PDA

View Full Version : Killing 8-bit Trees with E-Readers!

Pages : [1] 2

Falselogic
05-07-2012, 08:55 AM
I know I'm not the only person with an e-reader on the forum. I have a Kindle 2 with free forever 3G (this is the last one with the keyboard). It's a nice little workhorse.

This weekend as the Missus and I begin looking to downsize before the move in the fall. I went through my books, anything that I could get for free on the Kindle went into a stack.

By the end of the day that stack had over 100 books in it!? Then I went through the stack and sold as many of them as I could back to Amazon, the rest went on freecycle.

I ended up shipping a 40pd box of books to Amazon for $80 worth of credit.

Has anyone else bit the bullet with their e-reader and started using it to replace their dead tree library?

Would some of you never do that even if you could?

DANoWAR
05-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Would some of you never do that even if you could?

I would not replace all of my books, just...just...

I would not replace my books.

I just can't. Books are physical things I enjoy (even if I don't read that much). It's not like games where you put your game in your system, install it and don't need to touch the game again until you're finished.

Falselogic
05-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I would not replace all of my books, just...just...

I would not replace my books.

I just can't. Books are physical things I enjoy (even if I don't read that much). It's not like games where you put your game in your system, install it and don't need to touch the game again until you're finished.

It's just like that! I still have all the information that was in the books that I got rid of. Now though their in bits instead of blots of ink on paper. The information hasn't changed the medium.

Patrick
05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Books take up a ton of space in my apartment and are a pain in the ass to move, and that's the way I like it!

I have a Kindle Touch. I've used it a bit, but I haven't latched on to it the way some people have. I'm annoyed that the lines are all right justified, and also that I can't flip through pages quickly (one of the books I read was a textbook), and that there isn't any cover. I tend to buy a lot of books used and loan them out constantly (I have multiple copies of some of my favorites), so I don't see myself actually getting rid of books on purpose. I feel like I have too many gadgets as is, between my iPhone, Macbook Air, DSi and Vita. I tend to just bring my iPhone with me and spend more time reading on the Instapaper (http://www.instapaper.com)app than the Kindle. And I had Instapaper articles sent to Kindle for a while, but the interface is considerably worse than the iOS app.

Sorry to come in here to crap on eReaders, it's not so much that I dislike them as they just don't fit into my life.

Nyarlathotep
05-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Books take up a ton of space in my apartment and are a pain in the ass to move, and that's the way I like it!
X1000

I do like the kindle though. It's really really convenient and kind of fun. I'm not sure why e-books are so novel to me, but it's just kind of cool to use.

Egarwaen
05-07-2012, 12:41 PM
I've stopped buying paper books whenever possible. Between the Kindle and the iPad, I simply don't feel much need for them. The iPad is great for the ore graphically-rich stuff, the Kindle for anything that's just text. If you'd have asked me five years ago, I'd have said I'd never get the Kindle, that books were just too good.

But... Having gotten a Kindle, I find I read way more than I used to. The amount of effort involved in reading is way lower, since I almost always have it with me, it fits in my pocket, and it's got all my stuff on it. And I can read it in sunlight - which, let me tell you, is GREAT for my "I need to be outside more" moments. And when sitting up and reading in bed, I don't need to worry about the logistics of turning pages...

Adam
05-07-2012, 12:53 PM
My wife and I have Sony Readers. Hers is amazing, which is good because I got it for her to replace the old touchscreen model that has shitty contrast (which is now mine). The best part is that we're both linked into the same account, so we can actually read books at the same time, instead of having to wait for the other person to finish.

Having multiple books on demand is amazing. I'm at the point where I'm starting to resent physical media of any sort, since anything digital is much easier to access. The only real advantage for books any more is that it's much easier to flip back a few pages (or more) if you want to reread a passage or reference something, even with ebook bookmarks.

shivam
05-07-2012, 01:40 PM
i like living in a world where i can have a kindle AND still buy books. I hate the idea of having a series started in paper and finished electronically, plus i'm very attached to meeting authors and having them autograph things.

plus, for books that i like lending out or want my wife to read, physical just works better. I can finish a book and hand it off to her and start the next right away, rather than having to wait for her to finish with the kindle.

That said, there are tons of books i want to read but don't want to own, and for that, the kindle is a masterwork, especially with libraries and stuff.

Egarwaen
05-07-2012, 02:22 PM
plus, for books that i like lending out or want my wife to read, physical just works better. I can finish a book and hand it off to her and start the next right away, rather than having to wait for her to finish with the kindle.

Yeah, more publishers need to enable the Kindle Lending feature.

On the upside, the anti-DRM wave appears to have started. Tor's declared defeat in the War on Piracy, and they're not small"

Patrick
05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Yeah, more publishers need to enable the Kindle Lending feature.

On the upside, the anti-DRM wave appears to have started. Tor's declared defeat in the War on Piracy, and they're not small"

Tor's stance is a really good start.

The problem with borrowing digital books is that publishers are leasing them to libraries for a certain number of loans, and there are restrictions on how many people can borrow them at once. So there are wait lists for things where there isn't a technical need for there to be. Also, once X number of people have read the digital copy, it's totally gone and the library has to re-buy the book to loan it out again. Basically, it's more restrictive and expensive than physical books, even though it is cheaper for the publishers amd they are completely unrestricted in how many they can sell for no extra investment. It's some real bullshit, is what I'm getting at.

Egarwaen
05-07-2012, 03:43 PM
The problem with borrowing digital books is that publishers are leasing them to libraries for a certain number of loans, and there are restrictions on how many people can borrow them at once. So there are wait lists for things where there isn't a technical need for there to be. Also, once X number of people have read the digital copy, it's totally gone and the library has to re-buy the book to loan it out again. Basically, it's more restrictive and expensive than physical books, even though it is cheaper for the publishers amd they are completely unrestricted in how many they can sell for no extra investment. It's some real bullshit, is what I'm getting at.

Oh yeah, that's bullshit and no mistake. But I'm referring to Lending Kindle Books (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320), which is for user-to-user lending.

Mazian
05-07-2012, 05:30 PM
"Kindle" and "lending" is a disaster in any context. The number of hoops you have to go through to check out a library e-book on a Kindle every single time, relative to absolutely any other reader on the market, is absurd. Yes, Amazon, we know you want us to just buy everything from you directly, but you don't need to be that obvious!

Rascally Badger
05-07-2012, 08:59 PM
I just got a Kindle and while I don't see myself replacing my books with digital copies, I love the thing. I love actually holding a book, physically touching it and turning the pages, but there is no beating the convenience of an e-reader.

I am fairly certain that I'll do nearly all of my classical reading my Kindle from now on, since they are free and right there. In fact I am working my way through some Dickens and Austen right now. But I can't see ever buying books, at least ones that I am anticipating, brand new digitally.

Adam
05-07-2012, 10:17 PM
All I have to do to check out books on my Reader is to go down to the library and renew my card. And I can't even be assed to do that much.

Grignr
05-08-2012, 05:47 PM
I've been buying new releases as e-books. It's pretty ideal for big fat fantasy or sci-fi tomes, though it's sad I no longer have complete hardback runs of Bujold or Brust or G.R.R. Martin. On the other hand, I'm out of shelf space. I still get physical copies of books for my kids most of the time.

I also like that you can read an e-book in parallel, since we have multiple Kindles. You don't have to wait for your wife to finish, just make sure to turn off wi-fi so it doesn't sync you to her location.

I did some book purging the past, so I'm actually repurchasing stuff I used to own. I had the first five WoT books in hardback (well, 3-5 in hardback, 2 in trade, and 1 in PB) and sold them off when the series obviously wasn't going anywhere soon and I've picked them up again as they've been reissued. I've repurchased some Barbara Hambly books I used to own Way Back and the Dragonbone Chair books.

There was no way I could have ever physically stored every book I've ever read but now e-books have made that possible.

Anyone know how I can get pottermore to sell me the UK version of the Potter books even though I'm in the US?

Paul le Fou
05-09-2012, 05:46 AM
Like shivam, I enjoy owning both and am glad I don't have to choose. I dream someday of having a library of my own in my little house, and plan to have a stand for the kindle (or whatever e-reader I have by then) there among the paper books. The kindle is great for traveling - both living abroad and shipping less stuff, and just taking it on the train/bus with you - and the instant ubiquitous search/buy/download is nice and convenient as well. Plus free e-books through Gutenberg etc. NOT TO MENTION, I read my friend's book's first draft as a kindle e-book - great for self-publishing or even just passing around to friends.

That said, I do like a good book in my hands. You'll never get to enjoy the cinnamon-vanilla smell of an old kindle. On the other hand, I may just be married to tradition. The more I read on a kindle, the more attached to it I become, and don't feel much of a difference. I certainly wouldn't have to lug that fucking tome around to keep reading 1Q84...

Excitemike
05-09-2012, 07:40 AM
free forever 3G

For as long as there is a 3G. Currently, the 2G networks are being scrapped in order to provide spectrum for 4G and I suspect the same will happen in the next generation.

And I love my e-reader! But it's more for convenience of carrying a library around with me, not looking to replace real books. I feel the same about digital comics, the experience is tied to the physical media unlike music, movies, tv, etc.

Karzac
05-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I've considered buying an e-reader, but I don't think it would be worth the investment for me. I already read a lot, so maybe the extra portability would increase that, but probably not by much. And I borrow most of my books from the library/friends/family nowadays, so I don't think it would save me much money. I also suspect that if I were to get an e-reader I would start a whole bunch of books without finishing them and that's not something I need.

But I do understand the appeal and it is very tempting.

Evil Dead Junkie
05-09-2012, 01:44 PM
About a year after buying my Nook I find that I split Ebooks and physical ones pretty much down the middle. Though I tend to buy authors I am used to reading in physical form in that format and authors I am used to in Ebook on Ebook. In other words I just bought The Wind Through The Keyhole as a book but will almost certainly buy Redshirts as an Ebook.

Interestingly enough though this is shifting a bit, thanks to my new job whose employee discount makes physical books ridiculously cheap. If say Mucho Mojo (http://www.amazon.com/Mucho-Mojo-Leonard-Vintage-Lizard/dp/0307455394/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336596028&sr=8-1-spell) costs me ten dollars for an ebook and three for a physical. Its not even a choice. Even if the rest of my Lansdale is electronic.

That being said, I fully intend to buy as many comics as possible in eformat. Right now that means mostly Marvel, I am collecting Grant Morrison's Run on Xmen. And picked up Ultimates and New Avengers in the wake of The Avengers. Its just way more convenient than shelves full of trades.

What I like about ereaders is the serendipity they allow for. I pick up a Peter Straub non fiction collection that had no idea existed for five bucks, and in it I read an excellent essay on Lawerence Blocks Scudder series. I go to Lawerence Blocks page and see that the first Scudder books are .99 cents a pop. The ease of purchase makes it somewhere beyond even an impulse buy. That being said the majority of pricing is nowhere near that reasonable. But its nice that the older catalogue titles are moving in that direction rather than being used to bolster arbitrary price points.

ArugulaZ
05-09-2012, 04:32 PM
No. Absolutely, positively, definitively not. I collect video game books, man! They're one of a kind, and while I don't read them that often, I could never just give them up because I had them in a digital format. I feel the same way about my old fanzines. Again, I don't read them very often, but they're MINE, and I'll sit on them like a dragon on his horde 'till the day I die.

Having said that, I'd like to have electronic versions of all my literature as an option. It'd be nice to flip through the pages of Ken Uston's SCORE! Beating the Top Sixteen Video Games without the risk of harming my original copy. Same goes for Mastering Pac-Man (which isn't in great shape, but whatever) and the tons of old magazines I either have or once had. I'd love... just absolutely LOVE to have all the issues of Video Games and Computer Entertainment at my fingertips.

I don't currently have an e-reader, but the Android phone I've got coming in the mail can be used for that purpose. And likely will be once it arrives. It's got 24 gigs of total storage... might as well make the most of it!

teg
05-10-2012, 05:09 AM
I like how unabashedly anti-ereader this thread is. :3c

Personally I'm fascinated by the technology behind e-ink screens. The display works on a deceptively simple mechanism. I'm just waiting for colour e-ink to become a thing. Right now a few companies have pulled it off, but it looks very washed-out, like reading old newspaper comics.

http://i.imgur.com/u3s0J.jpg

I'd like to see colour readers in higher resolutions, in the hopes that comic book publishers will give them more support. I'd love it if Vertical started publishing to e-readers.

Grignr
05-10-2012, 05:40 AM
I like how unabashedly anti-ereader this thread is. :3c

Here's the thing, though. Even as much as we love books, they fall apart. They go out of print. An e-book is pretty much just html, it's small and dumb and you can read it on almost anything.

Even as a kid trying to read things from the public library, there were always the dread words "not in print" and "unavailable for request." Ever since the government ruled that the unsold inventory of books was taxable, books have been destroyed by bookstores because of the costs of storing the stock. Libraries remove books that aren't checked out frequently enough because of the costs of maintaining inventory. E-books now make the long tail work in favor of the reader.

ThornGhost
05-10-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm just waiting for colour e-ink to become a thing.

This is pretty much me. From time to time I really crave getting a Kindle, but I'm certain that we're close to some really nice color e-ink screens and I stay my hand.

I would never consider reading on any sort of backlit device, considering how much of my day is spent staring at backlit screens to begin with. I'd really like my eyes to last until I'm old.

Patrick
05-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Here's the thing, though. Even as much as we love books, they fall apart. They go out of print. An e-book is pretty much just html, it's small and dumb and you can read it on almost anything.

Even as a kid trying to read things from the public library, there were always the dread words "not in print" and "unavailable for request." Ever since the government ruled that the unsold inventory of books was taxable, books have been destroyed by bookstores because of the costs of storing the stock. Libraries remove books that aren't checked out frequently enough because of the costs of maintaining inventory. E-books now make the long tail work in favor of the reader.

