PDA

View Full Version : Listening Time IV: Rage of the Son of the Bride of Listening Time

Queen Possum
02-27-2011, 07:42 PM
My vast collection of music is feeling old and tired. I say it's time for another round!

How does it work?

Every week, one lucky Tyrant sends out a mix CD to everyone. The next week, someone else gets to send their mix, and so on and so forth.

Why would I want to do this?

Well if 20 discs worth of new music aren't enough to tempt you, there's the always-fun prospect of getting mail every week. You know, mail that's not bills and credit card offers.

What are the rules?

-Sign-ups end March 11th (next Friday), or when we reach 20 people, whichever comes first. Sign up quickly, as it typically fills up FAST.

-Mixes must be on CD.

-Try not to put the same artist on your mix a bunch of times. The key word here is "mix."

-For the love of God, include some kind of a track list with your CD! Even if it's a nifty online track list, or an email to everyone, or even just a post in the thread, let us know.

-Try to be conscious of when it's your week to ship. If your date is coming up and it looks like something may keep you from shipping your CDs on time, please let me know in advance so we can see if someone else is ready to go.

-If it looks like you won't be able to ship at all, let me know so that people who ship after you won't have to send out only to get nothing in return. If you give fair warning, in all likelihood it won't be held against you, but if you slack off, I will send you a constant stream of angry PMs until either you send it or you never want to sign on again.

-That said, if you've shirked on sending your CDs out in one of the past Listening Times, you don't get to play this time. Sorry!

How can I sign up?

Private Message me:

-Your name
-Your address
-Your email address so I can send the final mailing list
-If you live in the US, do you want to ship outside the US? (Y/N) (If you say "No", you won't have to send mixes to people who live outside the states, but you won't get mixes from them.)
-If you need to wait until a particular time to send yours out (aka "after tax day", "before May 1st"), let me know and I will do my best to accommodate.

Shipping schedule:

March 20-26 - innerlogic - 「リスニングタイム」は分かりにくい (Listening Time Is Hard To Understand)
March 27-April 2 - Queen Possum - Before the Dawn
April 3-9 - Olli T - Olli's Finnish Rap Mix
April 10-16 - Stephen - Stephen's Mix
April 17-23 - MCBanjoMike - Trad 201
April 24-30 - WillowCellarDoor - Waiting for the Storm
May 1-7 - Matchstick - 6 Degrees of Zappa
May 8-14 - Turnip - http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww76/friedturnips/listeningtimeiv.png
May 15-21 - uphc - Listening Time Names Names
May 22-28 - The Giant Head - May Contain Songs
May 29-June 4 - Karzac
June 5-11 - dulynoted
June 12-18 - Wolf
June 19-25 - Nich

MCBanjoMike
02-27-2011, 08:04 PM
I sat the last round of Listening Time out, but I feel like I'm ready to get back in the saddle. The big question is, if I send out a new mix CD, would people prefer:

A) Another mix filled with traditional and/or folk musics, or
B) Please god anything but that

I'm happy to participate either way, really. I'm not sure anything will make up for the pain of missing out on Balrog's round 3 mix, though.

Queen Possum
02-27-2011, 08:15 PM
I liked what I heard of the folksy stuff, mostly because it was so different from everyone else's mix.

Pajaro Pete
02-27-2011, 08:42 PM
What does one usually use to ship these... CDs, you called them?

Queen Possum
02-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Padded envelopes, which you can purchase in packs of 5-10 from Target, Walmart, Office Max, or if you're totally rolling in dough, your local postal shipping center!

Karzac
02-27-2011, 10:19 PM
I'd be down for this. I'd like to get some music, although most of the stuff I'm into is pretty well-known and some might find it boring. Still, there's probably some stuff I could introduce people to.

uphc
02-28-2011, 08:47 AM
This is like the only thing I do on this board. Is that weird?

Pajaro Pete
02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
I'd be down for this. I'd like to get some music, although most of the stuff I'm into is pretty well-known and some might find it boring. Still, there's probably some stuff I could introduce people to.

Don't worry, mine's gonna be a Top 40 Only mix.

uphc
02-28-2011, 01:43 PM
I heart Nich's Pichs Nich's Michs the thing Nich does.

Queen Possum
02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Updated the first post with everyone I've received a registration from so far. We're already at 8, so if you want in, let me know soon!

