PDA

View Full Version : Sonic the Hedgehog X Megaman is a real thing that is happening (it's a comic)

onimaruxlr
07-10-2012, 02:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/6aZlT.jpg

Just when you thought the two classic game franchises with the most needlessly convoluted expanded universes couldn't get any more needlessly convoluted...

also here's a Hello Sonic doll

http://i.imgur.com/pzFpe.jpg

i realize it's childish of me, I realize it means that some part of my brain is retrograde and that I haven't really become a better human being than I was when I was 12 years old, and I realize that as someone who's approaching 30 years of age I shouldn't take such intense schadenfreudeic joy from seeing Sega shill out for any bucks that they can rustle up, but i can't help it

Kishi
07-10-2012, 02:53 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4CLoZ.png

SpoonyBardOL
07-10-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm less interested in the idea of a collaberation between Mega Man and Sonic than I am of one between Dr. Wily and Dr. Robotnik.

Wily and Robotnik, people. This better be awesome.

ThornGhost
07-10-2012, 08:32 AM
http://i.imgur.com/6aZlT.jpg

Have...have they taken off their clothes? You know, to trade Lunar pre-order bonuses?

Bongo Bill
07-10-2012, 08:36 AM
On the one hand, the Archie Mega Man comic is supposed to be really good.

On the other hand, the Archie Sonic comic is known to be really bad.

Excitemike
07-10-2012, 08:46 AM
i realize it's childish of me, I realize it means that some part of my brain is retrograde and that I haven't really become a better human being than I was when I was 12 years old, and I realize that as someone who's approaching 30 years of age I shouldn't take such intense schadenfreudeic joy from seeing Sega shill out for any bucks that they can rustle up, but i can't help it

You can't have Schadenfreude without misfortune, and there is nothing unfortunate about Archie's Sonic series. Despite Sega's best efforts to derail the video game franchise, the Archie series has been going strong for 20+ years. I'm trying to think of another licensed comic book series with such longevity but I can't come up with any.

Excitemike
07-10-2012, 08:49 AM

Well, as long as you have an informed opinion, that's all you need to know.

Chu
07-10-2012, 10:21 AM
I got an Archie Sonic comic a while ago as part of Free Comic Book day, and I was surprised that it was actually kinda good and fun with nice art.

On the other hand, it seems it's taken them 20+ years to be able to do that, because I know that older Archie Sonic is absolutely heinous. The art is good for a laugh (going through this Tumblr had me laughing so hard I was crying (http://amomentofarchiesonic.tumblr.com/)), but pair the bad art with the bad writing and the bad pacing, and... my brain didn't even know how to handle it.

I purposely sought out the infamous Titan Tails comic (you know, the one where he's fighting an elephant named Mammoth Mogul and turns superbuff by combining with his other selves from the multiverse), and it was way worse than I expected. And I was expecting something really bad!

tl;dr I think the newer Archie Sonic is OK but it's got a long history of poo-poo

TheSL
07-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Sonic comics get decent in bursts, at least judging from the 4 or 5 years I collected them as a kid. It was usually whenever the artist of the month didn't suck and they focused more on Sonic vs Dr. Robotnik instead of Sonic vs [leather alternate reality Sonic / Skunk guy / random other furries].

Chu
07-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Sonic vs [leather alternate reality Sonic / Skunk guy / random other furries].

Yeaaah. Having never seriously read Archie Sonic, I underestimated how many shitty, insane, crazy, bad, bad, bad furry storytelling tropes probably originated from it until I read through that Tumblr I linked.

Kirin
07-10-2012, 10:37 AM
You know, to trade Lunar pre-order bonuses?

Yesssssss.

Zef
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM

I'm fine with the crossover if it's an isolated story in its own, separate series, and it's never referenced in the MM comic and never creates any kind of "shared universe" between the two franchises. If any of it bleeds into the standalone Mega Man comic... I'm out :/ Which will be a real shame because I'm really digging the Mega Man comic!

