the next day. I haven't played a game that hardcore since then. (Earlier that summer I did it with EarthBound). That year (Sophomore year) I would write the first CT ending FAQ on AOL, by beaeting the game after EVERY SINGLE event and noting when it changed. Man I had me some free time.

I'll always love Chrono Trigger for having innovations that still aren't widely used, despite how much sense they make (chief among them - fighting enemies where you see them). Even today when enemies are POLYGON and don't require meticulous animation we don't have them living in the environment the same way CT's enemies did (like the Roly's riding one another, etc). WHAT IS WRONG WITH MODERN RPG DESIGN!?!?!?!

I don't know why, but Summer '95 was a magical time for RPG innovation in America (so let's say '94 in Japan). Why it didn't stick I"ll never understand.

Son of Prog
09-03-2007, 10:23 PM
By the time I got to Death Peak, my party was well beyond adequate, heh.

Ah the Black Omen, how it hung so, uh, ominously. I loved seeing all the changes that would occur to the planet through the different time periods, and the presence of the Black Omen (much like the birth of Lavos) was awe-inspiring.

I recently gained the services of Frog, and I forgot how he spoke. It's a wonderful touch. Yakra, thine ass is grass!

SlimJimm
09-03-2007, 10:32 PM
The Black Omen freaked me out the first time. Zeal was still alive, and everything inside was so hard the first time I went in one.

Later on I learned to love the Black Omen once I discovered how many goodies there were from charming the enemies. Hello speed tabs <3

Sanagi
09-03-2007, 10:43 PM
WHAT IS WRONG WITH MODERN RPG DESIGN!?!?!?!
I think the real reason Chrono Trigger is so much better than anything released after it is that it is itself the product of time travel. It mysteriously fell through a time warp from a hundred years in the future, and Square had to bring together the most talented people in video games just to convince the world that they had actually made something that good.

Coinspinner
09-03-2007, 10:57 PM
I tried to start up a game but I can't make myself play any other RPG but Etrian right now.

reibeatall
09-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Is the music at the beginning of the Cathedral the same as the Water Temple music from Secret of Mana?

Red Hedgehog
09-03-2007, 11:43 PM
I didn't play Chrono Trigger for the first time until late '96/early '97. But I loved it then and have since replayed it three times. It is my favorite RPG.

For those who have a PS2, the Playstation version is tolerable to play. It isn't as fast as the cartridge, but for all the horror stories I heard about how slow it was, I really didn't find it bad. It may just be because I love the game so much, but I don't find the pauses to be that significant.

I think this will finally give me the excuse to get all the New Game+ endings.

Torgo
09-03-2007, 11:44 PM
CT is one of two games that I've accidentally fallen asleep playing and left running all night, only to wake up in the morning and immediately keep playing.

The other was Symphony of the Night.

Patrick
09-04-2007, 12:11 AM
I didn't play Chrono Trigger for the first time until late '96/early '97. But I loved it then and have since replayed it three times. It is my favorite RPG.

For those who have a PS2, the Playstation version is tolerable to play. It isn't as fast as the cartridge, but for all the horror stories I heard about how slow it was, I really didn't find it bad. It may just be because I love the game so much, but I don't find the pauses to be that significant.

I think this will finally give me the excuse to get all the New Game+ endings.

Thanks!

I think I'll start up a game once I finish Corruption, which should be in the next day or two.

Sanagi
09-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Is the music at the beginning of the Cathedral the same as the Water Temple music from Secret of Mana?
No.

*fires up Audio Overload....*

They both have a synth-choir and piano sound, but that's the only resemblance. The CT cathedral theme is one of the more filler-ish tunes in the game, only going about 15 seconds before repeating. The SoM tune is more interesting, with an actual "B" section, and characteristically of that game, much more active rhythm. Later in the game there's a second version of the theme which adds a dark bass atmosphere and some of SoM's trademark awesomely syncopated drums.

estragon
09-04-2007, 07:19 AM
My goal tonight was to start a file and finish off the minigames at the millenial fair. In reality, I barely forced myself to stop playing right before the Yakra fight, ane even then only because I stayed up way too late yesterday and need to sleep so that I will not be a zombie again at work tomorrow. It's taking all my willpower to go to sleep tonight instead of plowing through Chrono Trigger. I like this game lots.

Brickroad
09-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Random collection of Chrono Trigger thoughts, GO!

I remember getting a huge kick out of perfectly positioning the Epoch at just the right pixel under the Black Omen so that the swaying of the ship caused the location title to disappear every few seconds.

I resolved myself to level my favorite team (Crono/Ayla/Frog) to 99 at one point, but after several New Game + runs (each with multiple Black Omen trecks) I got insanely bored with it.

I'm one of those tards who simply cannot play the game without renaming Frog "Glenn" because it just doesn't feel right otherwise. On that note, you get some unintentionally amusing dialogue if you rename Robo "R66-Y".

Something CT and FF6 got right that every RPG afterwards gets wrong: the ability to form any party you want. It seemed so obvious at the time that nobody even thought about it, but nowadays you don't get a "3-man party" so much as a "2-man party plus the requisite hero".

Unfortunately I don't own the game anymore (SNES cart went missing when I was in high school, PSOne disc from FF Chronicles lost to the mists of time). Dozens of replays have left every moment permanently burned into my memory, though, so I can go ahead an just play it in my mind.

Swordian
09-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Hmmmm, the last time I played CT I was avoiding random battles (as much as possible) in order to prove to someone that the first Magus battle isn't hard. However, I seem to recall putting it down shortly after beating Yakra.

reibeatall
09-04-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm one of those tards who simply cannot play the game without renaming Frog "Glenn" because it just doesn't feel right otherwise. On that note, you get some unintentionally amusing dialogue if you rename Robo "R66-Y".

I was so going to name him Glenn, but I figured that would be too nerdy.

Like naming Red XIII Nanaki.

Gredlen
09-04-2007, 09:55 AM

Man, I forgot about that. After the first playthrough, I did that every time. I'm going to try the Robo thing this time around, though.
I'm not the only one who always renames characters so that their names aren't in ALL CAPS, right?

djSyndrome
09-04-2007, 10:13 AM

Then you should never pick up Final Fantasy XII again, because you've probably already gone and fucked it for yourself (see: Zodiac Spear).

Anyone know where I can get the SFC version of this for cheap? I sold both of my NA copies (SNES and PS1) last year and would like to try it out in Japanese.

sillbot
09-04-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm not the only one who always renames characters so that their names aren't in ALL CAPS, right?

