PDA

View Full Version : Good News, Everyone! We Have a Futurama Appreciation Thread!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

ajr82
06-22-2010, 11:55 AM
The best part of the "Amazon Women In The Mood" commentary is how happy the writers are that they get to make all the sexist jokes they want, so long as the character saying it gets smacked for it.

Knight
06-22-2010, 12:30 PM
The Amazon Women in the episode is really good. "ME WANT SNU SNU!!" Hahah! I love Zapp Brannigan in that one. "We need rest. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised."
Zapp is great in that one. "She's built like a steak-house, but she handles like a bistro!"

teg
06-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Alternative question:

What's the worst episode of Futurama?

(The correct answer is "That's Lobstertainment")

Wolfgang
06-22-2010, 12:57 PM
I think my favorite is The Farnsworth Parabox.

Wheels
06-22-2010, 12:59 PM
oh Futurama. What a long strange trip its been. You all better be planning on watching this and giving it its much deserved ratings!

TheSL
06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Alternative question:

That's the second worst. The worst is "A Taste of Freedom". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Taste_of_Freedom) Its so weird, because I love Zoidberg, but episodes centering around him tend to suck.

I mean, other than "Why Must I Be a Crustacean in Love?" which was riffing heavily on "Amok Time" from season 2 of Star Trek TOS.

Rosencrantz
06-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Alternative question:

"A Leela of Her Own" and/or the freaking Egyptian planet episode. Although, the latter has one of the best audio commentaries -- they barely speak about the episode at all, and Billy West and John DiMaggio do the whole thing in-character as Fry and Bender, respectively.

Patrick
06-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Alternative question:

I can't disagree.

Adrenaline
06-22-2010, 06:25 PM
My favorite is "The Birdbot of Ice-Catraz". My wife kind of hates it since so many penguins get shot and/or eaten, though.

I applaud that episode's strong anti-penguin stance.

I think the most joke-dense Futurama ever gets is the "What if life were more like a video game?" bit from one of the Tales of Interest episodes. I'm pretty sure every line in that segment is a joke.

It's just to bad all of those jokes are so outdated and unfunny.

ArugulaZ
06-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't know what Lobstertainment gets so much flack. It's not terrific, but it's certainly not the worst. I think the worst two episodes are the ones where Bender moves beyond "comically repugnant" into the territory of "complete asshole." You know, the one where he adopts the kids at the orphanage and tries to sell them for meat, and the aforementioned Egyptian episode where he treats his friends like garbage. I also didn't care for Luck of the Fryrish, although it seems to have its fans. A little too schmaltzy for me, and I don't dig Fry's petulance ("I should be in that grave!") either.

Adrenaline
06-22-2010, 06:47 PM
The Cyber House Rules was hilarious. And he learned to love those kids by the end!

Reinforcements
06-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Easily the worst episode is the first episode. It's awkward and some of the voices are wrong.

Rascally Badger
06-22-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't know what Lobstertainment gets so much flack. It's not terrific, but it's certainly not the worst. I think the worst two episodes are the ones where Bender moves beyond "comically repugnant" into the territory of "complete asshole." You know, the one where he adopts the kids at the orphanage and tries to sell them for meat, and the aforementioned Egyptian episode where he treats his friends like garbage. I also didn't care for Luck of the Fryrish, although it seems to have its fans. A little too schmaltzy for me, and I don't dig Fry's petulance ("I should be in that grave!") either.

You are wrong about nearly everything. The one where Bender adopts the kids is one of his more "human" episodes. And The Luck of the Fryish is one of the top 4 or 5 episodes. Lobstertainment gets flack because the only thing good about it is Calculon. (Calculon and Zap Brannigan make every episode better)

I've never cared for Obsoletely Fabulous

Sprite
06-22-2010, 06:54 PM
oh Futurama. What a long strange trip its been. You all better be planning on watching this and giving it its much deserved ratings!
RATINGS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!
GOOD NIGHT!

ajr82
06-23-2010, 06:08 AM
Alternative question:

It's not great, but "A Leela Of Her Own" is worse.

Calorie Mate
06-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Easily the worst episode is the first episode. It's awkward and some of the voices are wrong.

No way! I rewatched it about a year ago and was really surpised at how many jokes I laughed at.

GOOD NIGHT!

Thank you.

Wheels
06-23-2010, 01:26 PM
GOOD NIGHT!

I know :P

Watch it anyway

Octopus Prime
06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
I honestly cannot think of a single episode of Futurama that I dislike enough to even consider a thing like "worst".

I guess it would be "Birdbot of Icecatraz".

I guess.

Posaune
06-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Uhh, I liked Leela of Her Own and have no big issue with Lobstertainment.

I'd say that video game section of the Tales of Interest episode is worse for me.

But maybe I just really like the terrible future Hank Aaron descendant.

locit
06-23-2010, 05:18 PM
The second Santa episode really falls flat if you go back to it, as it's the only one I can think of that's really, truly unfunny for painfully long stretches.

bobbywatson
06-23-2010, 06:15 PM
The second Santa episode really falls flat if you go back to it, as it's the only one I can think of that's really, truly unfunny for painfully long stretches.

I liked it. The song was pretty good.

For some reason though, my favorite episode is still "Bender Should Not Be Allowed on Television".

Rascally Badger
06-23-2010, 08:38 PM
I liked it. The song was pretty good.

For some reason though, my favorite episode is still "Bender Should Not Be Allowed on Television".

Its an episode that took on a life of its own thanks to its star: Calculon! Calculon may be my favorite character on the show. He's just so much fun.

Good enough, splice in some reactions shots of me and shove it on the air.

Nerdy
06-23-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm watching it come back tomorrow with my brother.

Since it's his birthday at the same time, we're making a huge deal of it.

ArugulaZ
06-23-2010, 11:20 PM
"Do you have an extra Goto 10 line?"

Heh heh, nerd humor. They lose me when they start talking about astrophysics, but the mid-level nerdery is great.

TheSL
06-24-2010, 05:40 AM
"Do you have an extra Goto 10 line?"

Heh heh, nerd humor. They lose me when they start talking about astrophysics, but the mid-level nerdery is great.

In the episode where Bender becomes a werecar one of the family photos in the mansion is Commodore LXIV (i.e. 64).

Reinforcements
06-24-2010, 05:56 AM
The only thing bad about the second Robot Santa episode is that they couldn't get John Goodman to do the voice again.

"I'm Santa!" "I'm also Santa!" "And I'm Santa!"
"And I'm his friend Jesus!"
"You people aren't Santa! You aren't even robots! How dare you lie in front of Jesus!"

"Oh my god, it's the real Santa! Get him, Jesus!"
"I help those who help themselves! Whoop-woopwoopwoopwoop!"

Anyway, I am SO EXCITED that today is Futurama day AND new iPhone day! It's the best day.

discoalucard
06-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Are we good to talk about the new episodes?

For the first one...The concept of having flesh still on a skeleton squicks the fuck out of me, so I was hugely uncomfortable for a good chunk of this episode. Reminded me more of the movies, in that it concentrated more on the sci-fi/drama than the funny.

The second one I liked a lot, at least 90% of it. Then Zapp's confessions grew tedious and Leela being forced into doing him at gunpoint was extremely uncomfortable even though it was treated lightly.

On another note, despite owning the DVDs for years, I realized had never seen "Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles" because I had assumed it was the superhero episode, and not the one where they got turned into kids. It was like watching a new episode, but not!

teg
06-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Oh, also, there's one thing that just bugs me:
"Fetal stem cells? Aren't those controversial?"
"In your time, yes!"

Fry isn't from the present. Fry is from ten years ago. You can't just use him any time you want to make a current events joke anymore.

Adrenaline
06-24-2010, 07:15 AM
To be fair to the future people, they thought the 1950s and 2000s were basically the same thing.

ArugulaZ
06-24-2010, 08:01 AM
In the episode where Bender becomes a werecar one of the family photos in the mansion is Commodore LXIV (i.e. 64).

I wish they would have called him Commodore Victor XX myself, but what can 'ya do?

I also liked the spoiled, lazy nephew in the will, named Tandy and wearing a "Eurotrash-80" T-shirt.

ArugulaZ
06-24-2010, 08:02 AM
To be fair to the future people, they thought the 1950s and 2000s were basically the same thing.

"Let's disco dance, Hammurabi!"
"Dy-no-MITE!"

Pheeel
06-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Oh, I spotted a good nerd reference yesterday. In "Spanish Fry", the tube the aliens use to abduct Fry is has the same pattern as the old Windows 95 "3D Pipes" screensaver. I'm guessing everyone else spotted that one years ago, though...