Sorry, Sonic, it's not you, it's your ridiculously convoluted comic with its ten million Knuckles clones.

BEAT
07-10-2012, 11:11 AM
The fact that the sonic comics even exist, and continue to exist is kind of the most mind-blowing thing.

Excitemike
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm fine with the crossover if it's an isolated story in its own, separate series, and it's never referenced in the MM comic and never creates any kind of "shared universe" between the two franchises. If any of it bleeds into the standalone Mega Man comic... I'm out :/ Which will be a real shame because I'm really digging the Mega Man comic!

Sorry, Sonic, it's not you, it's your ridiculously convoluted comic with its ten million Knuckles clones.

You're going to be very disappointed!

The fact that the sonic comics even exist, and continue to exist is kind of the most mind-blowing thing.

They not only exist, they sell very well. Although that may have more to do with the lack of comics for children and just the general unavailability of comics. I hate to be in the position of defending Sonic comics, "decent in bursts" was a good way to put it. But I can find it in drug stores, supermarkets, convenience stores, etc. And it's a "known quantity" in the sense that I won't be too lost if I haven't read it in a while. Can't say the same about any superhero books I've found via newsstand distribution.

TheSL
07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
They not only exist, they sell very well. Although that may have more to do with the lack of comics for children and just the general unavailability of comics. I hate to be in the position of defending Sonic comics, "decent in bursts" was a good way to put it. But I can find it in drug stores, supermarkets, convenience stores, etc. And it's a "known quantity" in the sense that I won't be too lost if I haven't read it in a while. Can't say the same about any superhero books I've found via newsstand distribution.

This was like 90% of the reason I read them as a kid. You could always find Sonic at the grocery store, but it was hit or miss if you'd find X-Men and you'd be way more lost if you missed an issue.

Donny
07-10-2012, 12:39 PM
The Sonic comic has actually managed a pretty decent turn around in terms of quality but its still bogged down by so much ridiculous backstory and and so many unnecessary characters that I wish they would just do a hard reboot on it already. I care for Sonic's SATAM friends even less than I do most of the in-game ones.

And if this results in Wily making a Hedgehogman then it will be totally worth it.

Zef
07-10-2012, 01:20 PM
You're going to be very disappointed!

Well, at least it had a good run. :( And I'll always have Megamix!

No, I don't intend to give a Sonic/MM continuity a chance, because I'm not a Sonic fan in the slightest and I don't have any interest in reading anything about him. I also have no interest in comics that have decades of convoluted, soap opera-esque backstory, no matter how good it is (which is why the last Marvel comic I picked up was a standalone Thanos one ten years ago) and a "shared universe" would invariably start connecting said backstory to Mega Man. Since I wouldn't be reading anything but the Mega Man comics, any events happening in crossover material or tie-in comics would make me hopelessly lost, and I'd end up dropping the title anyway.

Donny
07-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Why would this be the end of the Mega Man comic? Even if the crossover effects events within the pages of the main series I doubt the plan is to permanently merge the two continuities.

Excitemike
07-10-2012, 01:28 PM
I imagine a 4-part crossover, with two parts in Sonic and two parts in MM. I don't think it would be a shared universe, it would most likely only involve the principle characters. Seems a shame to drop MM for that reason. Archie does a pretty good job keeping their titles accessible.

TheSL
07-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Archie does a pretty good job keeping their titles accessible.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Archie_meets_Punisher.jpg

Yeah, its not like Jughead shows up in Punisher regularly these days because of a little crossover.

Zef
07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I didn't say it would be the end of the comic, I said I would drop it. Because generally, I don't like crossover events that force readers to buy issues of a comic they have no interest in simply to be able to understand a story. If the main series has Sonic showing up in it, a character I have no interest in and whose intrusion would rub me the wrong way, it would be awkward. If it also has something like "See Sonic X Mega Man issue 4 for details! --Ed" as a footnote to explain a scene I don't get, then I'd already be missing something about the story or its background, especially if it's a major plot development with long-lasting effects (which is another reason I don't like big "event" comics, and why I hated Final Crisis.)