Check. That's some terrible default behavior. FFVI has the same issue (among others, most likely).

Calorie Mate
09-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Shivam - I would like to echo Tomm in saying that you should just play the game how you want. There's nothing valuable you're going to miss, anyway. CT cares about you, and doesn't want to punish you.

I'd also like to agree with Tomm on the subject of, "Why the hell aren't RPGs these days more like Chrono Trigger?". For Pete's sake, it's widely considered one of the best in the genre to this day; you'd think designers might, y'know, want to look into why it has endured for so long.

spineshark
09-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Well, the nostalgia certainly helps.

I'm not hating, by the way, although it's true that everyone I've ever heard talk/write/whatever about it likes this game more than I do.

Brickroad
09-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Man, I forgot about that. After the first playthrough, I did that every time. I'm going to try the Robo thing this time around, though.

Chrono Trigger didn't do this, IIRC. This particular sin was localized only to FF6.

But yeah, all caps are annoying. Except in FF1, where it was fun to truncate the names of your characters like everything else in the game. LRRY, ROGR, WLLM and GREG! Revive the power of the ORBS!

Jeanie
09-04-2007, 12:51 PM

I too, renamed Frog Glenn after I did his part in the End Game Sandbox (i.e. after he accepted what happened and you got the Masamune's final form). I never did the Robo/R66-Y thing but I did rename Marle Nadia after I did the rainbow shell sequence. I justified that they changed their name because they came to grips with who they really were and decided to stop living the lie.

How's that for Nerd Points.

Brickroad
09-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I too, renamed Frog Glenn after I did his part in the End Game Sandbox (i.e. after he accepted what happened and you got the Masamune's final form). I never did the Robo/R66-Y thing but I did rename Marle Nadia after I did the rainbow shell sequence. I justified that they changed their name because they came to grips with who they really were and decided to stop living the lie.

That is one of the finest scenes in gaming, when he triumphantly shouts his real name, and then cuts the mountain in half, opening the path to Magus's cave. Much more powerful than, say, Tidus teaching Yuna how to fake-laugh.

How's that for Nerd Points.

The simple fact that you're keeping track of Nerd Points (NP) is worth a couple NP in and of itself.

juanfrugalj
09-04-2007, 02:06 PM
I call your Nadia and raise you a Janus. At least, I remember attempting to change his name. Can't remember if the game let me do it, though.

juanfrugalj
09-04-2007, 02:12 PM
That is one of the finest scenes in gaming, when he triumphantly shouts his real name, and then

Uh... that's not what he meant.

Eusis
09-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Popped it in and started a New Game +, renamed Marle to Nadia, then kicked Lavos' ass and got the Developer Room ending. It's kinda funny to read this line now:
Tetsuya Takahashi: If you thought this was tough, get a load of Final Fantasy 2
Back then, it was obviously promoting FFIV. Nowadays, it's more like some snide comment, telling you to play a game that really is a pain in the ass. Also, that makes me curious if they changed that to Final Fantasy IV for the Chronicles release. Can anyone confirm?

Gredlen
09-04-2007, 06:58 PM
When I was young, the Developer Room was my favorite ending. It'd be nice to see things like that more often.

SlimJimm
09-04-2007, 08:06 PM
I kinda found it funny that the "Game Over" sequence is considered an ending.

And is it just me or does that Lavos scream just give you goose bumps?

Sanagi
09-04-2007, 08:07 PM
The sped up credits are the best part.

Issun
09-04-2007, 08:49 PM

Lavos Scream < Kefka Laugh

Well, after I finally finish BioShock & Odin Sphere, I plan to do some serious SNES re-gaming. Including Super Metroid (already closed) and Chrono Trigger (it will probably be October by then, though. Poop.)

Son of Prog
09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
The only NP I collect are issues of Nintendo Power...they make for fun reading (see #35, the preview of the cd-rom attachment for snes).

Does Robo's venting pose remind anyone else of Elvis?

reibeatall
09-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Does Robo's venting pose remind anyone else of Elvis?

More like Rick Roll. In fact, there's a link somewhere on the main GameSpite page for a link.

Son of Prog
09-04-2007, 09:54 PM
More like Rick Roll. In fact, there's a link somewhere on the main GameSpite page for a link.

That is certainly true, although I was referring to this:

http://www.videogamesprites.net/ChronoTrigger/Party/Robo/Robo%20-%20Expand.gif

and something along the lines of this:

http://www.johnrook.com/Elvis%20Dancin_on_the_logo.jpg

sillbot
09-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Robo as Elvis. Hilarious.

Continuing on with the idea that CT isn't 100% perfect: some of the enemy character art isn't consistently awesome (i.e. Nizbel). And the screech sound effects are a little weak. For example, the weird PCM howl that some of the aliens and dinosaurs make is pretty anticlimactic. Like facing your ultimate fear and having it sound like a weird electric fart.

alexb
09-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Question: Were you playing the PSX version or are you talking about the SNES version?

sillbot
09-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Question: Were you playing the PSX version or are you talking about the SNES version?

SNES. Did it change for PSX? Did it get worse?

alexb
09-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Yeah. Everything about the PSX "port" was worse.

Zef
09-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Oh yes, I had nightmares about that sound. It's like a hundred shrieks gurgling through a thick, fleshy cavity inundated with blood. And then an even bigger beast comes from behind and swallows them. It was such a disappointment that Chrono Cross didn't have an equivalent sound.

PhoenixUltima
09-04-2007, 11:12 PM
I just got through the future a little while ago, and man I forgot just how bleak it is. Everything's broken and dingy, there are mutants roaming about, the few people left in the world huddling in their own little areas, always hungry, kept alive only by a machine that looks like it's on the verge of breaking down. CT and FF6 are the only RPGs I can think of that did both fantasy and post-apocalyptic settings, and did them both well.

djSyndrome
09-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Yeah. Everything about the PSX "port" was worse.

Except for the fifteen save slots!

(okay, yeah. the PS1 port sucked.)

Tomm Guycot
09-04-2007, 11:24 PM
In high school we were putting on a group skit that required a dragon. We put a guy in charge of finding a roar sound effect, and I suggested Lion King. He came to school the next day with the ROAR FROM THE DINOSAUR BOSS IN CHRONO TRIGGER.

I was pissed at that alone.

But when time came to play it in the middle of our skit, we discovered to my horror that he'd since rewound it all the way to the start, where he had 30 seconds of the music from that area before the roar even triggered.

