PDA

View Full Version : Ironclaw: Furry Slayers Edition

Mightyblue
01-05-2012, 12:11 AM
So right. As mentioned in the Virtual Tabletop thread, I've been shanghaied into running a quick little campaign of this quite strange little RPG. Since I mentioned this first to pence's Wed night crew and also bounced a few things off them for input, they get first dibs on slots (aiming for five or six depending on if everyone from the Wed game wants in). While I haven't gotten down to planning the exact particulars of the campaign yet, I do have a rough outline of what I want to do, and have gotten far enough along to the point where it's probably a good idea to get characters together.

Mechanically, the game is fairly simple, as pretty much everything is resolved by rolling dice; players roll dice according to stats and skill levels (which are represented in dice themselves) and try to beat the GM's counter roll on the challenge's difficulty check or against an opponent's defenses. Dice rolls are never cumulative; in most cases, you match your highest die rolls against your opponent's and work your way downwards to determine successes or failures.

Aside from that, it's structurally a very social RP game with the anthro stuff shoehorned in and what amounts to a Slayers style combat system bolted on top--including the magic system which gets progressively more broken the more advanced the mage becomes.

Character Creation is mostly about flavor, aside from choice of initial profession; You pick a race and occupation, and divvy up dice to various core stats according to this handy CC guide (http://www.sanguine.com/download/IronclawCharGenSummary.pdf).

Lists of:
Gifts/Flaws (http://www.sanguine.com/download/summary/SummaryGiftsFlaws.html)
Skills (http://www.sanguine.com/download/summary/SummarySkills.html)
Races (http://www.sanguine.com/download/summary/SummaryRace.html)
Occupations (http://www.sanguine.com/download/summary/SummaryCareers.html)

A fillable Charsheet (http://www.mediafire.com/?05f41xi19mn217a), hastily made by me.

All of which should cover the basics, as most of the skills/gifts/flaws are self-explanatory. Careers are slightly less straightforward, because this is a Medieval social RP hastily reskinned to fit anthro-Slayers land, so feel free to PM me with questions on that front. Note that if something obvious doesn't pop up on any of the lists, feel free to pop me a question about including it. The system is designed in such a way that house-ruling in something is pretty painless and easy.

I am, however, going to put a limit on mages in the group, as magic can be...overpowered, although it shouldn't be a concern with starting characters. So, two mages (those whose initial career is one of the mage classes) and only one of each class.

Basically; Elementalists = Black Mages with a touch of Summoner, Clerics = White Mages, Green & Purple Mages are pretty self-explanatory, and Thaumaturges are basically anti-magic mages as they get all the general purpose magic mods and nulls. No PC Necromancers, sorry!

So just follow the initial linked CC guide and PM me with questions once I add your name to the list below:

1. pence
2. Lucas
3. Red Hedgehog
4. Nich
5. Google
6. spineshark

As far as timing goes, I'm looking at something in late Feb/early Mar for the first real session (which is a ways away, I know) which is sort of unavoidable on my end due to me probably spending most of the second half of Feb in a post-surgery drug coma, and not being able to get away from work reliably until then.

ETA: I've noticed (and told the Wed night crew) that not only are anthro horses a PC race, but you can also buy and ride regular horses. Should give you an idea of how utterly f***** up this setting is.

Also, I'll just leave this (http://stitchfan.deviantart.com/art/My-Little-Pony-IronClaw-RPG-259149623) here.

pence
01-05-2012, 12:27 AM
It's pretty crazy.

Representing mustelidae:
Ermines
Ferrets
Minks
Otters
and Weasels

Representing felidae:
"Cats"

I mean, even I know this is a little silly.

Googleshng
01-05-2012, 12:45 AM
a Slayers style combat system bolted on top--including the magic system which gets progressively more broken the more advanced the mage becomes.

I am, however, going to put a limit on mages in the group, as magic can be...overpowered, although it shouldn't be a concern with starting characters. So, two mages (those whose initial career is one of the mage classes) and only one of each class.

Well that's just going against the spirit of things. What you should do is have all but 1 PC play a mage and have them completely stomp over everything forcing you to either throw'em at gods or weird gimmicky gag monsters.*

*Not a serious suggestion.

Also, I am firmly stating my interest in playing this here, in case it wasn't clear when I did so in those other two threads.

DemoWeasel
01-05-2012, 12:55 AM
Representing mustelidae:

WIN IT FOR THE BOTH OF US, LOSER.

spineshark
01-05-2012, 05:59 AM
This sounds amusing, but I don't really have any sort of tabletop background and am gonna be pretty occupied for the next week or so. If those aren't problems I'm interested.

namelessentity
01-05-2012, 08:37 AM
You can give my spot to someone who wants it, I don't think I'll join in on this. Looks interesting, but not my cup of tea.

poetfox
01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
I would very much like to play, though if my schedule gets in the way and you need to cut me out of it, no worries.

TirMcDohl
01-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Don't know if I'm up to play, but I'd like to observe a session just to check it out.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's the same edition as the one in the original post, but Linkara's girlfriend, Iron Liz, does tabletop gaming system reviews, and she did a review of Ironclaw. Lemme see if I can dig it up.

Here we go!