But like I said before, if the crossover is its own self-contained arc, and the main series goes on doing its own thing, I have no problem with it. Go wild with the crossover.

Octopus Prime
07-10-2012, 01:43 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Archie_meets_Punisher.jpg

Yeah, its not like Jughead shows up in Punisher regularly these days because of a little crossover.

Which is precisely the problem I have with the Punisher.

Anyhow, I kind of expect this to be like Secret Wars; it's briefly mentioned in the comic itself (generally in the form of someone saying "huh, that was weird. Now back to doing what we were doing") while the main story happens in a separate, ignorable comic.

And hopefully not like Secret Wars 2 where nobody knew what the hell was going on, the plot twas almost impossible to chart chronologically, and Sonic ends up teaching Dr. Wily how to poop.

Zef
07-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Also, part of my apprehension towards crossover comics is because of the more recent Darkwing Duck/Ducktales one. DW was actually a pretty awesome comic, well-written, lots of fun cameos and injokes, and great characterization. But Duck Tales was, if word of mouth is to be believed, a huge mess. So when Boom lost the rights, they decided to scuttle both licenses "go out with a bang" via a crossover finale. The result? All the DW issues leading up to it were stupendously awful. The crossover itself was a rushed trainwreck with little internal consistency, there was so much focus on giving everyone screentime that no one did anything of note, and the villains' motivations were all over the place. And I ended up buying two issues of Duck Tales, a series I didn't want to read, for my troubles.

On the other hand, I bought the JLA/Avengers TPB, and even it pokes fun at all the two universes' continuity snarls, and it's perfectly self-contained. As in, it's non-canon for Marvel and has vague references in DC, but nothing that happens in it is referenced in its contemporary comics and the action doesn't suddenly leap into tie-ins or separate issues of Marvel or DC's regular series. Everything is in this one book. Which makes it a lot more accessible and fun to read.

Chu
07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
I didn't say it would be the end of the comic, I said I would drop it.

But like I said before, if the crossover is its own self-contained arc, and the main series goes on doing its own thing, I have no problem with it. Go wild with the crossover.

I would be very surprised if this Sonic and Mega Man crossover wasn't entirely self-contained, because they would lose a lot of people for the same reasons they would lose you. Crossovers like this are done not only because they're ridiculous and fun, but because they're designed to get people interested in one series interested in the other, and to reward people interested in both.

Then again, there's the assumption here that Archie wants to keep things simple for their readers. But looking at the history of Archie Sonic... ha! Seriously though, I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Chu
07-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Also, part of my apprehension towards crossover comics is because of the more recent Darkwing Duck/Ducktales one. DW was actually a pretty awesome comic, well-written, lots of fun cameos and injokes, and great characterization. But Duck Tales was, if word of mouth is to be believed, a huge mess. So when Boom lost the rights, they decided to scuttle both licenses "go out with a bang" via a crossover finale. The result? All the DW issues leading up to it were stupendously awful. The crossover itself was a rushed trainwreck with little internal consistency, there was so much focus on giving everyone screentime that no one did anything of note, and the villains' motivations were all over the place. And I ended up buying two issues of Duck Tales, a series I didn't want to read, for my troubles.

My other post was written before I saw this one. Huh, I never knew that happened. Although it's kind of a weird situation since it was established since the beginning of Darkwing Duck as a cartoon series that it took place in the Duck Tales' universe*. There's Launchpad and Gizmo Duck in both series, after all. So like... when they crossed them over and botched it, was it a result of the Duck Tales' crappy writers writing crap for Darkwing Duck, or what? Is this crossover the "canon" ending for both DuckTales and Darkwing Duck? I like what I've read of the Darkwing Duck comic, so I'm curious to know if it's gone already.

