PDA

View Full Version : Free With Any Two Cans of Pringles - Let's Read Double Trouble!

Loki
07-12-2012, 11:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/K34g0.jpg

To Juana and Kelly
who inspired us to play with power

Copyright(c) 1991 by Nintendo. All Rights Reserved.
Covery artwork copyright (C) 1991 Nintendo.

Nintendo, Super Mario Bros, and Mario, Luigi, Boswer the Koopa King, Iggy Koopa and the Goombas are trademaks of Nintendo.
All rights reserved, including the right to reproduce
this book or portions thereof in any form whatsoever.
For information address Pocket Books, 1230 Avnus
of the Americas, New York, NY 10020
ISBN: 0-671-74112-8

Printed in U.S.A.

Creative Media Applications, Inc.
Series developed by Dan Oehlsen, Lary Rosenblatt & Barbara Stewart
Art direction by Fabia Wargin Design
Cover painting by Greg Wray
Puzzle Art by Josie Koehne
Edited by Eloise Flood

Special thanks to Ruth Ashby, Lisa Clancy, Paolo Pepe
& George Sinfield

http://i.imgur.com/D8TnR.jpg

Double Trouble was the first in a series of books designed to teach kids that some video games weren't played on a television set, but rather in the depths of the mind. I never finished this book as a tyke because I was either too stupid, too lazy, or two busy playing a real game. Now, twenty years later, our time of vengance is at hand.

Dear Game Player:

You are about to guide me through a great adventure. As you read this book, you will help me decide where to go and what to do. Whether I succeed or fail is up to you.

At the end of every chapter, you will make choices that determine what happens next. Special puzzles will help you decide what I should do--if you can solve them. That chapters in this book are in a special order. Sometimes you must go backward in order to go forward, if you know what I mean.

Along the way, you'll find many different items to help me. with my quest. When you read that I have found something, such as a magnifying glass, you'll see a box like the one below:

*** Mario collects one coin, and he now has the magnifying galss***
Turn to page 96.

Use page 121 to keep track of the things you collect and to keep score.

Good luck!
Driplessly yours,

Mario

http://i.imgur.com/N3pVd.gif

Loki
07-12-2012, 11:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wP6Se.png

Bzzang! Clang! Bee-bee-beep! It's the emergency alarm! Red warning lights begin to flash. One after another, alarm bells ring throughout the Mario Bros.' house.

"Ooooh," groans Mario, opening one eye. The bedroom he shares with his brother Luigi is almost pitch black, but their plunger-shaped alarm clock glows in the dark. Mario squints at the faint green numbers. "It's three in the morning," he moans. Sitting up, he runs a hand through his thick black hair.

http://i.imgur.com/WxzO9.png

Ahooohhah! Honk! Before Mario has a chance to get out of bed, the alarm goes off a second time. The lights automatically switch on and a pillow on the end of a mechanical arm swings down from the ceiling. It knocks Mario out of the top bunk and onto the floor.

"All right, all right, I'm up," he grumbles, scrambling into his bright red overalls. Grabbing his hat and his waterproof plumber's wristwatch, he charges out of the bedroom and down the hall. He hurries past the supply room, the game room, and the kitchen, and heads into the plumbing workshop to answer the emergency call.

The place is a mess, as usual. A pair of socks hangs among the racks of wrenches and spare copper tubing. On a table, buried under several stale balogna sandwiches, is a broken garbage disposal.

"Definitely have to get this room organized someday," says Mario. "But I'd better answer this call first."

Mario sits down in front of the Mushroom Kingdom Network System, which takes up the eastern wall of the workshop. He shoves a two-day-old plate of ravioli to one side and throws the main power switch.

"Now, let's see what all the fuss is about," he says as he waits for the video screen to come to life.

The Mario Bros.' communication system has come a long way since the day they were first called upon to save the Mushroom Kingdom. Back then, they had to listen for Princess Toadstool's voice ringing through the pipe that leads from her mysterious world to the plumbing shop. Now they rely on an advanced network of computers, radio telescopes, homing pigeons and TV monitors. But, for some reason, today the network doesn't seem to be working.

"Mario... Crackle... quickly!" The voice of Princess Toadstool fades in and out of one speaker. Mario fiddles witg several dials, but the video screen is awash with static. "Bring Luigi and a... Buzz... to the palace... Crackle... please hurry!"

"I'm not going to bother trying to get this equipment working," says Mario, getting up from his chair. "It sounds like the princess needs us there on the double!"

http://i.imgur.com/hXzK0.jpg

Turn to page 4

http://i.imgur.com/QSd1P.png

"Luigi! Wake up!" Mario calls as he runs back into the bedroom.

No one answers.

Mario considers waking his brother with a bucket of cold water. But the last time he did that, Luigi got even by filling Mario's shoes with some of his top secret spaghetti sauce. So Mario leans over the bottom bunk where his brother sleeps and gently pulls back the heavy wool blanket.

The bed is empty!

"That's strange," says Mario, puzzled. "Luigi usually sleeps seventeen hours a day. Why would he be up at this time of night?"

He looks around the bedroom. Everything is in is places-two dressers, a stand-up mirror, their comic book collection-but there's no sign of Luigi.

Mario peers down the hall and notices a faint blue light spilling out of the kitchen doorway. But before he has a chance to investigate, the Mushroom Kingdom alarm begins to ring once more.

Ahoogah! Ahoogah!

"I'm coming, Princess!" shouts Mario. He runs down the hallway and starts to unlock the supply room door. At that moment, the alarm goes off again, louder than ever.

Should Mario look for supplies? Maybe he should find Luigi first. Or maybe he should jyst head to the Mushroom Kingdom immediately. He'd better decide-quickly!

If you think Mario should search for Luigi, turn to page 100.
If you think Mario should get supplies, turn to page 34.
If you think Mario should head straight to the Mushroom Kingdom, turn to page 68.

Alright guys, should we head out right away, check with the AAA for road conditions, or head to the store to pick up some extra guns?

Red Silvers
07-13-2012, 12:20 AM
It's Dangerous To Go Alone! Take some supplies.

Adam
07-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Ain't got time to spare, get your ass to the Marshroom Kingdom.

Octopus Prime
07-13-2012, 02:37 AM
Luig might be in danger! And he's the hero we all strive to be.

You gotta find Luigi, Loki! You just gotta!

BŁge
07-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Get some supplies! Who knows what might come in handy?

kaisel
07-13-2012, 08:10 AM
If Luigi just sleeps all day then he's useless, and you don't see Mario grabbing supplies in the games. Head straight to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Stiv
07-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Mushroom Kingdom is the only way to go. Supplies and Luigi are for suckers.

Falselogic
07-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Hit the road!

Kirin
07-13-2012, 10:06 AM
SURPRISE!SUPPLIES!!i!

BŁge
07-13-2012, 10:16 AM
You just know he's left his lucky lump of beeswax or half a stale pizza in his supply chest and it's going to bite him in the ass if he doesn't take them.

shivam
07-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Luigi is the true hero of mario bros, so we have to get him.

Red Silvers
07-13-2012, 04:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/N3pVd.gif

If your score is between 100 and 200... YOU ARE NOTHING.

Nodal
07-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Mario isn't some old granny! To the mushroom kingdom!

Loki
07-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Hit the road!

"Geronimo!" yells Mario. "It's time to save the Mushroom Kingdom." He dives into the central pipe in the middle of the workshop and tumbles down into the darkness. "You know, " he mutters to himself, "no matter how often I go to the Mushroom Kingdom, I still hate this part."

He falls through the pipe for hundreds of feet, or maybe hundreds of miles-he can't tell. Then, suddenly, he shoots out the other end and drops into a tuft of spongy grass.

Mario gets up and looks around. High overhead, brick platforms and clusters of metal boxes hang mysteriously from the sky. Rows of bright flowers and polka-dot mushrooms spread out in every direction.

Once again, Mario is at the entrance to the Mushroom Kingdom, the magical land that he and Luigi have vowed to protect.

Turn to page 102.

Mario steps onto the brick road that winds through the Mushroom Kingdom. Immediately, a bright blue turtle charges at him. Mario hops into the air. The small reptile scuttles underneath without touching him.

"Those Koopa Troopas aren't very bright," Mario says, watching the turtle scamper off.

Just then, he feels something bump into him and a sharp pain shoots through his leg. He looks down to find another turtle with its teeth dug into his ankle.

"Ouch! Where did you come from?" asks Mario, picking up the small blue turtle. It looks exactly like the one he just dodged.

Mario frowns at the turtle, but it doesn't answer. "Oh, never mind," he says. He drops it to the ground and shoves it out of the way.

"Things seem normal enough," he notes as he looks about the countryside. But after a minute he begins to change his mind.

