PDA

View Full Version : A shortcut through Subspace, Talking about Scott Pilgrim

SpoonyBardOL
08-01-2012, 05:26 AM
"But Spoony, there's already a thread about Scott Pilgrim in the moving pictures subforum!"

Yes I know, strawman I just made up, but that's mostly about the movie with comic-talk on the side since Vol 6 was approaching at around the same time. Now that we have a forum dedicated to readin'-style media I felt the Scott Pilgrim comics deserved their own thread. Besides, it's been a long time since that thread had a post, so it's not like I'm interrupting a recent conversation on the comics to shift discussion here.

Also this is coming out on August 8th. (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1620100002/ref=pe_184490_25123030_nrn_lm) A hardcover, color edition of Precious Little Life. I think volume 2 is slated for sometime in November.

I dunno about you guys, but I'm sorely tempted to double dip.

MCBanjoMike
08-01-2012, 08:21 AM
I was going to complain about this new version coming too quickly after the original, but I have to admit that it does look pretty good (as opposed to the color version of Bone, which I find significantly less attractive than the B&W original because I don't like the coloring). Still, I don't think I'm ready to buy the whole series of books again so soon, even if they do look pretty nice.

New version aside, Scott Pilgrim is a fantastic series of comedy graphic novels. I've always felt like people who got really invested into the story were kind of missing the point, all of the characters and situations are too ridiculous to really take to heart. But man, is it ever funny. I also like how so much of the humor stems from the way O'Malley plays on the comic book format, like the text boxes that accompany each character's introduction. And of course, the whole "how to read this comic book" page is a goddamn classic.

waterpot
08-01-2012, 08:37 AM
The color pages in the 4th book were great , I hope the color book surpass those pages

Patrick
08-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Whelp, I don't think I've read these books since the movie came out. Sounds like it's time for a re-read. Impressions and comments to follow.

Falselogic
08-01-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm selling my collection of Scott Pilgrim if anyone is interested!

TE-Ryan
08-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Awww dammit. I would love to have full-colour hardcover editions of Scott Pilgrim! Alas, I fear that such luxuries are not going to be in the ol' budget anytime soon. Here's hoping that once all six are redone they sell 'em all together in a cool box set.

Karzac
08-01-2012, 09:51 AM
I've been meaning to buy new copies of the books, since most of mine have gone missing and those colour editions look mighty fine.

I love, love, love Scott Pilgrim, but for a different reason than most people. Sure, it's hilarious and the video game references are cool, but it's as a love letter to Toronto that it resonates with me most.

McClain
08-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Assuming that these new editions have some bonus content and they get collected, I'll probably eventually buy the nice boxed set at the end. I just bought the original box after the movie, so I don't really need to re-read any time soon.

Hey, so for someone who really liked Scott Pilgrim but isn't a huge comic/manga reader, make me a recommendation.

Guy
08-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol, King City by Brandon Graham, Wonton Soup by James Stokoe

Patrick
08-01-2012, 01:35 PM
The closest thing I can think of to Scott Pilgrim is Scary-Go-Round/Bad Machinery (http://scarygoround.com/ar.php) by John Allison. If you just want a generally good comic, check out Bone (http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Complete-Cartoon-Epic-Volume/dp/188896314X).

Mightyblue
08-01-2012, 01:48 PM
I believe it's online scans only (since this is a French comic), but Freaks Squeele is pretty good too, and fits in that same general category.

teg
08-01-2012, 05:41 PM
If you like the serious parts of the books, Lost at Sea and Solanin; if you like the sillier parts, King City and Sharknife.

And now for the bit where I uncharacteristically start shit.

I have a very love/hate relationship with Scott Pilgrim. I loved the books when I was in high school, but I've been retroactively soured on them as I entered and ended my own relationships, grew more mature and kept re-reading them through college and beyond.

When the books are being goofy and funny stories about people being together, either exploring friends or relationships, they're just pure fun. But when they jump into "Bryan Lee O'Malley Would Like You To Know What Bands He Likes" mode, they become this insufferable shrill portrait of a really shallow and perplexing way to live your life.

