PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 Ending: Spoilery Spoilers Inside

Excitemike
09-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Discussion of level design and enemy A.I. is awesome. It's so awesome, I'd like it to get past the spolier text, so a place for spoilers is born.

So I'm playing with the volume low so the girlfriend can sleep. I finish the awesome Warthog sequence and prepare for the ending. I turn the volume up a little which knocks the speaker off the back of my desk. I fumble around in the dark for it, and when I get back to my chair, there's a Master Chief memorial. What. the. hell. happened?

Maggie
09-26-2007, 10:48 PM
I don't know, it kind of bummed me out that you don't really get to SEE the explosion you worked so hard to set off. I could at least look at that and say "Ok, Gravemind, let's see you survive THAT," but no, we just get a white screen, unless I'm forgetting some short scene.

And what happens after the credits? I accidentally pressed A and I don't want to replay the last level again so soon (I beat the final stage, then the power went out, so I had to do it again. It's too soon for that for a third time).

reibeatall
09-26-2007, 10:49 PM
As the ship is flying away, the force of the explosion begins to shake it. Everybody gets tossed around, and the Arbiter manages to make it to the front, while Master Chief is holding on for dear life. He gets his grip, sits down, and Cortana says "I don't know if this is the end, but it's been a pleasure working for you, John." Master Chief says something equally cheesy, and then Halo/Ark blows up. It gets really white, and then it gets to where you are.

BEAT THE GAME ON LEGENDARY FOR MORE.

Excitemike
09-26-2007, 10:51 PM
And what happens after the credits? I accidentally pressed A and I don't want to replay the last level again so soon

I did that too! I totally didn't mean it. Is there a cinema gallery? I can't find one, but I can't find anything in these menus.

Kolbe
09-26-2007, 10:58 PM
While I should tell you what happened after the credits, I think is better for you to find out. It's a nice ending that circles to the very beginning of the Halo saga. Just load from your last checkpoint and finish it again. It's worth it.

There's more if beaten in Legendary, but I haven't seen it 'cause I'm a sissy.

Parish
09-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah, you don't have to beat the game on Legendary to see the true ending. Legendary's just a little extra snippet to tease Halo 4, basically.

It's worth watching the credits all the way through, honest. The coda is pretty much the only conclusion I could really imagine for the trilogy.

Maggie
09-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Guess I'll try it again tomorrow.

By the way, if anyone wants to take a crack at Legendary in four player co-op sometime, let me know.

Brickroad
09-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Guess I'll try it again tomorrow.

By the way, if anyone wants to take a crack at Legendary in four player co-op sometime, let me know.

Definitely. I don't think there's any other way I'll finish Legendary, judging by how hard my ass was repeatedly stomped in High Charity.

Stiv
10-01-2007, 02:04 AM

Yes, yes, and yes. This game was made for co-op, no question about it.

I also skipped the credits (oops) and didn't play on Legendary, but the second I finished the game without ever confronting Gravemind I knew there was going to be a Halo 4. I'd love to be wrong, since otherwise Bungie's probably going to be stuck making these games until the end of time.

Jakanden
10-02-2007, 07:45 PM
I beat it tonight and I loved it. The warthog chase was far better than Halo 1's and really had me excited the entire time. It was a great way to top off the game and it didn't feel anti-climatic nor did it let me down.

As said above, the post credit sequence is indeed perfect and well worth watching without having it spoiled. It was just how I imagined the game ending and I was 100% satisfied with it.

I was a bit sad at the death of Johnson though as he was one of my favorite characters. I mean, he was immune to possession by the flood, tough as nails, willing to get in the thickest of it without reservation and didn't take shit from anyone. I can see why they killed him, but I was still saddened by it.

I played through the game on Heroic so I am down for Legendary co-op with Campaign scoring on anytime.

Maggie
10-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I mean, nobody liked the Monitor to begin with. I can't tell you how many times I tried to kill the little bastard in the engine room of Halo 1, but then killing Johnson... Oh, you are so dead.

