PDA

View Full Version : Sailing the Sexy Seas!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lucas
12-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Because sometimes a group of theoretically grown men wants to sit down and pretend to be an all-girl crew of pirates.

Things we ought to do:
1. Buy some magic doohickey or other to carry all our stuff, since we're all half-pints who apparently had to go and make strength our dump stat. A bag of holding split four ways would cost us each 625 gold, but I think I'm the only one who still has that kind of money. On the other hand, a handy haversack may have less storage than the BoH but would only cost us 500 each and it's not like we have a lot of luggage anyway. I'm pretty sure I'm still the only one with that much on hand, though.

2. Figure out a ship name, not to mention why and how long we've been traveling together.

I'm looking forward to starting this game next week!

And here's the wiki! (http://virago.wikia.com/wiki/Virago_Wiki)

Googleshng
12-04-2011, 02:42 AM
On the how/why end, there's always the Sexy Amistad angle- PCs all were originally picked up by slave trading pirates, managed to take over the ship, all the other would-be slave girls died and/or left because they didn't want to do the groovy pirate thing.

Another point worth getting into is vague party alignment. We going with chaotic good, chaotic neutral, or chaotic evil on that one?

Lucas
12-04-2011, 03:22 AM
I'm down for Sexy Amistad times. As for alignment, I went with chaotic neutral. Berlin may not be a hateful, unloving bitch or averse to adventuring largely for adventuring's sake, but she's definitely looking out for number one. If we do go for the Sexy Amistad story, her fighting the captors was at least 90% purely for her own benefit with saving the other slaves an afterthought (if it was a thought at all - I mean, we're starting with 6K gold each, that money had to come from somewhere...).

*ahem* Anyway, I think Berlin "the Sea Snake" Daergal and her eidolon Kavira are due for a major overhaul already. They're not min-maxed nearly enough considering how synthesists work - Berlin's not-horribly-crappy physical stats are wasted in that the only one which isn't overshadowed by Kavira is actually made worse by summoning. Dropping those all down to 10s instead of twelves so I can pump up her mental stats is almost definitely happening.

I also noticed most of the way through creating Kavira that since I'm a synthesist, my summon doesn't actually get skills or feats of her own, making the whole multi-armed, multi-sword-swinging pseudo-marilith idea much harder to pull off. Not only am I passing up multi-weapon fighting unless I want to make my actual PC almost useless on her own (well sure I'll only take feats I can only use when I'm wearing a spirit from another dimension like an elfgirl suit!), this makes me wonder whether the Weapon Training evolution even works for a synth. The more I think about it, the more tempted I am to go with claws and poison to really play up the whole snakewoman vibe.

Comb Stranger
12-04-2011, 11:04 AM
As a reader, I demand you use the eidolon summoning time as a minute-long magical girl transformation sequence.

Googleshng
12-04-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm down for Sexy Amistad times. As for alignment, I went with chaotic neutral. Berlin may not be a hateful, unloving bitch or averse to adventuring largely for adventuring's sake, but she's definitely looking out for number one. If we do go for the Sexy Amistad story, her fighting the captors was at least 90% purely for her own benefit with saving the other slaves an afterthought (if it was a thought at all - I mean, we're starting with 6K gold each, that money had to come from somewhere...).

That's... almost exactly what I had in mind for myself. Although probably with a little more teamwork just over the whole issue of-

"Curses! I can make an improvised gun out of this spyglass I swiped from the navigator, but I can't find anything to use for ammo!"

"Damnit! I have this spell that creates ammunition, but I don't have a bow or anything!"

"Heeeey...."

The more I think about it, the more tempted I am to go with claws and poison to really play up the whole snakewoman vibe.

I'd poke around the Paizo forums and double check, but otherwise, yeah, probably the way to go.

Mogri
12-04-2011, 05:00 PM
You could've become a gunslinger after the fact. Nothing says the story needs to take place immediately after the coup.

Also, if this is the backstory, there's a feat tailor-made for it: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/galley-slave

Googleshng
12-04-2011, 05:18 PM
And oh yeah, I tried to bring this up last night in your channel, but everyone had kinda fallen asleep.

Is there some benefit I'm not seeing to this Gametable thing? Because as far as I can tell from messing with it, it has the exact same interface and functionality as Maptool (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads#MapTool), except the following features don't seem to exist:
- Dumping in a big ol' hand drawn/scanned/whatever map into the background and fiddling around to match the grid spacing.
- Covering a pre-drawn map with fog of war, so the GM doesn't have to redraw everything as the party wanders through.
- Making a mini out of any image file you have just by dropping it onto the map, as opposed to having to select from a really limited pool of premade ones.
- Showing a nice little movement path, with distance travelled displayed, and the ability to add waypoints with the space bar, so people can count out how far they can move and the GM can see if they step on traps or whatever.
- Rounding things off to 5' intervals when measuring out distances, to avoid confusion when moving diagonally, or drawing a circular blast radius.
- Displaying little HP bars, or various status markers on minis.
- Resizing/rearranging stuff to get, say, a bigger chat window under a screen filling map without a sidebar of minis to potentially add.
- The ability to find any mini on the table in a nice little sidebar and zoom right to it.
- The ability to have multiple maps all loaded up in a menu (and hide them from players) so you can just be all "OK, so you head into the tavern? Bam!"
- Typing something like "Attacking Goblin 1 [1d20+9]" into the chat window resulting in:
"Googleshng: Attacking Goblin 1 [1d20+9]>>[5+9=14]"

And a bunch more stuff nobody really cares about, but the command line dice thing in particular is a pretty significant thing to lose for... again, no benefit I can see.

TirMcDohl
12-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Ah. I've never used Maptool, so I'll give it a once-over. I'm sure it's more solid, it's just I've used Gametable in the past.

I'm really digging the characterization you guys have come up, and poke me on IRC or PM me here to give me a little about your characters and stuff.

TirMcDohl
12-04-2011, 09:59 PM
I've gotten sheets from Google and Mogri. Lucas, and Solitayre, can I get some sheetage?

Lucas
12-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Right, right, need to fix my character(s). I'll try to get that done tonight.

Lucas
12-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Also, if this is the backstory, there's a feat tailor-made for it: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/galley-slave

I saw that. Decided not to take it, though, since who uses a gnome as a galley slave? Considering her abilities, nickname, and goddess (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Besmara), I'm figuring she's a pirate marine by trade - she's probably either a former crew member who joined in the slave mutiny to gain power and toss out a particularly nasty captain or she was captured in battle at some point.

Googleshng
12-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Besmara! Sorry Cayden Cailean. Maybe next time.

And yeah, galley slave doesn't make quite as much sense if we're going with the collective backstory I think we are at this point, wherein the PCs weren't so much slaves of some pirates as slaves said pirates had rounded up to sell to other people. The sort who want a bunch of girls in mithril chainmail bikinis.

Mogri
12-05-2011, 01:18 PM
I was hoping my character's parents had sold her into slavery, thus paving the way for psychological issues, backstory, and other fluffy characterization.

These are not mutually incompatible, though.

TirMcDohl
12-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Sorry for the crude map, totally not generated in Dwarf Fortress.

It's a work in progress, I'll keep it updated.
http://dohl.brontoforum.us/land.jpg

Lucas
12-05-2011, 06:22 PM
What about that bag of holding, guys? If the gold is a problem for everyone else, I can toss in extra - not caring about weapons or armor is leaving me relatively rich. (But don't think I'll just buy the bag myself - personally I'd rather have a ring of protection and an extra wand.)

Mogri
12-05-2011, 07:09 PM
I can spare some cash for it. If we're in, just say how much.

Lucas
12-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Someone asked me to crunch numbers and I put it off for two days? Something's wrong with me.

Our two options are a bag of holding or the smaller but a little more convenient handy haversack. A basic bag of holding is 2500g, holding 250 pounds in thirty cubic feet (a cost of 10g per pound). If we split it four ways, that's 625 each.

A handy haversack costs 2Kg, or 500 a pop from us, and only holds 120 pounds in 12 cubic feet (about 17g/lb) divided into three compartments. It does have the benefit of being able to grab whatever you want right away though - a move action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, unlike the BoH's possible full-round action and definite AoO in battle. A haversack also weighs a third as much as the bag and fails to destroy the time-space continuum if combined with a portable hole.

Personally, I prefer the haversack. The only bad thing about it is the reduced carrying capacity, but are any of us planning to carry anything very big? I know I'm not.

Anyway, I said I might be willing to take up some of the slack on these things for you guys who don't have so much gold. I'll throw up to a thousand gold into the pot. Assuming you guys split the rest of the cost evenly, that'd make a bag of holding 500 for each of you and a haversack 333 (I'll throw in the extra g in that case, I suppose).

Now please excuse me while I go figure out 4999 gold pieces' worth of equipment for my summoner. What kinds of first- or zeroth-level wands should I be looking at? Cure Light Wounds is a given, but I can probably afford a couple others.

Googleshng
12-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Haversack's probably the better bet yeah. They have more style, and we apparently have the frelling hold of a ship for long-term loot storage. That and I can totally chip in 333 without having to give up on this magnifying glass I grabbed because why not?

TirMcDohl
12-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Guys, I hate to pull the rug out from underneath you, but game might be off this weekend, due to my Grandmother. She's on full-time hospice care, and the doctors expect her to pass soon.

Mogri
12-08-2011, 04:51 PM
No worries. Take care of your family first.

Lucas
12-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Yeah, what Mogri said.

Solitayre
12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about that. =/

TirMcDohl
12-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Until further notice, game is on, unless I come back and say otherwise.

Mogri
12-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Look, man, you can't just play with our feelings like that.

TirMcDohl
12-09-2011, 06:47 PM
I said it MIGHT be off. For now, it's on.

Mogri
12-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Well, I MIGHT have made plans :(

TirMcDohl
12-09-2011, 07:40 PM
...oh. Man. :(

I'm sorry.

Lucas
12-10-2011, 03:12 AM
This thread is a rollercoaster.

Googleshng
12-10-2011, 03:38 AM
For whatever it's worth, I fully intend to show up here, either to play, or help get a head start resolving technical difficulties.

Mogri
12-10-2011, 08:46 AM
I'll see if I can get out of it. Worst case is I'm home around 10:30. Not ideal, I know :(

Lucas
12-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I'll be in the general area at least. If I'm not on my computer I'll likely be playing Halo or something so just yell into my IM client really loud and I should hear you.

Lucas
12-16-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm going to have a friend over tomorrow but I should still be available - he's made me watch him play D&D when I've visited him, and turnabout is fair play, etc. Just saying I'll be distracted, but since it's an IRC game I don't know if we'll even notice that much.

TirMcDohl
12-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm totally surprised Googleshng didn't talk up his amazing crit to the wererat's face.

Googleshng's friends are getting devoured by rat swarms, and he does the sensible thing: get to higher ground, and goes up some stairs. A wererat was waiting to ambush them on the upper landing, but when Google saw him, he said 'fuck it' and leapt over the railing, stabbed him.

Google's turn comes up next and he crits the wererat's face off for something like 20 damage or so. Dude had only 18 HP to start with.

Googleshng
12-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Think it was more than that. 4d8+1d6+1 and a pretty decent roll... and that was the second shot to it. So yeah. Negative lots.

I've kinda been desensitized to dramatic x4 crits though. My other Saturday game kinda has this go-to strategy involving a witch with a sleep hex and a barbarian with a pickaxe. I've almost seen him hit triple digits at only level 5.

