PDA

View Full Version : D&D: Paramount Consulting, a Nentir Vale heroic-tier Company

pence
07-26-2011, 07:57 AM
[A Nentir Vale D&D campaign]

Good evening, and thank you for your interest in Paramount Consulting, an exciting new heroic-tier company. It is easy to focus your considerable investments on larger, paragon-tier companies such as Acquisitions Inc, while losing sight of the smaller heroic-tier companies in your own community. However, those firms cannot offer you the incredible growth potential of a party of level 1 heroes. Consider the facts:

By pulling their silver pieces out of local villages and investing in the djinni wish-market, paragon-tier companies do more harm than good for the health of the economy.

A paragon-tier company sinks most of its cash into costly and, frankly, unnecessary material. Godplate? Elderhide? Eventually, good old fashioned steel and animal pelts can't maintain such powerful parties. Which leads to our next point...

A paragon-tier company is rarely a good patron of their local community. Necromancers and Goblins - the very same that reanimate your loved ones and spook your horses - fall below the purview of level 11 parties. To maintain their bottom line, they have to sail the astral sea or seek investors in large, extraplanar cities such as Sigil.

This is not Paramount Consulting.

At Paramount Consulting, we have a tiered growth plan which respects the Vale and our neighbors in Winterhaven. All we're asking for is your faith, a warm cot, and a store that is willing to accept gold salvaged from the purses of evil humanoids. So join us on our incredible journey, with our first project - the Keep on the Shadowfell.

Paramount Consulting is:
CEO / Strategic planning: Valborga, Tiefling Warlord [Nich]
Chief Magical Officer: Bruin Stoutlager, Dwarf Wizard [Heron]
Project Manager: Thotham Rockgut, Goliath Warden [widdershins]
"Public Relations": Albus Swallowtail, Human Rogue/Bard [pence]
Humanoid Resources: Helana, Halfling Warlock [Toothache42]

pence
07-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Absolutely, Valborga, it was your best idea yet! I'm just happy to be able to make an honest gold piece, and I am excited to be getting in on the ground floor with an adventuring company I can believe in.

TheGreatSombrero
07-26-2011, 01:30 PM
(I played a Golath Warden named Jog Mongor once. Loved that big guy...)

widdershins
07-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Albus, you should probably know that the Winterhaven Adventurer's Guild (WAG) bylaws explicitly prohibit the defamation and/or libel of other companies in any promotional material. You might want to run it by me next time so we can avoid any undue unpleasantness.

Heron
07-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Albus your a good lad, did I ever tell you that? Why it reminds me of a story once that, hmm, no perhaps another time.

---------------

I made some changes to Bruin Stoutlager's (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_pUsAAzLHn3NjM5NWU2M2ItMjYzNS00NjE1LTg4MzE tYmUzNDAyYzk2Mzk0&hl=en_US) character sheet. Also, have we decided on using a virtual tabletop or not, and if so, which one?

Nodal
07-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Maptool, 1.3b86

widdershins
07-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Also, have we decided on using a virtual tabletop or not, and if so, which one?

Maptool 1.3b86

Edit: DAMMIT NODAL

pence
07-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Here is Albus's character sheet, and some notes (I'm no uber-optimizer, but I've also played this game a lot from the other side of the screen, so I'm somewhere in the middle):

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B-dcykL9Hh0eMmUzY2VhMjgtYjFlNS00MTA1LWFjYWUtYTIxMTFk YmU0MDRj&hl=en_US

First thing's first, since we're only using the PHB and PHB2, that limits my feat and power choices. That's not a bad thing, it just colors the rest of my decisions. Since I'm a human, I get an extra at-will power, so it's a matter of selecting which one I don't want. Since I'm a Charisma-based rogue, a Strength-based power does me no good, and Riposte Strike gets dropped on the floor. That leaves three at-wills:

Piercing Strike (high-accuracy, attacks reflex instead of ac)
Sly Flourish (high-damage, adds my charisma modifier to damage, also usable at range)
Deft Strike (lets me move* before my attack, allows for ranged sneak attacks from shadows [*thanks, Destil]).