I would've enjoyed the final warthog chase if the Gravemind's tentacles had made an appearance, maybe bursting through a wall to stop you or something.

And now that the Flood has the ability to spread through ships and stuff, what's to stop the Gravemind from sending out ships in all directions? Why would he keep his entire "fleet" together on Halo? Sure, HE might be there, but if he dies, the Flood can generate another, given enough time.

That was ridiculously stupid that they didn't even seem to make mention of it. He sends that first ship to Earth in "It Followed Me Home," so what's stopping him from doing that again at any point?

There was absolutely no resolution there.

Vahn16
10-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Well yeah -- there will be a sequel. If everything is perfect and the universe is no longer in danger of any sort, then how can there be a sequel? Just as Master Chief is stuck in space, so too is the flood still alive and mutating.

I thought the ending wrapped-up the trilogy well, and left room for the series to go in all sorts of directions. I'm also glad that Bungie validated my negative opinion of Guilty Spark. Once he started helping Chief and crew, I was afraid I might actually become indifferent to him. Then that little bastard killed Johnson -- and didn't even let him crack wise pre-death -- and I was ready to blast him so hard the Forerunners would feel it. Unfortunately, I jumped to evade one of his blasts and went careening off the edge of the area. Since I was playing on co-op, the other person I was playing with finished-off GS and I was left feeling embarrassed and ineffectual.

Brickroad
10-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Unfortunately, I jumped to evade one of his blasts and went careening off the edge of the area.

I did that THREE TIMES.

Jakanden
10-03-2007, 01:18 PM
I did it twice. The third time I ran out of ammo on my AR before realizing "Oh, Johnson has the weapon I need".

Violentvixen
10-03-2007, 02:04 PM
One of the friends who was going through Co-op with me just refused to believe that GS was bad. I kept pointing out that he betrayed you in the first game, was still withholding information in the second, and just seemed displeased for what we'd seen of him in the third. My friend insisted I was wrong, and that GS was good. He was genuinely sad when GS blew up.

I did think it was interesting that Hood refused to forgive the Arbiter. I was curious if they were going to try for a "Hey look, everyone's happy now and all the Elites live on Earth and can vote and have drivers' licenses, hooray!" and was quite glad they didn't as that was unrealistic.

I'm curious if they continue the series with the Arbiter and the Shipmaster on the Elite's planet. Could be very interesting.

reibeatall
10-03-2007, 02:38 PM
They never said WHY/HOW the war started, so that could be why Hood didn't forgive the Arbiter.

Daydreamer
10-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Wasn't hood somehow involved in the Halo 1 plotline? Which was the same fight in which the Arbiter disgraced himself by not winning?

Parish
10-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Nah, you have to wade through the books to get the backstory. Which I've done, for the sake of my job! Blurgh. Basically the Covenant came across humanity and was like, "Hey, you're heretics and have to die," then started wiping out every colony it could find. And Hood didn't appear until Halo 2.

Maggie
10-03-2007, 04:08 PM
I only read the Fall of Reach and First Strike, but I guess they never did really go too deeply into why the Covenant wanted humanity to die. I mean, did Truth realize they WERE Forerunners and get an inferiority complex over it? Or did he think they were mocking the Forerunner by their very existence? Or, heck, did he just want them dead because humans have a nasty habit of living on planets where neat artifacts are?

I'm really probably putting more thought into this than anyone should, I guess. And all my complaining about the ending is probably going into the whole "nasty sense of entitlement" territory that Parish mentioned much of the internet having, to begin with. I really DO like the game, I guess I just felt like ranting about the one small thing that bothered me.

openedsource
10-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm curious if they continue the series with the Arbiter and the Shipmaster on the Elite's planet. Could be very interesting.

That would have been an awesome reward for beating the game. Of course, my view is probably colored by another game with two aliens on a spaceship going back to their home planet at the end.

