PDA

View Full Version : Let's Write Worlds of Power

Loki
01-15-2011, 01:22 AM
This series ended far too soon. Let's discover what could have been.

Remember the rules:

No violence on humans or animals
No reference to witchcraft

Kirby's Dream Land
Chapter Six

"This way!" cried Kirby as the castle crumbled around them. Ryan yanked his backpack out of Prince Lololo's hands and ran towards Kirby who was gesturing at a large hole in the castle's wall.

"No!" screamed Lololo. "King DeeDeeDee needs those magic gumdrops." But Ryan didn't listen, he was too focused on escape. Lololo pulled out his magic lasso and threw it at Ryan but Ryan jumped out of the way at the last second and leapt out of the hole. Suddenly, he realized that there was nothing beneath him except for the ground miles below.

"Ahhhhhh!" Ryan screamed as he fell through the sky. If he ever got out of this he swore he would give up on sweet snacks for good. But just when Ryan had given up hope he felt something grab at the back of his shirt. Looking up he saw Kirby, inflated with air, and holding on to him.

"That was a close one, huh Ryan." Said Kirby as he slowly lowered him to the ground.

Landing in soft sand Ryan looked around. "Where are we now."

"I think these are the Sugar Isles," said Kirby. Ryan looked around. There were palm trees and blue ocean, and lots and lots of sand. But something was off about the sand. Ryan looked closer and realized what was wrong. It wasn't sand at all, but sugar! Ryan scooped up a big handful of sugar and started eating it.

"Ryan, I wouldn't eat so much sugar if I was you. It's not healthy," said Kirby.

"Come on, Kirby. I've seen what you Dreamlanders eat. It's all cake and sugar and sweets."

"That's only because King DeeDeeDee stole all the good food. We haven't had fruit and vegetables in months. My people are suffering, and that's why we've got to take the magic gumdrops to Mount ChockoRock."

"Ah, you should learn to live a little," said Ryan to the pink balloon as he scooped up another handful.

Ryan and Kirby walked along the beach. The bright sun and warm ocean breeze easily made Ryan forget about the dangers they had faced in Cotton Castle. Ryan was soon laughing and joking and enjoying the tropical day.

"Careful, Ryan," warned Kirby. "These islands may seem peaceful but there are hidden dangers everywhere." And as if to make his point a coconut fell out of a tree and bounced off Kirby's head! "Ouch!"

Ryan was laughing as Kirby kicked sugar sand at the tree when suddenly there was a loud splash. Turning to the ocean Ryan and Kirby saw a whale breaching. It was stripped like a peppermint stick and its teeth were made out of candy corn. And riding on its back was WaddleDee!

"You won't get away from me this time! Now, give me the magic gumdrops!"

˙sǝƃuǝllɐɥɔ ɐɹʇxǝ sɐɥ ɥɔıɥʍ 'ǝpoɯ ǝɯɐƃ ɐɹʇxǝ ǝɥʇ ʇǝƃ oʇ nuǝɯ ǝlʇıʇ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʇɔǝlǝs puɐ 'ɐ 'dn ploH
ʇuıH

Wolfgang
01-15-2011, 02:14 AM
Remember the rules:

No reference to witchcraft
]

Lara Croft peeled off her plastic teal tank top, unleashing the biggest, sweat-glisteningest, juiciest titties ever around. Then she petted a dog and said a prayer to Jesus.

THE END!

Eirikr
01-15-2011, 03:25 AM
I wrote this quite a few years ago, as evidenced by the game I used, and intended to do something crazy like actually write a full-sized story but, haha, no way dude, one crappy little chapter is enough.

WORLDS OF POWER: MADDEN 2006
A NOVEL BASED ON THE BEST-SELLING PLAYSTATION 2 GAME BY EA

CHAPTER ONE: THE DRAFT

Carlos Rodriguez loved sports. Whenever he got home from school, he would go to the nearby park and play whatever sport his friends were playing for the afternoon. Soccer, baseball, it didn’t matter. There was one problem though – Carlos was always picked last for everything. As much as he loved sports, he wasn't very good at them. But Carlos was persistent and he again willingly trudged to the park to meet with his peers.

