PDA

View Full Version : Let's Make an Interactive Storybook!

Wolfgang
09-01-2011, 05:11 PM
EDIT: I decided to make this a general sketch thread for whatever!!!

Falselogic
09-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Is only post here so he is autosubscribe to the thread and follow it. He has no talents that you would need, besides being able to write.

But anyone can do that.

Good luck!

Wolfgang
09-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Even if you can't do technical stuff but know people who can, pointing people in the direction of other people is helpful too.

I've been doing some preliminary research - I found this link (http://moneymachinefactory.org/blog/create-an-ipad-childrens-book-app-in-5-minutes/), which shows a way I could potentially do this myself, but it doesn't look like the results are nearly as interactive as I'd like them to be. Ideally a first book could be shown off some iOS-centric sites, like Cult of Mac and iLounge, as they have big readerships and showcase apps for kids.

eternaljwh
09-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Oh hey, I remember these things (Magic Schoolbus and those ones by Mercer Mayer [the Little Critter series]). How many of those are you familiar with?

Hunt-for-hidden features mode was the best.

I don't really feel I can contribute at this time, though.

fugu13
09-02-2011, 09:41 PM
I like the idea, have a good bit of technical knowledge, and have some technical knowledge about iOS. Count me in as interested.

Wolfgang
09-03-2011, 08:05 PM
HMMMMMMMMM

What kinds of skills do you have in particular? We're away for the weekend but I want to start talking to people in earnest after Labor Day.

fugu13
09-04-2011, 01:51 PM
My general software design/programming/etc capabilities are very good. Most of my recent programming has been in Java and Python. I've programmed in Objective-C, thought not for a while, and have at least the basics of many mainstream (and quite a few more minor) computer languages. I've only made toy mobile apps (and never deployed one to a phone), but I've kept generally abreast of the capabilities of APIs and some of the cross platform frameworks. I'm used to working with relatively static graphics and with graphic designers as I worked in information visualization for several years.

fugu13
09-04-2011, 04:31 PM
One tech we might want to look at for making this (these?) is phonegap, which lets you build cross platform native mobile apps using html5+css+javascript. Part of the reason I think it is worth looking into is https://build.phonegap.com/ , which I've got a beta code for (I think they're sending them to everyone who submits their email at the moment).

Returning to the "these?" question above, are you mostly thinking a one time storybook, or are you considering turning out multiple? I think there's still a lot of play left in the iPad storybook space especially, so I think this is a great idea.

Wolfgang
09-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Returning to the "these?" question above, are you mostly thinking a one time storybook, or are you considering turning out multiple?

Quick response: I want to start off with one, to gauge the risk/reward of the whole process. I have ideas for a few one-offs as well as a potential series, so if the first one does well at all, I'll be looking to start more very shortly after.

fugu13
09-04-2011, 11:21 PM
I think there's going to be some overlap in marketing technique with ebooks -- in particular, if one interactive storybook (this needs a new, shorter name) is even moderately successful, it'll have a lot of knock on effects with others created by the same company. One thing I've seen strongly suggested is adding sample/preview content from other books (obviously not possible until there are others in production, but that could easily be added with an app update).

There are all sorts of interesting directions I can imagine taking interactive storybooks. A lot of them involve game-like elements.

Wolfgang
09-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Okay, I'm HOME home, so let me try and dig back into this:

interactive storybook (this needs a new, shorter name)

Let's just use "book" for the purposes of this discussion. I'm sure that once I start making them in earnest I'll just be calling them books anyway.

One thing I've seen strongly suggested is adding sample/preview content from other books

I saw an article (and failed to bookmark because I wasn't thinking, a-doy) that mentioned having iterative books works to promote in the same way any other app promotes with iteration - so adding a preview, new games, extra content, etc. is actually a good thing. Free to previous buyers, and works to draw new customers in.

One tech we might want to look at for making this (these?) is phonegap, which lets you build cross platform native mobile apps using html5+css+javascript.

I don't think this is a bad idea for the future, but for right now at the start I'm most interested in looking at iPad-specific software. It's been said that there isn't a tablet market as much as there is an iPad one. Time and energy that would go towards making cross-platform versions that likely wouldn't generate sales to recoup it would be better spent going with the proven product, at least to start.

At any rate, if this is A) a successful endeavor and B) a new tablet/ app store becomes viable, a bigger staff with more resources could easily go back and adapt books. But frankly I don't see it being worth the effort anytime soon.

So, I'm talking to the friend of mine who contributes for iStoryTime (http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/09/istorytime-closes-2m-series-a-to-make-more-mobile-childrens-books/), and she let me know that there's a possibility of promotion. The company has, at one point, thought about a deal where a developer could pay a one-time $1,500 fee to have a book published on the App Store, and the developer keeps the copyrights and profits. I asked her to find out more about that - if it could come with any kind of promotion package or other perks, it might be worth it. BUT, on the other hand, if they're just dumping it on the App Store, the generic $99/yr iOS dev license lets you do that anyway. It's worth finding out more about it, anyway, and if it smells scammy or not.

There are all sorts of interesting directions I can imagine taking interactive storybooks. A lot of them involve game-like elements.

Absolutely. This is one of the most appealing things to me about this: having find-the-picture hunts, narration, branching paths, etc. - I want to incorporate a lot of things that take advantage of iPad capabilities. Some of the things I've been thinking about are pages that let kids draw a picture with their finger, and then reuse that image later in the book, or fingerpaint-like coloring pages - really cool bells and whistles.

Did you have any game-like ideas of your own?

fugu13
09-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I saw an article (and failed to bookmark because I wasn't thinking, a-doy) that mentioned having iterative books works to promote in the same way any other app promotes with iteration - so adding a preview, new games, extra content, etc. is actually a good thing. Free to previous buyers, and works to draw new customers in.

