PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Diplomacy! (1st Game)

Umby
12-28-2010, 10:16 AM
1.Epithet - France
2.Shivam - Russia
3.Dizzy - Italy
4.Poetfox - Austria-Hungary
5.Meditative_Zebra - Germany
6.Destil - Britain
7.Ereror - Turkey

Orders are due three days from now, on New Year's Eve (12/31/10). A sample set of orders for Britain are:

F Edinburgh to Yorkshire
F London to Yorkshire
A Liverpool to Yorkshire

This would be the famous "Yorkshire Pudding" set up. Don't do that. You can write your orders with an arrow ( -> ) meaning a move, or use the word "to" to denote a move. S means support, C means convoy. Send your orders to me via PM at any time before the deadline, especially if you don't know if your orders are in the correct form. You can revise your orders at any time. Please ask me questions in either this thread, the official Diplomacy thread, or PM me with a question if the info is sensitive. You can use this thread to trash talk, if you feel like it!

At the end of each turn, the moves will be posted, the map with the moves on them, and the resolved map will be posted. Here is your initial map!

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Spring1901Game1.jpg

Again, orders are due on New Year's Day at 10:00 PM! GAME START!

shivam
12-28-2010, 10:38 AM
is there any way to get more armies, or is what we start with all of it?

edit- never mind, i see how the winter phase works.
how do we claim territory? do i have to have one unit on each tile i claim?

Red Hedgehog
12-28-2010, 10:52 AM
You can use this thread to trash talk, if you feel like it!

I presume this thread could also be used for messages to all players. Which can be useful for more than just trash talking (making players aware of what a stinking bastard another player is or dropping a subtle hint you will make one move when you really plan to make another).

is there any way to get more armies, or is what we start with all of it?

edit- never mind, i see how the winter phase works.
how do we claim territory? do i have to have one unit on each tile i claim?

As you've noticed, during the winter phase, each power checks to see if any of the supply centers it controls have changed. For control of a supply center to change, a different power must have a unit in that supply center during the Winter phase (so if a unit moves into a supply center in Spring and out of it in Fall, it doesn't change in the Winter). Once you have control of a supply center, you keep it until another power has their unit in that supply center during the Winter.

In the Winter, after you have determined what supply centers you control, if you have more supply centers than you have units, you may build new units to match the number of supply centers you own. Note that you may only build new units in your home supply centers (that is, the ones you started the game with) and only if those supply centers are empty. So if you control 6 supply centers and have 5 units, but you already have a unit in each of your home supply centers, you cannot build. Similarly, if all your home supply centers are taken over but you still have units left on the board, you cannot build any new units, even if you take other supply centers, until you have one of your home supply centers to build in.

If you control fewer supply centers than you have units on the board, you must disband a unit.

Umby
12-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah, Red Hedgehog is going to be better at explaining this than I will probably ever be. In the same train of thought, Red, are you going to analyze like you said you wanted to? EDIT: Alternatively, you could provide flavor text, or we can both work on it anyhow.

Also, could someone help a poor man get the picture he uploaded on Photobucket to a Talking Time Post? I can't seem to figure it out.

Red Hedgehog
12-28-2010, 01:56 PM
I'll be in London from tomorrow until the 7th, so I probably won't get to help out the first turn or two.

Destil
12-28-2010, 04:53 PM
This would be the famous "Yorkshire Pudding" set up. Don't do that. Damnit, there goes my opening move.

shivam
12-30-2010, 12:41 AM
so i'm not getting one thing-- if A tries to invade country B with the help of C, who gets the country, A or C?

poetfox
12-30-2010, 03:17 PM
That's the difference between the "attack" command and the "support" command. Support is helping someone else, or another one of your armies. Attack is trying to take it for yourself.

shivam
12-30-2010, 06:23 PM
what happens if two people try to take the same territory? we both bounce back, right?

poetfox
12-30-2010, 06:37 PM
If we both try to take the same territory with the same strength, nothing happens. If I try to take the territory with a power of 2, because I have one support, and you try to take it with a power of 1, because you have no support, I take it and you are out of luck.

Umby
12-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Still lacking two sets of orders. Get yours in if you haven't already!

Umby
12-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Germany and Italy are missing orders! If anyone knows where the real Germany and Italy are, please stand up.

Umby
12-31-2010, 07:36 PM
First turn is extended one day, so I can get Germany and Italy's orders in. If Germany does not show up and send me orders (Italy has contacted me, at least), I'm replacing him with one of the people waiting for game 2 to start.

For everyone, the next turn will start when I get up the new map at 10:00 PM (or whenever I am able to get it up after that).

Umby
01-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Resolution for Spring 1901:

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Spring1901MovesGame1.jpg

The main surprise of the first turn!

Italy:
F Naples holds
A Rome holds
A Venice holds

A commanded all hold!

