PDA

View Full Version : The only way to save my people is to punch this T-Rex - Let's Read Robot Commando!

Loki
11-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Let's talk gamebooks. Technically the term refers to all branching path or non-electronic interactive fiction, but in popular use branching path works are usual just called CYOAs while "gamebook" specifically refers to ones with some element of character creation, stat tracking, or combat. In my youth spent in the mountainous wilds of Colorado I was up to my neck in Choose Your Own Adventure, Which Way, Time Machine, and any number of CYOA series. But aside from the odd Nintendo Adventure Book and one copy of Lone Wolf I had no idea that gamebooks were even a thing.

On the other side of the Atlantic however, things were much different. In the early 80's Games Workshop (Warhammer) co-founders Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone wrote The Warlock of Firetop Mountain a CYOA with emphasis on dungeon crawling, combat, and life-ending traps. It was a huge success and became the first book in the massive Fighting Fantasy series. Jackson and Livingstone wrote the first few books in the series but soon other authors were added to meet the demand. By the time video games finally killed gamebooks in the mid-90's 59 mainline Fighting Fantasy titles had been published.

I had never even heard the name Fighting Fantasy until a couple of years ago. Since then I've become infatuated by the gamebook form. It's very limited, hard as hell to balance, and stuck in a juvenile mindset. On the other hand gamebooks are fun as hell, and despite not doing anything that video games can't do better there's something about them. An intrinsic worth.

Most of the Fighting Fantasy books took place in the fantasy world of Titan, but many dipped into other genres, such as the one we'll be reading today: a science-fiction epic from the heart of the 80's.

http://i.imgur.com/NIMbJ.jpg

Robot Commando was written by the other Steve Jackson (of Munchkin and GURPS fame). It's considered middle of the road as far as Fighting Fantasy books go, but it has one hell of crackerjack theme.

Past and future meet in the land of Thalos!

What would you do if you were a rancher on a distant planet, using robots to herd vicious dinosaurs? What would you do if your deadly enemies, the Karosseans, invaded? What would you do if you knew that the protection of your homeland against the invaders and marauding dinosaurs was up to you alone? Now is your chance to find out, for all this is exactly what happens in this thrilling futuristic adventure!

http://i.imgur.com/rgfxa.jpg

BACKGROUND

You are a rancher in the land of Thalos. Your people (and your enemies, the savage Karosseans) have built huge robots for many purposes. With a skilled operator at the controls, a robot can replace a hundred men - to mine ore, erect buildings, - move cargo, or just about anything else.

The robots are also your best defense against the vicious dinosaurs of Thalos. Many years ago, the great lizards caused much destruction. But now mankind has learned to tame the beasts, and many of the folk of Thalos - like you - are dinosaur ranchers. The ranchers use Mark 5A utility robots, known as 'cowboys,' to herd the dinosaurs! But wild dinosaurs are still dangerous, and all robots have guns to defend themselves.

Early one morning, you are just finishing your breakfast when one of your assistants staggers into the kitchen. 'So sleepy,' he says. Then he sits down at the table, pillows his head on his arms and goes to sleep!

You shake him, but you cannot rouse him. Alarmed, you go for help. But everyone else you see is asleep.

You rush back inside and switch on a radio. But you can get only scraps of messages: 'Everybody asleep... Karossean attack... can't stay awake...' Soon there is nothing to be heard. You go outside again and pour cold water on several of your friends - but they just snore and mutter.

Then you hear a rumble overhead, like thunder out of the clear sky. You look up. Streaking overhead is the unmistakable shape of a Karossean robojet!

You realize what must have happened. Somehow, the Karosseans have managed to put everyone in Thalos to sleep... everyone but you. For some reason, you are immune.

Over the next few hours, you listen to the enemy communications and piece together the story. In the past, the Karosseans had steered clear of Thalos; with its brave warriors and its many robots, your land was too tough to attack. But Minos, their leader, hit on a clever plan. His spies spread capsules of a virulent sleeping sickness - and before long, all Thalos was asleep!

Soon you hear a broadcast from Minos himself, talking to his invading troops. An elite force of a thousand warriors, with hundreds of robots, has invaded Thalos. But this is only the beginning. With the population helpless, Minos plans to loot your country. It's riches and its robots will be his; its people will be sold as slaves! And only you can stop it...

You know what you have to do. You walk back inside and buckle your father's old sword to your waist. Food will be no problem - you know supplies will be easy to find - but you pick up a supply of five medikits. Then you head for the robot parking-area. Alone, you must defeat the Karossean invaders and free your land!

NOW TURN THE PAGE

http://i.imgur.com/chgLp.jpg

Octopus Prime
11-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Robots, dinosaurs, aliens cowboys AND Your Fathers Old Sword?

Hot dang, we got ourselves a HUMDINGER

Loki
11-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Skill, Stamina and Luck

Before embarking on your adventure, you must first determine your own strengths and weaknesses. You must first use the dice to determine your Initial SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK scores.

Roll one die. Add 6 to this number to determine your skill.

I'm not going to bother linking to Invisible Castle for rolls or anything because please. Skill can make or break a game. Some Fighting Fantasies are impossible with a skill below 12. Things don't get that bad in Robot Commando, still let's hope for at least a skill of 9.

http://i.imgur.com/xLpNH.gif

http://i.imgur.com/dYP8m.jpg! Not bad. Skill = 10

Roll both dice. Add 12 to the number rolled to determine your stamina.

Stamina is our hit points. Higher is better but a low score won't mean the end of the world.

http://i.imgur.com/VxmAH.jpg! Stamina = 20

Roll one die. Add 6 to this number to determine your luck.

Luck does a lot of things in addition to letting you deal or receive less damage.

http://i.imgur.com/g1otu.jpg! Well shit. That'll make things painful. Luck = 7

For reasons that will be explained below, SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK scores change constantly during an adventure. You must keep an accurate record of these scores. Although you may be awarded additional SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK points, these totals may never exceed your Initial scores unless something specifically occurs to change your Initial scores.

Your Skill score represents your general fighting expertise, both with your own weapons and when you are piloting a robot. Your Stamina score reflects your general constitution, your will to survive, your determination and overall fitness. Your Luck score indicates how naturally lucky a person you are. The higher each of these scores, the better!

Robots

There are many different types of robot, and you will have a chance to pilot them all. You may use any robot you find. However, you may have only one robot at a time! Each robot's abilities are determined by several scores:

ARMOUR represents the robot's toughness and ability to take damage. This is like your own Stamina score. A robot has an Armour score instead of a Stamina score.

SPEED tells how fast a robot can travel. This gives an advantage in combat. A faster robot has a +1 bonus to its Skill against a slower opponent. Robots may be Slow, Medium, Fast, or (for flying robots) Very Fast. If your robot is slower than the enemy you are fighting, you may never Escape, even if the page offers your that option!

COMBAT BONUS: When you use a robot, you fight with your own Skill. But some robots are especially made for battle, and give you a Combat Bonus when you fight. Some robots are especially unsuited for battle, and you will have to subtract points for your Skill!

SPECIAL ABILITIES: These are different for every robot.

Possessions

At the beginning of the adventure, your only Possessions are your sword and five medikits for curing wounds. As the adventure progresses, you will lose or use up some Possessions, and gain others.

Unless the description of an artefact says specifically that it must be mounted permanently on a robot, you may carry all artefacts with you when you leave a robot.

Note also that the names and model numbers of artefacts may contain clues. Always write down the full name and number of anything you pick up, including robots!

Individual Combat

You will often come across pages in the book which instruct you to fight a foe of some sort. An option to flee may be given, but if not - or if you chose to attack the foe anyway - you must resolve the battle as described below. This procedure is used when you, personally, face an opponent.

The sequence of combat is:
1. Roll both dice once for the foe. Add its Skill score. This total is the foe's Attack Strength.
2. Roll both dice once for yourself. add the number to your Skill score. Thid total is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is higher than that of the foe, you have wounded it. If the foe's is higher than yours, it has wounded you. If both totals are the same, you have avoided each other's blows.
4. If you wound the foe, subtract 2 points from its Stamina score. You may use your luck here to do additional damage.
5. If the foe has wounded you, subtract 2 points from your Stamina score. Again you may use Luck at this stage.
6. This sequence continues until the Stamina score of either yourself or your foe has been reduced to zero (death) - or until you Escape.

Robot Combat

There are the rules for battling dinosaurs and giant robots. Whenever you are fighting in your robot - and whenever the opponent has Skill, Armour and Speed scores instead of just Skill and Stamina - then the rules for robot combat must be used.

1. Roll both dice once for the foe. Add its Skill score. Add 1 if the foe is faster than your robot. This is the foe's Attack Strength.
2. Roll both dice once for yourself. Add the number to your Skill score. Add any Combat Bonus that was listed for the robot. Add 1 if your robot is faster than the foe. This is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is higher than that of the foe, you have wounded it. If the foe's is higher than yours, it has wounded you. If both totals are the same, you have avoided each other's blows.
4. If you wound the foe, subtract 2 points from its Armour score. You may use your luck here to do additional damage.
5. If the foe has wounded you, subtract 2 points from your Armour score. Again you may use Luck at this stage.
6. This sequence continues until the Armour score of either yourself or your foe has been reduced to zero - or until you Escape.
7. If your foe's Armour is reduced to zero, you have won. If your own robot's Armour is reduced to zero, it has been destroyed. But you are not necessarily dead, or even injured. You do not lose any of your own Stamina unless the instructions specifcally say so. You may have a chance to survive and continue your adventure in another robot.