*Although according to that one Disney Afternoon comic, apparently half the Disney afternoon all takes place in the same continuity?? We're talking Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Tale Spin, AND Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers all existing in the same world. Those first three make sense, but Chip 'n Dale is just weird, considering the scale and existence of humans.

Donny
07-10-2012, 02:20 PM
*Although according to that one Disney Afternoon comic, apparently half the Disney afternoon all takes place in the same continuity?? We're talking Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Tale Spin, AND Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers all existing in the same world. Those first three make sense, but Chip 'n Dale is just weird, considering the scale and existence of humans.

This is fudged by never showing humans during the Chip 'n Dale part though I'm pretty sure that comic series is considered non-canon for each show. Plus theres an episode of Darkwing Duck that establishes Chip 'n Dale as taking part in another universe.

Excitemike
07-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Plus theres an episode of Darkwing Duck that establishes Chip 'n Dale as taking part in another universe.

I need to see this. Is there a Disney Afternoon multiverse!?

Chu
07-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Found what I was talking about! There was a five-part crossover comic storyline in Disney Adventures that includes TaleSpin, Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop, DuckTales, and Darkwing Duck. It was called "Legend of the Chaos God" and can be read here: http://www.platypuscomix.net/otherpeople2/solego.html

Zef
07-10-2012, 05:18 PM
My other post was written before I saw this one. Huh, I never knew that happened. Although it's kind of a weird situation since it was established since the beginning of Darkwing Duck as a cartoon series that it took place in the Duck Tales' universe*. There's Launchpad and Gizmo Duck in both series, after all.

Yeah, DW has always been part of the Tales universe, in cartoon and comic. The ending of the first DW comic arc even brought Scrooge and the boys in for a cameo.

So like... when they crossed them over and botched it, was it a result of the Duck Tales' crappy writers writing crap for Darkwing Duck, or what? Is this crossover the "canon" ending for both DuckTales and Darkwing Duck? I like what I've read of the Darkwing Duck comic, so I'm curious to know if it's gone already.

Both comics ended with the crossover. I... don't remember how many arcs there were, but I'd say that the last great arc of the DW comic was the one involving F.O.W.L. Everything after that was setup for the finale.

I laughed so hard when Launchpad, trying out for new sidekick positions, tried to convince Gadget that he could fly the Ranger Plane :D

Red Silvers
07-10-2012, 05:25 PM
I need to see this. Is there a Disney Afternoon multiverse!?

Its from an episode called Twitching Channels.

Chu
07-10-2012, 08:58 PM
I laughed so hard when Launchpad, trying out for new sidekick positions, tried to convince Gadget that he could fly the Ranger Plane :D

Oh yeah, I saw that too! What a great gag. :D It's disappointing to hear the finale sucked, but I still want to check out the rest of the DW series.

Ghost from Spelunker
07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I wonder if this crossover would be better off using X instead of Megaman.

Nobuyuki
07-10-2012, 09:18 PM

They're saving that for Knuckles x X.

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-11-2012, 01:58 AM

Not in the past several years, it hasn't. It got a new writer, the same one who does Mega Man, in fact. It was probably even his work on Sonic that helped make Mega Man happen.

Suffice to say, having one guy who knows what he's doing rather than a conflicting team of writers who don't pay attention to what the others are doing surely helps.

Four issues in Mega Man, four in Sonic, and four in Sonic Universe over a four-month period is the spread.

Plus, it coincides with milestones (25 and 250) for the first two. Just missed issue 50 of SU.

Maybe, but they don't have an X comic, so...

They're saving that for Knuckles x X.

Knux is paired with Proto Man for this, and Bass with Shadow.