Germany:
A Munich to Ruhr
A Berlin to Kiel
F Kiel to Holland

France:
F Brest to Mid Atlantic
A Paris to Burgundy
A Marseilles holds

Russia:
F Sev to Rum
F STP to BOT
A Mos to Ukr
A War to Lvn

Austria:
A Budapest to Serbia
A Vienna to Trieste
F Trieste to Adriatic Sea

Britain:
F London -> English Channel
F Edinburgh -> North Sea
A Liverpool -> Edinburgh

Turkey:
A Constantinople to Bulgaria
F Ankara to Constantinople
A Smyrna to Ankara

Map now looks like this:

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Autumn1901Game1.jpg

Orders are due three days from now, on January the 4th at 10 PM. No extensions this time!

shivam
01-01-2011, 11:57 PM
what do i have to do to claim a territory?

Karzac
01-02-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm pretty sure you just capture supply centres, not territories.

Umby
01-02-2011, 08:18 AM
what do i have to do to claim a territory?

To claim a neutral or enemy supply center, which increases your capacity to build a unit during the winter phase by one, you have to have a unit in it at the end of a fall turn (such as this one).

shivam
01-02-2011, 12:54 PM
ok, so right now is a second movement phase?

Umby
01-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Yes, followed by a build phase.

Umby
01-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Orders due in three hours! Get yours in. Two sets missing!

Umby
01-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Orders for Fall 1901:
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Autumn1901MovesGame1.jpg

Austria
A Trieste attacks Venezia
F Adriatic Sea supports attacking Venezia
A Serbia holds in a badass defensive formation.

Britain
F English Channel -> Belgium
F North Sea - Convoy: Edinburgh -> Norway
A Edinburgh (C) -> Norway

Turkey
A Ankara to Armenia
A Bulgaria to Greece
F Constantinople to Bulgaria (East Coast)

Italy
F Naples to Tyrhennian Sea
A Rome to hold
A Venice to Trieste

Russia
F Bot C A Lvn to Swe
A Lvn to Swe

Germany
A Kiel to Denmark
A Ruhr to Belgium
F Holland supports A Ruhr to Belgium

France
A Burgundy supports F English Channel to Belgium.
F Mid Atlantic to Portugal
A Marseilles to Spain

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Autumn1901RetreatsGame1.jpg

Italy, you have to choose where poor ole Venice retreats to. It can retreat to Tyrolia, Piedmonte, or Tuscany. Seeing as you're the only one with a retreat order, just say it in this thread. You have until tomorrow at 10 PM to tell me, or it disbands.

Meditative_Zebra
01-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Ok, so we're in the build phase now, right? How does this work? Do we need to submit what we want built?

Umby
01-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Not quite, although technically we are. I'm waiting for Italy's retreat order, then I'll give two days for builds. You have to submit what you want built in a PM. You can only build fleets in your home supply centers that touch water, and in your case, you can build two units (3 units, 5 SCs). I'll get the list up once Italy retreats.

shivam
01-05-2011, 11:05 AM
does it cost any money to build new units? the only limit is how many supplies we have vs how many units we have, right?

Dizzy
01-05-2011, 11:08 AM
I refuse to retreat! Never give up, never surrender!

Umby
01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
I'll take that as a disband order...? If so, then the builds look like this.

Italy: 0 Builds (2 SCs, 2 units)
France: 2 Builds (5 SCs, 3 units)
Germany: 2 Builds (5 SCs, 3 units)
Russia: 2 Builds (6 SCs, 4 units)
Austria: 2 Builds (5 SCs, 3 units)
Britain: 1 Builds (4 SCs, 3 units)
Turkey 2 Builds (5 SCs, 3 units)

Map looks just like before, sans the Italian unit in Venice (I'll upload the map when I get home). Orders due two days from now, on the 7th of January at 10 PM.

does it cost any money to build new units? the only limit is how many supplies we have vs how many units we have, right?

It is just limited by supply centers, nothing else.

Umby
01-07-2011, 09:26 PM
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Winter1901BuildsGame1.jpg

Germany:
Builds Fleet Kiel
Builds Army Munich

France:
Build Army in Paris
Build Fleet in Marseilles

Austria:
Builds Army Trieste
Builds Army Vienna

England:
Builds Fleet Edinburgh

Turkey:
Builds Fleet Ankara
Builds Army Constantinople

Russia:
Builds Army Warsaw
Builds Army Sevastopol

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Spring1902Game1.jpg

Spring 1902 orders due three days from now at 10 PM. You know the drill!

Umby
01-10-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm missing German orders and valid Italian orders. One day extension. Sorry, guys.

Umby
01-11-2011, 06:01 PM
I admit, I have made a mistake. I believe I have deleted PoetFox's orders, because I know she sent them in. I'm going to wait until she resends them. This one's entirely on me. Sorry, guys.

Umby
01-12-2011, 01:18 PM
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Spring1902MovesGame1.jpg

Austria:
F Adriatic Convoys A Trieste to Apulia.
A Vienna to Budapest
A Venezia to Tuscany.
A Serbia holds position.

Germany:
F Kiel to Holland
F Holland to North Sea
A Denmark Support F Holland to North Sea
A Ruhr to Kiel
A Munich Hold

NOTE: A support order only works if the unit supporting could move to the territory it is supporting another unit into itself. So an army CANNOT AT ANY TIME support a unit into a sea territory. The order fails, and Denmark holds its position.