Escaping

On some pages you may be given the option of running away from battle should things go badly for you. However, if you do run away, the foe automatically gets one wound on you as you flee. Such is the price of cowardice. Not that you may use Luck on this wound in the normal way. You may only Escape if that option is specially give to you on the page, and if your robot is faster than your foe.

Luck

At various times during your adventure, either in battles or when you come across situations in which you could either be lucky or unlucky, you may call on your Luck to make the outcome more favourable. But beware! Using Luck is risky business, and if you are unlucky, the results could be disastrous.

The procedure for using your Luck is as follows: roll two dice. If the number rolled is equal to or less than your current Luck score, you have been Lucky and the result will go in your favour. If the number rolled is higher, you have been Unlucky and you will be penalized.

This procedure is known as Testing your Luck. Each time you Test your Luck, you must subtract 1 point from your Luck score. Thus you will soon realize that the more you rely on Luck, the more risky it will become.

Using Luck in Battles

On certain ages in the book you will be told to Test your Luck and will be told the consequences of your being Lucky or Unlucky. However, in battles, you always have the option of using your Luck, either to inflict a more serious wound on a foe you have just injured, or to minimize the effects of a wound the foe has just infected on you.

If you have just wounded the foe you may Test your Luck as described above. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound and may subtract an extra 2 points from the foe's Stamina or Armour score. However, if you are Unlucky, the would was a mere graze and you only inflict 1 point of damage.

If the foe has just wounded you, you may Test your Luck to try to minimize the wound. If you are Lucky, you have managed to avoid the full effect of the blow and only take 1 point of damage. If you are Unlucky, you have taken a more serious blow. Subtract 1 extra Stamina or Armour point.

Remember that you must subtract 1 point from your Luck score each time you Test your Luck.

Restoring Skill, Stamina and Luck

Skill

Your Skill score will not change much during your adventure. Occasionally, a page may give instructions to increase or decrease your Skill score. An increase in Skill may be general, affecting all combats, or it may affect only one type of combat. You Skill score can never exceed its Initial value. However, bonuses (from artefacts or robots with a Combat Bonus) can add to you Skill no matter how high it is.

Stamina

Your Stamina score will change a lot during your adventure as you fight various foes and undertake arduous tasks. As you near your goal, your Stamina level may be dangerously low and battles may be particularly risky, so be careful!

When you start your adventure, you will have five 'medikits.' Each medikit can be used to restore 1 lost point of Stamina. You are assumed to carry these with you at all times. however, they may not be used during a battle - only afterwards! Remember also that your Stamina score may never exceed its Initial value.

Luck

Additions to your Luck score are awarded when you have been particularly lucky, or when you do something deserving of luck. Details are giving in the pages of the book. Remember that, as with Skill and Stamina, your Luck score may never exceed its Initial value.

Hints On Play

In this book, you will become a lone guerrilla, fighting agains a horde of invaders. There are three entirely different ways to defeat the invaders - one obvious, the others not so! Each method requires a different path, different artefacts and different decisions.

You are advices to make faithful notes about the places you visit and the things you learn; they could save your life. You will sometimes have the chance to go back to a place you have already visited during the same adventure. In any event, your notes will be useful in further adventures, enabling you to pass rapidly on to unexplored places.

You may also want to make a map of the countryside as you pass through it. In particular, it will help you to learn the relative positions of the cities you visit.

Not every spot that you visit will be helpful; some contain only traps and foes which you will no doubt fall foul of. Many wrong turnings are possible... and, even if you reach the ultimate destination, you may not have everything you need to succeed.

The one best path to victory may not be the obvious one - but it requires a minimum of risk. Any player no matter how weak on Initial dice rolls, should be able to use any of the three strategies fairly easily once the best path has been discovered.

Good luck!

Loki
11-21-2012, 01:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EgspW.jpg

At the robot parking-area, you stop and look around. There are several robots there, but only two seen suitable for long-distance travel. You study them both. If you want to take a standard 'cowboy' walking robot, which is not fast but sturdy and adaptable, turn to 24. If you would prefer a light flyer, which is very speedy and manoeuvrable, but not really intended for combat, turn to 47.

Well hot dang I didn't expect a significant choice so fast. Bravo, Robot Commando. So what should it be Talking Time? Should we power up the ol' Cowboy and go dinosaur wrangling or just fly all fast and shit?

Mogri
11-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Light flyer. The area of flying robots is poorly explored.

Octopus Prime
11-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Robot Cowboy sucker-punching a dinosaur is what I signed up for, dangit!

kaisel
11-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Robot Cowboy, defenses are useful.

Loki
11-21-2012, 06:47 PM

This man-shaped robot is designed for dinosaur herding. It moves by walking. It has weapons for dealing with rogue dinosaurs, but they are not as powerful as those of a war robot.

COWBOY ROBOT
ARMOUR 10 SPEED Medium
COMBAT BONUS 0 SPECIAL ABILITIES None

Now you must choose a place to go: turn to 70

Giddyup.

http://i.imgur.com/biZ50.jpg

Now what are you going to do? You know that, although there are probably Karosseans everywhere, their base is at the Capital City. But you can't just charge in there and attack them with your little robot! You must prepare well before you make your move. Fortunately, there are many cities in Thalos. You will be able to search the whole country for help, if need be, before you confront the invaders. Two large cities are fairly close. If you want to go to the City of Knowledge, turn to 93. If you want to go to the City of Industry, turn to 209.

Knowledge is for nerds! I bet you nerds want to go there, huh? God you are such nerds.

Octopus Prime
11-21-2012, 08:28 PM
I don't think of an egg on stilts when I am asked to envision a man. Go to the City of Industry. See if you can't find a robot that looks like a proper cowboy. With a serape, and a loaded revolver in each hand. Yeehaw!

Loki
11-21-2012, 08:34 PM
It got legs don't it? Mans gots a leg. Que uie dee.

gahitsu
11-22-2012, 06:25 AM
I kind of like Knowledge but I'm hot and bothered for dino wranglin' too!

TE-Ryan
11-22-2012, 07:50 AM
You realize what must have happened. Somehow, the Karosseans have managed to put everyone in Thalos to sleep... everyone but you. For some reason, you are immune.

Ah, storytelling at it's finest. I sincerely hope this is never explained.

City of Industry, dangit! Octoman is right; we need a real rohbut!

Gerad
11-22-2012, 07:50 AM
City of Industry! We need a better robot much more than we need some knowledge!

Loki
11-22-2012, 12:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/R6ipb.jpg

You set course for the City of Industry, a place of great factories and machinery. There, you reason, you might find a robot or invention that would give you an advantage over the invaders. If you are in the Dragonfly Robot, turn to 265. If you are in the Cowboy Robot, turn to 39.

After several hours of travel, you enter rocky terrain. The path narrows, and you are forced to use both of your robot's hands just to climb. You wish you were in a vehicle that could just fly over all this!

Yeah everyone who isn't Mogri, wouldn't that be nice. Also, hands?

Suddenly, you hear a roar. Looking behind you, you see a huge Tyrannosaurus sprinting through the rocks at you! Jaws agape, it lunges towards you, and robot and dinosaur fall to the ground, grappling fiercely. This huge meat-eater is the 'king of the dinosaurs' and attacks anything it sees to feed its savage appetite. You must fight it to the finish.

http://i.imgur.com/EP01e.jpg

TYRANNOSAURUS
ARMOUR 8 SPEED Fast
SKILL 9 SPECIAL ABILITIES None

You cannot Escape; the Tyrannosaurus is faster than you are, and it is familiar with the territory. If you defeat the Tyrannosaurus, turn to 235. If it reduces your robot's ARMOUR to 0, turn to 258.

Alright, the mighty T-Rex. Terror of lawyers in outhouses everywhere. We can't escape it because objects in the mirror are closer than they appear. Something something else Jurassic Park.

Because it's faster than what is essentially a pair of legs it gains 1 to it's Skill, bringing it up to 10. That puts us on even ground. The Cowboy does have more armor though, so baring some really bad luck this fight shouldn't be anything we can't handle.

Speaking of Luck, my personal play-style is to not use it except in the most dire of emergencies. This is especially true now since we're starting with a measly 7. If you guys want me to go willy-nilly with luck rolls just say so, but I won't be held responsible for the consequences.

Fight It Out!!

Round 1: T-Rex: http://i.imgur.com/YVqSP.jpg Cowboy: http://i.imgur.com/30p0W.jpg The two titans meet in a earth-shaking blow, but they don't manage to do much damage to each other and instead it just looks like they're kinda making out.

(I'm not going to bother with details on ties after this, because there's bound to be a lot of them and they're boring)

Round 2: T-Rex: http://i.imgur.com/FTZ0h.jpg Cowboy: http://i.imgur.com/hFXsV.jpg The T-Rex tears at one of the Cowboy's non-existant arms, reducing its stamina to 8.

