PDA

View Full Version : I wanna wear my underwear on the outside! (Playing ICONS)

Red Hedgehog
05-01-2011, 06:13 PM
So far, the following people have expressed interest in being superheroes! (playing ICONS):

Lucas
Nodal
pence
Nich
Googleshng

I already have the skype IDs of Lucas, pence, and Nich. Nodal and Googleshng, could you PM me your skype IDs?

Everyone should also download:

Maptools version 1.3b76 (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads#MapTool)
This ICONS cheat sheet (http://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/file/view/ICONS%20Cheat%20Sheet.pdf) is probably the best one I've found. Others are here (http://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/Gaming+Aids).
An ICONS character sheet (http://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/Gaming+Aids) (or make your own so long as it has all the necessary information).

You can try hitting me up on AIM, GTalk, Skype, IRC, etc. tonight so we can start making your character. Otherwise, it will be done at the start of the session.

Lucas
05-01-2011, 08:21 PM
I downloaded the Excel character sheet and it automatically rolls up a random character for you. That won't do!

pence
05-02-2011, 01:01 AM
We had our IRC channel earlier, but I'm going to post him up after finalizing:

Jens "White Light" Arbeider
Unearthly (+2 to two stats, one fewer power)

5 Prowess [Exceptional]
6 Coordination [Extraordinary]
8 Strength [Amazing]
1 Intellect [Weak]
1 Awareness [Weak]
1 Willpower [Weak]

Powers: Light elemental control (creating, defending, shaping): 6
Specialties: Medicine +1, Perform (Light Show) +1

Stamina: 9
Determination: 2

Qualities: Child of the Streets of Rotterdam, Techno-Viking, "The light of a thousand stars above," Space Bros: Black Sultan
Challenges: Designer Drugs, Dropout Draft Dodger, Fell in with the wrong crowd, Unwanted fans: White supremacists

TirMcDohl
05-02-2011, 06:18 AM
I am digging superhero games. I'd like to see what this system is all about, but am worried about my connection being too derpy for Skype these days.

Lucas
05-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Jack "the" Dirk
Trained

4 Prowess [Accomplished]
5 Coordination [Great]
4 Strength [Good]
4 Intellect [Competent]
5 Awareness [Exceptional]
4 Willpower [Accomplished]

Powers: Being awesome; really highly trained

Specialties: Athletics, Leadership 2, Military, Pilot, Weapons (Guns)

Stamina: 8
Determination: 6

Qualities: Just Watch Me; I Can Do This, Just Give Me A Minute
Challenges: Bad Reputation; In Over His Head

Lucas
05-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Man, I hope someone was writing down what happened tonight, because that was awesome.

pence
05-03-2011, 12:05 AM
I can summarize the moments pretty quickly:

The Crashmen are summoned to witness a military demonstration of new power armor that promises to steal our thunder. We're the misfits, we wear leather jackets and have been allocated a sweet jeep by the military, which we call The Rush Jeep. I imagine we look something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUjtHf76wM

Highlights included:

Standing around hoping the mysterious attack planes would just shoot the SPARTAN armor so we wouldn't have any competition.

Realizing they were trying to steal it, and that our continued existence was on the line, and finally doing something about it.

The Blip BAMFing into every pilot's cockpit for CQC, experiencing a vision from his old master pushing him onward even after getting knocked unconscious, and teleporting Jack "the" Dirk into a crashing passenger liner to save the day.

White Light pole vaulting onto the power armor with a pole made of light, diving into a turbine engine at Jack "the" Dirk's request, and creating a bridge of pure photonic energy to hold up a passing train before his pills quit on him.

The Olympian presenting a non-shady-looking face to go on the front page of the paper, pulling the pilot free from the cockpit of the SPARTAN armor, and running so fast that he created a tornado to carry him safely to the ground.

Jack "the" Dirk showing up the guy who was actually in charge by rallying the soldiers in the base, requisitioning a small plane, and then flying the passenger jet back to base with some teleportation-related help from The Blip.

I described it as "the end of the pilot episode (I guess the end of volume 1 would be more appropriate), where we all learn that we work better together than alone." Oh, and Nodal couldn't make it, so White Light kept referring to The Black Sultan, whom The Blip was convinced was not real.

I probably missed everyone else's favorite parts so er... just add those in >_>

Edit: We totally need more Greek Mythology in some part of our team, or just mythology.

Red Hedgehog
05-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Superhero Team-Up #86:
The Skeletron Key

Prologue

[Warehouse interior - A sparsely decorated and furnished warehouse with some run-down gym equipment at one end and a freshly painted, though not top of the line jeep at the other. At a table, three gentlemen - one pale with long white hair, another clean cut with a gleam in his eye, and the third dressed like an ancient Greek god are playing cards. From inside a closed office door, someone picks up the phone.]

Voice: This is Jack.

