PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

Umby
02-24-2013, 10:10 PM
My old Skullcandy 50/50 headphones just broke after a whole year of use. RIP headphones.

Also, my birthday is coming up, and I wanted to purchase some nice new headphones for myself. Any recommendations? Price range can go between $50-$150, perhaps, but if you really think some headphones are awesome a little above that price range I'd think about it.

I assume you can also talk about just headphones in general in this thread.

CaptBlasto
02-25-2013, 06:49 AM
What kind of headphones are you looking for? There are a few types: Earbuds (that's the style that come with iPods), IEMs (The ones that fit into your ear, have rubber/foam tips on them), Circumaural (Your entire ear fits inside the pad of the headphone), and Supra-aural (The headphone pad sits on top of your ear)

Supra-aural and Circumaural also come in two types, Open and Closed. Open headphones let sound in and out, so if you are planning on using them with roommates around or in a busy area, they are not recommended. Closed are better at keeping the sound contained, but they present a different sound.

Here is a great guide for headphones from Head-Fi that goes over this stuff in more detail, and has some great suggestions for all price ranges: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

xyzzy
02-25-2013, 07:57 AM
My favorite headphones are Koss Porta Pros. They are very comfortable and have a pretty neutral frequency response. I find the bass to be healthy, but not overly boosted like the Dr Dre Beats style headphones.

They retail at around $50 and sell normally at $40 dropping down to $30 every once in a while. They're also backed by Koss's lifetime warranty, so you can send them back with $6 and get them fixed. I own a few pairs because I use them so much.

I'd say they are very competitve in their price range and recommend them to everyone I know.

Rosencrantz
02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
My favorite headphones are Koss Porta Pros. They are very comfortable and have a pretty neutral frequency response. I find the bass to be healthy, but not overly boosted like the Dr Dre Beats style headphones.

They retail at around $50 and sell normally at $40 dropping down to $30 every once in a while. They're also backed by Koss's lifetime warranty, so you can send them back with $6 and get them fixed. I own a few pairs because I use them so much.

I'd say they are very competitve in their price range and recommend them to everyone I know.

I got a pair of these almost two years ago and I love them. Very comfortable to wear, great sound quality, great price. I'm still afraid that I might break them, though.

Behemoth
02-25-2013, 08:32 AM

I'll throw in another recommendation for the Porta Pros. I got mine for like $35 on Amazon, and they're pretty great.

ajr82
02-25-2013, 08:39 AM
I'd really highly recommend the Sennheiser PX-100 II (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-100-II-Ear-Miniheadphone-Black/dp/B002VPDOH8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361810260&sr=1-1&keywords=PX-100). Really great sound, and they fold up like a pair of sunglasses to make them easier to carry. They also make a variant (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-100-II-Supra-Aural-Headset/dp/B003WV8PKG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361810260&sr=1-3&keywords=PX-100) with a 3-button control and microphone for iPhones.

Falselogic
02-25-2013, 10:42 AM
I use the cheap ones that came with my ipod.

Vega
02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
I use the Koss UR-40 around-ears for home use and the JVC Gumy earbuds for outdoor use. I haven't listened to a huge number of other headphones for comparison, but for me these two are comfortable, nice sounding and affordable.

My only problem with the Gumys is their flimsy connector. I wish they had a right-angle connector that could better withstand all the tumbling that my iPod does in my pocket. Can anybody recommend earbuds with a right-angle connector?

periodical
02-26-2013, 03:42 PM
I've recently swapped out my AKG K240s (which are great headphones) for some ATH AD700s, which are also great but way more open-sounding and easy to wear for hours on end. Both can be had for 70-90, or you can hit up the classifieds at head-fi for some used deals.

Rosencrantz
02-26-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm still afraid that I might break them, though.

I guess I jinxed myself: the wires next to the connector on my Koss Porta Pros are becoming exposed and it looks like they might snap off at any time. :(

ajr82
02-26-2013, 08:20 PM
I'd also say that with Sennheiser, I've never had any sort of problem returning things for warranty purposes.

Meditative_Zebra
02-27-2013, 01:35 AM
I own a pair of Sony MDR V-6 cans and they're great. They'll run you about $70 but they'll last you decades on end if you take care of them. Those are kind of home studio cans, though. For portable usage I've heard good things about the Koss Porta-Pros listed above. I personally use a pair of Klipsch in-ear phones that I can carry around in my pocket wherever I go.

