PDA

View Full Version : The Sopranoes Finale

Evil Dead Junkie
06-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Anyone else watch it.

I can't figure out whether it was genius or madness. All I know is it takes some balls to end your series with what is essentially an elaborate practical joke designed to make people think their DVRs have failed.

doc_marten_abortion
06-10-2007, 08:10 PM
The last two or three minutes were the most intense in any tv show I have ever seen. Not because anything happened. Not because it was some kind of thrill ride. It was just the kind of cinematography and pacing that makes you believe, deep inside, that something bad was going to happen.

Eventually, it all came to a halt and I laughed. Laughed like the shades were pulled over my eyes and I couldn't see the insanity that may or may not have happened.

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Never really cared for the Soprano's. But people are saying the screen just went black and that Tony Soprano may or may not have been killed leaving the ending open for either a movie or another season.

But I know how Soprano's fans feel. Being a Lost fan myself. It feels horrible to be left full of questions. Like "why was Jack so fucked up in the flash forwards?" "Is John the one in the casket? But the island needs hiom to do something! it can't be! or can it?" and "Why the fuck didn't Charlie just swim out the damn window! What a jerk!". Anyway, it's not exactly the same because most of my questions will be answered in January 2008. The Sopranos just ended with a black screen. The main guy may have been killed or not. That sucks. Like the Angel series finale. I'm still pissed off about that one.

doc_marten_abortion
06-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Tony killed? I doubt it. Unless the series grew some berries, I think the only way they could write Tony's death into the show is with a package of capicola.

Maggie
06-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Like the Angel series finale. I'm still pissed off about that one.

I kind of liked that one. It had a nice kind of poetry to it that it wouldn't have had if they'd had the time to wrap everything up. It's sort of left up in the air what happens, but in the end Angel makes it clear that they don't have to beat the Senior Partners, maybe it's just enough to stand up to them.

Er, and um... I've never watched the Sopranos.

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-10-2007, 08:38 PM
I kind of liked that one. It had a nice kind of poetry to it that it wouldn't have had if they'd had the time to wrap everything up. It's sort of left up in the air what happens, but in the end Angel makes it clear that they don't have to beat the Senior Partners, maybe it's just enough to stand up to them.

Er, and um... I've never watched the Sopranos.

Oh, and talking about poetry, when Spike chooses to spend his last day in a poetry slam. That is one of the best moments on television ever. I agree it was nice. But still, did Gun survive that stomach wound? Probably not. And, what happened to the rest of the Earth if the heroes were killed? And did Buffy suddenly appear with a Slayer army in time to save Angel? (or Spike, I'm a freak and I'm a Spike fan, I'm all for a new series called Spike).

I agree the Angel ending was awesome, but the questions dammit. The damned questions. I cared for those characters. I want them to live and be happy.

Oh, but how about those Sopranos. Really good, huh?

Evil Dead Junkie
06-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Thank you It's been driving me crazy what this reminded me of, Angel is exactly how this thing ended.

Those last three minutes (and really by extension the whole episode) was so freaking intense. I literally didn't believe it was over, I watched through the credit waiting for a still shot of all of them dead to pop up.

Personally though I think Tony is still alive.

Psyael
06-10-2007, 09:39 PM
The people who wanted a bloodbath were disappointed, of course, but as someone who was never interested in a murderspree ending but invested plenty of time learning about these characters, I was still displeased.

Trying to find the right metaphor, the last five minutes were like riding Space Mountain, and the last twenty seconds was the vehicle coming to an emergency stop and the lights in the dome coming on, revealing that the whole thing is just a cheesy/tame coaster rolling around in the dark.

djSyndrome
06-10-2007, 10:51 PM
I would like that hour of my life back. With interest.

VsRobot
06-11-2007, 02:07 AM
I don't feel closure.

Tomm Guycot
06-11-2007, 10:47 AM
First off - I don't, nor have I ever, watched the Sopranos.

However, after my parents rattled off how lame the finale was, I paid attention when my local radio show took calls about it. Someone explained what it "meant" and I actually agree with them, given my limited knowledge.

However, they provided (what sounded like) pretty solid proof, so I feel like enlightening people.

(spoilers)

So I guess Tony is sitting in a restaurant and there are one or two people in there you are expecting to whack him. As a girl is parking a car outside, it shifts into his POV every so often from inside the restaurant.

As she walks in, we switch back to his POV and then the screen goes black.

HERE'S THE THING

Few episodes ago I guess, someone was saying to someone else, that when you get whacked, you never see it coming. Everything just goes black.

So, the ending IS in fact implying Tony is whacked--but instead of a bloodbath, you are watching it from his POV. He doesn't see it coming, and everything goes black.

Assuming all those facts are correct... it sounds like a brilliant ending. You guys need to pay better attention to details.

reibeatall
06-11-2007, 10:52 AM
You know, I kinda want to watch the Sopranos now.

djSyndrome
06-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Assuming all those facts are correct... it sounds like a brilliant ending. You guys need to pay better attention to details.

So you're giving advice on an episode you haven't even seen - of a show you don't even watch? You have no frame of reference.

For the record, I thought the ending was fantastic. But other than Phil's execution and subsequent pavement pressing, I thought the rest of the episode was crap.

reibeatall
06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
So you're giving advice on an episode you haven't even seen - of a show you don't even watch? You have no frame of reference.

When has that ever mattered on the internet?

djSyndrome
06-11-2007, 11:21 AM
When has that ever mattered on the internet?

I just thought it was kind of flippant for Tomm to be directing us to 'pay better attention' to details that he has paid no attention to himself.

Just sayin'

Tomm Guycot
06-11-2007, 11:55 AM

For the record, I thought the ending was fantastic. But other than Phil's execution and subsequent pavement pressing, I thought the rest of the episode was crap.

If I hadn't put that disclaimer ALL OVER MY POST, you might have a leg to stand on.

If you'd READ my post, you might realize I was being sarcastic with that comment.

Seriously internet - LIGHTEN THE F()*^& UP!!!!!

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-11-2007, 12:18 PM
If I hadn't put that disclaimer ALL OVER MY POST, you might have a leg to stand on.

If you'd READ my post, you might realize I was being sarcastic with that comment.

Seriously internet - LIGHTEN THE F()*^& UP!!!!!

Welcome to my world.

Anyway, do any of you guys like Lost? I think it's the only good series right now. Extremely well written. And it doesn't even takes itself too seriously (like the alien joke in the 3rd season finale, hilarious).

To be honest, the reason The Sopranos didn't caught my attention is because I believe The Godfather 1 and 2 said everything there was to say about gangsters.

jeditanuki
06-11-2007, 01:11 PM
I liked it, but then I'm sick and twisted. Heck, I liked the "It's a Wonderful Life" happy crappy Xmas ending of the semi-season before this one. It was subversive and drove my friends crazy.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-11-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm fully on the genius opinion now.

I'm still not sure that Tony died though.

VsRobot
06-11-2007, 05:05 PM
I didn't mind the actual ending, but I felt there were way too many loose ends left for a season finale that they've know was coming for a long time.

The sourest note for me is how the Melfi storyline ended, with her abruptly dropping Tony because she got made fun of at a dinner party.