My encounter power, well... King's Castle lets me switch places with an adjacent ally, but most of the time I want to be standing on the opposite side of an enemy, so they won't be adjacent. Positioning Strike lets me slide my target 3 squares, which would be awesome with an orb wizard (dump him into the cloud of daggers a few times!), but Bruin's packing Scorching Burst. Torturous Strike is another strength power, so that leaves me with...

Dazing Strike (Daze a target for a turn; a stunlock power to go with Bruin's Chill Strike)

Finally, my daily power. I know I don't want Easy Target, since getting combat advantage (save ends) seems pretty weak for a daily. It's probably not even going to stick to solos, where I'd want it. The other two I was torn on:

Blinding Barrage (Blind and damage a whole bunch of enemies in a close blast 3, killing minions like Shinobi)
Trick Strike (A big hit, and then I can slide the target 1 square every time I hit it for the rest of the encounter)

I went with Trick Strike since I think we'll have enough minion-killing options with Bruin's at-wills and Thotham's encounters, but we'll see.

For feats, I knew I wanted to get some backup healing, and I also wanted to be a classic sidekick character, likeable despite being the rogue. Bardic Dilettante gave me both of those - a daily healing power and training in Diplomacy. The bard's healing power even lets me set up flanks, because it has a built-in slide - seems pretty good. My second feat I had to think about, but I settled on Melee Training (dexterity). My thinking behind this is that Valborga is going to be throwing out extra melee basic attacks, and without strength my melee basic attack sucks. Playing without the recent errata is a double-edged sword; on one hand, I get my full dexterity modifier added to my damage roll, not just half. On the other hand, pre-errata, rogues can only get their sneak attack damage once per round, instead of once per turn. If I'm doing my job right, there's no reason to give me an attack after my turn, because I'll already have used my sneak attack dice.

Destil
07-27-2011, 11:49 AM
[Deft Strike is a move, not a shift. Good to get you in position and giving you a bit of extra range on thrown daggers, but you can't dance around the front lines with it with impunity.]

pence
07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Fixed. Good catch, Deft Strike is not an automatic CA machine. But it still allows for say, a stealth behind a pillar, then jumping out and getting sneak attack damage with the power.

widdershins
07-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Hello ladies and gentlemen!

This here is Thotham Rockgut. (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B3eZgU0Xw2X1YmZmY2I5MzEtNmQ2MC00ZDc2LWIwM2Y tM2Y4MTA1Nzk1NjVi&hl=en_US) Pence mentioned to me earlier that he was worried his mechanics breakdown might be a bit intimidating to the non-initiated, so I decided to do one of my own with a slightly more beginner-friendly bent. If'n D&D is something that interests you, but you don't know a d20 from a dirigible, I'm here to help!

Thotham is a Goliath Warden, which I picked mostly because warden is a new class for 4th Edition, so it got me interested. Basically, wardens are nature loving behemoths, and our job is to make sure monsters spend their time hitting us instead of our teammates. They have more hit points than nearly any other D&D class, but they're not quite as good as Fighters (the de facto vanilla tank) at making things hit them -- so you have to be a little creative.

First up, my at-will powers. These guys I can use as much as I want, once per turn, during battle. There's nothing here that lets me prevent enemies from going after my allies, so they're mostly focused on making sure I can take as much of a beating as possible.

Earth Shield Strike: If I hit, I get a +1 bonus to my armor class, making me more difficult to hit.

Strength of Stone: If I hit, I get 4 temporary hit points, which act as a buffer before enemies can get to my for-real hit points.

Next comes my encounter power. I can use this as many times as I like per day, but only once during any one battle. They hit a little harder and do cooler things than at-wills.

Thunder Ram Assault: This one's designed to get baddies away from my friends when they get too close. If I hit, I can push my target back 4 squares, and as an added bonus, I can attack any other group of enemies adjacent to me in a 3x3 square and push them back 1 square if I hit.

Finally, there's dailies. These are the best of the bunch, and I've gotta get a full night's sleep in between uses.

Form of Winter's Herald: I shapeshift for the remainder of the encounter. While in this form I get a +1 armor bonus, negate the first 5 damage that comes my way if it's a "cold" attack, and any space within 2 squares of me qualifies as "difficult terrain" for my enemies (which means they can't move through it as quickly).