Italy:
A Rome to Tuscany
F Naples to Naples

NOTE: Despite the botched order, it is understood that the only fleet Italy could move is the one in the Tyrhennian Sea, thus the order goes through as intended.

Britain:
F English Channel (Support) Burgundy -> Belgium
F North Sea -> Skagerrak
F Edinburgh -> North Sea
A Norway: Hold

France:
A Burgundy to Belgium
A Paris to Burgundy
F Portugal to Mid Atlantic
A Spain to Marseilles
F Marseilles to Gulf of Lyon

Russia:
F Bot to Bal
A Ukr to Gal
A War to Sil
A Sev to Ukr
F Rum to Bla

Turkey:
F Bulgaria to Black Sea
F Ankara support F Bulgaria to Black Sea
A Greece support A Constantinople to Bulgaria
A Armenia holds

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Fall1902Game1.jpg

It is now Fall 1902. Orders due January 15th at 10 PM.

shivam
01-12-2011, 01:22 PM
can you explain how support works again?

Umby
01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
can you explain how support works again?

Support is how an attack can gain a power more than one. To capture a territory, an attack must have more than what it is being attacked by or being held by. A support may only be done by a unit that can also move into the territory being attacked. A support order looks like this:

A/F Territory Nearby S A/F to Territory Being Attacked

shivam
01-12-2011, 02:32 PM
see, cause your map shows a bunch of random support orders that don't seem to fit that. can a fleet move inland, or just coastal and water?

Umby
01-12-2011, 05:27 PM
What support orders are you talking about that don't make sense?

And fleets cannot move inland, of course.

Meditative_Zebra
01-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I guess it makes sense that my tanks can't act as reinforcements in the North Sea. [/facepalm]

Really, it's pretty obvious when you think about it. I guess I need to figure out how this game works. Let's see...aha! Here's the rule book (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CB4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wizards.com%2Favalonhill%2Fru les%2Fdiplomacy_rulebook.pdf&rct=j&q=diplomacy%20rules%20filetype%3Apdf&ei=VJAuTb6AGo36swO8vcmJBQ&usg=AFQjCNElwO44N10iVjGNZL-60W1bLnqVEQ&cad=rja) [pdf] from the Wizards of the Coast website. That should be useful.

Red Hedgehog
01-13-2011, 10:49 AM
see, cause your map shows a bunch of random support orders that don't seem to fit that. can a fleet move inland, or just coastal and water?

There are four support orders on the most recent map:

F English Channel S Burgundy -> Belgium
F Ankara S Bulgaria -> Black Sea
A Greece S Constantinople -> Bulgaria
A Denmark S Holland -> North Sea

It is legal for the English Channel fleet to move to Belgium, thus that support order is valid.

It is legal for the Ankara fleet to move to the Black Sea thus that support order is valid.

It is legal for the Greece army to move to Bulgaria thus that support order is valid.

It is not legal for the Denmark army to move to the North Sea thus that support order is not valid.

shivam
01-13-2011, 11:32 AM
i'm just having trouble wrapping my head around what is a good move in this game, i guess.

Red Hedgehog
01-13-2011, 03:31 PM
i'm just having trouble wrapping my head around what is a good move in this game, i guess.

It's really very similar to many wargames in move strategy. Protect your supply centers, capture other ones, maneuver your units to be in a position to do both.

Umby
01-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Again, waiting on Germany. I know he's usually prompt about being only a little late (oxymoron?), so I'm fine with waiting a little for the price of keeping the game balanced.

EDIT: Russia, too! Shivam and Meditative Zebra, you better get those orders in by tomorrow.

Umby
01-17-2011, 06:38 AM
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Autumn1902MovesGame1.jpg

Russia:
F Bal C A Swe to Ber
A Sil support A Swe to Ber
A gal to Vie
A Ukr to Gal

Germany:
F Kiel to Berlin
A Munich Support F Kiel to Berlin
F Holland Support A Ruhr
A Ruhr support F Holland
A Denmark Hold

NOTE: F Holland cannot support A Ruhr, thus the order fails.

Italy:
A Rome hold
F Naples to Tyrhennian Sea

France:
A Belgium supports A Burgundy
A Burgundy supports A Belgium
A Marseilles supports A Burgundy
F Mid Atlantic to Brest
F Gulf of Lyon to Tyrrhenian Sea

Britain:
F Edinburgh -> North Sea
F English Channel -> Support Fleet (Edinburgh -> North Sea)
A Norway -> Sweden
F Skagerrak -> Support Army (Norway->Sweden)

Austria:
A Venezia attacks Roma
A Apulia supports A Venezia as it attacks Roma
F Adriatic moves to Ionian Sea.