Here (http://kotaku.com/5924857/sonicmega-man-crossover-wont-feature-any-humananimal-romance/gallery/1) are some interviews (http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/07/10/sdcc-2012-mega-man-meets-sonic-the-hedgehog-archie-comics-crossover), if that helps. The first one features art, too.

locit
07-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Whatever, ya haters. This looks awesome:

http://i.imgur.com/HCouQ.jpg

SpoonyBardOL
07-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Huh, I've only been buying the TPB, but I didn't think Bass was brought into the Archie Mega Man series yet. Unless this crossover is taking place at some point in the future, or he's going to be introduced early.

Daikaiju
07-16-2012, 05:41 PM
This is going to be loopy. Innit?

Donny
07-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Mostly I like the idea that Espio is the equivalent of Eddy.

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Huh, I've only been buying the TPB, but I didn't think Bass was brought into the Archie Mega Man series yet. Unless this crossover is taking place at some point in the future, or he's going to be introduced early.

He isn't yet. That's all we really know.

Octopus Prime
07-17-2012, 04:30 AM
Isn't Silver supposed to be crazy SOnic the Hedgehog from the future? And he's in that image.

So... time travel, maybe?

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-18-2012, 02:55 AM
Silver's currently stuck in the present day, after botching his latest effort to root out the traitor amongst the current-day Freedom Fighters. Sonic didn't take that well at all, incidentally:

Part the first. (http://media.sonicscanf.org/comics/sonic-the-hedgehog/235/17.jpg)

Part the second. (http://media.sonicscanf.org/comics/sonic-the-hedgehog/235/18.jpg)

Part the third. (http://media.sonicscanf.org/comics/sonic-the-hedgehog/235/19.jpg)

But, the guys from Archie have alluded in interviews that Wily and Eggman are both known for bending such concepts as "time" and other forces to their will...

Kishi
07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Part the first. (http://media.sonicscanf.org/comics/sonic-the-hedgehog/235/17.jpg)

Sonic's window is pretty great.

Donny
07-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Theres too much drama going on there, but I approve of Sonic just straight up beating the shit out of Silver over and over again.

Zef
07-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Theres too much drama going on there, but I approve of Sonic just straight up beating the shit out of Silver over and over again.

We know how that's gonna end, though. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwOUrd8Jt7M)

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-19-2012, 12:35 AM
So... any drama, then? I mean, there needs to be some conflict and tension...

Kishi
07-19-2012, 12:51 AM
I like conflict when it comes from Dr. Eggman and his evil robots, and not oh my gosh did you hear what Silver said about Antoine?

Octopus Prime
07-19-2012, 07:44 AM
We know how that's gonna end, though. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwOUrd8Jt7M)

I like the little "oof" when he hits the... end of outer space?

BEAT
07-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Sonic's window is seriously the best thing ever.

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-19-2012, 10:28 AM
I like conflict when it comes from Dr. Eggman and his evil robots, and not oh my gosh did you hear what Silver said about Antoine?

Weeeeell, technically, the reason Antoine is in a coma in the first place is because Eggman self-destructed a Metal Sonic in his face, so there's that...

...and this is like the fourth or fifth time Silver has come back and slung accusations around that went nowhere, so he had it coming.

And, so far, what you saw above was about the extent of it. I think Sonic just basically told Silver to piss off and get lost after that, which put him into place for what comes next for him...

Chu
07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
This iteration of Archie Sonic seems fine compared to... well, everything before it. Out of curiosity, when did "good" Archie Sonic start and who's largely responsible?

madhair60
07-19-2012, 11:17 AM
I would put the rise in quality squarely at #160, and attribute it to Ian Flynn. It's that issue that Tracy Yardley starts drawing for them, I think, and Ian really goes to town on mopping up the idiotic number of loose ends. So, be aware that for a good year or so, you're going to get a lot of little "see issue #xxx" boxouts.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19832728/see.jpg

See?

Bergasa
07-19-2012, 12:29 PM
I sincerely appreciate how they have managed to keep the Sonic continuity going all this time without a reboot. Not that I have read it since I was a kid, but they have built something, and that is kind of cool. Mega Man seems like a fun comic. Maybe I will look into it (and potentially this crossover).