Calorie Mate
06-24-2010, 09:27 AM

But were they a controversy in 2000? Would a layman like Fry know about them in the year 2000?

ringworm
06-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Does it matter? I personally think it's totally fine for them to be anachronistic with Fry for the sake of comedy.

Rosencrantz
06-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Ah, but right after Fry asks if they are controversial, the professor says: "In your time, yes. But nowadays, SHUT UP!" (Or something like that. In any case, he goes on to say that he had to murder adults for their stem cells.) So, it's possible that Fry was asking in regards to them being controversial in the year 300X.

Badinage
06-24-2010, 08:19 PM
These two episodes were very good for establishing the show's return. Not yet on par with "classic" Futurama, but close. I thought the second episode lost some steam as it neared the end, though. However, I'm wondering if we'll see more of Zapp Brannigan's near-sociopathic side of bastardry.

Rascally Badger
06-24-2010, 09:02 PM
So the first new episodes were good. I doubt that they will be anyone's favorite episodes, but I would call them equal to the better parts of the movies.

The Zapp Brannigan show stuff from the 2nd episode was especially good.

Adrenaline
06-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah that was a good time. More fun than the movies for my money.

Badinage
06-24-2010, 09:43 PM
So the first new episodes were good. I doubt that they will be anyone's favorite episodes, but I would call them equal to the better parts of the movies.

The Zapp Brannigan show stuff from the 2nd episode was especially good.

"Once again we meet at last!"

Rascally Badger
06-24-2010, 10:02 PM
The more I think about it the more I am uncomfortable with the end of the second episode. But the Transcredible Exploits of Zapp Brannigan more than make up for that. And Wonder Woman's invisible plane.

Blergmeister
06-25-2010, 07:01 AM
My wife came home last night while Zapp and Leela where flying around in the invisible plane. She saw them scooting around in air in that sitting position without context. Then she turned and went to change from work. It was akwardly delightful.

SwiftTheRedFox
06-25-2010, 07:37 AM
The more I think about it the more I am uncomfortable with the end of the second episode. But the Transcredible Exploits of Zapp Brannigan more than make up for that. And Wonder Woman's invisible plane.

Yeah the invisible ship was awesome. I felt a little weird watching a Zapp Brannigan that came off as insecure. The best part about him is his self-esteem and being sure of who he is. Otherwise I enjoyed the two episodes. Very happy to have it back.

Sprite
06-25-2010, 07:51 AM
I didn't like the first episode, but the second one made me laugh quite a few times.

It was also my first time seeing Into the Wild Green Yonder. I was surprised by how much I liked it.

TheSL
06-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Another nerd joke in the first one-

Studio (1^2)(2^1)(3^3) = Studio 54

SwiftTheRedFox
06-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Another nerd joke in the first one-

Studio (1^2)(2^1)(3^3) = Studio 54

I was wondering what that meant. How do you get 54 there? I'm having a hard time remembering what the ^ represents.

TheSL
06-25-2010, 08:19 AM
To the power, so it boils down to 1 * 2 * 27, which is 54.

Wheels
06-25-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm easily amused so this was 1 hour of good times, though the second episode was much better. Its just good to have this show back.

ThornGhost
06-25-2010, 08:44 AM
One of the things I like about Futurama is that the plots are actually interesting, and don't just serve as the vehicle for jokes like most comedy shows.

That said, I thought the first episode was okay, and understand it was just a bit of a wobble on the tight line that Futurama must walk to balance gags and story.

Also, I'm fully expecting Zapp to graduate to "regular" cast member this time around. He might not be hanging around Planet Express (if it is still Planet Express - the ship did blow up,) but I expect the creators to find more and more reasons to put him on screen. He featured in both episodes so far and even got the ending gag on the first one. He's full of comedic potential beyond what's been done with him so far.

SwiftTheRedFox
06-25-2010, 08:46 AM
To the power, so it boils down to 1 * 2 * 27, which is 54.

So (2^4) would be 16, right?

NavelsAreNeat
06-25-2010, 08:53 AM
So (2^4) would be 16, right?

Yes.

SwiftTheRedFox
06-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Yes.

Awesome. Sorry for the impromptu math lesson. Just needed a refresher.

So how about that kinda naked Leela? Bowchickawowwow!

Josh_AnimeBum
06-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Comedy Central/Fox/somebody needs to put a legit streaming version of this episode online soon for those of us without cable. Of course I'm sort of worried that it won't happen since there seems to be no indication on their official site that they will be doing so.

Wheels
06-25-2010, 11:33 AM
my instinct is to hide in this barrel, like the wily fish.

Wolfgang
06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
How much do I want a Chamber of Understanding? So much.

Calorie Mate
06-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Aw shit I forgot to watch it AND I forgot to TiVo it. Noooooo!

blinkpen
06-25-2010, 01:57 PM
My friend and I laughed pretty hard at the episodes. I would watch more.

The part where Bender climbs out of the monster's mouth after exploding and killing it and says "God, what does it take to kill me?" cracked us up.

Wolfgang
06-25-2010, 02:00 PM
So, once and for all, is Talking About Streaming Television verboten here? As in, maybe not torrenting but watching episodes uploaded to the web shortly after they air? Especially if the network won't stream them """""""legally"""""""?

Calorie Mate
06-25-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't see why it matters if they've already aired.

Edit: of course, I don't see why it matters before they aired either, assuming you don't have a Nielson box.

ringworm
06-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I pay for cable and don't have a neilson box. I feel no moral guilt whatsoever for downloading via torrents television that airs on cable.

Wolfgang
06-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Because it seems like providing Watch It Now links for people who didn't get a chance to see it is seen as sketchy at best. Not that they're hard to find, but still.

MCBanjoMike
06-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Alternative question:

Apparently I'm still the only person on this forum who thinks that a good third of all Futurama episodes are completely mediocre? I really like them when they're good, but I've always felt the series was way more inconsistent than, say, the Simpsons.

taosterman
06-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Apparently I'm still the only person on this forum who thinks that a good third of all Futurama episodes are completely mediocre? I really like them when they're good, but I've always felt the series was way more inconsistent than, say, the Simpsons.

I'm with you, but that still leaves a stellar two-thirds, which is more than enough for me to adore the show.

Deptford
06-25-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm mostly just waiting for the new episodes to come to DVD.

Futurama? Great!

Futurama's commentaries? Gold!

ravinoff
06-25-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm mostly just waiting for the new episodes to come to DVD.

Futurama? Great!

Futurama's commentaries? Gold!

This man speaks the truth.

Garrison
06-25-2010, 04:59 PM
You know those transition shots where they play a short variant of the Futurama theme? There's gotta be a word for those things

Were there any of those last night?

Anyways, I thought the episodes were pretty good overall. I wasn't too impressed last night, but after remembering some moments throughout today, I've warmed up to them quite a bit. Something was definitely off, but I guess it's to be expected given how long it's actually been since we've seen Futurama that was explicitly meant for a twenty-two minute timeslot.

locit
06-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Man those... those weren't very good at all. Good think I don't have to watch them!

Reinforcements
06-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Man, unless you're pretending that the last, like, half of the Simpsons doesn't exist Futurama is WAY more consistently great. I'd say that Futurama might still have more good episodes even if you picked the BEST x episodes of the Simpsons, where x is the number of Futurama episodes.

dussssstin
06-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Last nights episodes were good but it wasn't the hilarious the series needed.

Andrew
06-25-2010, 08:10 PM
To me it seemed like there were a lot of weird, random sorts of gags. I hate to say like Family Guy, so I'll just say paced like Family Guy, but less dumb. Like the part where Robo-Leela discovered she was a robot and spent the rest of the day looking at her arm and screaming. WTF?

In a sense, it seems like they were doing a lot of that in the movies and it's spilling over. It seems like they've essentially dumped Cubert as a regular character (not that he was terribly regular anyway). Plus, over the course of the movies it seems as if the characters have been going through flanderization, boiled down to their most basic traits. Amy in particular has been completely flanderized into a one-note dumb-slut joke character. She's Kelly Bundy at this point.

Again, much of this could be just getting adjusted to not having to put up with the rushed pacing of the movies. Futurama at its worst is still pretty good.

Nobuyuki
06-25-2010, 08:23 PM
To me it seemed like there were a lot of weird, random sorts of gags. I hate to say like Family Guy, so I'll just say paced like Family Guy, but less dumb. Like the part where Robo-Leela discovered she was a robot and spent the rest of the day looking at her arm and screaming. WTF?

What annoyed me about that bit is that they already did that exact joke on the Simpsons, and it wasn't funny then. Other than that though I really liked both episodes. They're not the best of the series but still quite good.

Josh_AnimeBum
06-25-2010, 08:32 PM
So, once and for all, is Talking About Streaming Television verboten here? As in, maybe not torrenting but watching episodes uploaded to the web shortly after they air? Especially if the network won't stream them """""""legally"""""""?