Just for an example of what I mean, look at Envy Adams entire character arc. When Scott first knew her, she lived the same pathetic lifestyle that Scott and all of his shitcake friends do: she's content to just kind of meander through life and surround herself with indie music albums and anime merchandise. When she abandons her old lifestyle and, ultimately, Scott himself, she opens herself up to be far more sociable and goes on to do something incredibly creative and fulfilling with her life. I feel that I can say without attempting to apply objective values to a person's social life that she's moved on to something more fulfilling that makes her happier in the long run. When their paths do cross again, she isn't pleasant to Scott, but she's at least somewhat hospitable to him. And he, in turn, immediately assumes that leaving his dinky little unambitious way of life behind has turned her evil and immiediately destroys both her boyfriend and her band in retaliation. She'll recover, yes, but Scott doesn't really seem to learn anything from the experience, and it feels like the reader isn't meant to learn anything either. It actually works better in the movie, where her character is just a huge bitch with no emotional core whatsoever.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that the coming-of-age story inside Scott Pilgrim is the one where it gradually dawns on the reader that Scott is actually an asshole.

teg
08-01-2012, 05:46 PM
and of course, the whole "how to read this comic book" page is a goddamn classic.

what do you think you're doing

who do you think you are

your mother and i are very disappointed in you

Egarwaen
08-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Oh, that hardcover color version isn't out yet? 'Cause I have a copy. :smirk:

Does the color art substantially improve on the original B&W stuff?

Also, between this thread and the game, which I've finally played, I need to go and read the comics again. DAMN YOU ALL. Not really you're actually all pretty cool. Except for Wallace Wells.

Seven
08-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I've never read Scott Pilgrim (or seen the movie), but my friend is a fan and has been telling me to read them for quite a while.

With these new hardcover versions coming out would you guys recommend picking up this series?

Karzac
08-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Are you asking if you should pick up the hardcovers, or just read the series in general? If it's the former, I'm not sure, but if it's the later, yes yes yes yes!

Seven
08-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Are you asking if you should pick up the hardcovers, or just read the series in general? If it's the former, I'm not sure, but if it's the later, yes yes yes yes!

It's the latter, I've never read the series and my friend always brings it up whenever I ask for comic recommendations from him or anyone else.

Guy
08-02-2012, 01:32 AM
When their paths do cross again, she isn't pleasant to Scott, but she's at least somewhat hospitable to him. And he, in turn, immediately assumes that leaving his dinky little unambitious way of life behind has turned her evil and immiediately destroys both her boyfriend and her band in retaliation. She'll recover, yes, but Scott doesn't really seem to learn anything from the experience, and it feels like the reader isn't meant to learn anything either.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that the coming-of-age story inside Scott Pilgrim is the one where it gradually dawns on the reader that Scott is actually an asshole.

You read the last volume, right?

madhair60
08-02-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm sceptical that Scott Pilgrim really needs colour. The extremely clean b/w art is a huge part of the book's identity, to me. I probably won't buy it anytime soon, but I'll certainly give it a look.

Patrick
08-02-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm not a big proponent of coloring in B&W comics either, but this collector's edition (http://www.onipress.com/blog/?p=3410) looks amazing.

waterpot
08-03-2012, 12:01 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=13179
The Cbr uploaded a preview
http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/cce0b87i13179/prv13179_pg9.jpg

Adam
08-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Bueno.

McClain
08-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I really like the color palette they went with.

teg
08-03-2012, 07:27 PM
You read the last volume, right?

Yes, and it's one of the few times in any medium when I've wished that the point was made more obvious to the audience. Mostly because the books spend so much time hammering it into our skulls how cool and trendy everyone is.