An e-book is HTML plus really restrictive DRM. You can't own an e-book, only lease it from the publisher. If a publisher goes out of business, the book is no longer available at all. The reason that books go out of print is not because of issues with physical media, but because of copyright law. No one can print a book except for the owner of the copyright, and copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years (for the most part, there are tons of exceptions). For a huge number of books, the owner of the copyright is unknown, and it is illegal for anyone to print new copies of them (and that includes creating digital copies).

So, on a technical level e-books would allow libraries to store more books, and online bookstores are effectively infinite, but copyright issues and licensing agreements are going to create the same issues that you are complaining about.

Falselogic
05-10-2012, 08:23 AM
An e-book is HTML plus really restrictive DRM. You can't own an e-book, only lease it from the publisher. If a publisher goes out of business, the book is no longer available at all. The reason that books go out of print is not because of issues with physical media, but because of copyright law. No one can print a book except for the owner of the copyright, and copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years (for the most part, there are tons of exceptions). For a huge number of books, the owner of the copyright is unknown, and it is illegal for anyone to print new copies of them (and that includes creating digital copies).

So, on a technical level e-books would allow libraries to store more books, and online bookstores are effectively infinite, but copyright issues and licensing agreements are going to create the same issues that you are complaining about.

Not all books are DRM crippled. Especially the ones that are in the public domain. Not to mention that DRM as ever is ridiculously easy to crack.

Tor and other publishers are beginning to move away from DRM as well.

Patrick
05-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Public domain is great, but it's now life plus 70 years! Back when it was 28 or 56 years that was reasonable, but almost nothing that is written during our lifetimes will be in public domain before we die.

Even with DRM-free books or cracking DRM, it is illegal to use them in ways that are not agreed on in the license. Libraries won't be able to use them, and bookstores can't sell them. Pirating has the possibility of influencing the way that laws and licenses are formed, but it is not a solution in itself, except for the few people who are going to abuse it. Honestly, the idea of pirating books bothers me a lot more than it does for other media. The purpose of copyright is to provide authors a limited monopoly over their work so that they are encouraged to make new works. I think that our current laws are flawed, but throwing out copyright altogether would do a lot more harm than good. Authors deserve to be paid for what they do.

Falselogic
05-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Public domain is great, but it's now life plus 70 years! Back when it was 28 or 56 years that was reasonable, but almost nothing that is written during our lifetimes will be in public domain before we die.

Even with DRM-free books or cracking DRM, it is illegal to use them in ways that are not agreed on in the license. Libraries won't be able to use them, and bookstores can't sell them. Pirating has the possibility of influencing the way that laws and licenses are formed, but it is not a solution in itself, except for the few people who are going to abuse it. Honestly, the idea of pirating books bothers me a lot more than it does for other media. The purpose of copyright is to provide authors a limited monopoly over their work so that they are encouraged to make new works. I think that our current laws are flawed, but throwing out copyright altogether would do a lot more harm than good. Authors deserve to be paid for what they do.

We're not going to get into a copyright argument in this thread.

Patrick
05-10-2012, 09:11 AM
We're not going to get into a copyright argument in this thread.

Fine with me.

I think that e-books have the potential to be more useful than physical books in most ways once readers improve. Right now they're being artificially restricted by copyright and licensing, which makes them, to me, much less useful than physical books. Pirating books would bypass a lot of these problems, but it's not something that I'm interested in. I think it is within the power of publishers to make better DRM (think Steam instead of GFWL), or to create a better system for selling books that is profitable without inconveniencing customers (think iTunes). I think that I would be fine with pirating if these were unfixable problems, but I don't think they are. Things are just kind of a mess right now and it's going to take some time for everyone to figure this stuff out.

One thing in particular that I think would help is if Libraries used their collective weight to force publishers into changing their licensing terms. Libraries and schools are among the book publishing industries biggest customers, they should have a lot more of a say in how this stuff happens.

Falselogic
05-10-2012, 09:14 AM
One thing in particular that I think would help is if Libraries used their collective weight to force publishers into changing their licensing terms. Libraries and schools are among the book publishing industries biggest customers, they should have a lot more of a say in how this stuff happens.

That is starting to happen! (http://boingboing.net/2012/05/10/libraries-set-out-to-own-their.html)

Egarwaen
05-10-2012, 09:52 AM
An e-book is HTML plus really restrictive DRM.

Not true! DRM is, in fact, an optional add-on to all presently extant Ebook standards. Yes, even Mobi!

You can't own an e-book, only lease it from the publisher.

Not true! This is a common assertion by publishers, but is based on an untested interpretation of copyright law. It's also far from universal - O'Reilly (http://shop.oreilly.com/category/customer-service/ebooks.do) explicitly classifies your purchase as a purchase, even going so far as to permit resale and lending. I believe Baen does something similar, as do numerous "indie" DRM-free Ebook publishers, author cooperatives, etc.

Don't confuse the business practices of Apple and Amazon with the limitations of Ebooks as a concept. As the market grows, they'll be forced to shed their coercive practices, just like Apple was with iTunes Music.

Patrick
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
That is starting to happen! (http://boingboing.net/2012/05/10/libraries-set-out-to-own-their.html)

That's awesome, thanks for the link! I've been wondering if something like this is possible, and some of my teachers have been talking about how Libraries need to start hosting their own databases. It'll be interesting to see how cost effective buying + hosting will be compared to leasing a book. That's definitely something I'd like to see more of.

Patrick
05-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Not true! DRM is, in fact, an optional add-on to all presently extant Ebook standards. Yes, even Mobi!

Not true! This is a common assertion by publishers, but is based on an untested interpretation of copyright law. It's also far from universal - O'Reilly (http://shop.oreilly.com/category/customer-service/ebooks.do) explicitly classifies your purchase as a purchase, even going so far as to permit resale and lending. I believe Baen does something similar, as do numerous "indie" DRM-free Ebook publishers, author cooperatives, etc.

Don't confuse the business practices of Apple and Amazon with the limitations of Ebooks as a concept. As the market grows, they'll be forced to shed their coercive practices, just like Apple was with iTunes Music.

Apple used DRM as a way to placate music publishers, but yes, it's something that major publishers are doing, not a necessary element of e-books. Right now, though, Libraries and consumers are much more restricted in the ways they can use e-books than they ways they can use physical books. I think you're right that it's going to become better, but it's hard to say how it's going to shake out. Game publishers haven't given up on DRM, and also use platform specific games as a way to restrict use. Amazon is doing the same thing with the Kindle format and by restricting epub books from being used on a Kindle. It's hard to say if ebooks are going to become as "free" as MP3s, or if there will still be a layer of restrictions that become more acceptable.

Egarwaen
05-10-2012, 10:22 AM
I think you're right that it's going to become better, but it's hard to say how it's going to shake out.

Not really. The publishers who don't treat their customers like shit and don't waste money on useless con-job technology will out-compete those that don't. Even with video games, you'll note that the only DRM that gets tolerated these days is the kind that doesn't get noticed.

Amazon is doing the same thing with the Kindle format and by restricting epub books from being used on a Kindle.

I can read ePubs on my Kindle just fine. I mean, I need to take five seconds to feed them through KindleGen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000234621) or Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/), but whatever. Hardly the same thing as PS3-exclusives.

Patrick
05-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Not really. The publishers who don't treat their customers like shit and don't waste money on useless con-job technology will out-compete those that don't. Even with video games, you'll note that the only DRM that gets tolerated these days is the kind that doesn't get noticed.

I can read ePubs on my Kindle just fine. I mean, I need to take five seconds to feed them through KindleGen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000234621) or Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/), but whatever. Hardly the same thing as PS3-exclusives.

Similar to pirating, Calibre only fixes the problem for those on the far end of the digital divide. It's fine for you and me, but I would say that most people are technologically illiterate. Also, they make it difficult to use e-books purchased on amazon's store on a Nook, or to use either of those on a third device. I would say it is the same as the PS3 example in that it's an artificial (minimally or non-technical) restriction on what you can legally do with software that is imposed on you by the publisher.

And there is a huge difference to me between DRM-free and less noticeable DRM, because it has consequences on what one can legally do with something in the long run. Personal use of a book from 100 years ago is unrestricted, but that won't necessarily be the case with an e-book 100 years from now. E-books have the potential to make things better or worse, it's not set in stone yet.

Egarwaen
05-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Similar to pirating, Calibre only fixes the problem for those on the far end of the digital divide. It's fine for you and me, but I would say that most people are technologically illiterate.

You'd be surprised! It's admittedly a non-representative sample, but I've seen people on an author-fandom mailing list I'm on (Lois McMaster Bujold's) who are not precisely techy having detailed discussions about using Calibre to convert formats back and forth. I see a lot of it on the Romance blogs I follow too, and that's a thoroughly un-techie demographic.

Incidentally, if you want to see where the rest of the publishing industry is going to wind up in a couple of years, look at the Romance genre. They're way ahead of the curve on Ebooks, and accelerating rapidly.

Also, they make it difficult to use e-books purchased on amazon's store on a Nook, or to use either of those on a third device. I would say it is the same as the PS3 example in that it's an artificial (minimally or non-technical) restriction on what you can legally do with software that is imposed on you by the publisher.

Again, it's a DRM problem, not a format problem. There was a similar brouhaha a couple years back about Apple was "locking out" competing music players from playing songs purchased through iTunes. Record companies eventually wised up to the fact that it was their own short-sighted DRM fetish that created Apple's "monopoly" and started insisting on open, DRM-free formats for music...

That's fundamentally different from PS3 VS 360, where there's a significant technological barrier between the two consoles. Ebooks would be a snap to convert to whatever format you want... Except for DRM.

And there is a huge difference to me between DRM-free and less noticeable DRM, because it has consequences on what one can legally do with something in the long run. Personal use of a book from 100 years ago is unrestricted, but that won't necessarily be the case with an e-book 100 years from now. E-books have the potential to make things better or worse, it's not set in stone yet.

Right, which is why the Ebook standards community has such a raging boner for open, well-documented formats. That's the real evil of Mobi - it's a heinous format, based on an old PalmOS resource file format from the '90s.

Patrick
05-10-2012, 12:01 PM
You'd be surprised! It's admittedly a non-representative sample, but I've seen people on an author-fandom mailing list I'm on (Lois McMaster Bujold's) who are not precisely techy having detailed discussions about using Calibre to convert formats back and forth. I see a lot of it on the Romance blogs I follow too, and that's a thoroughly un-techie demographic.

Being on a mailing list is already more tech competent than a lot of people who use libraries. The difference between opening a book and downloading a file is like nothing to most of us, but for a lot of people it's huge.

Anyway, even for those who it does work for it's less elegant than just opening a book. Every extra action required by the reader is a knock against it. Those making e-books and ways to access e-books should be working to make it better than what it's replacing in every way. Extra complications like this are going to limit the penetration of the format.

Incidentally, if you want to see where the rest of the publishing industry is going to wind up in a couple of years, look at the Romance genre. They're way ahead of the curve on Ebooks, and accelerating rapidly.

I'll look into it, thanks.

Again, it's a DRM problem, not a format problem. There was a similar brouhaha a couple years back about Apple was "locking out" competing music players from playing songs purchased through iTunes. Record companies eventually wised up to the fact that it was their own short-sighted DRM fetish that created Apple's "monopoly" and started insisting on open, DRM-free formats for music...

That's fundamentally different from PS3 VS 360, where there's a significant technological barrier between the two consoles. Ebooks would be a snap to convert to whatever format you want... Except for DRM.

Ok, there is more of a difference between PS3 and 360, so that wasn't the best example. However, even if they were identical Sony and Microsoft wouldn't ever allow their games to run on the other system. It's about controlling a platform, and that's something that Amazon and Barnes & Noble are creating with their file type restrictions. Having to buy one e-reader is already an added expense that didn't exist with physical books, now think about having to buy two because Amazon and B&N have different exclusive books (something that's already happening).

EDIT: and just to be clear, Calibre is really useful, and I think that a lot of these issues are going to get sorted out in the relatively near future. I just don't want books to be subject to the same problems that games have with using legacy/restricted software and out of print items. I feel that people developing technology tend to be really short sighted, and I don't see the current form of e-books staying around for 2,000 years.

Falselogic
05-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Another 26 pd box on its way to Amazon, another $27 in my wallet and I can actually see some of my walls now!

Also, this is going to help when we move in a couple of months. Less to box, less to lug down the state, and less to unpack. With so few book shelves I might have wall space for all this art I've been collecting!

At this point I'm the same place regarding books as I am music. As close to "digital only" as I can get.

Eusis
05-13-2012, 04:18 PM
I'd like to get an e-Reader sometime, especially if they can make good colored versions (that'll be great for PDFs or digital guides), but I would want physical books around simply because they're the one form of media completely independent of any other devices to consume without the stipulation of going to an event or whatever, all you need are working eyes and a knowledge of the language, and even the former isn't inherently necessary with braille books. Still, it'd be nice to have for books I don't want to OWN physically, or for the few books where they do take advantage of how it's out of print but can be kept around for cheap as an eBook.

christoffing
05-13-2012, 04:32 PM
I'd like to get an e-Reader sometime, especially if they can make good colored versions (that'll be great for PDFs or digital guides), but I would want physical books around simply because they're the one form of media completely independent of any other devices to consume without the stipulation of going to an event or whatever, all you need are working eyes and a knowledge of the language, and even the former isn't inherently necessary with braille books. Still, it'd be nice to have for books I don't want to OWN physically, or for the few books where they do take advantage of how it's out of print but can be kept around for cheap as an eBook.

