PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider

Maggie
06-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Anyone pick up Anniversary? I'm not sure that there are many big fans of the series here, but Parish seemed to have enjoyed it, at least in whatever preview version he was playing.

Personally, I'm surprised it came out so well. Legend was nice and all, but it was too short and too linear. Nothing really felt Tomb Raider-y. Anniversary, though, seems to hit all the right notes and maybe they'll take this forward with Legend 2.

Oh, and it has a neat commentary mode, where you can touch the save crystals from the original and it will activate a little exchange between Tobey Gard and... ah, the other guy... talking about whatever area you're currently in. More games should do that.

Jakanden
06-11-2007, 08:03 PM
No - but I will be downloading it on Gametap when I get a chance.

Jeanie
06-11-2007, 08:05 PM
I have TRA for the PS2 on order and I'm expecting it sometime this week. Looking foward to it after how suprisingly good Legends was. Man, when was the last time I said that?

Maggie
06-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah, it's been a while since I felt optimistic for the series, but Anniversary really blew me away. I had expected to like it, but not this much.

Eusis
06-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Yeah, downloaded it on GameTap and I've been preferring to play this over Odin Sphere. I'm surprised at how much I'm liking it, and it's probably the only remake that compares to Metroid: Zero Mission.

alexb
06-11-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm playing through the original at the moment.

Guy
06-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm waiting for the 360 release. I really loved Legend, though.

Parish
06-11-2007, 08:41 PM
In a nutshell: it's the game that has always potentially existed within the series, but had never quite been realized before. Really really good stuff.

Maggie
06-11-2007, 08:45 PM
If future games in the series follow its example, I'm going to be really happy. I even like how they did so well with the music, as well. The new stuff still manages to capture that eerie, unique mood that the first (and maybe, to some extent, the second and third) game was full of. Just listen to the background music for Croft Manor. it perfectly sets the tone.

And I like how the game seemed to have that free-floating feeling of dread, which hasn't been found in a TR game for quite a while. Sure, you know the room is empty and no skinless abominations are going to jump out at you, but... then again...

tungwene
06-11-2007, 09:10 PM
I bought Anniversary last week because it was only $20 at Best Buy. I wasn't planning on playing it immediately but now I think I may start once I finish Odin Sphere. I'm pretty psyched after reading the posts in this thread.

blitzchamp
06-11-2007, 09:26 PM
I've heard that it has the possiblity of giving me the same feeling the first one gave me when I went into those caves and jumped down to my death. wow this is great. =)

mr_bungle700
06-11-2007, 10:20 PM
This thread is most encouraging. I really enjoyed the first game, tank-like mechanics notwithstanding, so the idea of a Tomb Raider title with the world design and feel of the first one but bigger and with smoother controls is quite appealing.

alexb
06-11-2007, 10:23 PM
They need to lay off for a couple of years after this. Truncated dev cycles were the path to ruin the first time. That, and Core apparently not being able to code their way out of a paper bag.

Eusis
06-11-2007, 10:26 PM
That, and Core apparently not being able to code their way out of a paper bag.
Or attempting to update the controls whatsoever. Heck, my brief tryout of AoD on GameTap seems to control /worse/ than TR3 does or TR1 did on the PSX. Heck, Ico is actually similar in gameplay to the new Tomb Raiders and the PoP games, yet they just kept that tank crap, instead trying to innovate with some cheap RPG elements.

alexb
06-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I can't even fathom how they thought it would be wise to spontaneously change Lara's jumping abilities as the game progressed.

admozan
06-11-2007, 11:33 PM
I, too, grabbed it from GameTap but only dabbled with the first level. I downloaded Legends, too, which I never played.

Has anyone made it through every TR game? I quit after III, but GameTap has the later games available. I don't know that I want to go back to that old control scheme, though.

Nicholai
06-12-2007, 07:10 AM
I picked up Anniversary last week and have been enjoying it immensely. I've been a Tomb Raider fan since the first game on PSX, but I felt the series started to slide hard after TRII.

Legends was a good way to reinvigorate the franchise, but I enjoy Anniversary a bit more. Much like Prince of Persia, I enjoy that most combat is ancillary in Anniversary and that it is much more an adventure/action game than an action/adventure game. Legends, like the sequels to the redone PoP, made combat much more important. Certainly a strong remake and stacks up well, as mentioned before, to something like Metroid: Zero Mission.

Maggie
06-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I've played through all the Tomb Raiders, though I'm not sure if that's something I should really be advertising. I think I prefer the first three the most (even though the third is cruelly unfair and has some segments that pretty much can't be beaten without a strategy guide). The fourth and fifth have their moments, but after TR1, each game lost more and more of that mood and atmosphere that made the first so compelling. And five was basically an expansion pack.

Angel of Darkness... eh. It had a couple of good things to it, but it was buried in so much garbage that it didn't really matter. There was the whole "My legs feel stronger now" BS and all the bugs. I remember opening a door in the warehouse level and finding nothing on the other side but blank whiteness which you can fall into and never get out of. You can't even die, you just keep falling.

As for Legend, well, it's a good game, but short and it felt like I was on a guided tour of the areas. Every TR is linear, but this one really drew attention to it. More branching paths or hub levels would've been nice.

