PDA

View Full Version : The Best of Tyrant Radio

Lady
08-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Okay, so for the last few months, we IRCers have been enjoying this phenomenon known as Tyrant Radio (http://btmorris.lifeafterking.org:8080/). Graciously hosted by krelbel, the collaborate jukebox allows several people to upload songs to a queue, and then stream them, as well as providing album art and a small chatbox.

There are a few things that we have kinda established for ourselves that you may wish to consider before jumping in

a) don't delete other people's music. This is called "Pulling a Shawn" (you asshole!)
b) don't upload REALLY LONG (like 8 minutes or more) files unless everyone else is cool with it
c) it's okay to upload shitty stuff, but don't go overboard with it, or make sure that everyone is in a mood to listen to awful things xD (otherwise BEAT would never be allowed to upload anything ;))
c.1) if you think someone has uploaded something shitty but apparently they seem to like it, try not to give them shit over it! Just mute the current song and go on
d) The software assigns a random funny nickname to everyone, but we usually replace one of the words with our TT nickname so that we can tell who everyone is.
* The Debauchery Garden is now known as The Debauchery Lady
e) the site kinda bogs down if much more than an hour's worth of music is uploaded, besides, newcomers don't want to have to wait for 2 hours to listen to their song!
f) usually the most people are in there in the evenings, from about 6-8PM CDT to 1-2AM. If no-one's in there, you might try getting on IRC and suggesting that people join.

That being said, the real reason for this thread is so I can paste this textfile I've been building of some of the songs I've really liked. TR doesn't save a record of the songs that are played, so you have to do it yourself, but I can't be hassled to save every single song, so I just did the ones I liked xD

Joanna Newsome - Ys
Faun Fables - Family Album
Estradasphere - Palace of Mirrors
Unhappy Birthday - The Smiths -Strangeways Here We Come
Funeralopolis - Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Bon Jovi - It's My Life
Ballrog Boogie - Diablo Swing Orchestra - Butcher's Ballroom
Vodka Inferno - Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing-Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious
The Phoenix Alive (Original version) - Monarchy - The Phoenix Alive
First Aid Kit - Tiger Mountain Peasant Song Cover.mp3
Fleet Foxes
Mr. Jones - Counting Crows - August & Everything After
Wolf Parade - Expo86
Buck Fever - Estradasphere - Buck Fever
Stan Rogers - Northwest Passage
Cold War Kids - Loyalty to Loyalty - Welcome to the Occupation
Just The Two Of Us - Bill Withers - Lean On Me: The Best of Bill Withers
I Can't Decide - Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah
Abigail - Feel Good
Bongo Bong - Manu Chao - World Playground: A Musical Adventure For Kids
Brave New World - Covenant - Skyshaper
dead enough for life - Icon of Coil
Someone Like You - ADELE - 21
Sweet Dreams (Are Made of Vox) - George Hrab
Sweet Soul Sister - The Cult - Sonic Temple (Extended)

BEAT
08-24-2011, 01:12 PM
it's okay to upload shitty stuff, but don't go overboard with it, or make sure that everyone is in a mood to listen to awful things xD (otherwise BEAT would never be allowed to upload anything ;))My shitty music is the finest shitty music you'll ever hear!

Reinforcements
08-24-2011, 01:23 PM
I will get in on this, as I've been thinking lately how I need to expose myself to more music. And if I can also force other people to listen to They Might Be Giants forever and ever*, well, bonus!

*I understand it's one song at a time

upupdowndown
08-24-2011, 01:27 PM
List of TR songs Lady likes

Man, ravinoff is kicking my *ass* at giving you new songs you'd like. Must. work. HARDER.

Kirin
08-24-2011, 01:36 PM
And if I can also force other people to listen to They Might Be Giants forever and ever*...

Well, there goes my potential schtick.

Tefari
08-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Lady, I still can't get over you liking Electric Wizard.

ravinoff
08-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Tyrant radio is the best thing.

Man, ravinoff is kicking my *ass* at giving you new songs you'd like. Must. work. HARDER.

Hehehe.

Little Sampson
09-14-2011, 12:03 AM
I haven't been able to connect to TR for a while. Did it die while I wasn't looking or is this a problem on my end?