Call me a luddite, but much as I can see how e-readers are convenient, and I'm willing to use them for carrying a bunch of textbooks and course literature with me or whatever, I find the experience of reading on them for any length of time endlessly frustrating. The physical structure of the book is intrinsic to the reading experience to me; reading a novel on an e-reader is akin to playing SNES games on those touch-screen emulators. It's ostensibly the same text, but it loses a lot of readability as well as part of it's structure.

I also find the digitalization of literature endlessly worrying. Thankfully I don't live in an authoritan state or anything, but the idea that it's possible for anyone, let alone major economic interests, to both monitor exactly what I'm reading at any given moment and to have complete control of what literature I can lay hands on, is deeply disturbing to me.

Eusis
05-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah, that's the other thing, it really IS a different experience. Once you get into a game it rarely makes any difference whether it's on a physical disc/cart or on the system, it's ALWAYS been digital and dependent on the hardware (which is why "digital version" has always been somewhat of a misnomer), and to a lesser extent the same applies to music, depending on how you usually listen to it, with movies mainly being a matter of menus and options. For a book, it just feels very different, especially when you go to varying vintages, an eReader won't be capturing that.

Though there are some in here who seem to notice that less once they get into an eReader... well, there's still the angle there's a greater degree of control allowed to companies here.

Zef
05-13-2012, 05:40 PM
I read a LOT outdoors. During the commute, at the park, at the bus/train stop, waiting for a movie, etc. I can easily carry a standard-size paperback in my hand as I walk around, and other than a bit of wear to the edges of the cover, nothing happens.

I'd really like a tablet-style e-reader, one with internet connectivity, but I'd probably never take it out of the house or the office :( I'd be too apprehensive about it getting stolen or damaged. About the only real use I'd really get out of it that a book couldn't match would be at the gym, since it'd be easy to set it on top of the treadmill or elliptical and just read away.

Egarwaen
05-13-2012, 05:50 PM
I read a LOT outdoors. During the commute, at the park, at the bus/train stop, waiting for a movie, etc. I can easily carry a standard-size paperback in my hand as I walk around, and other than a bit of wear to the edges of the cover, nothing happens.

One of the nice things about the Kindle and the Nook - and, let's be honest, most phones fall into the same category - is that they're very light, very small, and very durable. And entirely readable in direct sunlight. My Kindle Touch feels easier to hold than most paperbacks. It's lighter, I don't have to change my grip on it while I'm reading, I can move around without losing my page...

Zef
05-13-2012, 06:52 PM
It's not the portability or the feel of it that I object to, but I'm extremely paranoid about being seen outside carrying hundred-dollar-plus devices. The "nothing happens" part is more related to how carrying a book in your hand doesn't attract attention, but I'm leery even of taking out my phone or iPod in public. The rash of cellphone thefts on Boston's public transport system didn't help matters!

Paul le Fou
05-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Call me a luddite, but much as I can see how e-readers are convenient, and I'm willing to use them for carrying a bunch of textbooks and course literature with me or whatever, I find the experience of reading on them for any length of time endlessly frustrating. The physical structure of the book is intrinsic to the reading experience to me; reading a novel on an e-reader is akin to playing SNES games on those touch-screen emulators. It's ostensibly the same text, but it loses a lot of readability as well as part of it's structure.

I dunno, I haven't actually had this problem. On my non-backlit kindle, the device has usually disappeared into the books, I've found. I can easily hold it in one hand or the other and not have to shift my grip, or prop my finger in the page, or worry about setting it down and lose my page, or the one that really blew me away is that I can just set it down flat in front of me (or prop it up on something) and keep reading entirely hands-free - no weighting it down or maneuvering things to stay open, or putting it upside-down while I do something else. It's as easy as a book to look at in any lighting.

Most of my issues with the device itself come from technology limitations - slight ghosting of text on the page after a turn, no color, harder to navigate (due to bad menu layouts and limited options)

Also, my sore fucking shoulders from having a 1000 page hardback in my goddamn bag all day would really have appreciated that e-reader today

Wolfgang
05-13-2012, 10:44 PM
You guys are A. Dorable.

Grignr
05-14-2012, 03:36 AM
Most of my issues with the device itself come from technology limitations - slight ghosting of text on the page after a turn

Fix the ghosting by turning on "every-page refresh" in your settings. This was added in a firmware update if you don't see it now.

I bought my wife the $79 Kindle last Christmas to replace her 2nd Gen Kindle because it's so small and light and the loss in battery capacity/memory is negligible, considering the demands of normal Kindle usage. You can deactivate a Kindle from your Amazon account it if gets stolen, you can easily restore purchases from your account, and it's cheap enough now that I don't worry about the device itself (your mileage may vary on whether you consider that cheap, but it's the same price as my watch and my car keys would be more expensive to replace.)

Falselogic
05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
I talk about this more on my blog today (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2012/05/14/going-digital-books/)

Vega
05-16-2012, 03:45 AM
I've bought a few books through iBook on my iPod touch, but the selection is poor relative to Amazon's new and used physical book selection.

How does lending or renting work for digital books? I do most of my paper book reading through libraries, so I don't need to hold onto most books forever.

In general, how are digital comics, especially on a good display like iPad 3's? I assume a big problem is that, unlike text, there's no easy way to reformat comic panels for different screens, but comics still have to sell to all varieties of gadgets.

For a book, it just feels very different, especially when you go to varying vintages, an eReader won't be capturing that.

Many of the classics were handwritten, written on parchment, papyrus, scrolls, etc. You don't get those experiences from a physical bookstore. Since it's cheaper to send bits than pages, there could be a market for handwritten books scanned and distributed as a series of JPEGs.

Grignr
05-16-2012, 03:49 AM
In general, how are digital comics, especially on a good display like iPad 3's? I assume a big problem is that, unlike text, there's no easy way to reformat comic panels for different screens, but comics still have to sell to all varieties of gadgets.

Digital comics are great on the iPad3. You don't have to reformat the panels (I think they just script panning motions anyway for small screens). On a tablet, you just read a full page on the tablet screen, although I have to hold the tablet portait to read a single full page and hold it landscape to read a two-page splash layout. People with better eyes may be able to always hold it landscape for continuous two-page reading. The new HD resolution supports it, it's just too tiny for me.

christoffing
05-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Many of the classics were handwritten, written on parchment, papyrus, scrolls, etc. You don't get those experiences from a physical bookstore. Since it's cheaper to send bits than pages, there could be a market for handwritten books scanned and distributed as a series of JPEGs.

Well, my distaste for ebooks is not a striving for authenticity. I read far too many translated pocket books for that sort of reasoning to make sense, and I think authenticity is basically a petit-bourgeois sort of value to prescribe to any cultural experience. I cannot ever experience the Illiad in an authentic manner because my response to it will obviously be colored by millenia of societal and cultural changes.

So, yeah, I don't think the physical form of the book is more authentic, I just prefer the way a book gets structured around it. I would prefer reading a book over reading a handwritten manuscript or a papyrus as well, at least if my main purpose was to absorb the text as opposed to analyze the author's handwriting.

Egarwaen
05-16-2012, 10:11 AM
How does lending or renting work for digital books? I do most of my paper book reading through libraries, so I don't need to hold onto most books forever.

Generally depends on some kind of DRM system. Basically, you get a copy of the book and a license that tells the DRM system on your reader "stop permitting this to be read after such-and-such date."

Vega
05-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Digital comics are great on the iPad3.
I should have worded that differently. Of course the iPad 3 is the gold standard for digital comics viewing, but will it go to waste if comics publishers aim for the lowest common denominator and standardize on Kindle Fire's 7 inch 1024 x 600 screen? Are they doing so?

Egarwaen
05-16-2012, 10:01 PM
I should have worded that differently. Of course the iPad 3 is the gold standard for digital comics viewing, but will it go to waste if comics publishers aim for the lowest common denominator and standardize on Kindle Fire's 7 inch 1024 x 600 screen? Are they doing so?

Comics publishers are still aiming for the standard print comic sizes they always have. The iPad is good at displaying these as-is; other screens with some minor alterations. Given the huge aunt of easily-scanned material out there in this format, I have a hard time seeing why they'd change.

Grignr
05-17-2012, 03:54 AM
Comixology upgraded their format for the iPad 3: comics tagged CMX-HD in the digital store are "retina" resolution. The new issues seem to be coming out (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/03/19/comixology-hd-comics/) at this resolution and they're updating the back catalog. I bought the new Batwoman run when I got the iPad 3 and issue #1 was at old resolution and #2+ was at HD. It all looked really good, though. That article says you only get the increased resolution (and file size) if you're downloading to the iPad 3, though. Comixology has free issues so try viewing one on your PC and you'll see even the non-HD images look pretty good on a computer screen (at least, they look good on a friend's Xoom tablet).

Now if you're buying DC graphic novels from Amazon, those are probably intended for the Kindle Fire, so I don't know that they'd upgrade the resolution yet. But the Fire won't be the last table Amazon releases.

Egarwaen
05-29-2012, 01:59 PM
So, my former employer posted another anti-Amazon screed (http://radar.oreilly.com/2012/05/amazon-ebooks-advertising.html) today. And you know what? I just don't buy it anymore. This idea that Amazon's using the Kindle as a backdoor to massive discounts with an endgame of SECRET PIRACY free books for all is ridiculous. I mean, just read that article. It's a bunch of scare-mongering combined with infantile temper-tantrum whining, trying to sell the idea that if publishers' ability to act as monopolies gets taken away and they actually have to, you know, compete and deal with marketplace forces, all reading will stop forever.

Since buying my Kindle, I've gotten more willing to pay for books, not less, regardless of price point. In fact, I'd say that price point has really stopped mattering. I've bought books in the $9.99 range from Amazon. I've bought books in the $5 range direct from publishers. I've bought books in the $15 range direct from authors (VIA Kickstarter, mostly). How much I'm willing to pay depends more on how sure I am I'll like what I'm getting.

Yes, I get it. Publishers are scared that they aren't relevant anymore. They're scared that they won't be able to get away with opaque yearly royalty statements anymore. They're scared that they might have to actually think about business, rather than just accounting, if they don't have the massive up-front cash infusion provided by the returns system. And yes, most of those fears are well-founded. Publishers are less important than they used to be, and diminishing every day.

But as a reader or an author? It doesn't really matter. There's the potential for middlemen to get ruthlessly cut out of the distribution chain. And that only ever benefits those at either end. And this notion that Amazon's going to be able to price its books down to zero, load them up with advertisements, and run Apple and B&N out of business is laughable. Apple has the largest cash-on-hand reserve of any US company ever. B&N... Less so, but they're still likely to remain a thriving alternative, just because customers don't like crowning a monopoly if they can possibly avoid it.

Falselogic
05-29-2012, 02:05 PM
But as a reader or an author? It doesn't really matter. There's the potential for middlemen to get ruthlessly cut out of the distribution chain. And that only ever benefits those at either end. And this notion that Amazon's going to be able to price its books down to zero, load them up with advertisements, and run Apple and B&N out of business is laughable. Apple has the largest cash-on-hand reserve of any US company ever. B&N... Less so, but they're still likely to remain a thriving alternative, just because customers don't like crowning a monopoly if they can possibly avoid it.

This is largely what is happening to the music industry. Publishers once had, and could still have, a valuable roll to play in the transmission of ideas. It is no longer mandatory though... See Amanda Palmer. For books see that Twenty Shades of Grey author. Except, the next time there won't be a need to get a traditional publisher.

Egarwaen
05-29-2012, 02:54 PM
This is largely what is happening to the music industry. Publishers once had, and could still have, a valuable roll to play in the transmission of ideas. It is no longer mandatory though... See Amanda Palmer. For books see that Twenty Shades of Grey author. Except, the next time there won't be a need to get a traditional publisher.

Right. And so many publishers are built around the idea that their participation is mandatory that they can't handle even the suggestion that it isn't.

Karzac
05-30-2012, 07:43 AM
The only issue I have with publishers disappearing is that they often provide valuable resources to authors, such as editors and agents. I could see agents falling by the wayside, but every author needs an editor. Are those just all going to be on a freelance basis now?

Egarwaen
05-30-2012, 10:58 AM
The only issue I have with publishers disappearing is that they often provide valuable resources to authors, such as editors and agents. I could see agents falling by the wayside, but every author needs an editor. Are those just all going to be on a freelance basis now?

Agents aren't provided by the publisher. They contract directly with the author to manage the complications of negotiating with a publisher. Marketing, editing, and "brand curation" are the three services primarily provided by publishers. Editing has been getting cut back for a while now; it still happens, but less aggressively than it used to. Marketing has gone out the window almost entirely. Authors are now almost entirely responsible for their own marketing, with the exception of a handful of already-successful mega-hit authors. Ditto "brand curation". One of the most popular phrases at O'Reilly in the last year I was there was "the author is the brand". Meaning that we'd run our own name through the muck so aggressively that it didn't have the value it used to. So instead we'd take a successful author and use their name to sell not just their books, but lots of other people's books too.

This is why you see so many books "co-authored" by popular, successful authors. David Pogue, for example, has "co-authored" an implausible number of O'Reilly's Missing Manuals series. David Weber and Mercedes Lackey do or did the same for military sci-fi and urban fantasy.

fugu13
05-30-2012, 01:57 PM

There'll definitely be a lot more freelance editing; there already is.

I do see the need for publishers, ongoing, but I suspect a publisher will in many ways be more like a super-agent than a shrunk down publisher. That is, a publisher will be someone who vets, arranges for preparation services (editing, cover art, basic PR), and provides an imprimatur for readers to be guided by, in exchange for a modest percentage (but no up front fee -- the publisher is also taking on a risk). One of the biggest reasons for existing publishers, the supply chain, basically doesn't exist with ebooks (there are some related issues, but they're not really the same at all).

People in publishing are astonishingly myopic about the huge sea change that's happening, too. For instance, take Writer Beware's recent coverage of self publishing survey data (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2012/05/two-surveys.html).

