PDA

View Full Version : Wait, they launched a reboot of Gamma World?

Brer
10-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Why does no one TELL me these things?!

Lucas
10-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Wait, what? Let's look this up... releasing this month... compatible with D&D 4E rules, but not an expansion... collectible card component... wait, what?

shivam
10-14-2010, 11:18 PM
and it's a motherfucking ccg. fuck that.

sraymonds
10-15-2010, 04:49 AM
The CCG element is purely optional. If you were so inclined you could stick with the cards that came in the starter set and you'd be fine.

Though I did read that once all the cards were out, WotC is going to put out a list with cards and info on it so people could just print them out.

poetfox
10-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Cards are amazing, and much more friendly. For what I understand is a silly sort of fun game, I can see their logic in putting everything on cards instead of, say, a big table of things to roll on.

Now, the cost, maybe that's less a good idea.

In any case, I had never heard of this, but the Penny Arcade thing made me very excited to look into it more.

kaisel
10-15-2010, 08:29 AM
I haven't decided yet if I'm going to pick this up (have a lot of unused RPG stuff, so my wife is getting a little frustrated), but I know a good chunk of comic/games shops run the WoTC game days, and Gamma World's on the 23rd, if you want to test it out. Luckily I have a friend who's running the game day in my area, so I can at least try it out next week. Though I think it's "suggested" that you buy two booster packs, which is kinda lame.

I'm interested in the game for the most part, some of the previews make the mechanics look interesting, but I dunno if I like the whole "wacky" angle that they've been pushing, since it seems like that's what the focus is on (though I guess it could have been like that in the original version). I just hope the game is suited to a campaign (even if it's a short one) since the previews seem to indicate that it's focused on one shots.

poetfox
10-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Please do tell me if I'm wrong, but as Tycho stated, and from what I know, Gamma World seems like the DnD version of Paranoia. I love the crap out of Paranoia. It's amazing one-shot hilarity, a perfect single go of tabletop gaming when you have a group of humorous and backstabbing friends. You can run a Paranoia campaign, but I have no idea why you'd want to, as that seems like it would kind of negate the whole point, at least in the way I enjoy it. Some of that silly fun with the more refined combat of a Dungeons and Dragons would be fantastic. I feel like that's the whole appeal and that is why I would pick it up.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, so I don't, I dunno, put it on a Christmas list mistakenly. Heh.

kaisel
10-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Please do tell me if I'm wrong, but as Tycho stated, and from what I know, Gamma World seems like the DnD version of Paranoia. I love the crap out of Paranoia. It's amazing one-shot hilarity, a perfect single go of tabletop gaming when you have a group of humorous and backstabbing friends. You can run a Paranoia campaign, but I have no idea why you'd want to, as that seems like it would kind of negate the whole point, at least in the way I enjoy it. Some of that silly fun with the more refined combat of a Dungeons and Dragons would be fantastic. I feel like that's the whole appeal and that is why I would pick it up.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, so I don't, I dunno, put it on a Christmas list mistakenly. Heh.

After doing a bit of research (since I'm still on the fence about this), it does seem like Tycho's description is a good one, and it looks like it's flexible enough to encompass both one-shot hilarity or a campaign. One-shots especially since it looks like they have a lot of quick ways to generate characters (for one-shots) with some sort of leveling scheme (for campaigns).

I'll hopefully know more next weekend when/if I get a chance to try it out.

sraymonds
10-15-2010, 09:31 AM
I've ordered my copy and should hopefully be arriving next Wednesday. At the very least I'll be able to do some character generation with my players.

Lucas
10-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Ninety percent of my gaming these days is over the internet with high school and college buddies who are spread all over the state, so I'm interested to know how easy this would be to run online, particularly if only one or two people in the group had the game and had to explain powers to the other players.

shivam
10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Every time I've played gamma world, it's never been force fed hilarity like paranoia, but very much post apocalyptic mutation city. It's a really really great setting, and i am not a fan of this new iteration, from what i've read.

Crested Penguin
10-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I think the trickiest part to running it online would be the mutation part, which is where the cards come in. They're more or less power cards that get changed every encounter. You swap mutations pretty frequently, so having the GM draw the cards and copy them to the players would get kinda annoying.

