PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 Part 1: "Landfall" through "Cleansing"

Parish
09-24-2007, 12:28 PM
That's missions one through five, kids. Or "1-5" if words confuse you.

Remember to mark spoilers, OK? OK.

Sarcasmorator
09-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Minor spoiler: So what's the deal with Michael Wincott being replaced by Terence Stamp as the voice of Truth? I mean, Stamp is cool and all, but Wincott had just the right mix of sinister and zealous, while Stamp sounds all enraptured.

Jeanie
09-24-2007, 01:49 PM
"Kneel before Truth!

Maggie
09-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Noooo, I was afraid of that! Stamp IS cool, but... Oh, well. At least... Oh, I've got nothing to complete that sentence with. Just, oh well.

reibeatall
09-25-2007, 12:51 AM
Ohh my god Keyes looks HORRIBLE.

Parish
09-25-2007, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I guess they figure that since they have a helmeted hero they can slack on facial modeling or something. BLURF

Schmidt
09-25-2007, 02:43 AM
I was just skipping through the Halo 2 cutscenes on the bonus DVD, and Keyes looks like they used the exact same model.

On the other hand, the lighting model in this game is phenomenal.

doc_marten_abortion
09-25-2007, 06:37 AM
So far the game hasn't done anything to make me feel better about the series. I never truly enjoyed the first two; FPS were never a favorite of mine. I want to play co-op and multiplayer, because the main campaign is a bit of a bore.

TheSL
09-25-2007, 07:14 AM
So was it worth the wait guys? I know theres no way it can live up to the hype at this point, but is it at least as enjoyable as the first two?

Sarcasmorator
09-25-2007, 08:09 AM
I think it's the best one by far. At no point in the game did I want to stop playing out of frustration or annoyance; I just wanted to shoot and shoot and shoot until I won. Mix it up a bit.

And that's just the campaign (which I really want to tackle on Legendary with a group). Multiplayer and Forge are other cans of Hunter worms.

Schmidt: You got the Legendary Edition, then?

Schmidt
09-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes, I did.

Figure Four
09-25-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm such a douche. I showed up to my local Frys an hour before they opened in order to get in line. There was no line. I got up at 6:30 in damn morning on my day off and there was no line. So I just sat in my car for an hour eating donuts and listening to an old episode of Retronauts.

They had a huge pile of Legendary editions available and I was sorely tempted. Luckily for my bank account I managed to just walk away with just the limited edition.

As for the game itself, I'm well and truly loving it. I really liked the new Flood forms and I kind of wish that I had fought them more rather than making a made dash to the ship.

Parish
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah, the Flood's debut really surprised me. It's not just mindless masses of zombie flesh now -- they use tactics! and cover! -- and the Brute and human warrior forms talk with Gravemind's collective voice. Nicely creepy, and the freaky spider forms that combine into larger forms send me into a panic every time.

Maggie
09-25-2007, 04:32 PM
The Flood look great, too.

And Infinite Devil Machine was awesome... in a disgusting way.

Violentvixen
09-25-2007, 11:28 PM
The fact that you can WATCH humans and Brutes turn into their Flood forms is absolutely horrifying. As is the fact that the old heads, which used to just sit there, now scream in agony.

The atmosphere in this game, through lighting or music or things like the above, is really well done.

Schmidt
09-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Man, this is a beautiful game.

TheSL
09-26-2007, 06:38 AM
I honestly think I hate the flood more at this point because of all the things mentioned here. Sure, they're as creepy as ever but I still don't enjoy having to constantly feel like I'm being hunted; I like to be able to stop and take in the scenery from time to time.

Parish
09-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Well, you can take time when you're fighting the Flood now. They no longer simply rush at you. If you back off, they'll often move back to where they started. They use cover, they use flanking tactics, and they camp in out-of-the-way spots to get you the moment you step into the open.

TheSL
09-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Maybe that's my problem then- I used my old Flood tactic of rush in with the shotgun and never stop moving and got completely overwhelmed. I guess I'll try a smarter approach when I hop back into it tonight.

ringworm
09-26-2007, 08:56 AM
I don't know how close I am to the end of Part 1, I think I'm going to go into a "hole" and "bury them in the grave they dug for themselves" or somesuch. It was after a big warthog level.

Anyway, I picked Heroic, and I honestly think its too hard for me. I'm hoping that struggling through this makes me a better play but christ is it frustrating.

Parish
09-26-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm trying to replay through the game on Heroic and it really is confounding in places. The weapon drops seem to be the main problem -- I'm heading into that large base in Sierra 117 where Johnson's being held prisoner and don't have any weapons with decent range or accuracy. So the second I move toward the base, bam -- sniper kill. And I can't fight back. I had a battle rifle in the previous section, and I'm a good enough shot that I can pick off snipers with long-range BR headshots, but it's dry and now I'm stuck with a needler and a plasma pistol. AWESOME. Guess it's back to mission start.

