PDA

View Full Version : HALOSTRAVAGANZA Pt. 3: Multiplayer

Parish
09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
For those who prefer killing one another to silly story things, you can discuss your awesome multiplayer experiences here. Feel free to use the Hardcore Awesome (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/forumdisplay.php?f=14) board to set up matches! Yes, this forum makes its own gravy.

Anonymooo
09-11-2007, 12:59 AM
In the days before many of us had iPods, we would make mix CDs to play 16-player LAN matches to. While it almost always consisted of our youngest (and best) player insisting that we put Breaking Benjamin's "Blow me Away" on almost every single CD, every now and then I'd just hit "random" and select the first 20 songs on the list and burn.

At one point while playing a very vicious Slayer game on Ascension (the one with the giant pyramidal spinny machine in the middle), the Phantom's Overture (from Phantom of the Opera) suddenly comes on RIGHT as a friend is taking one of those jump-portals, sending him flying in slow-motion front and center, to the top of the level as the music comes up.

We all take a minute to laugh at his excellent timing, and then the Breaking Benjamin-loving kid, Brian, kills it all by blowing his head off with a sniper round.

Traumadore
09-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Once it was me and a buddy against 6 of our friends in Chiron, the claustrophobic teleporter level. We got our 50 kills in no time, the other team:9. It was fun because we always have to be on separate teams otherwise, and it was hilarious to watch us ambush and corner the enemy 2 or 3 at a time. Admittedly it was the perfect level for it, and the friendly fire ravaged the other team almost as much as we did.

Anonymooo
09-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Chiron is a hilarious level for playing with infinite grenades, because you'll be walking into all sorts of unintentional deathtraps.

Stiv
09-12-2007, 10:53 PM
The worst way to become friends with your fellow graduate students is a game of INVISIBLE ROCKETS in Halo. I also played Jeep Jeep once and I just do not get the appeal of that kind of thing. I guess this makes me a bad person since everyone else in the galaxy loves Jeep Jeep.

I'd be willing to give Halo 2's multiplayer a shot sometime, but why should I bother when I'll be able to create a fake 5-D level in Forge soon?

Parish
09-12-2007, 11:29 PM
What is a jeep-jeep.

Traumadore
09-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Is that like jousting with Warthogs?

Stiv
09-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Man, I thought everyone knew about Jeep Jeep!

Jeep Jeep is a pretty simple concept: Players each have their own indestructible Warthog and the only way to score points is by running other players over, and aren't allowed to use weapons for purposes other than flipping their own warthog or getting it unstuck from the level geometry. Naturally, this means you can only play it with the original Halo's lack of vehicle damage, so it makes a great party game. The scoring system is enforced by player honor, and I get the sneaking suspicion that the Jeep Jeep phenomenon is partially responsible for Forge.

It's also an incredibly amusing game to watch. Once I saw somebody get their Warthog stuck in the branches of a tree, being repeatedly run over while they tried to dislodge it with a rocket launcher. It didn't work.

reibeatall
09-13-2007, 12:43 PM
We called it "Demolition Derby", but it was basically the same thing.