Definitely. I'm seeing suggestions to include even 20% plus of another book.

I don't think this is a bad idea for the future, but for right now at the start I'm most interested in looking at iPad-specific software. It's been said that there isn't a tablet market as much as there is an iPad one. Time and energy that would go towards making cross-platform versions that likely wouldn't generate sales to recoup it would be better spent going with the proven product, at least to start.

I'm not actually interested in the cross platform part that much; I think html5+css+javascript is probably an easier development setup to target for a storybook-like thing, especially since the iPad supports extremely modern css (notably, animations).

I haven't seen any iStorytime apps, but I can't imagine for such a small fee the results are anything other than simplistic. I don't mean scammy, just formulaic. For existing popular books and people who don't have access to technical resources I'm sure it isn't too bad, but it isn't going to be the platform from which to carve out a new niche, especially if we want to push the meaning of book out a ways.

Absolutely. This is one of the most appealing things to me about this: having find-the-picture hunts, narration, branching paths, etc. - I want to incorporate a lot of things that take advantage of iPad capabilities. Some of the things I've been thinking about are pages that let kids draw a picture with their finger, and then reuse that image later in the book, or fingerpaint-like coloring pages - really cool bells and whistles.

I like those. I'd also like to take advantage of the internet (but in a way that isn't harmed at all by lack of internet) by providing some sense of how other people are experiencing the book. Of course, I'm not sure what that'd mean, yet. I can also imagine color-by-numbers (only with, y'know, fingers), "power ups" (like new colors to paint with), all sorts of things.

For instance, imagine a learn the common words book structured mostly around animals and colors, with a home page of your house, with a few trees, some mountains in the distance, you get the idea. Initially you have, like, two or three colors you can color everything. As you explore different places (basically everything on the screen is an entrance to a typical but fun "this is an owl, the owl hoots" narrative with an owl that actually hoots) you gain access to new colors ("this geode was purple! you can now paint with purple!") and can keep changing how you've colored your home screen. Then, since the user content is constrained to be non offensive (well, except aesthetically), you could provide an ability to "walk around" and see other people's home screens with how they've painted them. Oh, and every now and then creatures you've discovered meander across your screen. Heck, then there'd be expansion packs that added new languages . . .

So yeah, I think there's a huge amount of space still to be developed and improved.

Balrog
09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I wish I could help out on this but I have neither a Mac nor an iPad :(

One thing that I think would be cool in addition to all the interactive stuff would be the ability for a kid to touch or swipe along a sentence and have it read that word/sentence out loud. There are books out now that do that but they require special pens or whatever but that seems like something that would be easy to code up and would be worthwhile from a learning perspective for young kids.

Wolfgang
09-06-2011, 02:50 PM
One thing that I think would be cool in addition to all the interactive stuff would be the ability for a kid to touch or swipe along a sentence and have it read that word/sentence out loud. There are books out now that do that but they require special pens or whatever but that seems like something that would be easy to code up and would be worthwhile from a learning perspective for young kids.

That's a fantastic idea, and now I wonder how difficult it would be to implement.

So are the other suggestions, Fugu - I can see a book built around that whole idea, of showing off your work with other kids using the same book. Getting it to work as part of a narrative would be a very interesting challenge.

fugu13
09-06-2011, 03:05 PM
That would not be hard to implement, especially if we boiled it down to "play the sentence that was touched".

Stiv
09-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Or you could, like... use the existing infrastructure to publish a book on iBooks.

fugu13
09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Does iBooks support the levels of interactivity we're talking about?

Wolfgang
09-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Does iBooks support the levels of interactivity we're talking about?

Nope. It's an e-reader app.

fugu13
09-07-2011, 11:04 AM
I know they'd been talking about rolling out interactive books in iBooks, but I wasn't certain how far, if at all, that had gone. Stiv's a lot more up on iOS development than I am, so I wasn't sure if there was something new.

Stiv
09-07-2011, 08:15 PM
There are iBooks changes coming in iOS 5. Traditionally Apple's "fall" means "sometime in September" but I haven't seen a GM release yet, so maybe wait for October.

Wolfgang
09-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Is there a real benefit to making an ebook as opposed to a standalone app? It seems like storybook apps would be able to be promoted more easily on tech/Mac/iOS sites than an ebook. Also, it seems like trying to code for an app rather than an actual ebook would be a different thing entirely, that not as many people would be equipped to deal with right away.

fugu13
09-08-2011, 01:11 PM
I can't find anything about what the interactivity changes are going to be like that they're (hopefully) rolling out, so my guess would be that interactive books are basically going to be apps (likely with some restrictions) sold through iBooks instead of the general app store. Selling through there is preferable, I think, but without knowing more about how interactivity is going to happen in iBooks, I think it makes sense to just start with developing an app (since that's the only place we can get the desired functionality right now) and reevaluate when we have more information.

fugu13
09-08-2011, 01:13 PM
tech/Mac/iOS sites

That's not the target market, though ;) . The target market is all those parents who have just heard about the great new interactive books available on iBooks with the new update, and go to check that section out.

But as I said, I don't think there's any harm with starting with app development and reevaluating based on new information when the update happens.

reibeatall
09-08-2011, 02:15 PM
So, I'm sure this isn't what you're talking about, but there are some pretty decent choose your own adventure books with RPG elements in them for the iPhone.
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?page_id=203

Just to get some ideas I guess.

fugu13
09-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I like what Tin Man games has done to bring the choose your own adventure style to the iPad. I feel some of the elements (pointlessly complex and restrictive character creation in particular, and excessive dice rolling for combat) are offputting to the general audience (and even to some of the target audience reviewers, based on what I read), but they've done a really good job. Even though the stories for kids will probably go a somewhat different direction overall, I can tell from the videos that we should study the techniques they've used to make the experience immersive, accessible, and fluid. Anything put out needs to be polished.