As an added bonus, any of my warden forms also give me an extra encounter power, which I can use any time I'm in the form.

Winter's Herald Attack: I attack every enemy within a square of me, and if I hit, they are immobilized (they can attack, but they cannot move) until they successfully save (roll high enough at the end of their turn). Even if I miss, i still do half damage to anyone I hit, and they're immobilized for a turn (so they don't need to save, once the turn is up).

On top of that, my race and my class give me some extra bonus abilities that help me some more when it comes to being the damage sponge of my group.

Because I'm a Goliath (7" tall bald giant), I get a bonus to my Constitution (which in turn gives me more hit points) and can, once per encounter, negate the first 5 damage that comes my way from any source for a full round.

As a Warden, I get some extra toys to play with as well. First up are my passive abilities:

Font of Life: When hit with a persisting ability (like my immobilization mentioned earlier) or ongoing damage, most characters can only make a save attempt at the end of their turn. I get double the opportunities, and can make one at the beginning of my turn as well.

Earthstrength: Most characters use their Dexterity skill to determine their armor class (how difficult they are to hit). Since none of my abilities are tied to dexterity, that's kind of a waste for me, so as a class ability I can use Constitution instead. Extra hit points and extra dodge at the same time!

Nature's Wrath: Once per turn I can "mark" every enemy adjacent to me. When an enemy is marked, they have a special incentive to attack me, as they take a penalty to attack anyone else.

If, however, my enemies are still foolish enough to try and attack my friends after I've marked them, wardens get another couple of nasty abilities to help discourage them further.

Warden's Fury: If I'm next to a marked enemy, and they try to attack an ally, I get a free attack on them and all my allies get a bonus on their attacks against them until my next turn.

Warden's Grasp: If, however, I'm not next to a marked enemy, but close by, and they try to attack an ally, I can move them one space (probably closer to me!) and slow them until the end of their turn.

Last, but not least, every player gets to choose one "feat" at their first level. Feats are abilities that represent a special skill that they have and can be anything from extra damage when they hit with a particular type of weapon, to extra hit points or improved skills. For me, I wanted another way to keep my enemies close to me, and away from my buddies.

Sudden Roots: In D&D there's a thing called an "attack of opportunity". If a guy is next to you, and they try and move away from you, you get a free attack on them. If I hit an enemy with one of these, they're slowed for the rest of their turn. That's right guys... don't wander too far. I've got a nice friendly hammer waiting for you here.

So that's Thotham in a nutshell. If I do my job right, enemies will be too busy dealing with me to have time to worry about my friends, and let me tell ya -- I can take a beating.

pence
07-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Tonight I demonstrated my Dungeons and Dragons skills by moving behind a boulder, rolling a 20 on my stealth check, then using Deft Strike to shift out and get a sneak attack, rolling another 20, for 20 damage. It was kind of disgusting. I made up for it by trailing behind the party, then showing up late when they were ambushed from the other direction. Encounter #2: don't split the party!

I really like having the Artful Dodger bonus to my AC against opportunity attacks, it made charging straight at the (dazed, granting CA~) caster in the back a lot of fun. Hammer and Anvil is awesome (Valborga is the best!), as was learning that Warlock curses last for the entire encounter (how long have I been playing without knowing that?)

I cross referenced the NPC names, since they're a bit wacky, but here we go:
-Douvan Staul's wife has hired us to find him. He's an adventuresome human with a penchant for dungeon delving (it's a sickness, we should know!) and was last seen heading for an ancient dragon burial ground. He has not returned.
-Lord Padraig, who was drinking at the bar. Valborga spent an inordinate amount of time hammering out the details before reaching the conclusion that we could keep any treasure we found in return for slaying the kobolds in the waterfall down south. It also happened to be near the dragon burial grounds, so bonus!
-A paranoid elf who was scouted by Albus, then chased off by Valborga and Thotham. Got everyone thinking that there might be an evil cult situation with the townsfolk and the kobold cave by the waterfall.
-An old man who was telling tall tales of his youth - a skill which Albus is very familiar with. Well, he's kind of young, but the tall tales part.
-Salvana Wrafton, the owner of the inn.
-Valthrun the Prescient, a prickly wizard who didn't take kindly to Bruin and Albus barging into his home and proselytizing the usefulness of Paramount Consulting's services.
-Rond Kelfem, who nearly conscripted Thotham

Oh, we also found an amulet bearing a symbol of the demon-lord Orcus on the Kobold Wyrmpriest we killed. If you're not familiar, Orcus is the guy on the Monster Manual:

http://i56.tinypic.com/11kdrfr.jpg

To paraphrase Jerry from the PA podcasts: "Oh ho ho. Look, if Orcus himself is in that room, we have bigger fish to fry. Specifically, we will be frying."

