PDA

View Full Version : Help me play with myself!

Lucas
03-13-2011, 07:31 PM
My desire to play singleplayer card games is at an all time high. I haven't really got many of them, though - Space Hulk: Death Angel and Anima: Shadow of Omega make up pretty much my whole collection. Well, those and about half a dozen varieties of solitaire to play with a poker deck. I'd really like to expand my library, and that's where you (and my tax return) come in! Recommend me some games I can play without all that pesky "having friends" stuff!

Things I like in my games (but don't need):
Quick to set up/play
Good craftsmanship (pretty art, quality materials)

Things that would make me not play a game:
Actual, malicious racism
Child abuse as a mechanic I don't think there are many card games with these things

Any game that comes with instructions for solitaire play (like Death Angel) or that scale down to one player without losing huge amounts of gameplay (like Anima) is of interest, so tell me about them!

fugu13
03-13-2011, 08:01 PM
It isn't a card game, but Agricola can be played with a single person.

Lucas
03-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Would that be just a race against the clock for a high score then? I've heard of Agricola but I don't actually know how it plays.

fugu13
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
The basic goal is to attain a certain number of points by the end of the game. After each time you play, you get to keep one more occupation card you had in play for the next round of play, and you need more points by the end of the game to have completed that round.

It's also pretty easy to vary up, since you can switch out for entirely different sets of cards for variety.

Googleshng
03-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Interestingly enough, I have a new card game with a totally awesome solitaire mode I can't find playtesters for.

The catch is I haven't found the time to translate it out of a gross ugly text file into a reasonable testing format. I'll have to remember to get to work on that flash beta for it later or something.

Also?

Child abuse as a mechanic

OK see, now I'm tempted to actually do something with that. There's a lot of weird subversive potential there.

Lucas
03-16-2011, 08:38 PM
I've been messing around trying to come up with decent solitaire versions of different card games. Houseruling games to add an aspect of challenge and urgency when most depend on having multiple players to do that is an interesting exercise.

Playing Anima while just ignoring the multiplayer aspects is alright, but almost nothing in the end game is a challenge to a full party if there's no opponent players to mess up your attempts to do things. I suspect that simply lowering the max party size from four to three would make certain things too difficult but I might do that and then allow myself one or two other characters I can sub in when I need their particular talents, like in a video game. I've already removed all the cards that are only for interacting with other players; I might also discard a third or half the character deck right at the start to give myself a low limit on the number of characters' lives I can waste trying to save the world.

Last night I tried the Testimony of Jacob Hollow. The idea behind the game is that each player is a person trapped in place that's part Raccoon City and part Innsmouth; the winner is normally either the last one alive or the first one to start their turn with ten points (gotten from killing monsters and investigating locations). For the heck of it, I decided that once my team of three investigators had gotten at least twelve points for each living character I'd win. The investigators turned out to be more resilient than I'd expected and even after I started trying hard to kill off my own guys I still made the three dozen points I needed for everyone to escape alive with little risk.

I'm thinking I can increase the urgency by increasing the number of investigation points needed to win to a straight 40 minimum at least, always playing Encounter and Clue cards (mostly extra fights) as soon as they're drawn, and possibly limiting myself to only one visit to each location so that I have a definite time limit to finish.

Interestingly enough, I have a new card game with a totally awesome solitaire mode I can't find playtesters for.

The catch is I haven't found the time to translate it out of a gross ugly text file into a reasonable testing format. I'll have to remember to get to work on that flash beta for it later or something.

So? How's that coming along?

I'm thinking it might be possible to play the Massive vs the Masses solitaire if I randomize Gamorzilla's actions somehow and just play as the humans. I haven't thought about it much, but using something akin to RPG grenade scatter rules to randomize the monster's movement and simply drawing a card to see what his attack each time is might make for a fun solo experience.

Googleshng
03-16-2011, 09:51 PM
So? How's that coming along?

I'm thinking it might be possible to play the Massive vs the Masses solitaire if I randomize Gamorzilla's actions somehow and just play as the humans. I haven't thought about it much, but using something akin to RPG grenade scatter rules to randomize the monster's movement and simply drawing a card to see what his attack each time is might make for a fun solo experience.

On hold. Last year I ended up with a good dozen half-finished projects scattered around, so I'm kinda going First In First Out right now. As soon as I get this RPG thing out there, it's next on the priority list.

Also, solitaire MvM- Playing the top card and acting accordingly could probably work OK. Honestly though, it'd be even easier the other way around. Army units are easy enough to move forward and attack with thoughtlessly, since there's only one target to mindlessly chase down.

Lucas
03-17-2011, 07:51 AM
I was thinking it would be easier to automate the single big guy then the multitudinous little ones, but you've got a point. "Advance and fire" isn't hard to do on autopilot.

Lucas
12-25-2012, 02:10 PM
I got Lord of the Rings for Xmas! I've only played one game so far (late, late last night) but had fun, including pulling out a last-minute win in the intro quest. I thought I was screwed when I pulled the ending where you have to find and defeat Ungoliant's Spawn instead of avoiding it, but in the end I think immediately pulling the Spawn and fighting it right then and there was the only way I could have won at that point - another round and terror would have finished the game for me.

All in all, a very tense game of managing very scarce resources, and that's without dealing shadow cards to enemies or using a multicolor deck. I plan to try another game today using the basic spirit deck, but after lore's healing and threat control barely scraped me a win playing without those sounds kind of intimidating!

Karzac
12-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Lucas, you should check out Friday. It's a really nice little solo deckbuilder with a RObinson Crusoe theme. I like it a lot.

Lucas
01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Friday has been on my list for quite a while but its actual availability seems to be quite limited these days :toastybert:

Daikaiju
01-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Dungeon! has a solitaire option, though I'm unsure of setup times.

sraymonds
01-14-2013, 01:45 PM
I was thinking of starting up a blog and do LPs of solo plays of my board games. Any recommendations of good solo games?

These are the games I own that can be played solo:

Arkham Horror
Pandemic
Ghost Stories
Flash Point
Castle Ravenloft
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Yggdrasil
Lord of the Ring: The Card Game
Touch of Evil
Elder Sign
Rune Age
Gears of War
Forbidden Island
Marvel Legendary

Mogri
01-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Agricola, Ghost Stories, and Race for the Galaxy (with expansion) are all single-playable.

sraymonds
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
The Stingray Almonds Experience
(http://stingraymonds.blogspot.com/)

I wrote a rambling post on setting up Space Hulk: Death Angel

Rai
01-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Your dice picked some pretty good squads for a solo game.

Secret best solo is taking all of them at once though. Then laugh as your force is ever so slowly picked off, spess mareen by spess mareen.

John
01-17-2013, 09:58 AM
The Stingray Almonds Experience
(http://stingraymonds.blogspot.com/)

I wrote a rambling post on setting up Space Hulk: Death Angel

This is good! Death Angel is a great choice to show off this format, since it has limited complexity, doesn't take a ton of room to set up, and has clear delineations between turns. Also, even though the cards are semi-glossy, they photograph well.

I used to play Pandemic solo, which also meets those requirements. If you're taking requests for the next one, that's my vote. I am also intrigued about seeing your take on LotR, but don't know how well a pure card game like that would translate to this format, unless you just post highlights.