PDA

View Full Version : Listening Time III (US)

dhawks
05-30-2013, 06:11 PM
It has been almost a year since the last Mix CD exchange -- so I figured I would take it upon myself to organize the next round. Hopefully we'll get enough people to fill 10 spots, and everyone who signs up is committed to sending out their mix in a timely fashion.

Once we have all of our participants, I'll collect everyone's mailing addresses via PM, and we'll set a schedule.

1.) dhawks
2.) Umby
3.) rurik
4.) Matchstick
5.) CaptBlasto
6.) Falselogic
7.) Nich
8.) hafrogman
9.) BEAT
10.) shivam

dhawks
06-04-2013, 11:40 AM
*crickets*

Am I the only one who wants to have another mixtape exchange?

Do I smell bad or something?

Umby
06-04-2013, 03:44 PM
IN

You're not smelly

rurik
06-04-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm interested!

Matchstick
06-04-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm pretty much always down for an exchange, but I felt like I should give other people a chance to get in on the fun.

CaptBlasto
06-12-2013, 05:58 PM
I'd be down for an exchange.

dhawks
06-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Half way there!

I don't mind doing it with fewer than 10 people, but I'll leave this going for another week or two in case we have anyone on the fence.

Falselogic
06-13-2013, 11:46 AM
CD? physical address?

Is this a forum for Cave people?!

shivam
06-13-2013, 11:49 AM
I'd join in, but i'm going to be moving soon, so i'll have to pass this time =(

dhawks
06-13-2013, 12:58 PM
CD? physical address?

Is this a forum for Cave people?!

I dunno... I'm just following the way Nich did it last go 'round.

Look at it this way -- it's fun to get mail that isn't bills or junk.

dhawks
06-13-2013, 12:59 PM
I'd join in, but i'm going to be moving soon, so i'll have to pass this time =(

Bummer, I was looking forward to another round of cool Indian music. Good luck with the move.

Falselogic
06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
I'd like to participate (by participate I mean foist my terrible taste upon you) but it turns out none of my computers have CD trays in them anymore...

I guess I could scrap together USB cards for everyone? Those are cheapish now, right?

Is that allowed? Can I do that? If so I'd sign up.

dhawks
06-13-2013, 02:05 PM
I'd like to participate (by participate I mean foist my terrible taste upon you) but it turns out none of my computers have CD trays in them anymore...

I guess I could scrap together USB cards for everyone? Those are cheapish now, right?

Is that allowed? Can I do that? If so I'd sign up.

Sure, you could do that. Or maybe you could just send your songs to me, and I could burn your CD's and mail them along with my mix. That wouldn't mean any additional postage -- just the time to burn 9 additional CD's (which is negligible).

CaptBlasto
06-13-2013, 02:20 PM
You could also purchase a usb CD burner, I don't know if that would be more or less expensive than usb sticks.

dhawks
06-13-2013, 02:34 PM
by participate I mean foist my terrible taste upon you

"Girl in the Tower" is not terrible.

dhawks
06-24-2013, 10:00 AM
I think I'll leave the sign-up open for another week, and then we'll just go ahead with whoever we've got -- whether it's the full roster of 10 or fewer.

Falselogic
06-24-2013, 10:02 AM
I'll sign up then!

Thanks for offering to burn the CDs for me Dhawks!

hafrogman
06-25-2013, 12:29 PM
I'd like to get in on this, I've had fun with these kinds of exchanges on other sites.

dhawks
06-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Monday is the cut-off folks! If you want one of those last two spots, please speak up.

Falselogic, if you want to start putting your mix together, I was planning on sending out my mix plus yours to kick off the exchange. Once the sign-ups close I will send out PM's to collect and distribute mailing addresses. I will post the mailing schedule in this thread. If anyone has a preference, please let me know.

I AM EXCITED!

Falselogic
06-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Monday is the cut-off folks! If you want one of those last two spots, please speak up.