Turkey:
F Black Sea to Sevastopol
A Armenia support F Black Sea to Sevastopol
F Ankara to Black Sea
A Bulgaria to Romania
A Greece to Bulgaria

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Autumn1902RetreatsGame1.jpg

It is now Fall 1902 Retreats. There is a retreat order needed for both the army in Sweden by Russia and the army in Rome by Italy. Orders will be due by the end of today (although I'll wait a day if I have to). Rome can only retreat to Tuscany or disband, and Sweden can only retreat to Finland or disband.

shivam
01-17-2011, 10:52 AM
son of a whore.
retreat to finland.

Dizzy
01-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Aw damn. Uh, Rome retreat to Tuscany then.

Meditative_Zebra
01-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Can a fleet in Kiel support an army in Ruhr? (I'm guessing no.)

Umby
01-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Retreats are in, I'll put up the map and number of build later, when my sisters are not Sims 3-ing on the computer with the map.

And no, a fleet in Kiel cannot support hold the Ruhr, because a fleet cannot move to the Ruhr anyhow.

Umby
01-17-2011, 03:54 PM
NOTE: I made a mistake on my friend's computer recreating the map; the fleet in Holland was accidentally changed to an army. It is now rectified in the post. Additionally, the order given to Holland to support hold the Ruhr didn't work (not like it mattered).

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Winter1902Game1.jpg

It is now the Winter of 1902. Please submit your build orders. The totals are as following:

Russia: 5 SCs/6 Units = 1 disband
Turkey: 6 SCs/5 Units = 1 build
Austria: 5 SCs/5 Units = 0 builds
Germany: 5 SCs/5 Units = 0 builds
Britain: 5 SCs/4 Units = 1 build
Italy: 1 SC/2 Units = 1 disband
France: 6 SCs/5 Units = 1 build

Orders will be due two days from now, January 19th, at 10 PM. Get writing!

shivam
01-17-2011, 05:27 PM
a fucking disband? god damn it.

Umby
01-20-2011, 01:14 PM
In this case, I'm not going to wait for Italy, because his next disband order is obvious and everyone else is in (sorry Dizzy).

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Winter1902BuildsGame1.jpg

Russia:
Disband Finland

France:
Build army Paris

Turkey:
Build army Constantinople

Britain:
Build fleet Edinburgh

Italy:
Disband army Tuscany

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Spring1903Game1.jpg

It is now Spring 1903! Orders will be due January 23rd, at 10 PM! Get them in on time, pleaaaaaaaase.

Umby
01-23-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm missing shivam's orders, so I'll wait for tomorrow.

shivam
01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
sending my orders right now. been a crazy weekend.

Umby
01-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Understandable, it was crazy for me, as well. Resolution goes up when I'm home.

Umby
01-25-2011, 01:23 PM
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Spring1903MovesGame1.jpg

Russia:
a gal to bud
a vienna s a gal to bud
a sil to bohemia

Germany:
F Kiel to Helgoland Bight
A Ruhr to Belgium
F Holland S A Ruhr to Belgium
A Denmark Hold
A Munich to Burgandy

Britain:
F English Channel - Support Belgium (hold)
F North Sea -> Denmark
F Skagerrak - Support F North Sea (-> Denmark)
A Sweden - Support F North Sea (-> Denmark)
F Edinburgh -> North Sea

Turkey:
F Sevastopol to Romania
F Black Sea support Sevastopol to Romania
A Bulgaria Support Sevastopol to Romania
A Armenia to Sevastopol
A Constantinople Hold
A Greece Hold

Austria:
F Ionian supports A Apulia attacking Napoli.
A Serbia moves to Trieste.
All the rest hold position.

France:
A Burgundy to Ruhr
A Belgium supports A Burgundy to Ruhr
A Paris to Burgundy
F Brest holds
A Marseilles supports A Paris to Burgundy
F Gulf of Lyon to West Mediterranean

Italy:
Civil Disorder (no moves for the rest for the game)

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Spring1903RetreatsGame1.jpg

Retreat orders are needed from the army in Budapest, the army in Ruhr, and the army in Denmark.

Both the army in Denmark and the Ruhr can only retreat to Kiel, and in the case of retreats, if both armies move there, they both are deleted. I can assume that you retreated only one army there, Zebra, but just send in orders for the heck of it.

Poetfox, Budapest can only retreat to Serbia.

Italy's fleet autodisbands, since he's in civil disorder.

I hope I can get all the orders in today, but I'll wait until moving on until tomorrow at 10 PM.

Meditative_Zebra
01-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Man, those Danes are pussies. Send the good strong German boys from Ruhr home to Kiel and let the Danes take a hike in the Baltic Sea.

Meditative_Zebra
01-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Also, how do interrupts work? I thought that my Army in Munich attacking Burgundy prevented them from advancing. I guess I need to find the rulebook again and make sure I actually know what the hell is going on.

Umby
01-25-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm looking into that right now, that looks wrong. Let me see if I put in the orders correctly.

EDIT: It appears I did, and my friend confirms that it is correct. It appears that when English Channel support held Belgium, it stopped your attack on Belgium, so Belgium wasn't dislodged. Now, we have the army in Ruhr attacking a unit that supporting another unit into that. In the rules, it states that a unit cannot cut support into into its own territory.