Round 3: T-Rex: http://i.imgur.com/hwwgS.jpg Cowboy: http://i.imgur.com/lSfoS.jpg Dinosaur saliva infect's the Cowboy's CPU, sending an electrical serge straight into our groin. Stamina: 6

Round 4: T-Rex: http://i.imgur.com/ylS7V.jpg Cowboy: http://i.imgur.com/DUN6H.jpg The T-Rex gnaws on the Cowboy's head causing an emergency light to turn on. Stamina: 4

Round 5: T-Rex: http://i.imgur.com/PHXoJ.jpg Cowboy: http://i.imgur.com/PGBkM.jpg We finally wake-up from our dinosaur induced stupor to maybe punch the T-Rex I guess. T-Stamina: 6

Round 6: T-Rex: http://i.imgur.com/nMXre.jpg Cowboy: http://i.imgur.com/NXp7n.jpg No T-Rex likes to be punched and this one is no exception. TAIL SWIPE! Stamina: 2

Round 7: T-Rex: http://i.imgur.com/my97u.jpg Cowboy: http://i.imgur.com/HWu7B.jpg The T-Rex has left itself exposed. You know what that mean: knee to the crotch. T-Stamina: 4

Round 8: T-Rex: http://i.imgur.com/f5MGk.jpg Cowboy: http://i.imgur.com/ZQHab.jpg The T-Rex tries to grab his junk but it has stubbly little arms which leaves us plenty of room for a follow-up. T-Stamina: 2

Final Round: T-Rex: http://i.imgur.com/jHcD9.jpg Cowboy: http://i.imgur.com/n3kIC.jpg You can only kick a T-Rex in the dick so many times before it bites your head off, which is precisely what happens. Stamina: 0

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyp. Bad dice rolls can fuck you over. Such is the magic of Fighting Fantasy. Should have picked the flying robot, Mogri.

The dinosaur is not satisfied with its victory. Ripping and tearing, it demolishes your robot completely. It knows that the robot isn't good to eat, but if smells meat somewhere! Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 282. If you are Unlucky, turn to 391.

See, this is how a low luck score can really destroy a run. If we roll an 8 or higher the T-Rex will probably eat is. There is a 50% chance the game will end right here. Cross your fingers guys.

Luck Test: http://i.imgur.com/klYdO.jpg

The dice are fickle masters, but there is no questioning their judgment.

Your luck has run out! The Tyrannosaurus spots you and gobbles you up in a second. Your adventure is over - and a short one it was, too.

Geeze Steve Jackson, you don't have to rub our noses in it. Well, I guess I would do the same thing, so maybe you do.

But! Just because our quest is over doesn't mean our quest is over. One of the time honored traditions of gamebooks is the ol' Finger Bookmark. Let's pretend we keep our finger on one of the previous pages, just in case something like this would happen. So how far should we jump back? Should we start over and re-roll our stats? Go back to the parking lot and pick the flyer? Or should we try fighting the T-Rex again?

The choice...

IS YOURS!

Octopus Prime
11-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Imagine a giant robo-egg fighting a Dinosaur. Imagine their struggle lasting eternity.

Go back in time, Loki. Go back and set right what once went wrong by PUNCHING A DINOSAUR IN THE FACE

Mogri
11-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Well, slap my knee and call me Cassandra.

Flying robots, guys

TE-Ryan
11-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Imagine a giant robo-egg fighting a Dinosaur. Imagine their struggle lasting eternity.

Go back in time, Loki. Go back and set right what once went wrong by PUNCHING A DINOSAUR IN THE FACE

With the hands that still don't exist, even when you turn back time?

Get that there flyin' contraption and sail gracefully over the murderous t-rexaur who clearly doesn't want you to get to the City of Industry because he knows there's a robot there that you can upgrade to that was made with actual real robot fists for dino-punchin' .

I tried to make that sentence even longer. I just couldn't.

Summon Shiva he's weak against ice

Octopus Prime
11-22-2012, 02:14 PM
You guys want to AVOID getting into a fist-fight with a tyrannosaur?

Man, why do I even visit TT?

gahitsu
11-22-2012, 05:01 PM
You guys want to AVOID getting into a fist-fight with a tyrannosaur?

Man, why do I even visit TT?

sons i am disappoint

Loki
11-22-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm sure we'll get a chance to enact our prevenge on the T-Rex soon enough, but for now the masses demand a faster robot for today's busy sole survivor.

This flying robot, called a Dragonfly Model D, looks like a gigantic dragonfly, complete with buzzing wings. Its main advantage in combat is its speed.

DRAGONFLY MODEL D
ARMOUR 5 SPEED Very Fast
COMBAT BONUS 0 SPECIAL ABILITIES Because this craft is so manoeuvrable, you can escape from any opponent - even another 'Very Fast' one - if given the option to escape.

http://i.imgur.com/oIwdV.jpg

Then we get the same choice, Knowledge or Industry. Buts I know yous guys are all a bunch of meathead jocks who disdain maybe learning something for once.

Our trip to the City of Industry is so fast and expedient that it's not even described. Seriously, it asks where you want to go and there you are.

You are in the City of Industry. Normally, it is busy and bustling, but now you see no life anywhere. Everyone is asleep... everyone but you. Where will you go in your quest for useful artefacts:

The Fuel-refining Plant? Turn to 105
The Robot Experimental Centre? Turn to 25
The tunnels underneath the city? Turn to 127
Just explore? Turn to 34
Leave the city? Turn to 309

I already know you dorks will pick the Experimental Centre but let's make it official.

gahitsu
11-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Tunnels sound pretty cool but I've been looking for a robot to star in my experimental film, so ...

Octopus Prime
11-22-2012, 06:07 PM
The Color of Infinity Inside an Empty Glass, please.

Loki
11-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Yeah!

This is the Robot Experimental Centre. If you have been here before, turn to 251. If you have not been here before, keep reading. You know little about the Centre except its name, but you have heard rumours that top-secret work is being done here. Turn to 333.

You are in the lobby of the Robot Experimental Centre. You read the directory, and see that different sorts of work are being done on different floors of the building. Several seem interesting. Where will you go:

Second floor: Interface Mechanisms? Turn to 392
Thrid floor: Weapons Development? Turn to 182
Sixth floor: Amplifier Project? Turn to 20
Tenth floor: Deteronics? Turn to 229
Leave the building? Turn to 206

Why visit one floor when we can visit all? Let's take a tour!

Exploring the second floor, you find several prototype models of an odd-looking helmet. According to the files you read there, it is an Interface Transponder. While you wear one of these helmets, increase your Skill by 1 when using a robot, up to a maximum Skill of 11. It does not affect other combats.

Yes sir I will wear your goofy helmet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/helmet.jpg

When you leave the lift on the third floor, you immediately spy a man-sized Guard Robot standing in the hallway. 'Sorry. No admittance,' squaks its mechanical voice. What will you do:

Try to reason with the robot? Turn to 295
Attack the robot? Turn to 142
Go to another floor? Turn to 333

Uh... let's explore some more before we tackle with this feller.

The whole sixth floor of the Centre seems to be a cross between a laboratory and a gymnaisum. In the middle of the room is a device like a suit of armour. Beside it is a sleeping fellow, somewhat battered around the face, in an athletic suit. After a little investigation, you find that the device on the floor is an experimental 'Amplifier Suit' designed to make its wearer almost as strong and fast as a robot. If you want to try it on, turn to 83. If you want to try a different floor turn to 333.

This smells like a trap. I know your ways, Fighting Fantasy. You're going to tempt us with something cool and then it turns out to snap our body apart or electrocute us or something.

That doesn't mean we're not going to try it on, just that we know what's coming.

You fit yourself into the Amplifier Device and activate it. When you take an experimental step, you jump a meter in the air! You reach for the instructions on a nearby table - and your fist goes through the table! You are delighted. You pick up a hundred kilo file cabinet in one hand, toss it in the air and catch it. Then you try to jump. Maybe you can go over tall buildings in a single bound!

At that point, the suit goes out of control. You bounce off several walls, the floor, and once the ceiling. Eventually you come to a stop. You carefully deactivate the suit - then you just lie and rest. Lose 2 Stamina points. Now you know why you never heard of this experiment, and why the tester in the sweatsuit looked so battered!

Stamina: 18 I'm actually surprised it didn't kill us. Moving on.

On the tenth floor, you find an increadible confusion of cubbyholes, and nothing that looks like a robot or device. There are tall bookshelves everywhere, and more books on the floor and the desks. If you continue to investigate, turn to 360. If you return to the lobby, turn to 333.

What kind of question is that? No blook never hurt nobody. Of course we investigate.

You poke around, looking for something useful. You find nothing, but a huge book falls from a high shelf and hits you on the head. Lose 1 Stamina point. The other bookshelves are teetring ominously. You leave in disgust and return to the lobby.

Stamina: 17 READING IS BAD FOR YOU IS THE LESSON HERE

Okay team, how should we handle that security robot? With cold hard logic or weak spongey flesh? Or should we just up and go somewhere else instead?

Octopus Prime
11-23-2012, 03:57 AM
Tell he robot that you are lying to it right now, and carry on your way.

madhair60
11-23-2012, 04:43 AM
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19832728/Image0298.jpg

As you can imagine, this gets me pussy like you wouldn't believe.

Loki
11-23-2012, 04:48 AM
So lovely in all of its pea soup glory.

TE-Ryan
11-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Well, you do have that cardboard helmet, and also your Father's Old Sword. It's probably enchanted with robot-defeating magic for some reason.

Fight it out!

Loki
11-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Alright, we'll try reasoning with it first and if that doesn't work, punch it with a sword.

While you are arguing with the machine, it picks you up - none too gently - and tosses you back into the lift. Lose 1 Stamina point.

Thanks Octo. :( Stamina 16

Your mission is more important than this asinine robot. You will have to deal with it by force.

GUARD ROBOT
SKILL 8 STAMINA 10

Note that this robot is human-sized, and you fight it as though it were a human foe. You may Escape at any time by turning to 118. If you defeat the Guard Robot, turn to 48.

