PDA

View Full Version : Talking about Moving Pictures

MCBanjoMike
03-28-2012, 11:32 AM
http://i.imgur.com/waSyY.jpg

Moving Pictures has to be one of my favorite albums of all time. Not only does it have the best Rush track of all (Red Barchetta), it also has YYZ, one of the most intense and to-the-point prog rock instrumentals of all time. Of course, if that's not to your taste, you always have the delightful, meandering Camera Eye, or the essential Tom Sawyer, not that I was ever a big fan of the latter. I could probably do without hearing Witch Hunt ever again, though.

Anyway, it's a great album. Let's talk about it!

Evil Dead Junkie
03-28-2012, 11:38 AM
to-the-point prog rock instrumentals of all time.

I'm sorry but my oxymoron indicator just exploded. Carry on.

Parish
03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm sorry but my oxymoron indicator just exploded. Carry on.

Clearly you are not familiar with Gentle Giant.

ArugulaZ
03-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Augh! Stop confusing me!!

Also, I never cared for Red Barchetta. Let me get this straight... Geddy's got an uncle with a time-traveling car in his barn, and they use it to make a quick trip to the distant future? Man, those must have been some awesome drugs the band picked up in Bangkok.

Parish
03-28-2012, 01:04 PM
You missed the story there. The idea of Red Barchetta is that it takes place well in the future, after automobiles have been outlawed, and the uncle has preserved an old sports car that the singer likes to take out for drives to experience a forbidden thrill. The police try and crack down on them, but they escape because the old car is smaller and more agile than the police vehicles.

Octopus Prime
03-28-2012, 01:11 PM
And it was the first appearance of Ponder Stibbons!

mr_bungle700
03-28-2012, 01:24 PM
the best Rush track of all (Red Barchetta)

CORRECT

MCBanjoMike
03-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Yeah, it's not worth investing a lot of effort in understanding the story of Red Barchetta. From a musical and structural standpoint, however, I think that it's the best song that the band ever wrote. This was also during the crazy period where they rehearsed all of their new material constantly during sound checks, so when they showed up to record their albums it was practically live and in one take. Song is tight, yo.

Octopus Prime
03-28-2012, 02:14 PM
The only Rush song I've heard, let alone liked, was Tom Sawyer.

I INTEND TO USE THIS VERY THREAD to ask that, knowing that, what else should I listen to!

MCBanjoMike
03-28-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe you try listening to MOVING PICTURES.

Octopus Prime
03-28-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe you try listening to MOVING PICTURES.

State your claim more clearly, using examples from thsi very thread, Mr. McBanjo!

Matchstick
03-28-2012, 07:12 PM

Correct. I also consider it one of my favorites of all time, so I am totally down with the Moving Pictures love. I think it's the most successful marrying of their more extravagant musical inclinations and their more restrained focused pop songs to come. All of them are hitting on all cylinders. "Vital Signs" is the underappreciated gem on this one for me. Neil's composition and performance get me every single time I listen to it, Alex's guitar sound is killer, and Geddy gets a tasty little solo turn.

Jeanie
03-28-2012, 07:27 PM
I've always thought that Red Barchetta had what I've always thought of as the Essential Rush Sound. Right after the first verse, at the 1:10 mark, that little rift right there is what I'd point to if someone ever ask me to define Rush's sound.

And it was YYZ in Guitar Hero 2 that I finally groked Rush. Only took me 20ish years.

Balrog
03-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Pffffft, I'm partial to Limelight and Witch Hunt :cool:

Torzelbaum
03-28-2012, 08:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/waSyY.jpgOh shit! Is that the alert level!? I thought we were still at Blackwatch Plaid! :eek:

MCBanjoMike
03-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Pffffft, I'm partial to Limelight and Witch Hunt :cool:

Limelight I'll give you, but I've never really liked Witch Hunt. It was always the only part of the Fear Trilogy that I didn't enjoy, despite the oher two songs being among my favorite Rush tracks.

Abominable K
03-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Witch Hunt's intro has an eerieness to it, one that as far as I've heard hasn't been equalled.

Issun
03-30-2012, 11:26 PM
I like Moving Pictures a lot, but it seems like that and 2112 get all the attention.

Where's the love for Fly by Night?