Falselogic, if you want to start putting your mix together, I was planning on sending out my mix plus yours to kick off the exchange. Once the sign-ups close I will send out PM's to collect and distribute mailing addresses. I will post the mailing schedule in this thread. If anyone has a preference, please let me know.

I AM EXCITED!

Okay I will start to make my mixomatic

shivam
06-28-2013, 02:14 PM
man, i'm wavering.

dhawks
06-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Do it! You can go last. You won't have to send your CDs for like 2+ months.

dhawks
07-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Last call. If nobody claims these last two spots today, we'll proceed with the Elite Eight we have currently.

Falselogic
07-01-2013, 10:07 AM
This will be the first time I ever make a "mixtape" in my life.

Be gentle.

BEAT
07-01-2013, 10:11 AM
BEAT
u guys are fucked
IS

IN

shivam
07-01-2013, 12:58 PM
fine, i'm in.

dhawks
07-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Yay! We did it, folks!

shivam
07-01-2013, 06:31 PM
I only just now got the thread title.

huh? *looks at title* what do you...oh MAAAAAAN

rurik
07-01-2013, 07:29 PM
I only just now got the thread title.

son of a bitch

dhawks
07-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Please reply to your PM if you haven't already. Once I have everyone's address, I'll post the schedule.

dhawks
07-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Here's the schedule:

Falselogic/dhawks: 7/13 – 7/19
hafrogman: 7/20 – 7/26
Matchstick: 7/27 – 8/2
CaptBlasto: 8/3 – 8/9
Nich: 8/10 – 8/16
Umby: 8/17 – 8/23
rurik: 8/24 – 8/30
BEAT: 8/31 – 9/6
shivam: 9/7 – 9/13

dhawks
07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I've been listening to my mix all day, and I think I'm pretty happy with it! Hoping to burn my CD's (and Falselogic's) tonight and drop them in the mail by Friday.

Falselogic
07-10-2013, 01:48 PM
I have no idea if my mix is any good.

Chances are it's not.

blame Canada.

EDIT: also thanks again to Dhawks for the burnage

dhawks
07-10-2013, 01:59 PM
I know the answer, but I don't want to spoil it for everyone else.

dhawks
07-12-2013, 08:28 AM
CD's are in the mail!

Umby
07-13-2013, 02:34 AM
Can't wait!

CaptBlasto
07-15-2013, 08:33 PM
CD's are in the mail!

They arrived today for me! Didn't get the chance to give them a listen though.

hafrogman
07-16-2013, 05:33 AM
Mine are also here.

I'm finishing up my list and burning and then I'll give them a listen.

dhawks
07-16-2013, 08:23 AM
A quick word about the theme of my mix. It is my take on the LateNightTales series (http://www.latenighttales.co.uk). LNT started back in the early 2000's, and they get musicians to put together a "late night" mix sourced from their personal music collection. I definitely recommend checking out the series.

shivam
07-16-2013, 11:16 AM
woo, got the cds! i need to start planning my own mix now. What say you guys, more indian music?

dhawks
07-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Yes. Please.

rurik
07-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Mine came todaaaaaaaaaay

shivam
07-17-2013, 12:12 PM
man, dhawks, i am digging the hell out of this disc. so loungy! so chill! and planet caravan, my favorite sabbath song!

hafrogman
07-19-2013, 04:00 PM
10 CDs burned, boxed and labeled . . . at which point I realized that I was one of the 10 people and didn't really need to send myself a CD.

I shall endeavor to mail them off tomorrow.

In the meantime I've been enjoying listening to the first two discs, looking forward to more.

Edit: hafrogmix deployed.

dhawks
07-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Mine arrived today. Yayyyyy!!!!

Umby
07-22-2013, 01:56 PM
I love your mix, dhawks! It doesn't hurt that I love chill songs, so your mix is perfect for just reading a book to or walking to work.