“Hey guys,” said Carlos. “What are we going to play today?”

Ben, the leader of the pack and the best at, well, EVERYTHING in the 7th grade seemed disappointed by Carlos’s presence. “Oh, Carlos, um, today we’re going to play two-hand tag…”

Yes! Carlos thought to himself. Football! Carlos knew a ton about football from all the Madden he played at home on his PlayStation 2. That wouldn’t help him right now as he watched all the other kids get picked before he did. He knew all too well that his skills in the game world didn't always translate to real life. Reluctantly, Ben picked Carlos for the last member of his team.

The action started fast. Ben, who was quarterback, quickly threw a pass to Chris, another 7th grader, who caught the pass in the end-zone and scored. Man, Carlos thought to himself, if only I was good, that could have been me. Carlos was the best player of Madden at his entire school. He could easily beat on the video game field any of the guys who were here on the real field. "If only I could use one of my infinite rushing plays," Carlos thought to himself, "I could gain so many yards for the team, and they'd think I was a hero!"

But imagining about his Madden strategies caught up to Carlos. POW! Something hit him square in the head. He looked on the ground to see the football wobbling by his feet. Ben looked angry. “Come on Carlos, the one time I throw the football to you and you’re daydreaming about cherry pop!”

Suddenly, Carlos felt like he needed to cry. Sensing the tears swelling up, he ran away from the park and back to his house. He ran all the way up the stairs to his room and switched on his PlayStation 2. This time, he would be playing football on his own turf. He would be the one in charge here! Not only that, John Madden – yes, THE John Madden – was his personal commentator in the video game world. How awesome was that? Not even Ben could compare to something that cool.

Carlos forgot all about the other kids as he coached a team of digital heavy hitters that blew away the competition 48-0. He got so into the game it was almost like he was sucked into the TV screen itself. "Yeah! No way those other guys could even compare with a score like that," he said aloud, proudly, to himself.

A rapping that Carlos heard at the front door meant it was time for the fun and games to end, however. “Carlos!" He heard his father yell in-between frantic and desperate knocks. "Get away from that video game and come and help me!”

Carlos ran down the stairs and opened the door for his father. His father was in a wheelchair from an injury he suffered a long time ago. “You need to stop playing those virtual football games and start practicing more of the real thing!”

“I’m sorry dad.” Carlos hated when his dad said things like that about the games but said nothing because he didn’t want to hurt his dad’s feelings. He had already been through enough, Carlos thought. He'd have to abide by his father's demands on school nights.

Knowing that all he'd be able to do now for the rest of the day was boring math homework, Carlos ran up to his room and crashed on his bed, wishing he could pick up the controller for the chance at more amazing sacks, and more ways for him to impress Ben and the gang -- the chance to be a real team player like he wished he could be.

“Hey kid, cheer up, when you’re sad, you lose your focus!”

What? Where did that voice come from? It sounded like…no, it couldn’t be. Carlos looked at the TV screen. John Madden was looking right back at him!

Tomm Guycot
01-15-2011, 09:55 AM
well... I had most of my Shantae entry written when my web browser crashed... so I'll go with the joke at the end, my preview of FX Nine's next novel:

Sneak Peek at Castlevania: Kings of Shadow, coming in May!

CHAPTER 5 - The Crow Monster

Simon Belmont surveyed the large tower before them. A foot bridge connected it to the opposite ridge, making it their only choice to reach the Vampire kingdom.

Warg growled with uncertainty.

"Atta boy, Warg," Simon patted his wolf creature on the neck. "I'm sure it's nothing we can't handle."

Donny
01-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Wall Street Kid
Chapter 15

Benny Benedict couldn't believe it. He finally had won his family's ancestral castle in auction only to discover it had been invaded by aliens. Not only that, they had kidnapped his girlfriend as well! He cursed his luck and wished for a moment that he was at home checking his stock in Yapple computers.

"Rats", thought Benny. "If I get out of this I'm going to marry my girlfriend. Assuming I can buy a house that is worth exactly one million dollars first and a yacht to take her on our honeymoon on."