The Mushroom Kingdom is made up of open meadows, rolling hills, and valleys. There's usually room for every creature there to go about its business undisturbed. But today, for some reason, the kingdom seems crowded. Beetles swarm about in such great numbers that a single flock entirely covers a grassy hill by the road. Orange Tweeter birds fight for space on a nearby brick ledge.

Mario watches two tiny masked creatures walk by. That's strange, too, he thinks. Shyguys almost always travel alone.

"I'd better get to the bottom of this," says Mario, gazing around. A few feet ahead, the road forks. One path zig-zags up to the royal palace. The other winds around some metal boxes and fades into the distance.

Mario must decide which path to take. He's sure he'll find trouble on either one.

If you think Mario should go to the palace, turn to page 79.
If you think Mario should explore the Mushroom Kingdom, turn to page 26.

This one's a no-brainer, as it's the princess what was all like "oh wah wah help wah."

Loki
07-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Mario decides he'd better talk to the princess before doing anything else. So he scampers up the path that leads to the palace.

Along the way, and on into the distance in every direction, the landscape is dotted with strange yet familiar structures. Stone staircases climb ten feet into the air and stop. Brick ledges hang in the sky, though nothing seems to be holding them up. Metal boxes are scattered all over the blue-green hills.

Mario hops onto a stack of red and blue cubes and snatches two shiny coins that are hanging above them. "These might come in handy later," he says. "I hear the princess just installed a new gumball machine at the palace." Then he continues on his way.

It usually takes Mario about thirty seconds to dash up the road to the palace. Today, though, it takes him almost ten minutes. Too many creatures get in his way.

He bounds up the grand marble staircase to the palace's front gate. One of the two royal doormen is standing guard. "Hello, Brock," Mario calls as he passes.

The muscular mushroom salutes, touching his furry white helmet.

Mario goes inside. As he walks down the main hall, he senses that all is not as it should be. Paintings are missing from the walls, and there are muddy footprints all over the carpets. Wooster, the king's finicky assistant, would never allow the palace to become such a mess-something must really be wrong!

Mario stops to inspect a pile of broken flower pots. Just then the other royal doorman walks by. "Hi, Gerkins," says Mario.

"I'm Brock," the doorman answers.

"Hmph," mutters Mario. "I thought I just saw Brock. Well, maybe I was wrong."

Mario hurries to the throne room. Along the way, he thinks he sees the same doorman a third time. Now he's confused. Maybe Princess Toadstool can clear up this mystery!

*** Mario collects two coins. ***
Turn to page 114.

http://i.imgur.com/5yRTi.jpg

Thank goodness you're here," cries Princess Toadstool the moment Mario opens the royal double doors. She's dressed in a long pink evening gown and matching earrings. She's as beautiful as ever, Mario thinks. But her fingernails are bitten all the way to the quick. She looks really stressed out!

http://i.imgur.com/xbv8S.png

"I was afraid you didn't get my message," she says, fingering her gold and emerald necklace.

Mario gazes around the throne room. The place is a madhouse. There are two of almost everyone in the hall! Everyone is yelling at his or her double. Even one of the royal pool cleaners is looking in a mirror and yelling at her reflection. "I guess she got confused," Princess Toadstool says.

"Looks like you've got a major disaster on your hands, Princess," says Mario. "But what happened?"

"It all started two days ago, when the mailman showed up with bunches of flowers for everyone," explains Princess Toadstool. "Everyone took their flowers to their room. But Wooster dropped his, Toad's, and mine when I asked him to put them on the windowsill. Then the next morning when Wooster watered the king's flowers, they started crackling and shooting sparks. All the bouquets had strange-looking tiny cameras hidden in them!"

The princess's heels click on the throne room's marble floor as she paces anxiously. "As soon as we figured that out, we threw all the flowers away. But it was too late. Doubles of almost everyone began to appear. Since then, things have been getting more and more confusing. No one can remember whom they've spoken to, the royal refrigerator is empty from feeding all the extras, and swarms of monsters are overrunning the kingdom!"

Mario arches one bushy black eyebrow. "I smell a big, fat Koopa rat," he says.

"That's not even the worst part," warns the princess, adjusting her tiny crown....

Turn to page 53.

"Now we have two contenders for the throne!"

Princess Toadstool leads Mario up to the front of the room, where two identical kings are taking turns pushing each other off the big gold throne. Each is wearing a purple robe and an onion-shaped crown. Wooster, the royal mushroom assistant, is there too, wringing his hands. His usually spotless apron is covered with dirt. He looks as if he hasn't slept for days.

"You've got to help us, Mario!" wails the tall mushroom. "I've been so busy trying to clean up after two kings, I haven't even had time to wind the royal cuckoo clocks!"

"Frankly, your Highness," Mario whispers to the princess, "it could be worse. I've never seen the king actually do anything anyway."

"It's the principle of the thing!" snaps the princess. "Every kingdom needs a king, and there can be only one king in every castle, and we've got two-so... help!"

"I'll do what I can," Mario promises.

Just then he notices that Toad, the royal mushroom retainer, is not around. "Where's Toad?" he asks.

"He went out to find a magnifying glass," answers Wooster. "He thought it might help us discover who the real king is."

"Great idea," says one of the two kings.

"I was just about to say that!" cries the other one.

"I wonder whether I have a magnifying glass with me," says Mario. He starts to check his pockets.

*** Check your notes to see what equipment Mario is carrying to decide what happens next. ***
If Mario has a magnifying glass, turn to page 64.
If Mario does not have a magnifying glass, turn to page 116.

And you jerks didn't want to get supplies. GUESS WE'RE OUT OF LUCK GAME OVER HERE WE COME.

Loki
07-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Mario's plumber's pockets are chockful of useful stuff, but no magnifying glass.

"Time to look for Toad!" Mario declares. Promising the princess he'll be back as soon as possible, he rushes out of the palace and heads off into the Mushroom Kingdom. As he skips down a hill, he trips over a large metal pipe-stump. "What's this?" he says, peering into the circular opening. Below him, a small, dimly lit chamber is filled with sparkling coins. It's also sprinkled with Shyguys.

"Yahoo!" shouts Mario, diving into the pit. He gathers as many coins as he can before climbing back out onto the grass.

"This is great," he says, counting his change. "Now I can buy Luigi that electric bowling ball he's been asking for." He drops the coins into one of his overalls pockets and continues his search for Toad.

Solve this puzzle to find out how many coins Mario collects:

Study this map carefully.

Cross out any three Shyguy pests.

Count up the total number of coins that Mario will be able to reach without touching any of the remaining Shyguys. Mario may follow more than one path to collect coins, but don't count any coin more than once!

http://i.imgur.com/DQ04L.jpg

If Mario gathered 20 or more coins, turn to page 55.
If Mario gathered fewer than 20 coins, turn to page 21.

Uh... dang! Um... this is really hard. Can you guys solve how many coins Mario stole from a defenseless minority?

Red Silvers
07-14-2012, 01:38 AM
Can I post a picture with my answer, or just the answer I got?

Loki
07-14-2012, 01:45 AM
You can post anything you want.

Red Silvers
07-14-2012, 01:48 AM
In that case:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Wyrnn/MarioCoins.jpg

Mario gives it his best shot, but he gets less than 20 coins.

Mogri
07-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I remember this. If you turn to page 55, it calls you a dirty rotten cheater.

Falselogic
07-14-2012, 10:52 AM
I thought we got the magnifying glass on like the very first page? I read where it said to put it in your inventory.

Octopus Prime
07-14-2012, 10:58 AM
I thought we got the magnifying glass on like the very first page? I read where it said to put it in your inventory.

That was just an example of things you could do, Flawg!

Loki woudnt steer us wrong! He might leave Luigi to die like a gutter-tras animal, but e wouldn't steer us wrong!

SpoonyBardOL
07-14-2012, 12:57 PM
This book! I had this book! Man, this takes me back.

Anyway, I use a Game Genie and get all the coins.

Red Silvers
07-14-2012, 01:03 PM
I had five or six of the books, but barely remember much of them.

Loki
07-15-2012, 02:04 AM
This book! I had this book! Man, this takes me back.

Anyway, I use a Game Genie and get all the coins.

Alright that's like 33 or something, nice!

STOP! It's impossible to get that result. Go back to the page you just read and try again!

http://i.imgur.com/PWERJ.jpg

Then why is that even a choice, book? Why is that even a choice?

Mario gives it his best shot, but he gets less than 20 coins.

"Toad could be just about anywhere," Mario sighs, as he looks out across the Mushroom Kingdom countryside. But the plumber doesn't get much time to think about the places he could go to look for Toad. Less than five minutes from the palace, he hears Toad's squeaky voice. And it's coming from the very center of an enormous Piranha Patch!

"Oh no," says Mario. He gazes into the field of swirling, snarling green plants. "These overgrown flytraps are bad news."

"Save me!" cries Toad.