With a Skill 8 it will have to roll at least 3 higher than us on any given round to do damage. That's the thing with Fighting Fantasy's system. It may not seem like a lot but a single skill point can swing the probability of outcomes by a significant degree.

FIGHT IT OUT!!

Round 1: Robot: http://i.imgur.com/nehUY.jpg Commando: http://i.imgur.com/WisH0.jpg We slash at the robot, carving a "Z" into its metal blouse. Robamina: 8

Round 2: Robot: http://i.imgur.com/s4rf7.jpg Commando: http://i.imgur.com/e99D7.jpg Sword meets claw in a ringing blow that doesn't do much damage but sounds cool I guess? Who brings a sword to a robot fight anyway?

Round 3: Robot: http://i.imgur.com/D0D4Y.jpg Commando: http://i.imgur.com/Vy1tr.jpg A mighty blow cleaves the robot's floating point unit, causing it to forget how to do trigonometry. Robamina:6

Round 4: Robot: http://i.imgur.com/VZdMe.jpg Commando: http://i.imgur.com/oFimG.jpg The robot pulls an R2, squirting out slick oil that causes us to fall flat on our bum! Stamina: 14

Round 5: Robot: http://i.imgur.com/1jZPx.jpg Commando: http://i.imgur.com/Rrop1.jpg A quick slice takes out the dish on the robot's head, severing its link to satellite radio. Robamina: 4

Round 6: Robot: http://i.imgur.com/Sekvy.jpg Commando: http://i.imgur.com/Fe23y.jpg The robot lunges but thanks to a programming bug it accidentally punches itself in the face. Robamina: 2

Final Round: Robot: http://i.imgur.com/DbFbF.jpg Commando: http://i.imgur.com/GVfFN.jpg We stab the robot in its cold metal heart. It manages one last mournful "beep" before the light fades from its optical units. :( Yay!

You step over the fragments of the smashed robot and enter the laboratory. Inside, you find something very interesting: the prototype for a Seeker Missle. There is only one, but it looks very handy. It can be attached to the outside of any robot. It can be used only when you are piloting a robot - not in personal combat. It may be fired at any time, between Attack Rounds. It will automatically hit its target and reduce its Armour score by 10.

Wow neat! Not a new robot neat, but neat neither the less.

As you take your prize downstairs, you see another Guard Robot like the one you defeated. You furrt out of the lobby and back to your robot. You may install the Seeker Missle now, or save it for another robot. It may be moved from robot to another, but it is lost of the robot it is carrying it is lost, or if it is fired. Turn to 206.

Well I don't see any problem with installing it on the Dragonfly. Unless you guys have any objections.

You are back in your robot. If you want to explore elsewhere in the City of Industry, return to 265 and pick a new destination. If you want to go to another city, turn to 309.

So we can check out The Fuel-refining Plant, the tunnels, or just poke around. Or we can take off and check out the City of Knowledge. What say you, Talking Time?

Octopus Prime
11-23-2012, 07:06 PM
A Fuel Refinery may have giant rats inside that you can kill for valuable early-game experience points

TE-Ryan
11-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Yup, refinery. Maybe you can find a vending machine and get some space-Doritos to restore all those lost stamina points.

Daikaiju
11-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Tunnels. That's where the good stuff is kept.

Loki
11-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Sorry Daikaiju, this is a Dinobotocracy you were out voted.

You decide to vist the Fuel-refining Plant. This is where the radioactive ores that power the robots are processed. A single block of fuel will dive a robot for a year. As you approach, you realize that some of the robots standing around the plant are active! The Karosseans have sent a force to garrison this strategic point. What will you do:

Proceed normally? Turn to 236
Attack? Turn to 169
Flee? Turn to 135
Try a ruse? Turn to 197

The last time we tried to be reasonable with a robot we got tossed around. No, this time we're going to go all out, guns a-blazin'.

http://i.imgur.com/CEgrt.png

You must fight the enemy robots. There are two of them, both Tripod Robots. These speedy machines walk about on three legs; they have metal tentacles-arms that can carry guns or other devices. You recognize them as handling-machines belonging to the fuel plant. The Karosseans have taken them over as robot guards! You must fight them at once.

Each Tripod will have a separate attack on you in each Attack Round, but you must choose which of the two you will fight. Attack your chosen foe each round as in a normal battle. Against the other you must throw for your Attack Strength in the normal way, but even if your Attack Strength is greater, you will not would it. You must just count this as though you have defended yourself from it. However, if its Attack Strength is greater, it will damage you in the usual way.

First TRIPOD
ARMOUR 7 SPEED Fast SKILL 8

Second TRIPOD
ARMOUR 7 SPEED Fast SKILL 10

If you Escape, turn to 293. If you defeat both Tripods, turn to 30. If your robot is defeated, turn to 336.

Because of the interface Helmet we get a Skill boost to 11, and because the Dragonfly is Very Fast we get an extra skill point on top of that. We'll target the Second Tripod first because of the higher skill.

Round 1: First Tripod: http://i.imgur.com/ijJiJ.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/aaYDq.jpg The Tripod fires a blast of robot juice but the Dragonfly is too darn fast and we swoop past it effortlessly.

Second Tripod: http://i.imgur.com/B68k4.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/crmDg.jpg The second Tripod's shot is closer but we manage to outmaneuver it and pump the robot full of space bullets.

Tri-2: 5

Round 2: First Tripod: http://i.imgur.com/ulU0Z.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/aMTIk.jpg

Second Tripod : http://i.imgur.com/ulU0Z.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/3WYwF.jpg The first Tripod bumbles around like a three-leged clown that is also a giant robot. The second again almost gets a hit. For its troubles it takes a bomb on its stupid head.

Tri-2: 3

Round 3: First Tripod: http://i.imgur.com/7dEEc.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/KE9jh.jpg The first Tripod finally gets its act together. It brings one of its legs around in a swipe that's just inches away from the Dragonfly's cockpit.

Second Tripod: http://i.imgur.com/FYuoT.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/gQkNr.jpg The first Tripod's leg continues swinging around and bashes the second hard. That's why you don't fight in pairs.

Tri-2: 1

Round 4: First Tripod: http://i.imgur.com/ZXb1r.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/fyxjx.jpg

Second Tripod: http://i.imgur.com/StvGp.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/7bNUS.jpg While the first Tripod regains it's balance we take the opportunity to do that Empire thing where we use the toe cable to trip up the second.

Tri-2: 0 BOMB

Loki
11-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Round 5: First Tripod: http://i.imgur.com/mhqHS.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/6Tz1c.jpg The first Tripod, enraged by the loss of its... brother? We'll say brother - blasts us with a hate laser.

Dragonfly's Armour: 3

Round 6: Tripod: http://i.imgur.com/g589m.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/TCnnO.jpg We skim along the Tripod "barnstorming" it. This makes it so mad.

Tri-1: 5

Round 7: Tripod: http://i.imgur.com/zIqLZ.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/33OCW.jpg PEW PEW PEW

Tri-1: 3

Round 8: Tripod: http://i.imgur.com/UMH4s.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/GW2PC.jpg In a critical failure the Tripod tries to make an ironic 'shooting itself in the head' gesture but ends up pulling the trigger by mistake.

Tri-1: 1

Final Round: Tripod: http://i.imgur.com/4HHWB.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/ThQgV.jpg For the final volley we show off by doing some loop-de-loops and barrel rolls and finishing up with a downward spiral all while pelting the Tripod with laser blasts and machine gun bullets and a hail of missiles and whatever else would look cool.

Tri-1: 0 Ka-boom!

We only got hit once but the Dragonfly is such a lightweight that it's still in a pretty sorry shape. The sooner we can get a new 'bot the better.

You have defeated the Tripods, but you hear more enemies on the way. You have time for only once choice. If you examine the wreckage of the Tripods, turn to 68. If you enter the fuel plant, turn to 132.

What do you think, peoples? Should we loot some dumb looking dumbies or should we explore the plant?

Octopus Prime
11-24-2012, 07:50 PM
The whole point of coming here was loot! You scavenge up them there robots!

Also, if everyone on the planet is supposed to be asleep, why did they have guards around at all?

Loki
11-24-2012, 11:09 PM
if everyone on the planet is supposed to be asleep, why did they have guards around at all?

Did you forget about all the dinosaurs running around unherded?

You check the Tripods. You are in luck! Thanks to their modular design, one has a piece of undamaged armour-plate that will fit any robot. You can attach it now, or save it until later (though ou may not install it during a battle). It will restore 1 point of Armour, through this may not raise your robot's Armour score about its Initial score. It may only be used once! Turn to 293.

While it may seem like a no-brainer to patch up the Dragonfly, because attacks take two points a score of 3 is esentially identical to one of 4. We'll save the plate until it will be of practical use.

I peaked ahead at the Fuel Refinery reference because you make bad desisions Octo and well... you got lucky I guess. This time.

Still in your robot, you enter the fuel plant and look around. The building is full of gleaming machinery and stacked canisters of fuel, each worth its weight in gold. But you see nothing that appears likely to help you in your struggle. Furthermore, sinec your robot was not designed to enter this dangerous enviroment, you lose 1 Stamina point because of the radioactivity.

1 Armour point or a loss of Stamina seems like a paltry reward for a two-on-one battle. Its hard to say without seeing the whole picture but this feels an awful lot like bad design.

At your best soeed, you leave the area of the Fuel-refining Plant. You may not return to this site. Turn to 265.

Next up, the tunnels. I hope we find a plesiosaur in there.

You park your robot outside the tunnel enterance and slip inside.

