PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I Make a Black Man in Soul Calibur 3?

alexb
06-07-2007, 11:14 PM
There are no good colors for black skin. It goes from orange to ashen gray. It's fucked up.

djSyndrome
06-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Dare I ask where this is going? I'm thinking somewhere between Samuel L. Jackson and Mr. T.

alexb
06-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Hobo dancer.

Mister Toups
06-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Namco doesn't <s>care</s> know about black people.

alexb
06-08-2007, 12:41 AM
A black guy is one of the new characters in this game and the main antagonist in its story. I don't know how they managed to have no colors for dark skin. I can't make an Indian (real or American) or an African or even a truly asian looking guy. But I can make some jackass with mint green skin.

Red Hedgehog
06-08-2007, 01:16 AM
White privelage in action.

ArugulaZ
06-08-2007, 01:45 AM
That's weird... there's that one guy Gargamel, or Sheherezade, or Shamma-Lamma-Ding-Dong, or whatever the heck he's called. If Namco put a black guy in the game, why wouldn't they let you create other ones?

Midway's always been good about racial diversity in its games. The second player in Smash TV and Total Carnage is always black. Also, the characters from Gauntlet and Mortal Kombat have strong African-American features, rather than being the kinds of palette-swaps you'd see in other games.

JR

SkywardShadow
06-08-2007, 01:49 AM
I seem to remember that you open up a lot of customization options as you play through other parts of the game. It's been a while though, and I'm not sure if skin colors are included in that.

Kirin
06-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Nope. You can unlock and buy more and more armor parts in the shop, but I don't think the color palettes ever change at all.

I played that game long enough to get the KOS-MOS armor set, which was probably way too long.

TheSL
06-08-2007, 08:02 AM
It really sucks trying to unlock stuff on my game right now because the part of my save that contains that Ogre Battle meets Soul Calibur game(where you get a lot more money than anywhere else) is corrupt and won't let me continue or save over it. I really don't want to start over either because I've already unlocked a crapload of the stuff.

Kirin
06-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Yeah, there were some nasty bugs. I ended up spreading out my saves over two memory cards as insurance (with the added bonus that I could then store twice as many custom character builds).

I think the consensus ended up being that the main way saves got corrupted is to play some of the RTS-ish mode and then delete a different game's save that's on your card before the SCIII save. So the paranoid fix is don't delete anything off your card until you're at least more or less done with the campaign mode. Annoying, but there you go.

Excitemike
06-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the longest-running, first-run, nationally-syndicated fighting game in video game history!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/eye_robot/miscellaneous/soulcalibur.jpg
SOOOOOOOOOOUL CALIBUR!!!

Torgo
06-08-2007, 08:55 AM
I never touched Soul Calibur until I bought the first one off ebay last year. It's pretty good, and unlike it's contemporaries Virtua Fighter and Tekken, they actually bothered to include 'fun' in its gameplay.

alexb
06-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Soul Calibur 3's costumes have gotten too gaudy and baroque for their own good. I hope (but don't really expect) that they'll dial them back in the sequel. If this is a period game, why can't they try to make more period costumes? I'm not really talking specifically to the revealing nature of the women's costumes. The outrageous, atrocious colors are the biggest issue.

Tira is probably the outright worst example. Not only is she wearing anachronistic, ripped up clothes held together by a few stitches, but her color scheme consists a lime green costume color with magenta stitches and elbow-length gloves. Her lips are green and her hair and body tattoos are teal. It looks like puke. While you can edit character colors, but you can only change the main outfit color and her hair. Her lips, the magenta stitches, and the teal body tattoos have to stay.

To be fair, both of Zasalamel's costumes are excellent, looking very Egyptian and restrained.

Jakanden
06-08-2007, 10:09 AM
That's weird... there's that one guy Gargamel, or Sheherezade, or Shamma-Lamma-Ding-Dong, or whatever the heck he's called. If Namco put a black guy in the game, why wouldn't they let you create other ones?

Shamma-Lamma-Ding-Dong has a wicked finishing move in MK

Balrog
06-08-2007, 10:50 AM
This is a C-O-N-spiracy.

Kolbe
06-08-2007, 12:10 PM
I created a Segata Sanshiro character in SCIII. It totally rocks!

mr_bungle700
06-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Yes, but you'd better be careful. No mere mortal could possibly control him for long, and soon enough he's going to hop out of your TV and beat your ass for not playing a Saturn.