Mogri
12-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Is it at 5 or 6? Or maybe 7?

I've blocked out my evening this time :)

Googleshng
12-16-2011, 11:57 PM
If you are in Pacific, Mountain, or Central time, any one of those would be about half an hour early.

TirMcDohl
12-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Rewards from the game last night:

625 XP
500 gold to each of you for mission accomplishment plus bonus for retrieving that signet ring.
Deed to the broken down, fixer-upper mansion
Two wererat prisoners

Mogri
12-18-2011, 08:48 AM
We can afford that bag of holding or haversack we always wanted, ladies.

Googleshng
12-18-2011, 01:22 PM
We can afford that bag of holding or haversack we always wanted, ladies.

Er... didn't we already pitch in and buy that and that's why I can't afford any freakin' bullets?

TirMcDohl
12-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Since we won't be meeting for a no-kidding gaming session for two weeks, I will try to make myself as available as I can for lighter, one-on-one sessions, to allow you guys to take care of character business as you need, just to keep a little of the momentum going for our downtime.

Mogri
12-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Er... didn't we already pitch in and buy that and that's why I can't afford any freakin' bullets?

No one told me this :[

TirMcDohl
12-26-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm on IRC right now, in #dohlgame. I can conduct one-on-one character business as needed.

TirMcDohl
01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Game's back on Saturday night!

Mogri
01-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I have cleared my calendar. I'll be there with bells on, as soon as I can find my bells.

Lucas
01-06-2012, 02:39 PM
I'll be there but possibly kind of late, since I've got a sealed deck tournament tomorrow. These games often go until five or six even when no one shows up, but it's only a few minutes down the road so... guess we'll see what happens.

TirMcDohl
01-16-2012, 02:54 PM
1500 XP to all interested parties.

TirMcDohl
02-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Since I was laid off, the game is on hiatus.

Mogri
02-02-2012, 04:19 PM
:( :(

That really sucks. Good luck!

Out of curiosity, what kind of work are you looking for (and in what area)?

TirMcDohl
02-02-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm looking for something in the electronics field. I've got experience with testing, troubleshooting, and repair. I'd be willing to go anywhere.

Lucas
02-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Well, if you don't mind some hard work and long times at sea, you could make a silver piece a day helping to sail our ship. I'm pretty sure it's not even taxed!

But no, seriously, that blows. Here's hoping you find something new soon.

TirMcDohl
02-03-2012, 04:11 AM
After sleeping on it, I realize that I will need a distraction on the weekends to keep myself sane on the job hunt, so I take back what I said yesterday.

Solitayre
02-03-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about this. Job hunting sucks.

Googleshng
02-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Unemployment and GMing actually do work pretty well together. Still sucks though.

TirMcDohl
02-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Uhh...did IRC drop out for anyone else?

Lucas
02-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I can't get back in.

TirMcDohl
02-04-2012, 08:41 PM
It's back up.

Googleshng
02-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Well... I'm back in there. Is there a split here or something?

Mogri
02-04-2012, 09:12 PM
I see Google, but no one else.

Solitayre
02-06-2012, 11:31 PM
We talked about it the other night, so here it is.

http://virago.wikia.com/wiki/Virago_Wiki

Made this for keeping track of campaign information. Helps to have something everyone can edit if need be.

Not much here yet, obviously. But I'd like to make use of it for character sheets, keeping track of communal inventories, and to write down names of things so we don't forget them!

TirMcDohl
02-07-2012, 05:08 AM
...REALLY? wikia has cheevos?

...The fuck, internet?!

Red Hedgehog
02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
We talked about it the other night, so here it is.

http://virago.wikia.com/wiki/Virago_Wiki

Made this for keeping track of campaign information. Helps to have something everyone can edit if need be.

Not much here yet, obviously. But I'd like to make use of it for character sheets, keeping track of communal inventories, and to write down names of things so we don't forget them!

May I recommend Epic Words (http://www.epicwords.com/)?

We use it for pence's Carrion Crown campaign and it works very well and is tailored for RPG and D&D stuff.

Googleshng
02-19-2012, 12:37 AM
What Valla missed:

- We got 600 GP each of loot out of the hold of yon captured ship.
- Carefully distributing our people who know how to sail and our cowardly prisoners, we also got yon captured ship.
- We sold yon captured ship because really it was kind of a pain getting both into town like that, and we also collected the bounty on the captain who apparently is totally considered a big scary dude in Gnome-town. 6000 gold total between the two, but we're pretty much saving that to buy/build cannons with so we can navally battle all PROPER.
- The two agreeable captives ultimately proved not to be pretty-cool-dudes worth being nice to or keeping on, but still got to leave unpunished.
- I may or may not have been kidding when I suggested we get one of these (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/cursed-items#TOC-Girdle-of-Opposite-Gender) so the next time we end up with someone else's turncoat mooks of dubious trustworthiness, we have a way they can prove their loyalty on the spot with the added perk of not further diluting the whole all girl pirate crew thing we have going.
- We totally have a bunch of other miscellaneous loot TBA from the other ship's hold and looted off all these dead/beaten up pirates.

Lucas
02-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Our cooperative prisoners were set free at the end rather than turned in to the cops, but they also didn't get a single copper out of the captain and weren't happy.

Also, cool as I am with outfitting the Virago and getting up to some proper ship combat, I am remembering the GM saying before the campaign started that the plan was eventually to go inland and switch away from being a sea-based adventure.

Googleshng
02-19-2012, 03:32 AM
True, but based on our massive recent financial windfalls, I would figure that phase of things will be proceeded by us either:

- Having our luck totally run out, losing all our fabulous riches, and having to escape from slavery again, rebuilding all OSP.

- Adding wheels and/or a giant propeller to our ship and being able to take it everywhere anyway.

That said, I SHOULD probably point out that by taking this here pistol-focus archetype I did kinda totally give away all the innate proficiency and ability to get snazzy a vanilla gunslinger would have with a cannon.

Lucas
02-19-2012, 02:18 PM
You're right, adding amphibious capabilities to the Virago can probably - and should! - be considered part of properly fixing it up.

Solitayre
02-19-2012, 06:04 PM
I've really enjoyed the whole nautical aspect of the campaign so far, it's a lot different than other games I've played (admittedly not many) and it presents a whole new level to the gameplay, presenting a few logistical puzzles like what happened last night where we had to figure out how to sail two ships with only six people.

Not that I'm opposed to turning the Virago into a tank, mind.

TirMcDohl
02-25-2012, 05:41 PM
MOGRI.

Where you is?

Mogri
02-25-2012, 05:42 PM
MOGRI.

Where you is?

Sorry dude! I am doing WORK right now, which sucks. I will join as soon as I can.

Mogri
02-25-2012, 06:02 PM
I will join as soon as I can.

note: this is not going to be anytime soon :( :( :(

TirMcDohl
02-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Hey mogri. Do you have an ETA?

TirMcDohl
02-29-2012, 11:17 AM
ALERT!

This game will be going on Hiatus soon. Since I received my job offer, I'm gonna have to move soon. This weekend's game is on, but expect to take some time off the weekend after next. Keep a weathered eye on the horizon for more details!

Mogri
02-29-2012, 11:22 AM
I fully expect a cliffhanger ending!

TirMcDohl
03-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Very well done last night, guys!

Gain a level. Y'all are now level 6.

The game is now on hiatus, pending my ability to get internet access in El Paso.

Lucas
03-04-2012, 01:30 PM
No worries. That'll give us time to argue over... that thing we said last night we'd argue in the thread instead of IRC, which was, um....

TirMcDohl
03-04-2012, 01:59 PM
About what you're going to do with the Virago and the Obsidian Dagger.

Solitayre
03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Would fixing up the Virago increase it's sale price enough to be worthwhile?

Lucas
03-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I saw this and thought of us. (http://footloosecomic.com/footloose/pages.php?page=449)

Anyway, yeah, we need to see whether it's worthwhile fixing up the Virago, or if we should just use it for a little longer while we're modding the Dagger with giant crab legs (or gas bag+propellers, or whatever) then sell it for parts.

Solitayre
03-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Since I have way too much free time, commemorative character tokens.

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/4474/locker/TTBerlinToken.PNG http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/4474/locker/TTMeiraToken.PNG http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/4474/locker/TTRoxieToken.PNGhttp://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/4474/locker/TTVallaToken.PNG

[disclaimer: I have no idea what Berlin looks like]

Lucas
03-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Are we still on hiatus for this week? Because I totally didn't get any sleep this morning and might not be all that good at roleplaying tonight. Also, totally forgot to level up Berlin and Kariva =I

Maybe if I'm not the only slacker and there's no session tonight we players could gather in IRC to level up together?

Solitayre
03-10-2012, 04:13 PM
I can hop on IRC and we can collaborate if you like.

Lucas
03-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Do we know yet if we're still on hiatus for this weekend? I need to know for scheduling another game.

Solitayre
03-15-2012, 09:19 PM
I believe we still are.

TirMcDohl
03-16-2012, 04:48 AM
Yes. No game this weekend. I'm shooting for next weekend to be up, but I dunno if it'll happen.

Lucas
03-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Alright, no need for me to try and sleep this morning then. Thanks for the answers.

TirMcDohl
03-19-2012, 06:09 PM
I Am Internet again. Game on this weekend!

Solitayre
03-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I think we could save ourselves some time at the beginning of next session by discussing/deciding what we want to do before game time. Here's a list of things I can recall we were going to do.

-Contact the dwarves in the desert about turning our ship into a totally awesome airship.

Check up on what's happening in Klen/Horizon

-Salvage operation near Klen.

-Buy some cannons.

-Use the slave bracelet to communicate with the mysterious villain.

-Follow up on the slavers' operation in Delmar.

Myself, I say we talk to some of those slaves we just rescued and form our very own totally awesome army of former slaves to go murder our enemies.

TirMcDohl
03-22-2012, 03:00 PM
And the decision of what to do with the Virago and the Obsidian Dagger.

TirMcDohl
03-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Game is on tonight, gang!

Mogri
03-24-2012, 07:41 AM
My wife is heading to the airport tonight. I'm not yet sure what that will do to my availability, but I'm wide open otherwise. I'll keep you posted.

Mogri
03-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Looks like I'll be back in plenty of time. Crisis: averted.

TirMcDohl
03-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Then I'll have to concoct some crises.

*cracks open the 3.5 book Sandstorm*

TirMcDohl
03-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Gametime is in about 15. WHERE ARE YOU GUYS?

TirMcDohl
03-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Stupid Lucas's connection.

:/

Solitayre
03-25-2012, 03:03 PM
We still have 24,300 group funded cash. Since we finished upgrading our ship, shall we just divide that among the four of us? Split four ways, that's slightly over 6k a piece.

Next week: LE RESISTANCE.

Lucas
03-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Actually, I was thinking of suggesting we go the other way and just have a group treasure pile from which we can requisition petty cash for little improvements when we're falling behind the equipment curve; it would give us a nice way to pay our sailors and buy ship improvements without arguing over who has to fork over the money. I might be prejudiced towards this since I need by far the least equipment of all of us, though.

On the other hand, that much gold in my personal fund would be enough to get me a new metamagic rod....

Solitayre
03-31-2012, 02:04 AM
Is it time for LE RESISTANCE? IS IT?

Mogri
03-31-2012, 10:26 AM
I have a conflict until at least 7 tonight. I will try to Le Resist.

TirMcDohl
03-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Good luck tonight, y'all.