Elements
02-28-2011, 04:47 PM
I thought Listening Time was the coolest, and was telling myself I just had to get in on it the next time it went down! But, I'm not in a stable postal situation right now. :( Hopefully the wait for LT5 won't be too long.

Olli T
02-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Would people be interested in getting a CD of Finnish hip-hop?

Pajaro Pete
03-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Don't be ridiculous, Finns can't hip hop.

MCBanjoMike
03-01-2011, 08:20 AM

Would it be good hip-hop? 'Cause in that case, yes.

Stephen
03-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Yes, 100% definitely with no room for doubt.

Olli T
03-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Would it be good hip-hop? 'Cause in that case, yes.

Well, I was kind of thinking of bad hip-hop, but fiiiine.

Queen Possum
03-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Hey, Nich, I need your info for you to be in again.

shivam
03-01-2011, 05:37 PM

oh my god. i love finnish hip hop. man, i dont want to sign up for this again, but i want a cd of finnish hip hop so badly.

My favorite group is Kapasiteettiyksikkö, but i'm way out of the scene, so they might not even exist anymore.

Olli T
03-01-2011, 09:59 PM
oh my god. i love finnish hip hop. man, i dont want to sign up for this again, but i want a cd of finnish hip hop so badly.

My favorite group is Kapasiteettiyksikkö, but i'm way out of the scene, so they might not even exist anymore.

T-that's rather surprising! I can send you a copy of the mix even if you won't sign up, no problem. Oh, and Kapasiteettiyksikkö broke up a few years back, says their wikipedia page.

shivam
03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
yeah, i had a phase in college where i was really into foreign language hip hop, so i used to listen to french, finnish, korean, and latvian music a lot.

uphc
03-04-2011, 10:23 AM
As long as we're polling for options, I'm-a throw this out there.

I've got a couple mixes I've been collecting tracks on, but I'm not sure which I oughtta focus on to ship. I'll throw titles out and do whichever has the most interest behind it.

Listening Time 4, Vol. ?: Listening Time...

Got Drunk
Hits the Road
Is a Bunch of Degenerates
Names Names

(Also, toppe to keep driving opt-ins.)

Matchstick
03-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Names Names

Queen Possum
03-04-2011, 07:27 PM
* Names Names

This, since it sounds vaguely like an idea I'd had last year, also, get out of my head.

For those of you still waffling, you've got a week left to sign up!

Queen Possum
03-05-2011, 02:59 PM
By the way, speaking of Listening Time, if anyone still has a track listing lying around for It Is A Mystery, could you please PM it to me? I don't remember what was on it and I want to recreate the playlist.

PM'd!

Queen Possum
03-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Tomorrow is the last day to sign up!

MCBanjoMike
03-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Got Drunk
Hits the Road
Is a Bunch of Degenerates
Names Names

[/B]

I kinda like Listening Time Hits the Road.

Queen Possum
03-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Sure thing, chief!

Karzac
03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Could I come a bit later in the rotation as well? It's the end of term for me, so I'm kind of busy. Plus, this is my first time, so I kind of want to see what other people do before I make my playlist.

Queen Possum
03-11-2011, 09:03 PM
That's fine.

If anyone else has placement requests, shoot me a PM tonight or in the AM - I'm planning to get the schedule worked out tomorrow evening.

Pajaro Pete
03-12-2011, 01:51 PM
If nothing else, I'd prefer to not go first.

Queen Possum
03-12-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm waiting on Wolf's address and then I will send out the list.

edit: Mailing list sent, OP updated with shipping schedule.

innerlogic
03-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Because I won't be able to send out my mix any time next week (My Work/Class times directly conflict with the hours the post office is open), I sent out my Mix today. It's 11 songs of, hopefully, pure bliss.

Anyway, everyone (pending location) should be getting it next week.

Queen Possum
03-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Hooray!

innerlogic
03-23-2011, 02:52 PM
According to the Delivery confirmation slips I got, it seems most of you (In America) got my mix. If so, congratulations! I hope you enjoy it.

Pajaro Pete
03-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Hm... bills, solicitations from the alumni association... what's this? RISUNINGU TAIMU????

I'm too tragically unhip to recognize any of these band names, but I'll give it a listen this afternoon.