Here's a bit of data, and Writer Beware's take:

- 10% of self-publishing authors earn 75% of royalties--a statistic that's eerily similar to the income breakout in traditional publishing. (Only about 60% of the more than 1,000 respondents were willing to answer questions about their earnings.)

It's a valuable counter to the hype that surrounds self-publishing, and hopefully gives authors who are considering this alternative more tools with which to realistically evaluate their goals.

First, they're just messed up about what the "hype" surrounding self publishing is. Nobody being taken seriously as a promoter of self publishing is saying anything like what they seem to think is being said. What is being said is that an author who releases a solid body (this means multiple works, say two or three with a new one every year or less) of decent quality work by self publishing stands a very good chance to recoup at least as much as they'd receive from a mainstream publisher.

Note that in a survey of self-publishing, around 10% of the authors earned 75% of the royalties (and this wasn't just "pro" self-publishers -- most of them were earning very little). Writer Beware takes this to mean that self-publishing is no more likely to be a source of revenue than traditional publishing, but that's a hideous misreading of the statistic.

Think about it: the question is, if a person were to attempt traditional publishing or traditional publishing, which would earn more? So, we need to look at comparable sets of people. Those who pursue traditional publishing can be grouped into two groups: those who get a book contract, and those who don't. The self-publishing group surveyed includes many people who never would have gotten a book contract: every single self-publisher with even a little revenue (and almost all in this survey are selling at least a few books a month) in the survey is already doing better, in both exposure and money, than they would have pursuing traditional publishing.

Then there's the second group, who would've been traditionally published. Well, how well are they doing? For estimating that, this is a far more relevant statistic:

- The 29% of respondents who went from a traditional publisher to self-publishing earned twice as much on their own as they did from their publishers.

Since most authors never earn out their contracts (have total royalties larger than their advance) and self published ebooks tend to be lower priced, this almost certainly means that, even with the greater percentage take, these authors are reaching a much wider audience. Imagine what will happen when ebooks become more widely adopted?

I mean, the myth that there aren't many self published authors making substantial sums of money is so easily dismissed. Go to the kindle store. Click down a couple of category levels in some sort of genre fiction. Look through the top 30 or so titles. I bet you 5 to 8 of them are pretty obviously self published (and some self publishers have become very good at looking like traditional publishers) and not free. Then notice how the other books at similar rankings are many of them bestsellers. That's a heck of a lot of people self publishing for money in quantities competitive with mainstream ebook publishing. What's more, any book in the top 100 to 200 or so and pricing for at least $2.99 is probably earning more for the author over 5 years than authors get on average for a comparatively ranked mainstream book. That's not half bad.

TK Flash
06-13-2012, 11:20 PM
I got my Kindle almost a year ago and I love it. Living in Japan, import books usually see a 20-30% markup, and the space taken up by bookshelves hurts even more in the ridiculously small apartments we live in over here. If I could, I would junk every book I own and use that space for something else.

There's one aspect of the new age of e-readers that I think people are overlooking: they make a great gift for your baby boomer relatives who swear to never, ever abandon the printed book. They're affordable enough that you can give a few of them as gifts every year and they pack a lot of the "once you have it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it" factor. I gave a Kindle touch to my mom in May for her birthday and she loves it. Everyone I have ever showed my Kindle to tries to touch the screen only to be disappointed in its lack of touchsceen functions, so I wised up and bought her a Touch.

Little Sampson
07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Just got my new Kindle 4G to replace my 3G that was quickly breaking down. I very much like it! The lack of keyboard makes it so much smaller and lighter, and I don't miss the physical keyboard at all. This is the first time I've dealt with "Special Offers", but they don't seem like they'll bother me just being on the menu.

teekun
07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
I got my Kindle almost a year ago and I love it. Living in Japan, import books usually see a 20-30% markup

This is my main reason for loving my Kindle. A paperback book here in Australia can cost $20+ at times, which is absurd. Before the Kindle I was ordering overseas from Amazon and even with shipping it ended up saving me money.

DANoWAR
07-05-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm using my Sony PRS-T1 (or whatever its model is) mainly to read the pulp collection I've stored in the cellar. No more running downstairs to fish out the next "books".

Droewyn
07-06-2012, 09:00 AM
My bought-at-launch Nook is starting to act up. About half the time when I hit the page forward button it goes forward two pages instead of one.

I kind of want to get the latest model, especially for the battery life (I get 2-3 days), but I think my baby is going to have to get way more quirky before I start thinking about replacement.

Meg
08-07-2012, 10:47 AM
We got a Kindle 2 back when it came out, and in general I enjoy it -- I prefer the e-ink screen for reading over a computer screen, even if the Kindle interface is super clunky. The thing is, though, most of the time a book I'm looking for either doesn't have a Kindle version or the paperback version costs the same as digital, so 99% of the time I'm not using the Kindle. Fast forward to my problem: even with the wifi off and the Kindle turned off (not in sleep mode or indexing), the battery still discharges down to a critical battery failure screen after two or so weeks of non-use. I've been able to plug it in and recharge it, but apparently if it sits too long in the critical mode, the device can be unrepairable. Is this just the nature of an e-reader? I looked up and down Amazon faqs without learning anything, but it seems like a weird flaw that the device can drain its batteries enough to damage them permanently.

shivam
09-05-2012, 02:56 PM
If you haven't decided yet, you want a nook. (http://hackaday.com/2012/08/30/playstation-gaming-on-a-nook-simple-touch/)

Falselogic
09-05-2012, 03:14 PM
If you haven't decided yet, you want a nook. (http://hackaday.com/2012/08/30/playstation-gaming-on-a-nook-simple-touch/)

hah, I saw that. The play can't be any good...

Grignr
10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I think I'm putting the new Kindle Paperwhite (http://kotaku.com/5947435/kindle-paperwhite-review-forget-everything-else-this-is-the-e+reader-you-want?tag=review) on my Christmas list. I have the Kindle Keyboard (which is pretty nice) but I'm usually reading in the evening and have to use an awkward gooseneck LCD lamp on the bedpost and it would be worth the upgrade just to not need that. Higher res e-ink is good too.

Evil Dead Junkie
10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
cough (http://www.amazon.com/Son-Of-Danse-Macabre-ebook/dp/B009K6Q4UU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349194988&sr=8-1&keywords=Son+Of+Danse+Macabre)

Droewyn
10-07-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm saving up to replace my first-gen Nook and am trying to decide between the Kindle Paperwhite and Nook Glow.

See my extremely anal side-by-side comparison spreadsheet here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsKm3wgQ6JAudGVCalA4T0hua2dHNU5oX3VxVjg5c 0E#gid=0).

Grignr
10-07-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm saving up to replace my first-gen Nook and am trying to decide between the Kindle Paperwhite and Nook Glow.

Early reviews say the lighting is implemented better on the Kindle. I'd like to see a demo unit and I guess Best Buy will have them eventually, but haven't read any reports of them in the wild yet.

Also with the tiny touch-controlled models, you want to find a sleeve/case holder that's comfortable to hold so you can keep your fingers away from the screen.

fugu13
10-07-2012, 10:19 AM
I really, really love my paperwhite so far. The light quality is very high,

If you haven't seen the kindle ads in practice, find one in the wild. The ads only show up when you're not using it. I understand having dealbreakers, but they're pretty darn unobtrusive.

I don't mind the power adapter because I've got all the iphone power adapters with USB plugs, which work fine.

It fits in my pocket well, which I wasn't expecting.

The touchscreen responsiveness is really good. I can type full speed (for a handheld touchscreen).

If you're an amazon prime member, having a physical kindle gets you one free kindle lending library lent book a month (mostly less well known stuff, though I've started the Mongoliad).

Both the protection plans are clearly bad buys unless you are gadget-breakage prone.

Amazon includes substantial (5GB) of cloud storage and delivery for personal documents. Just send an email (from an authorized email address) with a document attached to a particular address and the document will not just appear on your kindle next it has a connection, but be available for downloading anywhere connected to your kindle account.

Grignr
10-07-2012, 10:27 AM
I really, really love my paperwhite so far. The light quality is very high

I would have had one of these at launch if my wife hadn't seen me with the Amazon page up and said "why don't you save something for Christmas?"

Droewyn
10-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Early reviews say the lighting is implemented better on the Kindle. I'd like to see a demo unit and I guess Best Buy will have them eventually, but haven't read any reports of them in the wild yet.

Also with the tiny touch-controlled models, you want to find a sleeve/case holder that's comfortable to hold so you can keep your fingers away from the screen.

I've read that the lighting is better on the Paperwhite (I WILL keep mistyping it as "Paperweight"). I haven't seen the Kindles live yet, but I have seen the Nooks, and they look okay. I don't expect to use the light very often, I just figured that if I'm going to be shelling out for a new reader I should spend the $20 and get the neat new feature as well.

Basically, by my reckoning, Kindle has a nicer looking display and better lighting. Nook has ... everything else. Especially cost: it'll run $40 more to get the Kindle when I figure in AC adapter and protection plan.

I'm a fan of M-Edge cases. Case + book stand is my preferred method of reading. Curled up on the couch is a close second.

Phantasia Knights
10-13-2012, 11:02 PM
I myself am struggling with the e-reader dilemma as within the next year I will be moving cross-country, and depending on how I end up getting everything there, the massive weight of my book collection may or may not be a massive problem price-wise.

My mom got a Kindle herself recently, and I have in fact got to mess about with it. I had to configure it for her, get her some samples, and other programmery, and she loves it. I even got her to get the Sword of Shannara trilogy as one of her first purchases, and she's really getting into that also.

As for me, aside from the concern over having to move that behemoth, I also have trouble getting rid of something so wonderfully simple as physical books. I'm not sure about my long-term adjustment to an e-reader, and I already have a full and overflowing shelf of hardbacks I have acquired over the years, including the entire Shannara series (some of which are autographed), and a nearly complete Dave Barry hardback collection. Those I know I wouldn't get rid of even if I could carry them around with me digitally, and I'd hate re-buying books I already have just for the added convenience. This is all a bit silly as I readily embraced steam and other digital game platforms, including my first day one 3DS purchase of New Super Mario Bros. 2, and I have in-fact bought games I already owned just for the minor upgrades and to not have to swap things about. Maybe I'm just weird.

DANoWAR
10-14-2012, 04:54 AM
As for me, aside from the concern over having to move that behemoth, I also have trouble getting rid of something so wonderfully simple as physical books. I'm not sure about my long-term adjustment to an e-reader, and I already have a full and overflowing shelf of hardbacks I have acquired over the years, including the entire Shannara series (some of which are autographed), and a nearly complete Dave Barry hardback collection. Those I know I wouldn't get rid of even if I could carry them around with me digitally, and I'd hate re-buying books I already have just for the added convenience. This is all a bit silly as I readily embraced steam and other digital game platforms, including my first day one 3DS purchase of New Super Mario Bros. 2, and I have in-fact bought games I already owned just for the minor upgrades and to not have to swap things about. Maybe I'm just weird.

No, you're not. If the world's electronics will ever cease to work, you won't be able to play any more video games, regardless of you having them physical or digital. Real books, on the other hand...

Paul le Fou
10-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Seconding that ads are not a dealbreaker. You see an ad at the bottom of the home screen and when you put the kindle into sleep mode, and that's it. In fact, if you keep it disconnected from wireless long enough (a few days, not at all uncommon for me anyway), it runs out of ads and you get a screensaver (with a note asking you to reconnect).

Droewyn
10-14-2012, 06:04 AM
I bought a book scanner (difference: scanning surface goes to the edge) and have been slowly digitizing my collection. Emphasis on sloooowly. Doing this on my own I really begin to get why this service basically costs as much as it would cost to just buy a replacement copy.

I've got about 1500 physical books. The ones I have digital copies of are in boxes in my in-laws' basement. The others are on shelves here. After three years of Nook ownership, I'm starting to seriously consider offloading my collection. I'm... just not going to read them again. Not physically. There are some autographed books I'll keep, and some editions I'm particularly sentimental for, but other than that... they're just taking up space.

The only problem is convincing my hindbrain that 1) the apocalypse is not going to come and 2) if it does, I'll have more pressing issues than whether I can still read Asimov's Foundation series. Because carting around 40 Staples copy paper boxes full of books does not a survivor make.

fugu13
10-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Something that may be news to ebook hungry people, and that I just discovered myself: Baen has an ebook store, and while they apparently believe that usability and graphic design are of the devil, it's got some great stuff at great prices. In particular, check out the Monthly Baen Bundles and Book Bundles sections. Also, they make it pretty easy to deliver them by email to your kindle account (just click on 'ereader instructions' at the top), they're all DRM free, and you can download them in copious other formats as well.

Highlights include the entire Fafhrd and Grey Mouser collection for $35 (note: this is some kind of sale, it is normally $62, and I'm not sure when the sale ends), or nine of the CoDominium books for $36 (not a sale, just the price).

www.baenebooks.com

Egarwaen
10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Yeah, Baen was being awesome about eBooks before anyone knew eBooks existed. It is, I believe, one of the reasons why such an aggressively niche company (there isn't actually a huge market for badly written right-wing power fantasy sci-fi) is still thriving.

It's also worth noting that the latest Amazon DRM snafu is a great example of why DRM is not long for this world. I'll be really surprised if they get through this without some EU regulator ripping them a new one.

fugu13
10-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Yeah, Baen's lucky they still get some of Bujold's output (and I say that as someone who enjoys a number of their other authors). Tied for most best novel Hugos with Heinlein isn't too shabby.

Rascally Badger
11-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Amazon has a lot of Michael Chabon for two bucks as part of their cyber Monday deals. I believe they are more than worth it.

DANoWAR
11-27-2012, 01:41 AM
I continue reading pulp on my Sony. Which is all that I read at the moment. Which is okay...

Paul le Fou
11-30-2012, 02:32 AM
Amazon has a lot of Michael Chabon for two bucks as part of their cyber Monday deals. I believe they are more than worth it.

