PDA

View Full Version : Spare a (Dragon) Quarter

nadia
06-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm finally playing Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. I have yet to decide if I love it or hate it, but one thing's for sure, I must be a masochist because I can't stop playing it.

I think I'm slowly figuring things out, but I would like to know: What's the point of party EXP? I know it carries over when you die (and die and die), and it's a good way to "instantly" gain levels ... but if you die (again), won't your levels be reset anyway with nothing to really show for it?

Or do some of your stats remain, even if you're back to level 1?

Any other advice for a lowly Ranger?

Eusis
06-09-2007, 01:43 PM
I just used the party EXP to gain a few easy levels whenever I restarted or had to restart, as well as trying to even the characters out. That was pointless though since levels weren't consistently the same EXP for the three characters. You can also just build up a giant stock pile, level up everyone as much as possible, and blast through the game.

I'm about halfway through myself and would like to get around to beating it someday. I like how they /really/ tried for something unique here.

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 01:44 PM
If I recall correctly, you keep your skills. Party EXP is just to pad things out and reduce the pain of a SOL restart. It helps make it easier to get back to where you died, and gives you a better chance at getting further. God, I need to get back into this once I finish Gun and KHII.

nadia
06-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Aha. Sounds like an OCD gamer's wet dream. I will admit to loving the SOL system, though. And the combo-centric battle system. However, I can fully understand why this game didn't appeal to the whole world.

bobservo
06-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, Party XP is your "interest" from playing the game, in a way. You can save it up to achieve a 1/4 ratio playthrough when you start another game. Of course it'll probably take a lot of playthroughs to get that much.

ArugulaZ
06-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Capcom needs to be punched for bringing aspects of Dragon Quarter to Dead Rising. There's nothing I like more than to spend hours with a game, only to have all that progress reversed because I didn't follow the storyline closely enough! It's a crummy way to extend the life of a game if you ask me... rather than adding hours of gameplay to Dead Rising, it convinced me to stop playing it entirely.

JR

gamin
06-09-2007, 03:13 PM
This is probably one of my favorite games I've never gotten around to beating. I had gotten pretty far (I think) too, but then my roommate got a Viewtiful Joe demo disc and erased my saves.

I've tried to get back into it, but it really requires some focus and concentration, so I never get too far before getting sucked into a different game.

Vagrant Story was like that for me for a long time as well. But I finally started a new game of that and beat it a few weeks ago, so maybe there's hope in the future for Dragon Quarter.

I really enjoyed the simplicity of the story--that your goal is to go to the surface. It didn't seem quite as marred up in the Jrpg cliches as other Breath of Fire games.

nadia
06-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah, Party XP is your "interest" from playing the game, in a way. You can save it up to achieve a 1/4 ratio playthrough when you start another game. Of course it'll probably take a lot of playthroughs to get that much.

But if you die, do you lose your 1/4 ratio? (Not like anything's touching you at that level, anyway.)

I really enjoyed the simplicity of the story--that your goal is to go to the surface. It didn't seem quite as marred up in the Jrpg cliches as other Breath of Fire games.

I agree. There's a definite drive to get to the surface, but nobody's yelling in my ear about how they were molested by elves as a child.

I'm a little disappointed the "Clans" have been erased. Whatsherface the gun-toting furry is obviously some class of Woren, but everyone else seems to be a generic human (barring Ryu).

Coinspinner
06-09-2007, 06:05 PM
It sits on my shelf like a Siren with a sore throat.

Eusis
06-09-2007, 06:11 PM
But if you die, do you lose your 1/4 ratio? (Not like anything's touching you at that level, anyway.)
As far as I know, your ratio can't get lower, only higher. But I could be wrong, haven't beaten it once, let alone enough times to see what happens to the ratio.

admozan
06-09-2007, 06:44 PM
I never got past the first game in this series. I finished it but don't remember enjoying it enough to buy the sequels. Were they any good?

Coinspinner
06-09-2007, 07:10 PM
They are more or less generic JRPGs. My favorite generic JRPGs though. But you're not missing much.

Edit: Oh wait, you're missing Ershin. Here, have an Ershin. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/Coinspinner/Avatars/Breath_Of_Fire_4_Ershin.gif

nadia
06-09-2007, 08:38 PM
I remember really enjoying 2 for some crazy reason. The encounter rate was insane (made worse by the fact you had to make your way out of dungeons manually--no teleportation) and the translation was very much a textbook example of wtf.