Queen Possum
03-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I'm about to go pop it in for a proper listen. I shall return with thoughts.

edit: In the interest of not double posting, here are a few quick thoughts:

A lot of bands I'd heard of but not had a chance to listen to before. I liked the Epoxies track quite a bit, I'll probably have to check out some more of their stuff.

I always forget that I like the Apples in Stereo until the next time I hear a song by them, so I should probably take the effort to look into some of their other stuff at some point. Same with the Gaslight Anthem.

And a Harvey Danger song that's not Flagpole Sitta! That's always a delight.

Overall, a pretty good, generally punkish mix. I approve.

Pajaro Pete
03-26-2011, 09:01 PM
3, 6 and 7 = The Best Tracks. When I heard track 10, I had to do some internet detectivin' to figure out who the singer was, because I totally recognized the voice but I couldn't figure it out. But then I was like, "Oh, yeah, that's the dude from Pavement!"

Karzac
03-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Got it and gave it a preliminary listen. I like it! I was reading TT while listening, so I didn't get a great sense of eerything, but Track 3 was pretty great. Good job, innerlogic!

Queen Possum
03-30-2011, 03:15 PM
My disks are in the mail.

MCBanjoMike
03-31-2011, 05:25 AM
Bringing the first mix with me to work so I can rock out the innerlogic way!

That is not how I read this at all.

innerlogic
04-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Well, I'm glad people got a kick out of it. I think mixes with a lot of tracks tend to be overwhelming, so I tried to keep mine short and sweet. At least now I can relax and just listen to new music soon.

Pajaro Pete
04-01-2011, 06:08 PM

Got it.

Queen Possum
04-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Woot.

Olli T
04-02-2011, 02:23 AM
cds on the way. Let me know when you get them, I'll post a link to the track list.

innerlogic
04-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Got it.

Likewise, about to listen to it now.

WillowCellarDoor
04-04-2011, 10:53 AM

OMG! I'm in love with this mix! I <3 all of the songs so far that I've gotten through, I will finish listening on the way home tonight. However, I now have to refine my mix to not include "Destroy Everything You Touch" and might strike Radiohead off as well. My hubby (TheSL) told me you also enjoy Hanson, and that makes you very cool!

Pajaro Pete
04-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Oh hey I listened to this Saturday but I'm dumb + stupid and forgot to post about it. I liked track 2 and 6 the most.

Karzac
04-06-2011, 02:31 PM
I have yet to receive Queen Possum or Olli T's mixes. That makes me sad.

Olli T
04-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Nice mixes so far. Not the kind of music I normally listen to, which I guess is the whole point, so, good job team!

Matchstick
04-07-2011, 08:16 PM
innerlogic always does a nice mix. This one was quick and punchy and to the point. Even if I knew the lion's share of the music going in, I enjoyed it.

QP gets mad props for putting together a hot, sweaty, throbbing, kick-ass sex mix. And for using my favorite Massive Attack song. Another where I knew a lot of the music already, but still great.

Queen Possum
04-07-2011, 08:45 PM
My hubby (TheSL) told me you also enjoy Hanson, and that makes you very cool!

HANSON FTW.

QP gets mad props for putting together a hot, sweaty, throbbing, kick-ass sex mix. And for using my favorite Massive Attack song. Another where I knew a lot of the music already, but still great.

That was an unintended result, but I will accept full responsibility for the sexin' mix in this go-round.

Olli T
04-08-2011, 02:45 AM
I mailed my cds last Saturday, so you should be getting yours soon. So I don't forget, here's a link to the track list:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aiq9BDxOhO6BdFZvMXBSdWNjbDUzMnNSZnZ0YXExY VE&hl=en&authkey=CMKkpIYC#gid=0

shivam
04-08-2011, 05:22 PM
woo, olli, it came today.

Karzac
04-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Got both QP and Olli T's mixes today. I'll give them a listen soon.

dulynoted
04-09-2011, 07:10 PM
I, too, just received Olli's mix and will enjoy it on the way to work tomorrow morning.

Karzac
04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Listened to your mix today QP! I liked it! The first song was my favourite. I'll give Olli's a listen tomorrow probably.

Queen Possum
04-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Olli, your mix is pretty awesome. Sounds nothing like what I was expecting, but on several of the songs you can kinda trace the roots back to traditional hip hop. The second track in particular has a serious mid-90's Dr. Dre vibe to it. I highly approve.