Zef
07-19-2012, 12:49 PM
See?

Holy crap, that mess. :eek: How many converging storylines in that trainwreck of a page? After seeing that, I will DEFINITELY never read a Sonic comic.

madhair60
07-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Holy crap, that mess. :eek: How many converging storylines in that trainwreck of a page? After seeing that, I will DEFINITELY never read a Sonic comic.

Haha, yeah. The thing is, they have largely fucked that off now in favour of a much smaller rogue's gallery and much tighter plotting. That page is Ian Flynn trying (and largely succeeding) in damage controlling Ken Penders' clusterfuck writing.

Honestly, it's good now. I still can't wholeheartedly recommend jumping in, though.

BEAT
07-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Ahahahah Ken Penders

Man.

Whatta guy!

Chu
07-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Ahahahah Ken Penders

Man.

Whatta guy!
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m70fpf1eH01rnsvazo1_250.gif (http://amomentofarchiesonic.tumblr.com/post/26987572239/found-the-trailer-for-the-lost-ones)

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-19-2012, 03:14 PM

That's what they were cleaning up so you wouldn't have to deal with stuff like that. =P They got it out of the way for people like you. =P

And it's clear that even they knew how ridiculous it had gotten; "my gosh... it's full of stars!"

Octopus Prime
07-19-2012, 04:42 PM
The "most powerful villain of all time" is an elephant in a business suit?

That's... that's just something else.

Bongo Bill
07-19-2012, 06:50 PM

That is clearly a mammoth in a double-breasted jacket.

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Well, he used to be... think of a cross between the Kingpin and Vandal Savage, and you get some idea of the guy...

Excitemike
07-19-2012, 08:18 PM

I talked to Sonic the Hedgehog today, he said he isn't going to read your comic either :cool:

Zef
07-19-2012, 08:21 PM
I talked to Sonic the Hedgehog today, he said he isn't going to read your comic either :cool:

Thank goodness. Wouldn't want all those Knuckles clones and cyborgs and cyborg Knuckles clones with cyber tentacle hair implants anywhere near.

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Not a concern any more...

madhair60
07-20-2012, 01:26 AM

MAMMOTH MOGUL, who is in the fortunate position of being a switcharoo away from being a Maverick.

Ventrue
07-20-2012, 11:17 PM
I actually remember that Mammoth from when I was around 11 or 12. I believe he stole the emeralds and corrupted Knuckles? (Or a version of him where he turned green.) I think it may have been slightly before #50 It's really hard to remember what all happened.

Donny
07-21-2012, 12:09 AM
I actually remember that Mammoth from when I was around 11 or 12. I believe he stole the emeralds and corrupted Knuckles? (Or a version of him where he turned green.) I think it may have been slightly before #50 It's really hard to remember what all happened.

Jeeze, I actually remember this. It was part of Ken Penders' whole weird ass thing where Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles were to act as messianic characters at some point. Knuckles turned into a living chaos emerald (due to reasons) and basically became the most powerful being in the comic for awhile. The mammoth mogul thing actually happened at the end of the arc where he stole Knuckles' energy and then Knuckles died and met god and then....JEEZE.

The main thing to remember though, is that there was a point in the comic where for over a year, Knuckles was GREEN instead of red. The fact that nobody at Sega pooped their pants over that shows how little attention they used to pay the comic.

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-21-2012, 01:13 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/LBDNytetrayn/Misc/tumblr_lzo2kn7Wuw1rnsvazo3_400.png

Knuckles was originally going to be green, so maybe that had something to do with SEGA's leniency? I don't know.

locit
07-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Jeeze, I actually remember this. It was part of Ken Penders' whole weird ass thing where Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles were to act as messianic characters at some point. Knuckles turned into a living chaos emerald (due to reasons) and basically became the most powerful being in the comic for awhile. The mammoth mogul thing actually happened at the end of the arc where he stole Knuckles' energy and then Knuckles died and met god and then....JEEZE.
Some kids grew up with Death of Superman or Knightfall. I grew up with this.