DAMMIT I have like half of his bibliography on my wish list but I purposely wasn't looking at any sales :(

Alixsar
12-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Alright, so my sister wants a cyber book for xmas. I think they're dumb and thus know nothing about them, but I'll get it for her. So TT, what do I do? What's "the best"? Keep in mind she has a laptop/iPhone etc. so she doesn't need her cyber book to do anything but read cyber books. I don't care about apps or...stuff. Or whatever. Do they even do that on cyber books? I heard they did to try to compete with Apple. I don't know, man.

Falselogic
12-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Alright, so my sister wants a cyber book for xmas. I think they're dumb and thus know nothing about them, but I'll get it for her. So TT, what do I do? What's "the best"? Keep in mind she has a laptop/iPhone etc. so she doesn't need her cyber book to do anything but read cyber books. I don't care about apps or...stuff. Or whatever. Do they even do that on cyber books? I heard they did to try to compete with Apple. I don't know, man.

If all it needs to do is read ebooks get a Kindle Touch or a Nook Color

shivam
12-11-2012, 08:31 PM
frankly, the barebones kindle is the best. that said, the new paperwight is pretty great.

Odin
12-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Kindle paperwhite.

Droewyn
12-12-2012, 03:31 AM
I absolutely love my Nook Simple Touch Glow. I'm getting about three weeks' battery life out of it, which is amazing since it was supposed to get 4 weeks on a half hour a day (seriously, who only reads a half hour a day?).

If it helps, here's the research I did (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsKm3wgQ6JAudGVCalA4T0hua2dHNU5oX3VxVjg5c 0E#gid=0) when deciding between a Kindle and a Nook.

TE-Ryan
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Hey so I'm looking into the possiblity of buying one of these virtual book machines. Only I'm poor and have no idea what the difference is between any of them. Can you fine folks suggest to me some of the better options for a fella who doesn't have a huge amount of cash to burn?

Falselogic
12-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey so I'm looking into the possiblity of buying one of these virtual book machines. Only I'm poor and have no idea what the difference is between any of them. Can you fine folks suggest to me some of the better options for a fella who doesn't have a huge amount of cash to burn?

I'd just click the link Droewyn had in the post before yours!

shivam
12-13-2012, 12:29 PM
the 69 dollar kindle is fantastic, long batteried, and does the job for all your reading needs.

what's your budget?

TE-Ryan
12-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Not entirely sure what I can/want to spend on it yet, I'll have to see how Christmas pans out. I'm shooting for under $100, but if I end up rich in gift cards, I might go for something a little higher end.

I guess I expected a bigger market? Are these not a thing that every company and their mom are making yet?

I checked out the spreadsheet, and I'm wondering about this Kindle "power adaptor sold separately" business. Is this a trait common to all Kindles? Does it come with a USB cable to charge like an iThing, or is it a required purchase? Because if it's the latter, then I'd go Nook on principle alone. The Nook Glow does seem the obvious choice anyway (though despite lack of supported file formats), mostly because of the lower price point and the included charger.

All that said, how does this $69 Kindle stack up to the more expensive ones on the spreadsheet? I don't give two shits about "faster page turns" or how many books it can hold. I don't do a ton of reading, I just want something more bus-friendly than an actual book.

Egarwaen
12-13-2012, 01:34 PM
I guess I expected a bigger market? Are these not a thing that every company and their mom are making yet?

Nope, courtesy of everyone's favorite entertainment demon: DRM. Most eBooks sold are locked down, so they can only be read on that distributor's devices.

Is this a trait common to all Kindles? Does it come with a USB cable to charge like an iThing, or is it a required purchase?

It comes with a USB cable, and works with every wall-socket-to-USB wart that I've tried it with.

All that said, how does this $69 Kindle stack up to the more expensive ones on the spreadsheet? I don't give two shits about "faster page turns" or how many books it can hold. I don't do a ton of reading, I just want something more bus-friendly than an actual book.

If you just want to read books, the $69 Kindle will do just fine for you. The Touch/Paperwhite line adds on extra features like better note-taking (on-screen keyboard and all) and auto-indexing ("X-Ray").

Though it's worth noting that if you already have an iOS or Android device, the Kindle app is probably your cheapest bet unless you don't like reading on its screen for some reason.

TE-Ryan
12-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Though it's worth noting that if you already have an iOS or Android device, the Kindle app is probably your cheapest bet unless you don't like reading on its screen for some reason.

This, exactly. I've tried reading books on my iPhone, and it's all good for doing a little internet browsing now and then, but it's far to small for actually sitting down to read something on.

EDIT: Nope, courtesy of everyone's favorite entertainment demon: DRM. Most eBooks sold are locked down, so they can only be read on that distributor's devices.

I have to ask about this too. Is it the ebooks themselves that are locked? I'm all for supporting authors and actually buying books, but if I were to want to get a digital copy of a book I already own through less legitimate channels...

shivam
12-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Not entirely sure what I can/want to spend on it yet, I'll have to see how Christmas pans out. I'm shooting for under $100, but if I end up rich in gift cards, I might go for something a little higher end.

I checked out the spreadsheet, and I'm wondering about this Kindle "power adaptor sold separately" business. Is this a trait common to all Kindles? Does it come with a USB cable to charge like an iThing, or is it a required purchase? Because if it's the latter, then I'd go Nook on principle alone. The Nook Glow does seem the obvious choice anyway (though despite lack of supported file formats), mostly because of the lower price point and the included charger.

i charge my kindle (i have the 69 dollar one) with a standard micro usb charger that i use for my phone. it also comes with a standard usb cable for your pc. As far as just pure reading goes, it's totally fantastic, and does everything i need it to do. the higher end stuff isn't really worth it.

Egarwaen
12-13-2012, 02:46 PM
I have to ask about this too. Is it the ebooks themselves that are locked? I'm all for supporting authors and actually buying books, but if I were to want to get a digital copy of a book I already own through less legitimate channels...

The ebooks themselves, yes. DRM works by encrypting the files and having a program on the reading device that decrypts them when read after verifying that you're allowed to read them. All ebook readers that I'm aware of will also read "plain" ebook files - those from Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/) or whatever other sources you want. Though do note that even once you have an unencrypted ePub, you'll need to run it through KindleGen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000765211) or Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) to get a mobi - the only format the Kindle supports.

DANoWAR
12-13-2012, 10:51 PM
The ebooks themselves, yes. DRM works by encrypting the files and having a program on the reading device that decrypts them when read after verifying that you're allowed to read them. All ebook readers that I'm aware of will also read "plain" ebook files - those from Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/) or whatever other sources you want. Though do note that even once you have an unencrypted ePub, you'll need to run it through KindleGen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000765211) or Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) to get a mobi - the only format the Kindle supports.

That's why I bought a Sony...

Droewyn
12-14-2012, 09:21 AM
The $69 Kindle isn't touch screen, if that matters to you. It has several little buttons at the bottom of the device. I messed with it in Best Buy just long enough to decide that it's not intuitive and that I wanted a touch model. You're going to be looking at $100 for regular touch or $120 for the light-up versions.

File formats aren't an issue. You want a free/donationware program called Calibre. It can convert any ebook file into any other format and upload it to your device. It's compatible with all the current ereaders, too. It can be augmented with DRM-cracking plugins, as well, so if you buy a Nook you can still buy and read Kindle books on it (for example). This is amazingly useful for comparison shopping -- prices between Amazon and BN.com are usually the same, but on the rare occasions when they aren't, there can be a difference of several dollars.

I believe that Amazon will give you the USB cord, but they do charge for the AC adapter. This is for all units to my knowledge.

shivam
12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
yeah, i hate the touch screen and found the buttons on the $69 version far more intuitive for reading. wish i could remap some of them, but otherwise, i like it much better.

Grignr
12-14-2012, 10:42 AM
I liked my Kindle Keyboard better than the previous cheap touch-based Kindles (I gave a couple as gifts last Christmas and they were about $70 during a Target sale). I guess they dropped the cheap touch in favor of the Paperwhite (which supposedly implements the touch better). With the edge-page-turn buttons, I'd accidentally turn pages; I don't do that with the touch model now but sometimes I accidentally turn twice.

It's certainly easier to type things with touch than using the d-pad but it's not something I do frequently.

And as far as DRM goes, the files on your Kindle are encrypted using the unit's serial number and, given that info, you can crack the DRM off your own purchases with a PC and a Calibre plug-in. Then you can back up your books somewhere away from the Amazon cloud or move them to a Sony/Nook/whatever. Not that the Amazon cloud archive has ever been a problem for me.

Droewyn
12-14-2012, 02:55 PM
I back up my books more as a futureproofing method than as a safeguard against B&N (or Amazon) deciding to lock my account. I may one day decide the FutureBook 3000 suits my needs better and want to move my purchased ebooks over, y'know?

Egarwaen
12-14-2012, 06:28 PM
And as far as DRM goes, the files on your Kindle are encrypted using the unit's serial number and, given that info, you can crack the DRM off your own purchases with a PC and a Calibre plug-in.

Yes, the Kindle's DRM is an effective ;) ;) ;) digital rights protection measure. It's been unchanged since the Kindle 1, so either Amazon can't just update it and offer different files to different readers, or they're deliberately not.

Grignr
12-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Hey right now Amazon's Kindle book sale has Terry Pratchett's new (otherwise hardback) book Dodger for $2.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Dodger-ebook/dp/B007HBLOZA/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355543511&sr=1-2). Howl's Moving Castle is on sale for $1.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Howls-Moving-Castle-ebook/dp/B008LV8TSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355544984&sr=1-1).

Droewyn
12-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Hey right now Amazon's Kindle book sale has Terry Pratchett's new (otherwise hardback) book Dodger for $2.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Dodger-ebook/dp/B007HBLOZA/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355543511&sr=1-2). Howl's Moving Castle is on sale for $1.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Howls-Moving-Castle-ebook/dp/B008LV8TSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355544984&sr=1-1).

bn.com has the same prices right now, too. Thanks for the heads-up!

Alixsar
12-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Alright I opted for the Nook Glow. Thanks guys/gals.

Egarwaen
12-15-2012, 11:10 AM

Wait, they finally released a fucking eBook edition of Howl's? That's awesome. I've wanted to read her stuff for ages, but it's all been hilariously out-of-print and her publisher's been dragging their feet on electronic editions. :D

Grignr
12-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Baen ebooks will be available on Amazon soon:
"Now that we're selling on Amazon, it will be easier than ever to download your favorite Weber, Ringo, or Bujold ebook to your Kindle or free Kindle reading app," says Weisskopf. "But you can be sure we will always maintain our famous ebook pioneering spirit and customer-first orientation."

I've been buying them from the Baen site but it would be cool if they lived in my Amazon cloud. I wonder how much more than $6 it will cost for a new Bujold (http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1698-captain-vorpatrils-alliance.aspx) book, though?

Hmm, guess I don't have to wonder, it's not $6 anymore. Should have bought it last week.

Books that are available in hardcover only will be priced at $9.99, trade pbs $8.99 and mass markets $6.99. So there will be an increase in the prices of most of our backlist from one to three dollars immediately. But these were the lowest we could manage that met the rest of the market and the terms we had to agree to.
but the authors are getting a 25% royalty increase, so that's something. And they'll still be DRM free.

Droewyn
12-17-2012, 05:03 AM
That's pretty nifty. Is it an Amazon-only deal, or are they working with BN as well?

Grignr
12-17-2012, 05:27 AM
It hasn't started yet (no Vorpatril's Alliance for Kindle), but it sounded Amazon exclusive. You can still buy from the baen ebooks (http://www.baenebooks.com/) site but it looks like it will cost the same (more) now.

The Kindle ebook Daily Deal now has a Science Fiction daily deal! I got Strange & Norrell and Color of Magic for $2 apiece over the weekend. Today is Roadside Picnic which is apparently a classic work of sci-fi that I've never heard of before.

Knurek
12-17-2012, 07:00 AM
today is roadside picnic which is apparently a classic work of sci-fi that i've never heard of before.

get it!!!

It's... I don't know, very Dick-ish. The English translation is at least competent. And it's one of those novels where you get to the end and you look back at what you just read and go 'yea, that was some good literature there'.

Alixsar
12-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Noob CyberBookz™ Question: so I got my sister a Nook, so that means she HAS to buy from B&N? Or does Amazon sell CyberBookz™ that will work for it too? I'm sure they support similar formats but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some DRM shenanigans going on here too.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-17-2012, 07:41 PM
When I worked for B&N The Nook was nominally opened sourced. Meaning that as long as the file was DRM free (Project Guttenberg, Various Libraries, ETC) it should work on The Nook.

That said Kindle Files are definitely NOT DRM free.

The two libraries are pretty much equal though, so her wanting a book that's on the kindle that's not on the nook probably won't be a problem. And usually I've found that the price differences between the books themselves isn't more than a dollar +\-.

Alixsar
12-17-2012, 07:48 PM
When I worked for B&N The Nook was nominally opened sourced. Meaning that as long as the file was DRM free (Project Guttenberg, Various Libraries, ETC) it should work on The Nook.

That said Kindle Files are definitely NOT DRM free.

The two libraries are pretty much equal though, so her wanting a book that's on the kindle that's not on the nook probably won't be a problem. And usually I've found that the price differences between the books themselves isn't more than a dollar +\-.

Okay. Basically I just need to know 1) what kind of gift card to get her with it and 2) since she's even more tech clueless than I am, which retailer to tell her to buy from. I was probably going to tell her to shop at BN anyway just to be safe but she uses Amazon a lot so I was wondering if it'd work. I figured it likely wouldn't but good to know for sure.

Egarwaen
12-17-2012, 10:04 PM
If she's got a wireless router, the Nook should be able to talk to it and have an integrated store. If she's that tech-clueless, just make sure she buys books through the device itself.