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/iron-liz/pen-and-paper-corner/32872-ironclaw

pence
01-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Don't know if I'm up to play, but I'd like to observe a session just to check it out.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's the same edition as the one in the original post, but Linkara's girlfriend, Iron Liz, does tabletop gaming system reviews, and she did a review of Ironclaw. Lemme see if I can dig it up.

Yeah, that's the second edition. I had written it off as just another game where everything on your sheet is about how good you are at fighting things, until my friend Elise told me about it. It's on my to-read list.

Mightyblue
01-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Yep, the copyright violating cover art of my book indicates that it's the erratted reprint of the first edition from '01.

BŁge
01-05-2012, 11:34 AM
ETA: I've noticed (and told the Wed night crew) that not only are anthro horses a PC race, but you can also buy and ride regular horses. Should give you an idea of how utterly f***** up this setting is.

Mickey Mouse owns Pluto, a dog. Mickey Mouse is also friends with Goofy, also a dog.

pence
01-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Mickey Mouse owns Pluto, a dog. Mickey Mouse is also friends with Goofy, also a dog.

He's a goof. It's like a dog, but it goes on two legs and speaks in a lilting, chuckling mockery of a man's voice.

BŁge
01-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Except he has a rivalry with Pete, who is a cat. Ergo, Goofy must be a dog, because Mickey's a mouse. This is basic cartoon animal hierarchy here.

Lucas
01-05-2012, 01:44 PM
I keep misreading this thread title as Ironclaw: Furry Slavers.

Well, there is a slaver occupation....

Anyway, John Wesley, Weasel Pitfighter, reporting for duty. I'd appreciate more information on how Atavist works, though.

Googleshng
01-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Green & Purple Mages are pretty self-explanatory

Well of course. Obviously they um... cast... spells that do... things?

Also, two things before I start sifting through this:
1- This is one of those situations where the GM has the first edition rules and the players have been handed character creation info reflecting 10 years of revision, isn't it? Any major discrepancies to watch for?

2- Any plans to haul everyone into IRC or something to ensure we cover all the bases party balance/wacky group dynamic wise?

TirMcDohl
01-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Reading the setting fluff, it's very interesting, but not very Slayers.

I mean, Slayers has a place where people play Magic Tennis.

Mightyblue
01-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Well of course. Obviously they um... cast... spells that do... things?

Also, two things before I start sifting through this:
1- This is one of those situations where the GM has the first edition rules and the players have been handed character creation info reflecting 10 years of revision, isn't it? Any major discrepancies to watch for?

2- Any plans to haul everyone into IRC or something to ensure we cover all the bases party balance/wacky group dynamic wise?

1. I think so? Although the site I grabbed the resources from seems to be for the edition I'm using plus the spin-off variants. I haven't noticed anything major so far, and the CC guide and Char sheet I posted are basically straight out of the book.

2. Yeah. Once You guys have your characters roughed out I'm planning on an IRC/Skype session to iron out details/equipment.

As far as the G&P magic goes, I figured everyone reading this would be conversant with latter day FF magic delineations, so G&P magic is all the status-effect and grabbag stuff, including telepathy.

Also, it is completely possible to play magical ping pong in this. For the straightest variant, Master level Thaumaturges get Reflect that can be cast once a round as an interrupt to an enemy spellcast. So if your opponent is also a Master level Thaumaturge, well, you see what I'm driving at.

Lucas: Atavists are berserkers, basically. Once you purchase the gift of Atavism at chargen (and you really want to make Mind a d4, because the difficulty of the skills is fixed but it also depends on the size of your Mind die; so the smarter you are, the harder it is to be a frothing berserker...naturally. This means Atavists also make piss-poor spellcasters.), you purchase Atavist skills like you would other skills at chargen (or learn them in the course of the campaign). I won't go into details here, but there are skills to make you super fast, strong, durable, and heal your wounds among others.

Mightyblue
01-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Okay, barring any later changes, this is the group:

1. pence
2. Lucas
3. Red Hedgehog
4. Nich
5. Google
6. spineshark

Once I get my work schedule for the next week tomorrow I'll try to get an IRC/Skype session together next week to hammer out the chargen process and handle any other business.

poet, I'm full on up this one, although if other people are interested later I can always run another game in the future.

Tir, sure, that's no problem.

Red Hedgehog
01-05-2012, 08:12 PM
As much fun as I had coming up with Jacquelyvert, the Skunk Witch Hunter, I'm not sure I can commit to this. So if someone really wants to get into the group they can take my place.

Mightyblue
01-05-2012, 08:26 PM
It'd better be a legitimate reason good sir, because if I can commit to running this damn thing, you can commit to playing it!

nah, it's fine if you can't

TirMcDohl
01-06-2012, 07:18 PM
I could be convinced to slide in to the vacated position.

poetfox
01-06-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm fine sitting out, as I may be in a similar schedule situation as Red, but, you know, if you want me I'll do my best to be there! Suppose I should make a character, though.

Mightyblue
01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Yeah, that's fine. Tir, you're in instead, and poet go ahead and make a character. Even if you don't play this time, I can always run another oneshot later.

TirMcDohl
01-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Oh, if poet is in, I'll totally be an understudy.

pence
01-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm thinking of playing a character like Andre the Giant from Princess Bride, perhaps a rhino or a bear. Of course, when I play this archetype I usually run the risk of drifting into Patrick Warburton territory. I also like the idea of a bat, but I don't want to be the frailest one in a party of similarly frail creatures!