Karzac
07-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Except in D&D he looks like he's about to rip your skull out of your head. In MegaTen, he looks like he's auditioning for The King and I.

widdershins
07-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Oh shit, he's the motherfucker that eats your ship in SJ. I fucking hate that guy.

HE'S GOING DOWN.

pence
07-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Regardless of what he looks like, I think the demon prince of undead is a sufficiently dire problem, especially if he's got kobolds on his side rather than, say, Tiamat's. I'm going to go out on a limb and say we've got a high risk, high reward situation.

All of this banking on one of our employees having a sufficient religion score to know about Orcus, of course.

widdershins
07-29-2011, 11:58 AM
All of this banking on one of our employees having a sufficient religion score to know about Orcus, of course.

Gimme a few more levels. :-)

Toothache42
08-01-2011, 06:24 AM
Having been a D&D player since the end of 2nd edition, but a new player to 4e D&D, I figure I'd experiment with one of the new classes - the warlock. L1 spellcasters are far less squishy than in earlier gens, which is good if things don't go my way, but with warlocks being primarily ranged strikers I figure I'd go with something that can dance around the battlefield, pelting enemies from afar and keeping them confused as the tougher players deal with things up close.

4e adds a lot of options for a support role as well as direct damage, and I like to make things easier for the rest of my team. With that in mind, I went with what is considered a standard build - it is virtually copy pasted from the PHB - but grants me things I want. From a roleplaying perspective, I went with a Charisma based Warlock, with Intelligence secondary. There are some nice Con-based powers, but they don't quite suit the personality Helana has.

Class abilities
I went with the fey pact, as it gives bonuses to certain powers as well as Eyebite. Suits her nature well.

Prime Shot - +1 ranged attack rolls if no allies are closer than any enemies.

Shadow Walk - concealment granted until next turn if I move more than 3 squares.

Warlock's Curse - as a minor action, target nearest enemy each round with a Curse, this remains permanently, and any subsequent attacks she performs against a Cursed target take +1d6 damage. Also, if the cursed individual reaches 0 HP, I get to teleport as a free action up to 3 squares away.

These abilities combine to give Helana high mobility on the battlefield. I want to always be moving, since I get to avoid more attacks, and I can keep safely out of melee range when Cursed enemies start falling - this is made much easier by the extra damage of the curse.

At-Will
Eldritch Blast - Cha vs Reflex, 1d10+Cha damage. Basic direct damage.

Eyebite - Cha vs Will, 1d6+Cha psychic damage, and become invisible to target until next round. I like to use this if a single enemy charges into melee against Helana, hopefully keeps them confused long enough for her to escape.

Encounter
Witchfire - Cha vs Reflex, 2d6+Cha fire damage, target suffers [2+Int bonus] penalty to attack rolls until next turn. Great if a particularly heavy hitting enemy is causing trouble to the party.

Daily
Curse of the Dark Dream - Cha vs Will, 3d8+Cha psychic damage, slide target 3 squares. Can also sustain minor for 1 square slide, whether I hit or miss (save ends). This can be great for bringing enemy long range attackers closer to danger, and make them have to change tactics. Damage is pretty hefty too.

As a halfling, Helana also gets a few neat racial traits:
Second Chance - can force a reroll of a successful attack roll, once per encounter. Uses second roll even if it is lower.

+2 Acrobatics, +2 Thievery. Two skills I probably won't use much.

Bold - +5 saving throws vs fear effects. Keeps her from being intimidated by magic or otherwise, allowing her to keep on the offensive.

Nimble Reaction - +2 AC vs opportunity attacks. Another great bonus which aids in keeping her safely mobile across the battlefield.