I do think Heroic is great, though. Every encounter makes me sweat a bit and really pay attention to what's happening around me, and sequences I could rush through in Normal play out for much longer in Heroic.

As for Flood, you will definitely find that the previous games' tactics (shotgun and pistol in 1, shotgun and sword in 2) won't often work because the swords and shotguns are so much less common this time. There are so many other weapons to use, though, that you won't mind; the new Flood AI and forms combined with the new weapon drops and tactical X-button items make for some of the most intense and interesting fights in the game.

Violentvixen
09-26-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm all about dual-wielding Spikers against the Flood.

reibeatall
09-26-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm all about dual-wielding Maulers against everything.

Quote fixed.

Sarcasmorator
09-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Kapow-pow! I've got a video of me jumping and shooting a dude with two Maulers online. Love that gun.

reibeatall
09-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Kapow-pow! I've got a video of me jumping and shooting a dude with two Maulers online. Love that gun.

You are going to have to include that sound effect in every multiplayer match we play together from now on.

ringworm
09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
So, potentially improper difficulty level aside, I'm really enjoying the game so far. However, has the dialogue itself always been this sophomoric?

Like that scene when you are about to evacuate the base and someone asks Keyes "Where should we tell them to go?" referring to the marines. She pauses dramatically and says with gravitas "Tell them to go to war". I laughed out loud.

In this week's GFW they mention that they believe Halo is specifically targeted at 12-17 year olds. Given the amount of storytelling skill Bungie has, evidenced by the Marathon series, I think that, even though the universe itself is fairly complex, they are purposefully dumbing down the games somewhat.

Kolbe
09-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Didn't Like Smith worked on the script? Maybe we should ask him.

fumner
09-26-2007, 07:33 PM
One of my marine allies just yelled out "you're pending for a bending!" as we were approaching an enemy swarm. I'd file that under "awesome".

Schmidt
09-26-2007, 07:43 PM
One of my marines said something about his rifle and called it Vera. Also awesome.

Excitemike
09-26-2007, 10:31 PM
I got a Brute that shouted "he was my lover!"

You would think that would get old. But no.

So, um, continouity? Halo 2 ends with MC falling to Earth and Halo 3 opens with him hitting the ground. The Arbiter is already on Earth. What.

reibeatall
09-26-2007, 10:36 PM
So, um, continouity? Halo 2 ends with MC falling to Earth and Halo 3 opens with him hitting the ground. The Arbiter is already on Earth. What.

It doesn't say how long he's been laying there on the ground. I assume it's a few hours.

Parish
09-26-2007, 11:23 PM
He's been laying there since November 2004, actually. Sustained entirely by an IV drip of Gamer Fuel built into his armor.

Awesome dialogue alert: I smashed a Brute with the Gravity Hammer, prompting a soldier to laugh, "Wow, I didn't know you knew kung fu!" Then I died. I'm lame.

Kolbe
09-26-2007, 11:31 PM

Supposedly, the game starts not where Halo 2 left off, but after the events of the comic Halo: Uprising, which ties Halo 2 with 3. Unfortunately, only one issue of the four has been published so far. Talk about getting everything in time.

Maggie
09-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Supposedly, the game starts not where Halo 2 left off, but after the events of the comic Halo: Uprising, which ties Halo 2 with 3. Unfortunately, only one issue of the four has been published so far. Talk about getting everything in time.

Luckily, all four comics came out after the Chief fell but before Johnson and the Arbiter discover him.

So you'll already know all the details by the time we get to that point.

Excitemike
09-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Marvel Comics: We'll Put It Out Eventually.

ArugulaZ
09-27-2007, 03:32 AM
One of my marine allies just yelled out "you're pending for a bending!" as we were approaching an enemy swarm. I'd file that under "awesome".

It would have been better in Spanish!

I'm going to play this over the weekend, while I'm not working on my next video review. Having only played a little of Halo 2, and having spent no time at all with Halo, this will be like a new experience for me. However, it's got a lot to live up to now that I've played BioShock, which has become the watermark for modern first-person shooters.

Schmidt
09-27-2007, 03:43 AM
which has become the watermark for modern first-person shooters.
Which is thin ice. It should be the watermark for a lot of things, but flatly calling it the benchmark for modern first-person shooters is mistakenly ranking it above games that share little more than a camera perspective, leaving you with an apples to oranges comparison. The literal first-person shooting was arguably the weakest and least impressive part of BioShock.

openedsource
09-27-2007, 03:43 AM

They secretly have Frank Miller working on the scripts.

Excitemike
09-27-2007, 07:32 AM
They secretly have Frank Miller working on the scripts.