Mario can see a white dot in the middle of the moving green field. "I'm on my way!" he calls, and begins to make his way through the vicious plants.

Turn to page 90.

Loki
07-15-2012, 02:08 AM
"Unhand my pal, you dirty weeds!" Mario shouts. He pushes his way through the growling green monsters.

One huge Piranha plant turns to face him. It runs a fleshy pink tongue across its lips and twists its green mouth into a horrible grin.

Mario picks up a baseball-sized rock and hurls it at the plant. "Batter up!" he calls.

Quickly, the creature picks up a large stick with its mouth and uses it to bat the stone away. Mario looks around. Oh no! Nearly all the Piranha plants have picked up sticks-and they're swinging them at him!"

"Uh-oh," he mutters. "I shouldn't have given them any ideas."

The mean green sluggers block his path in every direction. Mario needs an exit, and fast!

Play this game to see what happens next:

Start in the center of this drawing and move two spaces in any direction to land on a box.

Each time you land on a new space, read the number there and move that many spaces in the direction the arrow points.

Keep moving until you land on a drawing of Mario or a Piranha plant. When that happens, the game is over. Look at the bottom of this page to find out where you should turn next.

http://i.imgur.com/5GTWj.jpg

If you stop on a plant, turn to page 119.
If you stop on Mario, turn to page 78.

you can't hop on a plant mario why would you even

Does Mario save the day or does he fuck it up like always?

Octopus Prime
07-15-2012, 04:15 AM
I used the power of IMAGINATION to pla and I landed on a plant.

Why you gotta ruin things for everyone, Imagaintion? You suck!

Kirin
07-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Well, I picked down and ended up on jumping Mario. Apparently my imagination is better than Octo's.

SpoonyBardOL
07-15-2012, 10:00 AM
I landed on Mario too but I wanna pick Piranha Plant to see the result.

Nodal
07-15-2012, 10:01 AM
I landed on the Mario.

BŁge
07-15-2012, 10:32 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ElNvG.png

Man, what a lame puzzle. You have a 75% chance of succeeding.

Mogri
07-15-2012, 11:10 AM
I picked up and landed on happy jumping Mario, which makes sense because down leads to the up tile. Octo, why you gotta ruin this?

(edit) no, I can't read instructions either, why do you ask

Loki
07-15-2012, 11:33 PM
The Marios have it. You guies is lame, I wanned to see Piranha Plant too.

The horrible green creatures fan out their leaves, surrounding Mario. They swing their sticks at him viciously. Whap! One of them smacks Mario on the side of the head. He stumbles out of the Piranha Patch and passes out cold. The inning is over.

Of course, Piranha plants could never be really great baseball players-they couldn't run the bases.

When Mario wakes, he staggers back to the entrance to the Mushroom Kingdom. But his whacking has made him forget everything that has happened in the last two hours!

Turn to page 102.

That's right, the Mario space looses. I don't know if this is an error in the book or what but you just gave Mario short terms amnessia.

http://i.imgur.com/Mjlnx.png

Mario steps onto the brick road that winds through the Mushroom Kingdom. Immediately, a bright blue turtle charges at him. Mario hops into the air. The small reptile scuttles underneath without touching him.

"Those Koopa Troopas aren't very bright," Mario says, watching the turtle scamper off.

Just then, he feels something bump into him and a sharp pain shoots through his leg. He looks down to find another turtle with its teeth dug into his ankle.

"Ouch! Where did you come from?" asks Mario, picking up the small blue turtle. It looks exactly like the one he just dodged.

Mario frowns at the turtle, but it doesn't answer. "Oh, never mind," he says. He drops it to the ground and shoves it out of the way.

"Things seem normal enough," he notes as he looks about the countryside. But after a minute he begins to change his mind.

The Mushroom Kingdom is made up of open meadows, rolling hills, and valleys. There's usually room for every creature there to go about its business undisturbed. But today, for some reason, the kingdom seems crowded. Beetles swarm about in such great numbers that a single flock entirely covers a grassy hill by the road. Orange Tweeter birds fight for space on a nearby brick ledge.

Mario watches two tiny masked creatures walk by. That's strange, too, he thinks. Shyguys almost always travel alone.

"I'd better get to the bottom of this," says Mario, gazing around. A few feet ahead, the road forks. One path zig-zags up to the royal palace. The other winds around some metal boxes and fades into the distance.

Mario must decide which path to take. He's sure he'll find trouble on either one.

If you think Mario should go to the palace, turn to page 79.
If you think Mario should explore the Mushroom Kingdom, turn to page 26.

We're not going to waste our time going back to the palace, even though Mario doesn't remember being there. Off into the Kingdom we's goes!

Loki
07-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Mario decides to check out the Mushroom Kingdom before heading to the palace. "A quick peek is always a good idea," he says to himself as he bounces down the road.

Mario thinks the Mushroom Kingdom is the most beautiful place he's ever seen. It's full of roaring waterfalls, brilliant rainbows, and clear, sparkling ponds. The weather is nearly always sunny and warm. And with all the pipe passageways, underground caverns, and hidden treasures Mario keeps discovering, there are endless opportunities for adventure.

Of course, even beautiful places have their problems. When he travels to the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario's almost certain to run into some unfriendly creatures. Tweeter birds always try to land on his head. Masked Snifits often sting him with pointy little bullets. It he tries to have a picnic, giant Hoopster bugs are almost certain to carry away half of the food.

But Mario is a professional creature-dodger as well as a master plumber. Even though there seem to be twice as many pests as usual, he hops and skips over pairs of Shguys, Fryguys and Clawgrips with the grace of a fine ballet dancer-or at least of a mediocre football player.

Mario counts the creatures as he walks. "Sometime is definitely wrong here," he says. "I'm seeing everything twice!"

As he tries to figure out what direction the creatures are coming from, Mario notices two separate shapes approaching in the sky. One seems to be a flock of small creatures. The other is harder to see, but it looks like one huge, shadowy form.

If you think Mario should head toward the flock of small creatures, turn to page 31.
If you think Mario should head toward the giant shadow, turn to page 51.

Kai Lords always investigate giant shadows.

Mario walks toward the solitary giant shadow in the sky. As he gets closer to the floating object, its features become frightfully clear. It's the Doom Ship-the Koopa family's floating battleship and number one secret weapon. It looks very much like an ancient sailing ship, except that it's covered with propellers, bubbling slime spouters, and deadly flame-throwing Koopa cannons. The evil craft is hovering above a bed of snapping black Muncher plants.

"The Doom Ship!" says Mario excitedly. "I knew that dark ark was involved in this business somehow."

Standing at the wheel, searching the landscape with a telescope, is an enormous armored turtle in bright pink sunglasses. It's Roy Koopa, the meanest of the seven Koopa kids. Roy and Mario spot each other in the same instant.

"Yoo-hoo! Roy! Come down here for a minute," calls Mario. "I've got a few things I'd like to ask you."

"Not on your life, plungerface!" yells Roy. He spins the Doom Ship's great wooden steering wheel. Slowly, the boat turns to the east and begins to drift away.

"Oh no you don't!" Mario dashes after the floating warship. He tries to grab one of the many cables and ropes trailing below the craft, but they're just out of reach.

"Bon voyage!" shouts Roy Koopa.

The Doom Ship starts to rise into the sky. There's plenty more to see in the Mushroom Kingdom. But if Mario is going to try to board the boat, the time is now!

If Mario has the anchor from the supply room, turn to page 105.
If you think Mario should try to jump and reach the Doom Ship, turn to page 87.
If you think Mario should let the Doom Ship go and continue to explore the Mushroom Kingdom, turn to
page 58.

Damnit we could have used that supply stop if Mario could even recall that was a choice! Well, we're not just going to let Roy get away, looks like we're going to have to jump!!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/XIDHD.png

"Come back here, you rotten reptile," calls Mario, chasing after the Doom Ship/

As the evil boat begins to climb, Mario makes a jump for it. He snatches at a cluster of cables and wires hanging from the bottom of the vessel. Slowly, hand over hand, he climbs up to the wooden hull. There must be something solid to hold onto! At last, his fingers find a thin metal rail that encircles the boat's hull. He grabs it, throws one leg over, and hauls himself up.

Running a hand along the hull, Mario discovers a small hole with a cord dangling from it. He reels in the cord and find an anchor tied to the end. That's useful!

He balances precariously on the thin rail. "Look, Ma! No hands!" he shouts. He swings the anchor around his head, hoping he can throw it onto the deck of the Doom Ship.

Solve this puzzle to see what happens next:

Use a ruler or straight edge to draw a line in the direction that Mario's anchor is pointing.

When the line reaches a new anchor, study it carefully. If it looks exactly like Mario's anchor, draw a line in the direction of the new anchor. Otherwise, continue drawing your line in the same direction until you come to a different anchor.