As a fan of Fire Emblem games, I'm used to tactical movement around a grid-based system, and a warlock lends itself well to this approach - I get to keep constantly on the move, keeping the damage up while avoiding as much close combat as possible, and I have a few neat tricks for making things easier on the rest of the party as well.

pence
08-01-2011, 10:34 PM
So Thotham got captured, that's a thing that happened. Albus might have a brave face on, but he's not really the type of Rogue that works alone, and he's not feeling too hot about losing Thotham. Ever since Albus stayed back to watch the party's rear for ambushes, arriving just in time to pick Thotham up off the ground, he's been worried about letting his friends out of his sight, so he's taking it pretty hard. Of course, I have a feeling Valborga's got a plan for this situation, so we might be able to pull it together.

Heron
08-02-2011, 12:00 AM
The best plan is always to be ready to come up with a plan!

Mightyblue
08-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Wow, letting the defender get capped is not good.

Toothache42
08-02-2011, 04:52 AM
Why do I have a feeling the tiefling being set on fire is going to become a running gag?

pence
08-02-2011, 05:07 AM
She's smoldering. No, really, she's smoldering - doesn't seem to bother her much.

widdershins
08-03-2011, 12:33 AM
If anyone's interested in some of the details of our harrowing 3 hour encounter and my subsequent capture, I made something for you. (http://proudlymediocre.com/2011/08/introducing-paramount-consulting/)

And to think, in that wall of text I forgot to mention my favorite little running gag which is that Valborga seems to get set on fire in every encounter, but since she's a Tiefling, she doesn't even notice.

Mightyblue
08-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I play a Lifespirit (one of the Primal Power options, adds Wis to AC and lets an ally five squares of me burn a healing surge and make a save when I use my Second Wind) Warden in pence's campaign, and Kristof (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhivnJ4EDA) plays completely differently to yours Widder. He's more of a Defender crossed with Leader than anything else, and I've tricked out his gear and power set so that he's capable of doing a bit of striker work with charges as well.

widdershins
08-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Before this game, I didn't even notice the bit about adding my Con to my AC again after I take my second wind (Which, after you consider that I had already shapeshifted, gave me a 25 AC at level 1), so I was really excited when Pence pointed it out to me. This probably accounts for my temporarily forgetting that scorching burst targets reflex. D'OH!

Our team's pretty well balanced overall so far, but we could probably use another off-healer. At present we have a max of 3 heals per encounter (not counting second winds), and Pence's heal is a daily to boot. I'm planning to eventually multiclass as a cleric for flavor anyway, so I may just swap out my existing feat (which has yet to come into play, since with all my marking, I rarely dish out attacks of opportunity) and give myself healing word early.

pence
09-02-2011, 10:22 PM
An in-character recap of session #4, wherein our heroes finally make it to the Keep on the Shadowfell. Blame Nich, for setting the bar high:

[Albus, visibly aged, is sitting atop a barrel in an alley. Two children, dirt on their faces, sit before him - Wil is a boy wearing a cloak he fashioned out of rat fur, and Kat is a girl holding a very humble holy symbol of Avandra]

Wil: So Albus found a giant pile of copper pieces in Irontooth's lair and he didn't buy a castle and become a king?

Albus: You need more than money to be a king. Besides, Albus didn't want to be a king.

Wil: Well, I would've become a king, and everyone would've had to do what I say!

Kat: Hmph, I'm with Albus.

Albus: [Holds his hand out, interrupting] Irontooth had a letter, written by a bad guy named Kalarel. It said there was a spy in Winterhaven, and he was working for Orcus. Albus knew he had to be on his guard... he followed Valborga back to Winterhaven, and everyone there was acting real funny.

Kat: Were they sick?

Albus: No, not sick, but frightened. Tomas, a farmer, was walking right through the center of Winterhaven when Thotham scooped him up and demanded to know what was the matter!

Wil: Yeah! He beats him up doesn't he?

Albus: The goliath held him right up off his feet and asked him again! Tomas was shaking, he told Thotham it felt like someone had walked over his grave... everyone in Winterhaven was feeling nervous and weak. No one even wanted to tell stories at Salvana's inn. Well, Thotham put him down and promised that he'd be safe, and the poor farmer hugged the goliath, right then and there.

