PDA

View Full Version : If you believe in Wizards, clap you hands!: The Idle Thumbs Kickstarter

Lumber Baron
02-20-2012, 09:40 AM
To bring back the cast, give these guys your gold (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idlethumbs/idle-thumbs-video-game-podcast)gamecooljeff

poetfox
02-20-2012, 09:44 AM
50 dollars is a lot, but I want that shirt and I want this podcast SO BAD IT HURTS so...

Edit: You know, the more I think about it? I say it's a lot, but I've probably listened to all the Thumbs casts twice... and that's the only podcast I can say that about. They have, by far, given me 50 dollars worth of joy.

reibeatall
02-20-2012, 09:51 AM
I want to do the $50 one, but I also really want the shirt from the $200 one.

Also I am seriously going to talk to my boss about one of those sponsorship packages.

poetfox
02-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Oh man, they already have a $1000 backer! So awesome for them.

MCBanjoMike
02-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Hot dang! I totally, absolutely want to contribute, but right now I'm having trouble deciding between the $50 and $100 options. That sounds like a lot of money for a free podcast, but Idle Thumbs is one of my favorite things just about ever and I'm ready to put my money where their mouths are (ew?). I'll probably go for the $50 pack, since that gets you the t-shirt and the stickers, but I kinda wish I could see what the prints were before deciding. Does anyone know if they have been posted somewhere on the internet?

Also, nice work on being the first contributor, Lumbar.

Lumber Baron
02-20-2012, 10:30 AM
It's not quite fair, since I knew when the kickstarter was going up. I was part of the feedback group to help determine what tiers and rewards would be used. It's nice to know that the $50 tier is so attractive, since at the start there was a jump from $35 to $75, with $75 being the lowest reward bracket with a t-shirt.

estragon
02-20-2012, 10:37 AM
It's cute that Chris Remo thought:

Welp, here goes a month of stress and pleading.

This is almost definitely going to hit the $30,000 mark really soon.

Adrenaline
02-20-2012, 10:49 AM
I will put some money into this when I get home. Not sure how much, but definitely enough to at least hear the prepodcast podcasts.

PT
02-20-2012, 10:57 AM
They've got $50 from me...though that might go up to $100 by the end of the month if I decide I'm crazy enough. I might, just might, want that artwork. An excuse to put stuff in my barren room here at home!

That $200 one is stupid attractive only for the incredibly dumb wanting of one of those of "Journal Of Games" newsprints. Oh, and the soundtrack and the second shirt. But $100 is really all I can go for at this point...argh! Let me think about this.

Adrenaline
02-20-2012, 10:59 AM
It's not quite fair, since I knew when the kickstarter was going up. I was part of the feedback group to help determine what tiers and rewards would be used. It's nice to know that the $50 tier is so attractive, since at the start there was a jump from $35 to $75, with $75 being the lowest reward bracket with a t-shirt.

How did you end up doing the annotated youtube videos? Did you just email them and say "Hey, can I do this?"

Tefari
02-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Oh man, that high pitched EEEEEEEE noise you hear is me freaking out over this. So excited oh my god.

MCBanjoMike
02-20-2012, 11:15 AM
All right, I'm in! I remembered that I could change the amount of my donation later on if they release images of the artwork, so I went with the $50 tier* to snag my sweet-ass t-shirt. I hope that I get the stickers, too, but it's not entirely clear if I will - according to some pages, you only get those if you give $100. Hopefully they can clear up that bit of confusion soon.

*Technically $60, since I a Canardian.

DANoWAR
02-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Now if Kickstarter allowed PayPal...

PT
02-20-2012, 11:32 AM
I watched the video just for kicks because I was going to donate anyway...and admit I was slightly disappointed that some of the money is going to go toward finding a real place to record the podcast.

I understand why they are doing that, mind you, but it will be mildly sad to lose the emergency sirens that always seem to indicate that someone is about to get arrested during the podcast. Added a touch of "authenticity".

Lumber Baron
02-20-2012, 11:35 AM
And goal reached.

How did you end up doing the annotated youtube videos? Did you just email them and say "Hey, can I do this?"
Actually, yes. I was just going to put them up on my own profile, but they gave me access to their YouTube account.

ultimatt
02-20-2012, 11:39 AM
It went from 27000 to over 30000 while i was reading the page. I didn't even finish the whole thing before I refreshed!

Also: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEE

demonkoala
02-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Been following this kickstarter for the last few hours...and I'm pleased how fast the numbers climbed. Awesome

Alixsar
02-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Hey guys, On the Stick/The Action Cast needs money too! Making a free podcast is expensive, and sometimes buying the rights to a website costs like infinity billion dollars! So just send us all of your money so we can keep doing something that requires very little money to do and then we'll take that money and have your money and you won't have it anymore! Also, if you donate $50, we'll send you a t-shirt that cost, like, 15? Probably like 10 or 15 dollars to be made. That's a negative 30 dollar value! If you donate $1000, then we'll say thank you and maybe eat dinner with you once? Seriously, that's what you get for A THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS? Are we serious? Yes, we are! So give us all of your money, because evidently you don't know what to do with it.