Most awkward anything ever.

Gredlen
09-04-2007, 11:29 PM
For some reason, that story makes me feel very, very bad.

Tomm Guycot
09-04-2007, 11:43 PM
For some reason, that story makes me feel very, very bad.

Is your name John Huh? Cause if it is...

spineshark
09-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Maybe my lame story will be slightly uplifting.

I first played Chrono Trigger two years ago or so, and upon finishing all the sidequests and whatnot, I found that I just couldn't beat the final boss for some reason.

So I gave up for some months and came back. I decided to play through the whole thing again, and I enjoyed it just as much the second time. More actually, since I actually managed to beat it.

(note: the third time was also pretty good, but I don't know if I'm up for a fourth right now)

estragon
09-05-2007, 07:02 AM
Okay, I stopped today right before that stupid bike sequence in the future. And thank god I hate that minigame, or I'd be exhausted at work again tomorrow. As it is, I'm actually gonna be able to go to bed.

I know I've said this pretty much every time I've replayed a SNES RPG, but does anyone else think this game is just ridicuclously easy now? I'm not sure if this is because it's actually super easy or just because I still have every section of this game burned into my brain due to New Game+ing it so many times.

Stephen
09-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I know I've said this pretty much every time I've replayed a SNES RPG, but does anyone else think this game is just ridicuclously easy now?

CT's low difficulty was always the only thing I disliked about it--did make it easy for me to get all my friends to play through it though. The only tough battles are against the Guardian Bit, Queen Zeal at the Black Omen and Lavos. Everything else is cake.

Anyone else remember that stupid Lavos as Lassie thing from the Gaming Intelligence Agency? I can't really believe I remember it, but there you are.

SlimJimm
09-05-2007, 09:13 AM
While low difficulty might seem like a negative point now after playing through it so many times, it was nice that you never ever ever had to grind your way to a certain level to get through any part in the game.

The only time I remember "grinding", if you want to call it that, was where I would go into the Black Omen all three times to make sure most of my characters got the Tech points necessary to get most of their spells.

And if we still want to talk about sound effects, I always thought the Fire and Explosion noises were a little weak.

Lavos = Lassie???

Zef
09-05-2007, 09:22 AM
CT's low difficulty was always the only thing I disliked about it--did make it easy for me to get all my friends to play through it though. The only tough battles are against the Guardian Bit, Queen Zeal at the Black Omen and Lavos. Everything else is cake.
Ooh, I think you just called out Nu-form Spekkio. And weren't Giga Gaia and the Golems also huge PITAs to defeat, too?

Stephen
09-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Ooh, I think you just called out Nu-form Spekkio. And weren't Giga Gaia and the Golems also huge PITAs to defeat, too?

Well, Spekkio is completely optional so I didn't count his various forms. He was brutal no matter how powerful you were, though. Of course, I suppose Queen Zeal is also optional, since you don't have to go through the Black Omen to get to Lavos...

Anyway, Giga Gaia does mostly lightening damage so lightening absorb/reduction equiment turns him into Giga Kitten. The Golem Twins mirror any elemental attack you send their way, so elemental reduce/absorb stuff also makes them easy as pie.

juanfrugalj
09-05-2007, 04:20 PM
I remember Giga Gaia was hard the first time I beat it. The Golem Twins were tough because of that nasty Iron Orb attack.

Still, I'm not sure it's a great idea to judge a game by the amount of times it kills you. Just sayin'...

Zen
09-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Anyone else remember that stupid Lavos as Lassie thing from the Gaming Intelligence Agency? I can't really believe I remember it, but there you are.

I don't remember that one. Was it early in year one?

Here's a thought for how CT could have been better: having some side quests in 12,000 BC. I always felt like that era was never quite used enough.

Gredlen
09-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't remember that one. Was it early in year one?

Here's a thought for how CT could have been better: having some side quests in 12,000 BC. I always felt like that era was never quite used enough.

Although it would've been neat, it did have the effect of making me think of the era as a barren wasteland, which mostly seemed to be the case.

Stephen
09-05-2007, 10:26 PM
I remember Giga Gaia was hard the first time I beat it. The Golem Twins were tough because of that nasty Iron Orb attack.

Still, I'm not sure it's a great idea to judge a game by the amount of times it kills you. Just sayin'...

I'm not judging it on that, it's just that a slight lack of challenge is the only negative thing I can think to say about CT. It's not a problem so much as a minor nuisance. Heck, it's a quibble at best, the final gasp of a critic trying desperately to fault something that is as near perfection as any game can be.

What I'm trying to say is, I would marry CT if it were legal*.

(*and had a vagina)

PS@Zen: I'll see if I can dig up that Lavos skit, I might still have it on my old computer. I don't remember when it was from though--It might not have been from the GIA itself, but from the GIA forum or something. That was a long time ago and probably not nearly as funny as I remember.

juanfrugalj
09-06-2007, 06:29 AM
I'm not judging it on that, it's just that a slight lack of challenge is the only negative thing I can think to say about CT. It's not a problem so much as a minor nuisance. Heck, it's a quibble at best, the final gasp of a critic trying desperately to fault something that is as near perfection as any game can be.

What I'm trying to say is, I would marry CT if it were legal*.

(*and had a vagina)

Hey!

Wait your turn!

reibeatall
09-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Ok, answer me this, people. In 12,000BC, on the floating continent, there's a little island on the left. Is there any way to get there? I seem to recall getting there my FIRST time through the game, but that also was many a year ago, and I don't remember it very well.

Makkara
09-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Ok, answer me this, people. In 12,000BC, on the floating continent, there's a little island on the left. Is there any way to get there? I seem to recall getting there my FIRST time through the game, but that also was many a year ago, and I don't remember it very well.

You will get there later during the story, if it's the island I'm thinking of, which would be the one with the big airship.

Zef
09-06-2007, 08:49 AM
You will get there later during the story, if it's the island I'm thinking of, which would be the one with the [spoiler].
Or it could be one of the ones I'm thinking of, either where you find the Sun Stone, or the sealed shrine the people of Zeal sent their magical artifacts to after they no longer needed them.

Edit: My mistake. Both of the ones I mentioned are to the right, and the first isn't even on the floating kingdom. D'oh.

reibeatall
09-06-2007, 09:23 AM
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6471/zeal2ca1.gif

I thought the place circled in yellow was where you got the airship, where the place circled in red is what I'm talking about. And I keep dreaming that you can get there on your first visit to Zeal.

