PDA

View Full Version : TTBC October 2013: All Yesterdays by John Conway, C. M. Kosemen and Dr. Darren Naish

Falselogic
10-01-2013, 10:16 AM
http://irregularbooks.co/allyesterdays/cover.png

All Yesterdays (http://www.amazon.com/All-Yesterdays-Speculative-Dinosaurs-Prehistoric/dp/1291177124/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380647762&sr=8-1&keywords=All+yesterdays), according to the publisher, "is an illustrated survey of possibilities and details we might be overlooking in contemporary reconstructions of extinct animals. In two parts, we examine speculative possibilities that may not have been preserved in the fossil record, and muse on what future palaeontologists may think when reconstructing animals that live today."

The book discusses the many sins of the reconstruction of extinct species and then does some speculation and outside the box thinking on perhaps what some of these animals did look like and what animals we do know would look like if they were reconstructed in the way we currently do for extinct animals.

Bonus book for TT Book Clubbers! The authors of All Yesterdays put out a cal to their readers and other scientists for entries of speculative paleobiology and have collected them into another fantastic book, All Your Yesterdays. This book is free and you can find it here (http://irregularbooks.co/allyesterdays/ayy.pdf).

Falselogic
10-01-2013, 10:17 AM
I've ordered my copy and have already started looking through the pdf sequel. The art is beautiful and some of the speculation intriguing and thought provoking!

I hope you all enjoy this book as much as I do!

pointzeroeight
10-01-2013, 10:27 AM
This sounds too neat to pass up. I'm kind of split on whether to get it on Kindle or a physical copy though.

Falselogic
10-01-2013, 10:29 AM
This sounds too neat to pass up. I'm kind of split on whether to get it on Kindle or a physical copy though.

If you have a kindle that displays color I'd go for it. I was going to ebook it but I didnt want to miss out on the beautiful color art.

pointzeroeight
10-01-2013, 10:31 AM
No Kindle Fire for me. Maybe I'll just get it on Kindle and read it on my PC or something...

Falselogic
10-06-2013, 05:43 PM
My copy came! It's beautiful and weird! I can't wait to start reading!

Falselogic
10-06-2013, 07:55 PM
I've also finished All Your Yesterdays!

Some of my favorites can be found on pages 132, 24, 34, 58, 66 and 74!

Looking forward to reading other people's thoughts in these books

Falselogic
10-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Finished All Yesterdays this evening!

Am I the only person reading it? I hope not because I think it is really good.

I thought many of the ideas were thought provoking and made me think about dinosaurs and other animals only from the fossil records in a different light.

The last section especially does a good job on pointing out the flaws and preconceptions that have crept into our view of these creatures.

I look forward to talking about the book more with you all.

Rascally Badger
10-13-2013, 11:13 PM
I've read it but I don't have much to say, other than what you just did.

I'd always taken it for granted that the pictures of dinosaurs in books were actually what they looked like, even after I knew such depictions were wrong. Somehow it never occurred to me that all of the pictures were guesses, not just the ones that were wrong. Though I haven't really thought about dinosaurs at all since I was a youngster, it really made me think of them as actual animals and not some crazy, unknowable prehistoric monsters.

I really made me want to find pictures of depictions of dinosaurs through time. Like from the old stand up T-Rex to the horizontal one to that one but now with feathers. It would be really interesting.

reibeatall
10-17-2013, 09:09 AM
I sorta don't like how they don't have a "before" and "after" type of shot, where it shows how they're typically depicted, and then the new, smarter way.

Falselogic
10-17-2013, 09:12 AM
I sorta don't like how they don't have a "before" and "after" type of shot, where it shows how they're typically depicted, and then the new, smarter way.

That's a good point! I sorta just assumed everyone who read it has seen the JPs and was a big dinosaur fan when they were a kid...

I should scan some of the stuff from the last section (that Hippo is terrifying) and put it up here for people not reading

reibeatall
10-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Ohh, I've seen it. I love dinosaurs, I used to want to be a paleontologist (also I had dinosaur sheets on my bed until I was like 14).

I just think that showing "this is the common, but most likely wrong interpretation" versus "this is what scientists believe it most likely looked like" would allow for better comparison of the forms instead of just an art book with dinosaurs.

Falselogic
10-23-2013, 02:40 PM
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/files/2013/10/Quetzalcoatlus-Bob-Nicholls-paleocreations-600-px-tiny-Oct-2013-Tetrapod-Zoology.jpg

Tongue wrestling Quetzalcoatli! How's that for sexual selection?

Falselogic
11-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Go crazy talking about the book in here now!

Falselogic
12-01-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm sad you guys don't like dinosaurs!