Thanks, Ken Penders. Thanks for that.

Excitemike
07-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Some kids grew up with Death of Superman or Knightfall. I grew up with this.

Thanks, Ken Penders. Thanks for that.

You may be better off.

BEAT
07-21-2012, 07:56 AM

You cross him, and he never forgets.

Egarwaen
07-23-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure we can actually blame a single writer for this unless he also did Archie's Ninja Turtles comic. I remember reading a few issues of that as a wee lad, and the sheer number of parallel plotlines, alternate futures, and what-if stories makes Silver Age DC comics look positively straightforward.

Donny
07-23-2012, 04:05 PM
No pretty much everything boneheaded and terrible in the Sonic comic is due to Ken Penders' big over arching plan for the series. He was forced off the book, which is why its fairly tolerable now. If you want an idea of how batshit the guy is, he is currently suing Archie and Sega for control of the characters he created for the book (most of which are "knuckles in a tie" and "knuckles only whoops the artist used a mauve fill instead of red") so he can tell his own stories set in the Sonic universe.

Octopus Prime
07-23-2012, 04:41 PM
So he's the only person on record as to actually take "Original Character: Do Not Steal" seriously?

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-24-2012, 02:46 AM
I'm not sure we can actually blame a single writer for this unless he also did Archie's Ninja Turtles comic. I remember reading a few issues of that as a wee lad, and the sheer number of parallel plotlines, alternate futures, and what-if stories makes Silver Age DC comics look positively straightforward.

Come now, it wasn't that bad...

And it was guys from Mirage who mainly did the TMNT book for Archie.

Meanwhile, over at Archie, you had several guys writing stuff for Sonic who didn't care/pay attention to what each other was doing. Or at least Penders didn't, from what I recall.

teg
07-24-2012, 04:30 AM
guys titling this thread as "Sonic the Hedgehog X Megaman" makes it look like slash fiction.

...which it may very well be! only time will tell

Donny
07-24-2012, 06:27 PM
guys titling this thread as "Sonic the Hedgehog X Megaman" makes it look like slash fiction.

...which it may very well be! only time will tell

Flynn was working on the story from day one of Archie producing the Mega Man book so who knows what else he was working on with it. Is the world even ready for a Dr Cossack/Vector the Crocodile romance?! Yes.

So he's the only person on record as to actually take "Original Character: Do Not Steal" seriously?

Could be much worse. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htt1f6icteU&feature=plcp)

Kishi
01-03-2013, 09:34 PM
So, this happened (http://i.imgur.com/Pk59I.jpg).

Tomm Guycot
01-12-2013, 12:24 PM
So, this happened (http://i.imgur.com/Pk59I.jpg).

The cover already says EFF so I don't have to.

Excitemike
05-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Hey, is anyone reading this? It's pretty great so far.

Excitemike
05-31-2013, 12:17 PM
http://excitemike.net/eye_robot/comix/mmxs01.gif

http://excitemike.net/eye_robot/comix/mmxs02.gif

http://excitemike.net/eye_robot/comix/mmxs03.gif

http://excitemike.net/eye_robot/comix/mmxs04.gif

TirMcDohl
05-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Are you saying that this shit isn't a miniseries, but taking place in both continuities, and crossing over the comic lines? Ugh. I hate it. Just call the whole story arc "Sonic X Megaman" or whatever and keep it to its own damn miniseries. There's a reason that Countdown failed so spectacularly.

