PDA

View Full Version : Deckers? Jedis? Grifters? What'cha Playing?

kaisel
02-17-2012, 08:59 AM
One of the things I'm always kind of curious about is what sort of games people are playing. My own group tends to cluster around the d20 system and all its variants, and so I like to hear about what else is out there, and live a little vicariously (and steal shamelessly if something's inspiring). So what games are you running, playing, or planning to start up?

Right now I'm:

-DMing an online Eberron campaign for some friends. It's tending to be a bit more high fantasy than I'd like, and has some very odd mood variations (goes from fairly serious to slapstick pretty quickly), and two of my players aren't really into learning about the setting. Overall though it's a fun game, and Eberron's theme of "if it's in D&D, it's in Eberron" has been useful.

-Playing in a sporadic Star Wars Saga game, with rotating GMs. This game is fun, but very much a beer and pretzels sort of game, since the guy who does most of the GMing isn't much of a roleplayer, so it kind of turns MMO-y (ie get a mission, complete mission), and since there's not really a set number of players, all missions tend to be condensed into a single session. Still, it's enjoyable, even if it's not exactly what I'd like.

-Playing an Arch-Militant named Hal Jordahn in Rogue Trader. The GM for his is pretty new, so he's using story paths, and since there's only one other player, it requires a bit of fudging (sometimes I have to play the Rogue Trader as well), but it's been a lot of fun. Definitely playing up the dark humor of the Warhammer 40K universe rather than doing the whole grim dark thing.

-Planning to start up a BRP Call of Cthulhu one-shot for our very own VTT in the nearish future. Wanted to do it in February, but I've been pretty busy. I plan on making four-six pregen characters, and then running the Dark Brotherhood, unless a lot of people have already played it.

Falselogic
02-17-2012, 09:10 AM
The only game I've ever played is the one that is wrapping up now a Fading Suns campaign. We started out a year ago as scrappy entrepreneurs but have done well enough that our characters are pretty wealthy and so we'll be ending it. I've really enjoyed the campaign as well how FS's approaches skills and abilities.

Egarwaen
02-17-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm playing in:

- A year-plus-long Demon: The Fallen game that's moving into its final arc. We're a bunch of Demons in LA on the cusp of the End Times, who were picked (without our knowledge) by Lucifer to put his newest plan for thwarting God into action.

- A frequently-interrupted Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition game that's just moving out of its introductory acts. We're currently playing a bunch of vampires in New York in early November of 2000, attempting to thwart a plan by vampire Boss Tweed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_Tweed) to seize control of the city.

I'm running:

- A game of The One Ring. The PCs have been recruited by a Beorning chieftian whose sister has fallen in love with Beorn. Beorn hasn't shown much interest in returning her affections, or anyone else's for that matter, so his chieftains have decided that he's clearly still laboring under a curse and it must be broken. And that means an Adventure, which requires the attentions of a proper group of Adventurers.

They got recruited in Laketown, during a celebration of the five-year anniversary of the Battle of Five Armies. Three sessions in to the game proper and they're just barely out of the other side of Mirkwood.

pence
02-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Let's see, I've got a lot of stuff going on right now.

DMing a D&D 4e game online, playing through Paizo's Carrion Crown adventure path. We've been playing for over 10 months and now everyone's a beefy level 11 paragon. This is probably the longest-running campaign I've played since middle school, and it's pretty awesome! Meeting weekly that long for the same game is exhausting for me, but not a problem if I remember to take breaks.

Another online group that just formed, mostly people that I used to play D&D with. Right now we're beginning a short run of... either Spirit of the Century or Dogs in the Vineyard. Last night we ended up playing Fiasco.

We're two sessions into Shadowrun Los Angeles on the weekend, it's a bucket list thing to give it an honest shot. I like to say it's Burn Notice plus Dresden Files in the Shadowrun setting.

