PDA

View Full Version : VC 6/11: Lode Runner, Golden Axe and a lode of another kind.

Excitemike
06-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Lode Runner® (NES®, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): This landmark action-puzzle game has been a worldwide fixture in video games from the moment of its inception until today, producing many sequels and related products along the way. The player controls the hero, or "Runner," who collects gold nuggets located around every stage, all the while avoiding capture by enemy robots. The action itself is simple, but the stages are designed as increasingly challenging puzzles, and none of the 50 stages is as easy as it seems. The Runner avoids enemies by digging holes in the floor to the right and left of his position—by doing this, he can clear a path to places that, at first glance, seem unreachable. Players must use their brains to collect all the gold nuggets in every puzzling stage if they want to escape to the next. In addition to normal play, this version of the game features an Edit Mode that allows players to design their own stages, adding a new level of enjoyment to the game.

Sonic the Hedgehog™ 2 (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Dr. Eggman (aka Dr. Robotnik) is back to continue his zealous search for the Chaos Emeralds needed to fuel his new Death Egg contraption. The evil doctor secretly follows Sonic to his vacation spot, Westside Island, and launches a full-scale attack, imprisoning all the helpless animals of the island and turning them into mindless worker drones. Now Sonic must thwart the doctor's plans at all costs. This time he isn't alone, as a peculiar two-tailed fox named Miles Prower (aka Tails) decides to aid him in the battle. Together they must locate the Chaos Emeralds before Dr. Eggman does, and put an end to his diabolical scheme.

Golden Axe™ II (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older – Fantasy Violence, 800 Wii Points): Not long after the devastating reign of the wicked Death Adder, another evil arose. Dark Guld and his minions invaded and took hold of the prized Golden Axe with plans to destroy it. Once again, as a fierce barbarian named Ax-Battler, a fearless female Amazon known as Tyris-Flare or a ferocious dwarf named Gilius Thunderhead, you will wield steely swords and powerful magic in an all-out war to recover the sword. Once you slash your way through the six side-scrolling levels, you'll get the chance to defeat Dark Guld once and for all.

Didn't we just get a version of Lode Runner? I'll always remember that game as it was meant to be played: On a Macintosh II with ghost lines burnt into the screen. And Golden Axe was a great arcade game, but I never played the console version. I wonder if it's as awesome as Altered Beast?

I have very fond memories of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but even through the nostalgic fog I can remember how buggy the game was. I played it recently and it was like a slap in the face. The game was just too fast for it's own good, and it saddens me to reveal this to you: This was where the Sonic series started to go wrong. They got one game right and then placed the burden of a franchise on his small, spiny back. I just want a fast moving platformer, I don't need a tag-along or some psuedo 3D. I don't need cartidges that plug into each other (they turned that console into a lego set), and I definitely don't need to play Sonic 2 with Knuckles. It's not a horrible game but considering it's pedigree I believe it has to be held to a higher standard. If you are looking for something to compliment Ristar, go ahead. As a rival for Super Mario World it is a disapointment.

nathan
06-11-2007, 07:30 AM
I was almost sure Paper Mario was going to be this week. Oh well...

Torgo
06-11-2007, 07:32 AM
The Golden Axe console versions still hold up pretty well, actually... if you got a buddy to play with. Or if you don't mind solitary play. I'm personally fine with solo (if only by necessity), which means Golden Axe 2 will probably be an eventuality for me.

Sonic 2... besides already having it on the Sonic Mega Collection, no. Just no.

Filler + twenty extra bucks of revenue from people who don't know better = Lode Runner.

Not that I'm one to talk, considering I bought Street Fighter knowing full well that the other two SNES versions are going to come eventually. Turbo has already been rated by the ESRB.

ArugulaZ
06-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Paper Mario STILL isn't out? That IS a load. Of the pant, rather than the mother variety.

JR

Torgo
06-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Or the Running variety.

ProfessorS
06-11-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm surprised by all the Sonic 2 hate. It's a good game people! And the series didn't really start to go downhill until Sonic Adventure 2. ADMIT IT.

Balrog
06-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I thought Sonic 2 was the best one of the series.