So, what's the next step?

Falselogic
09-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Is this what you are looking to do? (http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/09/me-books-a-new-approach-to-digital-picture-books/)

fugu13
09-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Mmm, some of the stuff they do is related to some of the stuff we've been talking about, but they're sticking with a very linear story model, focused almost entirely on making a nice interface to store readings of otherwise-typical stories.

There are a lot of people experimenting with storybooks on the iPad, including all sorts of interactivity. There's a lot still left to do in the space.

Stiv
09-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Guys my comment wasn't meant to be some coy "iBooks is getting what you need, wink wink!" thing, but rather a serious "I honestly don't know what changes they're making, but there will be some, you should wait and see if they're what you need."

But no you really should go ahead and do this. Just be mindful of the advice that is currently being, shall we say, dispensed in certain other threads about managing/funding/etc. development projects. Interactive books are pretty simple (I DONE CLICKED A COW AND WHAT IT GONE IS MOO) but can still be prone to slippage and other development pitfalls.

Wolfgang
09-14-2011, 12:23 PM
But no you really should go ahead and do this. Just be mindful of the advice that is currently being, shall we say, dispensed in certain other threads about managing/funding/etc. development projects. Interactive books are pretty simple (I DONE CLICKED A COW AND WHAT IT GONE IS MOO) but can still be prone to slippage and other development pitfalls.

Point taken.

Current Status: I'm talking to some more developers who would like to see some art and a very detailed storyboard of what I want this whole thing to do. What I'm planning on doing is setting up a fairly basic first offering that still has some fun stuff bells/whistles-wise (ie. cows going mooooooo), and go forward based on the experience from that.

TL;DR (though if you're not reading why are you here): right now I am working on a storyboard. Scans, Y/N?

Traumadore
09-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, you should post some scans!

fugu13
09-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Stiv:

No worries, didn't take it that way :) . I'm excited to hear about new iBooks stuff, but since this is just an experimental project anyways, I'm all for pushing ahead and then seeing what makes sense when the new iBooks details are available.

Wolfgang:

Scans are good, as is general sort of brainstorm-y ideas, as I'd like to toss more out there, but ones related to the direction you're going (since this project is your baby).

How're you hoping to structure this, btw?

fugu13
09-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Any word on this? I'm really interested in the notion.

Wolfgang
10-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Oh hey, so I didn't forget about this, I've actually been busy writing and talking to people about it. But here are some character design sketches:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/artwork/Scan12.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/artwork/Scan7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/artwork/Scan11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/artwork/Scan4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/artwork/Scan5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/artwork/Scan8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/artwork/Scan9.jpg

Karzac
10-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Wolfie, you draw nice.

Soren Highwind
10-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Wolfie, you draw nice.

Indeed! I especially enjoy the facial expressions.

upupdowndown
10-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Indeed! I especially enjoy the facial expressions.

They're charming! I am thoroughly CHARMED.

fugu13
10-25-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm even more interested in this after seeing those sketches. I'd love to hear and discuss more about your plans. If you're up for sharing, would you prefer to do it in thread or on some other channel (wiki, chat room, CMS website)?

Torzelbaum
10-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Uh, have you ran "Oswalt the Grump" by your lawyer? Because I think some people might have words with you if you ever created a product that included him.

Wolfgang
11-30-2011, 10:52 AM
New Character Designs! I got a LOT of people saying there was a strong CatDog vibe, which I really wanted to avoid. So I made some tweaks and I like the results a lot more:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/1NewMustardColor.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/2NewWeenieDogColor.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/3Mustard1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/4Mustard2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/5WeenieDog1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/6WeenieDog2.jpg

Adam
11-30-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm worried for the survival prospects of hydrocephalic kitty.

Wolfgang
11-30-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm worried for the survival prospects of hydrocephalic kitty.

Charlie Brown's doing okay.

So! I probably won't be able to post much more about this here, because I had a WILDLY successful meeting with an app developer today, and we'll be doing the whole NDA thing. Please to have enjoyed it while it lasted, and please also look forward to downloading something for your iPad in several months!

Wolfgang
01-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Oh MAAAAANNN

I just got off Skype with the developer who showed me some cool animation tricks he's been putting into the book. This is actually HAPPENING! And it's SO COOL XD I wish I could post videos and stills and junk!!!

Wolfgang
02-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I decided to try out sketching on my iPad, both because it's another reason to justify having one, and also because I'd heard using one for that purpose is a pretty good one. Also, saves on paper, etc. so I got a stylus and a sketch app to try it out:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/50b6fee1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/b35852f5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/b7f981ce.jpg

It seems like it's best suited for doing things quickly, when you don't want to forget what's on your mind. Inking sucks - since iPads can't track pressure, just speed, it's like inking with Sharpies rather than brushes. But for not having to bring a sketchbook with me on trips or anything, this will be pretty useful! It also showed me how badly I need a Cintiq for more finished stuff as soon as I can possibly afford one - drawing right on the screen is TOPS

Traumadore
02-04-2012, 09:18 AM
I recently got an Asus Eee Slate just for that purpose. I got an open-box one at amazon for less than the 12" cintiq. It has the same size screen, uses the same wacom tech, and is a pretty capable PC. Horrible battery life but i aways work at home anyway. Just another option!

Lady
02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
name the dog Hot Doug

Wolfgang
02-08-2012, 08:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/weeniecart.jpg

Soren Highwind
02-08-2012, 08:58 PM
weeniecart

I'll admit that made me giggle. =)

Wolfgang
02-15-2012, 12:34 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/bugs.jpg

Nodal
02-15-2012, 04:17 AM
Not that the color is bad (it isn't!) but that black and white looks really awesome.

upupdowndown
02-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Not that the color is bad (it isn't!) but that black and white looks really awesome.

