PDA

View Full Version : TT Band

Shagohod
01-26-2011, 05:56 AM
I've been lurking and occasionally posting in this forum for years, without much useful contribution. I'm looking to change that, as you all seem to be rad, intelligent people. Thusly, I am seeing if any other musicians on here would be interested in creating a collaborative musical project. I can play guitar, bass, and drums proficiently and I can compose music for nearly any instrument. It wouldn't really be a for-profit endeavor obviously. I figured we could do original stuff and cover stuff. Perhaps be good enough to be put in as GS Quarterly bonuses?

I can play most any genre but for this I'm thinking prog would be a good base genre, along with anything else. Anyway, just throwing out the idea. Would anyone else be interested in the idea?

namelessentity
01-26-2011, 06:58 AM
That actually sounds really cool. I would join you, but the only instrument I can play is the saxophone, and unfortunately it did not make it through the move.

Moirae
01-26-2011, 09:30 AM
I would join, despite the fact that the band I'm in (http://ofthewest.bandcamp.com/) already takes up a lot of my free time. But I'm not into prog. I'd actually be more interested in collaborating with someone on video game music. I'd really love to try and get into composing music for indie game developers someday.

But I guess video game music lends itself more to a one-man approach.

I hope you get some other responses to this though- sounds like a cool idea.

Kirin
01-26-2011, 10:06 AM
In a world of infinite free time (and being more in practice) I would love to contribute keybords to some sweet video-game inspired prog rock. Alas, this is not that world.

Shagohod
01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
I mainly said prog because that's the genre that encapsulates the most amount of styles into one. I figured the fact I put the idea on a video game board would make it apparent that it'd be video game themed and inspired. When i said covers, i didn't mean bob dylan :p Though i suppose we could do a chip tune version of Bob Dylan songs.

I'm in multiple music projects myself so I didn't really envision this as a high maintenance and pressing project. Just somethin to spread collective musical boundaries and make some good tunes along the way. A laid-back, have fun project first and foremost

Moirae
01-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Well, if it's video game inspired and laid back, I'd be interested? I play guitar mostly, but I'd like to branch out into chiptune if that's on the table. My wife is in my band with me... so she might be interested in this as well.

Luana
01-26-2011, 01:16 PM
If I still had an instrument (violin, viola, cello) then maybe I'd be able to participate. Alas, alas, alas. :(

Billy Mays Is AWESOME
01-26-2011, 01:50 PM
We should be a Metallica cover band, that plays their stuff in reggae and hip-hop styles.

mablem8
01-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Relevant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oU0I8APK-o)

Shagohod
01-27-2011, 09:02 PM
To people that don't have instruments but want to participate, there are many programs available for you to compose on and share ideas with, granted you need to understand notes and sheet music and whatnot. I use Guitar Pro personally. Easy to use with a wealth of options. Fruity Loops studio has better samples though. So the best thing is to make the MIDI track in Gpro and then export it to FL studio. You can compose on FL studio as well but i find it kind of cumbersome.

Also, don't be afraid to throw ideas out people! What VG music would you be interested in hearing? What style would you like it played in? etc.? I can easily make chiptune sounding stuff in GPro.

TK Flash
01-27-2011, 11:38 PM
I can play bass and kind of sing (don't expect to much). I am currently working on a pop-punk band and a stoner rock band, so I would totally be up for making some prog with TTers. Recording might be a bit of a pain but where there's a will...

Shagohod
01-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Yeah, recording is my only slight hurdle as well. I know plenty of people who can do it for me, but it's a matter of coordinating their free time with mine. I have a 4-track cassette. Ha, that'd be funny to do it that old-school way. Just mail the tape between us. The low fidelity could possibly give it charm...

Where's Mr. Bungle?! I know he does drums!

Mr.Slump
01-29-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm in an experimental (read shitty) band. It's mostly just something I do fun, as I don't have any real musical talent, but I might be able to contribute something.