Olli T
04-15-2011, 08:52 AM
The second track in particular has a serious mid-90's Dr. Dre vibe to it. I highly approve.
I'll tell him you said that.

MCBanjoMike
04-18-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm a little behind on my comments, so let me take this opportunity to do some catching up.

Inner Logic's Mix: Not really my thing, unfortunately. The one song that I did like a lot was the Stephen Malkmus song, which sounded surprisingly like a late-era Pavement song. I mean, that shouldn't surprise me, but it did, and I was happy for it. So thanks for reminding me that Pavement was awesome, even late in their career. But not for Wowie Zowie, that album has some pretty dire moments.

Queen Possum's Mix: I haven't listened to this as often as I should, because it is an album of pretty laid-back tunage - and since I do most of my listening at work, where I sometimes have a hard time staying awake as it is, mellow musics aren't always on the menu. Still, based on what listening I've done so far, there are a few tasty tunes in there. The song by The Streets is somewhat odd, but good nonetheless. The Nick Cave song I enjoyed, which is somewhat reassuring; I loved the first Nick Cave song that I ever heard (Red Right Hand), but I haven't really enjoyed anything else that I've heard by him since, so I was starting to wonder if it was just a fluke. And Burn is a super great song that I've known about for a while, but which I am always happy to hear. I'll try to spin this disc again when I'm feeling more alert at work.

Olli's Mix: It's a good thing Listening Time isn't a competition, because we all would have lost to Olli. However, since it isn't a competition, that makes all of us winners, since we got to hear it! As someone who is gradually learning to love hip-hop, this compilation was a delight. It all ends up feeling a bit samey, since I obviously don't understand what anyone is saying, but it's still great fun to listen to.

My mix is nearing completion, which is good, since it has to go out this week no matter what. I've been listening to it at work, and aside from lull near the 2/3 point, I think it's pretty decent. Get ready to have your worlds folked! Or tradded, to be more accurate.

Stephen
04-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Oh crap, I totally forgot about this. I'll send my mixes out tomorrow.

Mike, you should check out Nick Cave's Dig, Lazarus, Dig (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWSDIpSg2b0) sometime. It's just a tick more upbeat and just a little bit less morbid than his previous stuff.

MCBanjoMike
04-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Listening Time, away! Man, I had forgotten how much of a pain it is to fill out all those customs forms. Some of you folks might not see the disc for some time, though, so please be patient.

Queen Possum
04-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Got WillowCellarDoor's mix this afternoon. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but it looks promising!

Karzac
04-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Mike, got your mix today. I'll give it a listen over the next few days.

Matchstick
05-01-2011, 05:17 PM
My mixes are all ready to go. I suspect a lot of people will hate a lot of it, but I had a blast putting it together.

WillowCellarDoor
05-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Just got BanjoMike's yesterday. I mailed mine off on Wednesday, so I hope you all get yours soon!

Olli T
05-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Mike's Trad CD is most excellent! I will need to look into several of these artists for sure.

Pajaro Pete
05-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Hi I finally got a chance to listen to CDs. I'm avoiding listing the names of tracks/artists to preserve the surprise and also because the jewel cases are in the other room and I don't feel like going to get them to see the track listings. I might fix this post tomorrow with the actual track names.

WillowCellarDoor: I have 1, 5, 6, and 14 marked down as songs I really liked (especially 14, it was great). I was surprised when I listened to track 9, because I thought that artist only did more upbeat, dancey stuff.

Matchstick: I like a high concept album. I haven't listened to the whole thing - I've only got as far as track 11 - but so far my favorites are tracks 3, 10 and 11.

I'm taking Match and Stepen's mixes with me to the lake tomorrow so I can finish listening to them.

Pajaro Pete
05-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Double posting and I don't care~

I'll be honest, Stephen, most of yours wasn't really my thing. A lot of it kinda blended together to me, but I liked track 5, and, of course, the bonus tracks. Those were the best.

My favorite tracks from Matchstick's album have not changed after listening to the entire thing, but I did enjoy the covers toward the end.

Queen Possum
05-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Oh hai I have been slacking off on this.

Stephen's Mix: Sadly, I will have to agree with Turnip, this wasn't my cup of tea. I did like the bonus tracks, tho.

WillowCellarDoor: I liked this mix a lot. Granted, a lot of it was artists I already know, but that's certainly not a bad thing. The Bjork track was probably my favorite of the bunch.