Torgo
06-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Sonic 2 the game is fine. Sonic 2 the last boss is, without hyperbole, one of the most mind-numbing exercises in frustration I've ever experienced in a game.

It's no Gate, but still...

Kishi
06-11-2007, 09:21 AM
This was where the Sonic series started to go wrong. They got one game right and then placed the burden of a franchise on his small, spiny back. I just want a fast moving platformer, I don't need a tag-along or some psuedo 3D.

At the time of Sonic 2, the tag-along was little more than a charming cosmetic touch. And Sonic 1 already had "pseudo 3D." Take a look at the Green Hill Zone some time.

Really, Sonic 2 was a perfect sequel to the original. Everything from the physics to the level design was refined to near-perfection and kicked up three layers of intensity--all without compromising the basic aspects that gave the first game so much potential. It's even one of the very few Genesis games whose graphics aren't a complete eyesore.

Coinspinner
06-11-2007, 09:34 AM
I dunno, I liked all the other Sonic games on Genesis better than the first. Well, besides Spinball. Lock-On tech was awesome. I do remember getting stuck inside the walls of loop-the-loops though I don't think a bug ever did worse than kill my speed.

shivam
06-11-2007, 09:38 AM
i love sonic 2 to death. It had a fantastic soundtrack, and really fun, well designed levels, and the transformation to super sonic was entirely new to me, since i didnt discover Dragonball for years after. I loved the chaos emerald pipes, and the oil zone, and the incredible melancholy i felt in the zone where (as super) you fly in front of tails' biplane.

Sonic 2 is still my favorite platformer of all time.

Coinspinner
06-11-2007, 09:40 AM
At the time of Sonic 2, the tag-along was little more than a charming cosmetic touch. And Sonic 1 already had "pseudo 3D." Take a look at the Green Hill Zone some time.

Really, Sonic 2 was a perfect sequel to the original. Everything from the physics to the level design was refined to near-perfection and kicked up three layers of intensity--all without compromising the basic aspects that gave the first game so much potential. It's even one of the very few Genesis games whose graphics aren't a complete eyesore.

I think "pseudo-3d" means the bonus stages. Sonic 2's halfpipe and 3&K's "Get Blue Spheres". I didn't mind way back then, but now they're a chore.

Dart Zaidyer
06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Of all the million-and-one flavors of Lode Runner, the only Lode Runner for me will be "Lode Runner: The Legend Returns" made by Sierra for PC, with its vibrant and delicious hi-color graphics, 150 levels, CD music and built-in editor. You can't beat that, not even for five dollars. Er, ten. Wasn't there another Lode Runner VC release some weeks ago?

Kishi
06-11-2007, 09:50 AM
The bonus stages in Sonic 2 were always a chore to me. I think it's just about impossible to collect all the Emeralds unless you play without Tails.

"Collect Blue Spheres," though? With its grid-based movement and the outline-tracing mechanic, that stuff's fun even today.

shivam
06-11-2007, 09:53 AM
i loved sonic 2&k. playing those levels as knuckles was just damn good fun. Sonic1&k, with that collect spheres game, was also a lot of fun, and still is today.

Sonic2's half pipe--i enjoyed it because my cousin and I would play it together, so it was great co-op back when i only had ostentatiously 1p games.

JCDenton
06-11-2007, 10:30 AM
I have some very fond memories of Sonic 2. I'm not the biggest fan of the original, but the inclusion of the spin dash and improved level design make the sequel awesome. The gameplay, graphics and sound all hold up today. If I didn't already have Mega Collection I would jump on this.

alexb
06-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Sonic 2 is great. For the first four or five zones. But the rest of the game becomes tedious. You've seen all there is to see in terms of game mechanics and it just gets cheaper and cheaper, not to mention uglier and uglier, as you press on. Great music, though. Speaking of the halfpipe levels in Sonic 2, they get this mechanic right in Sonic Rush. Basically the same setup, but done in real 3D with a respectable draw distance and no Tails. You move Sonic by dragging the stylus across the bottom half of the screen. Actually a very good implementation of the stylus, if you can believe it. And it has awesome music, too. Really, if you want some Sonic, don't spend $8 on a game that's be released in much more economical packages for years. Go to EB and see if they've got a copy. If they're still having that sale, you can get Sonic Rush for like $15.