PhoenixUltima
09-06-2007, 09:29 AM
That is the sun keep. And no, you can't get to it during your stay in the magic kingdom.

On that note, am I the only one amused by the fact that if you save during that period of the game the save is called "The Magic Kingdom"?

EDIT: On the subject of amusement, for some reason going through Zeal this time around really reminded me of the movie Zardoz. The hippies with magic powers, people talking about things like crystals and dreams, the town full of listless, sleepy people. All it needs is the giant flying stone head, really.

Stephen
09-06-2007, 07:35 PM
EDIT: On the subject of amusement, for some reason going through Zeal this time around really reminded me of the movie Zardoz. The hippies with magic powers, people talking about things like crystals and dreams, the town full of listless, sleepy people. All it needs is the giant flying stone head, really.

Well, the stone heads and:

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8288/connerydozsz6.jpg

Parish
09-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Ah, yes, Dalton.

Son of Prog
09-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Something I noticed about the music in 12,000 BC (Corridors of Time), besides that it is awesome, is that the bells can be reproduced by playing behind the bridge of a guitar.

Tomm Guycot
09-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Ah, yes, Dalton.

You stole my exact joke you bastard.

Torgo
09-06-2007, 11:04 PM
That is the sun keep. And no, you can't get to it during your stay in the magic kingdom.
That would actually be the Sun Palace. The Sun Keep remains pretty much stationary in every time period.

switchbeat
09-07-2007, 06:24 AM
I'm very interested in starting this game--I've never played it--but I'm trying to budget my time. How long is an average play through? Is it variable depending on thoroughness? I definitely want to savor my time playing, so I want to set aside an appropriate chunk of time to play.

Tomm Guycot
09-07-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm very interested in starting this game--I've never played it--but I'm trying to budget my time. How long is an average play through? Is it variable depending on thoroughness? I definitely want to savor my time playing, so I want to set aside an appropriate chunk of time to play.

30 hours.

Zen
09-07-2007, 12:47 PM
...plus fifteen or so for the inevitable second playthrough on New Game +.

Mr. Sensible
09-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Yet it seems so much shorter when you actually play.

It's magic, y'know.

Eusis
09-07-2007, 02:28 PM
If you're replaying it on a fresh game (or just good at RPGs) I'm going to guess you'll take 20, even if it's been year since you played. If nothing else, that's how long I took.

... I should play more and get the other endings. Those I earned I barely remember anyway.

switchbeat
09-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Awesome. Thanks.

estragon
09-08-2007, 06:47 AM
I really like the End of Time.

Also, Spekkio just owned me. Hardcore. So many times. I should give up for now. . . but if I wait too long, I'll never get the reward for that stage of Spekkio. Yargh.

I do like the way they give at least sort of a reason the main characters can use magic, though. I'm always amused when it just so happens that the 7 people in your party just happen to be able to use magic in addition to raising cattle or whatever they do in their daily life. At least here they give a half assed reason as to why only your characters can do it.

shivam
09-09-2007, 12:25 AM
so is it worth grinding points for the lode sword?

Eusis
09-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Only if you want to be over powered. You can just ignore it if it's boring/frustrating and continue on with the game and buy it later.

Torgo
09-09-2007, 12:29 AM
I say no, personally. If you know where to go, one for free isn't more then a few hours away.

Tomm Guycot
09-09-2007, 01:25 AM
If you're grinding for ANYTHING it means you're doing it wrong.

Eusis
09-09-2007, 01:29 AM
I ground to get Luminaire! But I was 11 then and grinding just before the two golem bosses. I got Luminaire in the first half-ish of that dungeon when I replayed it a few weeks ago.

shivam
09-09-2007, 01:31 AM
i play RPGs to get the best thing available as soon as i can. its a character flaw.

Tomm Guycot
09-09-2007, 01:36 AM
i play RPGs to get the best thing available as soon as i can. its a character flaw.

I understood that when you told Parish :) The point is, CT is a 30 hour RPG and there are a LOT of swords. You could spend an hour grinding for one, only to find a better one a half hour after that. You really shouldn't be freaking out like this - you're going to ruin the game for yourself (until you get to 65 mil BC... then grind the hell out of it)

shivam
09-09-2007, 01:46 AM
well, i decided to say the hell with it and moved on. now i'm in the past with crono's banana sword.

shivam
09-09-2007, 02:06 AM
...i named the frog toasty...

djSyndrome
09-09-2007, 02:12 AM
...i named the frog toasty...

No, you didn't.

Kishi
09-09-2007, 02:17 AM
Yeah, there's a five-character name limit, or else Crono would be Chrono.

Sanagi
09-09-2007, 02:25 AM
Tosty?

ToasT?

Kishi
09-09-2007, 02:27 AM
TFrog, dogg.

shivam
09-09-2007, 02:28 AM
tosty. i had to.

Eusis
09-09-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm going to name him *Spoilers*.

shivam
09-09-2007, 02:32 AM
wasnt he on the box art? cause i swear i had a chrono trigger poster on my wall for years with crono and the frog dude there. it was during my toriyama fanboy phase.

Eusis
09-09-2007, 02:42 AM
I'm not sure what you're thinking but that's not why I went *spoilers* there, unless I'm missing something.

Kishi
09-09-2007, 03:03 AM
The funny thing about the main characters in Chrono Trigger is that four out of the seven of them enter the party under an alias of some kind, so a lot of players were inclined to name them "correctly" when going through again on a New Game +. I think this is what Eusis had in mind.

Merus
09-09-2007, 03:16 AM
If you're grinding for ANYTHING it means you're doing it wrong.
I got my ass handed to me in Zeal the last time I played. This is, of course, after having serious trouble with about the last half-dozen bosses before then.

So does that mean that my not grinding was also doing it wrong?

estragon
09-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Okay, so I'm going through this in Japanese, and I noticed a fun change. This may be common knowlege, but when when Frog lost the Hero's Medal in the Japanese game, it was because he was so freaking wasted. That equals hilarious, as far as I'm concerned. I always liked Frog, but now I like him even more. Hoo-ray for drunken swordsmen.

Also: Good job to Shivam for not grinding. The game gives you enough chances to be hilariously overpowered in New Game+ that it's really in your best interest to just experience it the first time through without grinding, because you'll be overlevelled anyway during your inevitable 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. playthroughs. (You're gonna try to get at least -some- of the other endings, right? If you want to be a completionist about it, I don't see how you can avoid it. If you master all the classes in FFV, then I don't see how you could possibly not see all the endings in Chrono Trigger.)

