PDA

View Full Version : Complete Don Rosa Duck Comics!

Sprite
09-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Fantagraphics continues to be amazing. (http://comicsalliance.com/don-rosa-uncle-scrooge-donald-duck-fantagraphics-comics-reprints-disney/)

I'm excited! The only Rosa I've read is Life and Times, so I'm excited to see what he does with "modern" Scrooge, and really excited to complement the Carl Barks comics. Barks has better comedic timing, but Rosa has a better sense of adventure, and I can't decide if I prefer one or the other. Either way, they created Scrooge McDuck, my nomination for best cartoon character ever.

I wonder if this collection will have the same awkward editorials which try to elevate the comics as profound literature. I only read the ones in the first Barks collection and they were pretty painful, especially the bits that tried to paper over the casual racism. These comics aren't anything more than fun, silly romps around the globe, but they don't have to be. They're great!

I also wonder if Rosa will see some royalty kickback from this, since he retired from Duck comics because of Disney's crummy treatment of creators.

christoffing
09-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Oh my god this is great news.

While Rosa's comics, in my mind, was never really as good as the old master, they were something special in their own right and a pleasure to read. Especially if you, like me, have grown up with Italian Duck-comics, most of which are absolutely god-awful, it was a pleasure to read consistently good comics made with attention to detail, consistency and a genuine love for the characters.

I'm definitely getting this, in other words.

Teaspoon
09-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes! Delightful, continuity-happy packages, but always with a clever conceit and always worth the read. And close inspection; there's a memorable one where he lays out the blueprints for the Money Bin. Two solid pages worth, which all by themselves can take up ten minutes of examining just while you're piecing together where everything is.

I hope it makes Rosa a bit of cash, too, he deserves it.

Ample Vigour
09-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Rosa will only get a rip on this if Fantagraphics gives him one out of the kindness of their hearts, sadly :(

Rosa was held back, ironically, by his devotion to Barks' material. Barks wasn't afraid to contradict himself or go totally buck wild with his ideas as long as it served the message. Rosa set hard limits on himself and explicitly tried never to outdo the master

Ample Vigour
09-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Bill Van Horn is unjustly overlooked in the ranks of Good Duck Artists

Sprite
09-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Rosa was held back, ironically, by his devotion to Barks' material. Barks wasn't afraid to contradict himself or go totally buck wild with his ideas as long as it served the message. Rosa set hard limits on himself and explicitly tried never to outdo the master
While I agree Barks did well to ignore his own continuity, I disagree that Rosa's limits held him back. Life and Times was amazing because it stuck to slavishly to the "Barksian canon" and built a world out of disconnected threads. I like how he set down tent-poles in Scrooge's life that he could return to and tell unlimited stories in, King Arthur-style. Both approaches make for great storytelling when done right.

Is Bill Van Horn available in a reasonable format?

Falselogic
09-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Looking forward to this! Sucks it's not this fall or winter.

Sheana
09-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Oh shoot, Don Rosa was one of the comic gods of my childhood, no lie. Life & Times was one of my favorite comic book stories ever, and actually taught my feeble developing brain a lot about the possibilities of comics and what you could do with them, even goofy Disney comics. The man's a master in his own right, from the highly detailed scenery and facial expressions to the unexpected drama and comedic timing (yes he has it and he is great at it, I will argue this to my grave). I wanna dig up all sorts of panels for posting now.

Actual further collections of Rosa? Be still my ducky heart.

SpoonyBardOL
09-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Between this and Ducktales Remastered I wonder if Disney has any more plans for ol' Scrooge McDuck coming up? I'd love to see the TV series touched up and put on Blu-Ray.

I'm getting Life & Times so hard when it comes out...

Loki
09-12-2013, 09:24 AM
I'm super excited for this. I like Rosa's stories better than Barks. Nothing against Barks, but Brosa's have more gravitas to them. And Life and Times goes for $50 or more, used. Ridiculous.