Bonus fact, Woolsey translated the first game, and I guess a monkey dying of syphilis translated the second.

You also fought some kind of Jesus Dragon at the end.

I'm still irritated at the fact BOF II was re-released for the GBA without a re-translation.

I really enjoyed III, at least until the Journey of Grand Fuckery (aka the Desert of Death).

alexb
06-09-2007, 09:33 PM
I rather liked BoF4 for some reason. The interludes where you played as the emperor and took things apart singlehandedly that would have crushed your entire regular party were a lot of fun.

Eddie
06-09-2007, 10:40 PM
The game actually rewards you (quite substantially) for doing things quickly; You get more experience from an enemy battle from defeating them in the third round than you do the fourth for example, and even more if you can finish them off in the first, or with your first character if you're strong enough.

Therefore, using party XP isn't really a waste when you restart the game; The first parts of the game where you breeze through enemies will more then make up for the XP you spent to do so.

My only real complaint about BOF: DQ is that they didn't change the script to accomidate your new D-Ratio, which would have been an awesome touch. Instead, you get say, a 1/16 ratio and Bosch and everyone is still saying "Only a 1/16 ratio? Geez, you're lame!"

- Eddie

Eusis
06-09-2007, 11:20 PM
They'd probably have to change the game too much all around to accommodate it. Still though, an alternate storyline as a reward for getting a high enough ratio? Ah well, I guess the SOL's a compromise. Plus there's hilarity in the 1/4 comments, I'm sure.

Coinspinner
06-09-2007, 11:24 PM
I guess I'm the only person who doesn't hate the desert? Where the directions wrong or something? I know I made it on my first try and went back for the items later on my first playthrough and on later playthroughs I used my own route.

Eusis
06-09-2007, 11:33 PM
I just got completely scared off by all the crap people were saying about the desert and didn't got through it in BoFIII. I'd like to actually beat it someday though, I really liked that installment for some reason. Didn't like IV too much, too many little things bugged the hell out of me. WHY IS THERE TILE BASED MOVEMENT?

Loki
06-09-2007, 11:54 PM
I like IV the best in the series.

Sure, Dragon Quarter is the best game. But IV just feels so subtle and nuanced. It's rare in the world of jrpgs for a game to set its sights a little lower than an end-of-the-world, globe spanning, quest for relics of power deal.

It's also got some great characters and it did that whole character swapping thing in battle before FFX.

gamin
06-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Of the small amounts I played of a friend's disc of Breath of Fire IV I really enjoyed. Great graphics, especially the sprite animations in battle. Large sprites, really well animated. The story seemed interesting, what with the ancient Emperor awakening and making a mess of the current empire. And, definitely, being able to play as him from time to time rocked.

nadia
06-10-2007, 06:23 AM
The Desert of Death is easy enough to get through with a walkthrough. It's quite close to the end of the game, actually.

I've never played BOF IV. I think I will.

I also just picked up Nina in BOF V. I know who's getting all that party exp I hoarded.

Deadguy2322
06-10-2007, 07:33 AM
The Desert of Death is easy enough to get through with a walkthrough. It's quite close to the end of the game, actually.

I've never played BOF IV. I think I will.

I also just picked up Nina in BOF V. I know who's getting all that party exp I hoarded.

She definitely needs at least a three-level boost when you get her, or she's toast in a fight.

RAC
06-10-2007, 10:17 AM
I wish Nina came with some of her direct damage spells. The trap spells are neat, but once you have some of the other magic she can survive for me on the restarts without a party XP transfusion.

I really liked BoF IV too. I may have to dig it out- I haven't played it in ages.

Loki
06-10-2007, 02:28 PM
A year or so back I was going to write an essay about how IV was the cumlination of jrpgs.

But then I thought better of it.

ozacrot
06-11-2007, 01:27 AM
I was stupid for BOF II at a point in time - you build a town! Pick the carpenter, and the tenants! One of them sells fish! - but upon more recent playthroughs, I've been unpleasantly surprised by the hideous encounter rate (and in numerous cases, ridiculous difficulty) as well as the interminable pace of the story.