BanjoMike: I need to give this one a more solid listen, as I just had it on in the car, but I definitely liked everything I heard. A++ would listen again.

Matchstick: Largely stuff I liked. Apparently I like Zappa. This is an unexpected development. Titties and beer titties and beer.

Pajaro Pete
05-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Thank you for posting Queen Possum and saving me from shaming myself by making the dreaded triple post.

I sent music* to people**, please post when you get it to receive a track listing~

*Are you ready for six hours of Ke$ha remixes???

**Americans, the only folks that matter***

***Actually I'm just a lazy cheapskate who didn't want to spend extra money shipping out of the country or time filling out customs forms.

Matchstick
05-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Glad to see folks are at least entertained by my mix. I actually waffled a bit on which track w/Steve Vai to include. I thought about going with this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXrADCAj8eI), but figured that might be a little too weird for most people. Plus, Whipping Post is an awesome song. :p

Listened to WillowCellarDoor's mix over the weekend and concur with QP that while I knew a lot of the artists and/or songs, I still dug on it. The Bjork track is one of my favorites of hers.

Also listened to about half of Olli's mix. I'm not a huge fan of rap (I like some, but it's mostly older school stuff), but I've enjoyed what I heard so far mostly due to the chill vibe of most of it.

Queen Possum
05-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Turnip, dear, we got your mix and need a track list.

Pajaro Pete
05-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Turnip, dear, we got your mix and need a track list.

Fiddledeedee, Fiddledeedoo~ (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ai1dhZZpeNd9dEQ5VmlDeDZNRzFRYXFIcktwTzVDc VE&hl=en&authkey=CO3g554E)

Having listened to a fair share of Zappa in the past, I found Match's mix to be pretty edutaining. I think Turnip's may be my favorite so far. I haven't finished it yet, but I've liked every single track a lot. I need to get MCManjoMike's CD from QP's car one of these days and finish it off as well.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww76/friedturnips/emot/emot-neckbeard.gif

uphc
05-19-2011, 08:46 AM
If all goes according to plan, Listening Time Names Names should be burned and in the mail by Saturday. Had an abundance of surprise committee work, day job, and the re-application for my day job pop up in the last week. Always with the timing!

uphc
05-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Okay, so the plan didn't quite work out, but now everything's in the post. Unfortunately, while Listening Time Names Names, I have to confess that UPHC Lames Lames, so there's no tracklist included. I'll post a link to it as soon as someone's received it, though.

TheSL
05-24-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm only living this Listening Time vicariously through my wife, but what's the deal with how many people don't even bother including a track list any more? I thought that used to be a requirement in the previous Listening Times?

uphc
05-24-2011, 12:34 PM
-For the love of God, include some kind of a track list with your CD! Even if it's a nifty online track list, or an email to everyone, or even just a post in the thread, let us know.

They let me off the hook, eh?

Besides, Queen Possum always has the best art and it's barely worth competing!

I need a producer or something.

MCBanjoMike
05-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Dang, I have two Listening Time CDs that I keep forgetting to bring to work so I can listen to them. Better get on that tomorrow.

Karzac
05-24-2011, 02:33 PM
I have fallen so far behind on listening to these, it's not even funny. Cataloging them into iTunes is just so much work. I did listen to Mike's though, and liked it. I'll be sure to get around to everything else soon.

Pajaro Pete
05-24-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm only living this Listening Time vicariously through my wife, but what's the deal with how many people don't even bother including a track list any more? I thought that used to be a requirement in the previous Listening Times?

Some of us don't want to compromise the sleek packaging of Listening Time iV.

By the way, Queen Possum, the title of my mix is actually http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww76/friedturnips/listeningtimeiv.png not "Turnip's Mix." Sorry for the confusion!

Queen Possum
05-24-2011, 06:47 PM
By the way, Queen Possum, the title of my mix is actually http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww76/friedturnips/listeningtimeiv.png not "Turnip's Mix." Sorry for the confusion!

Very well. It has been updated.

Besides, Queen Possum always has the best art and it's barely worth competing!

Uh, well, thanks.

Queen Possum
05-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Okay, so the plan didn't quite work out, but now everything's in the post. Unfortunately, while Listening Time Names Names, I have to confess that UPHC Lames Lames, so there's no tracklist included. I'll post a link to it as soon as someone's received it, though.