Alex
09-09-2007, 12:12 PM
I love all of the little touches regarding things you can change from the past to the present, it's like a video game version of Back to the Future!

Torgo
09-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Except waaaaay better.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b139/I_am_Torgo/backfuture23b.gif http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b139/I_am_Torgo/backttf1b.jpg
(Images courtesy VGMuseum)

Son of Sinistar
09-09-2007, 12:41 PM
wasnt he on the box art? cause i swear i had a chrono trigger poster on my wall for years with crono and the frog dude there. it was during my toriyama fanboy phase.

I'm pretty sure a poster came with the game that had Crono, Frog, and Marle doing a triple technique against an enemy in a snowy landscape. I don't think it was the box art, but I could be mistaken.

Rosencrantz
09-09-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm pretty sure a poster came with the game that had Crono, Frog, and Marle doing a triple technique against an enemy in a snowy landscape. I don't think it was the box art, but I could be mistaken.

That was the US box art, yeah. And Marle is casting a Fire spell, which, of course, is dead wrong.

chronolink
09-09-2007, 07:36 PM
I really like this game. Really really really like this game.

I also can not believe that there are not more RPGs that follow CTs conventions. Fights on the same screen, a small number of techniques that are useful all through the game, combo techniques make all parties completely different, fast battles, no need for grinding, not too many enemies so as not to drag down the pace, New Game +, etc.

I remember the first time I played FFVII, I was expecting it to be as big a step from CT as CT had been from FFVI. Then I saw it had gone back to random battles, back to 'fire2' making 'fire' completely obsolete and world map battles. And then Cloud was a whiny, lame spiky haired protagonist compared to Crono's silent just do it attitude, and Sephiroth was a like a failed Magus clone. I still weep for what could have been. And Chrono Cross, well, at least that had good music.

And I stopped making sense about 2 paragraphs ago, so I'll just stop now.

juanfrugalj
09-09-2007, 08:29 PM
(until you get to 65 mil BC... then grind the hell out of it)
But only in the Hunting Range. It's were the goodies are found.

That was the US box art, yeah. And Marle is casting a Fire spell, which, of course, is dead wrong.

Really? I thought that was Arc Impulse. The spell does flash like fire in the game.

I really like this game. Really really really like this game.

I also can not believe that there are not more RPGs that follow CTs conventions. Fights on the same screen, a small number of techniques that are useful all through the game, combo techniques make all parties completely different, fast battles, no need for grinding, not too many enemies so as not to drag down the pace, New Game +, etc.

I remember the first time I played FFVII, I was expecting it to be as big a step from CT as CT had been from FFVI. Then I saw it had gone back to random battles, back to 'fire2' making 'fire' completely obsolete and world map battles. And then Cloud was a whiny, lame spiky haired protagonist compared to Crono's silent just do it attitude, and Sephiroth was a like a failed Magus clone. I still weep for what could have been. And Chrono Cross, well, at least that had good music.

And I stopped making sense about 2 paragraphs ago, so I'll just stop now.

No, you're quite right. I would be more lenient with CC, though. It's much better than people give it credit for. Maybe it's the Schala debacle.

Gredlen
09-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I always felt Chrono Cross was a great game that had nothing to do with Chrono Trigger. I mean, sure, there are bones thrown here and there, and there's the whole Schala thing, but aside from that? Completely different.
And I didn't mind. I don't care about a Chrono Trigger sequel as much as I care about more games like Chrono Trigger. Which I guess Chrono Cross wasn't.

Anyway, Chrono Cross had what was possibly my favorite video game soundtrack ever.

Sanagi
09-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Chrono Cross was a bold narrative experiment: Is it possible to tell a story without any characters? Or more precisely, to tell a story with forty-five beings who are character-like on the surface, but are actually dummies who are assigned their dialogue by a generic script and a fully automatic accent vending machine? It's the 4'33" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4′33″) of video game plots.

(Pretentious sarcasm aside, as a game, it was brilliant, and it deserves an actual sequel just as much as Chrono Trigger did, and still does.)

shivam
09-09-2007, 11:08 PM
man, this future is fucking bleak.

Kishi
09-09-2007, 11:13 PM
That's why you have to stop it from happening!

shivam
09-09-2007, 11:42 PM
oh, and this rat chasing nonsense sucks.

alexb
09-09-2007, 11:49 PM
He has a set path, if I recall.

spineshark
09-10-2007, 12:16 AM
30 hours.
Now that it's been mentioned, I'd like to bring up something that has always confused me just a little bit. When people are extolling the praises of this game, they nearly always bring up its length. And I agree! I'm as much a fan of "short and sweet" as anyone, I dare say. But, and I don't know if this is because I'm the sort of person who typically plays through games, especially rpgs (because fewer encounters = harder bosses), as quickly as I can, 25 hours (which is about how long it took me, and is what I see usually mentioned) seems about like median and mode for me; FF 1, 3, 4, and 6 took me about this long, every tri-Ace game except Valkyrie Profile (which took me 40 hours the first time and 10 hours the second, going for the other ending on the other difficulty, but as you see they average out), and Breath of Fire V, Tales of Phantasia and Phantasy Star IV were shorter.

Not that I'm complaining. Not that I can't name a lot of rpgs that I've played which are longer, but they're nearly all over a generation newer. All I'm really wondering is, was it really that "short" back in the day, or has everyone confused themselves in the past decade with fifty-hour festivals of cutscenes and stupid[ly long] battle animations?

Man, I'm being such a downer in this thread. What the HELL, man.

shivam
09-10-2007, 01:53 AM
ok, i did something wrong. i'm in the factory and i cleaned out the right entrance, and now i'm going to the left side. but when i go to basement 2 or 3, there are lasers in the way. where do i go to turn them off?

estragon
09-10-2007, 03:19 AM
ok, i did something wrong. i'm in the factory and i cleaned out the right entrance, and now i'm going to the left side. but when i go to basement 2 or 3, there are lasers in the way. where do i go to turn them off?

I get the dungeons in the future mixed up in my head (even though I just did this a couple days ago myself), but I am about 90% sure that the solution is one of the two following possibilities:

1) You didn't actually finish the right side. Did you find the password yet? If you didn't, go back to find it and then find where you use it on the left side.

or

2) You missed a switch somewhere.