The Brute's skull cracks under the repeated barrage from my assault rifle. He lands with a thud, spilling his brains on the blood streaked concrete. The air is thick with the methane spilling from the Grunt's life support and the sound of their last desperate gasps. They are are drowning in our atmosphere and beneath my mask I feel the corners of my mouth curl into a wicked smile. Choke on it, you sons of bitches! Where are your gods now? I press on, killing and killing and killing, my only other thoughts are of Cortana, driven mad by the gravemind, tortured and suffering and calling my name. I bring down my heel on the neck of a sniper, the gurgling snap drowned out by the sounds of the battlefield, the sun blotted out by the gunpowder and the smoke from a thousand burning Covenant copses. The only light I see is blue, and woman-shaped, and it draws me forward like a siren's song.

Parish
09-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Nice, but needs more hookers. And nowhere did you refer to Keyes as an ice-hearted dame.

Anonymooo
09-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Nicely creepy, and the freaky spider forms that combine into larger forms send me into a panic every time.This level freaked the crap out of me. I notice that I'm much more on-the-ball fighting Flood than fighting Covenant--I die pretty regularly fighting Brutes and Grunts, but the second Flood show up I turn into Master Chief Tequila.

Stiv
09-29-2007, 11:43 PM
In this week's GFW they mention that they believe Halo is specifically targeted at 12-17 year olds. Given the amount of storytelling skill Bungie has, evidenced by the Marathon series, I think that, even though the universe itself is fairly complex, they are purposefully dumbing down the games somewhat.

Three words: No Jason Jones. Please correct me if it's the absence of one of Marathon's other writers.

I think it's kind of shameful that so far the thing I've enjoyed most about the game is the throwback Marathon reference of "Traxus Industries." Okay, that's a lie - I'm also digging all of the Cortana dialog (which in itself is also kind of a Marathon throwback, thanks Story Page) and the new Flood designs, which have just gotten better with each game. But it's sort of like the relentless focus of Halo 2 had a baby with the experimentation of Halo, and that's pretty nice. Grenades are actually <i>important</i> now, but you can still just run into the middle of all kinds of shit on normal difficulty and come out alive (usually). This is definitely a game to tackle in co-op on higher difficulties, like Gears of War is.

After seeing the inside of the Flood ship and listening to the Gravemind dialog, though.. man, that just totally convinced me that either people can no longer come up with original ideas for an FPS storyline (see: No Jason Jones), or that Bungie is hate-raping elements of System Shock 2 (unlikely). Maybe in the next part of the game I'll be asked WHAT IS A DROP OF RAIN, COMPARED TO A FLOOD? WHAT IS A THOUGHT, COMPARED TO A MIND?

Jakanden
10-03-2007, 04:39 PM
I admit I only scanned through this thread, but did anyone else see the Red vs Blue guys (the voice actors, not the actual characters) arguing about the password? I thought that was pretty funny and an awesome thing for Bungie to do.

Edit - Found video of it: http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/15034

Violentvixen
10-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah, my friend and I found that when he got lost, haha. I didn't realize it was the RvB guys until I really listened the second time. Very cool.

Eusis
10-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Didn't realize they were the RvB guys either, though my brother commented that the whole thing reminded him of something from RvB.

dwolfe
10-04-2007, 09:08 AM
This is my first Halo. I'm playing through on Normal...

I don't get it. What's the big deal of the single player game? Do I need to play more and get a better feel for the system? The level design is painfully structured as set-pieces for small battles over ever hill/around almost every corner...is this the "30 second bits of fun" Bungie always talks about? NPC's often run into my streams of bullets or in front of my vehicle (and have run me over as well), and I feel pretty guilty for killing them.

Mind you, I think the multiplayer has been fun so far, and I'm looking foward to Forge, but I can see myself moving right on to Team Fortress 2 in a week or so unless someone can explain this to me.

Swordian
10-04-2007, 10:08 AM
This is my first Halo. I'm playing through on Normal...

Try Heroic.

Parish
10-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Try Heroic.
MEGADITTOS

The level design and combat go from being "meh" to "oh man" by bumping up the difficulty that one notch.

ringworm
10-04-2007, 10:27 AM
So much of the level design is an attempt to make the combat take place in little vignettes. Like contained encounters stacked one right after another to make up an entire mission. All of the brilliance in function, if not form, is completely lost when you can just blow through it haphazardly instead of having to actually use the level.

Jakanden
10-04-2007, 10:36 AM
So much of the level design is an attempt to make the combat take place in little vignettes. Like contained encounters stacked one right after another to make up an entire mission. All of the brilliance in function, if not form, is completely lost when you can just blow through it haphazardly instead of having to actually use the level.

This sums it up entirely. You actually have to learn the levels and how best to use them on Heroic and Legendary. It changes the gameplay considerably.