BOF I had little of the second game's charm. It did, however, have Chun Li.

III was fun, but also very difficult. It also had the most engrossing fishing minigame I've ever played.

I got about two hours into IV, and then moved on to more pressing issues.

DQ's nice, though, isn't it?

nadia
06-11-2007, 05:10 AM
I think part of the reason BOF II fascinated me is because it was my first experience with a "KILL GOD" story, which we all now know are more plentiful than algae in the ocean.

But we're talking about the last generation of SNES games. You just didn't see things like that.

Dragon Quarter Question: When / how does Nina learn spells besides her G-flare traps?

RAC
06-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Someone with a memory less like swiss cheese can probably be more specific, but: not too much futher in, as I recall, and they'll mainly show up in treasure chests like the new attacks for Ryu should have been doing. I think they show up as item drops from some enemies too, but again I must plead swiss cheese brain.

estragon
06-11-2007, 08:59 AM
I like IV the best in the series.

[SNIP]

It's also got some great characters and it did that whole character swapping thing in battle before FFX.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't earlier BoF games also have the character swapping business in battle? I'm almost positive that the 1st game let you do this as well. Or maybe it was the 2nd? I don't remember, exactly.

In any case, that's the reason why I really like one of the two SNES BoF games. They were really generic, but having an 8 person party that you could swap out really appealed to me. And I liked the character designs.

Definitely one of the two SNES games did, though. I don't remember about the 3rd . . .

Loki
06-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Well. What do you know. I just poped in 1 to see if you were right and found out that you can change with your out of party members. I never knew you could do that. I guess 1 did have some small amount of innovation.

And as long as we're on the subject of the SNES games, did anyone ever understand the Dragon's Tear in 2 or what the colors ment?

spineshark
06-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Dragon Quarter Question: When / how does Nina learn spells besides her G-flare traps?
Two things you should be using a lot if you haven't: the ant colony and Steal. If I remember correctly, the ant colony eventually opens a skill shop where you can buy all sorts of skills, including spells for Nina. Steal is just...really good in this game. You can steal tons of money, junk items that sell for lots of money, lots of different skills...as long as you can afford to do without a more defensive skill, Steal is almost always your best bet, at least until you're on new game +.

nadia
06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
"Steal," I have, and it rocks. Ant Colony ... I'm not sure what that means, so I'm guessing I haven't stumbled upon it yet. Ryu only recently went into his first dragon tampon-rage or whatever it is. I used D-Breath and man did my D-Counter skyrocket.

And as long as we're on the subject of the SNES games, did anyone ever understand the Dragon's Tear in 2 or what the colors ment?

From dragon-tear.net:

Black = Character wants Ryu to die a horrible death.

Dark Red = Character intensely dislikes Ryu and is likely getting set to bust a cap in his ass.

Red = Character doesn't trust Ryu

Orange = Neutral

Yellow = Friendly. Most townspeople are yellow, except that instance with the Grand Church. That part actually freaked me out (maybe because I have recurring nightmares about trying to leave a place and being unable to).

Yellow-Green = Character supports Ryu and his move for great justice.

Emerald Green = Character would save Ryu's life.

Blue = Character would jump in front of a bus to save Ryu's life.

Rainbow = TRUE HARMONY (also Gay and Lesbian Alliance).

I would actually love a custom pendant shaped like the dragon tear. It's pretty.

RAC
06-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Ah, ant colony! Forgot that.

You won't get access to the ant colony for a while longer, but once you've got it you can visit the colony pretty easily, even after a restart. When you go to set things up you'll have a choice of what kinds of shops to set up, including shops designed to cater to each character.

And, yeah, D-Breath is murder on the D-Counter. The boost move is usually enough for me if I need heavy damage- it's relatively economical for the kick it gives to the the basic dragon attacks.

Squall
06-11-2007, 08:52 PM
So, despite the color-changing 'want to have gay sex with Ryu' pendant, what was the actual gameplay impact from it? That's what I never understood. BF2 was so full of things that felt incomplete...

spineshark
06-11-2007, 09:48 PM
"Steal," I have, and it rocks. Ant Colony ... I'm not sure what that means, so I'm guessing I haven't stumbled upon it yet. Ryu only recently went into his first dragon tampon-rage or whatever it is. I used D-Breath and man did my D-Counter skyrocket. Oh. I had the impression that you were further along for some reason. I'd just recommend being pretty thorough about things in general-I didn't use the ant colony much on my first playthrough, and I still regret it, three loops later.