That Shadowrun game has a Decker (Technomancer), a Jedi (Mystic Adept), and a Grifter (Face). The kitchen sink.

namelessentity
02-17-2012, 10:28 AM
-Currently in a star wars saga game set in the Legacy Era. I like some of what the system has done, and absolutely hate other things. We are just a rag tag band of mercs trying to pay off some horrible secret. We each got our own secret and it was a challenge to see who could keep it the longest.

-Another star was saga game, on hold until further notice, set in the clone wars era. All I remember about this game is that I'm a robot and I almost killed my entire party, but forgetting a bonus made it so they barely survived.

-DnD 4e game with the TT people. We are chasing necromancers, though we tend to fight other beasties. (Werewolves, giant crabs, giant squid, ghosts, etc.)

BŁge
02-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Right now I'm in two campaigns over on the Bronto (http://brontoforum.us/index.php?board=5.0), both D&D 4th ed.

In one, I'm playing a half-orc fighter trying to unearth the mysteries of her past. This is set in a world where every person devotes themselves to a patron deity and receives boons based on that deity's portfolio. It's a fairly typical campaign other than that.

The other is set in a collection of spaceborne worlds and is at paragon(?) tier. The group are all members of a mercenary company and we receive missions, jobs and tips from different sources, and take them on as they come, splitting into different groups. My character's a somewhat-scatterbrained scion of a noble house with a talent for illusion and charm. She's fun (but challenging) to play.

Traumadore
02-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Man, I was wondering how many games you guys played at once considering how active the other RP threads were. It's cool to see you got a lot of irons in the fire. Also nice to see long-running internet based games work for someone out there. I just can't get into it.

- I just took over DMing my friend's D&D 3.5 campaign (only level 4 so far). Two sessions since then and it's been going well, they're finally doing some honest to goodness Role-Playing, but having a couple new players certainly helps. The weird thing is they want me to keep playing my character too, never done that before so we'll see how it goes.

- We're re-starting up a d20 Modern post-apocalyptic campaign that has been on hold for about 10 months. I've got a Level 3 Dedicated Hero who's going to get some levels in Negotiator soon. I rigged a boxing tournament before we stopped playing so the party is impossibly rich now.

- My 4th Edition campaign I was DMing has been been on hold since we were down to only 2 PCs. Hoping to revive it, because it was a pretty exciting no-holds-barred dungeon crawl.

SilentSnake
02-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Pathfinder, Kingmaker Adventure Path as a Cavalier. It's actually been somewhat of a challenge figuring out all the mechanics that this class uses that I've never really bothered to figure out, plus additional quirks like the fact that your special mount acts like a Druid Animal Companion, except when it doesn't and acts like a mount. Man I hope my group bears with me as I try to figure this out.
Dark Heresy, The Apostasy Gambit trilogy. I'm playing an Imperial Psyker, so I'm expecting a lot of party Fate Points to be burned in the wake of my rampant Perils of the Warp. So in other words, fun!

And soon to come:

Aberrant, a superhero RPG using the White Wolf Storyteller System
Call of Cthulhu
Old World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade
...potentially hooking up with a new group to try D&D 4e for the first time? I don't know.
Chill, an old horror RPG with similar mechanics to Call of Cthulhu, but with B-movie monsters instead of elder gods

Egarwaen
02-17-2012, 11:14 AM
[LIST]
Abberant, a superhero RPG using the White Wolf Storyteller System
Old World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade

I've got a couple friends who utterly adore the Aeon-verse, so I'd love to hear how your Abberant game goes. Also, which edition of VtM?

SilentSnake
02-17-2012, 11:17 AM
I've got a couple friends who utterly adore the Aeon-verse, so I'd love to hear how your Abberant game goes. Also, which edition of VtM?

20th Anniversary one. That way, we can be both old and new!

shivam
02-17-2012, 11:23 AM
currently in two savage worlds games, one in the alternity star drive setting, and another in a homebrew world.

Red Hedgehog
02-17-2012, 11:23 AM
I just want to thank pence for keeping our weekly online D&D session going. I think he's run it amazingly and has shown me both that online D&D works, and that 4th Edition can be fun (lots of fun).

