PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Cathedral and Sony

alexb
06-09-2007, 02:15 PM
So, it seems Sony has run afoul of the Church of England (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/6736809.stm). It really sounds like they haven't even played the game in question. I suppose I'd be surprised if they had. Still, that may not matter. Anyone familiar with English law? Does the church have a case?

Sanagi
06-10-2007, 02:38 AM
Setting a virtual gunfight in a replica of a real-life church may be tacky, but illegal? I just don't see it... Perfect Dark has a stage on Air Force One, but that didn't get any bad press. Although it probably would if it was released today.

Eusis
06-10-2007, 03:00 AM
I suppose can understand them being upset that their place was used without the permission they would've liked, although I have no idea if they really needed said permission... And that's about it. It's just a stop on the way, and was converted to a makeshift hospital before ultimately being overrun by the chimera. They're really just looking at the most basic level possible to me, and I really don't see how this is going to convince any sane person that churches, or at least the Manchester Cathedral to be somewhere to go bang bang pew pew. It really just sounds like they're grasping for straws for what can incite violence anymore.

It'll never go away completely if movies/TV controversies are any indicator, but I'll be glad when video games aren't vilified as much as they are now.

Deadguy2322
06-10-2007, 05:33 AM
I think this is just the Church of England trying to stay relevant.

doc_marten_abortion
06-10-2007, 05:37 AM
Seems to me that violence and church go hand in hand. But, then again, we're not talking about homicide... we're talking about alien..ocide...

Nothing like religiers to find something to get themselves noticed.

alexb
06-10-2007, 01:19 PM
The proper term is xenocide. But yeah, I agree. This is just them trying to see if they still have any power in the secular world.

Thinaran
06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
«Turned into a computerised scene of mass murder» (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sC8Wzo6eD8)