The tunnel enterance? You know, this book is really skimpy on the details. Are these electrical infrastructure, a sewer, natural caves? Nope, just tunnels. With a tunnel enterance. :\

You don't know what to expect to find here, but you have never been in this tunnel system, and its aura of secrecy attracts you. The tunnels are dimly lit, but you can see well enough. Soon you come to a turning. If you go right, turn to 15. If you go left, turn to 240.

And for a book that's been so good with significant choices we get a T-Intersection. Oh well, I suppose we were lucky it took this long. In honor of Gahitsu we'll go left.

The tunnel winds until you have lost all sense of direction. Then it forks. One fork seems to go up; the other turns downwards. If you go up, turn to 72. If you go down, turn to 15.

We didn't come down these tunnels just to go up. Onward! Deeper!

The tunnel goes lower and lower into the earth. Then it opens into a wide, dimly lit vault. If you enter the vault, turn to 340. If you continue downwards, turn to 178.

As tempted as I am to go all the way down to the planet core, they keep valuable things in vaults. That's why they're called vaults.

This area proves to be full of rusting, abandoned robots. At the other side of the vault is a huge lift. The control panel has three coloured buttons, but none is marked. The lift contains a huge robot; in the dimness, you cannot make out what type it is, but it has treads and claws. If you enter the lift and push a button at random, turn to 269. If you take the small corridor beside the lift, turn to 398.

Oh man, just what we were looking for. But this is suspicious. On the other hand, how can you not press a button? Sure we might end up erasing history but there's a chance we'll get a robot with treads and claws!

Which button will you press:

Green? Turn to 369
Red? Turn to 157
Blue? Turn to 44

Now wait just a moment, you said random, book. And random is what it will be. 1-2 green, 3-4 red, 5-6 blue.

http://i.imgur.com/yCdFO.gif

The lift doors shudder, and the lift drops half a meter and stops. The lights flicker on, and then off. If you push another button, return to 269 and choose again. If you leave the lift and enter the corridor beside it, turn to 398.

Alright, I guess that could have gone a whole lot worst. This time... http://i.imgur.com/IBISg.gif

The lift doors clang shut and it begins to descend. After about five minutes, it stops again. Outside is a corridor even dimmer than the area you just left. The doors open just wide enough for you to squeeze out. Will you press another button (turn to 269), or step out and go down the corridor (turn to 15)?

Okay, so presumabily Green is for the middle floor, Blue for the bottom, and Red for the surface. So. Should we try red and check out this new robot or explore even further now that we're even further underground?

Daikaiju
11-25-2012, 04:12 AM
See? I said the good stuff was down below!

Octopus Prime
11-25-2012, 04:30 AM
Ro-Man!

Loki
11-26-2012, 05:17 AM

The rusty lift clangs shut and begins to ascend. Higher and higher it goes. Then, with a shriek, the cable snaps. The lift descends again, much faster. When it stops, kilometers below the surface, your adventure is over.

See what I mean about you making bad decisions, Octo.

Octopus Prime
11-26-2012, 05:20 AM
I am SO BAD at saving this world from aliens and also dinosaurs.

TE-Ryan
11-26-2012, 09:01 AM
So what is there, a choice of corridors now? I've lost all sense of direction. You should go the long route from 15 to 178. I don't trust that 398 corridor.

Loki
11-27-2012, 01:44 AM
Well I was thinking we would just take the elevator down but looking closely that may be a bug. It leads to reference 15 which gives us the choice of entering the vault again. Got some non-euclidean geomery up in here.

And yeah, this part's a little weird since locations up to this point have been approximations ('You are now in the City of Industry,' 'You are now in the 'Experimental Center') and it suddenly switches to specific left/right choices. I don't know if Steve Jackson is expecting us to map out the tunnels, but throwing a passage like "the tunnel twists and turns and you get confused," certainly doesn't help.

In any case we pretend we didn't fuck around in the elevator and head deeper into the earth.

The unnel seems to descend for ever. You feel fatigued. Lose 1 Stamina point. Eventually, i reaches a landing. You take the stairway up: turn to 94.

Hells bells. Stamina: 13 Those Medikits are starting to look pretty tempting.

The stairway leads to a corridor which turns downwards once again. Eventually, the corridor ends in a small alcove with a lift. Rather than retrace your steps, you enter the lift and push the button. Turn to 44.

I thought you guys said the tunnels would be exciting and fun. But so far its just been passages and elevators.

The lift doors clang shut and it begins to descend. After about five mintues, i stops again. Outside is a corridor even dimmer than the area you just life. The door opens just wide enough for you to squeeze out. Will you press another button (turn to 269), or step out and go down the corridor (turn to 15)?

Yup, we've hit a loop. Fucking great. This time we'll enter the vault but instead of getting distracted by the lift we'll head to that far passage and see if that gets us anywhere.

The corridor levels off and passes a small alcove. Within the alcove is a small lift,

God fucking damnit.

just big enough for one person. If you want to get in the lift and press the button, turn to 307. Uf you continue along the corridor, turn to 178.

Reference 178, as you may recall, nets us a point of stamina loss and loops around, so we'll be taking the lift.

The lift shoots quickly upwards. The force of its acceleration almost knocks you down - and it continues for a long time! Suddenly the lift doors pop open. You are in the lobby of the Robot Experimental Centre. If you cross the square and re-enter your robot, turn to 206. If you investigate the Robot Experimental Centre, turn to 25.

Well that was a bust. :mad: At this point we can hop back into the tunnels and try some of the other left/right choices or we can mosey around the city with no destination in mind, or we can head to the City of Knowledge.

What have you, TT?

Octopus Prime
11-27-2012, 05:01 AM
I'd say to mosey around, but every decision I make just either kills you, or makes you more-dead.

gahitsu
11-27-2012, 05:29 AM
I was pretty pumped about these tunnels, and I'm sure there's something in there if we want to test our patience, but this section is boring. I say we mosey on out.

TE-Ryan
11-27-2012, 09:38 AM
That City of Knowledge is starting to sound pretty good.

Loki
11-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Tunnels are boring and not packed with dinosaurs. Time to see what else the city has to offer.

You decide to wander around and see what you can find. The streets are choked with huge vehicles, stranded where they fell or rolled when their pilots went to sleep. If you want to explore to the east, turn to 342. If you want to go west, turn to 195.

I flipped a coin and it landed on west.

http://i.imgur.com/LPNog.jpg

]At the outskirts of the city, you find a huge robot junkyard. If you have been here before, turn to [B]82. Otherwise, keep reading. As far as the eye can see, scrapped and damaged robots and pieces of robots are standing, sitting and lying on the ground. But out of the corner of your eye, you see motion. Something seems to be watching you from behind a pile of scrap! If you investigate the junkyard, turn to 370. If yo leave, turn to 110.

We didn't come this far not to dig through people's trash.

You look around the junkyard, and see several things that might be of use. But then you a confronted by a huge creature with the remains of a collar around its neck. It is a Giant Ape, carrying the leg of a robot as though it were a club! At the moment, it seems curious rather than angry. What will you do:

Flee? Turn to 110
Speak to the Ape? Turn to 234
Attack the Ape? Turn to 138

As much as I would like to kill this monkey for not being a dinosaur that would be racist. Maybe it is more receptive to fine conversation than robots are.

http://i.imgur.com/hSDox.jpg

You speak calmly to the Ape, and it begins to caper and grunt. It is a pet, kept to help around the yard! You look around the junkyard, but the only useful things you see are too heavy for you to move, and the junkyard equipment is out of order. Then the Ape, which has been watching you, lends a hand. Deftly, it takes apart the robot you have been studying, and carries the parts as you indicate. With the help of the Ape, you may repair up to 4 Armour points on your robot, if that many had been lost. Turn to 110.

Well that was a spot of good luck! It's not as good as a brand new robot, but it does get the Dragonfly back in ship-shape. Dragonfly: 5

You continue to wander about the city for some time. You see many interesting sights, but nothing that looks as though it would help. At length you come to a large open area. At one side of the park is a large building marked 'Robot Experimental Centre.' Across the park is a sign that says 'Robots Working.' It looks like an open access to the city's tunnel system. Will you visit the Robot Experimental Centre (turn to 25), or leave your robot and enter the tunnel system (turn to 127)?

Guess we don't have a choice. Back into the tunnels.

You park your robot outside the tunnel enterance and slip inside. You don't know what to expect to find here, but you have never been in this tunnel system, and its aura of secrecy attracts you. The tunnels are dimly lit, but you can see well enough. Soon you come to a turning. If you go right, turn to 15. If you go left, turn to 240.

Well we don't want to head back to reference 15 because that's the way to the vault. Guess we'll go left again. That takes us back to

The tunnel winds until you have lost all sense of direction. Then it forks. One fork seems to go up; the other turns downwards. If you go up, turn to 72. If you go down, turn to 15.

We haven't been to 72 though, so up we go.

The tunnel continues on and levels out again. Lose 1 Stamina point. Eventually it opens up into a large area filled with dimly visible hulks. Turn to 340.

I like how we don't even get a reason for losing a point. Just the general ennui of modern life I guess.

Stamina: 12

And so 340 takes us back to the vault. That's everything in the tunnels: just a whole lot of nothing. We get back out via the safest route, fire up the Dragonfly, and take off for the City of Knowledge. The City of Industry was pretty disappointing, but at least we met a monkey.

Oh, wait a minute. Looks like while wandering around like a dope some other options have opened up.