I'm sure there is some really stupid legal reason that they aren't doing this, but it seems to me to make some really bad business sense to not stream them. However I would figure that a reasonable chunk of the shows audience would definitely watch legit streams of the episodes. Legit streams = some advertising dollars & acknowledgment of viewers = better than no advertising dollars with no acknowledgment of viewers. Oh well I will probably have to make my way to the murkier waters of the internet to watch them since Comedy Central & Fox were too stupid to come to a streaming agreement.

Chu
06-25-2010, 09:11 PM
You guys are pretty critical. Ah well, I enjoyed the episodes!

ringworm
06-26-2010, 12:57 AM
If there's one thing the Internet loves more than hating, it's hating things it loves.

Wolfgang
06-26-2010, 04:20 AM
You guys are pretty critical. Ah well, I enjoyed the episodes!

Your tastes are bad and you should FEEL bad!

Not really, I liked them too.

Ostrich
06-26-2010, 05:05 AM
I also enjoyed the two episodes, and I actually found myself laughing harder than I had with anything else in a long while. Honestly, I went in not expecting much at all because of my distaste for the second and third movies, which is why I hadn't bothered to see the fourth. I am looking forward to more!

I was also happy that they kept the Fry and Leela relationship going. I'm expecting that they might find a reason to temporarily end it sometime in the future, but it'll be fun will it lasts.

locit
06-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Plus, over the course of the movies it seems as if the characters have been going through flanderization, boiled down to their most basic traits. Amy in particular has been completely flanderized into a one-note dumb-slut joke character. She's Kelly Bundy at this point.
Ohmygod I've never had a term for this, but that's what it is! Flanderization!!

Donny
06-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Neither of these episodes did a whole lot for me but then I wasn't really excited for new Futurama in the first place. They should REALLY stop trying to be topical if all their pop culture references are going to be so dated. The second episode especially felt like it was about six years too late (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXVIII_halftime_show_controversy). The flanderization criticisms are dead on, because these felt more like generic Futurama than anything else.

We'll see how next week goes. Hopefully we'll get something a bit more character driven.

Rosencrantz
06-26-2010, 06:08 PM
They should REALLY stop trying to be topical if it all their pop culture references are going to be so dated. The second episode especially felt like it was about six years too late (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXVIII_halftime_show_controversy).

That's true. It reminded me of how Bender's Big Score was about internet scams, several years after they were topical or interesting.

However, I did like the Flash Gordon bits in the second episode.

Donny
06-26-2010, 06:14 PM
However, I did like the Flash Gordon bits in the second episode.

Oh, me too. Those are a bit more timeless though, straight up satire instead of commentary on recent (or not so recent) events and pop culture.

Rascally Badger
06-27-2010, 02:41 AM
This talk of flanderization makes me think people did not watch the show before the movies. The characters were basically one or two jokes from the very start. Fry is dumb. Leela is violent. Bender is a horrible monster with a heart of 40% gold (as well as 60% iron, 35% zinc, a 2% nickel impurity and copious amounts of dolomite). The Professor is crazy and senile. Amy is kind of clumsy and kind of slutty. Hermes likes to limbo and is Jamaican. Zapp, Kif, Calculon are all exactly like they were from the beginning. (Cubert isn't and never has been an important character. I'd be suprised is he had roles in more than 5 episodes) These are how the characters were introduced. Zoidberg did go through some "flanderization" but that was an organic growth of his bad doctor joke. Your "flanderization" implies some sort of change that did not happen. Fry was too dumb to press a button in Season 1. In episode 4 Bender cut Fry's throat with a bottle. Leela beats up cops in the pilot because they insulted her nose.

The movie did no more to change the characters than the original series did. The movies were bloated and tried too hard. They had to please the fans that fought to get the show back as well as bring in new viewers to drive the sales needed for a full revival. Plus the show changed from 22 minutes of concentrated plot and jokes to an 80 minute movies. Some ideas that would make great TV episodes do not work as well when padded out for the movie. And the classic "good stuff" from the series is still present in the movies. Bender in the League of Robots would have been one of the best episodes if it had been stand alone. The same goes for Fry reading minds and working for Mr. Wong. The writers were clearly more comfortable with the TV episode format.

And now we have the new series. The second episode, after watching it a second time, is just short of being one of the great episodes. Rebirth suffered from the delusion that people needed to know how things got back to normal after the end of Into the Wild Green Yonder. Those of you who hated the movies probably did not like that episode because the whole purpose of it is closing off that era of the show. And it is admittedly a weak episode because nothing was gained by showing the conclusion instead of just moving on. And still it managed some great moments and continued some themes from earlier episodes. Such as characters not liking their doubles because they do not like themselves. Repeating themes is much of what Futurama was about. How many times did Bender almost learn a lesson about emotions or Fry improve himself to fail to win Leela's love.

I cannot figure out what people expected from two episodes. The show was never 22 minutes of laughs. The plot matters and the jokes are layered so that you laugh six times on the first viewing and at six different times on the second. They kept the progress that Leela and Fry's relationship made. They are not together, but she is muck more receptive to his advances. Why not complain about the real "problems" with the show. The new animation is too slick and many of the characters sound slightly different, especially Fry. It's almost as though they went years without making an episode.

But I'm tired of getting worked up about this. Futurama is back where it belongs, TV's second best show. Those who disagree have bad taste and should be ignored.

taidan
06-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Leela and Fry's relationship

I'll admit to having enjoyed some of the more emotional, tearjerknig episodes of Futurama, but I really don't care about the above, and wouldn't mind if it didn't exist (or at the very least, was not dragged out).

Wolfgang
06-27-2010, 08:03 PM
If I got more worked up about defending the show rather than just watching it happily, I probably would have made the post Rascally Badger just did.

teg
06-27-2010, 09:15 PM
TV's second best show.DYING TO KNOW

Rascally Badger
06-27-2010, 09:48 PM
DYING TO KNOW

Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the best and worst thing on television. Best because it is really really funny. Worst because they are the most horrible people ever portrayed on television.

Patrick
06-28-2010, 08:42 AM
I think that the main thing that's different with the new episodes and movies vs. the original series is that the newer stuff seems incredibly convoluted. There are all kinds of weird jumps in logic and unnecessarily complicated plots. I still think it's really funny though, and hopefully they get back ionto the groove and simplify things a bit after a few episodes.

Calorie Mate
06-28-2010, 01:02 PM
The first episode was pretty ok, and the second episode had some good jokes...and then the last 10 minutes weren't funny and eventually were pretty uncomfortable. I don't really get what they were thinking, there.

MCBanjoMike
06-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Man, unless you're pretending that the last, like, half of the Simpsons doesn't exist Futurama is WAY more consistently great. I'd say that Futurama might still have more good episodes even if you picked the BEST x episodes of the Simpsons, where x is the number of Futurama episodes.

I stopped watching The Simpsons 10 years ago, so in my mind it's basically wall-to-wall excellent.

Patrick
06-28-2010, 01:15 PM
The first episode was pretty ok, and the second episode had some good jokes...and then the last 10 minutes weren't funny and eventually were pretty uncomfortable. I don't really get what they were thinking, there.

Yeah, the ending was bizarre.

Rascally Badger
07-01-2010, 07:34 PM
It was better than either of last weeks episodes. I like how the Mom plot was not resolved at all. And in book it gets giant bonus points for Calculon and Scruffy appearances. The only weakness was the Susan Boyle. I laughed for an embarrassing amount of time at Fry's diving mishap.

TheSL
07-01-2010, 07:50 PM
See, I thought this week was just one long "Look! We're still hip and relevant!" joke.

Adrenaline
07-01-2010, 08:21 PM
It was better than either of last weeks episodes.

Neh.

Donny
07-01-2010, 10:13 PM
See, I thought this week was just one long "Look! We're still hip and relevant!" joke.

Pretty much this. Iphone, twitter, and Jared from Subway jokes? Yeah I think I'm done with Futurama.

Adventure Time! is my master now.

mopinks
07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
yeah, I think this episode was a huuuuuge step down from the first two.

the entire Susan Boyle thing was just godawful.

Andrew
07-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm biased because I hate Apple, and love to see them getting ripped on, but I laughed. However, it didn't seem like Futurama much at all.

You could have pretty much swapped the names in the script from Futurama characters to South Park characters and I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Rascally Badger
07-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Okay you guys keep being aggressively wrong and I'll keep being cool and awesome and right while enjoy great new Futurama.

mopinks
07-02-2010, 12:12 AM
I have enjoyed new Futurama very much overall! that particular episode was just way stank.