Hopefully will get to listening to Flawgic's mix today.

dhawks
07-22-2013, 02:36 PM
I didn't look at the tracklisting before I started playing hafrogmix, and the first thing I hear is Overload, from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack. I am a huge sucker for 80's cheese (ex: I own the Karate Kid soundtrack), so I'm pretty excited already!

dhawks
07-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Tom Fu*king Jones covering Portishead? What is this.

hafrogman
07-22-2013, 04:21 PM
I didn't look at the tracklisting before I started playing hafrogmix, and the first thing I hear is Overload, from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack. I am a huge sucker for 80's cheese (ex: I own the Karate Kid soundtrack), so I'm pretty excited already!I am a firm believer in 80s soundtracks. But I didn't notice quite how much soundtrack material I put in this mix until now. I guess it's subconscious.

Tom Fu*king Jones covering Portishead? What is this.Amazing? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reload_%28Tom_Jones_album%29)

Or alternatively, just one song from an album where he also covers the Talking Heads, Three Dog Night, INXS and others, often while teaming up with other acts (including Portishead).

dhawks
07-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Finally getting around to posting my thoughts on Falselogic's mix...

I like the Eddie Vedder and Iz songs as bookends to the mix. It makes for a nice transition if you put the entire album on repeat.

The heavier stuff wasn't my cup of tea, but the whole point of the exchange is to get exposed to the widest possible variety of tastes and genres.

I was probably most interested in the b4kn track. I haven't listened to much chiptune music -- the closest I've gotten would be something like Crystal Castles. Plus I just so happen to be casually playing through Super Metroid lately, and this music has a similar vibe to it.

A weird anecdote about A Horse With No Name. I had your mix playing, and I stumbled onto this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ACE-BBPRs&feature=player_embedded). I forgot to stop the mix, and I thought A Horse With No Name was the background music for the video. The pairing was weirdly poignant and made the video even more powerful.

Umby
07-25-2013, 08:30 AM
I think the main thing that turns me off about Falselogic's mix is that it doesn't transition well from song to song. I appreciate most of the bands on there, but Beastie Boys just aren't my style! Interesting mix, though.

Falselogic
07-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Finally getting around to posting my thoughts on Falselogic's mix...

I like the Eddie Vedder and Iz songs as bookends to the mix. It makes for a nice transition if you put the entire album on repeat.

The heavier stuff wasn't my cup of tea, but the whole point of the exchange is to get exposed to the widest possible variety of tastes and genres.

I was probably most interested in the b4kn track. I haven't listened to much chiptune music -- the closest I've gotten would be something like Crystal Castles. Plus I just so happen to be casually playing through Super Metroid lately, and this music has a similar vibe to it.

A weird anecdote about A Horse With No Name. I had your mix playing, and I stumbled onto this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ACE-BBPRs&feature=player_embedded). I forgot to stop the mix, and I thought A Horse With No Name was the background music for the video. The pairing was weirdly poignant and made the video even more powerful.

I think the main thing that turns me off about Falselogic's mix is that it doesn't transition well from song to song. I appreciate most of the bands on there, but Beastie Boys just aren't my style! Interesting mix, though.

Listening to it after making it I can agree that the transitions aren't good, if existent at all. The music was built around a non-musical theme (the hero's journey) and I didn't spend a lot of time on making each song match those around it as I did the theme...

Sorry it wasn't that great. Hopefully my sophmore effort will be better...

hafrogman
07-28-2013, 08:29 AM
Not to be too paranoid, but has anyone other than dhawks received my mix yet?

Matchstick
07-28-2013, 08:29 AM

I got it.

Falselogic
07-28-2013, 08:47 AM
I got it too

hafrogman
07-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Alright, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't screwed something up.

Umby
07-28-2013, 11:30 AM

I have it, but just got it as I just returned to my house for the weekend. I'll burn it and listen to it today or tomorrow.

shivam
07-29-2013, 10:01 AM
i got it, and it's in my cd player right now =)

dhawks
07-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Final Hafrogmix thoughts:

I like a lot of the songs on here! The mix really shines during the five song stretch starting with Momentum ending with Shadows.