At any rate, I wouldn't use D-Breath any more, but I wouldn't sweat things either-you'll have plenty of leeway, despite what everyone says about the game, starting over is definitely not required and I consider the fact that I did the result of a lot of unfortunate conicidences, haha.

nadia
06-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Hooray! Time to update everyone on my progress, because everyone cares!

Okay, this game ... I still don't know how I feel about it. It's probably the first RPG I've ever played where I'm hooked on the gameplay instead of the story or characters. The cast is really pretty dull, except for the weapon / items / appraisal girls. Every time I see them, they're hugging or otherwise touching each other, and maybe it's my imagination but they get closer together every time I see them.

-I completed that long, blank stretch of the game called "omg get through the Industrial Zone alive, boss battle boss battle boss battle." Not wanting to die and start over, I abused Ryu's power and now my D-Counter is at 60%. Ruh Roh. I see a "Restart" in my future.

-Having been away from a town for so long, I never got a chance to work on the ant colony. As a result, Nina's still stuck with some weak-ass level one spells. She has Fragball and Fireball, but I really want Fireblast or Iceblast. No success with "Steal", unfortunately.

-New weapons and armour are really expensive holy shit Jesus Christ. I pick up most of my arsenal from monsters. Will I die a horrible, naked death?

-Rin's awesome.

-What's with everyone's eyes? They're ... freaky.

Lakupo
06-20-2007, 02:00 AM
Whee, Dragon Quarter! I rented it a couple of years ago and had a blast, even though I didn't get far, but vowed to buy it at some point. A couple of months ago, I picked it up at Rhino (rest in peace!) for 8 bucks and tried to play it again... now, I have a big problem anyway with losing momentum with RPGs and having trouble getting back into them, but this game is... aaauuugh. It's brilliant, but it's just so heady and demanding of your brain. One wrong move and you're just about dead. Even with the guide (which I picked up for three bucks at a used bookstore! yay!), it's crazy. It didn't help that the first tough enemy I encountered after loading up my old save was a real doozy that got stronger when you used magic on it... and what did I do first turn? Use a bunch of magic on it! So it could wipe the floor with me! *thumbs up*

I think I'll have to restart to get momentum again. On the bright side, restarting in Dragon Quarter ain't so bad.

Speaking of restarting, Nadia, your counter's up to 60? Put all your stuff in the bank, walk proudly to your doom! Get as much cool crap as you can on your way!

nadia
06-20-2007, 03:48 PM
It's brilliant, but it's just so heady and demanding of your brain.

That sums up the game pretty well. Looking for a nice after-dinner RPG to wind down with? BOF: DQ should not your first choice.

Speaking of restarting, Nadia, your counter's up to 60? Put all your stuff in the bank, walk proudly to your doom! Get as much cool crap as you can on your way!

That's the plan! When I go to Hell, I'm taking a lot of Genics with me.

spineshark
06-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Hooray! Time to update everyone on my progress, because everyone cares!
...despite the fact that it took me a long time to respond to this, I do! I don't know of any other game that's so much fun to talk to people playing it the first time. I think it's because the experience isn't based around discreet moments like most RPGs, where you see a scene or whatever and it blows your mind, it's more like, there's a lot to discover in the gameplay itself, and not everybody's going to see it at the same place or time.
Okay, this game ... I still don't know how I feel about it. It's probably the first RPG I've ever played where I'm hooked on the gameplay instead of the story or characters. The cast is really pretty dull...
The plot isn't bad but it's definitely rather lacking in suspense or surprise. I think part of the problem is that the plot is more backstory than anything, and that most of that gets examined more in the replay scenes. It's not what I'd call a great plot, but the draw is mostly the gameplay.

And the soundtrack.
-I completed that long, blank stretch of the game called "omg get through the Industrial Zone alive, boss battle boss battle boss battle." Not wanting to die and start over, I abused Ryu's power and now my D-Counter is at 60%. Ruh Roh. I see a "Restart" in my future.
Just make sure you don't use scenario overlay from the "you are dead" screen.