Absolutely - the color is fun but the black and white looks like an updated version of a character design from one of the old black and white cartoons from the thirties.

DemoWeasel
02-15-2012, 09:09 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/bugs.jpg

"Hmmm! Haha! I'll get the both of you! Haha! Hmmmmblblblblblbl! Hmm!"

It's grand.

Wolfgang
02-15-2012, 11:23 AM
You guys get it. My one regret is that, since these are going in a kid's book, I can't have Bugsy there clenching a see-gar.

(his name is Bugs Bug)

upupdowndown
02-15-2012, 12:24 PM
You guys get it. My one regret is that, since these are going in a kid's book, I can't have Bugsy there clenching a see-gar.

(his name is Bugs Bug)

Have him clenching a carrot that he chews like a cigar. Or, like, a parsnip.

tungwene
02-15-2012, 10:53 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/bugs.jpgWhat do you use to color? I really like the texture of the coloring.

Wolfgang
02-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks. It's Photoshop CS 5 with the stock Dry Media brushes. I pretty much stick to the Pastel on Charcoal Paper brush with varying sizes and levels of opacity. I can get a really nice range of textures while maintaining an overall consistent style:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/Pg2textfreePreview.jpg

Wolfgang
02-29-2012, 01:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/faces.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/Pg6Preview.jpg

upupdowndown
02-29-2012, 01:07 PM
oh man oh man. that is great and hopefully won't get you hit by an intellectual property suit

Wolfgang
02-29-2012, 01:16 PM
oh man oh man. that is great and hopefully won't get you hit by an intellectual property suit

I'm not that worried. The character is a pretty obvious parody, which means it's protected by some very straightforward copyright laws. Second, Sesame Workshop isn't litigious about parody, since they traffic in it pretty heavily themselves. Avenue Q wouldn't exist if they were.

Wolfgang
03-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Annie May Shun

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/eyeanimation.jpg

Wolfgang
03-07-2012, 01:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/Pg12Preview.jpg

upupdowndown
03-07-2012, 01:35 PM
I crave context here.

Wolfgang
03-07-2012, 01:47 PM
They're having an argument!

DemoWeasel
03-07-2012, 09:53 PM
The little sad faces in the background make me smile.

Wolfgang
04-06-2012, 01:02 PM
LOGOOOO

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/logo2.jpg

DemoWeasel
04-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Is cool, man!

Wolfgang
04-06-2012, 03:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/page011layer02copy.jpg

upupdowndown
04-09-2012, 03:49 AM
ZOUNDS

ETA: my first encounter with the tiny letter mafia. D:

Wolfgang
04-11-2012, 08:34 PM
We have such a cute little placeholder website! (http://flavors.me/doubledogdaremedia)

reibeatall
04-11-2012, 11:23 PM
We have such a cute little placeholder website! (http://flavors.me/doubledogdaremedia)

First off, wow, I did not know this was something that was actually happening. Congrats!
Second, can you say if it's going to be on Android or just iOS?

Wolfgang
04-12-2012, 08:08 AM
First off, wow, I did not know this was something that was actually happening. Congrats!
Second, can you say if it's going to be on Android or just iOS?

Thanks!

Right now just iOS, because that's both what our developer works with and is also where the most money is. Spending time developing for Android just seems like a waste right now, but maybe later down the road if an Android product line gains any traction and we have more resources.

Falselogic
04-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks!

Right now just iOS, because that's both what our developer works with and is also where the most money is. Spending time developing for Android just seems like a waste right now, but maybe later down the road if an Android product line gains any traction and we have more resources.

I don't know if it makes sens to do it for Android. It might make sense to do it for the Kindle Fire though?

upupdowndown
04-12-2012, 09:35 AM
I demand a cute name for your lil' logo doggy

Adam
04-12-2012, 10:00 AM
how does it poop

Wolfgang
04-12-2012, 10:07 AM
A) Either Double Doug or Double Dog Darren

B) logos don't have to poop

Kindle Fire is something we've been talking about, but again it'd have to be a wait-and-see thing - we still have a ways to go to get this first book out the door. We're having a big enough heart attack trying to figure out what to do with the Retina display (the first half of the book's art was created specifically to the older iPad's specs, and since it's not vector-based it would be impossible to scale up, I'd have to redo all the artwork).

E: vroom

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/72e105f9.jpg

reibeatall
04-12-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't know if it makes sens to do it for Android. It might make sense to do it for the Kindle Fire though?

Kindle Fire is android.

Anyway, I was just curious, and I don't really blame you for not doing Android if your developer already works with iOS and doesn't have any sort of Android hosts or anything.

(It's hard for me to not be biased in this since I work at a place that makes cross platform development easy!) /shilllllllll

Whenever it comes out I'll be sure to get it on our work phones here.

Wolfgang
04-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Word. We're also looking for inexpensive marketing methods - we're sending our free copies to app websites for review, for instance. Do you have any tips in that regard?

First off, wow, I did not know this was something that was actually happening.

Also, I mentioned this in another thread but: it's kind of weird to think about how much this actually is happening. The paperwork went through so that we're a functioning LLC, and our application for an iOS developer license is going through right now. Barring any unforeseen disaster, we will have a thing on the App Store in a few months. Weird.

Balrog
04-12-2012, 06:08 PM
If it's good, I'll port it to the Xbox. :cool:

Wolfgang
05-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Some other pages:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/page015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/b12451c1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/Pg17finished.jpg

Sarcasmorator
05-14-2012, 01:12 PM
I just caught up with this. Looks great! If I ever get an iPad/Pod that can display it I would probably buy it for my kid to read.

fugu13
05-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Re: the marketing methods question from a while back, I'd also send copies to websites/blogs of people who talk about children's education and such. Another avenue that might bear some fruit is buying some youtube ads and targeting children's videos. Somewhat off the wall, but possibly very fruitful due to high targeting, is seeing if there're LinkedIn groups that would make sense. I think I see one labeled "Children's IT Research Initiative" as an example.