Solitayre
04-01-2012, 01:35 AM
http://virago.wikia.com/wiki/Players

I put the communal inventory on this page.

TirMcDohl
04-03-2012, 03:52 PM
So yeah, guys. Aram is kinda nuts. If you couldn't tell, I based him on the Tetori monk off the SRD. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/tetori)

Expect him to Final Atomic Buster someone.

Solitayre
04-03-2012, 07:03 PM
I need him to teach me that move where he forces shackles onto someone. I need it for style points.

TirMcDohl
04-04-2012, 04:37 PM
His deal is that he has Greater Grapple as a class-granted feat. By looking at the prereqs, he shouldn't have it, but he does. The only thing he lacks is BAB.

Greater Grapple is what makes the thing work. It shifts grapple attempts from a standard action to a move action. This allows him to do the grapple and cuff in one turn.

TirMcDohl
04-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Mogri! Lucas! Your presence is requested for gametime!

TirMcDohl
04-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Hey, Googleshng. Make sure you level up Roxie for next time. I want to hear your fellow players' take on how tonight went.

Lucas
04-08-2012, 02:38 AM
Well, that was fun! And we have so many slave bracelets now!

Anyway, things I need to do before next game, recorded here so people can bug me to work on them:

stat up Render (Rending Rodriguez)
work out Berlin's maximum level of awesomeness if I started using a whip I think we agreed it isn't that high
choose two level 3 and one level 1 spells, keeping in mind I have someone else to buff now
pick a different feat if I decide not to whip things good
spend Kariva's new evolution point
oh my god I could take the right evolutions and build Render right and he could ride me into battle

Edit: By the way, hours later I'm still laughing at Mogri's casual "circumstance penalty for being the bard."

Googleshng
04-08-2012, 06:29 AM
oh my god I could take the right evolutions and build Render right and he could ride me into battle

That is sufficiently weird and creepy that I think you really have no choice but to do it.

Lucas
04-08-2012, 02:02 PM
The main problem with it is that it's only one evolution point for Mount, but four for Large Size, and those four points have to come from somewhere.

Possibly Evolution Surge, if I want to use one of my level 3 spells for that instead of buffing Render....

Mightyblue
04-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Nu? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSYmkexfyAE)

char limit

Solitayre
04-08-2012, 06:10 PM
TeenPirate Girl Squad vs The Ninja
Or, how I learned to love the fort save.

<McDohl> Aram will volunteer as well. Later that night, on Berlin's watch, while the others are sleeping...
<McDohl> Perception check, please?
<Berlin> .roll 1d20+1
<Dice> Berlin: your 4 1d20+1 rolled 15, total 16
<Berlin> someday, someday I'll roll up a character with a wisdom score
<McDohl> It's pretty damn quiet, Berlin
<Meira> (Oh fff itís a ninja)
<McDohl> .roll 1d20+13
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d20+13 rolled 13, total 26
<McDohl> Hit flat-footed AC?
<Berlin> without my summon up? pretty easily
<McDohl> .roll 1d2+2
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d2+2 rolled 2, total 4
<McDohl> 4 damage
<McDohl> Save Fortitude
<Berlin> "OW!"
<Berlin> .roll 1d20+2
<Dice> Berlin: your 4 1d20+2 rolled 3, total 5
<Valla> ow
<McDohl> Perception check from sleepyheads, -5 penalty.
<Meira> .roll 1d20+2
<Dice> Meira: your 4 1d20+2 rolled 7, total 9
* Meira zzzzzzs and rolls over.
<McDohl> So does Berlin.
<Berlin> noooo
<McDohl> Valla.
<Valla> .roll 1d20+2
<Dice> Valla: your 4 1d20+2 rolled 20, total 22
<Valla> zing!
<Meira> Hell yeah
<Valla> valla sleeps with both eyes open, just in case
<McDohl> Valla, you hear the whistling of metal cutting air, and you snap to conciousness just as a shuriken with a liquid dripping from one of the blades sinks in to Berlin's arm.
<Meira> (Holy crap it really IS a ninja)
<Valla> well!
<McDohl> Berlin is out for a minute. Based on the angle of where it hit, it came spinning in through the window of the room.
* Meira zzzzzzzzz
<McDohl> Initiative, just Valla.
<Valla> .roll 1d20+7
<Dice> Valla: your 4 1d20+7 rolled 10, total 17
<McDohl> .roll 1d20+8
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d20+8 rolled 5, total 13
<McDohl> Valla, you're up.
<Meira> (GO VALLA GO)
* Valla enters Stealth Mode.
<Valla> .roll 1d20+20
<Dice> Valla: your 4 1d20+20 rolled 16, total 36
<Valla> I slip on my chainmail and grab my shortsword, throwing something small at Meira in the process
<McDohl> Meira, constitution check.

<Meira> .roll 1d20
<Dice> Meira: your 4 1d20 rolled 4, total 4
<McDohl> ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
* Meira mumble grumble "Damnit Roxie" grumble
<McDohl> .roll 1d20+21
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d20+21 rolled 4, total 25
<McDohl> Perception please, Valla.
<Valla> .roll 1d20+7
<Dice> Valla: your 4 1d20+7 rolled 8, total 15
<McDohl> You know there's someone else in the room, but you don't know where.
<McDohl> Your turn.
<McDohl> (Remember the space battle in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan? Here we go.)
* Meira was thinking more the ninja battle in Samurai Jack
<Valla> I'll apply some poison to my shortsword and crawl around the room, careful not to bump into dudes
<McDohl> Stealth roll, please.
<Valla> .roll 1d20+20
<Dice> Valla: your 4 1d20+20 rolled 19, total 39
<Valla> look
<Valla> I'm basically invisible
<McDohl> I can still succeed in finding you on a natural 20.
<Valla> I can find your mom on a natural 1
* Meira zzzzzz
<McDohl> .roll 1d20+10
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d20+10 rolled 20, total 30
<Meira> ....
<McDohl> ...
<McDohl> HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
<McDohl> I briefly considered rolling it on my own dice, but I figured you'd want to see it
<McDohl> I didn't think it would happen, but it did! I'm sorry!!! :(
<Berlin> I knew it was going to happen as soon as the GM said that's all he needed
<McDohl> .roll 1d20+12 shuriken flat-footed.
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d20+12 for 2shuriken flat-footed. rolled 18, total 30
<Valla> >_>
* Valla zzzzz
<McDohl> .roll 1d2+2
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d2+2 rolled 2, total 4
<Valla> oh wait fort
<McDohl> 4 damage, save fort
<Valla> because THAT save doesn't suck
<Valla> .roll 1d20+2
<Dice> Valla: your 4 1d20+2 rolled 13, total 15
<McDohl> ...if only you had rolled one point higher. :(
<Meira> (Do I get to roll perception because someone made an attack right next to my face)
<McDohl> -5 penalty, meira.
<Meira> .roll 1d20+2
<Dice> Meira: your 4 1d20+2 rolled 17, total 19
<McDohl> and Valla is out cold for one minute.
<McDohl> !
* Meira falls out of bed, very angry
<McDohl> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnQRWJ7bIhs
<McDohl> Initiative, Meira.
<Meira> .roll 1d20+2
<Dice> Meira: your 4 1d20+2 rolled 20, total 22
<McDohl> You're up.
<Meira> Do I see what is happening at all
<McDohl> A dark, hooded figure, his/her face is shrouded. Obviously someone who's an old hat at stealth.
* Meira casts SOUND BURST (which covers an area) (and is loud) at that asshole
<Meira> .roll 1d8
<Dice> Meira: your 4 1d8 rolled 8, total 8
<McDohl> AoO for casting, unless you're casting defensively
<Meira> What do I do for that again, roll + cha mod vs caster level something
<McDohl> DC 15+ 2xspell level on concentration check.
<Meira> concentration is wisdom?
* Meira doesn't know this stuff!
<Meira> Sound Burst is level 2 so I need ot beat 19 but I don't know what I'm adding to my roll
<McDohl> d20+caster level+cha mod
<Meira> Oh
<Meira> I can do that
<Meira> .roll 1d20+10
<Dice> Meira: your 4 1d20+10 rolled 15, total 25
<Valla> nice
<Meira> okay so I sound burst him for 8 damage and he must save fort or be stunned
<McDohl> Valla and Berlin, unfortunately, are drugged, so the poison's going to take some time to wear off, and can't get up.
<McDohl> Aram, however, will get a CON check to wake up, +8 bonus.
<McDohl> .roll 1d20+10
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d20+10 rolled 8, total 18
<McDohl> He will stir.
<McDohl> Meanwhile, the cloak man will draw a knife and go at Meira.
<McDohl> .roll 1d20+10
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d20+10 rolled 14, total 24
<Meira> He wasn't stunned I presume
<McDohl> oh right.
<McDohl> save
<Meira> vs 16
<Meira> fort
<McDohl> .roll 1d20+7
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d20+7 rolled 11, total 18
<McDohl> Saved.
<Meira> okay he hits me
<McDohl> .roll 1d4+2
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d4+2 rolled 1, total 3
<McDohl> Save fort.
<Meira> .roll 1d20+3
<Dice> Meira: your 4 1d20+3 rolled 18, total 21

<McDohl> .roll 1d20+7 Aram init
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d20+7 for 2Aram init rolled 13, total 20
<Meira> Going to have to try harder than that, slaver.
<McDohl> Meira, you're up.
<Meira> Hmmm
<Meira> I'm assuming this guy has AC >TEXAS so I'll sing Inspire Courage
<Meira> and move out of his range
<McDohl> Okay. You back up against the wall next to the door.
<McDohl> Aram will close behind the cloaked man and attempt to BEAR HUG
<McDohl> Bah.
<McDohl> Rolled like piss.
<McDohl> The hooded man will draw his last poisoned knife and go at you one more time, Meira.
<Meira> BRING IT
<McDohl> .roll 1d20+10
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d20+10 rolled 14, total 24
<Meira> That hits
<McDohl> it has been brought-ed
<McDohl> .roll 1d4+2
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d4+2 rolled 1, total 3
<McDohl> save fort
<Meira> .roll 1d20+3
<Dice> Meira: your 4 1d20+3 rolled 19, total 22
<McDohl> Ur turn
<Meira> At least his damage sucks
<Meira> Do I get flanking bonus because Aram is in melee with him
<McDohl> yes
<Meira> Neat, I grab my sword and murder his stupid hooded face off
<Meira> .roll 1d20+12
<Dice> Meira: your 4 1d20+12 rolled 5, total 17
<McDohl> nope
<Meira> move action, kick Valla
<McDohl> Valla, constitution check. -4 penalty.
<Valla> .roll 1d20-4
<Dice> Valla: your 4 1d20-4 rolled 20, total 16
<McDohl> You awaken, but you're still under the effect of the poison. -4 on to-hit and skill checks.
<McDohl> Aram will attempt another grab.
<McDohl> .roll 1d20+10
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d20+10 rolled 9, total 19
<McDohl> No dice.
<McDohl> AGAIN.
<McDohl> .roll 1d20+10
<Dice> McDohl: your 4 1d20+10 rolled 5, total 15
<Meira> Was that including BARD SONG
<McDohl> shit
<McDohl> Nope, but it wouldn't have helped with those rolls.
<Berlin> noooo don't waste your +5 performance on this guy
<Meira> This isn't that performance, also I could always practice again
<Meira> Also, WE'RE DYING
<Valla> not technically true!
<McDohl> He will chug a potion, and becomes a wisp of smoke.
<Valla> that's cheating
<Meira> STUPID NINJAS ALWAYS CHEAT

Lucas
04-08-2012, 07:26 PM
TeenPirate Girl Squad vs The Ninja
Or, how Berlin decided she needs a bodyguard even though she's already the team tank.