Kylie
01-29-2011, 10:31 AM
I play guitar and (terrible) keyboard. I sing, but it's trained counter-tenor, so it doesn't always jibe well with non-classical styles.

TK Flash
01-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Actually, recording would be easy as hell. We all share a dropbox account and put high-quality .wav files recorded in Audacity and the person with the best mixing skills mixes them. For recording the .wav files what I do is go to the studio, run the mixer into my laptop mic jack with a computer speaker cord, then mic the amp. Works like a charm. The only problem would be drums.

Luana
01-29-2011, 11:06 PM
I play guitar and (terrible) keyboard. I sing, but it's trained counter-tenor, so it doesn't always jibe well with non-classical styles.

You're a counter-tenor?! That is so, so awesome.

I'm a contralto, but my range isn't what it used to be.

Shagohod
01-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Actually, recording would be easy as hell. We all share a dropbox account and put high-quality .wav files recorded in Audacity and the person with the best mixing skills mixes them. For recording the .wav files what I do is go to the studio, run the mixer into my laptop mic jack with a computer speaker cord, then mic the amp. Works like a charm. The only problem would be drums.

That seems like a reasonable solution. For drums, I could just use a computer program or something. I could record them but it wouldn't be amazing sounding. It'd just be 1 mic above the drums sort of thing, but sometimes that doesn't sound too bad.

Well, it sounds like we have enough interested people to get a decent start on this. Start throwing out ideas for something to play/cover people! You don't have to be a contributing musician to contribute ideas.

Also, a band/project name, ha. Perhaps, Amphibian Aflame?

namelessentity
01-30-2011, 11:53 AM
I haven't kept track of what instruments you guys have, but a modern take on the Top Gear (for the SNES) track 1 (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/index-sz.html) would be awesome. Or pretty much anything from Top Gear, I loved those tracks as a kid.

Kylie
01-30-2011, 01:02 PM
You're a counter-tenor?! That is so, so awesome.

I'm a contralto, but my range isn't what it used to be.

You THINK it is awesome, but it means you only get three or four rock band songs that are actually vocally viable.

Garbage and Joan Jett get a lot of uptime when I'm not drumming.

Shagohod
01-30-2011, 06:26 PM
As far as that Top gear song goes, I could do it maybe if we simplified it a bit. It has a lot of arpeggio stuff that is very tricky to do on guitar. I've been working on my sweep arpeggios but they aren't quite that good yet!

Umby
01-30-2011, 06:36 PM
I sing Base II, but I don't think that'd help you any. But I'll be watching this project if it takes off!

Shagohod
01-30-2011, 06:44 PM
On a related note, what is the best site to host audio tracks? I just have barebones MIDI stuff I want to share at the moment and I don't know the best place to do that. Somewhere that can stream just the audio. I know I could on youtube but I'm looking for something with a little less hassle

Update: Trying Mediafire. Tell me what you think people! It's just a barebones start to a song. Kind of in the style of the mid 90's RPG boss fight rock. Or something. Gimme feedback! (it is in a MIDI file. Sorry if this inconveniences anybody, but it's easier that way in case anyone wants to import the file to their own music program and fudge with it.)

Song idea! (http://www.mediafire.com/?12u26qvmavyq1ai)

feedback, go!

namelessentity
01-30-2011, 06:58 PM
As far as that Top gear song goes, I could do it maybe if we simplified it a bit. It has a lot of arpeggio stuff that is very tricky to do on guitar. I've been working on my sweep arpeggios but they aren't quite that good yet!

Yeah, I'm well aware of that. I tried to learn this for guitar and gave up after about a week. I really love the song, but it is way outside my skill level.

Moirae
01-30-2011, 08:31 PM
On a related note, what is the best site to host audio tracks? I just have barebones MIDI stuff I want to share at the moment and I don't know the best place to do that. Somewhere that can stream just the audio. I know I could on youtube but I'm looking for something with a little less hassle

feedback, go!