Sprite
09-12-2013, 09:43 AM
The man's a master in his own right, from the highly detailed scenery and facial expressions to the unexpected drama and comedic timing (yes he has it and he is great at it, I will argue this to my grave).
I didn't mean to imply Rosa doesn't have comedic timing. I just think Barks is funnier.

Ample Vigour
09-12-2013, 10:55 AM
I didn't mean to imply Rosa doesn't have comedic timing. I just think Barks is funnier.

Agreed. Barks was the superior satirist, but Rosa's stuff is still funny as hell

I've never seen any collections of Van Horn's work, and it's a damn shame. His Donald Duck 10-pagers did a fantastic job returning Don to a fluid, surreal cartoon world where anything could happen (my favorites include: Donald entering a weight-gaining contest that is canceled when Daisy finds out the city is going to sink into the ocean if he gets any fatter, the nephews buy a quick-growing weed from huckster that demolishes and ultimately replaces their ramshackle home, donald accidentally orders a billion jumping beans that form a legume tsunami that fears only hot sauce)

Chu
09-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Hooray!

I'm only now getting the chance to read through all of the Carl Barks comics. I didn't buy the Fantagraphics collections (yet), but my school's library is amazing, so I'm reading through the Another Rainbow hardcovers from the 1980s. It's funny to read articles that are from a time years before DuckTales existed.

I'm excited! The only Rosa I've read is Life and Times, so I'm excited to see what he does with "modern" Scrooge, and really excited to complement the Carl Barks comics.
Me too! Except I've read "Life and Times" and the "Life and Times Companion". I got extremely lucky while searching eBay and was able to snatch up both copies for $30 together. Then I brought them to Phoenix Comic Con and got them signed by Mr. Rosa himself. :D

I will take this moment to brag that Rosa complimented me on eyebrows' distinctive shape and that I got a signed poster from him, too! Y'know that Duck/McDuck family tree? If you look for it online, chances are, you'll see one where Huey, Dewey, and Louie's dad/Donald's brother-in-law is covered up by a bird. But the poster I bought has his face in clear view with a blank nameplate! Apparently a little joke Rosa likes to do is fill in the name plate with any name you want to give him. I named him after my beloved childhood dog.

LBD_Nytetrayn
09-16-2013, 02:32 AM
I would love this. The Duck comics (and Mickey, too) are some of my favorite comics, period.

Wolfgang
09-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Oh god yes, please and thank you, what is the best sequential art books

Daikaiju
10-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Late to the party on this, but he retired!? Damn...

Dadaph
10-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Yeah, sadly, he quit a few years ago. Mainly because of poor eyesight and the Disney system of screwing over artists.

He wrote about it earlier this year (http://career-end.donrosa.de/).

Sprite
10-04-2013, 10:29 AM
If there is something in my text that someone doesn’t wish to be known to the public, it seems to me that inclusion in an expensive book set that has only a few thousand buyers in several different countries would be a rather harmless revelation. But now that text will be on the INTERNET. That was never part of my original intention.

Thank you.
Glorious.

SpoonyBardOL
11-05-2013, 04:20 PM
I feel like I ought to mention here that A) Fantagraphics, the publisher of this collection, is in a jam and B) you can help them out of it by preordering a signed copy of the book (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fantagraphicsbooks/fantagraphics-2014-spring-season-39-graphic-novels).

I'd love to, but

Ships within the US only

:(

Daikaiju
11-08-2013, 09:28 AM
So work something out with a US Tyrant!

valhalladeath
11-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Nich! I just made my pledge.

Zef
03-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Bumping this for the unlikely-but-awesome news that there is a Finnish prog metal concept album based on the Life and Times in the works (http://comicsbeat.com/kibbles-n-bits-3314-don-rosa-stars-in-mcduck-themed-rock-video/).

Holy crap! Tuomas from Nightwish! It's not actually Nightwish (and they say as much in the making-of video) but the song is VERY definitely his touch and style. This is the best crossover ever :eek: Thanks so much for the heads-up!

Teaspoon
03-04-2014, 08:21 PM
That is the most beautiful music video I've seen this year.

I hope the album is a smashing success.