I've had the CD in my car for a few days now, and I find that I now listen to it like this:

Listen to Overload
Skip to All Mine
Listen through to Night on Disco Mountain
Skip to Beat Me Daddy...
Go back to Overload

dhawks
08-05-2013, 01:14 PM
I got the Matchmix today. What a nice way to start the week!

Umby
08-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Same here! I have the mix.

Matchstick
08-05-2013, 02:29 PM
I got the Matchmix today. What a nice way to start the week!

Huzzah! Sorry it took so long to get it out, folks. The idea as you might gather from the name was to do a mix that made you think of a summer day from before sunrise to after sunset.

shivam
08-05-2013, 03:40 PM
man, i can't wait to give you guys mine.

CaptBlasto
08-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Yep I got Matchstick's mix today as well! I'm putting the finishing touches on mine, I hope to have them mailed Wednesday.

shivam
08-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Falsie, your album is an interesting collection of tracks (love the Bella Morte song), but it's kinda jarring to go from vedder to clash to the beasties. Otherwise, interesting stuff.

Except for walking with the ghost. that song is terrible.

Falselogic
08-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Falsie, your album is an interesting collection of tracks (love the Bella Morte song), but it's kinda jarring to go from vedder to clash to the beasties. Otherwise, interesting stuff.

Except for walking with the ghost. that song is terrible.

Yeah next time I need to make sure the music matches up more with each other and not just the theme I was trying to go with

CaptBlasto
08-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Yep I got Matchstick's mix today as well! I'm putting the finishing touches on mine, I hope to have them mailed Wednesday.

Oh I was so optimistic. Really sorry everyone, they were sent out today. Also, I finally got the reference for the thread title!

dhawks
08-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Matchmix thoughts:

I always appreciate it when these mixes have a specific theme. The "soundtrack for a summer day" concept is cool (and apropos). Overall the mix works for me. That Suzanna Choffel song is great, and I think we can all agree that Amιlie fantastic.

shivam
08-13-2013, 04:19 PM
got blasto's mix. gonna listen to it and match's this week.

Umby
08-14-2013, 07:26 AM
got blasto's mix. gonna listen to it and match's this week.

Pretty much same here! I need to find a time when everyone else isn't in the house to listen to these...

Making my playlist this week.

hafrogman
08-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Think I'm all caught up on my listening.

The Talking Time Blues was a great primer for a genre I've always enjoyed, but never really pursued myself. Now I have a nice assortment.

The Matchmix wins the award for featuring the most music I already owned, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing as it meant the rest of the disc lined up very nicely with my tastes as well. Also, it featured a fair amount of music that I assumed I already owned, but had apparently never picked up.

Falselogic
08-18-2013, 11:07 AM
I still need to listen to Matchstick's and CaptBlastos!

Hope to have thoughts by end of next week.

Umby
08-18-2013, 12:50 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaugh gotta make my playlist

sorry very behind will get those CDs to you soon

rurik
08-18-2013, 01:02 PM
I've gotten everyone's up through CaptBlasto, but Matchstick's came in busted up! The front cover got shattered, and the disc got cracked through on one side. A bummer, but I'll piece it together through the playlist. I've got to find the time to listen to these, I've only gotten mostway through dhawks' so far 8U

I finally got around to sifting through the pool of music I set aside and slapped together a first draft this morning, which I'm listening to know for flow/consistency!

Umby
08-20-2013, 12:04 AM
About how long should the mix be? I want to go longer, but I have mine around an hour. I forget how much data I could potentially store on the CD, but how long were everyone else's mixes so far? Hopefully should be able to burn these tomorrow and send them out soon, sorry for the wait.

CaptBlasto
08-20-2013, 04:13 AM
CD-Rs can hold 80 minutes of music. Mine was pretty close to 80 minutes.

Matchmix thoughts: I really enjoyed it, though the middle section didn't resonate with a summer day to me. I think we just have different feelings about that time of the day. The music was good, and the morning and evening song selections really reminded me of those times.

dhawks
08-20-2013, 05:45 AM
About how long should the mix be?