Yes I know that completely ruins the actual joke of your subtitle.

Also, so happy Berlin finally got to learn last night how much she'd fetch as a slave.

Lucas
04-08-2012, 08:41 PM
ALRIGHT

If I decided to take Kariva from tanking and damage-from-obscene-numbers-of-attacks to more of a support role, I can use one of our whips we've got for tripping, disarming, etc. I'd have to give up one of her claw attacks and the bite would be weakened since it would become secondary to the whip attack, so that's 1 point of damage less and only +4 to hit instead of +9.

That would mean I could pretty much nix my claws evolution, because one claw attack isn't a whole lot. If I also give up the wings I've never actually used and two points of AC (meaning I would stay at 30 for at least another level), Kariva could become Large and Mountable, with large size doing all sorts of interesting things to my paperwork... and not being available until I hit level 8, now that I look at it.

Well.

Pffffffft.

Googleshng
04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Yes I know that completely ruins the actual joke of your subtitle.

Also, so happy Berlin finally got to learn last night how much she'd fetch as a slave.

A- How much?

B- Seriously, someone want to fill me in on what I missed last night? Was this MORE people trying to assassinate us because I denied them 5 gold? Was I just in a drunken coma the whole time, or shooting faces by proxie?

Solitayre
04-08-2012, 11:34 PM
I like Kariva doing a bazillion attacks per round since Inspire Courage gets stronger the more attacks we make per round. I am biased.

Lucas
04-09-2012, 01:29 AM
A- How much?

A thousand-ish. (Same for Meira, apparently.) Considering most of the slaves we saw being auctioned off were in bulk lots going for about fifty gold a head and the sailor Meira bought (then freed before even getting her to promise to work for us, though she is - remember guys, her name is Amelia) was all of 150, I'm not too disappointed.

B- Seriously, someone want to fill me in on what I missed last night? Was this MORE people trying to assassinate us because I denied them 5 gold? Was I just in a drunken coma the whole time, or shooting faces by proxie?

We went up the river to Lengarde in a pretty uneventful trip, letting off the guerrillas before we got to the city. Roxie stayed on board the ship with the rats while Aram walked around with the rest of us, wearing a slave bracelet to pose as our bodyguard (the one keyed to Roxie, so we could keep in contact, but as Aram both didn't like the ruse and was slowly being driven insane by whatever Roxie was drunk-thinking at him, this might have been a bad choice). We found out there's going to be a party in the castle soon for the crown prince's birthday, cleaned ourselves up, and Meira aced the audition to perform at the party and is getting Berlin, Valla, and Aram in as her crew.

After that we went to the slave market and Meira bought, freed, and hired a new sailor for the ship. We went back to the inn, where a ninja attacked us with throwing stars/knives and sleeping poisons only to drink a potion that turns him into mist and escape when Aram, Valla, and Meira proved too much for him. Berlin, having been on watch and failed both her "spot the shuriken flying at you" and "don't get knocked out in one shot by poison" rolls pretty badly, slept through the entire thing. The city watch said snide things about Aram's abilities as they took our statements and we leveled.

I went back to the market the next day and bought myself a gladiator bodyguard named Render, promising him that if he does his job he'll be a free man after four months (and that if he does his job well there'll be a permanent job offer for him after that) - Berlin isn't quite as touchy-feely as Meira. She's also not taking off Render's slave bracelet, because I expect the free telepathy with my bodyguard to be handy. Seriously, two-way telepathy over any distance, and they apparently just give them out with every slave. Maybe we should buy a bunch of bulk slaves, let them go free, and just keep the bracelets for talking to each other.

Anyway, that's all the high points I can remember. Next session: party time.

Destil
04-09-2012, 01:47 AM
Seriously, two-way telepathy over any distance, and they apparently just give them out with every slave. Maybe we should buy a bunch of bulk slaves, let them go free, and just keep the bracelets for talking to each other.For 50gp each in bulk? You could do a lot worse.

Lucas
04-09-2012, 02:04 AM
Even if they only put them on the more expensive slaves, at ~150 a pop they'd be worth getting one bracelet for everyone and connect them to one Mission Control-type character who can coordinate things (plus either way we'd have even more of a potential contact network/workforce of grateful releasees - so far the entire crew is all escaped/mutinied/freed slaves, and I don't see that changing any time soon).

Having everyone in the crew marked as slaves might be problematic, so we should maybe see about wearing these things as anklets/under clothes.

Solitayre
04-09-2012, 02:43 AM
The irony is, in universe these bracelets are a horrible symbol of oppression. They're a tool to bend slaves to their master's wills, and can be used to inflict agonizing pain to the wearer at the owner's behest if a slave gives any lip. The two-way telepathy wasn't even a feature initially.

At this point, we've pretty much disregarded their use as tools of oppression and mostly use them for communication purposes. Hell, we have one that originally was used by a major villain we haven't met yet and I considered putting it on, knowingly putting myself at his mercy, just to chat with the guy.

Googleshng
04-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Roxie stayed on board the ship with the rats while Aram walked around with the rest of us, wearing a slave bracelet to pose as our bodyguard (the one keyed to Roxie, so we could keep in contact, but as Aram both didn't like the ruse and was slowly being driven insane by whatever Roxie was drunk-thinking at him, this might have been a bad choice).

I don't see what could be insanity driving about "Bring me more free booze!" "Tell me how incredibly awesome and hot I am!" and possibly the odd "Take your shirt off and dance around a bit!" except, perhaps, the amount of repetition involved.

The irony is, in universe these bracelets are a horrible symbol of oppression. They're a tool to bend slaves to their master's wills, and can be used to inflict agonizing pain to the wearer at the owner's behest if a slave gives any lip. The two-way telepathy wasn't even a feature initially.

At this point, we've pretty much disregarded their use as tools of oppression and mostly use them for communication purposes. Hell, we have one that originally was used by a major villain we haven't met yet and I considered putting it on, knowingly putting myself at his mercy, just to chat with the guy.

... and the rest of us have all been talking about what a terrible idea that is, out of character, but keep waiting for you to do it just to see how horrible it turns out to be.

Repurposing evil oppressive stuff is the most fun part of overthrowing evil regimes though, that much is perfectly sensible.

Mogri
04-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Edit: By the way, hours later I'm still laughing at Mogri's casual "circumstance penalty for being the bard."

I have to provide context here, because although I'm sure this is amusing out of context, it's better with. It went something like this:

<Meira> I'll take the bracelet from Aram and contact Roxie
<@McDohl> "What? Meira? Why are you here? What's going on?"
<Meira> I'll tell Roxie about the ninja and tell her that I defeated him singlehandedly and saved everyone
<Meira> let me roll bluff for that
<Meira> .roll 1d20+2
<Dice> Meira: you rolled 16+2 = 18
<Valla> circumstance penalty for being the bard
<@McDohl> "Haha, sure. Sounds like you had a good time."

Solitayre
04-09-2012, 02:13 PM
That's roughly the context, but my bluff is way higher than that. =(

Mogri
04-09-2012, 02:20 PM
That's roughly the context, but my bluff is way higher than that. =(

That's, like, just your opinion, man.

Lucas
04-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Sat down to stat up Render just now and realized I can't remember a damned thing about how we determined stats. Can someone remember that for me?

Mogri
04-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Pathfinder Point Buy. It's like regular point buy except you end up functionally crippled if you want an 18 in anything.

Lucas
04-11-2012, 05:47 PM
But how many points? Or should I just use the melee NPC stat array?

Googleshng
04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
But how many points? Or should I just use the melee NPC stat array?

Easy enough to work out by looking at my own sheet, since I went for an 18.

Solitayre
04-13-2012, 12:28 AM
I finally found a picture for Meira that I kinda like.

Hey googleshng, don't forget to level Roxie up.

Lucas
04-13-2012, 04:34 PM
So I couldn't find a picture I liked for Render in ten minutes of searching and just randomly determined his description, using the Maid color table for his eyes/hair. I ended up with a fairly tall, very heavy (from his bulging muscles, obviously) man with metallic eyes and grey hair.

Who fights with a cutlass.

And is a gladiator/bodyguard.

And could use a cutlass/shortsword combo pretty well depending on what feats I give him (which is the one step I have left).

So, um, yes (http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=808619).

Edit: Alright, Render's done: http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=34090. Now I just need to finish updating my actual character.

Solitayre
04-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Sorry, I don't recognize him. Forgive my ignorance, I've only ever watched three or so anime in my life.

Lucas
04-15-2012, 03:08 AM
On the bard interrogating a prisoner, the lash and mind-invading, body-killing slave bracelet at the ready:
<Roxie> "Hold's fine by me, Meira really seems keen on the whole thing anyway."
<Berlin> "I think she might have some issues to work out."
<Roxie> (says the person who eats people to the person who gets drunk and makes heads explode)

I feel like I should point out that in all my non-TT campaigns, I have never played anyone who would ever eat a sentient.

TirMcDohl
04-18-2012, 06:20 PM
I know it's kinda late in the game, but I'm feeling sorta fatigued. Would anyone mind if I took this weekend off to recharge my batteries?

Mogri
04-18-2012, 06:25 PM
I know it's kinda late in the game, but I'm feeling sorta fatigued. Would anyone mind if I took this weekend off to recharge my batteries?

That sounds excellent. I wasn't sure I was going to make this Saturday anyway.

Lucas
04-18-2012, 06:31 PM
No problem here.

Oh, I should mention that I have a thing on the weekend of May 5th that may go too long/make me lose enough sleep that I won't be able to play that night.

Googleshng
04-18-2012, 06:43 PM

Particularly in light of how long last week's session ran, I think you've easily banked yourself a vacation day or two here.

Solitayre
04-27-2012, 03:39 PM
So, in the interest of saving ourselves an hour or so tomorrow night, do we have any idea what our plans are now?

Cause I have some but they're mostly crazy.

Googleshng
04-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Hunting down that one gnome dude and demanding a refund, or at least store credit, for a turbo boost engine that was not properly installed.

Lucas
04-27-2012, 05:04 PM
I think you mean the creepy desert dwarf. Good luck finding them again.

Solitayre
04-27-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't think our insurance policy covers "attacked by ninjas."

Mogri
04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I knew we should've gotten the extended warranty!

Lucas
04-27-2012, 09:59 PM
We'll have to make sure our next insurance policy covers Acts of Dohl.

Solitayre
04-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Anyone care if I swipe 5k from the super special party fund?

Googleshng
04-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Anyone care if I swipe 5k from the super special party fund?

In-character, I have deep moral issues with the concept of loot being put to any use other than piling up along the sides of a throne room in some future cool-looking island stronghold, or being spent on awesome junk that can't be reasonably obtained otherwise... and even then, only at a discount.

Out-of-character though? We seriously seem to have way more cash than we need for anything at all practical, and the impractical stuff isn't really restricted by a lack of cash anyway. So yeah, knock yourself out if you really want something I say.

Red Silvers
04-30-2012, 09:30 PM
I have to say from what I've seen here it looks like a fun setting.

Solitayre
04-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Oh it's lots of fun, let me break it down for you.

We play a band of all-girl pirates who really don't do anything piratey.In fact, we're privateers and have beaten up several groups of pirates already. Everyone on our crew is a former slave.