Kat: The frightened farmer hugged the scary rock man?

Wil: The big strong rock man hugged him!?

Albus: He sure did! He was a priest of Moradin, and he had compassion and forgiveness in his stony heart.

Kat: Oh, he's not so scary then.

Albus: At the inn, the old wizard Valthrun was biding his time alone. Well, Valborga shook up his day when she showed him that letter from Kalarel. He sputtered on his tea and ran right off to his tower to get a musty old history book. When he came back, he even had Lord Padraig with him, and a bunch of guards.

Wil: They were in trouble?

Albus: The whole town was in trouble! Valthrun read the history book to them, it was about an old Keep, built on top of a rift to the Shadowfell. See, a long time ago, the man in charge of the Keep, Sir Keegan, went mad and killed all of his soldiers.

Wil: Woah! By himself?

Albus: That's what Valthrun's book said! And even after he was killed, his ghost haunted the Keep. And even worse, if Kalarel was working for Orcus, the only reason he would be in Winterhaven would be to open up that rift.

Kat: That's bad!

Albus: Well, Albus and his friends were going to stop that.

Kat: Yeah!

Albus: And they were going to get rich, too.

Wil: Yeah!

Albus: Lord Padraig told them they'd all get lots of gold if they brought him Kalarel's head, so they set off while everyone cheered. People were really excited that they were finally going to be rid of the curse! Even Tomas was there, cheering them on!

Kat: Did they get to the Keep?

Albus: Yeah, but it wasn't easy. The trail was overgrown, and Bruin almost got them lost, but they finally made it. There was only one entrance in that old pile of stones, and they could hear all kinds of skitters and squeaks in the darkness. They all set down the stairs together... there was definitely something down here, since they could see torches ahead. Suddenly, Albus fell into a pit trap!

Wil: Really? Albus?

Albus: Well, it was really well hidden.

Wil: Yeah, but you said Albus could do cartwheels on a fence!

Albus: Well, a particularly clever goblin set this pit trap, and it was full of nasty, biting, scampering rats!

[Looks at Kat, as if expecting a reaction]

Kat: I don't mind rats.

Albus: Hmph. Well, these rats were everywhere. On Albus's arms, legs, inside his clothes... they even took one of his daggers! Albus thought he was a goner, but he heard Valborga shouting at him, telling him to get up, climb out...

Wil: Albus always does what Valborga says.

Albus: Well...

Kat: Does Albus kiss Valborga?

Wil: Ew, Albus is covered in rats. Why would he kiss Valborga?

Kat: I wanna know!

Albus: [Flustered] Uh, Albus thought he was a goner, but Valborga shouted at him, telling him to get up, and he clambered out of the pit. They could hear goblins all around them! Just then, Helana was like this... [Albus points his finger] zap! And Bruin was like this... [Albus thrusts both palms forward] foom! Two of the goblins fell! Thotham charged at the last one...

Wil: Go, Thotham!

Albus: Right into a barracks full of Goblins!

Wil: Thotham can take them all!

Albus: He did!

[Kat sighs]

Wil: So wait, what happened to the dagger that the rats took from Albus?

Albus: Well, Bruin went over to that pit, brimming with rats, and he just killed them, one by one with his fire magic.

Kat: One by one? Mean old dwarf!

Albus: Or nearsighted dwarf. Either way, Albus crawled right into that pile of dead rats and got his dagger back, covered in their blood. From that day forward, he called it 'Rat-Hewer'.

widdershins
09-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Yup, Thotham's chronologically confused account of the session BEFORE the one Pence just wrapped up should be up tomorrow (I've gotten behind, I know).

In the meantime, I did go ahead and upload some screenshots from the session Nich summarized above. Enjoy! (http://proudlymediocre.com/2011/09/paramount-consulting-mr-thothams-wild-ride/)

widdershins
09-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Done and done as promised. You can check it out on a fancy schmancy parchment backdrop here (http://proudlymediocre.com/2011/09/thothams-journal-the-kobolds-demise/).

Otherwise, here's the text:

Valborga insists I should keep a journal.