You are leaving the City of Industry. Where will you go now:

The City of Knowledge? Turn to 361
The City of Pleasure? Turn to 165
The City of the Jungle? Turn to 38
The City of the Guardians? Turn to 1XX

Nore that you may not go to the City of the Guardians unless you have learned the way and know the numbers to substitute for the 'XX.'

Gerad
11-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Knowledge before Pleasure (or Jungle).

Octopus Prime
11-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Learn more about Dinosaurs at your Local Library!

Mogri
11-29-2012, 11:55 AM
C'mon City of Pleasure

gahitsu
11-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Knowledge befo- aww goddamnit.

TE-Ryan
11-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah, Knowledge sound about right. City of Pleasure will be disappointing because all the prostitutes and casino staff will be asleep!

Droewyn
11-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Let's get some learnings.

Kirin
11-30-2012, 11:12 AM
So in the end the only useful things in that whole forsaken city were a Helmet of +1 Robot Fighting, and some robo-repairs that most likely make up for damage you took in the city itself, huh? Flashbacks to the old "empty dead-ends = challenging adventure!" school of design, I guess.

Or a stretched definition of "replay value", as in "next time you'll know what stupid options just hurt you for no possible reward".

Loki
11-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Well the first part is a consequence of American Steve Jackson's lack-luster design. All three of his books are kinda blah. The second though is pretty much what Fighting Fantasy is all about. The series as a whole is designed around discovering the One True Path which nets you everything you need to win while minimizing the amount of bullshit encounters.

In some books this kind of design works really well believe it or not.

Loki
12-01-2012, 01:21 AM
I should have known you nerds would pick books over sexing it up with a sexbot or maybe a Sexasarous-Sex.

You are in the City of Knowledge.

That was fast. We didn't even get to blow up a Stegosarous on the way. :(

Here are all of Thalos's greatest universities and museums. Here, you hope, you will find something to help you in your lone struggle. You have a wide choice of possible destinations within the City of Knowledge. Where will you go:

The College of Medicine? Turn to 54
The Thalian Museum? Turn to 14
The Dinosaur Preserve? Turn to 66
The War College? Turn to 277
Out of the City? Turn to 380

The way I see it, we should start with the College of Medicine and patch up our lost stamina. After that, we'll head over to the War College to look for a robot upgrade. And then we can go slaughter everything in the zoo.

You are at the College of Medicine. This is both the greatest hospital and the greatest medical laborator of your entire nation. You approach cautiously, but see no sign of the Karossean invaders. You leave your robot near the front steps and enter the building. If you seek treatment for your own injuries, turn to 77. If you look for informaton on sleeping sickness, turn to 126.

Let's perform surgery on ourselves!

You turn your steps towards the hospital section of the College of Medicine. Soon you find a mediki, which you may add to your Possessions.

That's it!? This stupid society can build and support giant robots but doesn't have any automated healing capsules? Can't we at least stand in front of an x-ray machine or float around in a chemical diaper bath like Luke Skywalker or something? Medikits: 6

What will you do now?

Continue to search the hospital? Turn to 185
Look for information on sleeping sickness? Turn to 126
Leave the hospital? Turn to 210

I'm kinda weary of searching deeper, but I'm also not satisfied with one measly medikit.

Soon, you spot a sign saying 'SURGERY.' Following it, you see a robot surgeon over a table. But it is marked 'OUT OF ORDER.' If you will try to find what is wrong and repair it, turn to 148. If you leave it along and look for information on sleeping sickness, turn to 126.

Oh man there is no way this isn't going to end in disaster. I love it.

Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 91. If you are Unlucky, turn to 161.

Alright, we have to roll a seven or less to not get slaughtered by an indescriminate surgery bot.

http://i.imgur.com/624F2.gif Lucky! Everytime we test our luck, regardless of outcome, it reduces our Luck score by 1 making it harder to succeed next time. Luck: 6

Fortunately, the problem seems to be nothing worse than a pair of crossed wires. You activate the robot surgeon and tell it you need treatment. Lights blinking and motors humming, it obliges. Restore all lost Stamina points and 1 Luck point. If you now look for information on sleeping sickness, turn to 126. If you leave the building, turn to 210.

Wow! Holy wow. I'm genuinely surprised. Outcomes this nice are super rare in Fighting Fantasy, but I'm not one to kiss a gift horse mouth. Stamina: 20, Luck: 7

For shits here's what would have happened had we failed the roll.

You carefully examine the Robot Surgeon. A pair of wires appears to be crossed. But when you switch them, the machine comes alive and grabs you! If seems to want to remove your appendiz! Lose 1 Stamina point immediately! You must fight the beserk machine.

ROBOT SURGEON
SKILL 6 STAMINA 8

A crazy docbot fight would have been worth the risk too, but I'm still glad we got our health fixed.

I suppose we should do some research seeing as book learning gets you guys all hot and bothered.

You follow signs to the Medical Library. There, amid huge, dusty stacks of books, you begin your search. Finally, in an old textbook, you find a clue to help you. It describes a medicine that - so its says - will instantly cure all types of sleeping sickness. If you will try to compound this medication, turn to 104. If you would rather leave the hospital, turn to 210.

As nice as it is with all those jerks asleep, we really can't turn this opportunity down.

http://i.imgur.com/Oz575.gif

Looking at a hospital map, you see that the Research Lab is not far away. Carrying the book with you, you set off to find it, and soon arrive at a large chemical laboratory. As you walked, you heard strange squeaks and shuffling noises in the hallway, but saw nothing. You are somewhat disturbed to note that there are no sleeping doctors or researchers here! No one is here at all.

OMG the City of Knowlege sold out to the Karosseans! Damn librals!

You bar the lab doors for safety and set to work. Fortunately, the instructions are clear and the lab is well stocked. Eventually, you have a one-litre flask of Blue Potion - all you can make with the materials at hand.

http://i.imgur.com/aBH00.png

Do do do dooooo!

Indeed, from the rarity of the materials you used, you doubt that another litre coule be made in the whole of Thalos! But you also know from the book that one litre would be enough for everyone in Thalos. Nevertheless, there is a problem. The potion is so volatile that once opened, it will quickly evaporate; you cannot awaken people one at a time. You must find a way to treat your whole nation at once! So your quest is not over.

Outside, you hear the strange squeaking once again. If you leave immediately, turn to 394. If you remain in the laboratory, checking your work one last time, turn to 372.

Well gang, I'm going to leave this one to you. Should we double check our notes like a big nerd or should we hightail it and head over to the War College?

Daikaiju
12-01-2012, 04:09 AM
Be fair Loki. You know, deep in your soul ,the City Of Pleasure was a trap.

Go to the War College, I don't want to push our limited luck here any further.

Octopus Prime
12-01-2012, 05:55 AM
That squeaking can only be from a Robosaurus! That's awesome, but terrifying! Run Loki!

Loki
12-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Aha, so, it turns out you encounter the squeeking things either way and by leaving now we miss a vital clue. Sorry guys I'ma have to overrule your decision. I apprciate your prudentness though.

You read through the book one last time... and discover an alarming footnote. One of the ingredients you used was Essence of Man-trap Flower. But, according to the footnote, this essence loses its power over time. It may be that the material you used was weak or even totally worthless! The only way to be absolutely certain of success would be either to find some brand-new essence, or to acquire a fresh Man-trap Flower and it to your flask of potion. But you have no idea where to look for fresh essence, and the flower itself only grows in the deepest jungle. You pack the fragile bottle of Blue Potion carefully, and set out for your robot. Turn to 302.

Looks like a side trip to the jungle city City of Jungle is in order.

As you leave the research labs, you hear once again the strange shuffling and squeaking. You step through a pair of double doors, into a room full of large wire cages. You see that some are opened. Then you realize what the sounds were. The hospital's experimental animals have escaped... and they're hungry! You are facing a trio or red-eyed Giant Lizards.

(also known as "Dinosaurs")

If you fight the creatures, turn to 328. If you turn to flee, turn to 350.

We can try to test our luck to escape without a fight but our luck stat is so crappy I'd rather not waste it. Besides these tiny Giant Lizards are no match for daddy's swurd.

You are facing three Giant Lizards! You back into one corner of the room, so that you may fight them one at a time. You cannot try to Escape until you have slain the first two.

First GIANT LIZARD
SKILL 7 STAMINA 4

Second GIANT LIZARD
SKILL 6 STAMINA 6

Third GIANT LIZARD
SKILL 7 STAMINA 5

If you defeat all three, or if you successfully Escape, turn to 254.

I call the big one 'Bitey.'

Round 1: Lizard 1: http://i.imgur.com/esoEZ.gif Commando: http://i.imgur.com/DmSc8.gif Because these were test lizards I'm going to assume they're all mutated and weird. For example, this one has an arm growing out of its back and also that arm is carrying a club. It doesn't matter though becuase we put our sword in its eye. Lizamina: 2

Round 2: Lizard 1: http://i.imgur.com/XBpis.gif Command: http://i.imgur.com/dey5l.gif We then corkscrew the sword around and pop the lizard's eyeball out and eat it because god damn we are hard core. Lizamina: 0

The second lizard steps up. This one has two heads but one head is kinda dumb, so it's less dangerous than its brothers. It also has two butts though so its also harder to kill.