The world consists of a progressive, democratic nation where we're from, and an oppressive evil empire to the north where apparently the only non-military jobs are slave, slaver, and dirt farmer.

Some of our accomplishments so far include turning two completely throwaway cannon fodder NPCs into important supporting characters, defeating the garrisoned forces in an occupied city through Les Miserable-style social disobedience and musical theatre (seriously) and getting invited to a prince's birthday party where Googleshng shot the main villain in the head.

Somewhere along the way our group got tagged by a mysterious god-creature called the Phoenix and are apparently now divine agents or something. It doesn't tend to get us far in conversations when I tell people my goddess keeps telling me to kill people, though.

We can't go outside without getting jumped by ninjas who want to sell us to the highest bidder. I am pretty sure I made a prince fall in love with me by rolling an astoundingly high perform check. Right now, we're about to fight people who we are pretty sure are the dwarven mafia.

tl;dr this campaign is awesome.

Mogri
04-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Googleshng shot the main villain in the head.

He got better.

Psst, Sol, what are you gonna do with megabux?

Red Silvers
04-30-2012, 10:18 PM
tl;dr this campaign is awesome.

Sounds like it.

Solitayre
05-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Psst, Sol, what are you gonna do with megabux?

Belt of Dexterity.

I only needed 3100 for it. I was considering buying an Efficient Quiver (1800) but decided against it since it only save me a few pounds of encumbrance. Roxie might want to consider one though since she can barely carry pocket change.

Googleshng
05-01-2012, 02:28 AM
Belt of Dexterity.

I only needed 3100 for it. I was considering buying an Efficient Quiver (1800) but decided against it since it only save me a few pounds of encumbrance. Roxie might want to consider one though since she can barely carry pocket change.

Yeah... you don't seem to appreciate just how low my carrying capacity is. The 2 lbs. the quiver itself weighs would put me into medium load territory, and honestly, the only things I ever carry that can be put away are a gunsmithing kit and spyglass anyway.

If I'm going to ever carry anything but the clothes on my back, I'm going to have to ditch... the clothes on my back. The guns and the mythril shirt alone eat basically my whole weight capacity.

Interesting side note while you're bringing up dex belts though, next level I actually cap out the max dex on said shirt, which will cap my AC out pretty well. Getting a dex boosting belt myself would be nice for being even more stupidly accurate, but to wouldn't be any help at all AC wise, and there really isn't any lighter armor to switch to (padded only saves 2.5 lbs, drops my AC more than it raises the dex cap). However, at level 16, with a +6 dex belt, I will officially be at that magical point where I am exactly as well off with my current armor or running around with nothing at all. That'd free up a whole 11.5 lbs. which would be able to cover a handy haversack with enough left over for the actual clothes I currently don't actually have the weight capacity to put on under yon armor. So that's something to strive for.

Alternatively, I could get me one of them str boosting belts and be able to carry a couple things that way, but screw that! Bleeding edge crazy low str for life!

Lucas
05-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Everyone on our crew is a former slave.

Or current, in Render's case.

Just, uh, no one tell the progressive democrats about that part.

Mogri
05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Belt of Dexterity.

I only needed 3100 for it.

How do you figure? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/belt-of-incredible-dexterity)

I could go for one of those myself <3

Solitayre
05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
How do you figure? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/belt-of-incredible-dexterity)

I could go for one of those myself <3

I had 900 gold on me already!

Also, google, you can store weapons in an Efficient Quiver, so it would save you some encumbrance overall.

Solitayre
05-10-2012, 04:25 PM
dndsheets.net was suffering a bug for the last week or so where the sheets weren't storing the proper number of variables and sheets were getting cut off. I I told the administrator about the bug and she fixed it, but if you updated your sheet recently you should check it to see if you need to fix any data that got blanked.

Lucas
05-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Well, so far this week I've dropped out of my three other campaigns thanks to my new shift at work. I think I can still make it to this one just because it's the weekend, but we'll have to see.

TirMcDohl
05-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Yeesh. Should I look in to canvassing for a replacement, then?

Lucas
05-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Rassum frassum... maybe you'll have to look for a replacement just because of my stupid internet connection....

Mogri
05-14-2012, 11:07 AM
You can't replace out! If you do, Dohl will have to find a plausible way to off Berlin but not the entire rest of the party, which you just know won't be easy, and then he won't ever allow another synthesist.

TirMcDohl
05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
>:3
character minimum

Solitayre
05-15-2012, 09:40 PM
You can't replace out! If you do, Dohl will have to find a plausible way to off Berlin but not the entire rest of the party, which you just know won't be easy, and then he won't ever allow another synthesist.

Actually Berlin is pretty easy to kill in her normal form.

...Maybe I should stop giving the GM ideas.

Lucas
05-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah, but you'd have to make sure you killed her before she could cast Summon Eidolon, which possibly means dealing with whatever she summons to distract you while casting that. Or only attack after she's somehow been convinced to spend all those spell charges for the day. Or just use a swarm, like very first thing we fought, which almost killed Berlin in a few rounds. Screw autodamage attacks.

But seriously, my personal favorite way to write Berlin out of the game? Mental breakdown when someone convinces her that the ghost snake who has been talking to her and trying to convince her to consume all life isn't real and it's been just her this whole time.

Solitayre
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah, but you'd have to make sure you killed her before she could cast Summon Eidolon, which possibly means dealing with whatever she summons to distract you while casting that. Or only attack after she's somehow been convinced to spend all those spell charges for the day. Or just use a swarm, like very first thing we fought, which almost killed Berlin in a few rounds. Screw autodamage attacks.

Or, be a ninja and sneak attack her with knock-out poison.

Mogri
05-16-2012, 10:03 AM
But you're forgetting the other half of the equation: it also needs to be something that won't TPK.

Solitayre
05-18-2012, 09:33 PM
As promised.

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/4474/locker/TTAramToken.PNGhttp://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/4474/locker/TTRenderToken.PNG

Mogri
05-19-2012, 11:54 AM
It's another 60-hour work week. I don't think I'll be able to make it tonight.

The good news? I'm a contractor, so I'm making bank. Seriously, I don't think I'm ever going salaried again if I can help it.

Lucas
05-19-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm considering having Berlin play nice with Professor Jerrath just to see if anything comes of it down the line, but... it's hard to see Berlin actually doing that.

Also, I would totally want to play some kind of psion if Berlin were to ever bite it, if that's even possible.

Solitayre
05-20-2012, 06:18 PM
After you left, we interrogated the thugs about Valon's whereabouts. They wouldn't talk, so Roxie shot one of them in the kneecap. It was awesome.

Googleshng
05-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I actually got a critical hit shooting him in the kneecap. Good thing I specified beforehand that I wasn't going for any permanent damage.

Mogri
05-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Is this a thing that is happening tonight? For the first week in I don't know how long, I only worked 45 hours!

TirMcDohl
05-26-2012, 04:12 PM
This thing is most definitely happening tonight. See you in #dohlgame!

Solitayre
05-27-2012, 08:45 PM
So at the end of the session last night we were approached by a pirate captain who told us about a lawless pirate nation that wanted us to join them. He not so thinly implied that refusing to join would make them angry and want to kill us.

Given our general proclivities have been more towards killing pirates than being pirates, we're thinking these guys might actually have it out for us, or will in the future if they find out we're privateers.

Thoughts on how to proceed? Dohl wanted us to have something hashed out before next time.

Mogri
05-27-2012, 08:58 PM
What does joining entail?

What does stabbing this guy dead entail?

Solitayre
05-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Not sure!

Joining would probably make us beholden to their criminal enterprises, and if they're slave runners Meira would be all like "%^& that noise."

Stabbing dude dead would mean a fight with him and his crew and probably a fleet of angry pirates coming after us in the near future.

Roxie and I were leaning towards following him to his secret pirate island to see what the score was, with the assumption being that we could always beat them up/sink their ships/ outrun them with our turbo boost if things turn ugly.

Lucas
05-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Maybe they need someone to "take care of" all the pirates who aren't falling in line.

Mogri
05-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Get them mad, then figure out a way to get the pirates and ninjas to fight each other. Two birds, one stone.

Solitayre
05-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Get them mad, then figure out a way to get the pirates and ninjas to fight each other. Two birds, one stone.

I like this idea. We need to make this happen somehow.

Solitayre
06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Have to work tomorrow night. Probably not going to make it. If I do, it won't be until a few hours after we start.

Re: pirates, I'll go along with whatever you guys decide.

Googleshng
06-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Not sure!

Joining would probably make us beholden to their criminal enterprises, and if they're slave runners Meira would be all like "%^& that noise."

Stabbing dude dead would mean a fight with him and his crew and probably a fleet of angry pirates coming after us in the near future.

Roxie and I were leaning towards following him to his secret pirate island to see what the score was, with the assumption being that we could always beat them up/sink their ships/ outrun them with our turbo boost if things turn ugly.

Yeah, my actually take on it was that there are probably a bunch of pirates who want to kill us for various well-justified reasons.

If we turn down their offer, they'll come looking for us while we're doing something else and spread all over and not all on the ship and that won't go so well.

If we do go though, well, it's a nice clean straight-up fight we're fully prepared for. Plus we totally get a free Hidden Pirate Island when we win.

And on the off chance they're actually on the level, well, all the more reason to check it out. Big crazy party on Hidden Pirate Island and all.

Lucas
06-01-2012, 06:23 PM
I've always said the best thing to do with a trap is to trigger it.

Solitayre
06-01-2012, 08:07 PM
If you guys do get into a fight feel free to assume Meira is singing in the background. Or use her buffs/infinite ammo glitch too if you want.

Solitayre
06-04-2012, 11:28 AM
I need a pick a level 3 spell you guys!

Some candidates:

Haste: Berlin already has this, but Meira can probably make better use of it.

Summon Monster III: Again, Nothing Berlin can't do better but its hard to have too many pets. I might want to hold out for the level 4 version though.

Cure Serious Wounds: Practical, but boring!

Arcane Concordance:
link (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpaizo.com%2FpathfinderRPG%2Fprd%2 Fadvanced%2Fspells%2FarcaneConcordance.html&ei=vf3MT7q4GuHy0gG80pVh&usg=AFQjCNHoN20o-yntrWflU8tP0eF0EkTBqQ&sig2=o96kpjkwSbpIFZNFY8PdQg)

This is a very cool spell that lets you apply metamagic feats to other spells. sounds pretty powerful, not sure how much mileage our group can get out of it, but I think I want it eventually.

Thunderous Drums: Cone of 5d8 sonic and knocks targets prone. Sounds fun.

Lucas
06-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Oh megaballs, I'm supposed to level up before tomorrow's game, aren't I?

Solitayre
06-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Let me know if you want to collaborate on anything like spell lists or what not.

Lucas
06-09-2012, 10:47 AM
I went with Mad Monkeys for my spell, since a swarm is like getting 20+ pets in one shot.

All I need to do is roll up a new hit die for Berlin before we start and I think I'm good.

Mogri
06-09-2012, 05:18 PM
I might be a bit late tonight. Doing a grocery run.

Lucas
06-11-2012, 12:28 PM
There is a chance I will be going to an anime con in LA this Saturday, so I might be forced to give this week's game a miss.

TirMcDohl
06-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Good, because I will be working the next nine days straight (for a 4-day weekend on the tail end, wooooo!), so no game this weekend.