SlimJimm
09-10-2007, 09:00 AM
a small number of techniques that are useful all through the game, combo techniques make all parties completely different,

The techs and combos are one of my favorite things about this game. Even while techs like Cyclone arent as powerful as say Confusion later on in the game, its still pretty useful because you can hit 2-4 enemies, or combine it with Fire for Fire Whirl for a MP cheap combo.

shivam
09-10-2007, 02:33 PM
ok, am i wrong or is this overworld music hte same as ff6?

Gredlen
09-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Each era has its own overworld music, so unless you went to FF6 AD, you're probably wrong.

shivam
09-10-2007, 03:15 PM
i popped out of the whirlpool after the village of magic area back by lucca's house, and the overworld music was pure FF6. i swear it was.

Gredlen
09-10-2007, 03:34 PM
I think you've been drinking too much soda pop at the Millenial Fair.

Alex
09-10-2007, 04:00 PM
They do sound a little similar! I'm willing to meet you halfway if you'll agree that Kefka's Theme sounds like the old final fantasy title music but with the notes at a different pace or tempo or whatever.

I *LOVE* the optional character development sidequests. Even a little thing like going back in time and saving Lara's mom in 990 AD is enough to soften my heart. I love games like this and FF6 and FFXII whose plots don't have a central main character, and they're more of an ensemble cast. And I love stuff like that and going into Cyan's mind to cure him of his guilt. Is there a guide somewhere of all the various things that change, like turning that one guy from greedy to charitable?

Also, in the original timeline, does Magus die when attempting to summon Lavos?

Jeanie
09-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Also, in the original timeline, does Magus die when attempting to summon Lavos?

Spoilers:

If I remember correctly, yes he did. And when Crono and his friends showed up to stop Magus from what they thought was summoning him, it interupted his spell and sent Crono and friends to Ayla's time and Magus back to 32,000 BC.

On a wierd tangent, what did the BC stand for in Chrono Trigger? Was there a Christ figure? Well other than Crono I mean.

Guy
09-10-2007, 04:32 PM
On a wierd tangent, what did the BC stand for in Chrono Trigger? Was there a Christ figure? Well other than Crono I mean.

The BC stood for "Before Crono (give or take a thousand years)"

Eusis
09-10-2007, 04:44 PM
A quick peek at Wikipedia also shows BC as referring to "Before Common Era" (albit as BCE). You could come to the conclusion that the founding of Guardia would've been about the start of their common era. I suppose logically then it'd be BG and AG, Before and after Guardia, but AD and BC are more recognizable.

Zef
09-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Know what amazes me, though? Even though the original timeline didn't have the Black Omen looming ominously over the land, you don't exactly hear anyone talk about it throughout 600AD, 1000AD, or even in the far future once it comes into existence. What's more, you'd figure that a giant hi-tech flying fortress with a spiky-haired, Lavos-worshipping megalomaniac at the helm would at least inspire a cult or two. I mean, it's not as if she even did anything to uphold her newfound rule over the world. She was just THERE. For 14300 years, at that. Whatever hobbies she had, they must've been QUITE engrossing.

...great. Now I'm wondering if destroying it circa 1000AD (the last time period when you can actually enter) led directly to Porre scavenging it and then rising as a military power in time for Chrono Cross.

Gredlen
09-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm pretty sure a couple of people mention it.

Guy
09-10-2007, 06:35 PM
I assumed the Black Omen just sort of existed simultaneously in every era. Then again, was it there in 65,000,000 BC?

As for people not noticing it, well, I guess when there's a big fortress just sitting there in the same place for thousands of years that never actually does anything, you grow accustomed. I don't remember cults, but I seem to recall the imps in that one village were somewhat fond of it. It's the closest thing they use for an object of worship after you change Magus's and Ozzie's role in history.

Gredlen
09-10-2007, 06:51 PM
I assumed the Black Omen just sort of existed simultaneously in every era. Then again, was it there in 65,000,000 BC?

Nope.

shivam
09-10-2007, 06:52 PM
how does trigger relate to cross?

Jeanie
09-10-2007, 06:58 PM

Beat CT first then we'll explain as it involves spoilers.

chronolink
09-10-2007, 06:59 PM

It has the word 'Chrono' as part of the name, and they both have a kickass soundtrack.

ProfessorS
09-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Know what amazes me, though? Even though the original timeline didn't have the Black Omen looming ominously over the land, you don't exactly hear anyone talk about it throughout 600AD, 1000AD, or even in the far future once it comes into existence. What's more, you'd figure that a giant hi-tech flying fortress with a spiky-haired, Lavos-worshipping megalomaniac at the helm would at least inspire a cult or two. I mean, it's not as if she even did anything to uphold her newfound rule over the world. She was just THERE. For 14300 years, at that. Whatever hobbies she had, they must've been QUITE engrossing.

...great. Now I'm wondering if destroying it circa 1000AD (the last time period when you can actually enter) led directly to Porre scavenging it and then rising as a military power in time for Chrono Cross.

I swear there's a few people in 1000 AD mention it. Something along the lines of "What a lovely day today! The Black Omen is shining in the sun!"

Zen
09-10-2007, 07:45 PM
CC is actually just Xenogears in sheep's clothing.

Parish
09-10-2007, 07:53 PM

BANNED

Merus
09-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I thought they finished CC though?

SamuelMarston
09-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Do you know if Squenix has plans to release Chrono Trigger on GBA?

Guy
09-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I didn't think anyone had plans to release anything for the GBA anymore.

I'd love to see a DS port, but PSP seems much more likely.

Parish
09-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Even more likely: Every Square-created series that isn't directly tied to Final Fantasy will continue to be ignored forever, because anything without the Final Fantasy name isn't a guaranteed half-million seller.

Gredlen
09-10-2007, 08:28 PM
I was secretly hoping for a Chrono Trigger port for the entire lifespan of the GBA.

shivam
09-10-2007, 08:59 PM
wow, my first death, at the hands of fused masamune.

juanfrugalj
09-10-2007, 09:26 PM
At least there's hope for a Virtual Console release, right?

Right?

Sanagi
09-10-2007, 10:55 PM
i popped out of the whirlpool after the village of magic area back by lucca's house, and the overworld music was pure FF6. i swear it was.
If you're talking about the tunes I think you are, then my rough impression is that the melodies tend to begin phrases in the same place rhythmically(pickup on beat four) and end phrases on the same scale degrees. Which is not all that much of a resemblance, really.