I also just started DMing an online 4E game with old friends from college and their significant others. I'm worried I may be getting a bit D&Ded out so I'm going to propose a Paranoia or ICONS one shot soon.

kaisel
02-17-2012, 11:27 AM
currently in two savage worlds games, one in the alternity star drive setting, and another in a homebrew world.

Savage Worlds is one of my favorite systems, and I really wish my friends would be willing to branch out. Probably my longest running campaign was a Savage Worlds one, and I'm thinking about running a solo campaign for my wife, since she doesn't get to game as much as she'd like.

pence
02-17-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm worried I may be getting a bit D&Ded out so I'm going to propose a Paranoia or ICONS one shot soon.

Meeting weekly that long for the same game is exhausting for me, but not a problem if I remember to take breaks.

It's been a while since I've taken a week off of Carrion Crown to recharge my batteries (December always does that by itself), we should coordinate :P

I saw a few people put some "I want to play this!" entries in. I want to play Cthulhu Apocalypse, either with weekend friends or with hippie friends.

Destil
02-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Playing:
Kat d'Lance: flighty, spoiled half-elf bard and bastard child of one of the local nobles in Pence's Carrion Crown campaign.

Running:
Currently running a homebrew 4E game set in a shared campaign world based on a fantasy cold war. Running through an intrigue based adventure right now where the PCs are trying to get a neutral city to side with them instead of (fantasy) Russia. Once that's over I expect to let someone else run for a while, though I don't know what I'll play since my last PC in this one died a few weeks ago.

In the works:
A sandbox 4E dark ages game, set in the remains of a once powerful empire and with 'points of light' world design. A monthly game for a bunch of guys at work who have either never played or haven't played in years. Expecting to have the first session in the next month or two.

The 4E Eberron game I was ruining for the past two years fell apart thanks to scheduling issues during the holidays. Looking to re-work a few things I was unhappy with and start it back up as a monthly game.

Googleshng
02-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Running: A Pathfinder conversion of Shackled City, with my mother, who has never played anything more complex than like, backgammon. (http://mnmdnd.wordpress.com/) It's kinda flagging at the moment since 2 of the other PCs aren't particularly into it.

Playing: Kingmaker (Pathfinder) with my international Skype'n'Maptool group. Still in Chapter 2 (which is pretty freaking long!), just getting our economy into gear on the sim side, down to 3 unexplored map hexes. It's such a PC game of an AP.

Playing: McDohl's Pathfinder thing. Whee, pirates!

About to start this week: Some weird low-combat totally based in one city Pathfinder game.

About to start this week: Legend of the Five Rings (3rd ed) wherein I am playing the most inherently, astoundingly doomed character I have ever seen in anything, and I've played Paranoia.

Kind of in the air: Ironclaw, AKA Slayers with furries.

Kind of in the air: Some crazy Palladium thing that's theoretically going to be focused on a small group of people continually getting reincarnated through the ages.

Wish I had going but they failed to get off the ground: Shadowrun, Deadlands, Eclipse Phase, and Pendragon.

Arithon32
02-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Running a D&D 4e version of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Playing a Human wizard in a 4e War of the Burning Sky campaign

BŁge
02-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Re: thread title,

I believe that "Jedi" is the plural of Jedi.

Red Hedgehog
02-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Running a D&D 4e version of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

That sounds pretty amazing. Mostly because I've been reading this guy's blog (http://towerofzenopus.blogspot.com/search/label/Temple%20of%20Elemental%20Evil) where he does the same thing.

Arithon32
02-18-2012, 11:10 AM
That sounds pretty amazing. Mostly because I've been reading this guy's blog (http://towerofzenopus.blogspot.com/search/label/Temple%20of%20Elemental%20Evil) where he does the same thing.

It's been awesome so far. Most of my players are new to D&D, so we originally started with Thunderspire labyrinth, and I tied the end of it into RoTEE. Other than having to level everything for them, it's gone very well. They just got back from Nulb and the ruined Temple, after today's session they'll be in Rastor if not the Crater Ridge Mines themselves.