Does that make sense?

Meditative_Zebra
01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I think so. I just had to look at the map a few more times to parse all the moves.

shivam
01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
god i wish this map had countries labeled.

Umby
01-25-2011, 08:52 PM
I could do that, but it'd make the map look cluttered. I'll try it out next time, and see what you guys think.

Kayin
01-26-2011, 12:04 AM
HOW ABOUT YOUR LEARN YOUR EUROPEAN COUNTRIES, SHIVAM.

God, one of the fun things about newb diplomacy games is people are either really nice to each other or really brutal. This game seems quite brutal.

Meditative_Zebra
01-26-2011, 12:34 AM
god i wish this map had countries labeled.

I've been consulting with this here map (http://brennor.dyndns.org/~steve/Images/BigDiplomacy.gif) when I send in my moves.

http://brennor.dyndns.org/~steve/Images/BigDiplomacy.gif

Destil
01-26-2011, 12:38 AM
I could do that, but it'd make the map look cluttered. I'll try it out next time, and see what you guys think.

What about the 3 character abbreviation as opposed to the full names?

Umby
01-26-2011, 02:30 PM
That's what I was referring to. It's still a bit clunky, but doable.

Meditative_Zebra
01-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Did I miss a due date? Are orders due tonight?

Ereror
01-28-2011, 08:21 PM
I was under the impression that we were still waiting for retreats.

Umby
01-28-2011, 08:24 PM
EDIT: Sorry, let me post a new map first. I was a bit confused, and playing a live Diplomacy game now.

I forgot about updating the map because Poetfox never posted her retreats. I'll assume that she retreated to Serbia, because that was her only option.

Umby
01-28-2011, 08:33 PM
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Spring1903RetreatMovesGame1.jpg

Budapest retreated to Serbia, Denmark was disbanded, Naples was disbanded, and the Ruhr retreated back to Kiel.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Fall1903Game1.jpg

It is now Fall 1903. Orders will be due January 31st, at 10 PM.

Again, very sorry for the delay, folks.

Meditative_Zebra
01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the update, Umby. And you have only had this one delay, whereas I've had about fifteen. (Sorry, guys.)

In other news the Kaiser would like to announce that there will be a beer tasting party at his palace in Berlin and everyone is invited. Except for the British. And also except for the French. Those guys are twerps. http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/images/icons/icon8.gif

Umby
01-28-2011, 08:52 PM
My current live Diplomacy game! (http://www.webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=48440&msgCountryID=7&rand=69964#chatboxanchor)

I'm England. See me rise and eventually and inevitably fall, if you're interested. And maybe pick up on a few tactics!

Umby
01-31-2011, 08:49 PM
We're missing France's and Russia's orders, so again, TIME EXTENDED FOR A DAY.

Am I being a bad GM, giving so many extra days to you guys? I would hope that I'm helping the integrity of the game, but I'm not punishing the guys who turn in late, so.... I dunno. Hopefully next game will be more prompt.

shivam
01-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Sorry dude. maybe send reminder day of?

Umby
01-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Gotcha, I'm taking notes.

I'm heading to sleep. I don't believe Epithet will have his orders in before tomorrow, anyhow, but I'll remind him.

Epithet
02-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Sorry about the lateness. I got them in as soon as possible, though.

Umby
02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Fall 1903 Moves
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Fall1903MovesGame1.jpg
With abbreviations this time!

Turkey:
A Sevastopol to Moscow
A Bulgaria to Serbia
A Greece support Bulgaria to Serbia
F Black Sea - Convoy: Constantinople to Sevastopol
A Constantinople (C) to Sevastopol
F Romania Hold

Austria:
F Ionian moves to Napoli
A Roma moves to Venezia
A Trieste attacks Budapest
A Serbia supports A Trieste attacking Budapest.
A Napoli moves to Roma

Britain:
F English Channel support (F) North Sea (hold)
A Sweden support (F) Denmark (hold)
F Skagerrak support (F) Denmark (hold)
F Denmark Hold
F North Sea Hold

Russia:
F baltic S A Kiel to Denmark
A bud to trieste
A vienna S A bud to trieste
A Boh to Gal

France:
A Ruhr to Munich
A Burgundy supports A Ruhr to Munich
A Belgium to Holland
A Marseilles to Spain
F West Mediterranean to Tunisia
F Brest to Mid Atlantic

Germany:
F Helgoland support F Holland
F Holland support A Kiel
A Kiel support A Munich
A Munich support A Kiel

Fall 1903 Retreats
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Fall1903RetreatsGame1.jpg

Only retreat orders is for you, poetfox, from Serbia and from Trieste. Only place you can go from Serbia is Albania, and for Trieste, Albania and Vienna. If you don't respond otherwise by 10 PM tonight, I'll auto-retreat you to Albania for time's sake.

(Winter 1903 Map will go here.)

The rest of you can start planning your builds in the meantime!