Personally, I like shorter mixes. Don't feel obligated to fill up all 80 minutes of CD space. It's difficult to maintain cohesion and pace when a mix spans 20+ tracks. Also, imposing some limits on yourself will force you to cut the filler. Your mix will be better for it.

dhawks
08-20-2013, 05:46 AM
Matchmix thoughts: I really enjoyed it, though the middle section didn't resonate with a summer day to me. I think we just have different feelings about that time of the day. The music was good, and the morning and evening song selections really reminded me of those times.

This was my experience as well. The morning and nighttime songs really hit their mark.

Umby
08-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Personally, I like shorter mixes. Don't feel obligated to fill up all 80 minutes of CD space. It's difficult to maintain cohesion and pace when a mix spans 20+ tracks. Also, imposing some limits on yourself will force you to cut the filler. Your mix will be better for it.

I mean, I make two hour playlists every week for a radio show, but I understand what you mean. My songs tend to run on the longer side, too, so I only have twelve songs for an hour or music. However, I'm pretty satisfied for how the mix is, so I'll burn it and get it out ASAP.

Matchstick
08-20-2013, 09:45 PM

The concept for me was that the heavier stuff in the center evokes the feeling of driving down the road on a blisteringly hot day with the top down, then as the heat eases up, the music gets easier and moodier while the sun goes down.

rurik
08-24-2013, 03:28 AM
I'm comfortably drunk and testing my mix out and I'm pretty chuffed

All I can say is that dhawks, you beat me to the punch using Portishead's Silence but I'm comfortable with and probably prefer this outcome

CaptBlasto
08-24-2013, 06:41 AM
The concept for me was that the heavier stuff in the center evokes the feeling of driving down the road on a blisteringly hot day with the top down, then as the heat eases up, the music gets easier and moodier while the sun goes down.

I missed this post, but Matchstick you nailed it dead on then. When I got to Mastodon and especially Silversun Pickups that was the vibe I was getting. Oppressive heat, a visual image of the heat waves coming off the asphalt. I think I was expecting something that would remind me of clear blue skies and a bit lighter tone, where you are looking around and just think "It's good to be alive".

I got through Hafrogmix and Falselogic's. Hafrogmix had a lot of styles I never really listened to, and I liked it! It flowed well from song to song. Falselogic's had good songs, but I don't think the mix really flowed well as people have already said. It kind of jumped around. I think if you would have tried to start soft and build up to the intense music it might have worked out a bit better.

Matchstick
08-24-2013, 09:44 AM
I missed this post, but Matchstick you nailed it dead on then. When I got to Mastodon and especially Silversun Pickups that was the vibe I was getting. Oppressive heat, a visual image of the heat waves coming off the asphalt.

Yeah, exactly. I literally was thinking of those heat shimmers when I wrote that.

I think I was expecting something that would remind me of clear blue skies and a bit lighter tone, where you are looking around and just think "It's good to be alive".

I almost went that way originally. I decided that the end tunes would evoke that respite idea, where you're laying in bed with the window open listening to the surf after a long day in the sun.

Umby
08-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Well, the cd burner I was counting on died with the computer, so I will have to make do with an 8tracks for now. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but this will have to do until I can send you all the cd properly! I hope you enjoy the playlist (http://8tracks.com/soundscapeswithdjmonet/moody-time-iii).

dhawks
08-29-2013, 01:56 PM
I got Nich's mix today! This is going to help me get through a long work day.

dhawks
08-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Nich, I really like your mix. It's my favorite so far. I'm a big fan of most of these artists, and the ones I'm not familiar with are interesting. The songs transition well, and the mix is a perfect length. Good showing!

Falselogic
08-30-2013, 11:50 AM
I got Nich's mix!

But I am like two mixes behind already!

