PDA

View Full Version : Sixteen years of llamas with sore bottoms: Farewell, Winamp

Droewyn
12-12-2013, 05:21 AM
AOL is pulling the plug on everyone's former favorite media player next week. (http://www.winamp.com/media-player/en) This saddens me, not out of nostalgia, but because I actually still use the damn thing at work as something that will play my MP3s without trying to manage my music collection or sync to the internet or offer purchasing suggestions or any of the other unnecessary crap Media Player or iTunes wants to do instead of just playing my MP3s. The tiny "classic" interface that shows song name and artist with a little digital equalizer is still pretty great next to all those full screen monstrosities.

So peace out, Winamp. You were swell.

Zef
12-12-2013, 05:37 AM
Aww :( Yeah, I still use it daily when I just want to load up a song by double-clicking it, and then having a tiny, unobtrusive control bar stick to the cornre of the screen --as opposed to the screen-hogging iTunes or WMP. I also use it a lot for chiptune playback! Ever since I found the SNESAmp plugin, I've never bothered looking for any alternate players.

I wonder if they'll also pull the Android version's associated services. Probably, I guess.

TK Flash
12-12-2013, 05:43 AM
I still use it daily

Droewyn
12-12-2013, 06:00 AM
There's a petition drive trying to convince AOL to either sell it to someone who will maintain it as a product, or allow it to go open source. (http://savewinamp.com/) They've got something like 45,000 signatures at the moment.

madhair60
12-12-2013, 06:06 AM
This is my player. It better go open source.

DANoWAR
12-12-2013, 06:33 AM
This is my player. It better go open source.

Droewyn
12-12-2013, 06:49 AM
And here I was expecting a lot of "Winamp? Is that where you play the mp3s you download off Napster?" cracks. I didn't realize a lot of people still use it, and for the same reasons I do.

Destil
12-12-2013, 11:40 AM
MP3 players never needed to be big, complex software. I still use winamp, too.

Mightyblue
12-12-2013, 01:24 PM
psst; foobar2k does all of what winamp does right out of the box with 90% less bloat!

But yeah, used it for ages before I got tired of dealing with its quirks.

Destil
12-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I switched to foobar at some point recently (when I moved to either Win 7 or win 8, can't remember) and it's a cleaner install for sure, but I prefer the old winamp UI.

Excitemike
12-12-2013, 01:59 PM
And here I was expecting a lot of "Winamp? Is that where you play the mp3s you download off Napster?" cracks. I didn't realize a lot of people still use it, and for the same reasons I do.

Half the people I told about this said they still used it.
I only told two people but still

Tefari
12-12-2013, 02:30 PM
psst; foobar2k does all of what winamp does right out of the box with 90% less bloat!

But yeah, used it for ages before I got tired of dealing with its quirks.

Aye. I used Winamp until it started taking too long for it to load on my awful old machines and then I switched to foobar. Winamp did have a much easier to play with equalizer, that's for sure.

Ted
12-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Winamp was pretty great but I switched to foobar a long time ago and never looked back.

TK Flash
12-12-2013, 04:26 PM
I never heard of foobar until fairly recently and haven't switched because iirc it did not allow me to map play/pause to a universal hotkey. I use ctrl+space in winamp and it's by far my favorite function.

The only other audio program I've ever spent much time with was itunes which is slow as molasses and all-around horrible. I hope winamp goes open source or at least allows me to keep using the program I have installed.

ajr82
12-12-2013, 04:30 PM
I use iTunes for the most part, but I still have Winamp 2.something installed and set as the default player for mp3s, so that if I want to quickly check a file from Windows Explorer it plays basically immediately.

Mightyblue
12-12-2013, 04:35 PM
You can?

File -> Preferences (Ctrl - P)

Keyboard Shortcuts

Add New

Select your Action from the list (Play/Pause is a ways down)

Click on the shortcut box, hit your button combo till it shows in the box

Click Global Shortcut

Click Apply, then OK

madhair60
12-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Foobar can fuck off, it looks like the readout on my bathroom scales. It looks like my thermostat. It looks like the abstract concept of "going to work" made manifest.

Winamp looks like a Jaffa Cake and is twice as delicious.

Mr. Sensible
12-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Is this the thread where we confess how little we care which media player we use as long as it's not WMP?

Dadaph
12-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Damnit, I should download the installer and keep it in my backup-stash for all eternity then.
Rarely using Windows for music playing anymore, but when I do, Winamp has been my #1 mp3 player since 1997.