Mister Toups
06-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Soul Calibur 3's costumes have gotten too gaudy and baroque for their own good. I hope (but don't really expect) that they'll dial them back in the sequel. If this is a period game, why can't they try to make more period costumes? I'm not really talking specifically to the revealing nature of the women's costumes. The outrageous, atrocious colors are the biggest issue.

Tira is probably the outright worst example. Not only is she wearing anachronistic, ripped up clothes held together by a few stitches, but her color scheme consists a lime green costume color with magenta stitches and elbow-length gloves. Her lips are green and her hair and body tattoos are teal. It looks like puke. While you can edit character colors, but you can only change the main outfit color and her hair. Her lips, the magenta stitches, and the teal body tattoos have to stay.

To be fair, both of Zasalamel's costumes are excellent, looking very Egyptian and restrained.

I think "riced out" is the term you're looking for.

alexb
06-09-2007, 02:04 PM
But wouldn't that only apply to half the cast, then?

locit
06-09-2007, 02:12 PM
The series peaked with SC. The controls were tighter and the mission mode more fun than either 2 or 3, the costumes were the least gaudy, the story was the best, the characters were more balanced, the physics system wasn't all loose, and in all honesty the graphics were unbelievable at the time. Still are, s'matter o' fact, though the idea of a Segata Sanshiro character might actually be tempting enough to make me give in and finally pick up 3. Which character type did you use, Kolbe?

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 02:28 PM
The series peaked with SC. The controls were tighter and the mission mode more fun than either 2 or 3, the costumes were the least gaudy, the story was the best, the characters were more balanced, the physics system wasn't all loose, and in all honesty the graphics were unbelievable at the time.

I agree with you, with one reservation. The one missing element that would have made SC perfect, but was missing was selectable weaponry. SC is the only game that didn't have multiple weapons for each character, which makes the game even deeper.

And yes, the graphics are awesome. I am so thankful I have a VGA box for my Dreamcast. And the 21" trinitron CRT to hook it up to...

alexb
06-09-2007, 02:48 PM
SC3 gets some things very right. The Tales of Souls mode is more interesting than simply fighting through a tree of best-of-three battles. Also, the realtime endings are a return to one of my favorite parts of Soul Edge. But the silly costumes (another big offender is Ivy's "sexy grandma" P2 costume) and the fact that certain characters like Nightmare, Siegfried, and Setsuka are completely overpowered are two important strikes against it.

The story's getting increasingly schlocky, too. In the first game, there was a supernatural element to the world, but it was comparatively a mundane place. These people survived because they were good fighters, not because they had magic swords (Cervantes excluded). Now, practically everyone has some kind of magic power. In truth, they need to kill some characters. I'm not saying they have to be removed from the roster, but kill them in the story and relegate them to bonus fighter status. It needs to be someone important like Taki or Xianghua. As it is, they're bringing back characters that had killed previously, like Li Long.

ArugulaZ
06-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I could have done without the Dragon's Lair-style "Quicktime" events that pop up in the story mode. These are cut scenes, Namco. The only interaction there should be is pressing a button to skip past them.

JR

Thinaran
06-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I agree with alexb about the characters, Namco needs to get rid of some of them. They should have done that whole "every ending is canon" thing. That way we'd at least be rid of both Mitsurugi and Maxi after Soul Calibur 1.

Bought SC3 as well, but I've only played it for two hour total, and I feel no need to pick it up again. Meh.

philliam
06-09-2007, 04:06 PM
There are no good colors for black skin. It goes from orange to ashen gray. It's fucked up.

Soul Cailbur tryin' to keep da brothas down

alexb
06-09-2007, 07:13 PM
If nothing else, I'll probably always love the music in this series. I like the musical continuity between all the games. All of Mitsurugi's themes, and there have been four different ones at this point, all have this one small recurring musical phrase that precedes the most dramatic part of the song. It's probably supposed to represent the welling of his soul or something. And of course there's been Healing Winds since Soul Calibur I. It usually plays in the museum mode, name entry screen, and credits. I guess it's the series theme, though it's never played in the intro or title. Great song.

Thinaran
06-10-2007, 12:13 AM
My rod will be your doom.