France: 6 Units/7 SCs = +1 Build
Germany: 4 Units/4 SCs = 0 Builds
Britain: 5 Units/6 SCs = +1 Build
Austria: 5 Units/4 SCs = 1 Disband
Russia: 4 Units/4 SCs = 0 Builds
Turkey: 6 Units/9 SCs = 3 Builds!
Italy: 0 Units/0 SCs = First defeat of the game!

These orders will be due three days from now, on February 4th, at 10 PM. Get those in to me!

shivam
02-01-2011, 02:21 PM
turkey, you lying whoreson. we had an agreement.

Umby
02-01-2011, 02:30 PM
And that's the beauty of Diplomacy!

*laughtrack*

Umby
02-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Actually, Russia, I believe you should have Trieste. I made a misorder on the map somehow. I'll change the maps in a second.

Umby
02-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Oy vey, new maps up now.

Ereror
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
As a man who wants to maximize his possibilities of winning, doesn't Russia have no builds?

Russia is the new Austria. Austria gets to be Italy

Meditative_Zebra
02-01-2011, 06:30 PM
As a man who wants to maximize his possibilities of winning, doesn't Russia have no builds?

As if you weren't already at enough of an advantage already.

Yes, he's right. Russian shouldn't have any builds.

Umby
02-02-2011, 05:35 PM

Russia is the new Austria. Austria gets to be Italy

Why didn't I see that? Oh goodness. Yeah, he didn't get Budapest as the result of taking Trieste. Good call.

shivam
02-02-2011, 05:46 PM
wait, what the fuck do you mean?
i was in budapest, and it was under my control. I left to attack trieste. Budapest wasn't taken. Why the fuck wouldnt it be mine???

Umby
02-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Because your unit wasn't in it at the end of a fall turn. I thought we went over this. :P

shivam
02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
man, fuck this game.

Umby
02-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Admittedly, it's your own fault for not reading the rules or reading the comprehensive examples I posted in the other thread.

But you guys are all newbies here, we have better games ahead of us all.

Umby
02-03-2011, 04:09 PM
A bit of a bump, but some people want to see this before they start building anyhow.

Fall 1903 Retreat Moves
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Autumn1903RetratMovesGame1.jpg

Austria retreats from Trieste to Tyrolia, and from Serbia to Budapest.

Winter 1903
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Winter1903Game1.jpg

To recap:
France: 6 Units/7 SCs = +1 Build
Germany: 4 Units/4 SCs = 0 Builds
Britain: 5 Units/6 SCs = +1 Build
Austria: 5 Units/4 SCs = 1 Disband
Russia: 4 Units/4 SCs = 0 Builds
Turkey: 6 Units/9 SCs = 3 Builds!
Italy: 0 Units/0 SCs = First defeat of the game!

These orders will be due one day from now, on February 4th, at 10 PM. Get those in to me soon.

shivam
02-03-2011, 04:20 PM
hey man, give my spot to someone else. i don't want to bring the game down.

Umby
02-03-2011, 04:27 PM
You're not bringing the game down at all! However, if you want to, I'll give it to someone else.

Meditative_Zebra
02-04-2011, 06:01 PM
So what's going on with Russia? Has someone taken over for shivam? Or will all those units be inactive this turn?

shivam
02-04-2011, 06:40 PM
i have no builds right now anyway.

Meditative_Zebra
02-04-2011, 07:32 PM
i have no builds right now anyway.

Hopefully that means you'll be sticking around, then?

Umby
02-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Nobody has replied, yet, about taking Russia.

Umby
02-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Winter 1903 Builds
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Winter1903BuildGame1.jpg

Turkey:
Build F Smyrna
Build A Ankara
Build A Constantinople

Britain:
Build F London

France:
Build F Marseilles

Austria:
NMR (No Moves Returned!)

I'll autodisband one of her armies randomly using an RNG. It came up disbanding Naples.

Spring 1904
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Springs1904Game1.jpg

Welcome to Spring 1904, fellas. Orders will be due on February 8th at 10:00 PM (Central Time, as per usual).

poetfox
02-05-2011, 09:09 AM
I had my disband orders in my retreat orders... but if this keeps the game going, that's fine. My bad for not sending them separately.

Umby
02-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. This is my fault. Let me change up the maps, then.

Meditative_Zebra
02-08-2011, 08:00 PM
My orders will be forthcoming in a few minutes.

EDIT: Orders submitted.

Umby
02-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Resolution will come tomorrow, I'm beat. Sorry guys.

Umby
02-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Spring 1904 Moves
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Spring1904MovesGame1.jpg

Britain:
F North Sea -> Highland Hight
F English Channel -> Brest
F Edinburgh -> North Sea
A Sweden Hold
F Skagerrak Support A Sweeden (hold)
F Denmark Support North Sea (-> Highland Highs)

"1. Highland Height or whatever doesn't exist. I will treat it as if you said Helgoland Bight (Hel), because your orders seem to reflect as if Highland Heights was Hel.

2. There is no F in Edinburgh, you build it in London. However, because it's obvious what you mean, I'll let the order go through."

Please make sure you are using the right names for the territories, guys.

