PDA

View Full Version : Fucking LOU REED DIED?

Ample Vigour
10-27-2013, 10:38 AM
that's just not cool

Little Sampson
10-27-2013, 10:54 AM
I don't know what it says about me that my first thought upon seeing this thread was "Poor Laurie Anderson"

Fuckin' sucks, though

taosterman
10-27-2013, 11:00 AM
k8REIw0amb8

:(

Ample Vigour
10-27-2013, 11:09 AM
my wife and I were arguing about whether or not you could tell a lou reed regular album from a lou reed comedy album like three minutes before we heard

Wolfgang
10-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Marcia Wallace, Lou Reed - who will be the third

Adrenaline
10-27-2013, 11:27 AM
I've only recently started listening to The Velvet Underground, which is a band that sounds fucking nuts for existing in the late 60s. This news sucks.

Alixsar
10-27-2013, 11:38 AM

YOUuu

estragon
10-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Depressing.

Also, I somehow did not realize until this news that he and Laurie Anderson were married.

Wolfgang
10-27-2013, 12:32 PM
YOUuu

Probably

Sheana
10-27-2013, 01:11 PM
http://youtu.be/nkumhBVPGdg

This is gonna be on repeat for me for the rest of the day, I think. One of my all time favorite songs.

Man, I can't handle the deaths this weekend. RIP to a rockin' rocker dude who made some cool stuff and who I thought about a lot when it came to music and writing about music-type stuff.

ArugulaZ
10-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Wasn't he in the Penn and Teller video game as well?

"Impossible doesn't mean very difficult. Very difficult is winning the Nobel Prize; impossible is eating the Sun."

Evil Dead Junkie
10-27-2013, 02:35 PM
The Velvet Underground was playing the first time I did drugs and the first time I had sex. I owe Mr. Reed much.

Now if you'll excuse meI have to go play The Halloween Parade fifty times in a row.

JDS
10-27-2013, 02:40 PM
the only thing to do really is play rock n' roll animal on vinyl every day for the rest of your life

upupdowndown
10-27-2013, 02:42 PM
I don't know what it says about me that my first thought upon seeing this thread was "Poor Laurie Anderson"

it says that you are indeed awesome

JDS
10-27-2013, 02:43 PM
also i predict iggy pop, roy wood or david bowie as the next one to go merely because freddie mercury, syd barrett, and the divine lou were also early coverboiz for the mick rock, the best rock photographer of all time, and thus had years of spirit energy taken

TK Flash
10-27-2013, 02:58 PM
You have got to be frigging kidding me

Makes me wonder all about Lulu.

Loki
10-27-2013, 03:02 PM
the only thing to do really is play rock n' roll animal on vinyl every day for the rest of your life

Balrog
10-27-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm a huge fan of his early stuff. His later stuff, up to and including his death, I'm not a huge fan of.

TK Flash
10-27-2013, 05:06 PM
My personal favorite is The Blue Mask. I can't say it's a nostalgic favorite - I only heard it for the first time a year or two ago - but I really loved that one.

Jeanie
10-27-2013, 08:35 PM
nkumhBVPGdg

Matchstick
10-27-2013, 10:40 PM

Hal Needham was the third.

Wolfgang
10-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Well shit.

Evil Dead Junkie
10-27-2013, 10:52 PM
wfzoyDOXfzY

Seems fitting.

Little Sampson
10-31-2013, 04:29 PM
To our neighbors:
What a beautiful fall! Everything shimmering and golden and all that incredible soft light. Water surrounding us.

Lou and I have spent a lot of time here in the past few years, and even though we’re city people this is our spiritual home.

Last week I promised Lou to get him out of the hospital and come home to Springs. And we made it!

Lou was a tai chi master and spent his last days here being happy and dazzled by the beauty and power and softness of nature. He died on Sunday morning looking at the trees and doing the famous 21 form of tai chi with just his musician hands moving through the air.

Lou was a prince and a fighter and I know his songs of the pain and beauty in the world will fill many people with the incredible joy he felt for life. Long live the beauty that comes down and through and onto all of us.

— Laurie Anderson
his loving wife and eternal friend

Guild
10-31-2013, 07:39 PM
The Velvet Underground was playing the first time I did drugs and the first time I had sex. I owe Mr. Reed much.

Now if you'll excuse meI have to go play The Halloween Parade fifty times in a row.

I was having sex the first time I tried drugs and Lou Reed was there!

Velvet Underground huh? I have never honestly given this band a single listen and now I have a discography on torrent because I heard the ones linked here.

MikeDinosaur
11-07-2013, 10:15 PM
I know I'm way late, but I was on a very long vacation and wow. The Velvet Underground is my favorite band ever, White Light/White Heat is my favorite album ever, Sister Ray's my favorite song ever, and Metal Machine Music is my favorite prank ever. A lot of his solo albums are awfully great too. This song's too often overlooked in his oeuvre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2532gJcCsA

Besides being the ultimate forever king of noise rock, he made lovely, gentle songs even my mom appreciated. I'd almost have a kid just for the chance to sing them this lullaby over and over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRrZD6HZAto

I really admired his willingness to keep putting out work consistently. Some of it was good, some of it wasn't, but he was really committed to a life of making art.

Pretty funny how people are more surprised at his death in 2013 than they would've been in 1978. I doubt the irony would have been lost on him. He was a mensch. And he once punched his friend David Bowie in the face. What a guy.