TheSL
10-04-2007, 10:52 AM

I wonder if that was John DiMaggio's contribution to the game, since Wikipedia says he's in it. Y'know, Bender from Futurama.

Jakanden
10-04-2007, 10:59 AM
I wonder if that was John DiMaggio's contribution to the game, since Wikipedia says he's in it. Y'know, Bender from Futurama.

They had 10 actors recording TONS of lines for the marines. I am sure that was one of his many contributions.

Excitemike
10-04-2007, 11:08 AM
I wonder if that was John DiMaggio's contribution to the game, since Wikipedia says he's in it.

He plays the Brute Chieftan. When he says he's going to shove the hammer up your ass, the ass sounds the same as when he says "bite my shiny, metal ass."

dwolfe
10-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Interesting. I picked normal thinking it was what the game designers MEANT for people new to Halo 3 to play, not that it was a gimped version of the game. I'll give it another go from the start on Heroic and abandon this normal version. Thanks everyone.

Anyone else thing that is a strange design decision besides me?

And I assure you I am not blowing through the enemies on normal, even on co-op. Usually it's "I'm doing fine, I'm using cover, grenades do wonders!...oh wow I killed that guy.....BAM" and I get one-shotted from some enemy shooting me with some powerful long-range weapon, that I had no idea even existed until he introduced himself to me using the universal language of violence.

dwolfe
10-04-2007, 12:01 PM

But...it's so predictable! You are constantly walking/driving from one vignette to another. I want variety...I'm not sure what exactly I want instead, maybe playing on Heroic will make the vignettes feel more varied.

Jakanden
10-04-2007, 12:25 PM
And I assure you I am not blowing through the enemies on normal, even on co-op. Usually it's "I'm doing fine, I'm using cover, grenades do wonders!...oh wow I killed that guy.....BAM" and I get one-shotted from some enemy shooting me with some powerful long-range weapon, that I had no idea even existed until he introduced himself to me using the universal language of violence.

The difficulty spike between Normal and Heroic is fairly large. If you are having trouble with Normal, Heroic will cause you great pain.

ringworm
10-04-2007, 12:31 PM
The difficulty spike between Normal and Heroic is fairly large. If you are having trouble with Normal, Heroic will cause you great pain.
Yeah.

Maybe Halo 3 just isn't for you man.

Parish
10-04-2007, 01:18 PM
He could always go co-op on Heroic. That's the sure-fire way to survive a difficulty level beyond your capabilities.

Jakanden
10-04-2007, 01:26 PM
That is what I am going to have to do with Legendary. While I was able to make it through Heroic, Legendary is just freaking brutal.

Maggie
10-04-2007, 01:31 PM
If you're gonna play it on co-op and you have the skull, definitely turn on Grunt Birthday. It's just so much fun.

Jakanden
10-04-2007, 01:48 PM
If you're gonna play it on co-op and you have the skull, definitely turn on Grunt Birthday. It's just so much fun.

I was doing that already when I went to get IWHBYD. It is indeed the awesome.

Maggie
10-04-2007, 02:00 PM
I don't even know if I can play the game without it now.

You'd think it'd take you out of the experience, but... man. There's just something really satisfying about confetting bursting out of alien's head.

ArugulaZ
10-05-2007, 11:21 PM
I find myself hating the segments with the Warthog in them. Not only is the damned thing hard to drive, it's annoyingly likely that you'll be run over by it if you let the other marines do the driving. There's nothing more "fun" than clearing an area of hostile aliens, only to get snuffed out by an ATV full of joyriding idiots trying to pick you up. The next time that happens, I'm wiping it out with a grenade.

Jakanden
10-07-2007, 03:59 AM
Turns out the dialog for the RvB guys changes depending on the skill level you are playing on: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/06/red-vs-blue-crew-discusses-their-roles-in-halo-3/

Maggie
10-07-2007, 04:57 AM
I find myself hating the segments with the Warthog in them. Not only is the damned thing hard to drive, it's annoyingly likely that you'll be run over by it if you let the other marines do the driving. There's nothing more "fun" than clearing an area of hostile aliens, only to get snuffed out by an ATV full of joyriding idiots trying to pick you up. The next time that happens, I'm wiping it out with a grenade.

this has happened to me SO many times. The AI is great until these jackasses get in a vehicle. They either run me over or go out of their way to kill themselves.

On Tsavo Highway when I'm driving the warthog with the turret, the transport warthog (which has NO turret) likes to get in front of me and drive around in circles in front of the enemy, like dangling a delicious baby over the side of the lion pen.

Eusis
10-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Turns out the dialog for the RvB guys changes depending on the skill level you are playing on: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/06/red-vs-blue-crew-discusses-their-roles-in-halo-3/
So THAT'S why it was different. Yeah, I need to see that on other difficulties, I'll stop by when I replay the first two stages on heroic.