The CCG meme is pretty hilarious and wrong though. There's no deck building or strategy to the cards any more than you build the card deck of items in Arkham Horror. In fact, that's basically what the extra cards are akin to, getting an expansion for AH like King in Yellow, which is basically more random possibilities for the decks.

shivam
10-15-2010, 11:25 AM
randomized booster packs? that's complete bullshit for rpgs.

sraymonds
10-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Yeah, that's the main thing that bugs me about this iteration. I was hoping that they had gone with Fantasy Flight Game's LCG model for the boosters.

Crested Penguin
10-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Random booster packs of the random mutations you're randomly assigned? It's like there's some kinda theme here or something but I can't put my finger on it.

shivam
10-15-2010, 11:39 AM
then do it like dominion, put everything in the box and randomly deal that shit out.

Comb Stranger
10-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Random booster packs of the random mutations you're randomly assigned? It's like there's some kinda theme here or something but I can't put my finger on it.

A-HA!

Booster
Mutations
Assigned

Each word has a double letter.

pence
10-15-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't know what the profits for something like this look like, but I'm sure it made a bigger number somewhere with randomized boosters. Personally, I'd rather see LCG-style sets of cards in anything that isn't actually a CCG. CCGs get a pass because 1) I'm already used to them, and 2) I like booster draft.

Any idea if the boosters have rarities? That would be bizarre.

Crested Penguin
10-15-2010, 12:30 PM
They do have rarities, which is pretty dumb. I suppose the idea is that some mutations/tech are supposed to be rarer in your deck because they're stronger or whatever.

Lucas
10-15-2010, 01:28 PM
I think the trickiest part to running it online would be the mutation part, which is where the cards come in. They're more or less power cards that get changed every encounter. You swap mutations pretty frequently, so having the GM draw the cards and copy them to the players would get kinda annoying.

Annoying, yes, but easier than typing out all class features over and over until the players finally decide on an upgrade and more legit (and probably less annoying) than just playing out of .pdf files. Of course I'd still like to try it out before actually paying money for it and trying to convince my friends to play it....

Googleshng
10-15-2010, 01:53 PM
You swap mutations pretty frequently

... why? I mean, silly game or not, that just strikes me as the sort of thing that will totally derail anything. And I say that as someone who has seen a LOT of light hearted games totally fall apart the instant the GM starts rolling on the random transformation table.

Presumably the answer to my why is "so they can sell random mutation cards" but, you know, I'm still questioning the decision over here.

sraymonds
10-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Here's that list of the Gamma World cards. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List?pg=1) Go git you some

Crested Penguin
10-15-2010, 07:11 PM
... why? I mean, silly game or not, that just strikes me as the sort of thing that will totally derail anything. And I say that as someone who has seen a LOT of light hearted games totally fall apart the instant the GM starts rolling on the random transformation table.

Presumably the answer to my why is "so they can sell random mutation cards" but, you know, I'm still questioning the decision over here.

It kind of strikes me as the Smash Bros of RPGs, where a big part of the fun is random shit happening. It's actually the most appealing element for me, along with rationalizing the less sensible origin combinations.

Lucas
10-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Here's that list of the Gamma World cards. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List?pg=1) Go git you some

Ok, if the cards are that chatty it might be a pain to transcribe them for remote players.

It kind of strikes me as the Smash Bros of RPGs, where a big part of the fun is random shit happening.

So all the serious players are going to insist that the cards ruin the game?

Well then.

Don't mean anything by this, just poking a little fun.

Cyrael
10-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Hah! I am still pretty stoked about this, regardless of the direction it is taking. My original gaming group played the second revision of Gamma World when we were in middle school, and it was just a wonderful level of bizarre.

Everything I've read about this makes it sound like it would be pretty fun for a short run campaign or a one shot specifically.

I remember in the old versions you would randomly determine your mutations at character creation, and they stuck unless you happened upon something in the world that gave you more.

I also seem to remember tables of random events in attempting to use future-tech items that quite often resulted in us pointing the wrong end of the blaster rifle at our face.

It sure was great!

benjibot
10-15-2010, 09:21 PM
I kind of love and hate the CCG element at the same time.

The random part of it seems pretty nifty, actually. In as much as it makes the mutations that much more unexpected. What bugs me is I'd feel compelled to amass a complete set. I wouldn't do it, but it would bother me that I hadn't.

I can't see much of a robust trading market either, given that it's not an actual game in and of itself.