Droewyn
12-18-2012, 03:30 AM
Yeah, it's possible to upload Kindle and other DRM'd books via Calibre, but there's some messing around with plugins before it'll work. As Flawgic said, if she/you aren't computer savvy, just stick with the Nook store or sites like baen.com that specifically state files are DRM free. Pretty much everywhere sells epub files, which is what you want.

Grignr
12-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Reposted from that NWIOT thread so no one misses this:
all 14 of Fleming's James Bond novels (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=xs_gb_rss_231981/?docId=1000777851&ccmID=380205&tag=rssfeeds-20) on sale for $1.99 apiece as a Kindle Daily Deal. If anyone sees something else in that sale they'd recommend, please let me know!

Grignr
03-10-2013, 05:41 AM
Today's Amazon Kindle Daily Deal is all the Narnia books (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_355831402_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000677541&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0WVE1RHBSHRG2WQSG4GE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1498637762&pf_rd_i=1286228011).

Issun
03-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Today it's Vonnegut's Slapstick.

Droewyn
03-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Man, B&N's daily sales are consistently lame. Also, they only have one daily sale where Amazon has at least four.

Grignr
03-18-2013, 03:58 AM
Today's Kindle Daily Deal (that I cared about) is The Hot Rock (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UK7TVS/ref=amb_link_373169622_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1T01WH269Q871ZA21KR3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1517603262&pf_rd_i=1000677541): A Dortmunder Novel (Book One).

Nodal
03-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Today's Kindle Daily Deal (that I cared about) is The Hot Rock (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UK7TVS/ref=amb_link_373169622_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1T01WH269Q871ZA21KR3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1517603262&pf_rd_i=1000677541): A Dortmunder Novel (Book One).

This is a great book.

pointzeroeight
03-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Certainly sounds great. I bought it, so here's hoping it is!

Rosencrantz
03-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Weird question: is it possible to read legally purchased e-books, from any particular source (Amazon, etc.), on a PC with no Internet access? Say, if the books were put onto the PC via flash drive.

I'm asking because my wife's job is typically mind-numblingly slow and boring. The computers at her office have no Internet access and her boss has a hard rule about no cell phone usage for texting/games/Internet except on breaks. I'm trying to find SOME way for her to have something entertaining to do that doesn't look suspicious.

Pheeel
03-25-2013, 01:21 PM
I think Calibre comes with an external ebook viewer that can display most things you throw at it. Or you could just use it to convert them to another format you can easily view on PCs.

Rosencrantz
03-25-2013, 02:11 PM
I think Calibre comes with an external ebook viewer that can display most things you throw at it. Or you could just use it to convert them to another format you can easily view on PCs.

Okay, thanks - I'll see if that will work.

Grignr
03-26-2013, 06:13 AM
Can anyone comment on the quality of the e-book versions (Kindle precisely but I expect that doesn't matter) of the following series:
Robin Hobb, Liveship Traders + Tawny Man
Neal Stephenson, Baroque Cycle

I've already read these but I'm thinking of ditching the hardbacks for ebooks to save shelf space.

Nodal
03-26-2013, 08:35 AM
I didn't read Baroque but I read the first group on ebook and didn't have any issues.

Issun
03-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Kindle Daily Deals have been doing hella Vonnegut lately.

Grignr
03-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Yeah, there's regular Vonnegut or Lem titles and I've been picking them up here and there.

Tor has put Bitter Seeds on sale (here's the link for Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/Bitter-Seeds-Milkweed-ebook/dp/B003GWX8JE/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1364674973&sr=1-1&keywords=bitter+seeds) but it should be on sale at other e-book sources as well).

Droewyn
05-03-2013, 05:28 AM
Currently free over at Barnes and Noble:

The Ace of Diamonds (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ace-of-diamonds-the-nona-king/1115194260?ean=2940044465992)

Setzer Gabbiani. Ship captain. Gambler. Lover of women and the feel of the wind in his air. Before the war he experienced a passionate affair with the region’s star of the operatic stage. After the war, he meets fellow ship captain, Maree. Her black hair and sultry curves goad his passions to life once more. But then he is thrust into the path of suspicions that lead him to an unexpected meeting.

And it's book #2 of the "Terra Saga".

Adam
05-03-2013, 08:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YuY1iZ9.jpg

ffffffuck yes

Rascally Badger
05-03-2013, 09:11 AM
What the hell? Here's part one (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/terra-nona-king/1115194181?ean=2940044438651)

Terra Branford. Naïve and innocent, yet she caused so much death. Passionate and powerful, yet the epitome of purity. Now a forgotten darkness from her past threatens her children, her friends, and her very existence. Will Edgar, Locke, and company stop the madman before Terra falls into the depths of madness? Or will Edgar lose his last chance to confess his love?

Droewyn
05-03-2013, 09:09 PM
I wonder what B&N's policy on fanfic distribution is. Somehow, I can't imagine that "I'm putting it up for free" is going to magically make the characters not copyrighted/trademarked.

I suspect they don't know it's fanfic. Nothing on the download page gave that impression at all.

EDIT: I'm going to read this thing for Science. Will report back later.

Droewyn
05-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Hundred pages in, and all the words are spelled correctly. That said, the author doesn't always use the correct prepositions or tenses, has no clue when thou is appropriate instead of thee (and vice versa), the characters randomly interject modern slang into dialogue, and the prose is very very purple. Also, context? What context? If you're reading this you'd better have played FFVI, because all the people, places, and events are thrown at the reader with no explanation or background info. It also falls into the trap of We Must Check In On Every Single Character To Find Out How They're Doing. Well, except for Gau and Gogo because fuck Gau and Gogo. of course there's another two hundred pages left to shoehorn them in so hope is not yet lost

Plot: Setzer is bored because a saved world is a dull world. Then he meets this totally-not-a-pirate sea captainess who is so exotic her name has an accented vowel. She's into him too, but they don't get it on immediately because of reasons. She goes back to totally-not-piracy, and he becomes obsessed with her and starts visiting every single named location in FFVI except for Narshe and the Veldt looking for information on her. Then someone kidnaps Terra's entire group of orphan children and it looks like the sea captainess might be involved in an Imperial slaver ring! Oh noes! Can this be resolved before Celes and Locke's wedding? Also, Edgar and Terra are having unrequited love for each other.

So, yeah. This? Is not good. It's also not the Eye of Argon, but possibly only because the author had a functioning spell check.

Issun
05-05-2013, 08:35 PM
if you read a internet fanfiction on Nook is it still a internet fanfiction?

Droewyn
05-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Yes. Yes, it is.

Droewyn
05-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Artemis Fowl is $2.99 today over on the Kindle store!

Droewyn
05-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Poor sales lead B&N to give HD and HD+ users access to Google Play. (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/barnes-nobles-nook-hd-nook-hd-google-play/story?id=19101554#.UYzuhMopBXA)

It's about damn time. The boy didn't do his homework properly before he came home with an HD+, so we didn't know beforehand that we were limited to the B&N app store. No tapatalk, no android irc, no nethack, no hot death uno. Hell, no USAA banking app because apparently they're too obscure for B&N. So I learned how to root it, and that's been mostly cool except for some stability issues. Now to see if this makes me go back to stock.

Issun
05-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Several Vonnegut and Ian McEwan books for cheap on Kindle store right now.

Rascally Badger
05-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Please someone stop me from buying Kindle books, even if they are cheap! I have about 60 books I haven't read and the list grows so much faster than I read.

Vonnegut you say?

Grignr
05-16-2013, 03:46 AM
Also Sanderson's The Emperor's Soul for $2.99. I check the Kindle Daily Deal every day but there's also a monthly sale section and now an 85% sale (Vonnegut and McEwan are on the Literary Fiction (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_dnav_ft_ir11_s?node=133140011,!2334093011,! 2334155011,6180870011,154606011,157028011,15705301 1&search-alias=digital-text&bbn=6180870011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0CQQ4JAW8J8Y95671JBK&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1552800042&pf_rd_i=1000705681) page).

Issun
05-19-2013, 08:55 PM
So I bought this Silo Saga thing. I hope it's good.

fugu13
05-20-2013, 10:32 AM
It is. Make sure you start with Wool (not the chronologically earlier stuff like Shift).

Daikaiju
05-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Amazon has unleashed the Fiction Apocalypse (http://www.toplessrobot.com/2013/05/amazon_to_publish_and_sell_fan_fiction_and_what_co .php).

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/Daikaiju_photo/SCREAM_zpsb8dd37b0.jpg (http://s718.photobucket.com/user/Daikaiju_photo/media/SCREAM_zpsb8dd37b0.jpg.html)

Tiers in Rain
05-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Amazon has unleashed the Fiction Apocalypse (http://www.toplessrobot.com/2013/05/amazon_to_publish_and_sell_fan_fiction_and_what_co .php).

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/Daikaiju_photo/SCREAM_zpsb8dd37b0.jpg (http://s718.photobucket.com/user/Daikaiju_photo/media/SCREAM_zpsb8dd37b0.jpg.html)

Oh...my God.

Zef
06-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Welp! I gots me a Nook :D

Mostly because it's a damn cheap Android tablet, and a store demo pretty much sold me once I saw it can do everything my phone can except make calls and take pictures. Plus I bought a cheap 16gb SD so I can cram it with music and movies the same way I do with my phone without having to deal with Amazon's rigamarole.

Oh, and it was half-off :p

My first purchase: Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter's The Long Earth. I might double-dip on American Gods and Snuff (which I already own on paperback and HC) because I've been itching to reread the former and the latter is a bit cumbersome to take on the bus.) I've also downloaded a bunch of Google Play apps and Dropbox photos on it. Shame Netflix looks so awful, though, but I assume that's something wrong with the app itself and not the Nook (or maybe the Vita has spoiled me.)

Any recommendations for a good, functional case that doesn't add much bulk?

Droewyn
07-01-2013, 09:29 AM
I use the Groovy case for my HD+. Incredibly thin, and magnetically sleeps the tablet when you close it.

shivam
07-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Welp! I gots me a Nook :D

Mostly because it's a damn cheap Android tablet, and a store demo pretty much sold me once I saw it can do everything my phone can except make calls and take pictures. Plus I bought a cheap 16gb SD so I can cram it with music and movies the same way I do with my phone without having to deal with Amazon's rigamarole.

Oh, and it was half-off :p

My first purchase: Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter's The Long Earth. I might double-dip on American Gods and Snuff (which I already own on paperback and HC) because I've been itching to reread the former and the latter is a bit cumbersome to take on the bus.) I've also downloaded a bunch of Google Play apps and Dropbox photos on it. Shame Netflix looks so awful, though, but I assume that's something wrong with the app itself and not the Nook (or maybe the Vita has spoiled me.)

Any recommendations for a good, functional case that doesn't add much bulk?

how much was it, if you don't mind me asking?

Zef
07-01-2013, 02:08 PM
$150 for the 16Gb Nook HD+. The 32Gb one was 180. But I knew from the start I'd be putting a lot of media on it, so I "upgraded" it to 32 myself via a $15 Sandisk microSD from Staples. If I wanted to, I could just load CyanogenMod 10 on the card and quickroot the Nook into a "legit" Android Jelly Bean tablet, but for the moment I'm happy just installing the Nova launcher to replace the Nook home. I have no need for rooting or sideloading, and it's easier and faster to load all my content on the card (or even share the card with my phone/camera) than to transfer it via cable.

It also helps that one of my CCs is having a "summer sale" offer where any purchase above $50 can be deferred to 6-months interest-free payments :p But man, the official B&N accessories are the most expensive ones ever, even compared to the Vita's proprietary memory cards. I wish there were third-party HDMI adapters to compete with the official $40 one :(

Droewyn
07-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Note that the reason Nook tablets are so cheap now is because B&N has decided to call the whole tablet thing a failure and they're ceasing production. (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324637504578567283575391380.html)

They'll still be making e-ink Nooks.

Zef
07-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Last I heard, they were ceasing production of the Nook themselves, but they'll outsource them to other manufacturers the same way Google does with the Nexus.

Still, even if they're just dumping inventory, as long as they continue to support eBooks I'm fine. I can do fine with a Jelly Bean tablet for a few years :p

EDIT: D'oh! The article you linked said the same thing. Guess I should read before commenting :p

But with e-reader sales expected to decline over time

Huh, really? So e-readers WERE just a fad after all? I thought digital delivery was killing paper publishing, at least in North America, hence all the bookstores struggling to compete with Amazon.

Droewyn
07-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Maybe they're expecting e-ink to go away in favor of full tablets. That seems nuts to me, but I can't stand reading for long periods on a backlit screen.

shivam
07-01-2013, 05:43 PM
i love my kindle, but after reading an entire book on my phone's kindle app, i'm kinda sold on backlit.

Matchstick
07-01-2013, 10:29 PM
...I can't stand reading for long periods on a backlit screen.

Grignr
07-03-2013, 04:15 AM
One of today's Kindle Daily Deals is A Drink Before the War (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GYEH2E/ref=amb_link_378540162_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1D8YND54FHHQDR3T3TZT&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1573085422&pf_rd_i=1000677541) , a book I've seen previously recommended in What'cha Reading but not read myself. Yet.

poetfox
07-03-2013, 06:26 AM
New Sci-Fi StoryBundle (http://storybundle.com/) is out. Someone tell me if any of these are worth reading, while noting that I kinda hate Sci-fi that is all premise and no characters. (If you do, that's cool! Just not my cup of tea.)

Grignr
07-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Huh, I was sure that link would go to the Humble Book Bundle II (http://www.humblebundle.com/) (I just read the email announcement), several of which I could recommend, but I haven't read any in your bundle.

Humble Bundle II has Shards of Honor (characters!), Spin (concept), and the Last Unicorn (unicorns!).