CD get!

uphc
05-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Tracklist (http://uphc.net/post/5882853029/namesnames)

Reprinted here for the benefit of those less-inclined to click even one link on my behalf:

Hot Snakes - Ben Gurion (2:58)
Led Zeppelin - Hats Off To (Roy) Harper (3:43)
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Abner Louima V. Gov. Pete Wilson (2:53)
The Pogues - A Pistol For Paddy Garcia (2:32)
Mastodon - Joseph Merrick (3:33)
Channels - Helen Mirren (4:59)
Deerhoof - The Greg Saunier Retaliation (2:59)
Harry Nilsson - Simon Smith And The Amazing Dancing Bear (2:54)
Elliott Smith - Amanda Cecelia (3:10)
George Harrison - Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) (3:53)
Goh Nakamura - Sarah Rose (2:48)
The Blood Brothers - James Brown (1:05)
Minutemen - Dr. Wu (1:46)
Uncle Tupelo - D. Boon (2:33)
Heavy Vegetable - Henry Mancini Goes Surfing (1:43)
Art Brut - Emily Kane (2:42)
Wesley Willis - Tammy Smith (2:09)
Heavy Vegetable - Song For Wesley (1:21)
Owls - For Nate’s Brother Whose Name I Never Knew or Can’t Remember (2:57)
The Appleseed Cast - Kilgore Trout (2:52)

Pajaro Pete
05-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Hello? My Pal uphc, I'm listening to your mix right now and I really like A Pistol for Paddy Garcia. Also, despite knowing nothing about it, I approve of Heavy Vegetable.

Edit: Yeah, Song for Wesley is pretty great. I just wish it was longer.

Olli T
05-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Oh hey. I got a bunch of ceedees a while ago, but they all refused to play in my regular cd player so I need to bring them to ExactAudioCopy and let it work its error correcting audio grabbing magic. I've just been too lazy to do so yet. But I will! This week, promise!

Karzac
06-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Alright, I was a little late, but Listening Time IV: This Simple Friday Night is finally in the mail! Hooray! Like I said before, it's a fairly conventional mix, but hopefully there will still be a couple of songs that surprise you. It's a pretty good representation of my musical taste, which is what I was going for. I hope you all like it.

I also got a bit more caught up on my listenings. I listened to MCBanjoMike and WillowCellarDoor's mixes and liked them both. Mike, I especially liked some of the French folk music on your mix, which surprised me since I never thought I'd like French music. Good job!

Pajaro Pete
06-07-2011, 07:20 PM
I got Head's CD

Wolf
06-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Just a heads-up: My CD will be running a bit late, probably going out toward the end of this week rather than the beginning due to PC issues which have now been solved. It will go out by the 18th, though, for sure.

dulynoted
06-16-2011, 02:10 PM
My CD will be a bit late due to some unforeseen drama. I'll have it out early next week.

Wolf
06-18-2011, 06:42 PM
So, thanks to my work and life schedule, and issues with our piece-of-shit printer, my CD will be delayed a bit further to early next week. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and I hope I can get this straightened out soon.

Wolf
06-23-2011, 08:47 PM
SO! I am finally able to get my computer and printer cooperating with me and am in the process of burning my CDs (lamentably late!), and they should be going in the mail either Friday or Saturday. I apologize for all the delays, but I swear I am on top of the problem now and things are happening.

The idea I had for the CD this time around was to tell a story with the music itself, as opposed to creating a kind of soundtrack, which is what I did last time. The "story" is pretty vague, and is basically meant to follow the progression I went through as a depressed and frankly sort of embarrassing teenager to a (theoretically) more well-balanced adult, using the music I was listening to during those times to provide the overall mood and feeling (if not any actual lyrical relevance, save for in certain brief instances), and tell the story of personal progression I think probably a lot of people go through, in some form or another. So you can think of the CD that way if you like, or just take it as a bunch of alternative and metal if that's easier (or more palatable).

The final song, an epilogue of sorts, may not fit entirely too well, but it's a big, fun song that I like for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, and it captures the feeling as well as anything, though I apologize for the rather abrupt change in mood.