I miss you guys(' music)

Mightyblue
09-14-2011, 01:33 AM
I just uploaded something and it worked, so...I dunno? The queve was empty when I tried it though.

Little Sampson
09-14-2011, 02:00 AM
I mean I click on the link/enter the url and the page just won't load. I've tried on several browsers and several networks. But now I know it's just me, then.

Wolfgang
09-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Lady has liked everything I put up, so I guess I just have fantastic taste and win TR forever!

Also, the only reason I deleted those songs was because I thought SOMEONE was deleting mine first.

upupdowndown
09-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Lady has liked everything I put up, so I guess I just have fantastic taste and win TR forever!

Also, the only reason I deleted those songs was because I thought SOMEONE was deleting mine first.

a lot of my stuff doesn't load onto TR, including stuff I bought through iTunes. :itisamystery:

shivam
09-14-2011, 10:03 AM
i took tyrant radio over a few times for Radio Free Shivam, and i played a block of italian cop drama soundtracks from the 70s and another block of pakistani fusion music.

Olli T
09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
i took tyrant radio over a few times for Radio Free Shivam, and i played a block of italian cop drama soundtracks from the 70s and another block of pakistani fusion music.

Can you hook a brother up with some of that stuff???

CaptBlasto
01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Does anyone still use this? I hopped on a few times in the past week and was met with silence. I'd love to get some more exposure to other music.

Excitemike
01-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Whoa, this sounds/sounded fun! I'll give it a spin after I put the squirt to bed.

Umby
01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
I use it all the time with my friends. I'll try to be on later if I am online.

EDIT: Also, Lady, it's Joanna Newsom. :P

TK Flash
01-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Usually the best way to get some TR started is to hop onto #Talkingtime and say HEY GUYS LET'S TR.

Refa
01-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Quick, someone upload Secret Of Mana +.

TK Flash
01-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Also, despite the tendency for certain uploaders to stick to their genre (like me, I only have rock), TR isn't genre-specific. Upload everything!

TK Flash
01-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Hey insomniacs, TR is happening right now.

BEAT
01-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Damn that was some TR happening!

TK I hope the song I submitted as goofy spacerap was goofy spacerap enough. My knowledge of JMT is nowhere near as complete and encyclopedic as my knowledge of Rancid or BTMI! so I was working from vague memories.

Behemoth
01-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Damn that was some TR happening!

That was pretty epic. As all of my selections came on after I'd already gone to bed, I'd be curious to know what people thought.

upupdowndown
01-19-2012, 04:16 AM
Awesomest song I heard last night thanks to Epithet on TR:

"Mumtaz Khan" by Ratatat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWAKkbu0sQ)

BEAT
02-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Last night Gahitsu TKflash and I TR'd for HOURS.

And it was rad as hell.

TK Flash
03-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Truly the best of Tyrant Radio is whatever Behemoth uploads.

Tyrant Radio happening right now guys.

teg
03-09-2012, 04:54 AM
The best Tyrant Radio is when somebody uploads a Geinoh Yamashirogumi song.

BEAT
03-09-2012, 04:58 AM
The best tyrant radio is when everybody's having a great time and then I ruin it with the pimping 10 commandments.

Dizzy
03-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Tyrant Radio happening right now guys.

Is this necessary?

BEAT
03-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Yes.

Completely.

BEAT
05-31-2012, 01:46 PM
I cannot allow myself to forget the following:

Fear And Loathing In Mahwah, NJ
Titus Andronicus
The Airing Of Grievances

I just can't.

BEAT
06-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Sad Bomber

Asylum Street Spankers

Hot Lunch

Pheeel
06-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks to Tyrant Radio I have discovered KOMPRESSOR. (http://archive.org/details/iuma-kompressormusic) I feel like this has filled a void in my life I didn't know was there.

Smiler
06-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Sad Bomber

Asylum Street Spankers

Hot Lunch

I am glad you liked that. Or didn't. Either or.

mrpretzel
06-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Gonjasufi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOTz65FLoJ4)

The FFXII-2 soundtrack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdframgnBVE)

Lake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj1hTL8LNnc)

Faun Fables (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTvAfb-lP8Y)

Saul Williams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHatA0OgMD0)