She says that it will "help me come to terms with recent traumatic events." I am not sure I understand what that means. I assume she is talking about my recent capture at the kobold camp. If so, her concern is misplaced, if well meaning. I do not fear death, and my captors did me no harm that I can not now brush aside with ease. Still, she is the boss. More to the point, she is the only person who's seen fit to keep me in her company in a long while, so I will do my best to oblige.

Where to start?

We were in good spirits when we returned to Winterhaven. We may have escaped the the kobolds' lair with our lives in tact, but the same can not be said for our pride. So, when we slew the contemptible cur Agrid, there was cause for cheer. Back at the inn, Valborga introduced me to a drink called "tea". She said it was a "foul brew", but I quite enjoyed it. It reminded me of the soil in the mountains of my youth.

We knew our good mood would be short lived, though -- Stahl was returned to his wife, but grim omens abounded. Cultists had taken root in the area and there were whispers of traitors in the town. Even so, we lacked any sort of lead as to where they might be found. For the present, we knew our path lay back in that wretched kobold den.

The group was not eager to return, save myself. I may have long since lost my honor, but I have not fallen so far that I will suffer indignities without seeking retribution. We made our way back to the all too familiar cave in silence. We penetrated from the south, and before long we came upon our foes. The battle commenced within an instant.

Once again Albus was the first to draw blood, and the first to have it drawn from him. This time, however, the rest of us were close at hand. I pushed through the throng to stop up the narrow corridor ahead of us, while out of the corner of my eye I could see the inferno Bruin had conjured to deal with the rabble that had slipped through. Valborga barked orders as one by one the diminutive dragonkin were slain. Through the melee I found myself in awe of how, by sheer numbers alone, foes of such small stature had been able to best us twice already. I had to admire the repugnant reptiles, if only for their persistence.

I was quickly roused from my musings. As we cut through the peons, Irontooth once again made his presence known. Valborga and I held the front line as best we could, but his stamina seemed endless. Finally, with a thunderous blow, I was able to send him staggering away from us. However, this is where things took a terrible turn. At the sight of his own blood, Irontooth flew into a fury unlike any I'd seen before. I'll not soon forget the crimson hue in his eyes as he lashed out at us, blind with rage. It's there that my memory starts to fade.

After what seemed like an eternity I awoke with a strange taste on my lips and shattered glass discarded around me. Albus was standing above me and from the look of things, Valborga was similarly dazed. We knew we could not withstand another attack like that, so we resolved to focus every inch of our effort towards taking Irontooth down. It was then that a stream of glowing eldritch energy whizzed past my head. Helana is a soft spoken sort and it is easy to lose sight of her in the chaos of battle. But when she makes her presence known, one can't help but take notice. With her final salvo, Irontooth fell to the ground. He would never trouble us again.

When the dust settled, we surveyed the area to see what treasures the kobald hoard had in store. We found a tidy sum of gold and copper, as well as a fine coat of Dwarven mail, which Valborga said she would put to good use. We also found a letter on the person (is that the right term in this case?) of one of the slain kobolds. It confirmed our suspicions that there was indeed a traitor in the town of Winterhaven, and that our dealings with death worshipers had only begun.

As we left, I took to removing Irontooth's head so that I could present it to the townspeople of Winterhaven as a trophy. However, the faces of my companions looked troubled and Valborga suggested I leave it behind lest it "unsettle the townsfolk". I should think they would be pleased to have a reminder that a once dreaded marauder had been slain, but I tend to defer to Valborga's wisdom in these cases. As she's often quick to remind me, I have a lot to learn about the frailer races.

As we made our way back to town, I had some time to reflect on the events of the preceding days. Twice now I had escaped a dire fate, and was even able to exact vengeance on those who would have done me in. Clearly the gods have been smiling on me, and I've put off returning that kindness for too long. Then and there I vowed to pledge myself to the temple of Moradin that I might continue to punish evil in his name. It seems I may have the chance sooner than expected.

I believe that's all I have to say on the matter. Valborga may have been right -- I found the experience quite enjoyable. Thanks are due to Albus for lending me his thesaurus. If I'm to do a thing, I may as well try and do it right.

pence
09-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Things I remember from last night:

Albus hits on a 3. He's also packing some alchemist's fire, now. B)

Apparently the minions of Orcus have at least one (dead) worshipper of Bahamut in their midst. He also had a holy symbol which won't do us much good unless someone multiclasses into Invoker or something - outside of Thotham's new Healing Word, we don't have anyone with the divine power source!