Egarwaen
07-03-2013, 04:05 PM
i love my kindle, but after reading an entire book on my phone's kindle app, i'm kinda sold on backlit.

I find that I sometimes don't mind a smaller backlit screen and sometimes really want the eInk screen.

I'm really glad Amazon's sync is basically seamless!

shivam
07-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I find that I sometimes don't mind a smaller backlit screen and sometimes really want the eInk screen.

I'm really glad Amazon's sync is basically seamless!

amen. i am happy to live in a world with all three choices available to me.

Zef
07-03-2013, 05:40 PM
After redeeming my very first Ultraviolet movie, linking it to my Nook, and then redeeming another half dozen from my collection; after downloading Comic Rack and tossing a bunch of old manga on it (particularly an entire Ranma manga torrent, since I own the whole thing legally but it's all the way in Mexico; ) after downloading a bunch of game magazines; after downloading a huuuuge HTML fanfic archive from my favorite late 90s authors; after getting Super GNES and synching with a Bluetooth controller; after finally using a bunch of news, social, and photo viewing Android apps that my phone's screen was too tiny for, I'm really glad I went with the Nook tablet instead of the eReader :D

Paul le Fou
07-04-2013, 12:56 AM
Reading Thomas Pynchon has convinced me I can never make a full switch away from paper (not that I was ever going to) because flipping through and using color-coded highlighters is too engrossing to give up to Kindle's kinda shitey navigation and highlighting.

I still love my kindle, but different kinds of experiences, right?

Issun
07-04-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm really glad I went with the Nook tablet instead of the eReader :D

I went with both. The E-Reader Kindle I find is optimal for reading regular books. My Samsung 7" Galaxy Tab works great for FB/Android games, Newspapers and Magazines, and watching TV. For writing, most internet browsing and emulation, my laptop is far superior.

Right tool for the right job.

Droewyn
07-09-2013, 03:24 AM
One of today's Kindle Daily Deals is a Regency romance about Marcia Brady, one of three lovely girls, all of the them with hair of gold. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080K3BCQ/ref=amb_link_379031962_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1R4936MKF7QYK7E5ZY55&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1578290542&pf_rd_i=1000677541)

Is it horrible that I'm finding myself desperately curious about where the fuck the author is going with this ridiculous premise?

Issun
07-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Although perhaps blissful was a better word. Blissful and aching. How she ached! Yet it was a blissful ache. Which made no sense-

Kind of like that paragraph.

Issun
07-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Now I can downloading walkthroughs off GameFAQs and send them to the Kindle app on my tablet. Don't you judge me!

Grignr
07-14-2013, 07:59 PM
I tried to read the SMT: Nocturne faq on my Kindle paperwhite yesterday and it wasn't a big success. Columns weren't wide enough and the browser wouldn't let me rotate the screen. Would have worked better if I saved it as a doc, but eventually the iPad charged up enough to use instead.

Tablets just do web pages and comics better. Except the screen keeps timing out on you while you play your game...

Wolfgang
07-17-2013, 09:59 AM
I will not ever read a comic book again that's not on my iPad.

keele864
07-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Reading Thomas Pynchon has convinced me I can never make a full switch away from paper (not that I was ever going to) because flipping through and using color-coded highlighters is too engrossing to give up to Kindle's kinda shitey navigation and highlighting.

I still love my kindle, but different kinds of experiences, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if Pynchon himself felt the same way; he only agreed to e-publication last year (http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/after-long-resistance-pynchon-allows-novels-to-be-sold-as-e-books/).

Not that I would ever read Pynchon on an e-reader, aside perhaps from Slow Learner and The Crying of Lot 49.

I've finally gave in and bought an e-reader myself (Kobo mini) because I was interview for an e-book-related job. I didn't get the job, but I find I like e-reading more than expected.

Though I nearly threw my Kobo across the room when I discovered the thing has a fricking achievements system (http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/08/kobo/). Really, must everything be gamified? Thankfully you can turn the achievements off.

Alixsar
07-31-2013, 04:36 PM
Any opinions on Kindle Fires? I just bought textbooks for school and since I had to buy a bundle of books each of which is literally 1,000+ pages, I opted for the online option (it's also cheaper, so there's that too).

It comes with 2 downloads, so one for my home PC, and now I'm thinking of investing in either a Chromebook or a Kindle Fire to run it on so I can have my books with me away from school. My friend has a Chromebook so I know what to expect there but I'm wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether a Kindle Fire is worth it or not? Are they reliable? What's the battery life like? Any common defects I should be concerned with?

shivam
07-31-2013, 04:47 PM
kindle fires are super suck for anything but the Amazon Experience (tm).

Falselogic
07-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Any opinions on Kindle Fires? I just bought textbooks for school and since I had to buy a bundle of books each of which is literally 1,000+ pages, I opted for the online option (it's also cheaper, so there's that too).

It comes with 2 downloads, so one for my home PC, and now I'm thinking of investing in either a Chromebook or a Kindle Fire to run it on so I can have my books with me away from school. My friend has a Chromebook so I know what to expect there but I'm wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether a Kindle Fire is worth it or not? Are they reliable? What's the battery life like? Any common defects I should be concerned with?

yeah unless you need them for color pictures or something I'd just get a paperwhite. If you do need color pictures you might be better off with the Ipad Mini

Alixsar
07-31-2013, 05:01 PM
Yeah but then I'd have to buy something from Apple and that has never been a good idea at any point in time.

The rep said it doesn't work on Paperwhite; it has to be Fire for...some reason. She could be mistaken but I don't know. I'm leaning more towards Chromebook anyways, since I know it runs in Chrome just fine and all I really need it to do is Be a Screen™ that I can take with me places. I'm just curious if anyone had an experience with the Fire...and judging from Shivam/reviews I've seen it sounds like I'm doing the right thing, probably.

Zef
07-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Yeah but then I'd have to buy something from Apple and that has never been a good idea at any point in time.

you might be better off with the B&N Nook HD+

Alixsar
07-31-2013, 05:12 PM
Again, the rep claimed it doesn't work with Nook for some reason. She claimed she "wasn't tech savvy" so should she couldn't elaborate...otherwise I'd probably do that yeah.

Falselogic
07-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Again, the rep claimed it doesn't work with Nook for some reason. She claimed she "wasn't tech savvy" so should she couldn't elaborate...otherwise I'd probably do that yeah.

Maybe the Rep don't know what she talking about. Also if it just needs the Amazon app the Iphone has that... Also plenty of software out there to strip DRM out of ebooks and convert them into other formats.

Patrick
07-31-2013, 05:18 PM
My anecdotal experience is that two friends have bought Kindle Fires then stopped using them within a week. If you don't want an iPad then it sounds like a Chrome Book is the best bet.

Droewyn
07-31-2013, 05:53 PM
If you can get it DRM-stripped and viewable in Calibre, it'll be fine on a Nook or other e-reader.

shivam
07-31-2013, 06:06 PM
do you know which company is handling the ebooks for your school?

Grignr
07-31-2013, 06:11 PM
It could be that the textbook is a pdf or some other fixed-page format that would be terrible on e-ink. Possibly also some software DRM thing like Safari or one of the apps libraries use to lend things.

A Google Nexus tablet would be a decent unbranded Android tablet and it should be able to view anything a Kindle or Nook could read.

Droewyn
07-31-2013, 07:53 PM
It could be that the textbook is a pdf or some other fixed-page format that would be terrible on e-ink. Possibly also some software DRM thing like Safari or one of the apps libraries use to lend things.

A Google Nexus tablet would be a decent unbranded Android tablet and it should be able to view anything a Kindle or Nook could read.

Husband is really happy with his Asus.

Issun
07-31-2013, 08:20 PM
My Samsung Galaxy Tab has worked pretty well for me. You really have a wealth of choices here, but if the Chromebook is what you're most comfortable with by all means, go for it.

Excitemike
07-31-2013, 08:29 PM
I helped someone last week who had a Kindle Fire. I was stunned by how terrible it was. Unintuitive controls and festering with advertisements. You should find a rep who knows what they're talking about, if it runs on a Fire and a Chromebook, it should work on any android tablet.

Droewyn
08-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Wee Free Men (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_button/?docId=1000677541) is a $1.99 Kindle daily deal today.

Droewyn
08-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Nook Glow (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-barnes-noble/1108046469) is on sale for $99 until the tenth.

Aleanil
08-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Nook Glow (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-barnes-noble/1108046469) is on sale for $99 until the tenth.

I actually got a Nook Glow from Staples for $59 last week - it was on clearance, so I imagine it's incredibly YMMV, but it's well worth that price. Might be worth checking your B&M Staples.

Grignr
08-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Amazon has a Ray Bradbury (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_381245242_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000789181&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1Y3DH26133A2Z27S1KKB&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1594131962&pf_rd_i=1000677541) daily deal with a bunch of his books but only a couple that I've heard of before.

Matchstick
08-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Amazon has a Ray Bradbury (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_381245242_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000789181&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1Y3DH26133A2Z27S1KKB&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1594131962&pf_rd_i=1000677541) daily deal with a bunch of his books but only a couple that I've heard of before.

Everybody should grab a copy of The October Country from that sale.

Grignr
08-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Kindle Daily Deal is The Dirty Streets of Heaven (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P7HZHM/ref=amb_link_382039122_9?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0V842XJ0HFDS79BSHQF9&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1605097222&pf_rd_i=1000677541) ( recently recommended by Shivam).

Also Neal Stephenson's Reamde (http://www.amazon.com/Reamde-A-Novel-ebook/dp/B004XVN0WW/ref=lp_3441883011_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1377167859&sr=1-5) is a monthly deal.

pointzeroeight
08-22-2013, 09:55 AM
I keep considering getting Reamde. Anyone able to say if it's a worthwhile read?

I second the recommendation for Dirty Streets of Heaven. I really enjoyed it when I read it last year.

Evil Dead Junkie
08-22-2013, 01:46 PM
I heartily endorse Reamde. Ton of fun as long as you don't mind long page counts. It has all of Stephenson's good traits and drops a few of his bad habits.

Ample Vigour
08-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Now reading: Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics

Grignr
08-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Today's Kindle Daily Deal is a bunch of past Daily Deals (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_382069542_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000777851&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0KWSRFDK8RW620C3XCTK&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1605199702&pf_rd_i=1000677541) in honor of Daily Deal Anniversary.

Issun
08-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Lots of good stuff. Picked up A Drink Before the War, The Handmaid's Tale, and the first Percy Jackson book for myself and The Host for my teenage stepdaughter all for under ten bucks.

Evil Dead Junkie
08-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Lots of good stuff. Picked up A Drink Before the War,

Welcome to the herd.

Grignr
08-29-2013, 03:39 AM
Today's Kindle Daily Deal for kids is the four Mary Poppins (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_382660582_12?ie=UTF8&hidden-keywords=B004H1U2KQ%7CB0047O2BEI%7CB0043EWTD0%7CB0 04H1U2LA&rh=i%3Adigital-text%2Cn%3A154606011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Z230E2ZH1JTQ3B25T8Y&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1609039422&pf_rd_i=1000677541) books, which I have not read but have heard are darker than the Disney version (not hard).

Weirdly, the last Deal is a pre-order...

Grignr
08-30-2013, 05:08 AM
Kindle Deals for the college student (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_382705922_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1001341831&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0VNB3N87G4XCSXRMQZNS&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1609237542&pf_rd_i=1000677541), including Axe Cop Vol 1 and Wonder Boys.

Droewyn
08-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Kindle Deals for the college student (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_382705922_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1001341831&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0VNB3N87G4XCSXRMQZNS&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1609237542&pf_rd_i=1000677541), including Axe Cop Vol 1 and Wonder Boys.

Note that Kindle comic books can only be read on Kindle Fire. The PC app won't touch them. Not sure if Amazon's Android app will.

Grignr
08-31-2013, 05:38 AM
I just read some Axe Cop on my iPad, so the iPad Kindle app definitely lets you read comic books. The Amazon web page will let me choose to my Kindle Paperwhite, which seems unlikely to work well.

Looking at a volume of Twin Spica (http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Spica-Volume-01-ebook/dp/B00BVJFMRK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377953917&sr=1-1&keywords=twin+spica), it will only let me choose iPad or one of the old Android phones or tablets, but I didn't try that. Maybe Kindle for Android now distinguishes between phones and tablets? There's no reason they couldn't make the app for either handle comics.

[EDIT] Ok, tried Axe Cop on the Paperwhite and it works only in the sense that there is a panel view mode, so you can see a readable ugly-ass extreme blow up of each panel. So I guess panel view is the deciding factor if a comic is readable on an e-ink Kindle. Bonus: The help page for going into panel-view mode uses pages of Yotsuba!

Twin Spica looks good on the iPad and is perfectly readable in two-page landscape mode.

Issun
09-04-2013, 09:08 PM
This is what I've been saying they should do all along! (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/03/kindle-matchbook_n_3860475.html)

Karzac
09-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Cool idea, but MatchBook is a really unfortunate name for the program. I'd rather not have "replace your print books" and "fire" be implicitly joined together.

pointzeroeight
09-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Vol. 1 of The Sixth Gun is on for $2.99 today. This is a comic I've been told is great but haven't gotten around to yet.

Droewyn
09-14-2013, 09:25 AM
So a publisher, when asked to produce a Nook edition of War and Peace, decided to just send over the Kindle edition they already had, after doing a find-and-replace to make sure there weren't any references to the Amazon product.

