PDA

View Full Version : Texas is the Bestest

reibeatall
06-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Ok, so not really, but I'm pretty happy about this.

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/06/11/texas-game-development-incentives-come-with-strings-attached/

Basically, Governor Rick Perry just signed a bill stating that Texas-based game companies can get up to $250,000 in grants. However, according to the wording, the games can't be horribly violent or portray Texas negatively.

While it's a little wonky the whole "Not all game companies can get this," I think it's a step in the right direction.

ArugulaZ
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
You can tell this was written especially for Midway, which closed one subsidiary in Texas (you may remember it as Tradewest) and may consider shuttering the other. Of course, then again, it's gonna be tough for them to cash in when you consider the kinds of games that Midway releases.

JR

alexb
06-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Why? It didn't say anything about half-baked mediocre crap.

ArugulaZ
06-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Well, they've got a bug up their butt about half-baked, mediocre, VIOLENT crap. And that's what we usually get from Midway. I blame Sumner Redstone.

JR

Guy
06-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Man, and here I thought I could finally get funding for the development of my game: "Texan Incest Rape".

reibeatall
06-11-2007, 08:02 PM
You can tell this was written especially for Midway, which closed one subsidiary in Texas (you may remember it as Tradewest) and may consider shuttering the other. Of course, then again, it's gonna be tough for them to cash in when you consider the kinds of games that Midway releases.

JR

Not just Midway. ID, Gearbox, and Ensemble (Spelling?) Studios are all within an hour drive from where I live. There are a lot of developers in Texas.

Kishi
06-11-2007, 08:19 PM
I guess Retro probably doesn't need to take advantage of this.

Sanagi
06-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Texas? Small state syndrome. Compensating.