They do sound a little similar! I'm willing to meet you halfway if you'll agree that Kefka's Theme sounds like the old final fantasy title music but with the notes at a different pace or tempo or whatever.
You mean the Final Fantasy theme? Now that you mention it, the opening phrases are similar, with Kefka adding more notes to the climb before dropping down again. But the mood is so different that I'd never made a connection between them before.

There's a difference. Xenogears had characters. Chrono Cross had an actual battle system.

shivam
09-10-2007, 11:14 PM
man, i'm telling you. i have my DS open here, and i compared the two songs. i even replicated the event by jumping into the whirlpool down by the magic village and seeing if it was a fluke or something.

Alastor
09-10-2007, 11:23 PM
At least there's hope for a Virtual Console release, right?

Right?

I seriously hope so. Come on, Square. Rename the game "Final Fantasy Trigger: Sturn X Sturnum Crisis" if you must, just get this game onto VC. Heck, there's an entire generation who have no idea what they're missing. Show us you still care.

Gredlen
09-10-2007, 11:40 PM
man, i'm telling you. i have my DS open here, and i compared the two songs. i even replicated the event by jumping into the whirlpool down by the magic village and seeing if it was a fluke or something.

Ok, ok, man. I believe you. Put down the gun.

ringworm
09-10-2007, 11:43 PM
The Square I know would never release a product for $10 when they could very easily do a haphazard update and re-release it for full price.

jpm84
09-11-2007, 12:16 AM
this song or that song

Yeah, there's a couple songs that sound kind of the same. Here's evidence (http://rickrobo.ytmnd.com/).

Sanagi
09-11-2007, 01:16 AM
There's sound-a-likes of the Zeal theme on the soundtracks of Robot Carnival(Franken's Gears) and the second Tenchi Muyo movie(AKA the really bad one).

estragon
09-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Magus is a really good boss.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Kishi
09-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Exchange this world for...!

There was actually an old fansite on Geocities that went in-depth comparing every single character in the game to some Biblical figure. The guy called it "The Revelation of Chrono Trigger."

TheSL
09-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Maybe it was "Before Crono"

Jeanie
09-11-2007, 11:27 AM

*sigh* Then 1000 AD (Crono's home time period) would not be 1000 AD, it would be 0 (give or take 15ish). Also 600 AD (when Frog is from and when you fight Magus) would then have to be 400 BC.

So stop with the idea that it's Before Crono please.

There was actually an old fansite on Geocities that went in-depth comparing every single character in the game to some Biblical figure. The guy called it "The Revelation of Chrono Trigger."

You mean, even more than the names of the Three Wise Men (AKA The Sages of Time)?

ringworm
09-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I completely buy into this. Can I subscribe to your newsletter? Are there any rallies I need to go to?

Red Hedgehog
09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Man, I am so out of practice with this game. I fired it up last night to get some of the endings I had never gotten before...

...and I died the first time I fought Lavos. Boo.

TheSL
09-11-2007, 02:12 PM
*sigh* Then 1000 AD (Crono's home time period) would not be 1000 AD, it would be 0 (give or take 15ish). Also 600 AD (when Frog is from and when you fight Magus) would then have to be 400 BC.

So stop with the idea that it's Before Crono please.

I completely buy into this. Can I subscribe to your newsletter? Are there any rallies I need to go to?

It was a terrible terrible joke, geez.

Calorie Mate
09-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I swear there's a few people in 1000 AD mention it. Something along the lines of "What a lovely day today! The Black Omen is shining in the sun!"

That line would be from Chrono's mother.

Zen
09-11-2007, 03:29 PM
BANNED

Haha, I don't mean that in all respects. CC is actually a really fun game in a lot of ways, with not enough but still some references to CT. But I always felt like there were more XG references, and the stories really are analagous.

Alex
09-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Killing Magus seems so hollow, especially for not having Frog in the party at the time.

shivam
09-11-2007, 07:44 PM
why do the cavemen speak english?

and i really hate the stereotype that ancients spoke any less complex than we do. Try looking at sanskrit sometime and tell me how unga bunga it is.

Eusis
09-11-2007, 08:00 PM
That was somewhat bugging me on my last playthrough, but you could rationalize it as that the Reptites invented their language, and humans then were simply trying to use it as best as they could. They only advanced enough to fully grasp it afterwards.

Parish
09-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Oh my god the game is ruined

alexb
09-11-2007, 08:54 PM

and i really hate the stereotype that ancients spoke any less complex than we do. Try looking at sanskrit sometime and tell me how unga bunga it is.

First off, these guys aren't exactly Bronze Age city dwellers. Second, they're in 65 Million BC, alongside dinosaurs. Third, the cavemen speak English so they can tell you where the next dungeon is.

juanfrugalj
09-11-2007, 08:54 PM
That line would be from Chrono's mother.

If I remember correctly, it's from an old man near the Hero's Grave. Right?

You mean, even more than the names of the Three Wise Men (AKA The Sages of Time)?

Magus as a False Prophet, Ayla as Moses, Nu as angels... that kind of thing.
It was archived in the Chrono Compendium here:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/CTT:ChronoEnigma.html

Oh, grow up.

Red Hedgehog
09-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Yay, so tonight I played a couple New Game+ hours of of Chrono Trigger to see some new endings. I got the Legendary Hero through Dino Age endings. The Oath and Dino Age had some cool thought put into them (Legendary Hero wasn't bad ether).

I'm playing the PlayStation version of Chrono Trigger so most of these endings included the new animated scenes. Which are pretty cool until I see the teasers they put in for Chrono Cross and then I *frumple*.

Rosencrantz
09-11-2007, 09:59 PM
I just finished the Mountain of Woe, and I just thought of something for the first time: Before Crono & Friends' meddling, how did Melchior get sent through time with Janus and the other two gurus? How did he get from imprisonment on the Mountain to the bottom of the Ocean Palace? Barely any time passes between when you save him and the whole Lavos scene plays out.

Zef
09-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Like Magus getting killed while summoning Lavos, I always figured that the original timeline had the planetophagic urchin getting fed up at Zeal draining its power through the Mammon Machine, and bringing down the Floating Kingdom all the same --including the Mountain of Woe, which somehow frees Melchior. Then it flings the three Gurus far into the future (or its end. Poor Gaspar.)

Guy
09-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I just finished the Mountain of Woe, and I just thought of something for the first time: Before Crono & Friends' meddling, how did Melchior get sent through time with Janus and the other two gurus? How did he get from imprisonment on the Mountain to the bottom of the Ocean Palace? Barely any time passes between when you save him and the whole Lavos scene plays out.