DANoWAR
02-20-2012, 11:52 AM
I'll probably finally get a debit card just for this.

MCBanjoMike
02-20-2012, 12:13 PM
The opinions of Alex Reo do not reflect the opinions of On the Stick or the On the Stick Podcast. Seriously, if we could make something as good as Idle Thumbs, then I would expect all of y'all to pay us for it.

Alixsar
02-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Yeah, yeah. I had a long post written up that would've derailed things further, but I'm going to break with Alixsar Company Policy and show restraint for once.

Tefari
02-20-2012, 12:32 PM
You really do hate everything, don't you.

Wolfgang
02-20-2012, 12:39 PM
If you donate $1000, then we'll say thank you and maybe eat dinner with you once? Seriously, that's what you get for A THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS? Are we serious? Yes, we are

In their defense, you'd probably have to pay me a thousand dollars to have dinner with a fan of an internet show.

chud_666
02-20-2012, 12:42 PM
What is this podcast..?

DANoWAR
02-20-2012, 12:47 PM
What is this podcast..?

An awesome pile of peoples.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-20-2012, 12:48 PM

I keep telling you guys he's a bizarro but does anyone listen? Nooooo.

That said the above rant did make me snicker.

Alixsar
02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
In their defense, you'd probably have to pay me a thousand dollars to have dinner with a fan of an internet show.

I hadn't considered that, actually. Maybe it's not so crazy after all!

No, but I think it's extremely silly that The Internet™ banded together to raise 30k so these dudes could rent an office and pay web hosting fees.

chud_666
02-20-2012, 01:04 PM
An awesome pile of peoples.

Is it especially good though? Because aren't there like 10 million seperate gaming podcasts?

MCBanjoMike
02-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Is it especially good though?

Yes. It really, really is. But don't take my word for it! Go download the first few episodes of the original run and listen for yourself. They're a little rough at the start, but the show builds on itself in such a way that it's really worth starting at the very beginning. Of course, if you'd rather just jump in with one of their strongest episodes, I would recommend "Manipulated Through Time", "Jeff Gone Goldblum" or "Shadow and Colossus: Back in Action". Any of those would give you a pretty good taste of what the show is about.

Adrenaline
02-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Is it especially good though?

Yes.

onimaruxlr
02-20-2012, 01:41 PM
The best thing about this is that it had better fucking ensure they actually keep making the podcast for a protracted length of time for a change.

I would totally get in on this if I wasn't a dubiously employable NEET living hand to mouth. God bless all you wealthy internet Goldlords for bringing back some of that sweet sweet ear candy.

ajr82
02-20-2012, 01:47 PM
No, but I think it's extremely silly that The Internet™ banded together to raise 30k so these dudes could rent an office and pay web hosting fees.

Why? I like a thing, so I'm willing to throw my money at it.

Adrenaline
02-20-2012, 01:53 PM
I think Alixsar just doesn't understand the fees associated with hosting a podcast that thousands of people listen to rather than a dozen.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-20-2012, 01:54 PM

Make that 40k and rising. (Twists knife)

John
02-20-2012, 02:11 PM
The best thing about this is that it had better fucking ensure they actually keep making the podcast for a protracted length of time for a change.

I contributed money to a website for exactly this reason once. 6 months later...

http://thegia.psy-q.ch/sites/www.thegia.com/main/theend.jpg (http://thegia.psy-q.ch/sites/www.thegia.com/features/theend/index.html)

sadtrombone

reibeatall
02-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Ohh man, there's already a pre-podcast progresscast up.

teekun
02-20-2012, 03:13 PM
I only just found out about this today but holy crap. I know they're already way past their goal but I am so tempted to toss in my few dollars anyways because wow. Besides, American dollars are like monopoly money when you live and work in Australia!

cool onion
02-20-2012, 03:17 PM

Especially an Idle Thumbs fan. I love Idle Thumbs but we're honestly the fucking worst.

Wolfgang
02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Isn't Idle Thumbs the one with Shane Bettenhausen and Seanbaby making fun of bad games? I haven't paid much attention to gaming podcasts since EGM went bust.

Lumber Baron
02-20-2012, 03:32 PM
No, most of the hosts and guest hosts on the podcast were people who actually worked for developers, plus Chris Remo who wrote for Gamasutra. You can check out the website (http://www.idlethumbs.net/home/) if you want to know what's up, but there's not a great way to jump into the archives outside of diving in the deep end.

fanboymaster
02-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Wolfgang, you are thinking of Broken Pixels.