Germany:
F Holland support F Helgoland Bight
F Helgoland Bight support F Holland
A Munich support A Kiel
A Kiel support F Holland

France:
A Spain to Gascony
F Mid Atlantic to Brest
A Burgundy supports A Ruhr
A Belgium to Holland
A Ruhr supports A Belgium to Holland
F Marseilles to Gulf of Lyon
F Tunisia holds

Austria:
F Napoli to Ionian Sea
A Venezia attacks Trieste
A Tyrolia supports the attack on Trieste
A Budapest supports the attack on Trieste

NOTE: If I want to be picky, it'd be nice to have what you're supporting to Trieste in each order. "A Tyrolia supports the attack on Trieste from Venezia".

Turkey:
A Moscow to St. Petersburg
A Sevastopol to Moscow
A Ankara to Sevastopol
A Black Sea convoy A Ankara to Sevastopol
F Smyrna to Aegean Sea
A Greece Support A Serbia
A Serbia Support A Romania
A Romania Holds

Russia:
NMR (No Moves Returned!)

Russia, if you miss turning in orders again, I will officially send Russia into Civil Disorder (all hold for the rest of the game).

Spring 1904 Retreats
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Autumn1904Game1.jpg

I'll autoretreat Trieste to Albania for time's sake and for Russia's absence.

Fall 1904
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Fall1904Game1.jpg

It is now Fall 1904. The next turn in day will be February 12th, at 10 PM. Russia, please turn in your orders or at least find a replacement.

shivam
02-09-2011, 08:21 PM
yeah, i quit.

Umby
02-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Can you please find a replacement, so at least we can keep a fair and balanced game?

And please realize, Shivam, that they're always going to be losers and winners. I'll go over all that went wrong this game at the end (whenever we decide to end).

Which brings me to my next point: Endgame! The game ends when one power has 18 SCs. This could take a long time. Do we want to keep on going, or do we want to set a lower limit?

shivam
02-09-2011, 08:27 PM
can i just bequeath all my land to austria or something?

shivam
02-09-2011, 08:52 PM
alright, bitches, its on. if i'm gonna die, motherfucking turkey's coming with me.

Meditative_Zebra
02-09-2011, 11:27 PM
DIPLOMACY: The WWI Reboot

This exciting new series re-invigorates a tired old franchise. With America out of the picture an allied victory will no longer be inevitable. This exciting new series takes the core characters you know and love from the Great War and puts them in new and unexpected situations such as:

The Turkish empire's renaissance as its lands expand throughout Asia Minor and the Urals
The enduring friendship of the snaggle-toothed British and the stinky French
The Russian Empire's collapse from civil unrest and the tsar's exile to Budapest
The German Republic's foundering military ineptitude
The Austro-Hungarian mass conversion to Catholicism and subsequent migration to Rome
But some things remain the same: Italy still gets pummeled.

Will Turkey envelop all of Eastern Europe? Will the French and British hold together? Will any of the central European powers survive? Will the Russians take everyone down with them? Find out next time in the upcoming season of...

DIPLOMACY

Umby
02-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Coming to gamestores near you, 2011.

Meditative_Zebra
02-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Britain:
F North Sea -> Highland Hight
F English Channel -> Brest
F Edinburgh -> North Sea
A Sweden Hold
F Skagerrak Support A Sweeden (hold)
F Denmark Support North Sea (-> Highland Highs)

"1. Highland Height or whatever doesn't exist. I will treat it as if you said Helgoland Bight (Hel), because your orders seem to reflect as if Highland Heights was Hel.

2. There is no F in Edinburgh, you build it in London. However, because it's obvious what you mean, I'll let the order go through."

Please make sure you are using the right names for the territories, guys.

I would like to amend my previous post. Where I said "snaggle-toothed British" I actually meant to say "snaggle-toothed and feebleminded British."

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/hamsterwm3.png

Destil
02-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Reading curvy text is hard!!

Umby
02-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Fall 1904 Moves
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/Fall1904MovesGame1.jpg

France:
F Tunisia to Ionian Sea
F Gulf of Lyon to Spain
F Mid Atlantic holds
A Gascony to Brest
A Burgundy to Munich
A Ruhr supports A Burgundy to Munich
A Belgium supports A Ruhr

Britain:
F HEL -> KIE
A SWE Support F DEN (Supporting HEL)
F DEN Support F HEL (-> KIE)
F SKA->NWY
F NTH->HOL
F ENE -> MID

Russia:

a bohemia to silesia (NOTE: Order fails because there is no unit in Bohemia, and even if he was talking about Vienna, it cannot move to Silesia)
a galacia to warsaw
a albania to serbia
f balt to berlin

Austria:
A Trieste supports Russia's A Albania attack on Serbia.
F Ionian attacks Greece.
A Tyrolia attacks Vienna.
A Budapest supports A Tyrolia as it attacks Vienna.

Turkey:
A Sevastopol to Ukraine
A Moscow support A Sevastopol to Ukraine
F Black Sea Support Romania
F Romania Hold
A Serbia Hold
A Bulgaria support A Serbia
A Greece Support A Serbia
F Aegean Sea Support A Greece
A St. Petersburg Hold

Germany:
NMR (No Moves Returned!)