Daikaiju
03-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Dang it. Now I need to get that for that art.

Sprite
08-04-2015, 05:58 PM
I've been catching up on my duck reading while I'm in the hospital. Scrooge is an excellent companion.

These Rosa collections are so good. I really hope Fantagraphics is able to do the full run like they plan to. The extra material is much more valuable than what's in the Barks collection, mainly because Rosa wrote all of it. Each book has autobiographical stuff that covers a two-year period of his life when he was making comics (he wrote a TaleSpin episode!), and each story has commentary by Rosa. He strikes a great balance between self-effacement and pride, and shows real love for his material. The commentary in the Barks books is dull and dry by comparison. I don't understand why Rosa's so down on his own art, though.

And I was surprised at how funny some stories ended up being. "On a Silver Platter" is up there with the best Barks gags.

Daikaiju
08-05-2015, 01:26 PM
I don't understand why Rosa's so down on his own art, though.

That is all too common among artists in general.

Loki
08-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Oh my gosh I didn't realize these had started to be published!

Now if only I could justify spending money on a comic book.

Chu
08-06-2015, 07:43 AM
I have the two Rosa books sitting on my shelf but I have shamefully not read them yet.

The TaleSpin episode he wrote was the one about Kit, Molly, and the giant octopus, right? That's a good episode! I think it's called "It Came from Beneath the Sea Duck".

I read all of the Carl Barks books by Rainbow (I think) while I was in school, and I agree that the extra material left something to be desired. Sometimes it was really neat, like when they quoted Barks himself on the process and why things are certain ways in comics (like how the only punctuation that exists are exclamation points).

Most of the time, though, they were written by diehard fanboys who worshipped Barks like a god and threw everyone else and their work under the bus. I remember reading a bit about a children's book Barks illustrated about Scrooge running a lemonade stand. The book featured Barks' original art as well as the version that was colored by another artist. Whoever wrote the article about it was like "here was have Barks' drawing, full of life and professional grandeur... And there we have the colored ABOMINATION that CRUDELY sucked all the life out of this master work!!!!" And I was like, dude, really? The colored version looked fine to me. It's okay to prefer one over the other, but sheesh.

I ended up skipping most of them because they were saturated with stupid hyperbole.

ghosttaster
08-06-2015, 10:22 AM
God, I love Don Rosa. I feel like he's appreciated but still somehow not canonized and it burns me up inside. It burns me up, I tells ya!

(omg that crosshatching ooooooh)

Chu
08-08-2015, 07:20 AM
Finished reading the first book! It was lovely.

Like, I get why Carl Barks is so revered, but to me, Don Rosa is even better. Barks captured the spirit of fun and silly adventure, but Rosa definitely has heart. He can write something serious and sentimental and I never find myself rolling my eyes just because the characters are cartoon ducks. And Rosa's art is amazing.

By the way, it looks like volumes 3 & 4 of the Don Rosa collection are coming out this fall. Hooray!

Sprite
08-08-2015, 08:02 AM
I like Barks better, mainly because I love the comedic side of Scrooge and Rosa's not quite as sharp as Barks. I love when Scrooge's downfall is his own thrift, and Barks is a master of coming up with hilarious situations. That said, "Life and Times" is the best series of stories ever to feature the character, over and above anything Barks did. And it looks like we'll be getting the first half this year!

Dadaph
08-08-2015, 03:49 PM
I love Don Rosa, but his main strength and also his weakness, is that he tries to be a bit too true to Barks' universe. I feel he sometimes prioritizes that over actually telling a story, especially his later works suffer from that.

Carl Barks didn't really care too much about continuity. If there needed to be a desert near Duckburg for one story, he made one up just for that story. The Duck universe is a mess, and even though I admire Rosa's attempt to bring law and order to the chaos, it's not always needed.

That being said, his retelling of Scrooge McDuck's life is a true masterpiece.

Ample Vigour
08-08-2015, 05:12 PM
Carl Barks was a much more cynical writer than Keno Don Rosa ever dreamed of being. There's a fundamental belief, a faith, in the goodness of people that informs work like The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck that is largely absent from The Twenty-Four Karat Moon and Microducks from Outer Space.