Oh, and send out a standard press release PRNewsWire.

Karzac
05-14-2012, 02:17 PM
I love how apprehensive the sun looks in the second image.

Balrog
05-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Surely there's some mom bloggers that review this kind of stuff.

Wolfgang
05-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Surely there's some mom bloggers that review this kind of stuff.

Yep, we're making an extensive list of sites and blogs that review kid's activity apps. Nobody (friends, relatives) is going to be getting a free copy as we'll be sending every one we're allowed to those sites. Which isn't a huge deal, because it's going to cost a dollar the first week it's out. If you have an iPad you have a buck to spend.

upupdowndown
05-14-2012, 07:10 PM

And the sportscoat on Wienie Dog! And the way WD drives his scooter. God, so cute.

Torzelbaum
05-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Some other pages:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/page015.jpgUgh... That pun...

upupdowndown
05-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Ugh... That pun... is going to crack little kids up

Kirin
05-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Do little kids actually know what Bridge (as a card game) is?

Regardless, I'm in favor of sticking in things that will make any adults reading along groan.

Wolfgang
05-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Regardless, I'm in favor of sticking in things that will make any adults reading along groan.

This is a man who knows the score.

Wolfgang
05-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Lord please save us from the wicked mound of dirt you have beset upon us, please lord, we are a simple folk and do not ask much

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6031/pg19preview.png

MagFlare
05-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Lord please save us from the wicked mound of dirt you have beset upon us, please lord, we are a simple folk and do not ask much

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6031/pg19preview.png

These are all completely magnificent.

upupdowndown
05-30-2012, 12:22 PM
These are all completely magnificent.

I'm going to pretend that the mound of dirt is actually blood pudding.

Traumadore
06-04-2012, 08:56 AM
So the mound of dirt that looks like the cat's own head totally reminded me of this one animated short I can't find where this japanese shut-in accidentally grows a cherry tree on his own head, but it gets uprooted and the hole fills with water and he goes crazy and falls into the pool on a giant version of his own head.

On a lighter note, I'm so happy your thing is happening. It's exciting to see and must be extra exciting to do!

Wolfgang
06-04-2012, 10:28 PM
SUPER EXCITING!

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7522/pg020pt03.jpg

upupdowndown
06-06-2012, 05:36 AM
is poor Mustard ever happy?

Wolfgang
06-06-2012, 03:26 PM
is poor Mustard ever happy?

What? Yes, yes, o-of course... aheh...

http://i.imgur.com/9EwkG.jpg

That Old Chestnut
06-07-2012, 04:25 AM
Oh man, Wolfgang, I seriously can't believe I overlooked this thread.

LOOK I'M JUST GOING TO FLAT OUT ADMIT THAT I'M A DUMBASS WHO SAW THE WORD "STORYBOOK" IN THE THREAD TITLE AND SOMEHOW CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT PICTURES WOULD NOT BE INVOLVED IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, FORM, OR FASHION.

(I can't even begin to explain that. I really can't.)

But yeah, this is seriously some good shit!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/multimoog/b12451c1.jpg

I think this is my favorite pic out of all of them. Everything about it is just awesome. That sun totally has a look that says "Dude, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into." I am guessing that our gracious host here isn't as nice at he's letting on, and the sun KNOWS IT, MAN. I also love how the tag's sticking out of the back of Weenie Dog's little sportscoat. HE IS STILL LEARNING ABOUT HOW TO DRESS SHARP, AND THAT'S ADORABLE.

Also, is the brown guy a homage to Squidward?
The face (and I'm going to guess his actual sour disposition) definitely reminds me of Squidward.
(Even if it wasn't intentional, you can tell me it was, and I would totally believe you.)

EDIT:
Oh okay, so this is Oswalt the Grump.
SO IT LOOKS LIKE GUESSWORK WASN'T REALLY NECESSARY ON MY PART.
(You are seriously good at this stuff.)

upupdowndown
06-07-2012, 05:37 AM
(You are seriously good at this stuff.)

He is a professional.

That Old Chestnut
06-07-2012, 12:33 PM
THIS DOES NOT SURPRISE ME.

I could easily see this stuff in some kind of awesome Nicktoon, or Cartoon Network exclusive.

Wolfgang
06-07-2012, 04:21 PM
the twist is that Oswalt the Grump is so nice that he's really boring.

Wolfgang
07-07-2012, 09:30 PM
This is how I'm starting to feel about this project:

http://i.imgur.com/dgY5v.jpg

Falselogic
07-07-2012, 09:38 PM
That can't be good...

Power through Wolfgang!

Wolfgang
07-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Page 25 of 29!!!

Wolfgang
07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
E: naaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

That Old Chestnut
07-09-2012, 08:05 PM
E: naaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

AWWWW! I wanna see!

EDIT:
I wasn't kidding, dude.

I like your stuff.

EDIT TO THE EDIT:
On second though, that probably wasn't the best approach for me to take. : /

Pushy demand to see more art withdrawn.

Wolfgang
07-23-2012, 06:39 PM
I finished the last page of the book today, and made a quick animation test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g31lb3W1zDw&feature=youtu.be) of one of the interactive points on the page.

Traumadore
07-23-2012, 06:49 PM
The animation looks excellent. Are you in charge of all that, or is somebody else doing the animating? I mean, I hope they get the timing right with those frames.

Wolfgang
07-23-2012, 06:52 PM
The animation looks excellent. Are you in charge of all that, or is somebody else doing the animating? I mean, I hope they get the timing right with those frames.

I'm creating all the frames myself, whenever we're using individual frames, and working very closely with the developer to make sure they're put together correctly in the app.