If you want a bit broader advice check out the Head-Fi forums͵ specifically their comprehensive guide (http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide). EDIT: This is the same link Cpt Blasto linked above.

Patrick
02-27-2013, 07:30 AM
I own a pair of Sony MDR V-6 cans and they're great. They'll run you about $70 but they'll last you decades on end if you take care of them.

My roommate and I both have these as well, and both of us swear by them.

I had a pair of cheap Sony earbuds, but they went through the wash recently. I started shopping for a new pair, but decided that I should try out the new Apple earbuds that came with my iPhone 5 instead. The cord is slightly too short to use with my work setup, but the sound is excellent. They are a huge improvement over the old cheap ones Apple used to include.

CaptBlasto
02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
I own a pair of Sony MDR V-6 cans and they're great. They'll run you about $70 but they'll last you decades on end if you take care of them.

I have extensively used a pair of Sony MDR-7506 (Just a slightly different model of the MDR V-6) and I really liked them as well.

For IEMs, I have a pair of MEElectronics M9s, which are not that good, but for a cheap pair of workout headphones, they get the job done.

Meditative_Zebra
02-27-2013, 08:15 PM
P.S. Beats headphones are terrible. And yes, I have heard them and therefore I know that a decent pair of $50 headphones is at least as good as the $300 Beats. If you buy a pair of Beats headphones you are paying $50 for the headphones and $250 so that people will think you're part of the "In" crowd.

The Raider Dr. Jones
02-27-2013, 08:23 PM
the Beats By Dre shit mystifies me. How do you spend two hundred fifty bucks on a pair of cans that you are not in turn using to make a living?

I mean, even if you're just looking for a fashion accessory, it seems like a pretty inefficient use of your impressing-your-fellow-jagoffs budget. You could get two brand-new pairs of Jordans for that kinda money.

Meditative_Zebra
02-27-2013, 08:50 PM
You couldn't even use Beats headphones in the studio because the sound they produce is too colored and would ruin the mix. Odds are if you're in a studio that the headphones that you'll actually see are the Sony MDR-7506 CaptBlasto mentioned above and those things are less than a hundred bucks compared to the Beats $300 price tag.

Mazian
02-27-2013, 09:04 PM
My only problem with the Gumys is their flimsy connector. I wish they had a right-angle connector that could better withstand all the tumbling that my iPod does in my pocket. Can anybody recommend earbuds with a right-angle connector?

I adore my pair of Shure SE215 earbuds, and they have a beefy right-angle connector, but at $100 they are admittedly not cheap. As a bonus, the cable detaches from the buds themselves and can be replaced separately. The foam tips make for marvelous external sound isolation in noisy environments, and since I spent far too much of my time traveling, they're well worth it to me. It also means I can keep the volume set significantly lower than I would with most earbuds.

Zef
03-06-2013, 08:48 PM
P.S. Beats headphones are terrible. And yes, I have heard them and therefore I know that a decent pair of $50 headphones is at least as good as the $300 Beats. If you buy a pair of Beats headphones you are paying $50 for the headphones and $250 so that people will think you're part of the "In" crowd.

I was at Brookstone a few days ago waiting for a flight, and I tested out my beloved 20-buck Sony earbuds (http://amzn.com/B004RE3YU8)* against two sets of Urban Ears and three sets of Beats (one in-ear and two outers.) The Urban Ears Plattan were pretty damn awesome**, and on sale, even! The much pricier Zinken were so-so, but their primary flaw was that the frame was too loose and didn't press the earpieces tight enough to my ears, so a lot of ambient sound slipped in anyway. But the Beats? Awful. The earbuds hurt and the bass was boosted so severely even my iPod's equalizer was no match for it. The on-ear sets, one for 200 and the other for 250, were basically subwoofers, drowning out the fine details of the music with the thump-thump-thump of the percussion.

* These made me hear instruments I had never heard before in music I had listened to a thousand times. They're discreet and soft and perfect for walking.
** These are my new choice for sedentary music-listening. I'd never wear on-ear headphones out on the street, but these are really, really good, have great sound isolation, and (naturally) a lot more depth than my Sony buds, so I'm hearing even more instruments waaaaay out in the background. I'm rediscovering my entire collection thanks to these.

teg
03-07-2013, 04:27 AM
I use the cheap ones that came with my ipod.
Have you priced those things lately?