Poor Germany.

Fall Retreats 1904
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/mditus1/Diplomacy%20TT%20Game%201%20Pictures/FallRetreats1904Game1.jpg

It is now Fall Retreats 1904. There are two retreat orders needed: One from Russia in Vienna, and one for Germany in Munich. Munich can retreat to Tyrolia, Bohemia, and Silesia. Vienna can retreat to Tyrolia, Bohemia, and Galicia. Both can disband if ordered to. If retreats are ordered into the same place for both people, both units disband, so you need to message me these orders, please. Orders will be due on February 15th at 10 PM. For the rest of you, builds are determined, so here is the build count!

France: 7 Units/8 SCs = 1 Build
Britain: 6 Units/7 SCs = 1 Build
Germany: 2 Units (unless retreating army disbands)/1 SC = 1 Disband
Austria: 4 Units/ 6 SCs = 2 Builds
Russia: 4 Units (unless retreating army disbands)/ 2 SCs = 2 Disbands
Turkey: 9 Units/ 10 SCs = 1 Build

Units, again, can only be built in your own Home Supply Centers (sorry Austria!). Those orders shall be due at 10 PM on February 16th. Get those in!

Umby
02-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I would like the remaining members of the game to determine the length of the game. Typically, the game goes until 18 SCs (half the SCs on the map + 1), but if we want a shorter game (and to cede the game to Turkey, pretty much) we can lower that.

Please vote on the length we want: 13, 15, or 18 SCs to win?

Meditative_Zebra
02-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Well crap.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzm5la2rxhikGWdVcCBqXCnIHSFoMwj c7b6vZd3f6Zmdfo8R_7&t=1

Destil
02-13-2011, 11:26 AM
I think if we pick anything but 18 Turkey has already won...

shivam
02-13-2011, 11:29 AM
man, i dont even care anymore. this is the least new player friendly game i've played.

Umby
02-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Everyone here is new, Shivam. I have to interpret orders as I am given them, because anything else could cause bias in the game. Does this make sense?

And yeah, pretty much anything under 18 will hand Turkey the game, but at the same time, 18 may just be a long struggle for 18 that'll take forever. I'm willing to go on, as resolving one game or another is pretty much all the same to me.

Meditative_Zebra
02-13-2011, 12:02 PM
I kinda think that we should either just end the game now and call it a three/four-way draw or acknowledge that this game is going to take another six weeks and let Turkey battle it out against the British/French.

shivam
02-13-2011, 12:14 PM
I think that honestly, we should concede the game to turkey, who has played excellently, and start over.

i've got a better feel for the way this works now, and while i don't think i could play again (i value my friendships too much), i appreciate umby taking the time to run this for us.

Destil
02-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Likewise, I wouldn't be willing to offer a unilateral truce with Turkey, because I think Error's earned a win. I'm willing to concede.

Umby
02-13-2011, 02:43 PM
For Turkey Winning Outright:
Meditative Zebra (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=974391&postcount=111)
Shivam (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=974400&postcount=112)
Destil (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=974436&postcount=113)

Not Voted Yet:
Ereror
Poetfox
Epithet

Oh, wait, this isn't mafia?

Epithet
02-13-2011, 03:04 PM
I'd be fine with a draw, or even letting Turkey win outright if that's what everyone else wants.

Ereror
02-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm fine with whatever everyone else decides. I'd rather win but a draw is fine also.

Kayin
02-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Man, Ereror, do you gotta ruin everything by winning all the time? :(

Meditative_Zebra
02-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Now that we have a majority for conceding victory to Ereror, perhaps we should make suggestions for improvements to the game over in the other thread. I'll start (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=974602&postcount=99).

Umby
02-13-2011, 06:30 PM
I'll get myself, my friend, and Red Hedgehog on the task of showing what could have been optimized this game, and some critique on moves. As for now, this game looks like Ereror's! Good job getting the hang of the game so quickly, and stabbing so well! Russia never looked any better in yellow.

Meditative_Zebra
02-13-2011, 06:51 PM
I think when you're one of the central countries (Germany, Austria-Hungary, or Italy) you really need at least two friends. And Germany only had one (on account of poor/infrequent diplomacy).

1 friend + 3 enemies = game over.

shivam
02-13-2011, 08:50 PM
I guess I'm just too trusting for this game. I expect that when I make a deal both sides will hold to it. I don't do backstabbing.

Umby
02-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I can totally understand that, shivam, it's kind of how I started to play the game. But you get corrupted, slowly, to figure out when it's best to stab or what allies are trying to be genuinely useful (although, it gets hard a lot of the time and you need to keep close watch on their unit movements and what they say to discern if they're truthful).

While the writeup of the last game is being done, I would love it if you guys would try to spread the word about Diplomacy if you had fun, because if we get enough players willing to play, after another game or two we could get some WebDiplomacy accounts and start playing live games, and even play some cool variants.