And yes, the position you're in is not very hopeful for a first play. The final several bosses basically require D-Dive unless you're smarter than me which, while extremely likely in general, is probably not going to happen right away in this game. More importantly, there's actually a branch near the end, with one path being quite frustratingly more difficult than the other (which is no joke in the first place). Unless you're using a guide you can't know this ahead of time, which is frustrating and would probably mess you up anyway. If I'd been fortunate enough to get the easy one though, I would've finished the game first time with no restarts.
-New weapons and armour are really expensive holy shit Jesus Christ. I pick up most of my arsenal from monsters. Will I die a horrible, naked death?
It depends but:
a) the ant colony eventually makes money for you instead of making you spend it
b) when you're less sure what you're doing (aka first play) I wouldn't worry about not having huge cash to blow on good equipment. It's probably easier to buy healing items, which you can use to make up for the fact that you're taking more damage and healing less. Of course there are lots of free healing items in the game too (hit hychees [the worm things] with fire spells to make them drop bettter ones than they would by default), but you can never have enough...healing potions! Except they're not potions.
-Rin's awesome.
yes but does this mean you've been reading the manual? =(

Mightyblue
06-23-2007, 10:14 PM
I stopped reading Capcom manuals a long long time ago. Probably around X1 for the SNES. But I did leaf through the DQ manual when I got it and boy was I confused when I played the game the first time. That said, the last time I played through I was capable of blowing through the final bosses without D-Boosting. Absolute Barriers? Pah. Meant that I had a bit higher D-Counter at the end unlike had I decided to go the easy route and Dragon em to death.

nadia
06-24-2007, 04:57 PM
...despite the fact that it took me a long time to respond to this, I do! I don't know of any other game that's so much fun to talk to people playing it the first time.

I'm happy! ^___^ This is definitely the kind of game you want to use the Buddy System for.

I think part of the problem is that the plot is more backstory than anything, and that most of that gets examined more in the replay scenes.

Actually, yeah, you're right. I forgot that a lot of the plot is revealed through replays and re-replays.

Just make sure you don't use scenario overlay from the "you are dead" screen.

Better to use "Give Up," I'm assuming?

a) the ant colony eventually makes money for you instead of making you spend it

Yeah, I made a cafeteria and now all the little anties are going to the cafeteria. When does the bling start rolling in?

yes but does this mean you've been reading the manual? =(

I don't understand this reference. :(

RAC
06-24-2007, 05:16 PM

Yeah. The game gives you significantly more Party XP on restart if you choose to give up instead of getting wiped out or maxing out your D-Counter.

spineshark
06-25-2007, 02:12 AM
I'm happy! ^___^ This is definitely the kind of game you want to use the Buddy System for.
Well, I will say right now that I don't want to make any overreaching claims about my knowledge of this game. (I'd prefer not to come off as totally unreliable either, since unlike hordes of people who were raised on FF (I guess?) I didn't think this game was astoundingly hard, just well designed and balanced.) I also have access to someone who's planning to speedrun the game (and what's more, single-segment!) and somebody who's on his first play just a little ahead of you, so I know how to get answers. :P

Honestly I need to branch my knowledge of the game out a bit, because my completions have all very much revolved around blasting the hell out of enemies who annoy me rather than patiently figuring out how to fight them. In theory it works just fine as long as I'm playing on my own, but I do feel a little bad about the way it leaves my knowledge of the endgame.
Yeah, this got brought up. The amount you lose from restarting from Game Over is so sick that I can't really imagine what they were thinking. It's one thing to discourage the player and something else entirely to make them totally regret it.

Also, I have to totally echo the sentiments of "walking proudly to your doom!" Restarting is not a shame or anything, it's a part of the game, an excellent feature and it should be used. My friend played the game very cautiously and managed to finish the whole thing without restarting OR dying on his first playthrough, which is good for him and all...but it's also great to lay out some punishment and worry about the consequences later. ;) I wish more games had a somewhat optional system that both punishes and rewards the player for using it, like this one.
Yeah, I made a cafeteria and now all the little anties are going to the cafeteria. When does the bling start rolling in?
I'm not exactly sure because my experience with the colony is somewhat limited, and I really only built it up on the most recently completed loop of my main file. The thing is, prices are really high in this game, by design (the whole thing is meant to be quite restricting really). The most important thing you can do to make sure you're ahead of the curve is not to be high level or have the best equipment you see but to get all the in battle skills you can and design effective chains.