Unfortunately, they didn't count on Tolstoy's loving descriptions of firemaking. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2155955/Publisher-replaces-instances-Kindle-rival-e-book-reader-Nook--ends-destroying-War-Peace.html)

Rascally Badger
09-17-2013, 12:47 AM
Hey, which of the Discworld books on the Kindle daily deal should it buy? All 4 or 5 of them?

poetfox
09-17-2013, 02:39 AM
The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic are a set, and need to be read together, so don't buy just one of those? They're like... the only two books in the series I'm aware of that is like "cliffhanger into sequel" instead of just another story set in the universe. Otherwise, you'd be fine with any or all?

fugu13
09-17-2013, 09:36 AM
If you skip any, skip both The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic. They're very different from and nowhere near as good as the rest of the books, though worth reading as well. Get all of the other three, definitely.

edit: I'm buying the other three despite owning copies

pointzeroeight
09-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Maaan, you guys get Discworld, we (Canada) get... I don't know what to call them. Those paranormal romance novels with shirtless muscly dudes on the cover.

Egarwaen
09-17-2013, 09:48 AM
If you skip any, skip both The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic. They're very different from and nowhere near as good as the rest of the books, though worth reading as well. Get all of the other three, definitely.

Unless - and this is very important - you're a big Lankhmar fan. Then get Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic right away, because they're basically nothing but giant Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser parodies.

Droewyn
09-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Unless - and this is very important - you're a big Lankhmar fan. Then get Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic right away, because they're basically nothing but giant Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser parodies.

There's a wonderful Dragonriders of Pern parody in CoM, too.

Egarwaen
09-17-2013, 12:00 PM
There's a wonderful Dragonriders of Pern parody in CoM, too.

Yeah, there's a couple of other classic fantasy / sci-fi series in there, but it's mostly Lankhmar, including some scenes that (like the one on the airplane) that really confused me until I read some Lankhmar.

valhalladeath
09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
For those of you who haven't read Lies of Locke Lamora, it is on sale for 99 cents through Oct. 2 in the Kindle Store. Link here (http://www.amazon.com/Lamora-Gentleman-Bastard-Sequence-ebook/dp/B000JMKNJ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1379539839&sr=1-1&keywords=lies+of+locke+lamora)

pointzeroeight
09-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Not sure if any of you have preordered Kindle books before, but if you have, I've got a question for you: If when I preorder a book, it is a higher price than when it comes out, I get charged the lower price, correct? I ordered a book a couple weeks ago, it comes out tomorrow, and right now it's listed at $2.99, whereas I preordered it at 14.99.

Issun
09-26-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm pretty sure Amazon has a low price guarantee thingy, so if they charge you 14.99, I'd complain.

fugu13
09-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Not sure if any of you have preordered Kindle books before, but if you have, I've got a question for you: If when I preorder a book, it is a higher price than when it comes out, I get charged the lower price, correct? I ordered a book a couple weeks ago, it comes out tomorrow, and right now it's listed at $2.99, whereas I preordered it at 14.99.

They usually do it by charging you some price that might not be fully updated then refunding the difference in a day or two.

pointzeroeight
09-27-2013, 07:07 AM
They ended up charging me the new price, so woot. Now I've got a new book to read for less than I expected to pay for it!

Evil Dead Junkie
10-03-2013, 07:39 PM
I don't know if this is a daily deal or not but Lairrd Barron's The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All (http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Thing-That-Awaits-ebook/dp/B00B0SBF1Y/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1) is 1.99 on Amazon for some damn reason and you should buy it. Buy it Now!

Droewyn
10-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Today's sci-fi/fantasy deal is Silverlock by John Myers Myers (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB2GNP2/ref=amb_link_384996942_8?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0W5DA4ZBZAJPXW9GDXTX&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1630001362&pf_rd_i=1000677541). It is fucking fantastic and it is 99 cents!

pointzeroeight
10-04-2013, 07:33 AM
I don't know if this is a daily deal or not but Lairrd Barron's The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All (http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Thing-That-Awaits-ebook/dp/B00B0SBF1Y/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1) is 1.99 on Amazon for some damn reason and you should buy it. Buy it Now!

It's one of the October deals. I actually saw it when I was looking through them the other day and figured I'd get it. Good to hear this was probably a good choice!

Issun
10-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Rum Diary is a daily deal today.

Grignr
10-13-2013, 06:09 AM
And today is Vampire Hunter D (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7H2GQM/ref=amb_link_385225322_8?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1EDF3F4ZHFBP2VYVEGBS&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1633156142&pf_rd_i=1000677541) !

Grignr
10-14-2013, 06:20 AM
Today's Amazon Deal (that I care to take note of ) is Iain Bank's final novel The Quarry (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO7FLGA/ref=amb_link_385232642_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0BWN8BZZ2PWAW7HCMWAK&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1633204342&pf_rd_i=1000677541) which actually sounds pretty depressing.

Happy Columbus Day!

Traumadore
10-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Hey, did you know that 11 Tyrants got together and made a horror anthology E-book just in time for Halloween? You can buy A Light in the Dark (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G6PBZFW)right now! Check it out, rate it, and leave a review! And you could maybe tell everyone you know that your friends whipped up this awesome book!

Grignr
10-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Kindle Daily Deal of note - Ian McDonald's King of Morning, Queen of Day (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DBLRHT2/ref=amb_link_385709382_11?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Z2ADGBS55707M9KT682&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1639425342&pf_rd_i=1000677541).

Grignr
10-29-2013, 03:37 AM
Kindle Daily Deal that I saw: Fire from Heaven by Mary Renault (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DCGJ6Z4/ref=amb_link_385828002_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=13XJYJG8N1JNP20QMPA5&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1641095762&pf_rd_i=1000677541).

Also Comixology (http://www.comixology.com/comics-sale) has all of Sandman (including the early spin-offs) and probably way more Marvel Zombies than anyone could need.

John
10-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Amazon rolled out their Kindle Matchbook program, which lets you buy discounted ebook versions of physical books you've purchased in the past (typically for $2-3). Unfortunately, it only works if the publisher has agreed to it, so out of the hundreds of books I've bought on Amazon, only 10 are eligible. I could buy versions of the later Neil Stephenson books (Baroque Cycle and Anathem), but none of the Gene Wolfe books published by Orb that I'd really like to have digitally. I've ditched my physical books a while back, but haven't replaced them because of cost. If they were all under $3, I'd have no qualms picking up the good ones again.

Falselogic
10-30-2013, 08:43 AM
I've been buying books from Amazon for 15 years. I've probably spent thousands of dollars there. Only one of those books was available through Matchbook...

Grignr
10-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I've bought lots of books since '98 or so at least and I see 21 books, including two volumes of Complete Peanuts, some non-Baen-published Bujold, some Tim Powers, Anansi Boys, and a few Neal Stephenson.

Grignr
11-02-2013, 06:44 AM
Ten Volume 1's from DC's New 52 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_386712062_12?ie=UTF8&node=7817843011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Y09Y7EGF1NZ4XP8SSJG&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1648081982&pf_rd_i=1000677541), including Batman: Court of Owls, are up if you have a reader that can handle comics.

Rascally Badger
11-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Ten Volume 1's from DC's New 52 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_386712062_12?ie=UTF8&node=7817843011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Y09Y7EGF1NZ4XP8SSJG&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1648081982&pf_rd_i=1000677541), including Batman: Court of Owls, are up if you have a reader that can handle comics.

The first 4 of those are probably worth 3 dollars. The rest ..... euuuuhhhhhh .... maybe Batgirl.

Grignr
11-11-2013, 03:49 AM
Nine Vonnegut ebooks (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_390388042_12?ie=UTF8&docId=1001429291&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=04YPX2G49CN244W8JZHB&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1655454202&pf_rd_i=1000677541) in Kindle Daily Deal! Of course, they've individually appeared as Daily Deals in the past so you may have them all already.

Mazian
11-21-2013, 05:54 PM
iPhone users: Marvin (http://marvinapp.com/), the current top of the heap for reader apps, is free "for a very limited time". Existing iPad users may also want to upgrade to the universal app while they can.

Even once that time ends, it's well worth the future $3 price, especially now that Stanza is well and truly dead. It's got a good feature list that knows when to take a backseat to reading without distraction.

Evil Dead Junkie
11-23-2013, 09:33 AM
11/22/63 is 2.99 on the nook (so probably on the kindle too,) its very strong late period King highly recommended.

Grignr
11-23-2013, 09:59 AM
11/22/63 is 2.99 on the nook (so probably on the kindle too,) its very strong late period King highly recommended.

Nope, $9.99 on the Kindle.
[EDIT] Wait a minute, it is $3 if I go from the website (http://www.amazon.com/11-22-63-Stephen-King-ebook/dp/B004Q7CIFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385229602&sr=8-1&keywords=11+22+63) and not the built-in Kindle store.
[EDIT2] I see, there's plain Kindle version and enhanced Kindle version with audio and the latter is what's on sale and my device store didn't show it, even though it supports it.

Grignr
11-24-2013, 05:46 AM
Kindle Deals Today:
The Heroes (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480O978/ref=amb_link_396178702_12?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1FJRBGPTBXEPVA40ZX29&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1674336582&pf_rd_i=1000677541) by Joe Abercrombie, which for some reason I did not already own,
and
Bartimaeus Vol. 1: The Amulet of Samarkand (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006N57PXG/ref=amb_link_396178702_15?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1FJRBGPTBXEPVA40ZX29&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1674336582&pf_rd_i=1000677541), a fun young adult book that answers the question "What if Harry Potter actually was a Satanic devil summoner" and also tells half the story from the viewpoint of snarky demon Bartimaeus.

Grignr
11-25-2013, 04:54 AM
And more titles I recognize today!

Newbery-honor book The Thief (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OMZTY4/ref=amb_link_396377382_14?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=119WQNPB2ZZ5P6T7QZ7D&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1677541322&pf_rd_i=1000677541) by Megan Whalen Turner (which I own in paperback but haven't read).

Octavia Butler's Kindred (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009U9S540/ref=amb_link_396377382_10?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=119WQNPB2ZZ5P6T7QZ7D&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1677541322&pf_rd_i=1000677541), a delightful grandfather-paradox time travel story except grandpa is a rapist slave owner and grandma is his slave victim. I've read Butler's Xenogenesis trilogy but not this one. To quote Wikipedia "Butler herself categorized the novel not as science fiction but rather as a grim fantasy".

Droewyn
11-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Nook Simple Touch (not Glow) is going on sale for $40 starting tomorrow. (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Black-Friday-Cyber-Monday-Deals/379003308)

Zef
11-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Nook Simple Touch (not Glow) is going on sale for $40 starting tomorrow. (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Black-Friday-Cyber-Monday-Deals/379003308)

Holy shit Nook HD (basic) for 80.

My mother's wanted one since she saw my HD+. Screw the limited availability of books in Spanish, I'ma get her one for Christmas http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot_what.gif

Evil Dead Junkie
11-29-2013, 01:42 PM
John Dies At The End is 1.99 on The Kindle.

Buy it and serve the will of Korrok!

Grignr
11-30-2013, 07:21 AM
All those Bond books are on sale (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=s9_al_bw_feat?ie=UTF8&docId=1001913691&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YGYFEXT81KXCQBAS7HG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1682422242&pf_rd_i=154606011) again!

Droewyn
12-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Three of Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy books are on sale today, for all your BDSM political intrigue semi-fantasy needs. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_396615682_10?ie=UTF8&hidden-keywords=B00499BTSK|B000QRIGNU|B001ACU1YW&rh=i%3Adigital-text%2Cn%3A154606011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1VY2G8GX7WP0BTV2A1M2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1682732982&pf_rd_i=1000677541)

Grignr
12-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Whole bunch of Cyber Monday books for Kindle. Just checked the Science Fiction section and it's full of Mary Renault , Octavia Butler, Barbara Hambly titles with a few Tim Powers , Theodore Sturgeon , and Tek Wars stuff.

[EDIT] Also lots of Robert Silverberg, James Morrow, and Jonathan Carroll. Lots and lots of books by a few authors.

Droewyn
12-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Lots of Allen Dean Foster, too!

Wolfgang
12-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Apropos of nothing, a facebook discussion has made me decide that a much less lame name for "e-reader", which sounds so late 90's, is "bookulator".

Carry on.

Paul le Fou
12-02-2013, 10:52 PM
I wonder if it won't just turn into "reader" soon, myself.

Not that I don't want "bookulator" to catch on, mind you. Who wouldn't want that?

Grignr
12-03-2013, 04:13 AM
In the old days, we called it the "pageless".

Droewyn
12-03-2013, 05:55 AM
Most people I know just call them Kindles, regardless of actual brand.

Issun
12-07-2013, 10:05 PM
I just call them the best thing ever.

Droewyn
12-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is a Kindle Daily Deal today.

Grignr
12-26-2013, 03:33 AM
Regency fans, there's a whole lot of Georgette Heyer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_397732202_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1001914951&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1HA507GSMY6EAYNPN9F5&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1708994362&pf_rd_i=1000677541) on sale! It's making me giddy! Mostly not the ones I've seen recommended on the front page, but if you pick one and scroll through the "other titles" bar you can see others on sale for $2 more easily than digging through the 200 book daily romance sale. Also lots of other romance books with SEALs and stuff (but not time-traveling Viking SEALs).

Anyone want to recommend the top Georgette Heyer books from the sale?
I've seen Cotillion (not on sale) and A Civil Contract (http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Contract-Georgette-Heyer-ebook/dp/B005UEBR30/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1388059964&sr=1-1&keywords=civil+contract) recommended for Bujold fans, and I saw These Old Shades (http://www.amazon.com/These-Old-Shades-Alastair-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00348UN8Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1388060000&sr=1-1&keywords=these+old+shades) recommended frequently when here works were out of print.

Also some Raymond Feist (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_397732202_11?ie=UTF8&hidden-keywords=B001NLKT0Q%7CB003D20RTG%7CB004HD62P8%7CB0 05O0AVE6%7CB00BS8SVGS&rh=i%3Adigital-text%2Cn%3A154606011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1HA507GSMY6EAYNPN9F5&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1708994362&pf_rd_i=1000677541) that isn't the original Riftwar so I haven't read it.