Repeat these steps. Eventually, you'll reach the top of the Doom Ship. Your line will lead you to directions that will tell you where to turn next.

If you land on the O, turn to page 94.
If you land on the X, turn to page 105.

http://i.imgur.com/YfQPS.jpg

In the games you just lept up on the ship like nothin doing. Why's you got to make us do all the hard work, Clyde Bosco.

And of course by "us," I mean you guys. Get ruler-in'!

Nodal
07-16-2012, 12:43 AM
The X!! The X!!!

Kirin
07-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Heck, you don't even have to do any line drawin'. There aren't any black-handled anchors pointing at the O. X it is.

Red Silvers
07-16-2012, 06:49 PM
But wait! Did we lose our coins? Or do we just not remember getting them?

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-17-2012, 12:36 AM
So is this running by democracy, or first-come, first-serve?

Also: X.

And I'd have totally stopped for supplies. I mean, seriously, have none of you ever seen another piece of Mario fiction before? Those tool belts come in handy, and it's always a wrench or a plunger or something getting them out of jams.

Red Silvers
07-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Mega Man X

Beta Metroid
07-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Huh, so Bowser-shaped figureheads on the airships long pre-dates Galaxy. And its expression is hilarious.

I only recall reading one of these as a child, but it was one that essentially adapted Super Mario World, so it was fine by me. I don't remember it being so decked out with "ripped from the manuals" artwork, though.

X

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Huh, so Bowser-shaped figureheads on the airships long pre-dates Galaxy. And its expression is hilarious.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/LBDNytetrayn/Misc/Air_Assault.jpg

...yep.

I only recall reading one of these as a child, but it was one that essentially adapted Super Mario World, so it was fine by me. I don't remember it being so decked out with "ripped from the manuals" artwork, though.

X

I had the Luigi "Leapin' Lizards" one, but wanted the Super Mario World one so bad... still do, actually (I'd love to have all of these someday).

And yep, the art was mostly the bad quality version of manual stuff.

Mogri
07-25-2012, 05:37 PM
So... X, huh?

Loki
07-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Been busy at work, where I update this. Regularly scheduled programming to resume soon (I'm on my weekend).

TE-Ryan
07-26-2012, 11:10 AM
I owned this book as a child... and quickly ruined it's shit by solving all the puzzles with a marker. Oops.

Mogri
08-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Been busy at work, where I update this. Regularly scheduled programming to resume soon (I'm on my weekend).

I assume you're still busy, but even so, this thread deserves better than page two.

TE-Ryan
08-20-2012, 09:42 AM
So does anyone following this do the Photoshops? Can we do that? Or does that only work on Brickroad?

Loki
11-01-2012, 10:38 PM
So the Olympics happened and that was a crazy time at work and then some other stuff and then a huricane. Also reading is for nerds!!!

Let's read some more.

You guys picked X, which you may recall but probablly won't since so many years have passed since this thread was last updated, this means Mario isn't a total dope when it comes to climbing an airship.

Mario whirls the anchor over his head a few times. Then he lets it go. It soars up to the deck of the Doom Ship and hooks neatly into one of the wooden floorboards.

"Yeee-ha!" hollers Mario, as he swings up the rope. But when he lands feet first on the deck, he finds more than he expected.

Roy is there, scraping his dirty toenails against the ship's warped floorboards. And behind Roy, a tall, skinny plumber in green overalls is gagged and tied to the main mast. It's Luigi!

"Roy, it's illegal to steal people's brothers," says Mario. "Give Luigi back now, and I promise I'll only beat you to a pulp."

"Oh yeah? You and what army?" cries Roy. He stomps forward.

"Don't worry, I'll bring you flowers when you're in the hospital," Mario goes on.

"Oh, yeah?" The furious turtle's huge, yellow teeth are now inches from Mario's face. He swings his paw. Mario ducks.

"You missed," Mario says. "Would you like to try again, or do you want to surrender now?"

"Rrooaarr!" Roy hurls himself at Mario.

Play this game to find out what happens when Roy charges at Mario:

Choose one of the three shapes in the space above the word "START."

Read the number in the shape you chose and move that many spaces along the track. Repeat this when you reach a new space. Keep the same shape every time.

If you stop on a space where your shape has an X in it, follow the arrow and read the message it points to. The message will tell you where to turn next.

http://i.imgur.com/hVQwJ.jpg

If you land on the [eight-armed shape], turn to page 8.
If you land on the [six-armed shape], turn to page 44.

Dang another game already? What is with this book? Alright you Pro Players, do we go with heart, star, or severed toad head?

THIS IS JUST AS EXCITING AS A VIDEO GAME

LBD_Nytetrayn
11-02-2012, 12:10 AM
I went with the star.

Also: Damn, Mario's talkin' some smack.

Nodal
11-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Star!!!

Kirin
11-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Yes, obviously star is superior. And it leads to the six-armed asterisk.
(And man, there's a lot of tiles/numbers in that game that are completely irrelevant because you can never reach them if you're following the rules.)

Mogri
11-02-2012, 09:07 AM
I went with the power of Heart and got the eight-legged dude.

Loki
11-02-2012, 10:53 PM
You chuckleheads voted for the six-pointed shape (it's called a Star of David you insensitive pricks) and it's off to page 44.

"Rrroaarr!" Roy Koopa bellows, charging toward Mario in a blind rage.

Mario calmly steps aside and watches as the awful turtle hurls himself through the huard rail and over the side of the ship. "Oh, nooo..." Roy wails. He's heading straight for a patch of snapping black Muncher plants!

"I always knew Roy was going to be a dropout," Mario remarks.

http://i.imgur.com/l1DLn.gif

He picks up some shiny coins that are scattered on the planks of the Doom Ship. "This is good," he says. "Now I'll be able to but the King that gold-plated mustache brush he wanted for his birthday."

"Mmph!" says Luigi, still tied to the mast behind the steering wheel.

Mario unties his brother, who begins to run frantically about the deck.

"Hurry, hurry!" he shouts. "We've got to stop the Koopas while we still have time!"

"Hold on a minute," says Mario. "Would you mind telling me how you got here in the first place?"

"The Koopas grabbed me while I was sleeping," explains Luigi. "They tied me up and left a phony me in my place. I don't know how they're doing it, Mario, but the Koopas are making copies of everybody!" He begins to climb over the rail of the Doom Ship. "I've got to get home and stop that impostor," he calls. "The universe isn't big enough for two Luigis. Are you coming?"

Decode this secret message to get a clue to help decide what Mario should do.

http://i.imgur.com/hyamd.jpg

*** Mario collects 11 coins. ***
If you think Mario should go home with Luigi, turn to page 42.
If you think he should stay behind and ride with the Doom Ship, turn to page 111.

Another stupid game! That's the third in a row. What does this stupid message say? What should stupid Mario do? Help me I don't know for I am stupid.

http://i.imgur.com/qVSZX.jpg

Torzelbaum
11-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Secret message decoded:
Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

Ha ha... No. I'm just messing with all of you.

Step 1: aponoktruofotdedaehusipinhseht
Step 2: apooktrofotdedaehsipihseht
Step 3: theshipisheadedtofortkoopa
The ship is headed to Fort Koopa!

LBD_Nytetrayn
11-03-2012, 02:21 AM
I believe that going where the ship is headed would be the most beneficial course of action.

Octopus Prime
11-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Your not ready yet! Leave the ship and grind on Goombas!

Nodal
11-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Your not ready yet! Leave the ship and grind on Goombas!

Mogri
11-03-2012, 12:47 PM
If Mario goes home, he might be able to spend those coins on something useful. Go go Mario!

Loki
11-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Chosing to ignore the secret message Mario ops to pall around with his loser brother.

"Let's do it," says Mario, as he spins the great wooden steering wheel. He pilots the Doom Ship back to the entrance of the Mushroom Kingdom. There, the two plumbers climb down from the ship and crawl into the main pipe. Within minutes, they are back at their plumbing shop in Brooklyn.

"Oh Mister Impostor, come out, come out wherever you are," sings Mario, sauntering into the workshop.

Luigi's evil twin pokes his head around the corner to find out what's going on. By the time the slow-witted duplicate decides to run, it's too late. Mario has blocked the door.

"Will all sensitive and delicate people please leave the auditorium at this time," announces Luigi. "The Super Mario Bros. are back in town."

Turn to page 49.

Wait, what? Since when do the Mario Bros just pummel the shit outta a guy?

There are a handful of creatures in the Mushroom Kingdom more powerful than either of the Super Mario Bros. But there are almost none who could defeat both of them at once-especially when they're in Brooklyn!

"I'd say we've got the home court advantage, little brother," says Mario, grabbing a plunger from a rack of plumbing tools.

"You are so right," says Luigi, rolling up his sleeves. "Let's make haste and waste this attractive but evil intruder."

The plumbers surround the phony Luigi. Mario bops him on the head with the plunger while Luigi delivers a Double-Tornado belly punch. Their opponent collapses.