[Office interior - An ancient desk and office chair and a couple dirty windows are all that adorn the room. The desk consists of several unopened letters with military insignia on them (and an ashtray with a still-smoldering cigar? a half-finished bottle of whiskey? several empty packs of gum? I don't think we ever established if Jack had a vice). Former sergent Jack "The" Dirk leans back in the chair and listens to the voice on the other end.]

General: It's General Mills. I have some bad news for you regarding the continued existence of your little gang.

Jack: What do mean general?!? I know you can't offer us much support [takes a look around at his dilapidated office], but you said we had a charter for a year. I may not have wanted this job, but we've done good over the past month. Jesus, what about the chemical plant fire? The ninja attack?

General: Yeah, those were nice but you didn't get much PR for them and they didn't exactly impress Uncle Sam. You're on pretty thin ice and you know that. It doesn't help that your group features two ex-cons...

Jack: Jens was never convicted!

General: Whatever - an ex-con, a junkie, a prima donna, and you - who I seem to recall making a pretty public declaration of wanting nothing more to do with the US military...Look, you know I support you. The Crash Man thing wouldn't have happened if not for me, but I had to pull most of my weight and call in a lot of favors to make it happen. After what happened with the first group, the military wasn't exactly busting at the seams to try funding another one. But you're here and can do your thing.

Jack: So what did you mean about our continued existence?

General: With their disillusionment with supers, the military, especially the marines, think that powered armor is the answer. They can put good soldiers in these suits and have them be as strong as you guys. Avatar Industries has developed this spartan battlesuit and will be showing it off tomorrow at the Kellogg military base. If things go well, this could be where your budget goes next year.

Jack: So we're done then? What do we do, just say "Sorry, we're not going to help civilians anymore?"

General: You're not done yet. I've pulled some strings and got you all an invitation to the demonstration. Go. Check it out. Come up with some good reasons why these things shouldn't be your replacement.

Jack: [resignedly] Yeah.

General: Good luck, Jack.

[There is a click as the General hangs up. Jack takes a long drag/long swig/long chew and looks out the window. Then he stands up, straightens his leather jacket with the Crash Men insignia on it, and leaves the office. He addresses the three men playing cards as he heads toward the jeep.]

Jack: Come on, guys. We've got to put in an appearance.

[b]Tune in next time for Chapter 1 of the exciting adventures of The Crash Men!!

Lucas
05-03-2011, 11:33 AM
diving into a turbine engine at Jack "the" Dirk's request

"Request" nothing, that was an order. Followed by calling him a sissy when he stopped to think about it.

(and an ashtray with a still-smoldering cigar? a half-finished bottle of whiskey? several empty packs of gum? I don't think we ever established if Jack had a vice)

Cigar cigars are probably too high-falutin' for the Dirk, he's more of the cigarillo type (there's even one in his token already, I believe). As for drinking... as leader of this group, yeah, he probably does.

For me these days, at least half the worth of a tabletop RPG is in the banter between players it inspires. In that respect, this game is definitely a winner.

"I need to use determination to make sure I hit with this missile. Is there anyone going 'No, Jack Dirk, you couldn't possibly hit that helicopter from over there!'?"

"Well, I'm asking you not to try...."

"I can totally hit the helicopter without hitting you guys! Just Watch Me!"

Red Hedgehog
05-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Just want to start planning when we might want to try finishing up this comic. I can probably do next Monday (May 9) at the same time but won't know until Friday morning. Does that work for others?

Also, I'd probably be open to letting Nodal in even though that would totally foul up the narrative flow and we'd have to figure out where he came from. Basically, we'd just have to be sure to make fun of him for missing on Monday.

pence
05-04-2011, 12:59 PM
We're about to rush off to get that SPARTAN armor back for the smarmy exec, and the military bumps our budget. Instead of getting an upgrade for the jeep, they pull some more creative bookkeeping that ends up putting Nodal in The Crashmen in the middle of this chaos. How is Dirk expected to lead in conditions like this!?

Lucas
05-04-2011, 09:12 PM
A better question is how is Dirk expected to lead, period. I mean, how is Dirk supposed to lead, question mark? I mean, at all? I mean... you know what I mean.

Anyway, I took my brother's advice about the worst part of Bakersfield and found us a warehouse (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.353808,-118.960107&num=1&t=h&sll=35.373292,-119.018712&sspn=0.291405,0.512238&gl=us&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=35.353846,-118.960149&spn=0.003238,0.004823&z=18&iwloc=A). Easy highway access, and there's a fuel wholesaler and the Soul Factory about a block away (not to mention until very recently a strip club billboard visible from there, as I recall) - everything a superhero B-team needs, really.

Yes, I know this is going to ridiculous lengths for a game that'll get maybe one more session but dammit, I like the game and I don't like working on my LP, so things like this happen.