In fact one of the most important strategies, especially for Nina, is to carry three weapons with totally different skills. In Nina's case this would be putting Ice spells on one weapon, Lightning spells on one, and Fire on a third, which allows you to quickly swap in battle and adapt to an enemy's strength or weakness.

For Ryu and Lin, there are also elemental weapons which are quite powerful-in fact I'm sure you've seen them. However they're very limiting in terms of skill setting so it's not advisable to try to carry three elemental swords or guns. Usually I carry around the best elemental weapon for the situation, the best physical weapon I have for powerful chains, and a weapon set up with "utility" skills like Kick, Spiritcharge, Lin's knockback move that's name escapes me, etc. You can switch each character's weapon once each turn, so I recommend not trying to cram a "balanced" combination onto any given weapon and instead adapting as the situation may require. This is especially fun in Lin's case because she gets such insane variety (and range). If you don't have it already, I think the Sniper Scope becomes available in MidSector and it's quite a worthwhile purchase.
I don't understand this reference. :(
Oh, the manual from this game is widely regarded to be totally terrible and essentially useless. My copy didn't come with one since it was repeatedly used and originally a Blockbuster rental. I saw the manual in a store once, and I stopped reading and took their word for it...when I saw Lin's name engrished on a page introducing the characters.

Eddie
06-25-2007, 07:45 AM
So, despite the color-changing 'want to have gay sex with Ryu' pendant, what was the actual gameplay impact from it? That's what I never understood. BF2 was so full of things that felt incomplete...

Because no one answered it...

There are a few NPCs who are influenced by the affinity. There's one NPC you can get for your town called Yozo, and while he initially doesn't give you jack, constant revisiting and talking will raise his affinity to you, and eventually he'll give a character of yours 16 extra MP.

- Eddie

DarkBlueFlannel
06-25-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm really pleased to see people interested in this game even so long after it's release. It still manages to be one of my favorite games to this day.

I feel I should warn you, though, the game stops being an adventure after the first playthrough. The second time around you will feel the need to jump start Ryu with a bit of Party Experience at the very beginning so you can enjoy the irony of Bosch being the weak one. For the rest of your second playthrough you will hoard all your party experience and only use it begrudgingly if at all. You will fight half of the boss fights and D-Dive the rest. You will beat the game again and then decided you want a "really high" D-ratio. At this point you will playthrough the game using Zero Party Experience and D-Diving everything up until the very end where you will realize that you can fight the first of the trio of final boss battles, receive the party experience, and then revert to the save point just before said battle in order to repeat those steps again 300 times in order to get a theoretically large enough sum of Party Experience to obliterate everything in the game twice over with your level 99 characters.

I say theoretical because I never managed to repeat that battle 300 times. 1/4 is great, in theory, but all I have heard is it's just something to get for bragging rights and doesn't have any real advantages. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Still, a great game. It's like what would happen if someone took Akitoshi Kawazu's ideas and made a fun game out of them.

nadia
06-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Also, I have to totally echo the sentiments of "walking proudly to your doom!" Restarting is not a shame or anything, it's a part of the game, an excellent feature and it should be used. My friend played the game very cautiously and managed to finish the whole thing without restarting OR dying on his first playthrough, which is good for him and all...but it's also great to lay out some punishment and worry about the consequences later. I wish more games had a somewhat optional system that both punishes and rewards the player for using it, like this one.

Yeah, I beat the first Regent, then I restarted. XD My D-Counter was at 87% ... time to pack it in. I gave all my stuff to Momo Inventory Girl, sold off the rest, threw that in the Colony bank and went proudly to my burning funeral pyre.

The second playthrough is going far better (part of the reason I had such a hard time the first time around is because it took me a long time to get Fireblast, Iceblast or Lightning for Nina), and given the SOL, the story's making a lot more sense.

Oh, the manual from this game is widely regarded to be totally terrible and essentially useless. My copy didn't come with one since it was repeatedly used and originally a Blockbuster rental. I saw the manual in a store once, and I stopped reading and took their word for it...when I saw Lin's name engrished on a page introducing the characters.