Bandcamp is the only place to put music, in my opinion. if it's a demo, just post it for free download. the stream is seamless and you can upload and download in lossless. Super fast. Clean website design. Organized. Bandcamp is where every new album in the world should be headed.

Luana
01-31-2011, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I'm well aware of that. I tried to learn this for guitar and gave up after about a week. I really love the song, but it is way outside my skill level.

If there's a keyboardist to handle the arpeggios, that could be a good solution to that issue. The song seems like it would be a good one to be orchestrated with a choir accompaniment. That, or as a bangin' club jam.

TK Flash
01-31-2011, 01:45 AM
I guess the fast part could be played on guitar with an arpeggio pedal, but otherwise I think we're going to call up Yngwie. I've never met anyone who I think could play that Top Gear song.

When people make requests, please keep in mind what is actually feasible for people to play with a real instrument and not a midi keyboard.

Shagohod
01-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Reminder people: check out the midi file i linked above and give me your feedback please.

TK Flash
01-31-2011, 06:20 AM
That is my kind of MIDI file. I am swamped with work this week but I will try to start practicing the bassline.

Edit: If any of our prolific writers on the board get itchy fingertips and feel like composing and posting some lyrics here, the project will move ahead much faster. Personally, I always find it much easier to write a song when I have the lyrics, then I know what the song is about.

To date, I have composed about a dozen songs between 2 bands and the songs that had lyrics always went smoothly, and the times when we composed starting with a riff or groove or whatever we didn't progress as quickly. Just sayin'.

TK Flash
02-03-2011, 05:54 AM
LIVE! THREAD LIVE NOW

I have been working on the bass riff a bit, I love it, it's very cool. Just one thing, I prefer to tune a step down in D. Can we play the song in dropped tuning, or should we keep it standard? Either way is fine, I can use a capo or play on the 5th string just fine with my preferred tuning.

Shagohod
02-03-2011, 09:36 AM
I am going to stay in standard because I like the trebly sound more. It fits the music better and keeps the low end open for the rhythm section to punch through. You can tune your bass however you want. If you want I can transpose the tab and any forthcoming music to D tuning. All I ask for this particular piece is to use a pick. It helps with the punchyness.

Also give me some ideas on what to do next. Should we repeat that motif and do a guitar solo over it or move onto the next riff?

TK Flash
02-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Pick for punchiness, alright. I use my fingers almost exclusively so it will take a bit of work but I can do it. Don't worry about transposing the tab; I can take care of that. Edit: Actually it took like 10 minutes to use the pick. Game on!

Some thoughts for the direction of the song:
I think for the composition, we shouldn't change the riff or add a solo yet. I would like to rock on the groove with the drums for maybe 15 seconds or so, break it down, and then start the vocal first verse to keep our lyric-lovin' tyrants from falling asleep. After that first verse though, the sky's the limit as far as progression is concerned.

What I saying is I would like to decide a lyrical topic to give some direction. Since this is the TT band I think it would be natural to write lyrics about TT - not just Percy and double meat, but dig a bit deeper and get into the philosophies of the TT and Gamespite community.

I would also like to lift the Let's Play convention of community participation. I want a bunch of people on here giving goofy orders like "Put a triangle here" or "I want a sax solo" or "Here's a wav of my cat, use that." Of course I would welcome normal requests like "Less heavy guitars" or "More double-bass drum."

Or we can write about wizard dragons fighting elven spaceships to protect the holy fountain, whatever floats your boat really.

cortbassist89
02-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Needs more cowbell.

TK Flash
02-03-2011, 10:13 PM
I'VE GOT A FEVER

Adam
02-03-2011, 11:58 PM
I haven't kept track of what instruments you guys have, but a modern take on the Top Gear (for the SNES) track 1 (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/index-sz.html) would be awesome. Or pretty much anything from Top Gear, I loved those tracks as a kid.

Too late (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMqsWc8muj8)