Ted
12-13-2013, 08:08 AM
I never heard of foobar until fairly recently and haven't switched because iirc it did not allow me to map play/pause to a universal hotkey. I use ctrl+space in winamp and it's by far my favorite function.

Yeah, foobar can global hotkey like a mofo. Aside from converting tracks or loading a playlist, I never see it. In fact, I changed the volume, took a quick peek at my playlist, skipped a few tracks, and seeked ahead about 20 seconds all without leaving this textarea I'm typing in.

Seth Marati
12-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Son of a bitch, I meant to download the Pro version before it all went away, but it's telling me "store not available". Ehh. I'm sure I can find CD-ripping software somewhere.

Torgo
12-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Regardless of what happens, oldversion (http://www.oldversion.com/windows/winamp/) has you covered, and since we're sharing, I don't mind saying that all these years later 2.95 is still my music player of choice. I'm using it right now!

Sir Sly Ry
12-21-2013, 02:08 PM
what wht whaaaaattt

Yes, I also use winamp, many times throughout the day. I'll use WMP for like...CDs and wav files (obviously) and video stuff, but I want all of my mp3s to play through winamp. Damn. Well I mean, will you at least be able to download the thing even after they stop updating the application? Sorry if that question has already been addressed, I'm playing my stories right now.

Droewyn
12-21-2013, 02:57 PM
what wht whaaaaattt

Yes, I also use winamp, many times throughout the day. I'll use WMP for like...CDs and wav files (obviously) and video stuff, but I want all of my mp3s to play through winamp. Damn. Well I mean, will you at least be able to download the thing even after they stop updating the application? Sorry if that question has already been addressed, I'm playing my stories right now.

Well, they said they were going to shut down Winamp.com entirely, but it's past the deadline and they haven't done so yet. Pro is unavailable, as mentioned above.

Meanwhile, it looks like they may be in negotiations with Microsoft to sell it, along with Shoutcast. (http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/19/winamp-will-never-die/) This could be good or the worst thing ever, who knows. I'd rather it go open source, personally, but if they can make money by selling it AOL will go that route first.

Bottom line, grab your downloads now, while they're still hot.

Wolfgang
12-21-2013, 08:43 PM
I find iTunes to be much easier to use than Winamp. I've used both extensively (obviously I needed something during the years I had a PC), but iTunes always seemed straightforward whereas Winamp wanted me to mess sith directories and bullshit.

Even when I had a PC I was crap at using a PC

I realize this post is 100% entirely unwelcome here

Seth Marati
12-21-2013, 08:51 PM
I like Winamp for its ability to use plugins that play music from games in their native formats (SNES, PS1, DS, stuff like that). It's nice being able to tweak sound settings and to not put up with compression artifacts.

Droewyn
12-21-2013, 09:18 PM
I find iTunes to be much easier to use than Winamp. I've used both extensively (obviously I needed something during the years I had a PC), but iTunes always seemed straightforward whereas Winamp wanted me to mess sith directories and bullshit.

???

But iTunes has all that directory and file-management crap too? I mean, I have to tell it where my MP3s live in order for it to find them and put them in the library. Isn't that the same thing?

MagFlare
12-23-2013, 08:54 AM
The great thing about Winamp's file management nonsense is that it's easily ignored. I just find the song I want to listen to in the My Music folder, double-click it, and BOOM. Music.

And I love its visualizers. I used them to entertain my baby son.

See you at the crossroads, Winamp. :(

Abominable K
01-03-2014, 09:13 PM
I tended to use Winamp Remote a lot when I'm away from home to play my files from my desktop. Is there any decent alternative to that?

madhair60
01-21-2014, 04:47 AM

I found iTunes would organise my music completely wrong.

Droewyn
01-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Well, the site's still up. Sounds like the rumors of them being in talks to sell are pretty plausible.

Kirin
01-21-2014, 10:34 AM
I use iTunes at home on my Mac, but WinAmp at work on Windows. But I just checked and the version I'm running is literally over a decade old, so I don't think whatever happens to the current ownership is going to affect me much...

Droewyn
02-02-2014, 05:38 PM
.... and looks like it's been acquired. (http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/14/aol-sells-winamp-and-shoutcast-for-5-10m-to-radionomy-takes-12-stake-in-belgian-digital-audio-company/)