But still, Gamma World! I always wanted to play it. I'd seen ads for it, or read about it, or something back in the day.

marcalan
10-17-2010, 03:50 PM
I'd be alot more for this if the cards were done Munchkin style where you get a whole set instead of randoms.

pence
10-19-2010, 06:53 AM
I think I might need to try running some one-shots with this. If people want to use mutations that aren't in the starting set, it should easy to just roll a d100 on a table of cards, as long as people are ok with a high degree of randomness and don't feel the need to customize their decks.

It's not so much the randomness that bothers me, it's the rarities.

shivam
10-19-2010, 10:51 AM
i wish there was a way to test this without having to buy it first. i hate buying games sight unseen, especially ccgs.

sraymonds
10-19-2010, 11:40 AM
I have the set in front of me if you have any questions.

shivam
10-19-2010, 11:45 AM
have you played it? can you walk us through a typical session, or even combat round?

pence
10-19-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't have the game, but there's a review (unplayed) that goes into some details of character generation here: http://rpggeek.com/thread/573088/gamma-world-review-a-review-of-the-game-as-read

And a (probably embellished) session report here: http://rpggeek.com/thread/575459/show-me-on-the-robot-where-the-bad-plant-touched-y

sraymonds
10-19-2010, 11:53 AM
have you played it? can you walk us through a typical session, or even combat round?

It was just released today so apart from a bit of character creation, I don't know too much. I imagine the combat is similar to D&D 4E but with sci-fi.

Nicholai
10-19-2010, 12:45 PM
It was just released today so apart from a bit of character creation, I don't know too much. I imagine the combat is similar to D&D 4E but with sci-fi.

Just released today? Looks like my local shop was selling it early as I saw someone buying it last week when I was in to pick up comics.

sraymonds
10-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Just released today? Looks like my local shop was selling it early as I saw someone buying it last week when I was in to pick up comics.

Yeah, I don't know how it works. The wide release was today.

kaisel
10-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Certain stores are "premier" stores for Wizards of the Coast, so they get stuff anywhere from five-ten days early. Basically these are the stores that run the D&D Game Days, Encounters, etc, so that's why these things show up early.

Nicholai
10-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Certain stores are "premier" stores for Wizards of the Coast, so they get stuff anywhere from five-ten days early. Basically these are the stores that run the D&D Game Days, Encounters, etc, so that's why these things show up early.

Ah, makes sense since my store had a big game day for the game too.

kaisel
10-28-2010, 08:56 AM
So I finally got a chance to play this last night. As a goofy, fun, pick up game it's a lot of fun. Battles and character creation is pretty quick, you can get some interesting origins (I ended up as a sentient plant that could control gravity, who I tried to play as the stereotypical spaghetti western hero, since I started off with a horse) and the alpha mutations, in play, didn't bother me as much as I thought they would. I kind of want to pick it up, even though I don't know how often it would be played, and I don't know how it holds up after a few games either, if the inherent silliness has each session with diminishing returns or what, but it was a lot of fun hamming it up.

poetfox
11-02-2010, 08:22 AM
I've also played a session. I blogged about it here (http://getmeoutofthis.net/?p=1742), but for those who care about the mechanics, I was probably vague, so maybe a little discussion?

I found that the cards did their assigned role pretty well. They put a level of chaos on the field during combat. My players were kind of desperate to use their Alpha Mutations up, even when they weren't completely useful, simply due to an early critical miss/alpha flux that caused someone to lose a power they thought was cool. My brother, for example, used a power that induced fear, even though it was kind of tactically bad to do so, and nearly got an ally killed. The chaos and "use it or lose it" mentality they induce made the combat more frantic than we've experienced playing 4th Edition before.

Other than that, though, the combat was just 4th Edition, but more deadly, as far as I was concerned. Lack of easy healing makes enemies much more dangerous, and as DM, I kind of felt like an asshole as I nearly downed a guy on the second round of combat. But then I remembered, this game is supposed to be deadly like that, and kept up the assault.