This is what dazing an ooze looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_%28wave_propagation%29

Don't stand next to the Kruthiks.

widdershins
09-12-2011, 01:55 PM
I kept trying to tell you guys last night -- that guy wasn't a Bahamut worshiper. He flat out told us that he just dug it up.

Is the grave robber that just snatched a vishnu statue necessarily a Hindu?

Nodal
09-13-2011, 11:58 PM
I kept trying to tell you guys last night -- that guy wasn't a Bahamut worshiper. He flat out told us that he just dug it up.

Is the grave robber that just snatched a vishnu statue necessarily a Hindu?

I think that's how vishnu gets his best followers.

Heron
09-18-2011, 04:01 PM
You find a piece of parchment

>pick up parchment

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee504/FinnHeron/Bruin_Doodle.png

pence
09-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Create Campsite
"You summon hundreds of diminutive nature spirits to assemble a campsite in a 5-square radius around you. The spirits clear the area, set up tents, unroll bedrolls, gather water, and prepare a nourishing meal. They also conceal the campsite, with your Nature check result serving as the DC for Perception checks to notice the hidden camp."

Bruin you old hedge-wizard, you neglected to mention you can make it invisible!

Heron
09-19-2011, 01:09 PM
A magician never reveals all his trick on the first show!

Mightyblue
10-10-2011, 04:17 AM
Hey pence, I hear tell you died!

pence
10-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Albus did, in fact, die. Since we have access to a Raise Dead ritual, he is probably coming back as a Rogue/Avenger. As much as I want to play a full-on Avenger, I think having 2 rounds of Oath of Enmity to play with is plenty - if I switched to Avenger, it would be a totally different character, running around with an anime-sized sword.

But if Nodal is okay with shifting some of Albus's attributes around to get 13 Wisdom, then I can take the existing Albus character sheet and retrain Bard Multiclass to Avenger Multiclass at level 4, and start stabbing backs for Avandra. Dying changes a man's priorities.

widdershins
10-10-2011, 08:49 AM
The best part? We killed the endboss well before Albus died. The problem was there was a portal to the abyss still making ineffectual attacks at us from the other side of the room, so we couldn't take 10 on heal checks.

pence
10-10-2011, 08:52 AM
With five failed attempts at making a DC15 heal check to stabilize, and three failed death saving throws, I'm willing to say that it was destined to be.

widdershins
10-10-2011, 09:25 AM
I think it bears saying one more time: Fuck-a kalarel.

pence
10-10-2011, 11:07 AM
OH! Oh! Since it was such a long session, I forgot the best part:

"I cannot possibly conceive of a reality in which there is not a gelatinous cube in this corridor."

"Don't be such a worrywort Albus."

Helana walks north one square. *SPLOOT*

"THE CUBE! I TOLD YOU! THE CUBE!"

Destil
10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
lmao at the cube. So you guys finished the main module, then?

widdershins
10-10-2011, 07:31 PM
lmao at the cube. So you guys finished the main module, then?

We did. The best part is that we missed noticing the cube with a 23 perception check (DC 25) and spent a good 4 or 5 rounds fighting zombies with the cube in the room with us. Nodal was having trouble keeping his composure as we kept just narrowly almost walking into one of the cube's squares.

kaisel
10-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Congrats on (mostly) surviving guys. Are you going to be continuing on to the next one in the H-P-E series or going for something else?

pence
10-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah, we're planning on moving on to H2 next. Nodal says H3 isn't very good, but the description makes it sound like the kind of OD&D insanity I'd enjoy. Probably a lot more fun to play than it is to GM, though - there's already a replacement planned for that one.

widdershins
02-07-2013, 06:06 PM
PARAMOUNT CONSULTING LIVES!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BCiwI86CMAAbq9r.png

pence
02-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Skyship: Dtloolp

widdershins
02-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Once again, Dtloolp will cause Pence to rise up when he was thought to be lost.

Also, I've decided to make my greeting "Fahka Kalarel". Gibberishy enough to avoid cuss filters, and to be indecipherable to unsuspecting chill'ins I streetpass with.