Sprite
07-02-2010, 12:50 PM
the entire Susan Boyle thing was just godawful.
Agreed. I move to have that plot point named the worst in the history of the show.

figcube
07-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Now I get it. I can't believe I missed such a bad pun.

TheSL
07-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I can't believe they wasted Craig Ferguson on voicing the thing.

Alixsar
07-02-2010, 01:17 PM
So I missed last night's episode, but I did catch the 2nd episode and I saw the first one just the day before. One thing that worries me about the show now: way more "topical" humor. Stem cells? iPhones? And now Susan Boyle, apparently? Nononononono...NO FUTURAMA! BAD FUTURAMA! Why are you emulating Family Guy?!

Adrenaline
07-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Futurama has been topical before, just never so OBVIOUSLY and with such TERRIBLE jokes.

Alixsar
07-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Futurama has been topical before, just never so OBVIOUSLY and with such TERRIBLE jokes.

That is all truth, and it is terrifying.

SwiftTheRedFox
07-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Yeah it is kind of sad but I'm still glad to have Futurama back. Whether it's bad or not, I still enjoy watching it. That puke/diarrhea goat was pretty funny.

TheGreatSombrero
07-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I've liked pretty much everything so far except the Boyle thing, which was not funny at all - they REALLY should have put more thought into that one. I laughed way too hard at dot-mom.

Also, I read this whole thread so I could be sure I was the first to make this observation: In the old timey Zap Brannigan show Leela is played by Fry's grandma. Watch it again and see!

O..O~
07-02-2010, 11:36 PM
It was a medicore episode ,I had trouble really buying into just how topical it really was given the time frame it is supposed to take place. They have remained topical in episodes before without erasing the time frame so much before (the bush/gore election with the two clone candidates for example) I don't know how they weren't able to do it with this.

And the apple fanbase jokes were things I had heard before. The susan boil bit made me wish I was watching the lucy daughter of the devil episode where satan has a talking teratoma, since that was actually kind of funny.

Rascally Badger
07-03-2010, 12:57 AM
But the topical stuff was completely incidental, and fairly funny. The best part of the episode is how it subverted the structure of a normal TV show episode. The Mom stuff never actually tied into the stuff with Fry and Bender. In fact none of the main cast ever even knew Mom had any sort of sinister plan. Yeah they did that in her first appearance(A Fishful of Dollars), but then her stealing Fry's money helped him realize that he needed his friends. It never factors into Fry's story at all in this episode. In a normal TV show Fry's dive into the puke diarrhea would be what makes Leela realize that Fry has learned his lesson about being a good friend, but again that is incidental. Leela is the one who learns the lesson. The episode played with normal episode structures in interesting ways.

Chu
07-03-2010, 04:18 AM
The episode started out okay, but then took a nosedive. Into puke-diarrhea. Hope next week's episode is better.

Adrenaline
07-03-2010, 08:57 AM
The best part of the episode is how it subverted the structure of a normal TV show episode. The Mom stuff never actually tied into the stuff with Fry and Bender. In fact none of the main cast ever even knew Mom had any sort of sinister plan. Yeah they did that in her first appearance(A Fishful of Dollars), but then her stealing Fry's money helped him realize that he needed his friends. It never factors into Fry's story at all in this episode.

I'm pretty sure that was just bad writing.

Wolfgang
07-03-2010, 10:59 AM
MORE FUTURAMA FOR ME THEN

Donny
07-03-2010, 12:08 PM

Not to mention that it was bad writing in service of a message/punchline about rabid consumerism that'd make George Romero slap his forehead over how forced it was.

Adrenaline
07-03-2010, 01:35 PM
MORE FUTURAMA FOR ME THEN

I love Futurama as much as anyone. I just acknowledge when an episode isn't very good.

Rascally Badger
07-03-2010, 09:56 PM

Alright, I've made a note that deliberate subversion of expected structure = bad writing. Thank you for informing me.

Merus
07-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Alright, I've made a note that deliberate subversion of expected structure = bad writing. Thank you for informing me.

What he's saying is that he doesn't think it was deliberate.

Crested Penguin
07-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Man I just saw the eyepod episode and was really not prepared for how disappointing it was :( Do they have new writers or something?

Adrenaline
07-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Man I just saw the eyepod episode and was really not prepared for how disappointing it was :( Do they have new writers or something?

Nope, it's pretty much the same group.

Dawnswalker
07-05-2010, 12:44 PM
None of the new episodes have really been as good as the old ones, for me. That might be because I've placed the old ones on a pedestal after years and years of reruns, but I hope they can prove me wrong soon.

The eyepod episode was a new low, because they did a show with the exact same "lol Apple people is stupid" theme, with a lot of the exact same jokes, on The Simpsons a while ago. In fact, I suspect that FOX and Apple must have some bad blood between them somehow, because there was a time when FOX shows had a distinct "anti-i-thing/technology" theme going on.

ArugulaZ
07-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Any reason it was called the eye-Phone? Because man, that's just lazy. That's as bad as calling the CEO of Apple "Steve Mobs." What kind of parody is that? You just changed one letter! I could get better satirical names from a copy of Mad magazine.

Adrenaline
07-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Any reason it was called the eye-Phone? Because man, that's just lazy.

You install it in your eye socket.

ArugulaZ
07-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Okay. Slightly better. (Also, ouch.)

Kate or Die!
07-05-2010, 04:50 PM
I could get better satirical names from a copy of Mad magazine.

Have you read Mad lately?

JohnB
07-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Aside from the Transcredible Exploits, these episodes were meh. But that's okay, new content is king.

Patrick
07-06-2010, 08:09 AM
I thought the new episode started out strong, and only really went off base with the boil.

Rascally Badger
07-06-2010, 01:05 PM
I thought the new episode started out strong, and only really went off base with the boil.

Thank you. I was beginning to think I saw a different episode than everybody else.

SwiftTheRedFox
07-06-2010, 01:56 PM

Thank you. I was beginning to think I saw a different episode than everybody else.

Yeah I think the Susan Boil pop culture reference just pushed it over the edge for everybody. It didn't bother me as much but it was a tad bit stupid. I mean who gives a crap about Susan Boyle the one hit wonder of a terrible reality show. The eyePod stuff was good though. I enjoyed that.

mopinks
07-06-2010, 06:18 PM
well, I mean, if you're halfway through a tasty sandwich and you suddenly find a used condom in it, it's pretty hard to enjoy the rest of the sandwich.

ArugulaZ
07-06-2010, 06:26 PM
But that's what gives it the flavor!

SwiftTheRedFox
07-06-2010, 06:56 PM
well, I mean, if you're halfway through a tasty sandwich and you suddenly find a used condom in it, it's pretty hard to enjoy the rest of the sandwich.

That, sir, is a foul example. Of course if I was a prostitute then I might totally enjoy that condom sandwich.

Rascally Badger
07-06-2010, 07:04 PM

It's more like halfway through a tasty sandwich biting into a pickle and saying "eww I hate pickles!" But when you open up the sandwich you see that there was only one pickle, so you eat the rest of the tasty sandwich.

Now if your problem is each of the three new episodes has had the one pickle somewhere then I see where your complaint comes from. But even with the nasty pickles, Futurama is still some of the best sandwiches.

I would love a sandwich. Tuna salad or turkey.

ArugulaZ
07-06-2010, 07:16 PM
I would love a sandwich. Tuna salad or turkey.

I'll get the condoms!

Rascally Badger
07-06-2010, 07:39 PM
I'll get the condoms!

But no pickles

mopinks
07-06-2010, 08:51 PM
It's more like halfway through a tasty sandwich biting into a pickle and saying "eww I hate pickles!" But when you open up the sandwich you see that there was only one pickle, so you eat the rest of the tasty sandwich.

this is the case with pickles, but this condom was not a pickle.

it was a condom

Rascally Badger
07-06-2010, 10:02 PM
this is the case with pickles, but this condom was not a pickle.

it was a condom

But it was a pickle. It was not good, but it was something that conceivably belongs in a sandwich, just not a good one. Which is why that part was unpleasant. But the rest of the sandwich was delicious.

Patrick
07-07-2010, 08:22 AM
You guys are being silly. Seeing a single bad joke =/= eating a condom.

Jeez.

:eyerollemoticon

mopinks
07-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I choose to believe that you guys just have a very low opinion of pickles!

SDMX
07-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I choose to believe that you guys just have a very low opinion of pickles!

Or that you're a patron of a truly horrifying Subway.

mopinks
07-07-2010, 03:50 PM
don't take the double meat if you can't take the heat

Adrenaline
07-08-2010, 08:16 PM
I thought that was better than last week's. Even if it pains me to see them shove two characters together awkwardly for the sake of a thinly-veiled string of topical jokes.

