PDA

View Full Version : The Stephenson Megathread of Cybersteampunk Philosophizing

Lady
07-02-2013, 10:51 PM
I finished Anathem today. I really liked it. Each time I've finished one of his books, I've wound up thinking it was the best thing.

The slow pace was completely fine with me; I was listening to the audiobook anyway, so while I could hear how words like "Arbre" were spelled, I missed the nuance of Scular and I thought it was really clever that they celebrated "aughts" like when a clock reaches back around to 0. Except not

Actually, here is how I envisioned the following words to be spelled, only being able to hear them
Sur Ayla
Fra
Orello
Tredegar
Cthos
Dabun Yrneud
Aurethena
Genelial Kraidt
Yulenial Kraidt
Procheans
Halicarnians
Hymn space
Hialaya
Arcibalt
Leo
Jesri
Simone
Baesian
geegaw
Lodegear
Adrachanes
aught
Matterites

This book definitely touched on a lot of things I'm interested in; I had flashbacks to studying orbital mechanics, spent time analyzing the linguistics of the vocabulary (although most of my attempts obviously leaned french in favor of latin and greek)

I really just want to jump back into it and see what all I missed the first time!

Grignr
07-03-2013, 04:23 AM
Having your first experience be the audio books kinda boggles my mind. It totally wouldn't work for me; I was miserable the first weeks of my high school French class where the teacher did spoken-only immersion and wouldn't spell anything and I tried to write out things phonetically to remember them.

If you have a strong auditory memory, I can see it being a neat experience, though. I did fine picking up the Clockwork Orange jargon from the movie...

Evil Dead Junkie
07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
I'll just say that I did Anathem onaudio book the first time (I'm finally checking Quicksilver offmy list that way as well, and had no trouble following it (well until the whole climax, but no trouble based onthe vocab). The reader does an impeccable job.

I liked Anathem for its ambition, though I have to admit it was a little lacking in the humorthat I primarily read Stephenson for.

Loki
07-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Anathem is my favorite of his. It has a setting I just love spending time in, lots of mathematical and philosophical digressions, and even has a plot with a real actual ending to back it all up!

And it really rewards on a reread. Give it a year or so Lady, and jump right in.