I thought maybe a predestination paradox because it was also Crono and the gang's meddling which created the Masamune, but that doesn't explain how none of the other things they did (like getting Magus sent back to 1200 BC rather than killed by Lavos) wasn't also written into history to begin with. So probably just a plothole, or maybe they were only doing things that Schala would've eventually done herself out of frustration.

Merus
09-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Even more likely: Every Square-created series that isn't directly tied to Final Fantasy will continue to be ignored forever, because anything without the Final Fantasy name isn't a guaranteed half-million seller.
This is the thing I like about Square: they know they can slap the Final Fantasy name on anything and it'll sell. Instead of succumbing to sequelitis, they experiment, often quite wildly, safe in the knowledge that it's not going to be that risky for them just so long as they call it a Final Fantasy. (I don't think it's coincidence that the last games in the series have been, in order: much lighter in mood than normal; an MMO; a real-time RPG; a mobile game with optical recognition; a third-person shooter; and an action RPG.)

It's almost as if they're using Final Fantasy to bootstrap the rest of the company's development teams. Like making crappy licensed games before you can do your own IP, but with Final Fantasy.

spineshark
09-12-2007, 12:07 AM
That's...certainly a take I've never heard before.

Merus
09-12-2007, 12:42 AM
That's...certainly a take I've never heard before.
It worries me that I've stumbled upon a new brand of crazy.

Well, I've always thought that sequels were an opportunity waiting to be seized. Unlike in movies, sequels in gaming tend to be better than their predecessor because they're part software, and software improves over time (mostly). So you have an existing, and popular, IP, and a codebase that's relatively stable, so the risks are lower for a sequel. Why not use that lower risk by taking some risks in the sequel? If you structure it right, you'll open up further avenues for the franchise to go, you allow your developers to be properly creative and you'll have code that you can then spin off into further genres that cost less to make than starting from scratch.

Admittedly this also works the other way: if you've got a stable code-base, you can do a new IP a lot easier if you use the old engine. Nintendo appears to do this, as they shuffle their graphics engine between Mario and Zelda and add new things to it like water physics (Wind Waker, for instance, used Sunshine's water physics) and lighting (Galaxy appears to be using Twilight Princess' lighting model), and then they hand that engine off to smaller, cheaper projects like Pikmin. Sort of like an internal version of the Unreal Engine.

estragon
09-12-2007, 03:04 AM
probably just a plothole

Whoah whoah whoah whoah. Are you suggesting that a silly story for an RPG involving time travel might not not have some fundamental paradoxes and thus you probably shouldn't think about it too much?

Now you've gone too far.

Sanagi
09-12-2007, 03:49 AM
Chrono Trigger isn't wrong. Chrono Trigger is a constant. It must be causality that's wrong.

estragon
09-12-2007, 04:09 AM
I'm willing to believe that for some reason?

Kishi
09-12-2007, 07:33 AM

There's actually justification for this. In the Chrono world, human beings didn't gain sophisticated intelligence until they made contact with the Frozen Flame.

estragon
09-12-2007, 07:55 AM
There's actually justification for this. In the Chrono world, human beings didn't gain sophisticated intelligence until they made contact with the Frozen Flame.

You bring that Chrono Cross story up again, and I know exactly where I'm going to be sticking these bananas. (My ears people. My ears. It's gonna be Mike Jones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_tropics) all over the place.)

And for the record, I liked Chrono Cross very, very much. But I think it's sort of silly to use it to try to seriously justify why the people in 65 million BC speak cave man English. Yes, it's sorta weird. But you know what else is sorta weird? That there is a race of lizard people in 65 million BC who speak even better English. And you know what's weirder? The entire concept of the game.

That being said, I just got to Zeal, and I'm loving this game even more every day. I played through all the SNES Final Fantasies again in the last year or so, and none of them held up for me as well as this game does. If anything, it's even more fun now because I'm smarter about forming diverse parties to keep everyone's skills up to date. When I played this in middle school, I didn't really get how to use Robo or Lucca effectively, and I tended to basically stick with a Crono, Frog, Marle party. Now that I'm not so dumb, I have a lot more fun by switching up my party all the time. Everyone stays on a good level without having to grind, and the battles stay interesting.

Hoo-ray for Chrono Trigger.

I heart this game.

Kishi
09-12-2007, 08:30 AM
And for the record, I liked Chrono Cross very, very much. But I think it's sort of silly to use it to try to seriously justify why the people in 65 million BC speak cave man English. Yes, it's sorta weird. But you know what else is sorta weird? That there is a race of lizard people in 65 million BC who speak even better English. And you know what's weirder? The entire concept of the game.

It's not like they felt they had to justify it and scrambled to come up with an excuse. The Frozen Flame backstory just happens to account for it.

mr_bungle700
09-12-2007, 09:19 AM
In truth, you're all wrong. The people in 65 million BC speak Japanese.

Zen
09-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I thought internal to CT that it was simply Lavos choosing the humans as its vector or whatever. Lavos controlled humanity's evolution at the reptites' expense.

Zef
09-12-2007, 01:12 PM
If by "at the reptites' expense" you mean "crashed into the planet and kicked up a nuclear winter that killed the Reptites deader than dead," of course.

spineshark
09-12-2007, 01:25 PM
What else would he be referring to?

Gredlen
09-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Well, several scientists have found correlations between the arrival of Lavos and the rise of exorbitant tollbooth fees, most of which the Reptites were unable to pay.

estragon
09-12-2007, 03:35 PM
In truth, you're all wrong. The people in 65 million BC speak Japanese.

And very silly Japanese at that.

Kupek
09-12-2007, 10:42 PM
This is the only Talking Time thread I've read in a month. No time, no time. And if there's no time for Talking Time, there's certainly no time for Chrono Trigger.

Guys, I'm gaming vicariously through you. More than normal. Keep the thread going. Some of us need that Chrono Trigger lovin'.

shivam
09-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Well, i've been busy trekking through magus's castle. Ozzie is a really annoying fat piccolo.

shivam
09-12-2007, 11:42 PM
this three man party thing is really grating on me.

Eusis
09-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Man, unlike most recent games that stick with 3 party members I really think Chrono Trigger would've been way too much of a mess with 4 or more.

shivam
09-12-2007, 11:50 PM
i'm from the suikoden school of thought. give me a six man front any day of the week.