Round 3: Lizard 2: http://i.imgur.com/C3VCo.gif Commando: http://i.imgur.com/UpzbS.gif We hold up a finger on each hand so that the lizard's two heads each focus on one. Then we cross our arms causing the lizard's head to slam into each other. BONK! Lizamina: 4

Round 4: Lizard 2: http://i.imgur.com/2XCUQ.gif Commando: http://i.imgur.com/jrVr3.gif The lizard jumps forward and gouges out pieces of our ankle and other ankle, and also one of the butts poops on our shoe. Stamina: 18

Round 5: Lizard 2: http://i.imgur.com/Yi4DD.gif Commando: http://i.imgur.com/jjV4J.gif We kick the lizard in one of its faces getting poop all over one of its faces. Tee hee. Lizamina: 2

Round 6: Lizard 2: http://i.imgur.com/bSE3L.gif Commando: http://i.imgur.com/gEFSO.gif We're kinda like a plummer and the lizard is kinda like a turtle, right? What I'm saying here is that we jumped on the lizard. Lizamina: 0

The third lizard has an odd amount of stamina which is always annoying. It looks like the lizard has been grafted to a tec-9. That's annoying too.

Round 7: Lizard 3: http://i.imgur.com/uWYwv.jpg Commando: http://i.imgur.com/EBHrr.jpg However a lizard is too stupid to fire a gun. Why would scientiests even do this? In any case we just walk right up and stab the thing. Lizamina: 3

Round 8: Lizard 3: http://i.imgur.com/o05lW.jpg Commando: http://i.imgur.com/Z29wx.jpg The lizard manages to get a round off, but in entierly the wrong direction. Meanwhile we're just kinda stabbing downwards. Stab stab stab. Lizamina: 1

Final Round: Lizard 3: http://i.imgur.com/mNemg.gif Commando: http://i.imgur.com/NUwbr.jpg Poor creature, we're more than happy to put it out of its missery. We try to take the tec-9 but gosh darn it, its just grafted on too well. Why must scientists be such expert craftsmen? Lizamina: 0

There you go, easy as pie. Certainly worth the effort of uploading all thsoe pictures of dice yes sir.

Near by you hear more squeaking and shuffling. There were many more than three opened cages in the lab. If you search the lab, turn to 276. If you leave the College of Medicine, turn to 210.

I'll honor you guys' wishes now by not tempting fate and skedaddling out of here.

You decide to leave the College of Medicine. You climb back into your trusty robot. Where will you go now?

The War College of course! And maybe, hopefully, finally get a new robot.

The College of War is easy to find; it is a huge five-sided building built all of brick. A robot of unfamiliar design is standing in front of the building. You recognize it as a Karossean military robot. What will you do:

Attack immediately? Turn to 46
Try to pass as one of the invaders? Turn to 87
Leave before you are noticed? Turn to 147

As tempting as sneaking in would be, the last time we fought a robot we were able to scalvage some parts. Death to the Karowhatevers!

You charge to the attack! The Karossean controlling the other robot is caught totally by surprise. Roll two dice and do that much damage to the enemy robot before its pilot can react. If you roll 12, turn to 109. Otherwise, turn to 78, mark off the damage you did, and fight.

Hahahahahahaha! That's what I'm talking about! Come on dice gods, don't be cruel.

http://i.imgur.com/XC6RN.jpg

I won't turn down my nose to that no sir. FssssssssssshBOOM

http://i.imgur.com/8CEkY.jpg

You fight the enemy robot. It is a Myrmidon, the standard Karosseaon combat robot. It has two forms - humanoid and fighter-plane. This one is humanoid form and will not be able to change itself during the battle.

MYRMIDON
ARMOUR 12 SPEED Medium SKILL 10
SPECIAL ABILITIES None

If you reduce the enemy's Armour to 0, turn to 109
If your own Armour is reduced to 0, turn to 133.

With the helmet and the Dragonfly's speed our Skill for this battle is 12.

Final Round: Myrmidon: http://i.imgur.com/qZ6ID.jpg Dragonfly: http://i.imgur.com/YjRTe.gif Of course, after that opening volley, this is just clean up. Pew pew pew boom. Armour 0

The enemy robot falls, blasted to scrap. There is no sign of its pilot. If you want to examine the fallen robot more carefully, turn to 155. If you want to ignore it and enter the War College, turn to 65.

I told you guys there would be ripe plunder.

You examine the smashed robot. Inside, you see its pilot; he does not appear to be wounded. But as you reach a metal claw towards his bubble, he stabs at a control. His machine self-destructs! Your own robot is thrown back several meters and you are shaken up: lose 2 Armour points and 2 Stamina points. If your Armour has been reduced to 0, turn to 61. Otherwise, turn to 65.

Ah, such is the price of avrice. Armour 3 Stamina 16

You park your robot beside the door and enter the College of War. You are alert for other Karosseans, but apparently the sentry outside was the only one. The halls and rooms are littered with beribboned generals, fast asleep.

Following the signs, you head for the library to see what you can learn. But, just as you get there, you hear a roaring sound from outside. Looking out of the window, you see three sleek fighter-planes hurtle down, sprout legs and turn into robots like the sentry outside! The Karosseans are arriving in force!

You quickly look around the room. There are several volumes on the counter, as though someone was trying to check them out just before the sleeping sickness hit. The books are too large to carry, and you have time to look at only one. Which title will you choose?

The City of the Guardians? Turn to 256
Emergency Procedures? Turn to 300
Karossean Military Robots Turn to 268

Come now, we can't carry three books? This reeks of contrivance. Anyway, here's the knowledge you nerds were so desperate for. Whatcha book you gunna read?

Octopus Prime
12-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Well, there was that foot note about not going t the City of Guardians until you know a thing or two about it, so get tha one.

The only Emergenc Maneuver you need is "Punch Dinosaur in Face" and, based on previous encounters, all the Bad Guy Robots suck at fighting.

Mogri
12-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Dinosaurs ain't gonna punch their own faces

(their arms are too short)

Loki
01-04-2013, 05:17 AM
Have I really not updated this in a month? Sorry fellas, I don't know what happened (Christmas happened). Now that the tree has been tossed over the balcony and dragged to the dumpster we can resume our sacred quest to kill some fucking dinosaurs already.

Alright so we're in this library I guess and Octo wanted to read a book I guess. Here is the book.

The book gives you the location of the City of the Guardians, the secret base that is the headquarters of the army of Thalos. The map reference is 22. Make a note of this number. Substitute it for 'XX' when you are given the option to visit the City of the Guardians. You may find another use for the map reference, as well. For now, of course, you must deal with the Karosseans outside the building you are in. Turn to 368.

Well Octo you did it. Now everyone knows the location of the secret city that no one knew was there despite it being a city.

You realize that you must leave quickly. Looking outside, you see that the Karosseans have entered the building. The fools have left their robots outside and unguarded, parked near yours. You spring out the window and run for them. If you get back into your own robot, turn to 322. If you get into a Karossean robot instead, turn to 245.

Well dang, I was planing on a nice meaty update but then those fools had to be all foolish. This is a pretty significant choice. Let's review.

Right now our Dragonfly is all ship-shape with a stamina of 5 thanks to a giant monkey. It's also got a missle attached for a one-time big hit and it's fast and what with our special helmet it's respectable in battle as well. But that low top stamina is worrisome. A couple of hits and this thing is trashed.

The Karossean robot is a mystery but up to this point they've kinda sucked kinda. Then again a new robot is what we've been looking for this whole time and it seems a shame to pass up an oppertunity to steal the Karossean's ride right from under their foolish noses.

I put it to you Choosing Time. It is time to choose.

Octopus Prime
01-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Your Dragonfly tends to wreck the Badguy robots, and the Dragonfly sucks, so... might as well stick with it.

Daikaiju
01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Dragonfly. Go to the City Of The Guardians and it's secret army! Secret Robots are the Best Robots.

TE-Ryan
01-04-2013, 01:58 PM
I concur. The Dragonfly has pulled its weight pretty well so far. Turn to 322.

Sporophyte
01-04-2013, 09:21 PM
The enemy robots are probably locked anyways. I mean these chuckleheads are stupid, but surely not that stupid.

Dragonfly.

Kirin
01-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Oh, they're stupid, but their stupidity is no match for the book's desire to screw the player over if past encounters are any indication. The enemy mech would probably blow up as soon as we turned the ignition...

Loki
01-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Ahahahaah erased two hours of transcription erased thanks vbulletin ahahahaahahahahahahaahau

Loki
01-07-2013, 05:13 AM

You reach for the controls. The enemy pilots are still not in sight. If you want to try to destor the other robots, turn to 381. If you just want to leave, turn to 399.

Since vBulliten decided to eat my post yesterday I'm going to take the opertunity to cheat. See, this looks like a good choice. Sneak into your ship, blow up some defenseless robots. As you would expect, the book pulls a huge dick move. Just look at this shit.

Without pilots, the other robots are defenceless. Your own machine quickly hammers them into junk. But as you attack the last one, it fights back! Evidently it was left on autopilot. Your own robot loses 3 Armour points beore you can destory that last foe.

Three points! Autopilot! Not even a chance to fight back! That's the dickest dick move in a book full of them. The only thing worse would be an insta-death. This just feels sour and despite losing all of yesterday's work I'm glad to have an opertunity to avoid it.

You speed away. Behind you, the Karossean pilots come charging out of the building, heading for their robots. But you know the city better than they do; though they hunt for you, your head start is enough to see you safely away. But you have lost part of the advantage of surprise; the Karosseans now knwo that at least one person remains awake to oppose their scheme. Turn to 147.