Rascally Badger
07-08-2010, 09:47 PM
I thought that was better than last week's. Even if it pains me to see them shove two characters together awkwardly for the sake of a thinly-veiled string of topical jokes.

See I thought the complaints about the previous episode could have been more accurately applied to this one. Easily the worst episode so far. Still it had some really funny moments. I liked Hermes clown disease and Fry's rescue of Amy, but large parts of the rest of were just not funny. Most unforgivably it contained the first not amusing appearance of Hedonism Bot. But its three good episodes to one bad so I'm happy with the return thus far.

ArugulaZ
07-08-2010, 11:44 PM
You know, these episodes are available on Amazon and iTunes, so you can actually pay for them if you want to be a chump like me. Or if you want to watch them on your computer in high-definition. Whatever.

I saw the eyePhone episode and it was actually pretty funny... up to the point where they introduced Susan the boil. We get it, she's not a pretty woman. Do you really need to beat that into the ground by making her a skin lesion with facial hair? It felt like one of Craig Ferguson's increasingly tiresome sketches awkwardly squeezed into the show.

Still, I'm not sure why everyone is shouting that it's the death of the series. There's room for improvement, certainly, but it doesn't "seem like a South Park episode with Futurama characters shoehorned in" or whatever was said earlier in this thread. A lot of the humor was genuine Futurama, like Mayor Poopenmeyer holding the robot baby before dumping it in the trash and Fry thoughtlessly saying to the clerk that he "looks like one of those ethnicities that are good with technology." I just think there needs to be more of that sharp, clever comedy, rather than resorting to the obvious and riding Ferguson's one-trick ponies.

* Someone's going to come to Ferguson's defense, I'm sure of it, but this guy's either lost it, or what he had has gone stale. Just how many times are you going to beat the "teasing hobos with chicken" joke into the ground there, Craigy? Maybe you can pick up where Letterman left off with Buttofuco while you're at it.

mopinks
07-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I think they're going out of their way to work as much almost-nudity into the show as possible. yay cable!!

p.s. THIS WAS A FUNNY EPISODE

Wolfgang
07-09-2010, 01:44 AM
This was the best episode yet. Of the new season.

"I too am hugging them in spirit. And now they're hugging me back! Ohhh myyyyyyy..."

Also: "Hooray denied!"

ALSO!: Ghost and horse.

TheSL
07-09-2010, 06:01 AM
I thought the short gags were totally back on track with this one, but the main plot still sucked.

Loki
07-09-2010, 07:30 AM
I watched these episodes and laughed. You guys are stupid and too critical.

Not really but I'm finding that I'm not bothered by the bad stuff as some people seem to be.

Tanto
07-09-2010, 08:06 AM
This episode was funny enough, but something's still... off. Too topical? Too flippant with their established relationships? (They've broken up Amy and Kif's relationship twice (three times?), mostly for cheap laughs, since the show was revived, when before it was shown that they had a stable and loving relationship.) Who knows, but they're not all the way back yet, if they'll ever be.

Also, is it just me or is every single voice actor overacting ever single line these days? This is fine with some characters (Zapp Brannigan and the Professor), but with everyone else it stinks of trying too hard.

Patrick
07-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Yeah, the plot and characters are still a bit off (and what would Amy and Bender even do together, anyway?), but it was the funniest episode since it's been back. The Ghost + Horse thing was hilarious, and it was much more evenly funny than the first few.

SwiftTheRedFox
07-09-2010, 09:15 AM
This episode was funny enough, but something's still... off. Too topical?

This is it to me. I don't remember them being so topical in their past seasons. There are certainly a lot of pop culture references but it seems like they are trying to damn hard with them. I'm still enjoying watching Futurama but it certainly is rusty.

Rascally Badger
07-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I am baffled that people who disliked the previous episodes enjoyed this one. It actually has the problems previously leveled. It is way too topical and the characters seem like parodies of their traits. I remember it being said that Amy was just a slut joke after a gag of her gearing up for an end of the world orgy, but this episode can only get where it wants to (Bender dating Amy) by forcing Amy to act like a ridiculous slut.

The gags continue to be spot on though. The crew corralling a tornado is probably the funniest scene of the new show. But it is still not enough to raise this episode to the level of the previous ones. It's not the worst ever, but it is definitely in the bottom 10% of all Futurama episodes.

Sprite
07-09-2010, 12:55 PM
"My parents may be evil, but at least they're stupid."

Adrenaline
07-09-2010, 12:56 PM
I am baffled that people who disliked the previous episodes enjoyed this one.

It's pretty clear at this point that you have no idea what makes Futurama good.

Andrew
07-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I remember it being said that Amy was just a slut joke after a gag of her gearing up for an end of the world orgy, but this episode can only get where it wants to (Bender dating Amy) by forcing Amy to act like a ridiculous slut.

It was part of a trend. I'm not the only one who noticed it.

This episode was funny enough, but something's still... off. Too topical? Too flippant with their established relationships? (They've broken up Amy and Kif's relationship twice (three times?), mostly for cheap laughs, since the show was revived, when before it was shown that they had a stable and loving relationship.)

See? Although some slack could be cut when Kif was, you know, dead. Also, I laughed as the smizmar joke. :)

There's room for improvement, certainly, but it doesn't "seem like a South Park episode with Futurama characters shoehorned in" or whatever was said earlier in this thread.

You're right. Most of South Park's "topical" shows aren't based on parodying stuff 2 years too late. Plus, it didn't help that the boil joke reminded me not just of South Park, but of one of the worst South Park episodes ever.

Yeah, the plot and characters are still a bit off (and what would Amy and Bender even do together, anyway?)

Three possible answers spring to mind:

1. It's just a show. You should really just relax.
2. Ask Lucy Liu...'s head.
3. You don't want the internet to answer that question.

Sprite
07-09-2010, 01:56 PM
The only thing that really bothered me is you'd think Amy and Kif's kids would get a mention in the break-up.

locit
07-09-2010, 02:16 PM
this episode can only get where it wants to (Bender dating Amy) by forcing Amy to act like a ridiculous slut.
Why is this acceptable, though?

Wolfgang
07-09-2010, 03:01 PM
People need to stop treating Futurama like it's a goddamned soap opera.

TheSL
07-09-2010, 03:30 PM

The plots are about the same level of quality at this point.

Reinforcements
07-09-2010, 04:17 PM
The plots are about the same level of quality at this point.
I think his point (and if it wasn't, then it's MY point) is that Futurama is a wacky comedy and of course the plots are ridiculous, they've always been, stop worrying about it.

Rascally Badger
07-09-2010, 09:19 PM
It's pretty clear at this point that you have no idea what makes Futurama good.

I could say the same of you and be at least 3 times as correct.

Why is this acceptable, though?

I did not say it was. I thought that it was bad. Because it was not funny. The orgy gag was funny, basing an episode on the same joke not as funny.

This.

I need to stop responding to people's complaints on the assumption that what they are arguing matters. As long as its funny, which it definitely has been, that is all that really matters. The closest thing to a complaint I have is that I want more Scuffy and Calculon.

Patrick
07-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Three possible answers spring to mind:

1. It's just a show. You should really just relax.
2. Ask Lucy Liu...'s head.
3. You don't want the internet to answer that question.

I don't really want an answer, I just thought it was something they would have commented on in the show (like w/ fry and the mermaid).

Some of you need to rewatch some old episodes, because like half of them have the characters entering into weird/temporary situations/relationships that only last for an episode.

I rewatched this with a friend over, and I laughed even harder at it.

Merus
07-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Are you boys being terrible on the Internet again? What did I tell you about that?!

locit
07-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I think it's pretty clear there are people here who enjoyed the original Futurama in different ways, and that the return exacerbated the otherwise unseen split. Looking at reviews (http://www.gotfuturama.com/cgi-bin/EpisodeReview.cgi?action=list) from the biggest Futurama fan site it's pretty evident there's been a drop in perceived quality, though there are some individual reviews within the groups voting for the new episode that think it was fantastic. The fact that our little argument is playing out on a grander scale is evidence enough of that.

The same thing happened with Family Guy when it returned. It's just Futurama had much, much further to fall after so many genuinely great seasons compared to family Guy's two decent ones.

Wolfgang
07-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I think his point (and if it wasn't, then it's MY point) is that Futurama is a wacky comedy and of course the plots are ridiculous, they've always been, stop worrying about it.

Pretty much. If I do have a complaint it's that the topical subjects aren't even that topical any more. It's like they're using scripts that were written while the show was still in production the first time. Which isn't bad, because they're still good.

Tanto
07-10-2010, 11:01 AM

I don't think this is quite accurate. The premise has always been ridiculous, but given that, one of the show's biggest charms is that it had very consistent characterization, strong plotting, and continuity without sacrificing any of the funny. It was never "The Simpsons, only in the future". This turn towards shaking up the whole universe to enable one-episode plots, then hitting the reset button afterwards stinks of Family Guy.