Excitemike
05-31-2013, 01:13 PM
I think what I like most about it is that the Sonic side is sticking with Sega characters, no Archie friends to be seen. It's not like the continuity is very tight to begin with, I don't see the problem.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-01-2013, 03:31 AM
Are you saying that this shit isn't a miniseries, but taking place in both continuities, and crossing over the comic lines? Ugh. I hate it. Just call the whole story arc "Sonic X Megaman" or whatever and keep it to its own damn miniseries. There's a reason that Countdown failed so spectacularly.

"Worlds Collide," spanning 12 issues over four months. It's about halfway done already.

And for what it's worth, though they are part of their respective series proper, the only numbering on the front of the books are for the crossover: Part 1 of 12, Part 2 of 12, etc.

So far, it's been quite enjoyable.

Daikaiju
06-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Good thing for that checklist in MM #25 and Comixology.

Red Silvers
06-01-2013, 04:34 PM
I just bought half the series.

SpoonyBardOL
06-05-2013, 04:16 AM
Belated but

http://excitemike.net/eye_robot/comix/mmxs04.gif

There's already a Shadow Man!

Deptford
06-05-2013, 06:16 AM
Don't worry, that's addressed!
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/ReenayeStarr/ShadowMen.png~original

Right after Wily and Robotnik shit-talk Dr. Light.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/ReenayeStarr/Hack.png~original

And shortly before this happens
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/ReenayeStarr/Blocks.png~original

I'm loving the heck outta these damn things.

SpoonyBardOL
06-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Don't worry, that's addressed!

Right after Wily and Robotnik shit-talk Dr. Light.

And shortly before this happens

Acceptable.

Wolfgang
06-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Acceptable.

Sprite
06-05-2013, 01:19 PM
I fail to experience anything but fun from these images. Is a trade planned?

Jeanie
06-05-2013, 01:56 PM
I fail to experience anything but fun from these images. Is a trade planned?

Yes! (http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Mega-Man-Worlds-Collide/dp/1936975688/ref=pd_sim_b_3) but not until November.

Red Silvers
06-08-2013, 01:57 AM

It's hand waved a bit, since the Doctors rewrite the timelines in their two universes.

Octopus Prime
06-08-2013, 04:31 AM
Well heck, Depts managed to sell me.

SpoonyBardOL
06-08-2013, 07:23 AM
So hey, the next trade of the Mega Man comic comes out next week. I'm excited.

And the one after that comes out......

January. :|

Yes! (http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Mega-Man-Worlds-Collide/dp/1936975688/ref=pd_sim_b_3) but not until November.

So yeah I'll happily buy this in the meantime.

Excitemike
06-08-2013, 07:30 AM
I've actually been getting confused about what issues to get and in what order, so:

http://excitemike.net/eye_robot/comix/MMxScheck.png

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Again, it shouldn't be a problem-- while those are indeed the official numbers for their issues in each series, the Worlds Collide covers are each self-numbered: Worlds Collide - Part 1 of 12, Worlds Collide - Part 2 of 12, and so on. It's like a series within a series... or three.

Excitemike
06-09-2013, 04:54 PM
I had to keep darting between the M section and the S section. Trust me, it's confusing :p It was even worse on comixolgy, where you can't tell what the banner says from the thumbnail.

I managed to pick most of these up today from my comic store, just missing the first part. I even found a variant cover!

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Oh! Well, I can't speak for Comixology-- I've been getting mine in print. Yeah, I can see where that would present more of a problem.

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-26-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't know which thread is better, so I'm posting in both. In any case, preview for the last part of Worlds Collide (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/07/25/preview-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-251-worlds-collide-part-12-the-end-is-here/), due in comic shops this Wednesday.

Daikaiju
07-27-2013, 04:44 AM
i alreayd have MM on my pull list so I use Comixology for the Sonic portions.

Excitemike
07-30-2013, 11:20 AM
http://excitemike.net/eye_robot/comix/MMxSrps.jpg

I thought the part at the bottom was pretty amusing. It's all the little details that have made this so fun.

Red Silvers
07-31-2013, 11:57 PM
That ending.