TirMcDohl
06-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Guys, I hate to do this to you, but chances are high for no game this week either. The long of it can be found in my post in Random Discontent, but the short of it is I am spending the night with my father whom I have not seen in many years.

Googleshng
06-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Guys, I hate to do this to you, but chances are high for no game this week either. The long of it can be found in my post in Random Discontent, but the short of it is I am spending the night with my father whom I have not seen in many years.

Yeah, I figured as much from reading that. Don't worry about me. I'll keep myself busy with the other 4 Pathfinder games I have going on weekends.

... Dear gods, how can I actually say that and not be joking?

Lucas
06-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I'm sure I'll be able to keep myself busy with Skyrim, or LoL, or even just going to bed at a reasonable hour.

Mogri
06-23-2012, 08:41 AM
I am spending the night with my father whom I have not seen in many years.

Dude, don't apologize for this.

TirMcDohl
06-23-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm back in El Paso, and my internet's back up. So, instead of regular game tonight, if you're available, I'll be in #dohlgame tonight for sort of a "State of the Game" town-hall type discussion.

Have you been enjoying the game? What do you like about it? How can I do things better? Anything you'd like to see?

Regarding the situation, I'm feeling much better, and can totally upgrade the thing with my father from "Discontent" to "Content".

Googleshng
06-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Glad to hear it!

Lucas
06-24-2012, 09:57 AM
[20:58] <Googleshng> by the way, I just kinda have to say it
[20:58] <Googleshng> "I'm sick of this overpowered character. I'm going to make a psionicist instead!"
[20:58] <Lucas> ssshhhh

I haven't even picked out a name or a set of standard powers for my backup character yet but I'm totally ready to heal the shit out of some people, should she ever be called upon.

Also, vitalists don't get a lot of powers at once but they do get to change what powers they know every day. That is crazy.

I was thinking about the question of equipment too. If I do go with the story of her being a slave (you know, just to keep in the theme for the party) for most of her life - literally right up to when she joins the party and possibly beyond, depending on the circumstances - and thus not having any more possessions than she can carry or conceal on her body, that will make choosing equipment for her difficult... unless I do something crazy and RP-ish like taking Craft Wondrous Item instead of Speed of Thought, then declaring that she's been making herself little psionic doo-dads all this time.

Heck, in one more level she'd gain access to Incarnate and could theoretically start with permanent psionic buffs applied. They'd be really low-level and thus pretty limited, but I could do it, dammit. Plus, making a character whose "equipment" is mainly a bunch of enchantments rather than physical items would be fulfilling an old desire of mine too, which I could never pull off because of a campaign never lasting long enough to do so. Sort of like how it took Googleshng so long to find a GM gullible enough to let him play his half-orc paladin princess.

Solitayre
06-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Well if you wanted an RP-ish way for her to have a flail, could say she has a ball-and-chain she has/had to drag around.

Lucas
06-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I wasn't really planning to have her carry a flail, since between psionics and her health steal attack she'd probably never use it and it would be a rather significant part of her weight allowance, but damn I like the way you think.

ETA: And come to think of it, the weight issue would make it make more sense as a story thing! Not to mention that the disarm and trip abilities could possibly be useful too, even if the odds of her actually pulling them off are next to nil....

Lucas
06-30-2012, 08:40 PM
I've been trying to pick out a portrait for my alt. After sifting through a couple thousand pictures I picked out 33 I wanted to see as a portrait then narrowed them down to six five six (http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/gailan572/DnDSheets%20Portraits/) (and ignore the pictures of Berlin, Kariva, and Render), but now I'm having trouble narrowing it down any further.

The top two contenders, as far as I'm concerned, are Toph and Yellow Eyes-Leather Armor, but I figured I'd leave myself open to convincing.

Mogri
06-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Go with OoE Laura, bardiest of the bunch

TirMcDohl
06-30-2012, 10:05 PM
<Berlin> wait
<Berlin> wait wait wait
<Berlin> yes
<Berlin> my bite has reach
<Berlin> I still threaten out to 1-'
<Berlin> 10'
<Berlin> AoO for the spell?
<McDohl> Combat casting.
<Berlin> I can still hit him, he just gets a bonus to not lose his spell
<McDohl> 1d20+12
<McDohl> roll 1d20+12
* McDice --> "McDohl rolls 1d20+12 and gets 23."
<McDohl> okay go ahead and attack
<Berlin> roll d20+9
* McDice --> "Berlin rolls a d20+9 and gets 10."
<McDohl> pffffff
<Berlin> ...
<McDohl> Thaaaaaat's Dice!
<McDohl> *laugh track, roll credits*
<Berlin> have I rolled anyth
<Berlin> meant to delete that
<McDohl> heh
<McDohl> Okay
<McDohl> CMB or Escape artist for Render to get free
<Berlin> no, wait, I think I'm right - I haven't rolled anything but 1s tonight, have I?
<Berlin> not since the fight started
<Berlin> roll d20+8
* McDice --> "Berlin rolls a d20+8 and gets 28."
<McDohl> lol
<McDohl> He's free
<Meira> hahahaha
<Berlin> one of these days, Dice, one of these days....

Lucas
06-30-2012, 10:07 PM
And before anyone points out my rampant typoing, I'm going to point out it's about five hours past my bedtime.

Go with OoE Laura, bardiest of the bunch

You're right, she is pretty bard-y. I don't know how she made it into the finals like that.

Googleshng
07-01-2012, 01:53 AM
You know what would have been awesome in retrospect? If I'd gone with a hunch and spent my last grit point on that one deal where I fire off a full round's worth of shots and their damage is all totaled together before applying DR.

Solitayre
07-01-2012, 07:38 AM
I think last night proved that our lack of a Belmont is our group's true Achilles' heel.

Lucas
07-01-2012, 05:11 PM
So, any casualties last night after I left?

Solitayre
07-01-2012, 05:20 PM
After I set Roxie up with unlimited ammo she shot the vampire into submission and he flew off. I imagine we'll follow him in the next session. Roxie is forging some silver bullets so next time should go much differently.

Dohl told us later that Berlin forced him to lose an 8d8 fireball. That would have been messy.

Lucas
07-02-2012, 09:25 AM
That was his attempt to counterspell some of her buffs, I assume? He probably should have just burned us =I

Mogri
07-02-2012, 01:03 PM
To buy before next encounter:
- Vial of alchemical quicksilver
- Tinfoil hat

Solitayre
07-02-2012, 04:21 PM
That was his attempt to counterspell some of her buffs, I assume? He probably should have just burned us =I

No, he tried to cast the spell, but because Berlin threatened him with her reach attack, he had to make a Concentrate check. He failed and dropped the spell.

TirMcDohl
07-03-2012, 07:39 AM
No, when casting under melee combat, if you take damage, you have to make a caster check of DC 10+the damage you took. I took 13 damage from Berlin's AoO, that bypassed my DR from a magical source. I couldn't make the check, so the spell fizzled.

Lucas
07-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that.

That was awesome indeed.

TirMcDohl
07-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm really looking forward to the next session. This game has been a hell of a time playing, and I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.

Lucas
07-03-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm glad you're running it!

Googleshng
07-05-2012, 08:08 PM
So the Advanced Race Guide's contents were integrated into the SRD page today! In addition to the rules for building your own races, the proper fleshed out support for all the freaks, and filling in the annoying holes in the preferred class bonus matrix, there's new alternate racial traits, a bunch of race-specific feats, and even some new racially restricted class archetypes. Like Buccaneer:

Liquid Courage (Ex)

At 2nd level, a buccaneer gains the ability to fortify her grit with strong drink. The act of drinking is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, and each drink provides 1 grog point. Grog points can be used in place of grit points to fuel deeds or grit feats (including those requiring a minimum of 1 grit point to use). The buccaneer can gain a maximum number of grog points each day equal to her Constitution modifier (minimum 1), and they last for 1 hour or until used, whichever comes first. She gains a morale bonus on saves against fear and a dodge bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity equal to her current grog point total.

This ability replaces the nimble ability. (www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/human/buccaneer-gunslinger-human)

The main thing I use grit for is from the archetype I already have, but it was pretty seriously tempting to ask about retconning my character like crazy when I saw that.

TirMcDohl
07-06-2012, 09:23 AM
That is zany.

Red Silvers
07-06-2012, 11:31 AM
The entire book is pretty crazy, I haven't been able to read my entire copy yet but there's some good stuff.

Lucas
07-06-2012, 06:34 PM
In fleshing out my vitalist (who will probably be named Kylia, since that's the name that always pops into my head when I'm thinking of her) I'm finding she's rather Ardarvian, though whether that's just her outlook or her actual religion might depend on how willing McDohl is to allow kinky 4chan-created bondage goddesses into his world.

At the same time, I've been playing with another character concept: a vitalist/thrallherd who uses his damage-transferring powers to sacrifice his weaker followers for the sake of keeping himself and his powerful soulblade bodyguard alive in the middle of combat. It occurred to me that he'd actually be a perfect foil for Kylia, as his selfish use of his healing powers and cult-like followers would stand in stark contrast to her self-sacrificing healing and willing service. Toss him on a big boat staffed by his believers and he'd be a good reason for Kylia to look to serve on pirate ships.

Oh, and Google's revelation of the new content put on the SRD has me thinking of another alt already: ratfolk soulblade. Just picture the little dude flipping all over, tossing out soulblade kunai. Adorable!

Mogri
07-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Ratfolk might hit too close to home for some of our crewmates.

Lucas
07-06-2012, 06:59 PM
DONOVAN BAYER THE RAT SLAYER DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR PUNY HUMAN MENTAL TRAUMAS. hidden lowercase letters

Mogri
07-07-2012, 12:54 PM
My availability will be limited to none tonight due to my wife scheduling an impromptu date night. Sorry dudes :(

TirMcDohl
07-07-2012, 03:49 PM
My availability will be limited to none tonight due to my wife scheduling an impromptu date night. Sorry dudes :(

You're supposed to say, "No, cupcake! I have to be home tonight so I can pretend to be a pirate woman with other guys pretending to be pirate women on the internet!"

That said, I hope you two have a good time.

EDIT: You should totally say that. The Sexy Times that will follow will be legendary.

TirMcDohl
07-07-2012, 06:09 PM
* McDice (~McDice@cpe-70-120-184-135.elp.res.rr.com) has joined #dohlgame
<McDice> Hiiiiiiiiii guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys
<McDice> want lots of 1s toniiiiiiiiight?
<Berlin> he's still yawning and rubbing the grit out of his eyes
<Berlin> roll 1d20+16
* McDice --> "Berlin rolls 1d20+16 and gets 17."
<Meira> roll 1d20+12 Arcana
* McDice --> "Meira rolls 1d20+12 Arcana and gets 20."

Dice continues to hate Berlin. :D

Lucas
07-07-2012, 06:23 PM
And yet Berlin lives.

Edit: Technically still alive! But I do kind of need to pick some Expanded Knowledge powers and equipment for Kylia this week....

Googleshng
07-08-2012, 02:03 AM
So! Since the rest of you all stood around there and just kinda watched as Roxie got level drained to death by a vampire, and didn't drag her corpse off to be raised, and didn't take away her super snazzy guns, you're all totally going to be murdered by Super Evil Vengeful Vampire Pirate Captain Roxie who's going to reclaim the ship and make you all her subservient vampire minions.

Oh, and also I need to make a new character to hang out with everyone in the meantime!

After putting some amount of thought in it, I decided that rather than make another totally awesome nigh-invincible damage dealer of doom, I'm going to try a maestro-blooded tattooed sorceress mermaid!