Uh wow, I have no idea why I said "RIN." That's very odd, because I only consulted the manual on and off once I realised it was totally useless. This proves bad manual localisation worms its way into your ear while you sleep and it eats your brain.

I feel I should warn you, though, the game stops being an adventure after the first playthrough. The second time around you will feel the need to jump start Ryu with a bit of Party Experience at the very beginning so you can enjoy the irony of Bosch being the weak one. For the rest of your second playthrough you will hoard all your party experience and only use it begrudgingly if at all.

Yeah, I noticed I have almost two thousand XP hoarded up ... and I haven't used much of it. I don't know what I'm waiting for. I just feel hesitant to use it for some reason. D:

RAC
06-26-2007, 05:10 AM
For me, it was always the feeling that if I used the Party XP now, I'd need it next time. Of course, I drifted away from the game after enough playthroughs and next time never came. One of these days I'll have to check and see how much I actually had. Maybe even use it!

...or probably not.

DarkBlueFlannel
06-26-2007, 06:26 AM
I suppose it got sidetracked in that rambling monologue, but what I was trying to get across was this: At a certain point, when a player decides to get the 1/4 D-Ratio, they also realize that the game gets a lot slower.

When I finally stopped, for some reason, I was in this state:

D-Ratio: 1/1024
D-Counter: 39.00% (At the save point right before the end of the game)
Zenny: 17925 (much of it invested in the Ant Colony and inventory)
Party Exp: 412669
Retrys: 47
Clears: 2
Total Time: 68 hours and odd minutes

According to GameFaqs I'm nowhere near the amount of party exp needed to breeze through on the 1/4 run. But, I think I'll horde some more and do it anyway. Then I can tell everyone to call me Dave 1/4th.

Eddie
06-26-2007, 08:42 AM
I got to 1/16 before I stopped. The thing with 1/4 is that it requires more than just a high level; you've got to know the game inside out so you can hit every treasure chest, explore 100% of the map, never get into any battle you don't first initiate, plus make it to the end in under 2 hours or so.

Luckily the Ant Colony Dungeon doesn't count towards your final time...

- Eddie

spineshark
06-26-2007, 09:18 AM
I feel I should warn you, though, the game stops being an adventure after the first playthrough. The second time around you will feel the need to jump start Ryu with a bit of Party Experience at the very beginning so you can enjoy the irony of Bosch being the weak one. For the rest of your second playthrough you will hoard all your party experience and only use it begrudgingly if at all. You will fight half of the boss fights and D-Dive the rest. You will beat the game again and then decided you want a "really high" D-ratio.
While I can't deny that this is true, it's a complaint that can be leveled at almost any rpg (teaching the whole party Ultima in FF6 comes to mind) and many other games too. The only difference is that Dragon Quarter promises you *something* you haven't seen before for your efforts, but that's both a good and a bad thing.

Also you "only" get points for leveling to 50 as I recall. Just be glad you're not playing the European version...
1/4 is great, in theory, but all I have heard is it's just something to get for bragging rights and doesn't have any real advantages. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.
1/8 gets you some sword or something as I understand, as well as full access and all scenes, but 1/4 gives no advantages above that.

Crazy Larry
06-28-2007, 01:54 PM
I decided to replay and finally beat DQ thanks to this thread, after having gotten to the last series of battles when I first got it and never going further, and I'm amazed that I forgot, or more likely never noticed, all of the little things this game does right. Little stuff, like the way that equipment doesn't become outdated each time you find a new shop. Oh sure, you might find a better sword, or some better armor, but it's not because it's x amount stronger than your previous equipment. The weapons might be better because they have more open skill slots, or come equipped with some powerful skill that you don't have yet, or some other side effect, but rarely are better simply because they're more powerful, and when they are there's usually some downside. Likewise, themed equipment (like the ice armor you get before the Frozen Road dungeon), doesn't necessarily lose all purpose once outside the specific area it's designed for.

Likewise, I like how character strength isn't just based on stats, but on having a wide range of skills, and the AP to string them together into long, varied combo chains.

nadia
06-29-2007, 01:33 PM
I agree, Dragon Quarter is extremely well put together. I finally decided I love it, but I can also see why it wasn't adopted by the whole world. It does almost everything right, but I think it tried to instill too many changes at once to an impatient world.