Anniversary, though, is just pretty great. Good level design, perfect atmosphere, fun secondary combat. I really hope they'll take all of this and use it in Legends 2.

shivam
06-12-2007, 12:26 PM
i liked it more than i thought i would.

alexb
06-12-2007, 12:30 PM
So why do you think they rebooted the entire story? You know, changing Lara's back story and the metaphysical status of her mom and dad and all? Do we know if Werner Von Croy still exists in this new telling?

Do you think it was done purely to make things gel better with the movies, or did it have something to do with Toby Gard not wanting to have to run with whatever the louts over at Core had created in his absence?

Maggie
06-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I'm curious about Von Croy, too.

I think in the commentary, Gard mentions how there were layers to the story he wanted to add to get the most of it, and I guess they only occurred to him later. The whole thing does work pretty nicely, and Lara actually has a personality this time. Things get particularly interesting in Natla's Mines. I hope they build on that in future games.

The commentary's really pretty awesome, though. Full of all kinds of fun things. It's got to be the coolest replayability feature I've ever seen.

alexb
06-12-2007, 12:48 PM
I haven't played TR:A. Just Legends. But she seems like less of a sociopath in the new games.

Maggie
06-12-2007, 12:49 PM
I haven't played TR:A. Just Legends. But she seems like less of a sociopath in the new games.

Yeah they make a pretty big deal of that in this game, and I think it was the right choice. They even toss in a nice MGS-y meta moment where you, as the gamer, are made to feel guilty. It's really interesting.

Jakanden
06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
I put about an hour and a half into it last night and I am admittedly impressed. I haven't played a Tomb Raider since the second one so I am by no means an expert, but I am enjoying it quite a bit.

I might have to download Legend (also on Gametap) now and play through it as well.

Guy
06-13-2007, 07:47 PM
I only played Legend, but I really liked Lara Croft as a character in that one. She was like a fusion of James Bond and Indiana Jones, only more compassionate and with boobs.

I later read up on the series and it looks like the original version of Lara was a cold-ass graverobbing bitch. So I'd say the shift was a good move.

Maggie
06-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah, Lara was a complete psycho. Heck, the entire plot of Tomb Raider 4 involves her trying to reseal a demon god that she released at the beginning of the game, apparently just for the hell of it.

Daydreamer
06-14-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm also digging TR:A, but seemingly contrary to most everyone else here I did not like Legends. It was definitely better than the recent interations of the series, but the focus the games weak FPS combat mechanics were a deal breaker for me. I like my platformers, ya know, platformy (PoP:WW, I'm looking at YOU). So long as TR:A sticks to the platform elements with the ocassional wolf pack or boss, I'm gold.

Kolbe
06-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Now that it has been announced for 360 (with no specific date), should I buy the PS2 version or wait the 360 one?

Makkara
06-22-2007, 04:26 PM
The PS2 version does have some slowdown in large areas, so you might want to wait. It's not game breaking or anything, but it is annoying.

Jakanden
06-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Now that it has been announced for 360 (with no specific date), should I buy the PS2 version or wait the 360 one?

According to the release, you have to have Tomb Raider Legends to download the Tomb Raider Anniversary episodes on the 360

alexb
06-22-2007, 08:02 PM
My biggest issue with Anniversary on PS2 is that progressive widescreen doesn't fill the screen. It's in a smaller window, presumably because the PS2 can't render it all full resolution, so the reduced the res a bit. The reworked music is very nice.

Schmidt
06-22-2007, 08:14 PM
I also read it will eventually be released as a standalone game.

Guy
06-22-2007, 08:19 PM
It's going to be released as a standalone title also, and that's the one I'm getting. I happen to have Legends and I very well could get the downloadable one, but.. meh.

Torgo
06-22-2007, 09:05 PM
In any case, outside of XBLA stuff, I really doubt the wisdom in downloading entire games onto that 20gb hd.

Andrew
06-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Good game, but quite buggy. It's quite noticeable when walking on and climbing around wooden surfaces. Lara can't hang from them, so she recoils rather than walking off, but the animation doesn't look natural at all--it's a quick flicker of polygons.

Collision is also sometimes wonky with wood--I've seen Lara visably walking 6 inches above the wood when I stepped off stone onto one of the broken wooden bridges in the lost valley. A mistimed jump on the wooden mechanism near the waterfall before the Lost Valley resulted in her running ON THE AIR INTO THE WALL for nearly a minute. I managed to walk just over the waterfall and stop running, though, allowing her to fall safely into the drink below.

There's also music stuttering when first entering really large areas.

The PC version had some patches released already for various issues, some that don't seem to be in the PS2 game. However, I hope they fix these problems up in any future releases.

It probably is the wood surfaces themselves--I don't recall there being things like them in Legend.

Jakanden
06-23-2007, 03:14 PM
It's going to be released as a standalone title also, and that's the one I'm getting. I happen to have Legends and I very well could get the downloadable one, but.. meh.

Ah, I didn't see that but I guess that is cool. I would say wait for the 360 version then just for Achievements, but this is due to the fact that I am a Gamerscore whore.