Squall
06-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Sonic 2 is useless unless they somehow find a way to use Sonic and Knuckles on Sonic 2 through Virtual Console.
Also, yes, Sonic Rush had the most kicking soundtrack on DS. Woot for the Jet Set Radio dude.

shivam
06-11-2007, 11:29 AM
the stupid cat really wrecked my enjoyment of sonic rush.

alexb
06-11-2007, 11:37 AM
How so? I haven't done much with her yet.

shivam
06-11-2007, 11:51 AM
she's super slow. i dont play sonic for slow.

Sporophyte
06-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Blaze never really felt that slow to me. Maybe it was just because I had played through the game as sonic first, but I tore through it with Blaze. The extra boost Jump blaze has makes it really easy to go places Sonic never could and just short cut through.

BrianC
06-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Sonic 2's final boss is one of the most frustrating in all of the series. It's even worse when you're playing with Knuckles and his low jump. Oh and by the way you never need to have Tails tag along with you in Sonic 2- you can go to the options and choose "Sonic Only". It makes the half-pipe stages a lot less tedious.

shivam
06-11-2007, 12:31 PM
i much preferred to play as tails only, personally.

Lumber Baron
06-11-2007, 12:36 PM
True dat homes.

nadia
06-11-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm surprised by all the Sonic 2 hate. It's a good game people! And the series didn't really start to go downhill until Sonic Adventure 2. ADMIT IT.

I'll be generous and say the franchise didn't start falling apart until Sonic 3. I agree with alexb: The first five stages or so of Sonic 2 are brilliant fun, and after that they all start to mesh together.

thomp538
06-11-2007, 01:37 PM
I noticed Solomon's Key was in the Wii store the other day. I don't remember hearing about it though or reading any reviews. I borrowed this from a friend when I was a kid, I thought I liked it a lot but it was super hard. Anyone know anything else?

Kishi
06-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Hey, hey, hey (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3155418#solomons_key)!

alexb
06-11-2007, 01:42 PM
It was available from launch. It's pretty hard and pretty good.

poetfox
06-11-2007, 01:45 PM
I keep being tempted by Solomon's Key and then keep deciding I'll hold out for Fire and Ice.

Torgo
06-11-2007, 01:48 PM
i much preferred to play as tails only, personally.
The same. Tails is the only real casualty of the backlash against the legion of secondary characters.

thomp538
06-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Thank you. I was looking over just the NES list this weekend and found myself wanting to drop like $25 on games. I didn't, but payday is Friday...

Red Hedgehog
06-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I actually prefer the first Sonic to the second one. While it was more traditional platformer than RUN REALLY FAST!, there were also far less instances of building up huge speed only to run into an enemy or spikes. And the bonus stages suck - though I never tried them with just one character.

I keep feeling like I should beat Sonic 2 some time, but I really just lose interest in it somewhere around the Oil zone.

Deadguy2322
06-12-2007, 04:35 AM
I keep feeling like I should beat Sonic 2 some time, but I really just lose interest in it somewhere around the Oil zone.

It doesn't get any better after that, it just turns into a total slog for the rest of the game, so you aren't missing anything by not finishing.

A really funny memory: One of my friends and I were playing in high school, and he actually got killed by a monitor holding a 1-Up falling on top of his head. I laughed for 2 hours.

bobservo
06-12-2007, 07:59 AM
The same. Tails is the only real casualty of the backlash against the legion of secondary characters.

HINT: Never do a Google Image Search for "Tails"

Torgo
06-12-2007, 08:23 AM
I would never do a Google Image search for anything Sonic, much less Tails.

Chu
06-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Am I the only one who thought Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the best Sonic game ever? I mean, besides the fact that they split it up into two games you had to lock into each other due to time constraints.

blitzchamp
06-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Am I the only one who thought Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the best Sonic game ever? I mean, besides the fact that they split it up into two games you had to lock into each other due to time constraints.

I liked some of the levels in Sonic, but alot of them just sucked. I'd pick Sonic 2 over Sonic 3 anyday.