It's less terrible than it sounds. There's an alt racial trait to have a mutant tail suitable for land travel (15'), and the crazy tattoo bit is handy for sharing groovy magic perks with everyone else in addition to being a full-on arcane caster type.

Plus, hey, kinda fits the whole tongue-in-cheek trashy image of the party.

If you'd like to talk me out of this, and possibly into the whole Iron Fish thing instead, speak up now.

Lucas
07-08-2012, 07:14 AM
I was totally going to have Blinky cremate Roxie if Berlin had pulled off even a round or two of her own actions in the PM RP after everyone else retreated, but her will saves went downhill fast. (Also, did the session go on much longer after I had to drop out?) (Also also, not it on telling Mogri what happened.)

Speaking of Tattooed Sorceresses, I was thinking of giving Kylia Scribe Tattoo myself but wasn't sure how interesting people would find tattoos from the Vitalist power list (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/power-list-vitalist). I hadn't considered the whole trashiness aspect of it though. That might make it a bit more appealing.

My level 9 Expanded Knowledge bonus feat is almost certainly going to be Inflict Pain - it's a decent debuff power that fits the healer-y character type, though I think I'll ask if I can choose to cause pleasure with it, for flavor reasons. I'm trying to decide whether I want to replace my current Speed of Thought feat with another Expanded Knowledge to be able to summon Astral Constructs. Actually, in that case I may give up Psionic Dodge for Boost Construct. (The important thing is taking [Psionic] feats to max Psionic Body's HP boost.) Or if people want me to not take Scribe Tattoo that would free up a feat slot and I wouldn't be replacing so many of the ones already on my character sheet.

If people are willing to make an impassioned plea for some other Expanded Knowledge power (or I guess just a "Dear lord, please not another summoning character" plea) I'd consider it.

Of course, most of this post is assuming the new characters will be joining at level 9, not 8.

Googleshng
07-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Waaaiiit a second!
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/_/rsrc/1300995282549/images/3rdParty.png

Thought we had a Paizo stuff only rule going on for this campaign?

Anyway, as far as the tattoo feat goes, it seems like kind of a waste to me. I mean, it's basically the same exact thing as Scribe Scroll, except the results are non-transferable and cost 4 times as much to make.

I'm honestly not even sure it's worth it to get the free ones from this sorc variant I'm considering really, and I'm only even considering it for flavor's sake.

Lucas
07-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Waaaiiit a second!
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/_/rsrc/1300995282549/images/3rdParty.png

Thought we had a Paizo stuff only rule going on for this campaign?

The GM started it!

As to tattoo, they're totally transferable:

As a standard action, the wearer can will the tattoo to move to a different part of his body or onto the skin of any willing (or unconscious) living creature he touches.

The price formula and the purpose of psionic are both equivalent to potions, really, except for the whole "3rd level power or lower" and "always takes a day" limits of the tats.

Of course, whether it's worth it to be able to scribe vitalist powers is a whole other question, especially with the whole trippy telepathy power network thing they get....

Solitayre
07-09-2012, 12:02 PM
How to irritate your GM

Part 1 of 5 by Solitayre

-Cast Glitterdust on his vampires.

TirMcDohl
07-09-2012, 12:21 PM
God damn it will Stephanie Meyer jus stay the fuck out of other people's fiction?!

Mogri
07-09-2012, 01:47 PM
So... when do I get an actual episode recap? All I know is Roxie reached level 0 and Berlin took a little trip. A few more details would be dandy!

Solitayre
07-09-2012, 03:44 PM
We went after the vampire, as you saw, except it turned out there were three vampires instead of one. One of them was the pirate captain Liran.

Roxie challenged Liran to a duel and unloaded on him with silver bullets but lost momentum when her gun jammed. Eventually he hit her enough times that he drained all her levels, killing her. One of the other vampires forced a slave collar around Berlin's neck, but she managed to resist its effects for a few rounds.

Meira flipped out when Roxie died and got hijacked by the crazy bird goddess Phoenix. She blew Liran up, but passed out. Berlin told Aram that Meira was the new captain and to carry her to safety right before the slave collar subverted her mind.

So one party member was killed by a vampire and another was forced into magically-binding slavery. Basically, the door is open for our two most dangerous members to come back into the story as enemies.

I'd like to propose renaming the ship "The Sea Snake" in honor of Berlin's sacrifice. Maybe we can name our mansion after Roxie. Maybe install a bar. She'd have liked that, right?

Also, switching out the two "attack thirty times per round" fighters for mage types makes Bardsong go =(. Maybe we'd get more mileage out of Dirge of Doom from now on?

TirMcDohl
07-09-2012, 04:21 PM
What are you talking about? You only lost ONE "attack hundreds of times a turn" fighter this weekend! You lost a mage! We've always been at war with Delmar!

No, but seriously, Roxie and Berlin got BIG DAMN HEROES moments, and that's really the best way for a character to go out.

Googleshng
07-09-2012, 04:22 PM
So... when do I get an actual episode recap? All I know is Roxie reached level 0 and Berlin took a little trip. A few more details would be dandy!

Yeah sure. So OK, last week some vampire jerk comes on board the ship, and dominates half the party, and sends them to go get me out of bed, because vampires can't enter places without being invited and all, and killing me is obviously the goal here. So I just got up, stood in the doorway, and honestly without any real suspicion of anything being up besides some jerk getting me up in the middle of the night when I'd been drinking all day, I just kinda started pumping him full of bullets until he went all mist-form and ran, the jerk.

So! This week, we looked up vampire stuff, I made some silver bullets so I didn't have to deal with any lame DR, and we went poking around for caves and such Mr. Vampire might be hiding in. We find the captain who first told us about this place (which honestly seems like kind of a plot hole, because wasn't he inviting us over to swing the vote pro-war and hasn't this whole dead captains bit all been pro-war people?) Anyway, he says something about not liking sunlight, which is all the excuse I need to just kinda start going to town with silver bullets on him.

Meanwhile, his... what was it, 3? other vampire cronies he has, because turns out he's a cheating jerk like that, grapple everyone else because... this week McDohl took my advice on how to create a challenge for the party and they spend this whole time struggling, while I have this big personal showdown with the head vampire here.

He gets a couple lucky rolls and smacks me with 6 negative levels while I'm dealing with an annoying gun jam. He gives me a chance to give up but @#%$ that, I'm still plenty scary even when I'm dealing with a -6 to hit and HP in the teens. So I get him down to like, 2 HP, he gets another lucky punch, Meira's free enough to plink him to death, then she and Aram just run off instead of, you know, suicidally taking on the rest of these vampires, leaving Berlin to get slapped with one of those super-strength slave bracelets, and not even having the good sense to drag my corpse off with them, or at least swipe my crazy valuable loot.

And then people are all woohoo! We've got a new captain who isn't a borderline evil murderous drunk! Let's party and rename the ship after our poor pal Berlin who has to face the horrible fate of being kidnapped for a while!

So I mean... you really better all hope word of that doesn't get back to Evil Vampire Roxie, because hey, it's bad enough leaving someone to a fate worse than death and stealing her ship, but if you're going to be all rude and hurt her feelings too, that's just begging for a vengeful TPK.

On the off chance everyone isn't horribly killed though, I'm about halfway done with this here replacement character. Still not really sure if I should actually go through with the tattoo bit though. Basically here's what it boils down to.

Without the tattoo archetype:
- I get a ridiculously huge number of free dazes per day.
- I get free always-on Tongues.
- I basically get 2 extra feats.
- I get +1 to the DC of all language-dependent spells.

With the tattoo archetype:
- I get a sea turtle familiar that will probably spend 99% of its time as a tattoo because not a lot of situations call for needing a sea turtle roaming around.
- Once a day, I can poke someone else on the shoulder and give them a loaner spell, which... may or may not be really cool? Guess it'd mainly benefit Valla.
- I get this funky feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/varisian-tattoo) whose practical upshot is +1 caster level to all my bloodline spells, and one whole school.
- Whatever my favorite spell happens to be out of those, once a day I can cast it an extra time at an extra +1 level... although that may be a total wash if it doesn't get to benefit from the OTHER +1 CL most of my spells get from my bloodline whether I take this or not.

So basically it comes down to feats vs. loaner spells.

Also, hmm... I am feeling a little guilty with this character here, balance wise. Particularly if we're also losing Berlin for a healer. Because that's basically taking us from an off-kilter but balanced in its own way party of crazy consistent damage dealer, cheese-master backup fighter, absentee rogue, support caster, support grappler to... Valla being the only one in the party really at all able to kill stuff, with everyone else being a support caster... or in my case, a save-or-suck cheesemaster, which is close enough.

I'm not quite so far along with this yet that I can't scrap it and jump back to the monk idea if people would prefer. Just... sliding around on my belly at crazy speeds, doing handstands and whacking people in the face with my tail 4-7 times a round. Only reason I have not to do it is breaking the unspoken rule that everyone in the party has to use str as a dump stat and have high cha (well, that and how it is DAMN HARD to get decent monk stats with a pint buy system).

Also, McDohl- Am I right in assuming I can take standard level 9 starting cash here and blow it all on fancy stat jewelry and such?

And bah! Ninja'd while typing all that!

Meira flipped out when Roxie died and got hijacked by the crazy bird goddess Phoenix. She blew Liran up, but passed out.

Also, switching out the two "attack thirty times per round" fighters for mage types makes Bardsong go =(. Maybe we'd get more mileage out of Dirge of Doom from now on?

Oh right. It wasn't even a plink, it was a deus ex machina. Should I just go ahead and count this as one vote for Iron Fish?

I'd like to propose renaming the ship "The Sea Snake" in honor of Berlin's sacrifice. Maybe we can name our mansion after Roxie. Maybe install a bar. She'd have liked that, right?

I already twisted arms to have that done last time we were in town if I recall. Lifetime supply of free booze too... so you know, that's more people who should be celebrating my death I guess.

TirMcDohl
07-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Also, McDohl- Am I right in assuming I can take standard level 9 starting cash here and blow it all on fancy stat jewelry and such?

Proceed.

Solitayre
07-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Hey, I didn't get any say in who's corpse got dragged out of that cave. =(
And I was serious about naming the manor after her! I remember it was her big dream to retire there with mountains of loot and hooch and all that.

Evil vampire Roxie sounds like a fun encounter though. I'm not sure she could TPK us because I think she'd run out of bullets first. Maybe.

I don't really have a preference for what you make. you should make what sounds fun and we'll probably discover all kinds of ways to synergize.

Lucas
07-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Also, hmm... I am feeling a little guilty with this character here, balance wise. Particularly if we're also losing Berlin for a healer. Because that's basically taking us from an off-kilter but balanced in its own way party of crazy consistent damage dealer, cheese-master backup fighter, absentee rogue, support caster, support grappler to... Valla being the only one in the party really at all able to kill stuff, with everyone else being a support caster... or in my case, a save-or-suck cheesemaster, which is close enough.

Yeah, the upcoming party composition is one big reason I'm planning to Expanded Knowledge my way to Astral Construct. Easily scalable expendable tank? Sure, I'll take one of those.

We could also actually take Render along on our little trips (heavy armor and dual-wielding +1 weapons!), but that would complicate fights even more.

Monk is fine with me, but if you go with the sorcerer still I'd go with the un-tattooed version.

What are you talking about? You only lost ONE "attack hundreds of times a turn" fighter this weekend! You lost a mage! We've always been at war with Delmar!