Luigi runs to the kitchen and returns with a lukewarm pot of his top secret spaghetti sauce. He pours it over the unlucky impostor. "That should hold him for a while," he says, licking his fingers.

http://i.imgur.com/UJdml.jpg

But when the sauce hits the fake Luigi, he begins to melt! The brothers watch in astonishment as the impostor dissolves into a puddle of orange mush.

Mario hurries to the supply room. A moment later he comes back into the workshop with a magnifying glass. "Now, what have we here?" he muses as he inspects the soggy mess on the floor. "Tomato sauce... and something else. I can't tell what it is." He tucks the magnifying glass into one of his pockets. "This may come in handy later."

Mario turns to face Luigi. "You wait here in case there are any more messages from the palace. I'm heading there now." He bends to pick up some coins that the fake Luigi dropped during the battle. "I'll buy some comic books with these," he decides. "I hear there are some great new comics featuring two extremely brave and handsome plumbers from Brooklyn." Then he dives into the central pipe.

Mario's back in the Mushroom Kingdom.

*** Mario collects 9 coins, and he now has the magnifying glass. *** Turn to page 79.

http://i.imgur.com/ITNAr.gif

http://i.imgur.com/lNdGF.jpg

Mario decides he'd better talk to the princess before doing anything else. So he scampers up the path that leads to the palace.

Blah blah blah we've already read this twice. Mario sees the same guard a couple of times, the princes whines about something, there's two kings. However, this time...

Just then he notices that Toad, the royal mushroom retainer, is not around. "Where's Toad?" he asks.

"He went out to find a magnifying glass," answers Wooster. "He thought it might help us discover who the real king is."

"Great idea," says one of the two kings.

"I was just about to say that!" cries the other one.

"I wonder whether I have a magnifying glass with me," says Mario. He starts to check his pockets.

*** Check your notes to see what equipment Mario is carrying to decide what happens next. ***
If Mario has a magnifying glass, turn to page 64.
If Mario does not have a magnifying glass, turn to page 116.

Yes I wonder too. Better check my notes to see if we have one.

http://i.imgur.com/ITNAr.gif

By jove, a frying pan!

Magnifying glass in hand, Mario marches up to the throne. Finally, he thinks, a chance to find out what this trouble is all about.

"All right, everyone," he calls, holding up the glass. "Maybe I can straighten things out."

Wooster, the royal assistant, nudges one of the kings towards the plumber. Mario holds the glass in front of the royal nose. "Hmm" he says as he studies the king.

"What is it? What do you see?" asks Wooster impatiently.

"I see... a nose," announces Mario. He takes off his cap and scratches his head. Both kings shrug their shoulders.

"Great!" says Princess Toadstool. "Any more brilliant deductions, Mr. Detective?"

"Don't rush me," answers Mario. "Let me take a look at His Majesty Number Two."

Wooster leads the second king to Mario, who holds the glass up to the second regal nose. But when Mario sees it magnified, it doesn't look like a king's nose at all. It looks more like a sand dune. In fact, up close, no part of this monarch looks like a king. He's made entirely of sand!

"Aha! Here's your impostor," Mario says. "Take him away!"

"I told you I'm me," says the real king.

"I told you I'm me," shouts the impostor as the royal mushroom guards haul him away.

No one says anything as he's dragged from the room. The doors slam behind him. The real king gazes after his double sadly.

"Don't worry," says Wooster. "We have a special home for people who try to impersonate the royal family. He'll have fun." He runs one finger along an arm of the king's throne and inspects the dust buildup. "Of course, it isn't very tidy here," he adds.

"So, what should we do now?" asks Princess Toadstool. "We can't check every set of twins in the kingdom. New ones are showing up every minute."

"No, we've got to get to the root of this problem," Mario agrees, dropping the magnifying glass into his overalls pocket. "The impostor was made of sand, right?"

"Right," answers the princess.

"And where are there tons and tons of sand?" asks Mario.

"The Koopahari Desert," answers Wooster, shuddering. "Frightfully dusty place."

"And what else is in the Koopahari Desert?" continues Mario.

"Fort Koopa!" everyone shouts.

"I'm on my way," Mario declares. He bounces down the hall. "I'll have this double trouble taken care of in no time at all."

"Hooray!" the king shouts.

"Make it snappy," adds the princess.

"And please don't track sand into the palace when you come back," Wooster begs.

So all that just to go to the place we were going to go to anyways if we'd just stayed on the ship. However this path gives us something else.

Solve this puzzle to find out what could be waitng for Mario in the Koopahari Desert:

A puzzle! I hope you remembered your thinking caps.

Study this grid and then look at the list at the top of the next page.

For each entry on the list, match the numbers on the side with the letters along the top. Cross out the corresponding space.

The letters in the leftover boxes will spell out something Mario will find in the Koopahari Desert.

B2, A1, C3, E2, D5, B6, C1, E3, C4, D4, D2, C5, E1, A3, C2, E6

http://i.imgur.com/9hSGk.jpg

Turn to page 75.

Solving this puzzle doesn't affect the choice so I'ma just keep going.

As soon as Mario crosses into the Koopahari Desert, the red brick road ends abruptly. So do the grassy hills, the brooks, and everything else in the Mushroom Kingdom that's lush and colorful. An endless expanse of yellow sand stretches out before Mario. Dunes, crags, and rocky outcroppings dot the landscape. The only plants are a few withered cacti.

However, there's definitely no shortage of living things. "Just as I thought," Mario says, dodging a pair of masked Shyguys that waddle past. "The doubles problem is even worse here than at the palace. Enemies are everywhere, in sets of two, four, and even eight. I've got to put a stop to this quickly, or we'll be knee-deep in creeps!"

In the distance, Mario can see the faint outline of Fort Koopa. A winding road leading to it has been worn in the sand by thousands of feet. But a sign in the shape of a paw standing by the side of road reads "SHORTCUT TO FORT KOOPA - NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH." A black-nailed finger points to a rocky ravine just south of where Mario is standing.

"Hmmm," Mario muses. "Something tells me neither of these trails will be a picnic."

Solve this puzzle for a clue about what's ahead:

Luckily this one does so you dos gots two puzzles to solves this weeks.

Follow the path that leads from Mario to Fort Koopa. Read the letters as you go. They'll tell you something about the short cut through the ravine.

http://i.imgur.com/f6OwJ.jpg

If you think Mario should take the main road to Fort Koopa, turn to page 81.
If you think Mario should follow the shortcut into the ravine, turn to page 9.

So what will it be, jerks? Should Mario "do the shortcut?"

Mogri
11-04-2012, 08:04 AM
TWODIFFERENTSTOPYOUFOOL

Well, that settles it! You should just take the main road.

(Other puzzle: THEBOOMERANGBROTHERS. Most of these hints are not very helpful.)

Gerad
11-04-2012, 08:26 AM
I got TWODIFFERENTMONSTERSAREWAITINGTHEREFORMARIO.

Sounds intriguing. Let's take the shortcut.

Kirin
11-05-2012, 10:23 AM
But the Boomerang Brothers are two SAME monsters! One of these clues is lying! Just goes to show you can't trust puzzles.

Loki
11-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Okay this thread has been deadlocked for days now. Anyone want to break the tie?

Red Silvers
11-08-2012, 10:47 PM
shortcut.

Loki
11-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Thanks Silvers, the shortcut it is.

Mario decides to risk the shortcut and climbs down the ravine.

Zing! Something whizzes over his left shoulder. A blazing chain of fireballs with a small, alligator-like head rockets past him. The air around the plumber instantly gets a few degrees warmer.

"Firesnakes!" Mario shouts. He drops to the ground-just in time to avoid being scorches by a sizzling monster. He pops his head up and risks a quick look around. "If I can only make it to that bush over there, I'll be safe," he tells himself.

A Firesnake zooms over Mario's head and lights up the sky as it makes a sharp U-turn. Along the way, it brushes against the bush, which immediately bursts into flames.

"On second thought, maybe I'll try to reach that cluster of rocks up ahead," says Mario as he dodges the flying flamethrowers.

Solve this puzzle to find out what happens next!

Mario would like to avoid as many Firesnakes as possible! Draw a path from the plumber to the rocks. Then add up the number of Firesnakes he passes along the way. If Mario has the Super Mushroom, he has extra power to hop over the blazing monsters, so you can subtract three from your total score.

Alligator-like head? No time to ponder that now, there's a puzzle to solve!

http://i.imgur.com/xy4pB.jpg

No mushroom for us so we've got to hoof it like a jerk. How many "fire snakes" does "Mario" pass?

If Mario passes five or less snakes, turn to page 55.
If Mario passes six to ten snakes, turn to page 97.
If Mario passes eleven or more snakes, turn to page 110.