Kishi
07-23-2012, 09:47 PM
also my creative endeavors go unappreciated

Just wanted to pop in here and say that this is all amazing, and I'm really happy for you that it's coming together, and I'm sorry I never said so before.

Wolfgang
07-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Just wanted to pop in here and say that this is all amazing, and I'm really happy for you that it's coming together, and I'm sorry I never said so before.

Oh my gosh, I wasn't even serious about that, and I certainly didn't mean it about this. Now I feel stupid for saying that in the other thread.

Thanks, though!

That Old Chestnut
07-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Oh my gosh, I wasn't even serious about that, and I certainly didn't mean it about this.
Well, you're getting appreciation anyway, sir!

But yeah, I liked the animation in that video. It kinda reminds me of something John K. would do (which I honestly mean as a complement; not really sure about your feelings towards the man or his work). I'm sure a better comparison can be made, here, but I'm just working with what I know.

Also, was the thing you decided not to show a couple posts back related to this project, or was it about something else entirely?
(I remember the OP saying you were going to turn this into a general sketch thread, and I was actually curious about what other stuff you've come up with.)

Adam
07-23-2012, 11:14 PM
But yeah, I liked the animation in that video. It kinda reminds me of something John K. would do (which I honestly mean as a complement; not really sure about your feelings towards the man or his work).

Wolfgang would answer you, but he's furiously masturbating since you mentioned JK.

upupdowndown
07-24-2012, 06:51 PM
After seeing the animation, I am REALLY looking forward to getting the app!

tungwene
07-24-2012, 09:32 PM
I finished the last page of the book today, and made a quick animation test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g31lb3W1zDw&feature=youtu.be) of one of the interactive points on the page.That sun is so cute.

Red Silvers
07-30-2012, 04:30 PM
the twist is that Oswalt the Grump is so nice that he's really boring.

"I'm not a Grump, I just play one on television!"

Warg
07-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. The expressions are especially awesome.

Wolfgang
08-16-2012, 01:32 PM
We're including a helpful tutorial on how to use the book:

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/9836/howtousev.png

upupdowndown
08-22-2012, 01:06 PM
"Please tap here for havoc"

Wolfgang
08-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Title page!!!

http://i.imgur.com/dCOx2.jpg

Red Silvers
08-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Awesome!

Red Hedgehog
08-22-2012, 02:07 PM
This looks amazing. I would so buy it if I had one of those fancy iPad things.

Balrog
08-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Is it just me or do the buttons look out of place?

Wolfgang
08-23-2012, 01:04 AM
Is it just me or do the buttons look out of place?

A little bit, and I'm not 100% on them myself, but the developer really feels like there should be UI elements that are seen as "standard" - ie. that look like the same kinds of shiny candy buttons every other app uses - so kids will actually know to touch them. I think we should have gone with something a little more stylized, so we agreed to compromise and make it an experiment. If we see users say a lot about them - like guinea pig Balrog - we can change them easily enough down the road in an update.

upupdowndown
11-27-2012, 04:57 PM
HEY GUYS

LOOKIT WHAT WOLFGANG MADE (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/insects-aside/id579504850?mt=8)

The app is live and it can be YOURS for the princely sum of NINETY-NINE CENTS. It's a darn good lookin' storybook and it's super adorable - and there's even a special TT shoutout!

Adam
11-27-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't have an iPad so I made my sister buy a copy. I apologize to Moira for stealing her job.

upupdowndown
11-27-2012, 05:59 PM
I've been told that you can buy a copy even if you don't have an iPad if you'd like to boost the chance of it being a featured app...

Sarcasmorator
11-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Cool! I don't have an iPad/Phone, but if I get one I'll get this.

upupdowndown
11-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Wait actually when I try to do a software update on my iPad 1 it says 5.1.1 is the latest version. I don't think my ancient thing even CAN install this. :(

Wolfgang's on the case with his developer to see if they can make it compatible with older versions of iOS.

Lady
11-27-2012, 08:11 PM
congrats wolfguy!

fugu13
11-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Purchasing :)

Wolfgang
01-14-2013, 10:12 PM
So, if anyone still cares, our latest update makes the app usable on iOS 5.1. We're also working on a version of the book for more recent iPhones (4/4S/5) and their equivalent iPod touch models.

Late spring/early summer, we'll have a standalone game featuring the series characters for all iOS devices that will be a cross between Space Invaders and Ikaruga with color matching (ie. the minimum required for something to be deemed "educational") elements, and this fall/winter will see the next book of the series. In the meantime, the first book is going to receive more updates that add content and games.

Guild
01-14-2013, 10:22 PM
So, if anyone still cares, our latest update makes the app usable on iOS 5.1. We're also working on a version of the book for more recent iPhones (4/4S/5) and their equivalent iPod touch models.

Late spring/early summer, we'll have a standalone game featuring the series characters for all iOS devices that will be a cross between Space Invaders and Ikaruga with color matching (ie. the minimum required for something to be deemed "educational") elements, and this fall/winter will see the next book of the series. In the meantime, the first book is going to receive more updates that add content and games.

You need a banner for your thread. Think of it as a visual brand. Do it! This is supposed to be an advertisement man! Get with the visuals!!!

Edit: HOLY SHIT this link uudd posted doesn't even have a banner. WHY? Well I guess the slidy bar is cool. I just wish you had your logo somewhere on there, corporate or otherwise.

http://flavors.me/doubledogdaremedia#_ isn't very big yet.

Wolfgang
01-15-2013, 08:42 AM
You can't put a banner on an itunes product page.

Guild
01-15-2013, 08:53 AM
You can't put a banner on an itunes product page.

Are there other distributors you can go to or are you exclusive for itunes?

Excitemike
01-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Are there other distributors you can go to or are you exclusive for itunes?

Yeah, any hope for android support? I would get this in a heartbeat if it worked on anything I owned.