Umby
08-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Anyone listen to the replacement of my mix while I'm scrambling trying to make a real one? T_T

Falselogic
08-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Anyone listen to the replacement of my mix while I'm scrambling trying to make a real one? T_T

Oh yeah! Now I'm 3 behind!

dhawks
08-30-2013, 12:05 PM

Oh wow. I guess I should have clicked your link. :-/ I thought it was just a tracklist for the CD, and I didn't want to ruin the surprise.

Umby
08-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Naw naw naw, that's the actual playlist! You can play it and everything. If you don't want to spoil the whole thing, the playlist is revealed song by song as you listen, even. But that's the whole thing in its whole glory, and I'll hopefully be able to send the real mixes soon, fingers crossed.

dhawks
08-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Hey...this is pretty cool!

Falselogic
09-01-2013, 05:57 PM
I listened to Nich's! Is there a tracklist somewhere? Did I miss it?

hafrogman
09-01-2013, 07:14 PM
There was a URL written on the CD (for mine anyways).

http://maragos.org/ls6

Falselogic
09-01-2013, 07:15 PM
There was a URL written on the CD (for mine anyways).

http://maragos.org/ls6

So it is! the CD was in the computer at the time so I could not see it!

Thanks

and sorry!

shivam
09-03-2013, 12:00 PM
just got nich's!

shivam
09-06-2013, 06:07 PM
my disc is going out next week. hopefully you like it.

dhawks
09-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Umby, rurik, and BEAT -- don't forget to send out your CD's!

Umby
09-17-2013, 07:41 AM
I have not forgotten, I still am on the search for any easy way to burn CDs. Will ask again and see if the main compy is still not broken at home this weekend when I'm back.

CaptBlasto
09-18-2013, 08:53 PM
my disc is going out next week. hopefully you like it.

Not to pester you shivam, but if you sent them out, I never received mine.

Falselogic
09-18-2013, 08:53 PM

I just got mine today!

Going to listen to it and the 3 others I haven't listened to yet tomorrow!

I promise!

shivam
09-18-2013, 09:03 PM

it went out at the beginning of this week. sometime in the next few you'll have it.

Matchstick
09-18-2013, 09:16 PM
I just got mine today!

Me, too.

shivam
09-18-2013, 09:23 PM
i hope you guys like it! it's a sampler of sorts of what is going on in india right now musically. indie stuff, rock, dubstep, folk...

CaptBlasto
09-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Sorry about jumping the gun shivam! I got mine today. Initial thoughts: Track 2 is fantastic! The beat is just so crispy!

shivam
09-20-2013, 04:49 PM
track 2 was made up entirely of manipulated sounds recorded in the streets of Benaras, with random boatsmen brought in to sing their rowing hymns. it's bad ass.

dhawks
09-26-2013, 02:34 PM
shivam, I am enjoying your mix! Is the first track a remix? The dubstep portions seem kind of "tacked on." I like the underlying song quite a bit, though.

The second track is definitely a standout, and it's even cooler now that I know the backstory. I recall hearing an interview on NPR a few weeks ago where Bonobo did something similar on his most recent album (which is very good, and worth checking out).

dhawks
09-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Oh, and you other bums still need to send out your mixes. Don't be "that guy."

shivam
09-26-2013, 02:42 PM
shivam, I am enjoying your mix! Is the first track a remix? The dubstep portions seem kind of "tacked on." I like the underlying song quite a bit, though.

The second track is definitely a standout, and it's even cooler now that I know the backstory. I recall hearing an interview on NPR a few weeks ago where Bonobo did something similar on his most recent album (which is very good, and worth checking out).

the first track is a collaboration between Shafqat Khan (first voice), Fink (english voice) and the indian bollywood music production duo of salim (last verse) and suleiman (all the beats). It's one full track.

Here's the video!
-U7WDjsg4qs
And the full episode if you want to see how it was made!
rYE_3iw4484

And here's the video for track 2, Ram Ram (http://mtv.in.com/soundtrippin/videos.php?id=8271), and the full episode (http://mtv.in.com/soundtrippin/videos.php?id=8269) to see where the sounds came from and how it was made.

actually, pretty much every song on my mix has videos online.