Adrenaline
07-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I need to stop responding to people's complaints on the assumption that what they are arguing matters. As long as its funny, which it definitely has been, that is all that really matters. The closest thing to a complaint I have is that I want more Scuffy and Calculon.

I don't want Futurama to be funny. I want it to be the best animated series ever again.

JohnB
07-10-2010, 02:46 PM
There were some goddammed hilarious jokes in Episode 4. WOULD WATCH AGAIN FIVE STARS

Andrew
07-16-2010, 05:45 PM
So there was a new episode yesterday.

That exciting, huh?

R.R. Bigman
07-16-2010, 06:07 PM
I liked the episode up to Fry and the Prof. going into outerspace.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, then Roswell That Ends Well came on and I was sad.

Andrew
07-16-2010, 06:46 PM
I know what you mean, but man, yeah---it really made the new episode look bad to see that right after.

Adrenaline
07-16-2010, 07:21 PM
It was all right.

Loki
07-17-2010, 06:00 AM
I've been happy with these new episodes so far but that last one really galled. It got better once they got to the planet but the pacing was weird and a lot of the writing was sloppy.

EXAMPLES! They throw up a title that reads "one month later" when Fry and the Prof arrive at the planet. What? This ancient machine can fly to a planet in a month? More so, Fry and the Professor have spent the month just sitting in a giant bell jar with nothing to eat? And they don't even comment on it? Smeash! I feel bad about myself for complaining ("when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something?") but wouldn't it have better to just not put up the one month title and not worry about it?

The episode had other bits that galled me the same way but it did have Fry nailing a nail with another nail, so it wasn't all bad.

Chu
07-17-2010, 06:10 AM
Yeah, that was weird. But the fight between Bender and monster in the fountain made me laugh. Other than that...

It was all right.

BEAT
07-17-2010, 01:58 PM
So I just caught up on all these new episodes

They're okay, but I wish they weren't so focused on being topical.

SwiftTheRedFox
07-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, that was weird. But the fight between Bender and monster in the fountain made me laugh. Other than that...

Yeah that was awesome. I've been to the Trevi Fountain in real life and it was funny to see it in Futurama.

Wolfgang
07-19-2010, 03:00 PM
EXAMPLES! They throw up a title that reads "one month later" when Fry and the Prof arrive at the planet. What? This ancient machine can fly to a planet in a month? More so, Fry and the Professor have spent the month just sitting in a giant bell jar with nothing to eat? And they don't even comment on it?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/Gojgera/thats_the_joke.jpg

Loki
07-19-2010, 03:03 PM
No. Nope.

Rascally Badger
07-19-2010, 08:43 PM
No. Nope.

Except yeah, it was.

Loki
07-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Then it was an unfunny and lame joke that created more problems than it did laffs and should have been cut. So says I, judge of all humor.

TheSL
07-20-2010, 07:11 AM
I'll just be glad when they run out of jokes that stopped being contemporary a decade ago, like parodying Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

Loki
07-20-2010, 07:19 AM
And another thing: no, that's not the joke. That's the set-up.
A funny quip or some lampshading that it took a month would have alleviated the problem. As it stands it's a set-up without a punchline. And that they don't comment on it makes it weird and incongruous.

Blergmeister
07-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Then it was an unfunny and lame joke that created more problems than it did laffs and should have been cut. So says I, judge of all humor.

I think the joke would have been funnier if they were even more absurd about it. The caption should have read 3 years later!

Rascally Badger
07-20-2010, 08:15 PM
I'll just be glad when they run out of jokes that stopped being contemporary a decade ago, like parodying Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

yeah, like doing a Titanic parody 3 years after the movie came out. I'm not confused about people not liking this stuff, only that they seem to think that it is a new trend and not something that had been a part of the show since it started.

Posaune
07-20-2010, 08:19 PM
yeah, like doing a Titanic parody 3 years after the movie came out. I'm not confused about people not liking this stuff, only that they seem to think that it is a new trend and not something that had been a part of the show since it started.

In fairness it was only one or two years out max.

Adrenaline
07-21-2010, 10:43 AM
It was two! Yaayyyy!

Posaune
07-21-2010, 07:43 PM
It feels like only one since I was in 5th grade when Titanic came out and 6th grade when Futurama started.

Sorry for sounding like a young little shit.

Andrew
07-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Wasn't Titanic in theaters for several months after it came out, too?

Regardless of the timeframe, I'd still say that the Titanic episode was still, you know, really funny/good regardless of when it came out, and regardless of whether you went "ha ha, it's like Titanic the movie!"

Most of the other parodies I thought were not terribly distracting when I watched them years later. Like Single Female Lawyer, or all the obvious Starship Trooper references in War is the H Word.

Pretty much every comedy show is going to do pop culture references. However, for a show like Futurama, I think it needs to be less on the cultural relevance scale of SNL and more towards something like MST3K.

Rascally Badger
07-22-2010, 05:22 AM
I'm not arguing that the cultural references aren't dated, I just still think the show is funny. I would not be surprised to find out that large parts of these new episodes were done before the show was cancelled. This is middling Futurama, like most of the show before it was cancelled. Which is still better than 90% of what's on TV. I think we are one or two truly great episode away from just as good as any other Futurama season.

Adrenaline
07-22-2010, 06:28 AM
I would not be surprised to find out that large parts of these new episodes were done before the show was cancelled.

Uh, no.

Andrew
07-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I totally don't think "One Month Later" was a joke. There's a canon reason for the dark matter engines to make space travel seem instantaneous.

...which would be moot now since the spacecrafts run on whale oil now...but, you know. :P

I think someone noticed it seemed almost instantaneous and just threw that caption in.

The more glaring thing is that no one would know about this other planet when we've effectively been space traveling for over 1000 years, and traveling to other galaxies for quite a while. Still, they tend to throw in a previously undiscovered planet all the time.

Dawnswalker
07-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Every space-faring science fiction show ever is constantly discovering "Planet of the Week."

Besides, it's Futurama. Half of the cast is too stupid to notice, or care, how many planets are out there.

Also, it's a comedy. Absurdity is funny!

Andrew
07-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Obvious ending aside, I thought this week's episode was pretty good. Hell, I didn't notice a half-assed, dated pop culture reference clogging up the works, either!

Unless that iguana was supposed to be a reference from Bad Lieutenant: POCNO, which is so obscure and random it doesn't matter either way.

Beta Metroid
07-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I enjoyed the episode pretty thoroughly. Of course, it can't match the Globetrotters episode that followed it, but that's alright.

Rascally Badger
07-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Uh, no.

I meant the scripts, not any animation or anything. I would not be surprised if some of these were outlines or some scenes from scripts or at the very least ideas in the heads of the writers from before the show was cancelled.

And this was another good episode. Best Hermes centered episode in the series, but considering that the only other one is How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back thats not saying a whole lot. Though that previous episode had a song and this one didn't but even that is not quite enough.

Patrick
07-23-2010, 09:32 AM
I love the first Hermes episode, but this one was good too. I thought the wall around Mexico was a bit much though.

Andrew
07-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Apparently 1000 years from now, Mexican architecture is just like in Speedy Gonzales cartoons.

SpoonyBardOL
07-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Aww, the ending of that episode was nice.

SOMEONE SAID HOWITZER!!!

JohnB
07-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I saw the ending coming a mile away (who didn't?), but Baby Bender just melted my cold little heart and so I think that overall I liked it. THE END.

bobbywatson
07-24-2010, 07:27 PM
The ending of this weeks show kinda reminded me of the ending of "Jurassic Bark" but, you know, just not tear jerking.

I have to say that this episode was pretty much my favorite of the season so far. I like Hermes, and I enjoy the whole bureaucrat thing immensely (having work in both a government organization and a big bureaucratic IT consulting firm in the past, I appreciate some of the criticism).

And baby Bender was just way too cute. I want it on a poster, damn it!

Andrew
07-24-2010, 08:51 PM
The ending of this weeks show kinda reminded me of the ending of "Jurassic Bark" but, you know, just not tear jerking.

It was more like the ending to "Leela's Homeworld," IMO.

Also, the killbots running gag still kills me. :p

bobbywatson
07-25-2010, 02:27 AM
It was more like the ending to "Leela's Homeworld," IMO.

I had forgotten about that one but, yeah, you're right.