Wolfgang
01-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Yeah, any hope for android support? I would get this in a heartbeat if it worked on anything I owned.

The official position we have is that there are no plans for Android support at the moment.

My personal position is ahahahahahahahaha noooo way. The reason being that it's been proven that the vast majority of Android users don't pay for things. Making it available for even a handful of the most popular Android devices would be time much better spent making new products for iOS.

I don't doubt that a bunch of people here have paid for Android apps! But the potential customer base versus the effort of porting the app wouldn't make it worthwhile. Keep in mind that we're not just reconfiguring a two or three screen UI, we have to literally redesign the art on each page of this 30-page book to accomodate for different screen sizes. Making it available for iPhones is going to take until February.

Excitemike
01-15-2013, 09:46 AM
I want to tell you how wrong you are, I just can't find any facts to back me up :(
In any case, I will pick up your book the next time I have a customer's iPad for the weekend :)

Wolfgang
01-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Let me put it another way: the ideal conditions for an Android app to be profitable are that it's targeted to tech-savvy adult males, and in a perfect world is already popular on iOS (instapaper, etc). Our app is geared towards children/families, with the intention of promoting the characters, which are largely unknown as of yet.

If we got to the level of Angry Birds success on iOS, and had an actual team of people working with us, then maybe I'd reverse my standpoint, but that wouldn't be for years now.

Guild
01-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Let me put it another way: the ideal conditions for an Android app to be profitable are that it's targeted to tech-savvy adult males, and in a perfect world is already popular on iOS (instapaper, etc). Our app is geared towards children/families, with the intention of promoting the characters, which are largely unknown as of yet.

If we got to the level of Angry Birds success on iOS, and had an actual team of people working with us, then maybe I'd reverse my standpoint, but that wouldn't be for years now.

I know many many parents who download games for their kids to play on their phones in church or wherever. Friends I went to school with, people I've met at churches and gatherings and other strange places I frequent like bars at dangerous hours. I meet a lot of people all the time whenever I can. I met an old dude at a funeral last week and gave him my business card. He might even call me for work. If you're devving for the iPhone already, why not just slightly adjust the ratio for androids?

Edit: What I'm saying is that even if your product is not optimized for the marketplace, there's nothing you can do about that, but you can still use said marketplace to increase sales and brand awareness! It's free to sell code on androids right? You actually would benefit ENORMOUSLY from a viral pirating of this book. You'd go from being nobody to being headhunted big time. I mean if you ARE nobody. I don't know you at all.

reibeatall
01-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Guys, porting an app made for iOS isn't as simple as pressing the "upload to google play" button. There's way more work involved, especially when dealing with all the different dimensions of android devices, not just pixel size, but ratios.

Wolfgang's absolutely right about Android people not paying. The ONLY group of android users that regularly pays for things is Kindle Fire users (they tend to pay like 10x more than normal google play customers; the theory is that kindle users are used to paying for content), and it's not worth the hassle of doing the Android port just to get onto the Kindle marketplace.

Now, if they had started with the goal of having a multiplatform app, things would be different, because the problems would have been solved earlier on in the process. At this point there's probably so much code that it would take months of dev time fixing all the errors.

tl;dr dude's right you guys don't know what you're talking about

Guild
01-15-2013, 01:10 PM

Haha ok. I'm just wondering why he's afraid to be mass-pirated? iProduct users will then HAVE to pay in order to stay hep.

reibeatall
01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Trust me that's now how the mobile marketplace works.

Excitemike
01-15-2013, 01:56 PM

I feel like I've just been lumped in with Guild and I don't know what I've ever done to you to deserve that.

reibeatall
01-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Sorry didn't mean it buddy

I couldn't think of anything quick and snappy to add so i just said you guys

Wolfgang
01-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Haha ok. I'm just wondering why he's afraid to be mass-pirated? iProduct users will then HAVE to pay in order to stay hep.

See above where it would be months of work for nothing, because the people who pirate apps wouldn't pirate a children's book. NOBODY pirates children's books. Which is one of the reasons I wanted to start a children's book series rather than a game series: the people who want them will actually buy them.

Guys, porting an app made for iOS isn't as simple as pressing the "upload to google play" button. There's way more work involved, especially when dealing with all the different dimensions of android devices, not just pixel size, but ratios.

If people reading this thread take nothing else away, this should be it.

reibeatall
01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
To be fair, it's super goddamn easy to pirate iPhone games too. I had to hack three phones different ways to try and access the itunes store/in-app purchases on our game so we could combat against it and you'd be surprised how easy it is.

Wolfgang
01-15-2013, 02:48 PM
To be fair, it's super goddamn easy to pirate iPhone games too. I had to hack three phones different ways to try and access the itunes store/in-app purchases on our game so we could combat against it and you'd be surprised how easy it is.

Yeah, it's easy, but again, the venn diagram for parents with kids looking for appropriate entertainment and cheap gamer nerds looking to steal software probably connect by one pixel on the graphic designed to illustrate it. On Android, that first circle barely exists.

I feel like I've just been lumped in with Guild and I don't know what I've ever done to you to deserve that.

You're good people.

reibeatall
01-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Yeah, it's easy, but again, the venn diagram for parents with kids looking for appropriate entertainment and cheap gamer nerds looking to steal software probably connect by one pixel on the graphic designed to illustrate it. On Android, that first circle barely exists.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The kindle fire and the Google Nexus 7 are pretty popular, as are cheap tablets that people pick up at fucking Walgreens. It might be a small percent of the android market, but with a gabillion units out there it's still an amount.

I was gonna link to Go Go Kiddo (http://gogokiddo.net/) as a popular android app for kids but then I realized it's also on iOS but still.

