PDA

View Full Version : The Talking Time Crossword Comic

Bongo Bill
09-12-2011, 06:35 AM
So I recently came across these awesome things (http://kerrycallen.blogspot.com/search/label/Cross%20panel%20comics). In short, simple throwaway comics made with panels in a Scrabble-style grid by alternating participants. Since I already have some experience with managing collaborative cartooning activities (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=11395), I thought I'd see about getting the ball rolling on this one.

But we're going to be much grander in scope than this prototype. The comic may grow to an unlimited extent in any dimension and have as many participants as we can get. I want to lay a few rules of order, and call for a volunteer to draw the first strip.

Panels are 150 pixels by 150 pixels (subject to change before we start; maybe as much as 200x200) in a square grid, including panel borders.
Participants take turns to add new panels to the comic. Turns can be taken simultaneously as long as they don't try to place on the same tile. To prevent collisions, you are encouraged to claim specific tiles in advance.
The same participant may not take two turns in a row.
Placement of new panels follows Scrabble rules: all new panels added at once must be in a straight line with no gaps, and every resulting strip must make some sort of sense on its own.
Participants' comics must be monochromatic; when you sign up, claim a color for you to use exclusively. If a lot of interest appears early on, we can add new colors by allowing the use of different background colors as well as foreground ones.

I will need a volunteer to create the first comic. My meager drawing ability is more than sufficient for participation, but I think it would be inauspicious to begin that way. If you want to be the one to get us started, contact me and we can get the initial template set up and nail down some technical matters before releasing it into the wild.

Registered colors:
namelessentity

BEAT
09-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Signing up.

Also you'll recive my comic replacement game comic tonight.

namelessentity
09-12-2011, 08:05 AM
I don't think I could do this along with the other one, but it looks really interesting and I'm excited to see what you guys come up with.

Bongo Bill
09-12-2011, 08:11 AM
I don't think I could do this along with the other one, but it looks really interesting and I'm excited to see what you guys come up with.

There's no time limit or anything. Just do this one after the other.

namelessentity
09-12-2011, 09:41 AM
In that case I'm in and call #57007F

Karzac
09-15-2011, 10:47 AM
This is the most amazing thing. Not sure if I'll participate or not, but I'll definitely watch.

Also, this could be the most amazing board game ever, with some modifications.

BEAT
09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
BEAT FORGOT TO PICK A COLOR.

BEAT PICKS #FF0000

Falselogic
09-20-2011, 03:54 PM
This looks fun and easy enough that I can do it.

I will be Navy

Bongo Bill
09-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Who will volunteer to draw the first comic?

Nerdy
09-21-2011, 12:54 AM
I'll watch too! I might join next round.

Kirin
09-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I think Bill's idea was to just keep growing the original one organically for as long as people are interested, rather than having distinct rounds. So people could just jump in whenever. As such, I might jump in sometime, but I'm trying not to make too many commitments at once, at the moment...

Gunther, an Otter
11-22-2011, 06:31 PM
LET US NEVER FORGET AGAIN. Crossword Comics.

Who will volunteer to draw the first comic?

DIBS.

BEAT
11-23-2011, 01:21 PM
STILL IN THIS GUYS.

STILL IN IT.

namelessentity
11-23-2011, 01:42 PM
We don't need those guys in the other thread, we'll start our own collaborative comic dealie, with blackjack, and hookers.

Do we still need a start comic? Or is someone working on it now?

Gunther, an Otter
11-23-2011, 03:56 PM
I sent one to Bongo Last night. I don't know if we're operating under ULTRA SECRECY Here or what... But its 200x200 because BIG is synonomous with GREAT.

Gunther, an Otter
11-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Because of a condition of Ghosts in his pants drawer Bongo is less enthused about this than he may have been many months ago.

So I'm just gonna Hughjack this whole thing like what any decent soul might do.

http://i.imgur.com/2BEqT.png

OKAY HERE IS THE DEAL. DIBS THE PANEL. DRAW THE PANEL. DEPOSIT THE PANEL (here) AND THEN IT GETS ADDED TO THE MASTER GRID.

THIS CONTINUES UNTIL WE ALL DIE OF HYPERTUBERCULOSIS-LEOPARCHOLERA VAN ULTRA DEATH. THE DISEASE THAT ONLY KILLS THE AWESOMEST ORGANISMS.

GET GOIN

BŁge
11-24-2011, 06:21 AM
http://i.imgur.com/qMtzJ.png

Bongo Bill
11-24-2011, 08:32 AM
You may add more than one panel at a time! Just make sure they're all in a row. Crossword Comics operate according to Scrabble Rules.

Besides which this thing doesn't really need a manager. Honor system is go.