Gerad
11-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Nine snakes for me. As far as I can tell, five or fewer is impossible even with a Super Mushroom, so I hope page 55 is a grisly death or something.

Octopus Prime
11-09-2012, 07:58 AM
I like making things difficult for Mario, and I got 15.

Nodal
11-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Nine snakes!

Kirin
11-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Wit those options, Mario may as well take a scenic 10-snake path, since the result is the same anyway!

Mogri
11-09-2012, 11:02 AM
You know, you can just knock those things out with the raccoon tail.

Nine firesnakes.

Loki
11-20-2012, 03:49 AM
I see Octo is the only person in here with the meatballs (like pasta sauce get it?!) to cheat to win. :toastybert: Six to ten it is.

Chapter 47

Mario dives between two Firenakes, rolls across a patch of sand, and then leaps over a third fiery beast. Several more whiz after him. He ducks just in time.

"Eat my dust, you crispy critters!" he shouts. Before any more Firesnakes can reach him, he throws himself behind the cluster of rocks at the far side of the ravine.

Mario leans against a rock for a few minutes until he catches his breath. "Whew!" he gasps. That was hotter than Luigi's top secret spaghetti sauce."

(like gentialia get it?!?!)

Mario scouts along the ravine until at last he can see the walls of Fort Koopa. He jumps onto a stone and surveys the situation. "All I have to do is scale the fortress walls," he says. "No prob-"

Suddenly, something horrible flies directly at his head. It's a large black ball and chain-with fangs.

"Chain Chomp!" Mario yells. There's no time to duck. The thing's steel jaws close with a snap, only two inces from Mario's nose. Lucky for him, the monster is at the end of its leash. The heavy chain is bolted to a block set into the desert floor.

"I'm really having a ball now," mutters Mario. He wipes his forehead and wonders what to do next. Should he try to dash past the Chain Chomp and scale the fortress walls? Or should he head back to the road?

Solve this puzzle for help:

Oh god another one. If you couldn't tell from the sporadic update schedule, I'm not too enthused about this book. These puzzles really put a hamper on the pace, but at the same time they're kinda the whole point. Let's just hurry up and get through this and move onto a more interesting book. So, get crossin!

The blocks of bricks underneath the Chain Chomp follow a pattern. Study them carefully. Here's a hint: to find the truth, skip ahead and then step back.

Look at the four blocks below the drawing and try to guess which one should go next in the series.

Follow the directions after your choice to cross out some of the links in the Chain Chomp's chain. The letters in the remaining links will tell you what Mario should do next.

http://i.imgur.com/Qp5pa.jpg

Should Mario tangle with a Chain Chomp? Remember, this is before the invention of the spin jump.

gahitsu
11-20-2012, 03:58 AM
The third block is the next in sequence. KEEP GOING

Loki
11-20-2012, 04:07 AM
Gahitsu is a smart lass so I'm not even going to wait for the rest of you yokels to line up your alphabet blocks. Sally forth, Mario!

Mario decides to go for it. The Chain Chomp is the only thing between him and the fortress walls. He can't give up now.

Mario decides to play a dangerous game with the snapping monster. If he can make it mad enough, maybe it will get careless and Mario will get through. The plumber waves his arms at the Chain Chomp. "Hey, Baldy!" he yells.

Clack! The Chain Chomp snaps at Mario. Its jagged teeth miss him by almost a foot. It lunges again. Mario flattens himself against the ground, and the Chain Chomp whizzes by.

Now it's really mad! When it rears and growls, Mario ducks under its nose and races for the wall.

"And awa-a-a-y we go!" he yells, as the Chain Chomp swings in for one last bite.

Oh man what will happen next!?

Solve this puzzle to find out what happens next:

:smirk: This is probably the hardest puzzle in the book because it doesn't make any god damn sense.

http://i.imgur.com/ZUQym.jpg

Which route should Mario take to reach the top of the wall safely? Look carefully at the length of each Chain Chomp's chain.

If you think Mario should take route A, turn to page 56.
If you think Mario should take route B, turn to page 113.

Not so smart now are you Gahitsu? (Gahitsu, please write a story about a sexy Chain Chomp chain)

gahitsu
11-20-2012, 04:19 AM
I took a piece of paper and measured it (awkwardly) out on my screen, and unless they're correcting for perspective or something, and I don't think they, both sides has at least one chomper that will get you. However, as far as I can tell, side A has only one chomper that can reach Mario (the one directly above him), while side B has several, so let's go with the first one.

I'm not like 100% on this, though, my measuring method is not exactly precise. I just made some ticks on the edge of a paper and swiveled it around at the kinks in the chain. lolkinks

(Gahitsu, please write a story about a sexy Chain Chomp chain)

ehehehehe >:3

Loki
11-20-2012, 05:00 AM
That rational is as good as any. If you choose path B you get bit and go back to the ravine. I honestly don't know what they're going for here, or even what's up with the picture. It looks especially shoddy. I don't have a copy of the original book so I can't compare but the copy paste here is circumspect. Did the person who scanned the book try to recreate the original? Now there's a puzzle you can sink your teeth into. Anyway,

Snap! The Chain Chomp sinks its teeth into the tip of Mario's shoe. It rips away a small piece of leather, but Mario reaches the top of the wall and climbs to safety. He mops his forehead. Then he sits down and pull off his shredded shoe.

"One, two, three, four, five... everybody's still here," says Mario, counting the toes on his bare foot.

"Hraaar," growls the Chain Chomp as it settles down to munch on the tasty piece of shoe leather.

Mario walks along the top of the wall until he reaches the front of the fortress. On his way, he reaches up and knocks down a fistful of coins from an overhead ledge. Then he leaps onto a catwalk and crawls past the guard tower and into an open window.

"This must be Fort Koopa, all right," Mario says. He makes a face. "The windows are filthy."

He walks slowly down the hall, peering into room after room, but finding nothing. Other than the occassional pitter-patter of cockroach feet, the entire wing of the building is silent. The rooms contain only enormous piles of dust.

"I guess no one's home," Mario says to himself as he rounds the next corner. Then he freezes in his tracks.

He's standing in the throne room of King Bowser Koopa. The walls are covered with several hundred portraits of the evil turtle king. It's easy for Mario to tell that they're pictures of Bowser, because the real Bowser is standing there in person.

Also Mario has never seen Boswer before ever apparently.

Mario has no time to back out of the room. Two massive green arms stretch out menacingly above his head. Bowser's mouth widens into a snaggletoothed grin.

"Uh-oh," whispers Mario.

*** Mario collects 12 coins. ***
Turn to page 12.

http://i.imgur.com/m9TvI.jpg

Bowser steps forward, blocking the doorway. "I've been waiting for your brother," he snarls. "I heard Luigi was captured and I was looking forward to chewing him into little pieces. He never showed up, but you'll do just fine." The giant turtle moves closer to Mario. "Any last requests?"

"Just one, your slime-ness," says Mario bravely.

http://i.imgur.com/NKUlD.gif

"I want to know where all these twins are coming from."

Bowser cackles, breathing out a cloud of greenish smoke. "It's all happening right here in this fortress," he crows. "My kid Iggy-the brainy one- put together a machine that makes instant copies of anything it sees. That includes turtles, mushrooms, chickens... and even nosey plumbers!

"Anything the machine creates is under Koopa control," Bowser continues, gloating. He paces back and forth. "The way I'll see it, I'll be running most of the people in the Mushroom Kingdom by next Tuesday."

Mario inches toward the door. Suddenly Bowser notices what Mario is doing. He scambles to block the way.

"As I was saying," he growls. "On Tuesday, I'll call a vote and have myself elected Grand Imperial Boss. Then you'll see some changes! I'll get rid of that crummy king and his fungus friends." He blurts out a sour green laugh. "I may keep copies of you and Luigi around, though, just for laughs."

Mario looks around the room for another way out, but with no luck. "Interesting. So where do you keep this machine?" he asks.

"I'm not telling you!" shouts Bowser. "Besides, it wouldn't help you. Your time is up. I'm going to lock you in a room with sixty-four red Koopa Troopas-hah, hah, hah!"

Sounds like GnaM's perfect game.

Bowser reaches out a scaly fist to grab Mario. The agile plumber jumps back. Bowser swings a second time, but Mario dodges again. Then Bowser charges. Mario leaps over the turtle king's head and races out the door,

"I'll get you, plumber!" Bowser yells, lumbering after him.

Mario dashes down the hall, searching frantically for clues. "That machine is here somewhere," he pants. "But where?"

Ahead of him, a huge marble staircase sweeps up to the second floor of Fort Koopa. A sign on the wall seems to have directions on it-but it's written in Koopanese!

"Swell," Mario mutters. "I left my Koopanese dictionary at home."

His only other choice is to head for the end of the hall. The squishing sound of Bowser's feet grows louder behind him. Bowser is gaining! Which way should Mario go?