Still, the fun, for me, was the setting. My local friends are not serious, at all, and thus our DnD games tend to be really silly. At the same time, everyone wants those games to be serious. No matter who is DMing, they come up with serious plots, and we all seem to want them. It's kind of built into the whole concept, but we just can't seem to treat them seriously, and just end up doing things like demanding local nobles give us palanquins and servants to carry us. Gamma World encourages the bullshit we already do, even in things like combat descriptions, since things like weapons are completely arbitrary, only falling into vague categories like "light melee" and "heavy ranged." The roleplaying aspect really worked for us, but may not work for you if you don't have a group that enjoying being dicks to NPCs and generally doing silly shit for the hell of it.

pence
11-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I finally have a copy of this in hand, and have enough good ideas to plagiarize for a miniature 1-10 campaign. Now, the questions are 1) when can I get some more monsters, and 2) are people actually going to show up on Fridays?

And when I say miniature campaign, I mean miniature. The leveling curve as written is really snappy, since you get your first level at 500 XP, only about 4-5 encounters, and it continues at that pace. I'm making sure it would be plausible for the PCs to get replaced by new PCs, since I'm anticipating a lot of dying. Doesn't seem like it'd be a problem if you keep things lighthearted enough.

pence
11-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Session report, with a story gleefully plagiarized from many old modules and the included adventure:

The city-state of Cuisin-art is a small dot on the map of Gamma Terra, tended by the benevolent and delusional eye of a sentient wolverine named Napoleon. Things generally go pretty well here - the concrete homes of the villagers protect them from harm, the four Bofs (sentient buffaloes, it will become a theme before long) that comprise the local 'militia' often have little to do but polish Napoleon's brass buttons, and every day the villagers give thanks to the ancient relic which gives their steading its name and provides them meals on holy days.

The main cast, for now:
Camino, the giant robot and his El Camino, which he is forced to drive from the truckbed like a large go-kart. He likes his truck, and progressive rock.
Kabuto, the scrawny unpersonable nerd who uses his psychic powers to convince everyone he meets that he is in fact powerful and worthy of respect. For this reason he drills the Bofs in the militia, even though he was never appointed to a position of power. They call him 'sergeant'.
Bunniez, a hive mind of arctic rabbits that constantly pours forth from a mysterious top hat. Individual rabbits leap and crawl from its 'hands'. Unsettling.

As the session begins, Camino hears a strange whirring while tilling the fields. It gets louder and louder. The Bofs, who are supposed to be defending the walls, are off playing cards, so he figures he'll take a careful look. A friendly-seeming robot with two, tubelike arms and triangular treads has trundled its way to the gates of Cuisin-art, and comes to a stop as soon as they see one another.

There is a moment of uncertainty.

Camino waves. "Beep boop."

There's a huge explosion as the strange robot fires a missile at the stone wall and blows a hole straight through, before falling over, sparking and whirring. Camino is thrown clear, and Napoleon runs out cussing. "Oh no, we're under attack, mobilize! Mobilize!" The PCs do so, and carefully inspect the now-broken robot. Its serial number has been filed off, but it has left a deep track running all the way off into the horizon, in the dirt coating the very ancient and very straight asphalt highway. Napoleon quickly declares the PCs (and their truck) the first armored division of Cuisin-art, and sends them on a very important scouting mission to discover the intentions of The Enemy.

So empowered, the PCs drive off down the incredibly boring stretch of road toward the horizon, following the tracks for miles, past forests made of tree-sized flowers as clouds build in the sky. To pass the time, the party listens to Thick As A Brick on the truck's 8-track player for the 20th time.

It isn't until they pull up onto a crumbling overpass, where the road crosses another ancient highway, that things get exciting. A hefty, pig-faced woman has parked her 18-wheeler jackknifed across all four lanes of the highway. The side has been painted with the slogan "Ma's Bacon," and she leans, sneering, on a blunderbuss. "I'm outta fuel, and it looks like you've got plenty, friends."

Sensing her implicit threat, Kabuto attempts an interaction check. "No... YOU'VE got plenty."

The battle that ensues can only be described as brutal, as two porkers on dinged-up road hogs roar out of the back of the pickup truck, and Ma herself torches the cabin of the El Camino with her blunderbuss. Camino hates to see his truck treated this way, and he rams the fat porker into the guardrail. She struggles, pulls out a battleaxe, and splits Camino's metal head wide open, sending the now-pilotless truck tumbling off the overpass onto the wastes below. The porkers are finally overwhelmed by swarms and swarms of gnawing, gnashing rabbits. Camino's player is almost done rolling up character #2.

pence
11-13-2010, 01:31 AM
Part 2:

Camino is dead, but his truck has, miraculously, survived the fall. It has nearly crushed his new character:

Roll Fizzlebeef: A man who is on fire, presumably on purpose. He also sets other things on fire, or makes them float.