Jakanden
10-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Nah, you have to wade through the books to get the backstory. Which I've done, for the sake of my job! Blurgh. Basically the Covenant came across humanity and was like, "Hey, you're heretics and have to die," then started wiping out every colony it could find. And Hood didn't appear until Halo 2.

I have read all the books, the graphic novel and I am getting the comics as they come out. They are actually really good and it is sad many people ignore them because they are "Game novels".

Maggie
10-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Oh, yeah, I love the graphic novel. And it features the Gravemind of the first Halo, which is something you'll never know about if you only play the games.

Parish
10-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Of course, my view is probably colored by another game with two aliens on a spaceship going back to their home planet at the end.
E.T.?

Jakanden
10-03-2007, 05:04 PM
I am watching the special features DVD and found out that Nathan Fillion is in the game as one of the marines. Why the hell didn't they give him a bigger part?!

Maggie
10-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Although, the more I play it, the more I think I hear him. And I'm almost sure that there's a "Captain Reynolds" or something like that in the first level that talks to Johnson over the radio.

Or maybe it was... Well, I don't remember.

Adam Baldwin has a lot of lines in the barracks section of the second level, though.

openedsource
10-03-2007, 05:14 PM
E.T.?

I said it would be awesome.

Parish
10-03-2007, 05:56 PM
I am watching the special features DVD and found out that Nathan Fillion is in the game as one of the marines. Why the hell didn't they give him a bigger part?!
His part was awesome enough for me. I joined up with a Marine contingent in mission six and he shouted, "Shiny! It's the Chief!" So nerdy, so good.

reibeatall
10-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Don't forget Alan Tudyk. He's the marine at the begining that tests your sights.

This game is Firefly.

ringworm
10-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Don't forget Adam Baldwin! He starts voicing some marines at around mid-game.

They should have brought in at least one Firefly lady. Gina Torres, perhaps.

Peach
10-04-2007, 10:55 AM
And yet no one is the equal of the Australian Marine.

Obi-Druff
10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
JP, you old so and so. I can't play Halo without thinking of Marathon. And I can't think of Marathon without thinking of you.

Last night I finished my Quest for the Terminals in Halo 3 and have had some time to mull them over. (Been through the campain 4x, all Heroic) I assumed they were going to be little more than fan service fluff, but lo and behold, they actually put the story into a whole new light. They really add some delicious old school Bungie flavor to it all.

*spoilers*

I love it that the Forerunners actually had "forerunners" of their own to look up to, and that they didn't create the Halo array; they inherited it from an even more advanced ancient race who apparently also wiped themselves out in the process of temporarily stopping the Flood.

I love it that once again, all of the trouble was caused by a rampant A.I., created to fight the Flood 100,000 years ago, betrayed its masters, eventually defeated by an even more powerful A.I., and then cunningly planted seed ideas in a gullible alien race that eventually became the Prophets, seeds which eventually blossomed into a religion whereby "the gods" demanded that humanity, the descendants of the A.I.'s enemy, be destroyed.

I love it that the two Forerunners who communicated with each other in the logs were "D" and "L": Yeah, according to the logs they stand for Didact and Librarian. But as I read through them, I couldn't help but think of Durandal and Leela. And Bungie doesn't generally do coincidences. ;)

XBL: Druffmaul

Parish
10-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Druff-baby, nice to hear from you. I'm still working on my Marathon Man achivement, so I hadn't yet taken in the full scope of the revelations aside from determining that the Forerunners had forerunners and that Mendicant Bias was a real bastard, but your interpretation does a great deal to explain the mystery of why the Prophets would supposedly revere the Forerunners yet go straight for the kill upon meeting their decendents.

Those terminals warm my bitter old heart. And yeah, my first thought upon seeing the D and L designations was, "No... it couldn't be." Those wily bastards.