Ample Vigour
08-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Which is not to call Barks a nihilist. The Twenty-Four Karat Moon shows that he believes life has inherent value far beyond the possession of things, even as it lampoons everything from the Space Race to the myth of the wild west.

Sprite
08-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Yeah, in Barks Scrooge's riches are a constant source of strife for him. In Rosa, Scrooge is still cheap, but he has sentimental reasons for hanging on to all that cash. It's a connection with his past, and all that he has lost.

My favorite running gag is that rare coins become rare because most of the minting is at the bottom of the money bin.

FelixSH
08-09-2015, 08:24 AM
I don't think I have read many of Barks comics, but I always loved Rosas, partly because of the art style. I was deeply confused when I found people on the internet who thought Rosas work is a hatecrime against Barks, or something like that.

Sprite
08-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I can't figure it out. According to Rosa, a lot of publishers hated his art as well. Maybe because his style is slightly different from the official style? His drawings are very distinct.

Daikaiju
08-09-2015, 09:34 AM
A lot of the Duck comics tend to have a very loose breezy style, from what I've seen. Rosa is the George Perez of Duck comics, bestowing painstaking detail on the grand and mundane alike. I guess they think it's overwrought?

FelixSH
08-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Yes, I remember people criticising Rosa for his detailed artstyle. That's ok, different strokes and all, but calling it outright bad just makes no sense to me. Especially if it's accompanied by real anger, for being not pure enough.

I guess it's their version of "casual games are not real games".

Dadaph
08-10-2015, 05:45 AM
Most Duck comics today are produced and read in Europe. It's actually very, very difficult to become a Duck artist, as you have to learn to draw the characters and backgrounds in very specific ways. Even very professional artists and illustrators usually have to practice for years before they are allowed to do stories.

Don Rosa has a much more distinct and personal style, which is much closer to the one of Robert Crumb (Rosa does have background making underground student comics). I also believe that's why Rosa is so critical of his own art. He doesn't have an artistic background, and we can often see some weird proportions, like bigger hands or heads, especially in his earlier works.
That being said, as a professional cartoonist myself, I do love Rosa's artwork and I think its wonderful.

How Rosa got his work in the European Duck magazine is a pretty long story, and it does involve a bit of luck and the fact that the rules weren't as strict back then as they are today.

taosterman
08-10-2015, 09:09 AM
Wow, my library has most of the Carl Barks collections. That solves that pesky "spend hundreds of dollars" problem.

Fredde
08-13-2015, 06:37 AM
One thing I like about Rosa's duck comics is that before he retired, he managed to wrap up most of the loose threads and give Scrooge a finish to the arc that had been going through all the stories (mostly the Life and Times ones) in A Letter from Home.

Also, by his own admission, he gives a subtle hint about what he thinks will be Scrooge's final fate in A Little Something Special, which I interpret as that Scrooge will eventually retire from his buisness work, move back to Klondike and marry Glittering Goldie. But that might just be me.

Speaking of Rosa, has anyone read The Pertwillaby Papers?

Johnny Unusual
08-13-2015, 06:55 AM
I only had the pleasure to read the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Companion, but it was pretty damned impressive. I look forward to reading more some day.

Mr. Sensible
08-13-2015, 10:18 AM
Most Duck comics today are produced and read in Europe. It's actually very, very difficult to become a Duck artist, as you have to learn to draw the characters and backgrounds in very specific ways. Even very professional artists and illustrators usually have to practice for years before they are allowed to do stories.

People really can institutionalize anything, can't they? These are funny duck comics we're talking about for Christ's sake (I mean this in the nicest possible way)!

Rosa's great, his art is great and boo on anyone who says otherwise! :toastybert:

FelixSH
08-13-2015, 10:29 AM
I read a bit through Life and Times. I love it, especially how much heart it has. Every time Scrooge is a jerk and thinks of his father and the parts where he thinks of Goldie are great.

As a bonus, they are also really funny.