I tried listening to Idle Thumbs once or twice, wasn't my cup of tea. It didn't help that half the time when I saw people asking how to get started with the show, the respondent post degenerated into some permutation of "Baboo" and/or "Wizards".

Wolfgang
02-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Ah. My next thought was that it was the video game podcast that wanted so badly to be on NPR and practically put me to sleep the first time I heard it. But it's not that either, as I went and actually listened to the first episode. I hadn't heard Idle Thumbs before! And there you go.

Stiv
02-20-2012, 04:17 PM
So, turns out this is what it takes to get me to donate money to something on Kickstarter. If I still had a record player I'd actually pay for that EP.

poetfox
02-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Is there no way to get this progresscast podblast onto my podblast listening device?! Dammit.

Edit: Ah, okay, I see they were going to try to come up with a solution. Fair enough. I can wait. Just wanted badly to listen to this on the way to work/at work. Heh.

reibeatall
02-20-2012, 04:28 PM
So, turns out this is what it takes to get me to donate money to something on Kickstarter. If I still had a record player I'd actually pay for that EP.

Tell you what, you donate up to that one, give me the shirt, and I'll give you a record player.

Adrenaline
02-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Ok so I downloaded and played Gravity Bone and I need another one of those so I'm bumping myself up the "VIDEO GAME" package.

ultimatt
02-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Is there no way to get this progresscast podblast onto my podblast listening device?! Dammit.

Edit: Ah, okay, I see they were going to try to come up with a solution. Fair enough. I can wait. Just wanted badly to listen to this on the way to work/at work. Heh.

Only 38K more until you get Rodkin accompaniment :P

Balrog
02-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Ah. My next thought was that it was the video game podcast that wanted so badly to be on NPR and practically put me to sleep the first time I heard it. But it's not that either, as I went and actually listened to the first episode. I hadn't heard Idle Thumbs before! And there you go.

You're thinking of "A Life Well Wasted", I think.

Karzac
02-20-2012, 06:17 PM
I donated $13. I'd like to donate more, but I'm trying to save money right now. I might break and go for the $50 level later though.

Anyway, I am so fucking pumped for this.

teekun
02-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Wolfgang, you are thinking of Broken Pixels.

I tried listening to Idle Thumbs once or twice, wasn't my cup of tea. It didn't help that half the time when I saw people asking how to get started with the show, the respondent post degenerated into some permutation of "Baboo" and/or "Wizards".

The key to enjoying anything on the Internet is to never expose yourself to its biggest fans :(

Evil Dead Junkie
02-21-2012, 07:27 AM
The key to enjoying anything on the Internet is to never expose yourself to its biggest fans :(

This man is wise.

estragon
02-21-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised there's already a second ProgressCast up on the Kickstarter page!

DANoWAR
02-21-2012, 11:12 PM
I have an IT cast in my RSS feed. (I haven't donated yet)

Is this normal?

Tefari
02-21-2012, 11:21 PM
I have an IT cast in my RSS feed. (I haven't donated yet)

Is this normal?

Its just a 3 minute things saying HEY KICKSTARTER THING. Yeah I jumped out of my chair when Itunes started downloading something in the Idle Thumbs section too.

demonkoala
02-21-2012, 11:54 PM
I realized this was probably faster/more effective than any NPR pledge drive.

onimaruxlr
02-22-2012, 12:18 AM
I realized this was probably faster/more effective than any NPR pledge drive.

I wonder if NPR ever looks at stuff like this and goes "What if... what if we just stopped broadcasting for a week, instead of begging for money the whole time?"

Calorie Mate
02-22-2012, 06:09 AM
$51 donated, don't regret a cent.

estragon
03-01-2012, 12:09 AM
The insane F. Nick Breckon ProgessCast is just so wonderful.

I kind of hope it becomes a semi-regular feature of the new Idle Thumbs.

ajr82
03-01-2012, 07:39 AM
The insane F. Nick Breckon ProgessCast is just so wonderful.

I kind of hope it becomes a semi-regular feature of the new Idle Thumbs.

But I'M Nick Breckon?

ajr82
03-15-2012, 08:42 PM
"I wonder what Kangaroo Jack is up to."

"We can probably take a pretty solid guess as to what Kangaroo Jack is up to. He's probably doing two things in order."

DANoWAR
03-15-2012, 11:46 PM
I hope the peeps will, at some point in the distant future, release the progresscasts unto the world so that credit-card-less people like me can witness their (potential) awesomeness.

teg
03-16-2012, 06:25 AM
I hope they use some of the money to record an orchestral cover of The Wizard.

ajr82
03-21-2012, 08:03 PM
VIDEO GAAAAAAAAAAAAMES.