Jakanden
10-04-2007, 06:02 PM
I have only found 3 of the terminals so far, but I am looking forward to reading them as I am one of those people who loves the stories of both Marathon and Halo. I skipped over your spoilers, but I am betting that when I find all of them, I will be a happy person.

Stiv
10-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Okay well I read that spoiler post DESPITE having found only 2/7 terminals and clearly I missed the good stuff. But I've just gotta say, I was wondering when the Jjaro would show up because clearly they can't be humans (thanks, Pathways into Darkness).

As for D&L.. didn't Durandal escape the closure of the universe and become god? Hey guys, let's play Zelda Continuity with the Bungie shared history.

Kolbe
10-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Guys, you have to stop. I just want to play Marathon more and more, but only one of the games is available in XBL Arcade. One!

When are we getting the whole deal?

Sarcasmorator
10-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Have you tried this (http://source.bungie.org/get/)?

Kolbe
10-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Wo, thanks!

Parish
10-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Durandal did not escape the Big Crunch -- the final screen of Marathon Infinity is narrated by the Durandal/Thoth entity at the final moment before the collapse, where he has long since abandoned the notion of escape. Basically, the series ends with Durandal's deathbed musings.

Maggie
10-06-2007, 08:07 AM
I just got done getting the Marathon Man achievement and those terminals have really doubled my love for this game. They just add so much to it that I kind of feel sad for those players who ignore them or don't want to be bothered.

If you play on Legendary, the content of the terminals changes to something even more interesting, by the way. Mendicant Bias is just tons of fun, and you get to see the Gravemind's softer side.

Seriously, though, I feel like my previous runthroughs of the game were about the same as playing, say, Durandal without reading any of the terminals. It makes a huge difference.

Stiv
10-06-2007, 10:46 AM
The terminal text AND the ending change on Legendary? God, Bungie are a bunch of assholes. Somebody better start playing co-op with me real soon, because there's no way in hell I can finish the game alone.

And my bad on Marathon. It's been way too damn long since I finished Infinity.

Jakanden
10-07-2007, 03:58 AM
I got my Marathon man achievement on Legendary (I didn't finish any of the levels, just started close to them and worked to them) and the Terminal text is awesome.

I loved how the included rampancy and the dialog between the two people describing what is happening. The blow by blow battle between MB and the other AI was awesome as well.

Parish
10-07-2007, 09:30 AM
The blow by blow battle between MB and the other AI was awesome as well.
It is officially the best part of the game, in fact.

Brickroad
10-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Is there some subtitle option I missed? I have a hard time following video game dialogue without any onscreen text.

Specifically, I'm not clear whether Master Chief's last line to Cortana was "Wake me when you leave me" or "Wake me when you need me." I understand that either way the translation is "Buy Halo 4" but I'd still kinda like to know.

ringworm
10-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Specifically, I'm not clear whether Master Chief's last line to Cortana was "Wake me when you leave me" or "Wake me when you need me." I understand that either way the translation is "Buy Halo 4" but I'd still kinda like to know.
I'm not sure that "leave" makes any sense. It was "Wake me when you need me." which was intended to have a double meaning, either "need" in the sense of requiring his services in battle, or "need" in the sense of companionship.

Jakanden
10-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I heard it as need. I never thought it was anything else.

Maggie
10-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah. Besides, you're supposed to try NOT to wake them when you leave.

Parish
10-08-2007, 12:14 PM
That's not true. You should always wake them up before you go-go -- don't leave them hanging on the line of a yo-yo. Have you learned nothing?

reibeatall
10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I've got the craving for an Orange Mocca Frappuchino...

Jakanden
10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
That's not true. You should always wake them up before you go-go -- don't leave them hanging on the line of a yo-yo. Have you learned nothing?

...I hate you. I now have this song stuck in my head.

Maggie
10-08-2007, 01:07 PM
If she actually HAD said "leave" at the end, they could've played that song as the screen faded to black and ended the series on a cheery note.

I'm actually genuinely sad that they didn't do that.