I wasn't impressed with the colouring job at first. Did they change it between the earliest previews and now? Because it looks much less washed-out and dull than I remember. I was worried that it was going to turn out like the Bone books and have colours that don't reflect the tone at all.

tungwene
08-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Hey, so for someone who really liked Scott Pilgrim but isn't a huge comic/manga reader, make me a recommendation.Love Roma. Huge stylistic influence on Scott Pilgrim, has a similar style of zany humor, but not full of nerdy humor and references. Still just as utterly charming.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that the coming-of-age story inside Scott Pilgrim is the one where it gradually dawns on the reader that Scott is actually an asshole.I see this but think it's awesome that Bryan Lee O'Malley both celebrates that time in life and tells his readership as gently as possible they should move on.

madhair60
08-04-2012, 12:25 PM
I really like the color palette they went with.

Ditto. That sample allays my fears somewhat.

TE-Ryan
08-08-2012, 10:54 AM

...this should become apparent before the end of the first issue. Scott and his friends are all hipsters. Not all assholes are hipsters, but all hipsters are assholes.

Anyone who didn't get that is probably a hipster themself. And an asshole.

Daikaiju
08-10-2012, 07:50 AM
A 1up coin.

Dammit! My weakness! Metal tchotkes!

Karzac
08-18-2012, 05:08 PM
So I acquired and read the hardcover colour edition of Precious Little Life this week. Some thoughts:

- Reading this after seeing the movie a couple of times is weird. I forgot how many jokes weren't in the movie and vice versa. And the order of events more different than I thought. Scott doesn't break up with Knives until Volume 2? What an asshole!

-The colour looks awesome! Seriously, they did a great job and it lends a lot of life to the story. The fight and dream scenes especially benefit from it.

- I forgot that the head glow was introduced so early. For anybody who thought that it was only given importance later on, you are wrong. It's pretty clear that BLOM intended right from the beginning to make it important.

- There is a bunch of cool stuff from BLOM at the end of the book about the inspiration for the story and all the characters, as well as the original pitch for the first book.

- They won't be done releasing these until 2014! What the fuck?

TE-Ryan
08-21-2012, 08:46 AM
- They won't be done releasing these until 2014! What the fuck?

Awesome. That's plenty of time to put a little cash aside for the box set. By then I'll probably really want to read them again too!

It is gonna be haaaard not to pick them up as they come out though. Better not hang out at any bookstores for a while.

waterpot
08-24-2012, 09:01 AM
from the comicbook alliance
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/08/24/link-ink-omalley-seconds-kevin-keller-trek-cosplay-dredd-3d/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2012/08/omalseconds.jpeg

pcoming: Scott Pilgrim creator Bryan Lee O'Malley has given fans an update about his upcoming project, Seconds, noting that "...Seconds is about a restaurant, and the restaurant is called Seconds, and 90 percent of the story takes place within it. Beyond that it's really hard for me to explain and I'm going to have to work on that so I can talk about it properly when it comes out. But it's funny and weird and kind of big and crazy despite the mundane setting

so... is going to be like a tv sitcom??

Patrick
08-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Cool!

tungwene
08-24-2012, 09:15 AM
If Scott Pilgrim drew inspiration from Shounen fighting manga I hope Seconds draws inspiration from foodie manga.

Egarwaen
08-24-2012, 01:09 PM
If Scott Pilgrim drew inspiration from Shounen fighting manga I hope Seconds draws inspiration from foodie manga.

That would be awesome.

Vega
08-24-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm sceptical that Scott Pilgrim really needs colour. The extremely clean b/w art is a huge part of the book's identity, to me. I probably won't buy it anytime soon, but I'll certainly give it a look.
I had a much easier time telling the characters apart in the brief color sections of the original. That said, it's usually better to draw with color from the start than colorizing later.

teg
08-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Whatever happened to BLOM's weird sort of Astro Boy type project that he was working on ages ago?

Octopus Prime
08-25-2012, 02:53 AM
Whatever happened to BLOM's weird sort of Astro Boy type project that he was working on ages ago?

Just a one-off, as I recall

teg
08-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Did he actually make it though? Or did it just kind of peter out?