You are leaving the College of War. Where will you go:

The College of Medicine? Turn to 54
The Thalian Museum? Turn to 14
The Dinosaur Preserve? Turn to 66
Another city? Turn to 380

I chose the museum yesterday on the basis that our beat up Dragonfly wouldn't be good to bring itno the Preseve. Now that's not an issue, but we're going to the museum anyway because it's just so much transcribing things twice.

You stay in your robot and travel to the huge Thalian Museum. This is the largest museum in all the land; it is full of exxhibits on every imaginable subject. If you have been here before turn to 160. If not, continue reading.

As you approach the museum, you keep a sharp watch, but you see no enemies. When you arive, you park your robot in front of the building and walk up the steps, past a pair of carved stone dragons. The museum attendant is snoring, but the little Information Robot is alert. 'Can I help you?' it asks. What will you do?

Ask for military information? Turn to 36
Ask for information on sleeping sickness? Turn to 80
Ask for information on the Karosseans? Turn to 58
Leave? 102

Military

'Well, that depends on what kind of information you need. Modern military information is classified, and you would have to ask at the War College Historical military information is in Hall Beta. We have some wonderful exhibits.' If you go to Hall Beta to look at the military exhibits, turn to 146.

Sickness

'I'm sorry,' replies the Information Robot. 'We have a general medical display in Hall Omicro, but for the kind of specific information you want, you would need to inquire at a hospital, or at the College of Medicine.'

Karosseans

'Oh, very good,' the little robot responds. 'We have a wonderful echibition on Karossean history and culture in Hall Epsilon.' If ou go to Hall Epsilon to study Karossean history, turn to 124.

That sounds good! We've been fighting these dudes the whole time and we don't even know what they are: another country? Invading aliens? Sentient robots? Some book learning on these guys is just what we need.

You make your way to Hall Epsilon. The trip is a long one, and several times you hear ood, echoing sounds. You realize that you are not alone in the building! You press on, and find the exhibition on the history of the Karosseans. Studying it briefly, you see that it has nothing to do with their military abilites; it is all about their culture and customs. It will take an hour to study the material: if you want to do so, turn to 180. If you return to the front desk, turn to 224.

Look, we didn't come all this way not to stare at a diarama. Fill us up with knowledge!

Just as you are ready to give up, you stumble across an interesting book the duelling customs of the Karosseans. Apparently the ancient Karosseans would settle a tribal dispute b choosing champions-one from each tribe-instead of allowing a battle between whole tribes. The reference number of the book is 111. Make a note of this and turn to 224.

That's all well and good I guess but we still don't know who these guys are. I may be going out on a limb here but I think Jackson may have written a shitty book.

You leave the military display and take a short cut through a hallway overlooking a huge gallery. As you look down, you are surprised to see devasation! A huge area of exhibits has been demolished. Two black-clad Karosseans soldiers are lying there, dead or wounded, and trail of devastation leads right through a huge hole in the wall. You hear shouts from below. If you would like to go down and investigate, tuen to 374. If you would rather avoid the area and head back towards he information desk, turn to 14.

I can't think of any reason not to go down.

You find a stairway and head down. You find that both the Karosseans are dead. One was about your size; you quickly srip off his uniform and put it on yourself. It may come in handy later! You check the signs. The demolished exhibit was labelled 'Tyrannosaurus'. The shouts outside are coming closer, so you duck out of a convenient door and return to the front desk. Turn to 14.

What is the book trying to imply here? This isn't a zoo or preserve. It's a museum. Presumably, there's no live exhibits. Did the Karosseans somehow bring a T-Rex skeleton to life which then turned on them? Nevermind the how, why would they do that when there's plenty of perfectly good T-Rexes wandering about. I don't get this at all.

Anyway, on to the Military exhibit. Maybe there we can learn how to use this crazy father's sword.

Hall Beta proves to be a long walk away, through great shadowed corridors. You soon realize that you are lost. Eventually you come to a curtained exhibit-room. The sign over the door reads 'Favours of Fortune'. But inside, you hear stange sounds-like something large moving about. If you enter, turn to 202. If you go on past, turn to 168.

What should we do? Do we risk fighting a something for some favorable fortunes, or should we just say "nuts to that!" and continue wandering about like a moron?

TE-Ryan
01-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Last time you heard strange rumblin's it was a friendly ape that gave you a power-up. Obviously that will happen twice.

Loki
01-08-2013, 04:20 AM
TE you fool!

To your relief, the sounds you heard were merely the snoring of a very fat man, asleep in a chair. The room is dedicated to exhibits having to do with good and bad luck. You pause to look around. Then your eye is drawn by a display-case at the far end of the room. It must be important-there were two guards besides it! There are still there, fast asleep.

The case contains a jewelled necklace, rather crudely made. But according to the sign on the case, it is a genuine, scientifically proved good-luck charm. This looks as thought it might be worth borrowing! You open the case and take the Luck Amulet. Somewhere, you hear an alarm go off, so you hurry away. But the charm is real. Increase your Luck score (and your Inital Luck) by 1. You go on towards Hall Beta. Turn to 168.

Scientifically proven? How exactly?

Still, this is huge. Boosts to inital scores almost never happen in Fighting Fantasy. And to luck too! Just the stat we needed it in.

http://i.imgur.com/rhRxB.jpg

Luck = 8

You continue on your way towards Hall Beta and the military exhibition. When you arrive, it proves to be ancient history. The strange sounds from the building are making you nervous, and you have no desire to read about catapuls and other ancient devices. You go back to the main desk. Return to 14.

What no! I love reading about catapults. They should build a robot catapult they should.

Okay so front desk, leave musuem, reference 102.

If you posses an Amulet, turn immediately to 250.

Whatoh.

You wave to the robot and start to leave... but as you do, alarms go off and lights flash. 'I'm very sorry,' says the robot, 'but museum propert has been removed without authorization. You cannot leave.' Its metal arms reach out towards you. Roll two dice. If the number you roll is less than or equal to your skill, turn to 272. Otherwise, turn to 294.

Gotta roll a 10 or less.

http://i.imgur.com/H6lUi.gif

Ha! No infobot's going to stop us.

You dodge underneath the mechanical arms with which it is trying to stop you, and through the door. You quickly climb into the control seat of your robot. Turn to 396.

Some security system.

Achivement: Muesum Caper complete!

You are leaving the Thalian Museum. Where would you like to go now?

There is only one place we would ever want to do. TO THE DINOSAUR PRESERVE!

You are at the enterance to the Dinosaur Preserve, where some of the wildest and most vicious creatures of all Thalos are kept for study. If you have already been here, turn to 189. Otherwise, keep reading.

An electro-fence keeps the creatures from rampaging out. On your side of the fence is cool green grass; on the other side is rank jungle. Also on your side of the fence are two buildings: the Administrative Building, and a huge, unmarked, barn-like structure. What will you do:

Leave your robot and go to the Administrative Building? Turn to 85
Leave your robot and go to the other building? Turn to 171
Stay in your robot and cross the electro-fence? Turn to 129
Leave the Dinosaur Preseve? Turn to 150

Okay so they go Jurassic Park right in the middle of their city I mean hey man that's cool aint got no problems with that.

And a giant barn you say? What could be in that barn? Surely not a new kickass robot for dino wranglin.

If you have already opened this building, turn immediately to 231. Otherwise, keep reading. You walk around the barn-like building and examine it. The walls are built of heavy metal, and the only door you can find is huge. A sign on the door reads, 'DANGER! KEPEP OUT!' What will you do:

Open the door? Turn to 212
Go to the Administ-

Blah blah blah blah OPEN THE DOOR.

You have a hunch that the barn-link door may contain something of importance. But the door is far too heave fo ryou to budge. Getting back into your robot, you use its strength to slide open the door. Inside you see more robots! Turn to 9.

The strength of dragonfly that is.

There are several robots here, all identical. They are similar to the Cowboy Robot that you used on your ranch, but more heavily armed and armoured, for use against the largest dinosaurs. These Super-Cowboy Robots move by walking. Each has weapons almost as powerful as those of a war robot.

SUPER-COWBOY ROBOT
ARMOUR 14 SPEED Medium
COMBAT BONUS +1
SPECIAL ABILITES This robot carries a 'Sonic Screamer' weapon designed to distract dinosaurs. Reduce the skill of any enemy dinosaur by 1 when you fight it in the Super-Cowboy. Unfortunetly, this special weapon is no use against other robots.

You may take one of these robots if you like. If you had a robot already, make a note this is where you left it.

Well guys, should we saddle up?

Kirin
01-08-2013, 09:22 AM
I've forgotten what the stats on our flier are. I'm sure this would be a big armor upgrade, but +1 combat doesn't sound like super-impressive war robot material... and we have that missile on our current one.

Though obviously its bonus would be helpful here in the dino preserve. I wonder what the chances are the game would let us swap back later if we wanted without being a dick about it.

Loki
01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Armour 5 Speed Very Fast Specal has that missile.

Mr Bean
01-08-2013, 09:59 PM
It's a robot made to punch dinosaurs. How could we possible pass that up?

TE-Ryan
01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
TE you fool!

I honestly expected that to end in hilarious catastrophe.

There isn't really a choice here, is there? I was under the impression that driving a Super-Cowboy Robot and cracking dinosaur skulls was the whole point of this book.

Admittedly, the pack rat in me is feeling really bad about abandoning that missile.

Mogri
01-10-2013, 01:46 PM
+ Armor
+ Punching
- No missile
- Not fast

I'm torn :(

Octopus Prime
01-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Dinosaur!

Punching!

Daikaiju
01-13-2013, 07:33 AM
Didn't it say earlier the missle could be reattached to other robots?