Benny took a breath and cocked his gun. It was time to prove he really was a Wall Street Kid.

gahitsu
01-16-2011, 02:18 AM
(hey what is a words of power???)

Loki
01-16-2011, 02:47 AM
gahitsu you are in for a treat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worlds_of_Power

gahitsu
01-16-2011, 03:36 AM
Oh my gosh that is a treat!

Was a bit before my time. Thanks, Loki. <3

Warg
01-16-2011, 11:08 AM
MIGHTY READING GALAXY presents
THE DUNGEON OF MYSTERY

Chapter 3

Simon the Wanderer woke up, wearing his special straw hat. He was surprised to find himself in the Balmy Valley Inn! The last thing he remembered was that a bad guy had hit him really hard! Copper the Weasel was curled up right next to him.

Mathilda the Innkeeper peeked into the room. "You're awake!" she said, finally stepping inside. "You're lucky that your weasel friend cast a warp spell to bring you back here. You were badly hurt! But I was able to cast a healing spell on you to make you all better."

Copper raised his head up and said to Simon, "I bet you didn't know that I could cast a warp spell, did you?"

Simon looked around, but he couldn't find anything that he had picked up before! Where was his sword? Where was his shield? Where were his herbs, his scrolls, and the big jar where he kept them?

"I'm sorry, Simon," Copper said with a sad, squeaky voice. "I'm not that good at warping yet! I could only warp the two of us, and I had to leave everything else behind." Simon simply smiled and patted Copper on the head to make him feel better, since Simon knew the value of friendship and was thankful just to have a friend as good as Copper.

Mathilda looked at Simon with curiosity. "You don't speak much, do you?" she asked. "Why is that?"

Copper piped up. "When Simon was just a baby, an evil sorceror put a curse on him so that he couldn't talk! That's why we're going to see the Golden Eagle on top of Table Mountain, so that we can wish for Simon to speak! Isn't that right, Simon?"

Simon looked away, as if he didn't know what to think. Sure, he thought it would be great if he could talk, but he also knew that he had been able to go his entire life without saying a single word! Wasn't there a better wish he could ask for?

Mathilda then looked toward Copper and asked, "So then, why can you talk?"

"Because I'm magical!" said Copper! "And that means I can talk all I want!"

"Well, if you talk too much, you'll get annoying!" Mathilda said with a scowl. "Besides, I think it's about time for you both to start your adventure again, isn't it?"

"YEAH!!" shouted Copper, jumping up excitedly! "Come on, Simon, we'll reach that Golden Eagle this time!"

And so Simon and Copper started their journey again to the top of Table Mountain! But this time, they couldn't find even a single weapon on the ground! Simon had to punch all the bad guys.

When they arrived at Bamboo Town again, they were very tired. They walked into the first house they saw, where a friendly man welcomed them. "Gosh, you two sure look tired!" he said.

"We sure are!" Copper told him, followed by a heavy "whew!"

"Well then," responded the man, "this is your lucky day! My name is Tomm, and I'm a swell guy! Would you like to rest on my cot?"

"Would we ever!" replied Copper!

Before they rested, Tomm treated them to a tasty dinner of chicken and rice, and he gave them hot tea to drink. Afterward, Simon lay down on the cot and pulled over some blankets. Copper jumped up on top of the blankets and curled up on top of Simon. They both fell quickly asleep, and Simon dreamt again about how wonderful it would be to meet the Golden Eagle.

What's the missing letter in this important hint?

Put it_ms in storag_ to sav_ th_m for lat_r!

Warg
01-16-2011, 06:10 PM
... aaand it looks like I broke both rules.

... the benefits of having a competing brand!

Alex Scott
01-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Worlds of Power:
Perfect Cherry Blossom

On a cold winter's day, Marisa Kirisame walked to the Hakuray Shrine, where her friend, Raymu, lived. Her feet crunched into the snow as she strolled to the front door. Raymu answered. "Morning, Marisa."

"Morning, Raymu." Marisa set her broom by the door, and shook the snow off her hat. "Boy, it's cold out there, isn't it?"

"Sure is," said Raymu. "In fact, I've been thinking... it's April. Shouldn't we be well into Spring by now?"