Adrenaline
07-25-2010, 07:24 AM
I have to say, the more I think about it the more this episode bothers me. Obviously Bender previously appeared as a child robot in "Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles", but that might have just been a throwaway gag like Zoidberg's constant transformations. What the baby thing does here is totally ignore what they previously established about Bender's youth. The first time his assembly was depicted, it was as a fully "grown" robot. I mean, how does a child robot work? Does it somehow build itself into an "adult" over time? What would the point of that be? It was also previously established that Bender was only three years old early on in the show (before all those times he went back in time and then waited years and years to be in the 3000s again), meaning even if the child robot form made sense, Hermes wouldn't look nearly that young when he inspected him.

Now before you say anything, yeah I know it's just a cartoon and they can do what they want and it's just jokes and yadda yadda it doesn't matter. It just bothers me when anything just completely ignores what it had already previously established. It's not the same as the constant gags about Bender being so-and-so % something, with the total being way over 100% by this point.

Andrew
07-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Don't forget Bender having the rest of his body regrown from stem cells. :p

ArugulaZ
07-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Why would there be any child robots? Why do we have Tinny Tim, an android that's not only a child, but defectively built as a nod to a Charles Dickens novel? Why do we have Hedonism-bot, probably the most useless machine ever created? Why do we have the Robot Mafia, designed especially to commit crimes without an apparent human benefactor? Why the hell do robots on the show have sex when we know damned well they can't procreate?

A lot of it is just comedy, but I imagine that somewhere along the line, robots got as smart as the people who built them and just did whatever the hell they wanted, even if it didn't make any apparent sense. They seem to have free will, at least as long as Mom doesn't press her "robot revolt" button, so why not?

Adrenaline
07-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Because what's the point of remembering that Bender was built in Mexico if you don't remember that he was built in 2997? Why have continuity at all if it could be changed at any moment for an easy joke?

Wolfgang
07-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Haters gonna hate.

Aside: that's possibly one of the most useful phrases I've seen, recently.

Adrenaline
07-25-2010, 12:21 PM
For the record, I liked the episode a lot. Really fun road movie kind of story. That part just bugged me.

JohnB
07-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Because what's the point of remembering that Bender was built in Mexico if you don't remember that he was built in 2997? Why have continuity at all if it could be changed at any moment for an easy joke?

THIS. This is exactly what bothered me about the whole damn episode. I'd rather it didn't happen at all.

Rascally Badger
07-25-2010, 09:45 PM

How do we know that Bender is three years old? Because Bender said it? Bender who lies all the time, who is made of more than 150% of different materials? Who's to say that that wasn't 2997 and Hermes just got fat really fast like a retired athlete who now has a desk job? I think you're just looking for things to hate. You probably don't like Country Bear Jamboree, either.

bobbywatson
07-26-2010, 04:42 AM
How do we know that Bender is three years old? Because Bender said it? Bender who lies all the time, who is made of more than 150% of different materials? Who's to say that that wasn't 2997 and Hermes just got fat really fast like a retired athlete who now has a desk job? I think you're just looking for things to hate. You probably don't like Country Bear Jamboree, either.

I don't think Bender is 3 years old. He was probably 3 years old when he met Fry in the pilot episode, but from what I understand the series is not taking place in the year 3000 anymore, more like 3005 or something.

Adrenaline
07-26-2010, 06:59 AM

Why on earth would I want to find reasons to dislike new episodes of one of my favorite shows ever?

jpfriction
07-26-2010, 07:10 AM
Why on earth want to find reasons to dislike new episodes of one of my favorite shows ever?

Yeah, that'd be like finding reasons to dislike molten boron. Nobody doesn't like molten boron.

Patrick
07-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Why would there be any child robots? Why do we have Tinny Tim, an android that's not only a child, but defectively built as a nod to a Charles Dickens novel? Why do we have Hedonism-bot, probably the most useless machine ever created? Why do we have the Robot Mafia, designed especially to commit crimes without an apparent human benefactor? Why the hell do robots on the show have sex when we know damned well they can't procreate?

My favorite useless robot quirk was always Fatbot. He's a fat robot... named Fatbot!

Googleshng
07-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Pfft, AGAIN with the dated pop culture references? The Time Machine was written 115 years ago guys! You REALLY missed the boat on that one!

Wolfgang
07-30-2010, 01:19 AM
If you didn't like tonight's episode you're officially a Bad Person.

Rascally Badger
07-30-2010, 01:32 AM

This very much.

Knee-jerk reaction: one of the great Futurama episodes. Not the middle of the road good of the last few weeks but top 10 in the series good.

Adrenaline
07-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Too few of the jokes landed for it to join the ranks of the truly great episodes. But the story itself was very nice.

SpoonyBardOL
07-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Pretty good episode, yeah. I also think it's not one of 'the best', but it's been the best it's been all season. When you think about it, after that dip in quality with the Boyle episode it's been climbing again. Hopefully that episode really was just an anomaly and not a sign of things to come.

That was the old Fry. He's dead now.

Loki
07-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Oh dear. I mean, oh my.

Wolfgang
07-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Oh dear. I mean, oh my.

"Thanks for the air, and so on."

That episode had more LOL moments than any other for me this season, and LOTS more quotable lines. "Tonight I want to not throw up... on you."

Adrenaline
07-30-2010, 12:37 PM
It was definitely the best episode of the season, though maybe not the funniest. The fast-forward through history was pretty great.

Wolfgang
07-30-2010, 01:37 PM
"And then the birds took over and ruined their society! And then cows! And then - I dunno, is that a slug, maybe? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Abominable K
07-31-2010, 06:27 AM
In the Year 252525
The backwards Time Machine still won't have arrived
In the world there is only one technology
A rusty sword for practicing proctology

SpoonyBardOL
07-31-2010, 07:31 AM
Now that I think about it, the only thing about the episode I really didn't like was how Katey Segal sounded identical even as old Leela. I wish she would've tried to sound a little, y'know, older. It was just kinda jarring. Even Amy-bot made the effort to sound age-appropriate.

Wolfgang
07-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Now that I think about it, the only thing about the episode I really didn't like was how Katey Segal sounded identical even as old Leela. I wish she would've tried to sound a little, y'know, older. It was just kinda jarring. Even Amy-bot made the effort to sound age-appropriate.

Lauren Tom does the voices for both Amy and her mother, which is basically what Amybot sounded like - Amy's mother. She also does the same voices, more or less, for Minh and Khan Jr. on King Of The Hill, so she's had a lot more practice than Katey Segal at doing young/old voices.

Andrew
07-31-2010, 02:04 PM
In other words, Lauren Tom is a very experienced and talented voice actress, while Katey Sagal pretty much does one voice, her own.

Still, it's something I'm surprised that the voice director wouldn't have addressed in some fashion.

Wolfgang
07-31-2010, 02:07 PM
In other words, Lauren Tom is a very experienced and talented voice actress, while Katey Sagal pretty much does one voice, her own.

Well, more like Lauren Tom can do two voices. Which isn't a crack, or one against Segal, as I couldn't see anyone else as Leela now. Not everyone can be a Tress MacNeille or Billy West.

Andrew
07-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Well, more like Lauren Tom can do two voices. Which isn't a crack, or one against Segal, as I couldn't see anyone else as Leela now. Not everyone can be a Tress MacNeille or Billy West.

Naw, more than that. It's just she's usually stuck with stereotypical Asian voices.

Sprite
07-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Alright, I loved that episode, and liked the one before it. New Futurama is aces.

JohnB
07-31-2010, 04:34 PM

Adrenaline
07-31-2010, 05:55 PM
It casts kind of a weird light on the rest of the series going forward... knowing that Fry, the Professor, and Bender are billions of years older than everyone else and just interacting with exact duplicates of dead people they knew.

SwiftTheRedFox
07-31-2010, 08:58 PM
It casts kind of a weird light on the rest of the series going forward... knowing that Fry, the Professor, and Bender are billions of years older than everyone else and just interacting with exact duplicates of dead people they knew.

That's if you think about it that way. I like my Futurama without thinking too hard about it.

Adrenaline
07-31-2010, 09:00 PM
That's if you think about it that way. I like my Futurama without thinking too hard about it.

It doesn't change everything forever, but it will probably be in the back of my mind for at least a while. That's not the Leela Fry fell in love with. It's someone exactly like her.

ArugulaZ
07-31-2010, 09:35 PM

This was one of the few bright spots in Star Trek: Voyager. The Voyager meets itself from an alternate dimension, and the second ship is destroyed. Ensign Kim is also killed, but they managed to rescue the Kim from the other ship and quickly fold him into the crew. When new-Kim complains that the whole thing feels a little weird, Janeway replies with uncharacteristic brilliance:

"It's Starfleet, Ensign. Weird's part of the job."

Wolfgang
07-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Considering how many times Fry's been killed, dismembered, blown up, etc., being old is actually the least of his worries. Anyway, it's not like he actually lived during all that time, he was just passing through.

But if you DO think he's "actually" quadrillions of years old, don't feel TOO badly for him - technically he was working late and on the clock the whole time.