Roll Fizzlebeef is also pretty handy with machines, and makes a few adjustments to the El Camino to get it in working order. Mostly. Except for a bent axle or two. With the pickup truck damaged beyond repair and Ma's 18-wheeler empty on fuel, the party presses on down the highway in the motorcycles instead, still following the tracks.

FINALLY, the tracks turn off the highway and climb up. Up a winding, narrow dirt path to a cliff fifty feet above. To get up, the party must go on foot. Atop the cliff is a stone tower, guarded by two Badders, sentient badgers with loaded crossbows, who frown at the approaching strangers. "Don't you know it's dangerous out here? You might get eaten by a giant, flying weasel."

Kabuto changes the subject. "So what do you guys know about robots?"

"They protect us from the giant flying weasel, when they work correctly."

"And when they don't?" There is a low rumble of thunder.

"I don't like where this is going..." After a nervous glance, the badders throw open the wooden door of the tower and rush inside, revealing what is essentially a flying lion with lazer eyes that they have tamed like a guard dog. Gamma World is weird like that.

Fortunately, at this very moment, Bunniez develops a bizarre alpha mutation due to a flux in radiation. Every single bunny in its writhing, seething body secretes an odor so strong that it repels her enemies, even damaging them severely. The horrifying mass of bunnies stomps deliberately up the hill, through a rain of crossbow bolts and laser beams, before overcoming the guards through the power of its stench alone.

Gamma World is weird like that.

A careful search of the tower reveals a machine that appears to be manufacturing nasty little robots like the one that attacked Cuisin-art. The machine itself looks like a huge version of what you'd get if you pulled the cd-rom drive out of your computer and just had it sitting naked on the floor, all done up nice on one side, with wires and metal on the others. Roll Fizzlebeef makes a mechanics check to turn the thing off, giant flying weasels be damned. There is a logo emblazoned on the front of the machine that reads 'StupendiCo!' Kabuto is sure he's seen it before, but has no idea where.

The party also grabs some lead shielding off the back of the machine that might prove useful against radiation, and in the process accidentally irradiates most of their food and water supply. Well... at least they're only a few hours out from home. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

pence
11-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Part 3:

As the party heads home, the storm that has been brewing quietly breaks, as warm black snowflakes begin to fall on the wastes. It blocks out the waning sunlight, making the twilight hours pitch black, and Kabuto is worried about getting lost even on this incredibly straight stretch of road. They are able to carefully (very carefully) navigate back to the abandoned 18-wheeler and take refuge inside for a few hours until the storm blows over. Hungry from their fight in the Badders' stead, they eye up the corpses of the porkers they tossed into the truck.

Everyone eats some of Ma's Bacon, and it is as good as advertised.

After two delicious hours, Fizzlebeef cracks the door open and peers outside. It's a dark night, and the shroud of thick, black snow that coats the flat landscape in every direction only makes the darkness more profound. However, off in the distance a small campfire is lit in the sea of black.

Kabuto furrows his (massive) brow with concern. "A beacon of light like that's just asking to attract gamma moths, we should warn those poor fools." The party rides down on their motorcycles to get a better look.

Three reptilian Sleeths are sitting around the fire, seemingly unaware of the potential danger. Kabuto addresses them in his most epic voice. "YOU THERE, DON'T YOU KNOW THAT IT'S DANGEROUS TO LIGHT AN OPEN FLAME AT NIGHT ON THE WASTES?" (you must imagine large amounts of reverb, for the proper effect)

One of the Sleeths gestures at a strange post that they have stuck in the ground, acting surprisingly kind and personable for a Sleeth. "No no, we are in good ssspirits! We have recovered thisss artifact of the ancientsss that has warded them away forever!"

Kabuto isn't sure this guy is for real. He's pointing at a folded-up lawn umbrella.

"That's an umbrella. It will not keep the Moths away. For real."

"But we found it lassst night and behold, we were spared from the mothsss for the first night in weeksss! It is truly powerful!"

"It is truly a coincidence. Look..." Kabuto steps forward and unfolds the umbrella, causing it to spring open. "See? Umbrella."

"NO! The ssstupid one has broken our relic!" The sound of fluttering wings begins to grow closer. "We're doomed, why! You have brought the mothsss!"