I've been using a set of Sennheiser HD 435s (http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/581/160) for four or five years now. The sound is great and the cord (the part that always breaks on me with every set of headphones I get) is completely replaceable. I bought a replacement cable and put a three year warranty on it, so I've saved a ton of money as a result.

Also, don't go with Skullcandy. They have an excellent warranty, but they often just buy up the rights for substandard to middling headphones that are no longer produced, tack a bunch of needless crap on them, and jack up the price. I've found their build quality to be extremely lacking, too.

taosterman
05-14-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm getting sick of earbuds' tendency to clog with wax, but over-the-ear ones always end up breaking in my bag. Anyone have any suggestions for a brand that folds up easily while not letting too much sound escape?

John
05-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Kinivo BTH220's (http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTH220-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B005LKB0IU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368548535&sr=8-1&keywords=kinivo+bth220) are some bluetooth on top of ear phones that fold up pretty good. Cheap, great range, sounds decent, great battery life.

ajr82
05-14-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm getting sick of earbuds' tendency to clog with wax, but over-the-ear ones always end up breaking in my bag. Anyone have any suggestions for a brand that folds up easily while not letting too much sound escape?

You want the Sennheiser PX-200ii (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-200-II-Headphones/dp/B002VPDOHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368550690&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+px+200-ii).

Zef
10-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Looking for recommendations for wireless headphones to hook up to a game console/TV/home theater. I've never owned, much less used a pair, so I don't know what to look for. I'm using these 926MHz Sennheisers (http://amzn.com/B0001FTVEK) as the standard, though I'd like to find something cheaper. Is RCA the best input type for this kind of headphones?

(Alternately, I could just use a transmitter/receiver that I could hook up my Urban Ears to.)

boot101
10-08-2013, 02:42 AM
I really like my official PS3 wireless headphones. They work awesome with my PS3 obviously, but I use them mostly on my PC. I've never tried them on my 360, so I don't know if they work or not.

The sound is really good, and they have virtual 5.1, which sounds amazing to my admittedly amateur ears.

Mokrap of Croton
10-08-2013, 02:13 PM
I'll throw in another recommendation for the Porta Pros. I got mine for like $35 on Amazon, and they're pretty great.

Yes! I love those things. The sound quality is rich and the bass is deep. They are way more awesome than they look like they would be. They're also great for wearing while exercising/walking/whatever, but good enough for sitting around times, too.

Obviously some expensive top-flight cans will beat them, but for the price and the weight, they're ace.

Scypho
10-08-2013, 05:20 PM
I had a great pair of Sony JVC cans that lasted me two years before breaking down; we held a funeral. They were my best friend.

I've been through two pairs of cheap headphones so far, and I'm wondering what you guys' suggestions are for durable closed headphones for home use.

Mokrap of Croton
10-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I've had some Koss UR 40s for quite some time. They sound good, are light, and were fairly cheap (I think like 35 or 40 bucks).

They don't stand up too well to being thrown angrily against a wall, but I had no problems with them until that happened.

KCar
10-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for budget noise-cancelling headphones? My GF works is a buzzy office, and complains that she's constantly distracted. She's used her boss' Bose pair, but you know. Bose. I'd love to get her something to make her day to day better for less than a hundo.

pointzeroeight
10-09-2013, 08:07 AM
I used to use a pretty decent (I thought) JVC in-ear set, then I lost one of the tips on the bus and I can't find my replacements. Been looking to get replacements, although I'm not sure if I should get two sets, one for gym and one for not.

Shagohod
10-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for budget noise-cancelling headphones? My GF works is a buzzy office, and complains that she's constantly distracted. She's used her boss' Bose pair, but you know. Bose. I'd love to get her something to make her day to day better for less than a hundo.

The absolute cheapest option is to get a cheap/decent set of earbuds and some of those ear mufflers that hunters use. Just put the mufflers on over the buds

Patrick
10-09-2013, 09:47 AM
I use Sony MDR V6 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ)s and I love them. They aren't wireless, but they do have a super long cord.

taosterman
10-09-2013, 10:21 AM

I inherited a set of $300 Bose noise-canceling headphones from my wife's ridiculous company holiday gift one year, and one of the channels just stopped working after like half a year. Do not like!

CaptBlasto
10-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Has she tried using the in ear style of headphones? They call them "noise isolating" now, but it might block out enough of the buzz to make it worthwhile. You can get decent pairs for under $50 in some cases. That style might be worth trying out; if they don't end up working you would just have an extra pair of headphones. If you have already tried this my apologies.