ArugulaZ
08-01-2010, 02:45 AM
Seriously. The professor owes him trillions in overtime at this point.

I just watched this episode. It was pretty good! The jokes were funny, the science-fiction clever... what more could you want? Anyone who says the old Futurama is dead is clearly talking out of their backsides. Leela is one seriously ugly granny, though.

Sprite
08-01-2010, 05:53 AM
This serves two purposes.

First, it validates the arc original Leela had, instead of wiping it out of existence like most time travel storylines, while still bringing things back to the status quo. I like that.

Second, it's really funny. I like that too.

(You didn't prevent any paradox, guys! You were going forward in time. All you did was kill some people.)

ArugulaZ
08-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Well, this does invalidate Fry's comment that "time isn't cyclical, it's a straight line" from an earlier episode. But it was the crummy episode where Fry was harangued by his awful girlfriend, appropriately played by Sarah Silverman, so who cares.

Adrenaline
08-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Considering how many times Fry's been killed, dismembered, blown up, etc., being old is actually the least of his worries. Anyway, it's not like he actually lived during all that time, he was just passing through.

That's not the part that really gets me.

Well, this does invalidate Fry's comment that "time isn't cyclical, it's a straight line" from an earlier episode.

Clearly no one had observed the rebirth of the universe yet.

Calorie Mate
08-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I thought it was...ok. Felt a little too much like they were trying to force out a "Luck of the Fryish"-style episode.

It's also probably that I haven't watched the season since Episode 2 that makes me like it less - you guys are hungry for something funny by now. I mean, it was fine, but then TiVo recorded "The Deep South" right after it and I watched that, too, and laughed way more. It still feels off.

ArugulaZ
08-01-2010, 12:38 PM
There's never going to be another Deep South, or Amazon Women in the Mood, or Problem with Popplers. Those were like, the best episodes of the entire series! However, I thought this was a lot better than the Cyber House Rules (barf) or A Pharaoh to Remember. It's far from being at the bottom of the pile is what I guess I'm saying.

locit
08-01-2010, 01:06 PM
I liked Futurama because it made me think. The new episodes I've watched, including the Bender-Hermes episode, just don't do that. They drag out jokes and repeat the premises needed to get said jokes until they're beating you over the head with them. I think we would've probably gotten nine solid seasons of Futurama if it hadn't been canceled, much like what we got with the Simpsons. As it stands these episodes feel like they miss the spark in the same way Simpsons circa season 10 onward did.

I get wanting to like the new episodes because they're more of what was my favorite show for a very long time. And I can see Futurama becoming decently funny again, much like some Simpsons episodes are today. But I don't think they're ever going to reach the same highs they hit in the first four seasons, and anything less than that set in the same universe just feels hollow. It's not that the new episodes are ranked among the lower or mid-tier pre-cancellation episodes --it's that they're a different beast altogether. The environment in which they're being written and produced is totally different, and nothing is going to bring back that same presence of a scrappy, intelligent underdog taking risks and fighting for its life on the constant brink of cancellation.

Googleshng
08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
There's never going to be another Deep South, or Amazon Women in the Mood, or Problem with Popplers. Those were like, the best episodes of the entire series! However, I thought this was a lot better than the Cyber House Rules (barf) or A Pharaoh to Remember. It's far from being at the bottom of the pile is what I guess I'm saying.

It actually really bugs me how Comedy Central seems to be going "OK, here's a new episode... now let's find a great old episode to play right after it so it looks bad in comparison!" That's intentionally encouraging curmudgeons!

Donny
08-01-2010, 05:12 PM
So I watched this week's episode based on your guys' comments about it...and I liked it! The one liners were fantastic and the concept was clever as hell. I agree with Locit that it feels very much still like the original spark they had is gone overall but if this is the sort of episode we can expect from the series from now on instead of those horrid topical (seven years ago maybe) ones then I think I can live with that. This one doesn't stand up to the best of Futurama, but then neither does the bulk of Futurama period.

As for those of you bugged that Fry is now going out with a "copy" of Leela...the impression I got was that they went so far into the future that when that universe "ended" they simply went to the start of the next parallel universe. So its less that everyone they knew is a copy now and more an alternate counterpart. (http://starslip.com/2006/06/08/starslip-number-275/) This Starslip in particular solves that problem (http://starslip.com/2005/08/17/starslip-number-63/) nicely.

Rascally Badger
08-01-2010, 08:55 PM
I get what people are saying about it being different. I think its due to the move to comedy central and the more lax attitude toward "mature" humor. They can now do all the sex jokes they want and work less hard to get them on the screen. This is evident in Amy's primary gags going from clumsiness to sluttyness. I think its a purposeful change in an attempt to cater to a bigger Comedy Central audience that are immature teenagers and the like. I do not think they've lost the stuff that made the old Futurama great. But I think the people who think the show has had a significant drop in quality since its return highly overrate most of the original run and I say that with the Fox run being probably my second favorite TV show ever. The bulk of old Futurama did not make you think, though they did hide plenty of obscure jokes in the background that can really only be caught in numerous re-watches, it was tons of Fry is dumb, the professor is old jokes with plenty of math jokes sprinkled on top. I'll admit to noticing the the math jokes are easier now, meaning that you do not have to know some calculus to get them, but they are still there. So if you think the slight change in tone has ruined the show, I'm sorry you can't enjoy great TV like me.

locit
08-01-2010, 09:00 PM
So if you think the slight change in tone has ruined the show, I'm sorry you can't enjoy great TV like me.
We were like, this close to amicable disagreement until you acted a dick.

Rascally Badger
08-01-2010, 09:10 PM
We were like, this close to amicable disagreement until you acted a dick.

It's what I do.

Adrenaline
08-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I get what people are saying about it being different. I think its due to the move to comedy central and the more lax attitude toward "mature" humor.

That's not it, dude. It's the fact that they were off air for seven years and it just isn't the same anymore. It's unfortunate but to be expected. And frankly, some of the stuff you're saying about the old episodes makes me glad I don't like the new ones as much as you.

Rascally Badger
08-02-2010, 09:46 PM
That's not it, dude. It's the fact that they were off air for seven years and it just isn't the same anymore. It's unfortunate but to be expected. And frankly, some of the stuff you're saying about the old episodes makes me glad I don't like the new ones as much as you.

I love the old episodes. There is not a truly bad episode of Futurama, (relative to other television shows, not to other episodes of Futurama) but it seems like many of the people who do not like the new stuff only remember "Roswell the Ends Well," "Jurassic Bark" and "Time Keeps on Slippin'." But for everyone of those there is a "That's Lobstertainment," "A Flight to Remember" or "A Pharoah to Remember." ( I did not realize they reused that title until just now.) They are just as blinded by nostalgia as I am for loving this because of the old stuff. (Hell yes I know I'm somewhat overrating the new stuff, but I think anyone who thinks it falls drastically short of the old standard is deluding themselves as well.)

So far to me this seems a lot like the first season of Futurama, when there were moments of greatness, but plenty of misses as the makers found exactly the direction they were going to go. Only now when they are unsure they reference the old stuff. But considering my other options for TV comedy, especially animated I'll take all the new Futurama I can get.

Andrew
08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Really strong lineup tonight, consisting of Luck of the Fryish, last week's episode, the new episode, and Jurassic Bark. I missed last week's, so was great to catch in its entirely, and the new ep was pretty good!

Rascally Badger
08-05-2010, 11:15 PM
I liked that Amy being a student was mentioned for the third time in the series and that they did not make one "Amy is a slut" joke. And the cats acted like I would expect intelligent cats to act like, mostly. I also liked that the crew knows Nibbler is intelligent but still treat him like a pet anyway. Overall I found the episode in line with the quality of the rest of the season, however good you might think that is.

Andrew
08-06-2010, 12:11 AM
I liked that Amy being a student was mentioned for the third time in the series and that they did not make one "Amy is a slut" joke. And the cats acted like I would expect intelligent cats to act like, mostly. I also liked that the crew knows Nibbler is intelligent but still treat him like a pet anyway. Overall I found the episode in line with the quality of the rest of the season, however good you might think that is.

It makes one wonder just what Hypnotoad's ultimate agenda is. :p

Rascally Badger
08-06-2010, 12:33 AM
It makes one wonder just what Hypnotoad's ultimate agenda is. :p

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

(I think I may be the only person who watched the episode of Everybody Loves Hypnotoad included on Bender's Big Score. The best part is when it does a scene change with an establishing shot then goes back to the noise.)

Wolfgang
08-06-2010, 01:03 AM
It might be that I'm watching it at 4am, but the fact of the matter is, I had to pause the video to laugh for thirty seconds and I haven't gotten past Cash 4 Bones yet.