Decode this Koopanese message to see which way Mario should go.

Mario doesn't have a clue-but you do. Use the chart below to learn the letters of the Koopabet.

http://i.imgur.com/TpQWQ.jpg

If you think Mario should go down the hall to look for the machine, turn to page 61.
If you think Mario should look for the machine upstairs, turn to page 18.

Up or down, me lovlies?

Octopus Prime
11-20-2012, 06:22 AM
Bowser is a notorious liar, and the sign says to not go downstairs.

So go down stairs.

Gerad
11-20-2012, 06:43 AM
A room with sixty-four red Koopa Troopas sounds like a good way to fill up the ol' life counter.

Go down the hall.

Loki
11-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Bowser is a notorious liar, and the sign says to not go downstairs.

So go down stairs.

I've never been one to ignore a sign, but I'm not a dangerous escaped sexual deviant psychopath like you. Down we go!

Mario decides the long, dingy hallway is the way to go. He races down to the end and darts around a corner. "I need someone who'll lead me to that machine," he says to himself.

Just then, Iggy Koopa waddles past. Bowser's homely, purple-haired son doesn't notice Mario, and continues on his way.

"That's what I call service," murmers Mario. He falls into step behind Iggy.

They wind through the filthy halls of Fort Koopa, past battle trophies, statues, paintings of ancient Koopa rulers, and bags of garbage that no one has bothered to throw out for centuries. The stench is incredible. But gradually Mario begins to relax. Clearly, Iggy has no idea that he's being followed.

They plod onward, past Bowser's prized rotten vegetable collection. When Iggy turns the next corner, Mario bumps into a statue of Genghis Koopa. It wobbles for a few moments that seem like hours. Mario holds his breath. Will it fall? Won't it?

Solve this puzzle to find out if the statue falls.

Haha, I'm just kidding. That would be stupid.

It falls. With a crash, it hits the floor and shatters into a thousand pieces.

"Eeep!" Iggy cries, as he whirls and spots Mario.

"Eeep," squeaks a mouse that used to live inside the statue. The mouse scurries down the hall and out of sight.

It's the little details that make this, you know?

Never one to face a fair fight, Iggy dashes through a doorway by a sign that says "BASEMENT-IN CASE OF FLOOD, DO NOT ENTER."

"Not so fast, Ig!" Mario calls. He races after Iggy, down a flight of dimly lit stairs.

Solve this puzzle to find out where Mario is headed:

Here's the stupid puzzle for this entry.

http://i.imgur.com/LUoN7.jpg

Mario steps on the first step-the one with a "Q" on it. Cross it out.

Decide if Mario should touch every other step, every third step, or every fourth step. Cross out the letters on the steps that Mario touches.

If you got the pattern right, a message will appear. The leftover letters spell where Mario is going.

Turn to page 47.

How stupid is it? It doesn't even decide anything. It just some pointless foreshadowing. I'm not even going to waste your time it says the hall of mirrors let's just go to the hall of mirrors.

Mario rushes headlong down one, then another, then another flight of stairs. He hears Iggy squishing ahead of him the whole way down. But when he finally reaches the bottom, Iggy is nowhere in sight. The place is silent.

Then, out of the corner of his eye, Mario sees someone move.

"Aha!" he shouts, as he spins around. But instead of Iggy, Mario finds himself face-to-face with a handsome plumber in red overalls.

His first thought is, "This doubles thing has gone too far." Then suddenly, he realizes he's looking at his reflection in a mirror. "Gee," he says. "I need a shave."

As he looks away from the familiar figure, he spots a glass door next to the mirror. Through it he can see a long glass hall lined with rows and rows of mirrors. He opens the door and enters. Behind him, the door swings shut with an ominous click.

Mario shrugs. "Oh well, I wasn't planning to turn back anyway," he says. He walks down the hall into the maze of mirrors.

Turn to page 108.

Holy shit a hall of mirrors good thing I knew this was coming!

http://i.imgur.com/ejhwK.jpg

Mario walks on, glancing left and right at his reflection. Distracted by the presence of so many good-looking plumbers, he slams face-first into a wall of glass.

"Ouch," he mutters, rubbing his nose. "I wish Luigi were here. Then I could make him lead the way."

Hahaha. I love that Luigi has been the butt monkey since at least 1991.

The mirrored path bends to the left. Winking at the plumber on his right, he turns left and walks ahead for a few feet. Again, he runs headlong into a clear glass wall. "Whoever cleans this glass can do my shop windows anytime," he says to himself.

Using his head as a compass, Mario moves through the maze for what seems like hours, but all he gets for his trouble is a colossal headache. At last he comes to a branch in the maze with two ways to go-left or right. The problem is, he isn't sure he hasn't been this way before.

"All right," he says. "I've had enough. There must be some way out of this place."

http://i.imgur.com/4kYr3.jpg

If Mario has the hammer, turn to page 73.
If you think Mario should go right, turn to page 60.
If you think Mario should go left, turn to page 16.

This ain't no Donkey Kong! Hammers are for chumps. And so we finally get a choice that doesn't depend on first-grade problem solving. Alas, it is the worst possible choice in a CYOA: the dreaded T-Intersection. If CYOAs were first person shooters T-Intersections would be exploding barrels. So should we blindly go left or blindly go right? Does it even matter?

gahitsu
11-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Dungeons and Dragons has taught me that you always go left. And we are in a dungeon and Bowser's dragon-esque enough, and who are we to argue with tradition?

Kirin
11-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Agreed. Left-hand rule FTW.

Loki
11-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Left it is.

"Left," Mario says. He turns left and walks into another glass wall. "Ow," he grumbles, and rubs his bruised nose. He feels his way along until he reaches another turning point.

"You've got to be kidding," he groans. "I think this is where I came in."

Suddenly he hears something. The sound of machinery hums in the background, but Mario can't tell where the sound is coming from. However, there are only two paths.

"Hey," says Mario, "I bet one of these paths will lead me right to Iggy Koopa...."

Solve this puzzle to help decide where Mario should go next:

I do admit, the image of Mario walking around smacking his dumb face into reflections of himself is an amusing one. There may be hope for this book yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/dt7.jpg

Study the picture of Mario, then study all of his reflections below. If you look carefully, you'll notice that some of them are slightly different.

Cross out all the ones that don't match the Mario pictured at the top. The letters underneath the drawings spell out a message that tells you what Mario should do next.

If you think Mario should go left, turn to page 43.
If you think Mario should go right, turn to page 60.

I was wondering when we'd get a spot the differences puzzle. Left or right?

LEFT OR RIGHT!?!?!

Mogri
11-20-2012, 02:10 PM
The letters are there, but you would need to do some crazy kind of ocular contortion to get "right" out of this puzzle.

Loki
11-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Left it is then. Shame, because going right makes you flip a coin to see if you should go right or left.

"Let's try this way." Mario turns left, going down a series of mirrored halls. The machine noises grow louder. At last, he turns a corner and steps into a plain cement hall.

"I'm free!" he cries. "But I'll miss those guys in the mirror. They were so good looking!"

Mario marches down the hall and pushes open a set of green doors. He steps into a weird laboratory. On the walls are huge spools of wire. Lightbulbs of every color and size flash on control panels. The floor is strewn with test tubes, gears, and-of course-bags of old garbage. Facing Mario is Iggy Koopa.

"Hmm," says Iggy. "I didn't think you'd get through my maze. But since you're here, I'd like you to meet my new creation." He presses a button on a remote control device and a giant machine rolls into the room.

Turn to page 36.

I don't know how I feel about the Koopa Clan getting characterized as living in a trash dump. They're bad but does that mean they have to live in squaller?

"This is my Giant Likeness Outputting Machine," Iggy says. He giggles. "I call it GLOM for short. It took months to build, but all the work was worth it. GLOM will finish you off and then get back to business-taking over the Mushroom Kingdom.

As Iggy twitters on, Mario has time to examine the machine. GLOM is truly frightening to look at, even for Mario, who has seen some pretty scary things inside drain pipes.

i.e. shit.

More than ten feet tall, GLOM is covered with giant electronic eyeballs and hundreds of tiny television sets, each displaying a different 1960's monster movie. It crawls across the floor on a combination of wheels, feet, and tank treads that leave a slime trail behind them. GLOM stops for a moment and spits a pair of Koopa Troopas out of a funnel at its top. Then it rolls next to Iggy and comes to a halt.

Gotta admit, that does sound pretty awesome. More doomsday machines need to be showing cheesy monster movies just cause.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" asks the turtle prince. He gestures to a bank of TV screens on one of the walls. "I've hidden cameras all over the Mushroom Kingdom and beyond," he explains. "With the information they send back, GLOM can scoop up sand from our yard and make it into a perfect double of anyone. That;s how I copied the king. I would have gotten the princess, Toad and Wooster too, if that finicky fungus hadn't ruined my plan by watering one of my cameras."