No, but seriously, Roxie and Berlin got BIG DAMN HEROES moments, and that's really the best way for a character to go out.

I love how Berlin's BIG DAMN HERO moment was trying to grapple Aram with her tiny gnome hands after dismissing her summon to screw up the vampirates' advantage of controlling the crazy snake monster. I feel like I should also point out that the main reason Berlin released Render at the end there was to deny an asset to the enemy, not really for Render's sake. You know, just in case anyone suspected different.

Oh yeah, I should look into equipment for Kylia....

Mogri
07-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Google: I took a feat that lets me coup de grace anyone who's stunned or cowering. If you can make people stunned or cowering, then it's hooray happy free kill times. If that doesn't figure into your build, don't sweat it.

Solitayre
07-09-2012, 09:30 PM
I can make people stunned or cowering! : D

Mogri
07-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Make it so.

(says the first mate to the captain)

Solitayre
07-09-2012, 10:25 PM
It's still weird for me to be the Captain. I was pretty okay with Roxie being the captain.

If vampire Roxie shows up and wants her ship back, Meira would probably just give it to her.

Mogri
07-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Hey, good point -- why does vampire Roxie have to be vengeful? We could totally have her as captain still.

Solitayre
07-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Well, we did kind of leave her for dead...

Googleshng
07-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Hey, good point -- why does vampire Roxie have to be vengeful? We could totally have her as captain still.

Well, to be fair, regular Roxie was already pretty vengeful, and vampires I believe just kinda inherently become chaotic evil (which, admittedly, isn't a PARTICULARLY big alignment shift in this case).

That said, smoothing things over MIGHT be possible with a sufficient offering of booze and cash and everyone saying they're sorry. Particularly since while you didn't yoink the corpse, you also didn't yoink the guns or cool hat.

Although apparently that's the GM's call at some point. I'm just over here deciding whether this fish girl is going to go around mind controlling people or doing handstands to repeatedly smack them upside the head with her tail before doing crazy Mario Sunshine belly slides to the next one.

I'm probably just going to end up filling out two complete character sheets and maybe toss a coin or something.

Mogri
07-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Maybe we can get the GM to fiat this one into an unfortunate case of two people occupying the same body. From time to time, the other personality becomes dominant and you shapeshift into the other character. Throw in a sidequest to uncurse the characters so that they separate into their own bodies.

Solitayre
07-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Since google and Lucas' new characters are going to be swimming in coin, any thoughts on what to do with the giant group fund? Split it between the remaining PCs so they can keep pace, or upgrade gear to account for the change in party dynamic?

Mogri
07-11-2012, 06:07 PM
I could always stand to go shopping.

Googleshng
07-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Since google and Lucas' new characters are going to be swimming in coin, any thoughts on what to do with the giant group fund? Split it between the remaining PCs so they can keep pace, or upgrade gear to account for the change in party dynamic?

It's worth noting that I'd be significantly less dead had I not somehow gotten to level 9 without so much as a +1 weapon.

Also, a database error set me back on this replacement character making, and also inspired me to toss together a fancy shmancy auto-fill overkill spreadsheet character sheet. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlClSnxcaXuWdGk3b3Uxb3dOZGR0R1pobnpMZWJEU kE#gid=0)

Still needs a lot of work, and probably some redesigning of some kind (be honest, how ugly is the upper fluff?) but... it does everything dndsheets' and myth-weavers' do combined and like, 3 extra things so far! Plus constant auto-saving, which is pretty nice.

Red Silvers
07-11-2012, 07:39 PM
That's pretty handy, I like it.

Mogri
07-11-2012, 10:27 PM
a fancy shmancy auto-fill overkill spreadsheet character sheet. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlClSnxcaXuWdGk3b3Uxb3dOZGR0R1pobnpMZWJEU kE#gid=0)

Googs, I hate to burst your bubble, but... it's been done (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArH55ls3yTjodGs5aFdfdWIybnRPOVk1QnFLRTB1Q kE). (check out the skill plan tab for maximum geeky awesomeness)

Googleshng
07-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Googs, I hate to burst your bubble, but... it's been done (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArH55ls3yTjodGs5aFdfdWIybnRPOVk1QnFLRTB1Q kE). (check out the skill plan tab for maximum geeky awesomeness)

Oh, I'm sure it's been done. I have ideas in mind here though that should make it extra extra auto-filly though, and with no need to be switching tabs all over the place.

Also... guh! GUUUUH! I'm still on the fence (but starting to lean pretty heavily towards monk), and taking a look at the archetypes for them, and HOLY @#$% FLOWING MONK (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/flowing-monk) WOULD BE SO COMPLETELY PERFECT AND I DON'T EVEN MEAN FOR THE PUN except for this one little bit here:

Flowing Dodge (Ex)

At 3rd level, a flowing monk gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC for each enemy adjacent to him, up to a maximum bonus equal to his Wisdom modifier (minimum 1).

This ability replaces fast movement.

For someone in any normal race, that's actually a great deal, because you want to be surrounded anyway and be sure you can use your whole flurry and extra AC is great deal, and past the first 10 or 20 feet, you're never really going to need all that crazy bonus movement, but with a base speed of freaking 5' (or 15' with the mutant tail) that... kinda makes for a totally unplayable character.

Any chance of GM leniency on that one for the sake of having a slippery fish gal just flopping all over the place? Like say, killing slow fall instead of fast movement? Similar ability, fits the whole lack of friction angle?

If so, I'm actually totally finished (aside from HP rolls of course) with my replacement monk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=421829).

Highlights include:
- Not having to seriously rethink party strategy, by being both a Roxie style heavy hitter, AND having crazy Berlin style AC, but not quite as degenerate as either one (I could have gotten AC up around 35 if I REALLY wanted to though).
- A bunch of crazy abilities that let me just swirm around people as they try to hit me, causing them to puke, fall over, land behind me, hit either themselves/their friends (in a couple levels) instead of me, and then have me flop onto them and grapple. Mind you, I didn't say OR. All that goofiness can be done in response to 1 failed attack (assuming a bunch of failed saves and passed CMB checks):
- Not any slower than the rest of you!
- Seriously, I'm just incredibly amused by the mental image of a mermaid inchworming along in fast motion, slipping between people's legs, and having them miss and hit each other 3 Stooges style.
- Able to sing pretty frelling well!

Meanwhile, I haven't quite finished up the sorceress (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=420520) option, but the highlights there are:
- DC28 will save spells that just completely shut people down and remove them from combat entirely.
- Perform (Sing) +23
- Kinda will need to be carried by someone.

See, I'm mainly leaning towards the monk right now because I've had a high level sorc with nasty spell DCs before. An incredibly important plot boss (turns out it was my mother!) didn't get a turn, and had no chance to give out some important plot revelations, because the second I entered the room I smacked her with Overwhelming Grief and started laying in with coup de graces. It's just not sporting!

Solitayre
07-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Can mermaids even survive on land? That monk looks pretty awesome and hilarious. I just love "Floppity Fwap" as an attack name. My only quip, and it's a nit-picky one, is that Meira and Marina are pretty similar names.

For fun, I statted out an alternate character last night too. She's a sorceress, and while I admit she's not quite as scary as one with 28 DC will save spells, she is pretty powerful. Mainly because the backstory I wanted for her to have was to be an enchanter, so I gave her a couple crafting feats, including Craft Rod. And as a Fey Bloodline sorceress, she got Quicken Spell as a bonus feat. So she crafted a Rod of Quicken spell for herself. Harsh.

One thing I'd like to consider on the RP side is character motivations and why the new people are joining up. Are we keeping the motif of "everyone on the crew is a former slave?" Cause that's an easy way to bring new characters on board (they're slaves who we help free somehow.)

Mogri
07-12-2012, 10:24 AM
You do understand, though, that you will be swabbing the poop deck for the first few weeks months.

Lucas
07-12-2012, 12:05 PM
One thing I'd like to consider on the RP side is character motivations and why the new people are joining up. Are we keeping the motif of "everyone on the crew is a former slave?" Cause that's an easy way to bring new characters on board (they're salves who we help free somehow.)

Going by Kylia's tenuous backstory, she's a slave who could easily be bought from (or gifted to the party by) another pirate/privateer-type. Or perhaps her term of service to her current captain is ending and now she's looking for a new crew to whom she can devote herself?

Googleshng
07-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Can mermaids even survive on land? That monk looks pretty awesome and hilarious. I just love "Floppity Fwap" as an attack name. My only quip, and it's a nit-picky one, is that Meira and Marina are pretty similar names.

Amphibious: Merfolk are amphibious, but prefer not to spend long periods out of the water.

And yeah. I was thinking that when the name was first suggested. Could always find some kind of alternative aquatic pun name. Or just, you know, "Captain" vs. "Fishy" or something.

For fun, I statted out an alternate character last night too. She's a sorceress, and while I admit she's not quite as scary as one with 28 DC will save spells, she is pretty powerful. Mainly because the backstory I wanted for her to have was to be an enchanter, so I gave her a couple crafting feats, including Craft Rod. And as a Fey Bloodline sorceress, she got Quicken Spell as a bonus feat. So she crafted a Rod of Quicken spell for herself. Harsh.

Hmm... crafting items during character creation is an odd thing to do, really, still fun though!

One thing I'd like to consider on the RP side is character motivations and why the new people are joining up. Are we keeping the motif of "everyone on the crew is a former slave?" Cause that's an easy way to bring new characters on board (they're slaves who we help free somehow.)

Going by Kylia's tenuous backstory, she's a slave who could easily be bought from (or gifted to the party by) another pirate/privateer-type.

That sounds pretty good to me! For you anyway. It didn't occur to me until just now but even with a piratey sorta game, it actually is kinda hard to rationalize some mermaid with a bunch of fancy jewelry just kinda flopping onto the deck of a ship and joining the party, and the former slave angle is... kinda hard to work here since I'm either going with a character who's basically impossible to get hold of, or someone with access to a basically never fails dominate person sorta setup. Plus... who keeps a mermaid as a slave? It'd be totally impractical for anyone who isn't also a member of a traditionally underwater race.

I'm kinda reminded of the last time I had to bring a backup character into a game (which, come to think of it, was also a monk of fairly high level). The GM kinda planned this thing with the party having to come to my aid while I was surrounded by demodands... but then I just kinda totally tore through the whole pile of'em in the first round without taking a hit. So it turned into more of a "Hey, 'sup? You after these guys too?" sorta deal.

Lucas
07-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Plus... who keeps a mermaid as a slave?

Someone with a really bitchin' kiddy pool.

Anyway, short life and times of Kylia, written between bits of excitement in Dark Crusade:

Very young: Kylia is kidnapped from her home island by a cult that uses a massive ship as its home base, cult leader recognizes her power as something similar to his own.

Youth: Forced to work for the cult, Kylia uses her healing powers in distasteful ways to augment the cult leader's power.

Young adult: Kylia is captured by devotees of an odd demigoddess while with one of the cult's raiding teams; the paladins deprogram the cultists and teach Kylia that to serve is not wrong, but that evil lies in forcing others to do so. She spends several years among these Ardarvians learning their philosophies, and how to use her powers for the comfort of others rather than her aggrandizement.

Now: Kylia wanders the oceans searching for her former master so that she may bring him to justice. With signs of his evil few and far between, she finds it convenient to sell herself to (non-slaving) warships for a time, after ensuring the captains that her powers will be theirs to command but also that those same powers mean disrespecting or misusing her would be a bad idea.