I, too, like the fact equipment doesn't become outdated very quickly. You have to consider speed, movement and skill slotting. I love Lin's Sniper Scope because you can shoot just about anyone from anywhere, but then you get to decide if you want the trade off, which is very little variety in terms of skills.

Of course, you can carry more than one weapon, and your survival sometimes hinges on equipping the right weapon for the right battle. Most RPGs haven't evolved beyond, "Here is the sword you start with. Here is a shop that sells a sword that makes all your stats go up!"

DarkBlueFlannel
06-29-2007, 05:23 PM
It's distressing to think that DQ might be in the same pile of innovative Capcom franchises as MM Legends. Not enough expected earnings to merit the time needed to make another.

Indalecio
08-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I am a month late. Only heard about this thread recently.

A couple of tips for making money with the Ant Colony.

1)Build a bank. Eventually you'll be allowed to do Currency Exchange, and sometime after you'll be given an option to 'Trade Mils'. Check the price, if its low, buy as many as you can. Go back outside, fight 5 monsters, go back to the Any Colony, go back to the bank, and select the 'Trade Mils' option. The price should now be quite higher. Sell all your Mils. Fight another 5 monsters, and the price should now be low again. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Its very easy to get your zenny into the hundreds of millions this way.

2)Not so much a way of making money, but this will get you mulitiples of very valuable items. Build a lab. Choose to research new items. Go out, fight some monsters, come back. The first item your lab will produce is called 'Junk'. Its not particularly useful, and you can sell it for a pitiful amount. However the next item the lab will produce is something called 'Gold XP'. 'Gold XP' is something that increases the amount of XP by 5%. And they stack with each other, so having 20 'Gold XP', will net you an extra 100% of experience. But now your lab will start producing other items, and you don't really want that, so the best thing to do is convert the lab to something else, then switch back to a lab. Have it start researching items again, and it will again produce 'Junk' and then a 'Gold XP'. Whats best is you can have multiple labs working on this at once.

Destil
08-10-2007, 02:54 PM
I guess I'm the only person who doesn't hate the desert? Where the directions wrong or something? I know I made it on my first try and went back for the items later on my first playthrough and on later playthroughs I used my own route.I also don't hate the desert... I played BoF III on and off for a good 4 years to get there, and my save was erased in the next dungeon before I ever finshed the game. But the desert itself wasn't too bad (poorly designed and boring, granted), I got the extra items and everything.

Classic
08-11-2007, 12:11 AM
From my personal experience, after one or two pathetic deaths/Give-ups in the early stages, I managed to earn enough Party XP to get Ryu to level 10 off the bat.

Simply annihilate everything in his path (preferably in the first turn) using the slash, wide-slash, vert-slash combo. It served me well until pretty late in the game.

If you can do this, and play incredibly defensively with Nina and Lin's trap-techniques, you ought to have little trouble keeping your levels high enough to trounce just about everything but the regents.

For the record:

You're supposed to burn your D-Counter into the 30-40% range after that series of boss battles. That's why Ryu looks so horribly tired. He's supposed to be destroying all of them before they can react.

Your average regent should take 10% D-Ratio to defeat (1 to power up, 1.75 for the powerful two-hit attack, and 2-4 2.00% boosters to kick you up to an extra 100-400% damage).

Using about 10% on each boss fight puts you to around 90% or so by the endgame.

You can make most fights easier by spamming Nina's trap spells, and then using Lin's attract attack to pull the poor saps over the trap panels. If Lin and Nina can put a regent's shield down, clearly the battle will go much more easily.

Finally, be aggressive in the endgame. Go for broke. Sure, fighting with your own power is good and all, but the real final boss has a few tricks up its sleeve that will make you curse it pretty well. Don't underestimate it, and try to destroy it with one blow. Even if that one blow doesn't work, you ought to still have enough AP to cool down and finish the job.

nadia
08-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Yeah, through the second playthrough, Ryu's been using Charge + Hurricane with very favourable results. I haven't had a chance to play DQ in a while because we had to unhook the PS2, but rest assured I miss it.

Money's also not an issue anymore, thanks to the bank.