"You're right, we should." Marisa gazed out the window at the snow. "You don't think someone could have stolen Spring, do you?"

Raymu gasped. "Could it be Remilia the Vampire?"

"No, we took care of her already." Marisa rubbed her chin. "I've got it! This is the work of that dastardly Violet Yakumo. She's probably got some ghost out there doing her dirty work."

"I've heard enough," Raymu said as she grabbed her ying-yang ball off the table. "Let's roll."

Zef
01-17-2011, 06:39 AM
well... I had most of my Shantae entry written when my web browser crashed... so I'll go with the joke at the end, my preview of FX Nine's next novel:

Sneak Peek at Castlevania: Kings of Shadow, coming in May!

CHAPTER 5 - The Crow Monster

Simon Belmont surveyed the large tower before them. A foot bridge connected it to the opposite ridge, making it their only choice to reach the Vampire kingdom.

Warg growled with uncertainty.

"Atta boy, Warg," Simon patted his wolf creature on the neck. "I'm sure it's nothing we can't handle."

"Dedicated to the vampire in everyone's dad."

Ethan
01-18-2011, 08:02 AM

Let's attack aggressively meander appeasingly!

Büge
11-05-2013, 07:53 PM
The Lost Worlds of Power (http://noiselesschatter.com/the-lost-worlds-of-power/) is an anthology that is looking for submissions! Deadline is January 31!

Tomm Guycot
11-06-2013, 08:45 AM
We should call our submissions here to avoid TT overlap.

I'm doing Monster Party for sure

Stiv
11-06-2013, 10:36 AM
well I had a great idea for Yoshi's Cookie (a game I know nothing about except it has cookies in it) so I might actually do this

Alex Scott
11-06-2013, 02:35 PM
So far, my ideas include:

A really, really godawful version of Mega Man 3. Dr. Wily's come back to life? AND he's a good guy now? Something's wrong...

Final Fantasy. Sixth grader Reo is reading the book Final Fantasy, when suddenly he is sucked into the story and recruited by the Light Warriors as their new Black Mage, just in time for them to go fight Garland! He jumps in and out of the plot at regular intervals (meaning there are large parts we get to skip), and uses the lessons learned fighting the Four Fiends to deal with various life problems. Based on my imagination when I was 8.

Also, someone from this forum REALLY needs to write Princess Tomato.

Büge
11-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Final Fantasy. Sixth grader Reo is reading the book Final Fantasy, when suddenly he is sucked into the story and recruited by the Light Warriors as their new Black Mage

But then he'll be useless against the final boss.

poetfox
11-06-2013, 04:44 PM
My brain is slowly formulating a plan for Wario's Woods.

It's a pretty bad plan, so I bet it will be perfect.

Alex Scott
11-06-2013, 05:08 PM
But then he'll be useless against the final boss.
This is a bad adaptation, remember?

Büge
11-06-2013, 07:39 PM
I was considering writing a story about Gauntlet that takes the game's title literally: a kid wearing a Power Glove gets sucked into the game because the heroes think it's a magical gauntlet.

ThornGhost
11-07-2013, 05:48 AM
I've already started writing Greg Norman's Golf Power. Stay away.

I'm serious. :toastybert:

EDIT: My real question here is whether to try and ape that 10-year-old reading level style of the original Words of Power or do I write it with a more adult tone?

Mogri
11-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I think this is something I need to do.

I'm considering The Goonies II. One of the end-of-chapter hints would necessarily be "It's fun to play The Goonies II."

Sanagi
11-07-2013, 11:04 PM
First thought: Blaster Master's already been done, so what's the point?

Second thought: Donkey Kong Jr. Math?

Third thought: Maybe I'll just submit this thing I wrote about Pac-Man a while back.

Tomm Guycot
06-14-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm doin' it! I'm livin' the dream! (http://noiselesschatter.com/2014/06/09/lost-worlds-of-power-author-spotlight-tomm-hulett/)

shawn struck
06-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Late to the party but this is incredible and awesome (though I guess it's no surprise that this would have a place in my heart). Seth Godin... I mean, F.X. Nine... would be proud.