PDA

View Full Version : Call of Elder Mansions of Arkham

SilentSnake
08-14-2011, 12:51 PM
I figure these games are popular enough that we could have a thread for them all.

I actually got to play a couple of games of Mansions of Madness last night and it was a blast. I won the first game as the Keeper because the investigators were a tad distracted with a Zombie and a Mi-Go while the rest of my Zombies went to the altar for the win. I also kind of cut them off with some rooms on fire. Very nice.

My second game didn't go as well. I was confounding them with lots of dark rooms, but I seem to have some problems with creature-light games. There was only three total for me to use, and two were instantly vaporized by spells. They actually managed to kill the Hound in the end by coming together with all the weapons they got from going the wrong ways the whole time. Ah well.

I love this game so much that I'm going to get the expansion Season of the Witch. I hope it comes soon!

In other news, Elder Sign should be coming out soon! I'm pretty excited for this just because I love games in this setting, it's a dice game, and it's affordable! (Mansions is expensive.) Anyone else looking forward to this?

So yeah, talk about Call of Cthulhu stuff in here!

I still haven't played Arkham Horror...

BŁge
08-14-2011, 08:20 PM
As I understand it, Season of the Witch is print-on-demand. I'm not sure where to demand it, though!

Mazian
08-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I've only played one round of Mansions (featuring TV's Stiv as the Keeper), which went well except for a rules conundrum when I used my character ability to learn the victory condition early, everyone must escape with no more than two character deaths. House rules were that I couldn't flat out tell my fellow players what the condition was, because they couldn't start acting on it yet, so I had to ham-handedly hint at it instead. An awkward bit of play in an otherwise fairly polished game, which I hope was just an outlier. Looking forward to playing again at PAX if possible!

Extremely DRAMATIC! readings of the plot cards were mandatory, of course.

Mightyblue
08-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Does Demonbane count? Despite being a visual novel that's basically a pretty fantastic giant robo story set in a somewhat Cthuloid universe.

Stiv
08-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Looking forward to playing again at PAX if possible!

Yes, I will run a game of Mansions at PAX, due to popular demand (either at the show itself, or in a sleazy hotel room). Luana is a pretty good Keeper too!

Obviously I can't reveal the secrets of my trade, but I will say this: As keeper, you want the heroes to be cooperating as little as possible, and you should do absolutely everything you can to make sure that they argue, force bad decisions, or don't talk to each other.

Sarcasmorator
08-14-2011, 10:36 PM
You can either order Season of the Witch direct through fantasyflightgames.com, or through a retailer that carries it, like coolstuffinc.com.

I'm a big fan of these games, though I'm taking a break from buying Arkham Horror stuff for a while. I've had a great time playing MoM twice so far, and hope to do so again soon. Elder Signs has been pre-ordered as a birthday present to me, so I'll have more to say about it in a few weeks, but it looks like AH reimagined as a dice game.

Lucas
08-15-2011, 12:43 AM
Elder Signs... looks like AH reimagined as a dice game.

And it's co-op/solitaire? Well shit, looks like another one for the wishlist.

Though I dunno now that I've actually looked at the store page. Something seems off about the contents - 156 cards of different types, a gross of tokens and markers, and eight custom dice? The rules might convince me once I have a chance to read them, but at first glance that doesn't feel like the parts list of a dice game. It all comes down to how they're all used, I suppose.

Not that I want to seem like a dice game snob or anything.

Edit: I've given the rulebook a quick read (because who needs sleep anyway, am I right?) and I still don't see this as a dice game. If all you need for that is custom dice you can't use in other games, then Death Angel and Mystery Mansion are dice games too. When a company tells me they're putting out a dice game, I'm expecting piles of dice, scads of the things for each player - something like Quarriors or Dragon Dice. I see this as being more the same hybrid genre as Death Angel or Anima, which as far as I know doesn't have a name. We should name it. These games are basically board games with random cards used in place of a board, so the name should reflect that. Something like... card-board games! (Or somewhat more seriously: dynamic board (or playfield, or just field) games.)

That doesn't mean I don't want to play Elder Sign, it looks like a lot of fun. I don't know if I'd call $35 affordable (but I suppose my chronically unemployed self has a different definition of affordable from most people). And only a twelve page instruction booklet so it's dead simple for a Fantasy Flight game! I already have a question that I don't think the rules covered, however: if you're playing a monster with more than one requirement (I assume these exist, given the three requirement spaces on the marker on page 10) to a total or partial monster task, do you have to fulfill all the requirements on the monster or just the ones within the border of the monster task? I assume the former, since co-op/solitaire, FFG, and Cthulhu games all tend to be high lethality and Elder Sign is all three of those things, but I don't see it spelled out in the rulebook anywhere.

SilentSnake
08-15-2011, 09:56 AM
I don't know if I'd call $35 affordable (but I suppose my chronically unemployed self has a different definition of affordable from most people).

Compared to Mansions of Madness or Arkham Horror it is. ESPECIALLY Mansions.

Sarcasmorator
08-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Well, the way you progress through Elder Signs is entirely driven by the dice you roll and whether you can apply them to the cards you're trying to beat. Sounds like a dice game to me.

Compared to Mansions of Madness or Arkham Horror it is. ESPECIALLY Mansions.

You have this backward, I think! Arkham Horror has a lower initial outlay, to be sure, but it's a total monster when you factor in the expansions. Buy any one of them and you've already met or exceeded Mansions' price.

Sure, you can say you'll just buy the base game and not bother with expansions. Maybe you'll even stick to it for a while. But someday ...

SilentSnake
08-17-2011, 01:56 PM
You have this backward, I think! Arkham Horror has a lower initial outlay, to be sure, but it's a total monster when you factor in the expansions. Buy any one of them and you've already met or exceeded Mansions' price.

Sure, you can say you'll just buy the base game and not bother with expansions. Maybe you'll even stick to it for a while. But someday ...

This is assuming there won't be full expansions for MoM. You really think they're going to just stick to print-on-demand mini-expansions for this game? I don't.

Sarcasmorator
08-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Oh, I'm sure there will be! There just aren't any yet, and it'll take years for it to get to Arkham Horror's level of expansion madness.

BŁge
08-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Heh. Expansions of Madness.

sraymonds
08-25-2011, 04:49 AM
And Mansions of Madness is getting another print on demand expansion (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2586)

ChefCthulhu
08-25-2011, 08:34 AM
We played Mansions of Madness last weekend and it was rather interesting. The first game took 30 mins to get set up and the game ended on like turn 4 as someone opened the fridge and let out Ithaqua!

The second game was a bit more interesting as the players were down to the last two clues and where all set to make it all the way. However I had an friend amongst the players due to one of my Mythos cards which happened to be the Scientist character who got to look at the objective card using her power and see that we just had to have an investigator kill another investigator. He moves to one of the investigators I had picked on a bit and finished the job and we won!

I love being the keeper sometimes but nearly all the games I've played have had very little in monster use I think most I've had is 1 monster at a time in all my games and that was generally just for a couple turns.