Kabuto, in a moment of superstitious panic, tries to fold the umbrella back up as if doing so will restore moth-warding powers to it. The glowing green antennae of the gamma moths draws nearer against the pitch-black backdrop of the snowy wastes. Roll Fizzlebeef puts the lead sheet between the moths and his body, cringing. The three sleeths team up as moths flitter all around, up and down, attracted to their fire and Roll's flaming body. Even as the moths die to the combined assault of the PCs and the Sleeths, radiation pours out of their bodies. The party grabs the last living Sleeth and jumps into the back of Ma's truck again. They leave the lights off all night and partway into the next day, just to be sure.

Finally, the whole motley crew pulls up to Cuisin-art, and the Bof guard is perplexed by the two new faces. With some mind-breaking persuasion from Kabuto, they ride their bike in and report to Napoleon that they have found and neutralized the source of attack. Furthermore, the Badders seem to have obtained their device from someplace called StupendiCo.

As far as Napoleon is concerned, this is grounds for a pre-emptive strike. Yes, a decisive blow must be dealt against the Nation of StupendiCo. He smiles, impressed with his own military genius, and tasks the PCs with organizing and leading this crucial attack. But there's still one question...

Where the hell is this giant, flying weasel anyway?

To be continued.

Gabelvampir
11-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Oh boy, can't wait to play it. Got it as a present from my brother this week for my birthday. After I read about the trading card part on the box I was a bit taken aback and thought that I should have wished for something else. But it sounds kinda awesome, only gripe I have for now (except that trading card part) is that the manual is kinda sparse on the setting. But that seems to be the standard for campaign settings in D&D 4E, which is really dumb in my oppinion.

Comb Stranger
11-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Tracking down .pdfs of the old gamma world books and modules is a good idea. As is watching a lot of old sci-fi B-movies.

pence
02-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Necrobump because we played it tonight and it was still sweet. Running it on top of 4e leads to some hilarious situations, like having alpha mutations during a skill challenge. Manifesting the ability to dominate computers and machines immediately before hacking into a genius mutant's ancient desktop PC, for example.

It's a long shot, but has anyone picked up the Famine in Far-go expansion? Some more monsters and origins would be nice, even though we've only played to level 3 in two sessions.

Lucas
03-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Local game store is selling their demo copy of the base set for $18. Assuming it's complete, is it worth it?

Edit: Having given some thought to what would make Gamma World "worth it", here's what I've got so far. Is it easy to teach to others? Is it easy to pick up and play for a single session or so? I'd almost definitely not be trying to run a coherent campaign with the game, but just running a quick scenario for friends when they're in town. Is it fun to play with just two people? Is it easy to get a game going quickly?

kaisel
03-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Local game store is selling their demo copy of the base set for $18. Assuming it's complete, is it worth it?

Edit: Having given some thought to what would make Gamma World "worth it", here's what I've got so far. Is it easy to teach to others? Is it easy to pick up and play for a single session or so? I'd almost definitely not be trying to run a coherent campaign with the game, but just running a quick scenario for friends when they're in town. Is it fun to play with just two people? Is it easy to get a game going quickly?

Do you mean a DM and two people, or just a DM and one player? If it's the former (two players), then I think Gamma World would be a pretty good investment for a pick up game.

Gamma World is pretty easy to teach, if you have a good grasp of 4e rules. Mainly because there are a couple of rules/actions that aren't defined in Gamma World (I think charges are one), but are referenced. I find that it would probably make a great introduction to RPGs, especially 4e. And I enjoyed it all the times I played it, and running it was pretty easy.

Lucas
03-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Actually, there's a pretty good chance I'd be playing it with only one other guy, as most of my RPG buddies are spread over the state. Is it easy to run a single player in Gamma World or would high mortality and too many uncovered weaknesses be a problem?

pence
03-28-2011, 07:52 AM
A solo player in a Gamma World game, assuming he's playing to keep his character alive, would require some hacks. It's running on the 4E Dungeons & Dragons system, and the assumption is that the player is going to get into a situation where he uses his powers to dispatch enemies. The enemies will likely have abilities that apply status effects, which can really swing an uneven fight (see: solo monsters in 4E). You could try handing out extra alpha mutations, allowing multiple second winds in combat, or starting the character higher than level 1.