On one of the flickering screens, Mario sees Luigi bouncing cheerfully around their shop at home, tinkering with a stopped-up sink.

Iggy notices Luigi, too. "Hey!" the turtle shouts, stamping his lumpy green foot. "I put a double in your brother's place, but it can't be that guy. He's singing! Doubles don't sing. That's the real thing. Something went wrong."

Mario laughs. "It looks like Luigi clobbered your clone."

"Well, I've still got you. GLOM! Get the plumber," Iggy shouts, pointing at Mario.

The machine slowly grinds toward Mario. Suddenly it reaches out one of its mechanical arms and tries to grab him. But Mario is too quick to be caught that way. He ducks as the metal claw swings over his head. He dashes behind GLOM and waits for it to turn around.

The machine turns. Mario edges backward, trying to buy time and avoid sure destruction. He is so distracted by the machine that he loses track of Iggy. The sneaky turtle sticks out his foot and trips Mario. Our hero stumbles into a corner and falls down, hitting his head yet again.

GLOM closes in. "Crush him!" Iggy yells.

Mario scrambles to his feet, but he's trapped.

"I guess this is it," he mutters. He looks around the lab. To his left is Iggy, rubbing his wart-covered hands and cackling with glee. To his right, Mario can see the green doors that lead back into the maze of mirrors. Straight ahead, GLOM crawls steadily toward him.

Solve this puzzle for a hint:

Please put GLOM in next smash bros nintendo k tnx.

http://i.imgur.com/eUN85.jpg

Draw a straight line from Iggy to GLOM.
Draw a straight line from Iggy to the exit.
Draw a straight line from the exit to Glom.
Draw a straight line from Mario to the exit.
Study the picture. The leftover letters spell out some advice for Mario.

If you think Mario should go after Iggy Koopa, turn to page 92.
If you think Mario should attack GLOM, turn to page 6.
If you think Mario should run away, turn to page 22.

This is it! The final battle! What badges should Mario equip?

Gerad
11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Runaway pay badge.

Then run away.

Octopus Prime
11-20-2012, 03:12 PM
A True Mario Brother never runs from danger. A True Mario Brother faces his worst fears head on and perseveres.

Go, Mario. Face down GLOM.

Loki
11-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Sorry Octo, Gerad wants to be a coward and he posted first.

Run away to win. Mario is a hero.

Mario slips between Iggy and GLOM and runs to the other side of the room. He grabs test tubes, books, chairs-anything he can find-and hurls them at the slowly advancing machine. None of it does any damage.

GLOM backs Mario up against the green double doors that lead back to the hall of mirrors. "Give it up, Mario. You're finished!" calls Iggy Koopa.

Desperately, Mario dives through the doors and tried to hold them shut. "Can't... hold... them... much... longer," he grunts as GLOM slowly forces the doors open.

Then, a smile forms on Mario's lips. He lets go of the doors and stands to one side.

"We're open. Please come in!" he calls, as GLOM pushes its way into the corridor.

The giant machine rolls into the mirrored hallway and begins to circle in search of Mario. As it turns, it catches a glimpse of its own bizarre reflection in one of the mirrors.

It stops.

Slowly, the screens and light bulbs that pepper the sides of the hideous machine begin to flash, and a high-pitched whine fills the air. There's a bright flash. When the smoke clears, Mario is pleased to see that GLOM has created an exact duplicate of itself!

The two machines begin to examine each other, sniffing each other's TV screens and buttons. A moment later, there's another small explosion. This time, when the dust settles, there are four duplicating machines.

Mario crouches behind one of the double doors and watches as the number of GLOMs goes from 128, to 256, to 512. The machines have long since crowded out of the hallway. Now they fill the lab from wall to wall.

"Stop! Wait! You're ruining everything!" Iggy shrieks as the four-thousandth GLOM is coughed into existence.

When there are about ten thousand of them, some of the machines begin to explode.

"Time to make like a headache and start splitting!" says Mario, picking his way through the channels of broken mirror frames. By the time he reaches the stairs, huge clusters of duplicating machines are starting to self-destruct. He races down the hallway and dives out the first open window he finds. He rolls to the bottom of the hill as Fort Koopa crumbles in an explosion of smoke, lightning and strange machine parts.

Later, when the dust begins to settle, Mario thinks he sees three large, rounded shapes scurry from thr wreckage and slither away, but he can't be certain.

I don't know if they considered running away the win-condition to be a good "twist" or if this is actually legitimately clever. I think if you didn't have the puzzle to help you out and had to piece together that leading GLOM into the mirror maze would be a good thing on your own it would have worked. Then again, that might have been asking too much of the book's target demographic.

Mario wanders through the wreckage of the once-mighty fortress, picking up great piles of coins scattered among the ruins. "Tee-rrific," he says. "Now I can buy the princess that stainless stell surfboard she's been asking for."

When there are no more coins to be found, Mario brushes the dust from his overalls and bounces off to the palace. As he travels through the Mushroom Kingdom, he can tell that there are already fewer doubles than there were a few hours ago. A light breeze is blowing, and a great many piles of sand are scattered about the countryside.

Finally Mario reaches the palace. He makes his way up to the stairs and is about to enter through the royal double doors when he notices the time on his waterproof plumber's wristwatch.

"What?!" I've only been out of bed for fifteen minutes?" he asks in disbelief. Then he realizes that he's been awake for more than twenty-four hours.

"I'll tell the princess all about my adventure... tomorrow!" he says. He stumples away from the palace to the kingdom's entrance, climbs the central pipe, and drags himself home. Finally he collapses into his favorite armchair for a three-day nap.

*** Mario collects 200 Coins. ***
You win!
The kingdom has been saved!
GAME OVER!

http://i.imgur.com/1GT9h.jpg

Hooray! Now to draw two hundred coins.

http://i.imgur.com/MyVfq.jpg

Ahahahaha no. Drawing those ones in Paint was a pain in the ass as it is. Let's tally them up!

*chingchingchingching* 234!

http://i.imgur.com/PqNnA.jpg

And then the score sheet tells us to count each coin as 10 points, which brings us too 2340! Which is hundreds more than the score sheet accounts for.

Guys I don't think this book was designed very well.

Loki
11-20-2012, 03:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/lxpCF.jpg

Welp. There you have it. Sorry this one was so stupid guys. I guess nostalgia can't save everything. I promise the next thread will be fun and interesting.

Speaking of which, what shall the next one be? I'm cutting Zelda out of the choice because fuck doing another kiddy book stupid puzzles baby times.

Should we read about "Not" Star Trek, giant robots punching dinosaurs, or an actual good book that's really awesome and I'm super excited about?

kaisel
11-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Go for the actual good book that you're excited about.

Octopus Prime
11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
giant robots punching dinosaurs

How can you you even say its a choice when that's one of the options.

Nodal
11-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Giant dinobots punching Mario.

Mogri
11-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Loki, you heartless, hollow shell of a man

How can you not love this book

Loki
11-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Solve this puzzle to find out!

Gerad
11-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Go for the actual good book.

I'm sorry for ruining all the fun guys! I thought attacking GLOM would be the winning choice (it just said not to attack Iggy!)

Loki
11-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Well that ties it up two-two. Somebody break the tie.

Edit: Nevermind. It was Robot/Dinos last night when I went to bed and I made preps for it. We're going with that one.

Octopus Prime
11-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Well that ties it up two-two. Somebody break the tie.

Edit: Nevermind. It was Robot/Dinos last night when I went to bed and I made preps for it. We're going with that one.

Yahooooooo

Falselogic
11-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Oh good. I was just coming in here to vote for Robots and Dinos.

But it appears Loki and I are psychically linked so...

Carry on!

Mogri
11-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Go for the actual good book.

I'm sorry for ruining all the fun guys! I thought attacking GLOM would be the winning choice (it just said not to attack Iggy!)

I'm not entirely sure, but I think attacking GLOM is also a potential winning choice. Is it as entertaining as causing the end of the world via a grey goo scenario (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo)? Probably not!

Kirin
11-21-2012, 09:31 AM
I was just about to bring that up. I mean, I suppose since it's only designed to work with one material, they'd stop when the entire desert had been converted, but still...

Mogri
11-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Nature finds a way.

Loki
11-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Nope, attacking GLOM is a dead end. The only way to win is to run away.

LBD_Nytetrayn
11-29-2012, 07:21 AM
I don't know how I feel about the Koopa Clan getting characterized as living in a trash dump. They're bad but does that mean they have to live in squaller?

Relevant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb5IA544dZ4)... and maybe a little disturbing.

Octopus Prime
11-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Relevant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb5IA544dZ4)... and maybe a little disturbing.

Wait, so... Bowers garbage-disposal leads directly to the sky over Peaches castle?

LBD_Nytetrayn
11-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Apparently!