Red Hedgehog
05-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey, so unfortunately my nights have been quite busy and I haven't even been able to think of a possible date to do part two of this (tonight was the only reasonable possibility and it didn't work out). I'll try to figure out a little later what my next two weeks are like and give some possible dates.

Lucas
05-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Are we still planning to finish this?

Red Hedgehog
05-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Yes. The rest of this week is out for me. Tomorrow. I'll get some possible nights for next week.

Red Hedgehog
05-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I find myself with Tuesday night free. Does this Tuesday (the 24th) at 9pm eastern work for people to finish the adventures of... the B-Team?

Lucas
05-22-2011, 06:59 PM
The 24th should work for me.

In other news, today I drove by the warehouse I picked out for our team and got all excited. Or wistful. Something.

Googleshng
05-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Oh hey, that ISN'T a schedule conflict with Leverage. Works for me!

Red Hedgehog
05-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm really sorry to do this, but I am nearly falling asleep and it is only 7. I don't see any way I'll make it through a whole game and trying to stay up wouldn't be fun for me and probably not for anyone else.

I'm looking for a new apartment right now so most of my evenings are taken up with that. But if I miraculously find a place before next week, I should have some evenings free.

pence
05-24-2011, 04:27 PM
That's fine, Red, I'm also dealing with the huge amount of RPGing. I think I explained it to Nich as 'like a con, but rather than 8 games in one weekend, it's a dozen games in four weeks, which is still exhausting'

Nodal
05-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Alright cool.

Red Hedgehog
06-09-2011, 02:47 PM
So, this week and next week I will be packing and moving. But then the week after, I will be all in my new place.

And what better way to break in a new place than with some superhero punching?

So, would June 21 or June 23 work for people to punch things?

Googleshng
06-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Probably!

pence
06-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Both of those dates are a yes.

Lucas
06-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah, they should be good for me too, even if I'm not planning on punching much.

Lucas
06-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Are we playing tonight?

Red Hedgehog
06-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Sorry, this week has been more crazy than I thought. As my girlfriend will be out without me next Monday, I propose that day as I will be all by my lonesome.

Googleshng
06-21-2011, 07:12 PM
OK, so... 27th then. And... what time again?

Red Hedgehog
06-27-2011, 08:05 AM
And now she has dragged me along with her tonight. (But we're going to a great restaurant so I don't mind that much.)

So once again I will have to cancel and we will have to find a time to reschedule. But probably not until next week the way things are looking for me.

Destil
11-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Twice a Day. A (once) Mad Scientist, until his Temporal Masterspring snapped, dragging him into a parallel evil dimetion and replacing him with the good equivelent. He steals all of the time, all of it, and releases it in short bursts.
His powers are from residual temporal eddies aligned to his exact quantum signture, since he was at the epicenter of the blast.
And he's very rarely right.
About anything,

Gimmick +2 to one mental (int)
Prowess 3
Coordination 6
Strength 4
Intellect 7
Awareness 4
Willpower 4

-3 powers-
Time Control: Level 5
Duplicates, Super Speed
Heat resistance: level 6

-3 Specilities-
Science!
Weapons
??
(I have no idea what these do!)

Lucas
12-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Destil, as I recall specialties give you a +1 bonus to related rolls. Science and I think Weapons are actually both group skills that require you to choose a specific specialty. For instance, my hero's Chemistry specialty would give him +1 to rolls that have to do with chemicals.

Speaking of my hero, I was thinking of making my Pathfinder character for TirMcDohl's game once and for all today and finally remembered about this game....

The Gremlin
Origin: Gimmick (uses gadgets, +2 to one mental stat)

Abilities
Prowess: 3
Coordination: 5
Strength: 5
Intellect: 6
Awareness: 7
Willpower: 5
(Switched my original C7 and A5, added 2 to I4)

Powers (4)
Affliction level 6
Force Field level 2
Probability Control (bad luck) level 5

Stamina: 10
Determination: 1

Specialties:
Electronics
Leadership
Science (Chemistry)

Qualities:
For my girls!
This should be a laugh.

Challenges:
Isn't there an easier way to do this?
I have someone for this.

A former villain turned hero (http://gailan572.deviantart.com/art/Junior-Villain-Meet-Greet-206412097), the Gremliminator found himself inexplicably surrounded by women (http://gailan572.deviantart.com/art/Obligatory-Introductory-Story-257262922) through a series of almost contrived circumstances, eventually becoming the Charlie to their Angels. Extraordinary coincidences have led to him being imprisoned in a foreign country for the crimes of a villain sharing his former nom de mask of "The Gremlin." Now the Gremliminator needs to recall the skills that made him an effective mask on his own while escaping supervillain prison armed only with a couple wafer-thin pieces of alien technology he smuggled in and a pair of rubber gloves covered with his own special brand of prison toilet acid , all while preventing his either of his real identities becoming known.