Matchstick
06-23-2011, 09:14 PM
I believe I've gotten all the mixes that have been sent so far. I most recently got through Turnip's, Stephen's, and Mike's. I enjoyed them all to varying degrees. Mike's had a great variety with tempos and moods which I enjoyed. It could have been a bit samey, but it definitely avoided that trap. Stephen's had a bunch of tunes I already knew and/or bands that I knew. He seems to think that big, grungy stoner rock is a great Summer soundtrack, and I can't necessarily find fault with that idea.

Queen Possum
06-24-2011, 06:47 PM
We got Karzac's CD yesterday. Haven't had a chance to listen to it, as Head took it to work today.

Wolf, your concept sounds interesting. Looking forward to hearing it.

dulynoted
07-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Sent mine out last Thursday, along with a free "gift". Will post a tracklist google doc in here this evening.

MCBanjoMike
07-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Finally got around to listening to Stephen's CD today. I was pretty happy with the stoner rock mix at first, it makes for an excellent summer soundtrack, but as the disc went on, I started to find it a bit samey and oppressive. It probably doesn't help that most of my favorite tracks were near the beginning (although there were one or two near the end that I liked, too). The Sir Lord Baltimore track is interesting, it sounds highly reminiscent of Cream.

Oh, and quite a left-turn that the mix took after the 10th track, I've gotta say. Unless that was a special addition made just for me and Match?

Wolf
07-16-2011, 06:11 PM
My apologies to the Canadian TTers on board this time around. When I last tried to ship the CDs, the Canadian post office was on strike, so I couldn't do it then and I hadn't had time to get them out since, until just yesterday. But they're in the mail now and should be delivered soon. Sorry for the delay, and I promise that next time I get involved in one of these things I'll be more on the ball.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it; the other mixes have been pretty great so far.

dulynoted
07-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Track List, for those interested:
1 Pain- One Legged Girl
2 Weezer- Ruling Me
3 Metric-Collect Call
4 Freezepop- Lazy
5 The Darkness- Growing On Me
6 Vampire Weekend- Ottoman
7 Natalie Portman's Shaved Head- Beard Lust
8 Cee Lo Green- Wildflowers
9 Mos Def- Ms. Fat Booty
10 Ida Maria- I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked
11 The National- Conversation 16
12 Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros -Coma Girl
13. Coconut Records- It's Not You it's Me
14 Bubba Sparxx- She Tried
15 Cake- World of Two
16 Airborne Toxic Event- Numb
17 Men At Work- Overkill
18 Alkaline Trio- Radio
19 Oingo Boingo- Try to Believe

WillowCellarDoor
08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
14 Bubba Sparxx- She Tried

I loved that song! I don't know why but I hit repeat a ton!

Matchstick
08-10-2011, 05:04 PM
I didn't do that. But I did get it out this month, specifically Monday, so the last Listening Time IV disc should be dragging itself across the finish line and into your mailboxes sometime this week*.

*unless you live in Finland

I got mine today.

Pajaro Pete
08-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Hey, thanks for making Listening Time IV a success everyone. I'm excited in taking part in Li5tening Time (yes that's what we're gonna call it).

Here's a list of songs I liked a whole lot from this little experiment:
High Lonesome
One-Legged Girl
Little Secrets
A Pistol for Paddy Garcia
Ruling Me
Love, Ire & Song
Bird Stealing Bread
She Tried
Swift Horse
Ottoman
Diminishing Returns
Radio
Money Grabber

(I liked a lot of other songs, but these were my favorites)

Karzac
08-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Hey, two songs off my CD! Yay!

Pretty soon, I'm going to catch up on all these CDs. And then I will write about them. All of them.

Olli T
08-24-2011, 02:49 AM
I finally have most of these ripped so I can listen to them on the go^tm

Red Hedgehog
07-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Hey, is it time for another round of these? I know I dropped the ball during Listening Time II, but I now have at least four or five mixes queued up and ready to go.

dhawks
07-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Wow, this sounds really fun. I would totally be up for it if it becomes a thing. I love making mix CDs for people.

Matchstick
07-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Hey, is it time for another round of these? I know I dropped the ball during Listening Time II, but I now have at least four or five mixes queued up and ready to go.

I'm down, as always.

Loki
07-24-2012, 05:11 PM
I missed the last one (two?) and I regretted it. I'm in.

Matchstick
07-24-2012, 05:22 PM
EDIT: Er, I think this thread got moved to the wrong forum...

Fixed.