Destil
02-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Fair warning: The Crater Ridge Mines are an infamous slog in that module, I know of lots of games that never get through that part.

The rest of the module is great, though!

pence
02-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Another online group that just formed, mostly people that I used to play D&D with. Right now we're beginning a short run of... either Spirit of the Century or Dogs in the Vineyard. Last night we ended up playing Fiasco.

Scratch that, we're going to play InSpectres for a few weeks.

"You do paranormal investigations, do you have your number in the white pages?"
"No, it's in Coffee News."

We haven't actually played yet and I already know this was a good choice.

Pseudonym
02-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Playing in:
One Sunday a month: A Dark Ages Vampire campaign based out of Constantinoble. I'm playing a scholar from Alexandria. The other players are a crusader and a crazy Viking guy. We just finished beating up pirates and now we are going to beat up a demon.

One Sunday a month: A Grimm campaign. It's a game where you play little kids sucked into fairy tale land. I'm playing a nerd characte who's power item is a batman comic that answers questions. The other players are a artsy kid, a bully, and an orphan. We just performed a heart transplant on a guy last week, so I think that's going pretty well!

One Sunday a month: A Scion campaign. I'm playing a csi person, and the other players are a fire fighter and a tv producer. I'm just not feeling this game, really. The GM pretty must lost me when he decided we should spend months on my character being turned into a bug because she was like a bit cheeky on an instant message or something. Killed all my enthusiasm right there...

Running:
One Sunday a month: Deadlands reloaded! Players are a taoist blessed, a former pony express rider and a journalist.

Thursdays: Deadlands Reloaded! Players are a Rabbi blessed, a huckster, a crazy old miner, a mad scientist, an anthropologist shaman, and his warrior friend. Also various characters of people who show up for one session and then disappear off the face of the earth... I have this crazy ambition to use a wiki to represent a magic book that would allow cross universe communication and then top it all off with a meet up dinner party. But at the moment I'm still trying to get them to read the dang wiki.

Will play:
Thursdays: The guy who owns the house we play at is usually the GM. I guess he's got a lighter work load because he's taken back every other week to do a Battlestar Galactica game. (I guess this means I don't have to power rush through the adventure anymore?) It looks like we are going to be playing in his home brew system. No idea what our characters will actually be, but I'm pulling for office supply salespeople!

Mightyblue
02-24-2012, 01:17 PM
I completely missed this thread, haha.

Right now the only thing I'm playing is an elf hexblade in pence's Wed night game, who's basically been completely reflavored as a cleric from some long lost goddess-type. The last few sessions have been really fun, because the events in the AP have let me roleplay her to the hilt after sitting on the sidelines somewhat since she was introduced.

Also, I need to get back on the wagon on that Ironclaw thing, or just decide I'm too uncomfortable running it.

kaisel
02-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Alright, I'm also grabbing this to turn it into a "talk about your current campaign" thread as well (since Pimp My Campaign seems much about advice, and GM Did What seem way more about amusing/terrifying anecdotes).

Had my first player death in my current session, the player in question was unhappy about that, as I suspect he felt a little picked on (he had frustrated the rest of the players/characters because he was somewhat focused on being chaotically homicidal) but it looks like, for now at least, that some discussion over the problem has smoothed it all out. He was trying to play an emotionally broken character, but he just got a little too broken to function in a party (like he thought random arson in a city was acceptable with no repercussions).

Blargh, character death. Felt like a shitty GM tonight.

Red Hedgehog
02-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Alright, I'm also grabbing this to turn it into a "talk about your current campaign" thread as well (since Pimp My Campaign seems much about advice, and GM Did What seem way more about amusing/terrifying anecdotes).