But again, I still think you were right to only focus your resources onto iOS, I'm just arguing that Android isn't a complete hellhole.

i still want people making stuff for android cause i don't like iphones

Wolfgang
01-15-2013, 03:09 PM
But again, I still think you were right to only focus your resources onto iOS, I'm just arguing that Android isn't a complete hellhole.

Yeah, we're a small team (2!) so making sure our resources are focused on where they'll reap the most benefits is the most important thing right now.

Kate or Die!
01-15-2013, 08:48 PM
On Android, that first circle barely exists.

I'm in that circle. I wish there was more decent kid/toddler content for Android. I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for some quality shit, especially considering the amount of fun Felix has with my tablet.

Wolfgang
01-15-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm in that circle. I wish there was more decent kid/toddler content for Android. I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for some quality shit, especially considering the amount of fun Felix has with my tablet.

It's unfortunate that the Android ecosystem hasn't fostered more of this kind of app development. Don't get me wrong; I might prefer iOS over Android in terms of personal use, but I wouldn't mind another viable marketplace to profit from.

Traumadore
01-15-2013, 10:17 PM
This probably only applies to games (i.e. potential future projects), but the Futurlab guy has had some success with Plastation Minis and now Mobile, and soon Vita. Basically he also attributes it to people who are used to paying for content, unlike android, and not having to deal with the discovery issues of iOS. This allowed him to build a following and support himself despite the potential audience being a fraction of the size. He also liked how inexpensive the dev kits were and the quality of support from Sony during the process of learning the software and making his games.

Wish I could find the interviews/blogs, but it's an interesting read. He's remaking Velocity for Vita right now and it will be interesting to see if it does well.

That Old Chestnut
01-16-2013, 04:49 AM
I have to say, I find the idea of Weenie Dog & Mustard's Ikaruga For Kids pretty intriguing.

You could also throw a little Quarth or PictoBits in there, and say you're teaching kids about basic shapes.

THAT'S A RECTANGLE!

THAT'S...uh...ANOTHER RECTANGLE! SHUT UP! YOU'RE LEARNING!!!

Guild
01-16-2013, 04:21 PM
How'd you like a full brand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand) for free? You don't even have to use any of it, I just need the practice. If the answer is yes, I'll just need all the resources you used to make the website (thinks like the vector version of the double-dog and whatever fonts you used and the names of your colors as well as all your company information like phone number, email address and such) and I can begin working. I usually work in 3 phases giving the client three chances to change the direction of the work at each phase. We'd start with envelopes and letterheads and business cards, then move into brand rules. I'm willing to sign an NDA if it would help convince you.

Wolfgang
01-16-2013, 04:35 PM
We've already handled all that stuff, but thanks for offering. I'm actually really proud of my business card design. (http://imgur.com/f5TWB)

Guild
01-16-2013, 04:48 PM
We've already handled all that stuff, but thanks for offering. I'm actually really proud of my business card design. (http://imgur.com/f5TWB)

Stellar work. You obviously don't need my services. BTW that's about exactly what I had in mind when I decided to try to do your brand :D

Kayin
01-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Yo Shawn, I know we got issues, but I think it's super awesome that you've released something and are doing something cool and creative like this. We might not get along, but when I get a chance, I'm going to buy this. I wish you the bet of luck.

Wolfgang
04-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Animation for the iOS game we're working on (our next project - iPhone and iPod touch versions of the first book should be on the App Store in a week or two).

http://i.imgur.com/MusCjqp.jpg

Wolfgang
06-18-2013, 07:08 AM
Just in case there's anybody left who cares, this app is finally available to be downloaded for iPhones (3GS and later) as well as iPod touches (3rd gen and later) (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/insects-aside/id579504850?mt=8), and all models of iPad (optimized for iOS 5 and up).

upupdowndown
06-18-2013, 07:23 AM
I tried searching for Insects Aside on my phone's iTunes and came up with no results. :C

Wolfgang
06-18-2013, 07:58 AM
I tried searching for Insects Aside on my phone's iTunes and came up with no results. :C

You'd have to try the App Store app (iTunes and App Store are separate apps on iOS), or click the link I posted above. Also, it might not have made its way to the iPhone-specific App Store app yet, because it just went up today.

I just checked on my iPad, and it shows as being available for all devices, so it's probably a matter of time before it shows up on the iPhone App Store app as well.

Balrog
06-18-2013, 09:59 AM
I bought it a while back but it didn't work on my iPod Touch so I'm updating now...

Ruik
06-22-2013, 08:15 AM
I missed this being released. Just bought it and looking forward to reading it.

Balrog
06-22-2013, 09:35 AM
What does the "Read It To Me" option do? I'm not getting any sound on mine regardless of the volume :(

Wolfgang
06-23-2013, 09:39 PM
What does the "Read It To Me" option do? I'm not getting any sound on mine regardless of the volume :(

I'm legitimately embarrassed by this; my developer released the iPhone version with a ton of bugs and lots of people are seeing it break in lots of weird ways. Tons of people are saying that when they tap the page to trigger animations it crashes the app entirely, on every page. And of course it figures that it would happen the week me and Wolfgal are moving! I'm getting hives from it. I had to hold off on issuing a press release announcing the phone version. To say I'm furious is an understatement.

But to answer your question, in theory the entire book is narrated (the iPad version still works like it should).

Balrog
06-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Works fine now!

Wolfgang
06-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Works fine now!

Yep, we were able to push out an update last night. The problem was corrupted sound files, and everything is fixed. Going to be sending out the press release on Monday morning, though it's still frustrating that it took this long to take care of.

Wolfgang
07-01-2013, 10:20 AM
FINALLLYYYY able to issue a press release about the iPhone version (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/7/prweb10845059.htm), now back to work on the GAME.

Please like/share/etc!

Wolfgang
07-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Bronxville Patch did a nice little article (http://bronxville.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/bronxville-company-creates-ipad-app) about the app. So, that's a good thing.