PDA

View Full Version : Mistborn

Trihan
03-29-2012, 05:28 AM
So I'm sure a lot of you will have read Brandon Sanderson's completion of Wheel of Time (I'm not one of them; I bought the first book several months ago and have yet to read it)

However, I did recently pick up book one of his Mistborn trilogy, "The Final Empire" and it was TOTALLY AWESOME.

I just love the magic systems used in this trilogy. Without being too spoilery, there are three of them that work fairly similarly but with their own logic and constraints. And all of them involve metal.

The main one, allomancy, basically involves people who are able to "burn" metals in their bodies in exchange for some sort of seemingly-magic ability. For example, burning tin increases your senses of sight, hearing, touch, smell etc. But obviously this can backfire: if you burn tin and look at a bright light, you risk blinding yourself.

Allomancers (people who can use allomancy, keep up) can also "flare" their metals, burning their reserve more quickly in exchange for a bigger burst of its respective power, but that's getting a bit too into the system for the purposes of this thread.

I did not come across a single character in the Mistborn trilogy that I didn't like. You heard me: not a single one. Everyone had a perfect blend of personality, motivation, backstory and personal flaws. There's a sort of Song of Ice and Fire-ish PoV chapter deal going on, but the chapters aren't headed with which character they're about. There are only a handful of PoV characters, but later on when you get inside the heads of some of the more mysterious players I just couldn't put the books down.

Then I found out there was a later book, The Alloy of Law, and nearly exploded with excitement. Seriously, I was all set to swallow the C4 and everything. I picked it up immediately and BOY HOWDY was it kickass.

So yeah, Brandon Sanderson for the win. Anyone else read them?

ThornGhost
03-29-2012, 06:18 AM
I haven't read The Alloy of Law yet, but I read the original Mistborn trilogy a year or two ago and really enjoyed them.

It was clear that Sanderson had the whole trilogy neatly mapped out from the beginning. The whole thing is essentially a very well measured series of ever-escalating reveals that keeps the reader hooked perfectly. The man knows his craft.

I've had a hard time getting my friends to finish the series, though. I think he broke things off a little too cleanly at the end of the first novel and some of my pals just didn't feel like there was anything else to say. You're left with maybe one tiny mystery to keep the story going from book 1 to 2, which just isn't enough for some people I guess.

True story: I met Brandon Sanderson at Dragon*Con a couple of years back. It was about 3am and he was chilling in the Wheel of Time room just playing some Magic the Gathering with some WoT fans. I was exceedingly drunk and a guy dressed as a wizard introduced me to him. He was a perfect gentlemen, even at that late hour to an unknown drunk fan and gave me an autographed copy of Mistborn. That's one reason I will always think very well of the guy.

Trihan
03-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Yeah, he seems like a really nice, down-to-earth guy. I've read his sidenotes on the series and love his matter-of-fact style that acknowledges things he's not happy with.

I see the point about The Final Empire being rounded off a bit too nicely, though I'd say the hook of what you-know-who's last words meant is enough. And there's always the promise of more Sazed. We love us some Sazed.

Loki
03-29-2012, 06:50 AM
I'm not a big fan of capital F fantasy, but Mistborn was pretty alright. It was wearing out its welcome close to the end, I felt like it probably could have been about a fifth shorter and no worse for it, but still good times were had. I'm all of ThornGhost's friends though, I had no desire to move onto the next book. And I certainly won't be jumping on Wheel of Time anytime soon.

Tanto
03-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Relevant to this discussion! (http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1067/Announcing-the-Mistborn-Video-Game)

shivam
03-29-2012, 10:28 AM
I love mistborn. I love it so much that i was asked to contribute to the mistborn RPG. it seriously is one of the best high fantasy trilogies to come out in the 2000s.

Alloy of Law is even better, but it only works if you know the setting.

The thing is, Sanderson is an incredible planner. He has not just the mistborn universe plotted, but all of his novels plotted, and all in the same overarching metaverse, with a publishing schedule mapped out for like the next 20 years.

Evil Dead Junkie
03-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Relevant to this discussion! (http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1067/Announcing-the-Mistborn-Video-Game)

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h476/evildeadjunkie21/ohgodyes.jpg

shivam
03-29-2012, 11:10 AM
i...don't understand what that means.

Netbrian
03-29-2012, 11:34 AM
The thing is, Sanderson is an incredible planner. He has not just the mistborn universe plotted, but all of his novels plotted, and all in the same overarching metaverse, with a publishing schedule mapped out for like the next 20 years.

Wait, his books are in the same metaverse? What does this mean -- are Elantris and Warbreaker related somehow?

Trihan
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM

BEST DAY.

Tanto
03-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Wait, his books are in the same metaverse? What does this mean -- are Elantris and Warbreaker related somehow?

The spirit which gives Elantrians their powers and the one who raises the Returned both exist in the same pantheon. (As do Preservation and Ruin from the Mistborn books.) In addition, Hoid is a pan-dimensional traveler.

Evil Dead Junkie
03-29-2012, 12:09 PM
i...don't understand what that means.

OHGODYES

Behemoth
03-29-2012, 02:47 PM

Mediocre fantasy series gets mediocre RPG! News at 11!

Haha, just kidding; I'm sure the RPG will be great.

Loki
03-29-2012, 02:50 PM
I kept thinking while I was reading that it was basically a video game anyways.

taosterman
03-29-2012, 06:44 PM
I kept thinking while I was reading that it was basically a video game anyways.

Pretty much, I even imagined the metal sub-abilities being selected off of a wheel that was projected over the action.

Trihan
03-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Pretty much, I even imagined the metal sub-abilities being selected off of a wheel that was projected over the action.

I would hit that SO HARD.

ThornGhost
03-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Let's pretend we've got a PS3-style controller here. Let's map out the control buttons.

D-Pad can be used to turn on and off constant-burn, background effects:

D-Pad Up - Activate/Deactivate Tin
D-Pad Down - Activate/Deactivate Bronze
D-Pad Right - Activate/Deactivate Pewter
D-Pad Left - Activate/Deactivate Copper

You're probably going to use Iron and Steel most of all, but I'd probably break it down into combat and movement uses mapped to different buttons.

R2 - Fire coins or whatever you have selected as your long-range weapon
L2 - Pull enemy weapon/discarded weapon toward you
R1 - Push off of large metal object
R2 - Pull toward large metal object

Then you've got basic face button controls:

X - Jump
Triangle - Contextual
O - Melee
Square - Block

Select - Menu

I dunno, there's probably a better way to handle it but that seems pretty solid.

Trihan
03-31-2012, 05:12 AM
How would you flare a metal with that control scheme?