Had my first player death in my current session, the player in question was unhappy about that, as I suspect he felt a little picked on (he had frustrated the rest of the players/characters because he was somewhat focused on being chaotically homicidal) but it looks like, for now at least, that some discussion over the problem has smoothed it all out. He was trying to play an emotionally broken character, but he just got a little too broken to function in a party (like he thought random arson in a city was acceptable with no repercussions).

Blargh, character death. Felt like a shitty GM tonight.

Um, ok. Not sure why this couldn't have gone in Pimp My Campaign. Sounds like what happened to the character made sense and everyone learned a lesson.

Lucas
02-26-2012, 06:12 PM
For Wednesday night D&D 4E I play Shov, who ran away from the circus to join the crusaders who keep a nasty lich under wraps and was turned into a horrific sucker of miscellaneous life essences on her first mission for the crusade.

Saturday nights in Pathfinder I'm Berlin "The Sea Snake" Daergal, a gnomish summoner with decades of experience as a vile marine and terror of the seas. Her brief pre-campaign flirtation with being enslaved has done nothing to soften her edge and she does her best to provide a proper lack-of-conscience to our band of sexy pirates.

On various nights, I play in some Tri-Stat dX games. In Arcanium, the tales of teachers at an adventuring academy in a magitek-ish world, I play Ilana, the Adventuring Economics teacher and a priestess of Ardarvia, the lawful good goddess of love and bondage. Making everything the demure and (almost) unfailingly polite dark elf says into a double entendre is one of the hardest and most rewarding roleplaying challenges I've given myself.

Our other current Tri-Stat game is Heroes Anonymous, which focuses on second-rate/unknown heroes in Borderline City, where superpowers are an accepted part of life. My first PC was Gordon Remlign/The Gremliminator, a genre-savvy former minor villain (the Gremlin) who was demolitions expert in his day job and a grenades expert as a hero, not to mention being armed with his alliance with the city's goblin population, the control system from some sort of alien spaceship, and the way he constantly picked up new sidekicks, minions, and lackeys. He recently co-opted another villain's plan to go back in time with a bunch of doomsday devices and take over the world, and ascended into the City's resident big bad evil guy.

My next PC for that game, hopefully to be broken out sometime this week, will be Titania LeClaire, AKA Hyperia, a cosplay cafe waitress and one of Borderline's bevy of bodysuited brawling babes. Almost a complete 180 from Gord - and most of my PCs, actually - in that she not only has no way to deal lethal damage on her character sheet, but she has no NPC companions or servants of any kind.

And of course there's Lira, the character I've used twice now in Glistening Chests games. So that's not an ongoing thing, but I've been keeping her around so she counts!

Also, seriously, I don't know how it happened that all my characters are girls. I wasn't planning that at all.

Things I am playing in a sadly unspecified future:
A weasel-man pit fighter in that TT Ironclaw game we might get going hopefully. He depends on speed, hitting first, and hitting hard with his natural the to ensure he doesn't get hit. He is also named John Wesley Weasel, and not nearly enough people get that reference when I make it.

Another Tri-Stat game called Our Nation, Underground. This is an Undungeon game, with people living underground after an apocalypse and the surface world populated by massive monsters they'd have no chance fighting. I'm actually the GM for this one and really need to get off my ass and get to work on it.

Googleshng
02-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Also, seriously, I don't know how it happened that all my characters are girls. I wasn't planning that at all.

That's true for me right now too come to think of it. Which is weird, because as a general rule of thumb, I alternate genders when creating characters. All the campaigns where I'm playing guys at the moment just haven't quite gotten off the ground yet, or have recently ended.

kaisel
02-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Um, ok. Not sure why this couldn't have gone in Pimp My Campaign. Sounds like what happened to the character made sense and everyone learned a lesson.

Mostly because I was tired when I posted that and I was being kinda silly.

In news more pertinent to this thread, I've been watching season 3 of Leverage, and I'm thinking of running a one-shot for my online group in the near future, to kind of get them out of the D&D mindset. I love D&D, but I also really love introducing people to new systems. On the downside my group doesn't particularly like trying new things, so it'll be interesting to try to seel 'em on the system.