Without any playtesting, 'extra alpha mutations and omega tech' would be my first step. The unpredictable nature of the player's powers would hopefully keep things interesting while increasing the character's chances of living through the game.

Lucas
03-30-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm not all that far into the rulebook so far, but I've got a couple questions. Does a short rest really do everything an extended rest does but let you level up? After I saw the beefed-up Second Wind I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd just made short rests better, but restoring all HP in five minutes seems like a bit much. Also, does which of your origins is primary and which secondary determine anything besides which stat is a guaranteed 18 and which is 16?

And less of a rule question and more of character creation musing... is it just me or is Doppelganger a really powerful origin? Even as a GM I might have to argue that anything done by a Double Trouble duplicate doesn't affect the original Doppelganger. Let's say Don the Seismic Doppelganger uses Double Trouble and the duplicate uses Clobberin' Time. After it disappears, Don still has hasn't used Clobberin' Time and the next duplicate would have another use of it. Same with the duplicate firing off anything that needs ammo. And Don could use Two Places at Once before using Seismic Stomp to hit different areas with the burst. This is probably mentioned later in the rulebook or something, though. Or not; Gamma World seems to focus much more on fun and action than stiff-necked rules and perfect balance.

shivam
03-30-2011, 06:16 PM
my wife's character is a plague bearing doppleganger, and yeah, it's ridiculously powerful. she can stay the hell away and throw her clone all over the place.

kaisel
03-30-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm not all that far into the rulebook so far, but I've got a couple questions. Does a short rest really do everything an extended rest does but let you level up? After I saw the beefed-up Second Wind I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd just made short rests better, but restoring all HP in five minutes seems like a bit much. Also, does which of your origins is primary and which secondary determine anything besides which stat is a guaranteed 18 and which is 16?

I don't think primary/secondary origins determine much, aside from which stat is 18, but I could be wrong there. Second-wind is much more powerful because healing is much more rare in Gamma World, and monsters do a lot more damage.

Comb Stranger
03-30-2011, 07:10 PM

Yup, you get a full heal after every encounter, and you need it. Combats are supposed to be fast and lethal like an action movie, rather than a realistic slog. The only consequences of a battle are victory, death, and/or a dramatic shortage of ammo.

As for your primary/secondary origin, it also determines your alpha overcharge. You get the bonus from your primary origin, not your secondary. Oddly, it doesn't make sense for altered humans, since they get a special overcharge despite never being a primary origin.

Lucas
04-02-2011, 03:43 PM
So, tried this out today with my one local player. Looked over the prefab adventure in the back of the rulebook last night and thought it'd be doable if I cut out most of the monsters (keeping at least two in each encounter to keep it interesting). Had my player make a PC at level 2 rolling 4d6 for his stats; if that sounds excessive, you've never seen my players roll for stats. He got 8, 11, 13, and 16, as I recall. He rolled up Giant Radioactive for character type and Conspiracy for his extra skill, drawing a middling Alpha mutation and Omega Tech.

I figured I'd start him off easy with only one badder and one porker in the first encounter (half of what the rulebook scenario had for a regular party), and he started the battle in fine form by taking off over half the porker's health in one shot of his laser eyes. Just as I started to think that maybe my warnings of death in the first battle were too dire, the badder crits with its crossbow. No problem, PC isn't even bloodied yet....

I explain about minor, move, and standard actions, telling my player the porker will be making one attack with a minor then a standard attack with his standard action. I'm not worried about the belch because the PC's Fort is sky high, but the road hog rolls a natural 20.

Just guess what happened with the porker's flail.

I offered to retcon it so we could keep playing, but my friend was laughing too damn hard at his character dying to three crits in the first round of the game to want to accept.

pence
04-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Sometimes... sometimes fate just doesn't want a particular character to live. In my experience, stories like that tend to stick around for years ("Remember the time I died to a critical belch?")

reibeatall
07-18-2011, 09:42 PM
I haven't played a P&P RPG really that much but I'd love to do this.

widdershins
07-19-2011, 12:04 PM
I am totally down with this.

shivam
07-19-2011, 04:56 PM
yeah, i reconfirm!

Luana
08-07-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm in! Be gentle, though... I've never done anything like this before.

reibeatall
08-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Ohh man guys this is going to be so much fun.

widdershins
08-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Luana and I already have our characters. They're ridiculous.